Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hot in Cleveland

Is this show any good? Was channel surfing and stumbled upon a special episode highlighting the coming season. The clips are pretty funny. As a whole, is the show any good, or it just so-so with some funny moments scattered throughout?

by Anonymousreply 3703/29/2014

It's very good - better than most network sitcoms.

3 superb comediennes: the brilliant Wendie Malick, the clever Jane Leeves, and Betty White (who's a little slower than we remember her, but she is 88), and Valerie Bertinelli doesn't embarrass herself too much.

And lots of hot guys as guests, incl. John Schneider and Robert Gant.

Definitely worth watching, OP.

by Anonymousreply 112/27/2010

Valerie Bertinelli and Jane Leeves, respectively, play fat and old.%0D %0D Wendie Malick is brilliant, and Betty White is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 212/27/2010

Who wants to watch four old broads hanging around?

by Anonymousreply 312/27/2010

It's a very old-school, 80s-style sitcom. Not a bad thing, necessarily, but not appointment TV either. Imagine the "Sex and the City" girls transplanted to the midwest with "The Golden Girls" Sophia thrown into the mix.

by Anonymousreply 412/27/2010

And it's getting better. Most successful sitcoms of the past have taken a while to find their groove. Seinfeld, Raymond all teetered on the verge of cancellation until they hit their stride.

by Anonymousreply 512/27/2010

Malick is hilarious as the aging soap star. She really makes the show.

by Anonymousreply 612/27/2010

Hi Wendie/R6!

by Anonymousreply 712/27/2010

Hi Valerie/R7!

by Anonymousreply 812/27/2010

It's really coming into its own now. The writing and characterizations have started to gel beautifully. And I disagree with the aforementioned negative comments about Bertinelli. She's a wonderful straightwoman and the glue with which the show is held together. And White was just nominated for a SAG award. I predict it will be huge in its second season. Appointment television.

by Anonymousreply 912/27/2010

Maybe I am easily entertained, but I thought the one with Huey Lewis was hilarious. The scene in the hotel room had me laughing so hard my face hurt. He should do more cameos. The Lady Pants episode was also very funny.

Huey episode at link. FF to around the 4 minute mark.

by Anonymousreply 1012/27/2010

Watched the first season. Awful. These actresses deserve better.

by Anonymousreply 1112/29/2010

They are getting big names wanting to be on the show. Everyone wants to work with Betty. The show will probably not outlive Betty.

by Anonymousreply 1212/29/2010

Was just going to post that very thing, R10. Very funny episode. Huey was great as was Wendy.

by Anonymousreply 1312/29/2010

How is HiC faring?

by Anonymousreply 1410/23/2012

It is pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 1510/23/2012

Producers need to get their shit together and push Wendie for an Emmy. She is the shining star but all anyone sees in Betty, who I love but Wendy deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 1610/23/2012

Wendy is a vastly underrated (and underused) comedic actress. I do like the rest of the cast as well. No, it's not a groundbreaking sitcom, it's sort of old fashioned, but it's superior to a lot of crap that passes for comedy on major networks.

by Anonymousreply 1710/23/2012

I'm sorry, this show is for eldergays who stopped keeping track of pop culture in 1979.

by Anonymousreply 1810/23/2012

What about elder gays who continue to track pop culture [r18]?

by Anonymousreply 1910/23/2012

I've watched this show a few times, but never once actually laughed. It just seems corny & predictable to me.

by Anonymousreply 2010/23/2012

Valerie is adorable, and is good at setting up jokes.

by Anonymousreply 2110/23/2012

I can understand if people like it as a campy throwback, but anyone calling it brilliant is an idiot.

It's awful, hack comedy with piped-in laughs. If you watch Jay Leno every night, it's right up your alley.

by Anonymousreply 2210/24/2012

Most of the great sitcoms had a laugh track.

by Anonymousreply 2310/24/2012

it's actually taped before a live audience, although I'm sure there is some laugh track thrown in.

It's a good, funny show. They're all great actresses, but I agree with Malick's portrayal of Victoria. Emmy-worthy.

And, seriously, "Happily Divorced" is just as good. I've NEVER liked anything Drescher is in, but that is a funny show.

Great shows to record and watch at your convenience.

by Anonymousreply 2410/24/2012

It's a pretty funny show. I consider "Golden Girls" one of the best sitcoms of all time, and this show uses GG as a model. It comes close, but not as brilliant. Still a fun time though!

by Anonymousreply 2510/24/2012

[quote]I'm sorry, this show is for eldergays who stopped keeping track of pop culture in 1979.

Isn't there an rerun of "Whitney" you should be watching, instead of boring us?

by Anonymousreply 2610/24/2012

Is the term "eldergay" supposed to be some sort of insult? Because, you know, it' s not. It just shows that a poster who uses the term to be afraid of aging and a combination of ignorance and arrogance, a lethal mix.

Hot in Cleveland is hilarious. It's "comfort TV." It doesn't have any pretense about being "brilliant," it's just funny. And that is rare on television in 2012.

by Anonymousreply 2710/24/2012

I thought is was hilarious when Valerie was in the sexaholics anonymous meeting and the guy told her to take it "one day at a time" and she had a look on her face like "where have I heard that before?".

It's a fun, simple show that is a throwback to older sitcoms. But thats why it's enjoyable. I also like The Exes.

by Anonymousreply 2810/24/2012

I like that Victoria has a feud going with Susan Lucci which includes numerous short jokes when ever Lucci guest stars. I know she is not always the greatest dramatic actress, but Lucci seems to be game to spoof herself, and I think she has pretty good comedic timing. She and Mallick play well off of each other.

by Anonymousreply 2910/24/2012

The funniest episode was with Huey Lewis as an ex of Wendy Malick. He was quite adept at physical humor.

by Anonymousreply 3010/24/2012

Elder gay here to tell you that Golden Girls was great for comebacks and one liners, but was by no means brilliant, neither is HIC nor Fran Drescher's show. They're just fun to watch. Malik deserves an emmy for all the great work she has done through the years.

by Anonymousreply 3110/24/2012

[quote]Hot in Cleveland is hilarious. It's "comfort TV." It doesn't have any pretense about being "brilliant," it's just funny. And that is rare on television in 2012.

I like smart and funny at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 3210/24/2012

Jennifer Love Hewitt as Emmy, Victoria's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 3302/14/2013

I just watch because I enjoy seeing Betty White having those small strokes every taping with no one on the set noticing. It's great.

by Anonymousreply 3402/14/2013

Val's gained the weight back.

by Anonymousreply 3503/29/2014

With all the times Hollywood tried to do an American version of Ab Fab (official or unofficial), I'm surprised no one thought about casting Wendie Malick as an American version of Patsy.

by Anonymousreply 3603/29/2014

R35 Yep. I saw her on Dr. Oz the other day and I couldn't believe how chunky she's gotten. Looked old too.

by Anonymousreply 3703/29/2014
Need more help? Click Here.