Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Question for Owners of Older Dogs

My "baby", a Miniature Schnauzer, is 14 years old and has become incontinent. I'm callng the vet tomorrow to see if there's any medication he can take to alleviate some of this (doggy Ditropan?) but since I know there are many dog lovers here, I thought I would ask what some of you have done. %0D %0D I love him, but the carpet's taking a beating (he has a porch to go on and gets plenty of walks, but he's still having problems holding it). %0D %0D I appreciate any wisdom you have to share.

by Anonymousreply 6701/09/2013

Doggy diapers?

by Anonymousreply 112/26/2010

There are those "diapers" that females in heat wear. Maybe that could be useful? I have an elderly cat (17 in April) and she's starting to have a few health problems. It's heartbreaking. %0D %0D You sound like a good dad; the best of luck to you.

by Anonymousreply 212/26/2010

We're talking urine, right? If so, Proin works great on my dog. Tightens up sphincters.

by Anonymousreply 312/26/2010

My elderly dog had an accident on my upstairs carpet and I started thinking about this. I don't have a solution, but I thought taking out the carpet might be the easiest thing (my dog is already on meds and I'd prefer to not add more).

by Anonymousreply 412/26/2010

I know that there is something the rescue groups use on incontinate male dogs called belly bands. They wrap around the dog and have a little pad inside to absorb the urine.

by Anonymousreply 612/26/2010

When was the last time you had a dog, r5?

by Anonymousreply 812/26/2010

I am sorry about your pup. I have had a lot of dogs in my life. At some point you have to forget about the carpet and determine the dogs quality of life. At 14 you need to consider that he may be trying to tell you something. I am hoping things turn out ok for you both. Best of luck.

by Anonymousreply 912/26/2010

R9 reads like my last fan letter to June Allyson.

by Anonymousreply 1012/26/2010

My Mini Schnauzer will be five this spring.

I love her to death and I am sorry for your pain.

I know that house-trained dogs are very ashamed when they make a mess in the house, so please keep that in mind. I would try meds or the diaper if the vet thinks it is a good idea. If your baby is still enjoying life and isn't feeling pain, I would stand by him the way he has stood by you all these years.

God bless.

by Anonymousreply 1112/26/2010

R8, my guess? yesterday. for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 1212/26/2010

My dog was put on PPA when she became incontinent in her senior years. It worked really well for over three years until other serious health issues cropped up. I would not have traded those three slowed down but good years for anything.

Senior dogs change yet still can have happy twilight years. I can't believe people would suggest putting a beloved pet down at the first sign of old age, but then again this is the DL.

by Anonymousreply 1312/26/2010

%0D carries diaper pants and other supplies for incontinent male dogs. See the link. %0D %0D Hang in there OP. A few years ago, I went through this issue with my elderly Lab. The diapers worked well, even with a dog of his size.

by Anonymousreply 1412/26/2010

Cheers to older dogs! god, I love them. %0D %0D %0D Try the doggie diapers OP. If he isn't in pain, try everything under the sun to help him.%0D %0D %0D Cheers to the cat lovers too.. I know they are reading here.. because I always read their threads too.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1512/27/2010

Been through this myself with several dogs over the years, and ruined carpets. Here's what I've learned:%0D %0D It may simply be an urinary tract infection, so good thing that you're seeing the vet.%0D %0D If it not an urinary tract infection, consider belly bands. %0D %0D Note that the belly bands at Petco, etc. are awful, ill-fitting, etc. -- Look into some of the other belly band websites where they make the belly band (basically like a cumberbund) according to the measurements of your dog, and even using fabric you select. Once you find a supplier that has the quality and fit that works for you, you will want several of these so you'll have a clean one when others are in the wash. You put a pad inside to absorb the urine, but you will still want to change the bands themselves daily.%0D %0D Hope this helps, and good luck.

by Anonymousreply 1612/27/2010

This past week I had to put my 15 year old dog down. I still cry daily. She was incontinent for the last 11 months due to renal failure and I suspect from complications of a splenic hemangioma. She was put on desmopressin and it was somewhat effective, but didn't totally eliminate the incontinence.

As far as diapers go, I found that the dog diapers still allowed leakage because they cut the tail hole too large. So, I would use child diapers and cut a tail hole only big enough for the tail to fit through. Worked like a charm.

I wish you the best of luck OP...

by Anonymousreply 1712/27/2010

No advice for OP, as my dog never had this problem, but I'm happy to report that R5 passed away about half an hour ago. No need to grieve folks, it was time.

by Anonymousreply 1812/27/2010

Best to wait until the vet does a blood panel and urinalysis, OP. Treatment/management options will depend on the cause. If your dog is unneutered, odds are high he's got prostate problems. Or it could be chronic renal failure, or a number of other things. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 1912/27/2010

My 12-year old un-neutered male mutt developed urine spotting problems (with blood) and it was indeed due to enlarged prostate. Had him snipped and he's been a happy pup, although he's gained a few pounds.

by Anonymousreply 2012/27/2010

OP, check to see if your dog may have "Cushings" disease. The vet can give better details than I, but it causes your dog to have to urinate ALL the time.%0D %0D My dog has it.

by Anonymousreply 2112/27/2010

65 Seconals and a bottle of Scotch

by Anonymousreply 2212/27/2010

OP I have a 17 and a half year old Mini Schnauzer here who's still full of life.

She also finds it difficult to hold it but as long as I take her out every 3 or 4 hours she doesn't mess. Have you got an uncarpeted area you could leave her in when you're going to be out for long periods?

by Anonymousreply 2312/27/2010

male incontinence if very different from female incontinence, so many of the medications mentioned on this thread won't work on a male dog. belly bands on the otherhand, are really easy to use on male dogs, and do a much better job then the diapers females are forced to use.

and i'd like to put down the bitch at r5 if he ever becomes incontinent. at 14, a smaller dog could have many excellent years left.

by Anonymousreply 2412/27/2010

[quote]and R5 ain't korean, knowwhatimean?????

Actually I don't know what you mean. What do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 2512/27/2010

What do you do with a diaper afterwards? Doesn't everything get smeared into the fur? Do you have to wipe the dog's butt and hose it off? Do baby wipes work for that?

by Anonymousreply 2612/27/2010

R26, no. If it's urine, the diapers are fantastic at absorbing. You may want to take a baby wipe to "freshen" the butt once in a while though. Fecal matter is'll definitely want to be cleaning the rump regularly to avoid smell.

by Anonymousreply 2712/27/2010

My 15 year old Spaniel has Cushing's and has to go a lot. So far, she's been pretty good about not going in the house, but when she gets outside, she squats and pees for what seems like forever. Cushing's also makes dogs drink copious amounts of water...unbelievable. Interestingly, as I work all day, I don't think she drinks any water at all while I'm gone...she lays downstairs by the garage door waiting for me to come home. But the minute I'm home, she darts upstairs (where her water is) and starts drinking and almost devours an entire bowl of water.%0D %0D Good luck, OP. My dog is 15 and my sweet male tabby cat is 13. It gets very scary once your pets start reaching that age.

by Anonymousreply 2812/27/2010

Keeping aging pets around long after they should be is selfish as hell. They don't understand all the treatments and proceedures we put them through because we can't let them go. They just understand pain.

by Anonymousreply 2912/27/2010

"Time for it to be put down. It's a fucking 14 year old dog - honestly, that is 98 years old in human years.%0D %0D It's a dog. Get another one once you have appropriately grieved"%0D %0D You're an ASS HAT. GET OFF THIS BOARD NOW!%0D

by Anonymousreply 3012/27/2010

If your dog is suffering from Cushing's, there's a medication your vet can prescribe that will alleviate the problem. My little guy gained a lot of weight (Cushing's sends the appetite, as well as thirst, into high gear), causing him to develop back/hip problems. Three months on the medication (sorry, the name's escaping me now) and he was back to normal. Nineteen months later, and he's still fine. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 3112/27/2010

[quote]At 14 you need to consider that he may be trying to tell you something.

No point in getting all metaphysical about it, R9. Most likely OP's dog is simply trying to tell him he needs to pee.

If the dog still has quality of life, there is no reason to put him down. Regardless, OP is the only one to make that decision, and that doesn't seem to be one of OP's options.

I have an old dog who has been developing some new problems. So far we've been able to come up with easy resolutions, like feeding him smaller amounts more frequently. No incontinence so far, but it won't surprise me if it happens.

Best wishes, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3212/28/2010

You don't necessarily need to buy special dog diapers... you can cut a tail hole in Luvs. Some dogs are OK with this.

by Anonymousreply 3312/28/2010

My previous dog was 15 when she started experiencing incontinence. Later, we were told that it was related to senility and a general (and swift) decline and that she was not long for this world. Indeed, she lived another four or five months before we had to have her put down.

by Anonymousreply 3412/28/2010

Good luck, OP. I hope your pup has a few good years left in him for you both to enjoy. %0D %0D My cat is over 20 and just started peeing inside, and generally losing condition but still pretty healthy for his age according to the vet. I hope I know when the time is right to help him out.

by Anonymousreply 3512/28/2010

R34 = Michael Vick

by Anonymousreply 3612/28/2010

You're an idiot, R36. If you ever owned a pet, you'd know that if the dog cannot recognize the people who live with it, loses sight, is incontinent, and can barely walk, the most inhumane thing one could do is to delay the inevitable. For what? For those "special" few moments you'd have with a dog in that condition? Now, you're the one who should NEVER own a dog.

by Anonymousreply 3712/28/2010

My 14 year old female dog had a problem with incontinence after the vet put her on some thyroid meds. If you haven't done so you might want to check the potential side effects of the current meds your dog is on. While we were trying to figure out what was going on she was in doggie diapers for a few weeks - it went fine and we'll go back to them if she ever needs them. She's been continent again since we discontinued the thyroid meds.

by Anonymousreply 3812/28/2010

Not for nothing, but thanks to all the mini schnauzer owners posting about their older dogs.

I have such a fantastic little mini schnauzer who is 8 yrs now. Someone asked me at a Christmas party how long this breed lived, and it made me horrified to wonder if I only have four or five more years with her.

by Anonymousreply 3912/28/2010

It is selfish not to put the dog down. There are plenty of rescues that need homes. Adopt a new dog from your local shelter today. You could be saving a life of a young dog instead of prolonging the agony of an old dog who doesn't want to live.

by Anonymousreply 4012/28/2010

OP here - thanks to all who replied. Amazing how, according to some posters, my dog's incontinence became a death sentence for him and judgment on me. He's very healthy otherwise and indeed, the vet is always surprised by how "puppy-like" he is. I think one of the things that keeps him young is that his dog-sitter has three other dogs and he loves to run and play with them when he's there. %0D %0D We're headed to the vet's office tomorrow, at which time we'll discuss meds and/or diapers. Since he's not currently on meds for anything else, that may be an option for him. %0D %0D Thanks again to all the great advice from those who are actually dog owners and have been in this position. Much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 4112/28/2010

I think whether it's a human or animal, it's the overall quality of life that you have to take into account. If having to wear diapers isn't causing the dog any undue suffering and it's still able to live a more or less normal doggy life, I should think it would be okay for now.

by Anonymousreply 4212/28/2010

There's a very simple solution. Get a brick and a rope. Attach to pooch. Toss into a pond. Problem solved.%0D %0D Next.....

by Anonymousreply 4312/28/2010

There are meds that ill help w/urinary incontinence, kid's diapers, and that "potty patch" (fake grass over an absorbent pad that can be changed ) you can use when weather's bad or you're not home to walk the dog or let him out...%0D It's amazing all the people who'll fight for elderly to live in a vegetative state in a nursing home (incontinence and all!)but as soon as a pet is incontinent, advocate death...%0D If you wouldn't put Mama down because she needs Depends, you shouldn't do it to your pet!

by Anonymousreply 4412/28/2010

r45, aren't you supposed to be bullying little kids around Hooville?

by Anonymousreply 4612/28/2010

Definitely a Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 4712/28/2010

R45, if you can prove to me that humans are better than animals, then we can talk. Judging from your remark above, I doubt that you'll be able to make the case.%0D %0D Dismissed, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 4812/28/2010

R48 Just for that, I'm going down to the local shelter and having a few cats and dogs euthanized on my dime. Think of it as a little community service.%0D %0D Happy New Year Big Guy!

by Anonymousreply 4912/28/2010

I would equate the life of someone like R45 as being quite a bit less than a dog.

by Anonymousreply 5012/28/2010

[quote]Are you really equating the life of a human being to that of a dog? What a freakin' moron. I assume then that you're a Democrat.

Reply 45 has the unique talent of pulling the wings off Butterflies and typing simultaneously.

by Anonymousreply 5112/28/2010

OP, nobody's saying you have to have the dog euthanized. You should see the vet but with a dog of that age, it could be something minor or it could be something far more serious.

by Anonymousreply 5212/28/2010

We've always been a multiple dog household (currently have 7 dogs with 4 of them ages 9-13). We've faced the health issues of senior dogs many times in the past, and are doing it now too. One of our present German Shepherds (age 12 or so) has incontinence issues and is on Proin. Fortunately, we do not have much carpeting, but we've thrown out several dog beds in the past year or so. Her present dog beds now have sturdy canvas covers from LL Bean (washed weekly) over either comforters/blankets that can be washed or foam rubber that can be hosed off. We've adjusted to her incontinence issues, and she is comfortable now.

The comfort of your dog is important. But you also need to know when s/he is not comfortable and when to let go. Talk about this in advance with your vet or partner. Your first encounter with this should not be when a dog is very sick. We've made the decision not to go through extraordinary measures for any of our dogs. In the past, we have known when it was time to put them to sleep. This has varied from animal to animal (loss of appetite, coughing blood, pain when going up/down the front stairs to the yard, etc).

Best wishes, OP. People who love senior dogs are very special people. Your buddy deserves the best. But s/he will also deserve a peaceful passing. Do not keep her around longer just for you -- her quality of life is paramount. And only you (and your vet) will know when this is.

by Anonymousreply 5312/28/2010

%0D I would admit to loving the dogs in my love as much as the humans. And they have loved me back ten times all that. The only difference is the intellectual understanding that a dog has a shorter life span.

by Anonymousreply 5412/28/2010

I love r18.

by Anonymousreply 5512/28/2010

My dog Jill turned 16 just last week and has been having senior issues that have been progressively getting worse for the past couple of months. She cannot see well, she is often confused, and she has started peeing and defecating in the floor, irregardless of whether she has just been outside. She seems to be suddenly confused about where or when she is supposed to go. Senility seems to be setting in. She now sometimes howls and groans for no apparent reason, and sometimes she doesn't seem to know who I am. I have been thinking that it might be time to have her gently put to sleep, but I don't think that I can. For her whole life she has been a sweet wonderful little dog, and at least part of the time she still is that sweet trusting dog. She still has a healthy appetite and even now she occasionally runs and jumps like a young dog. There are no easy answers. Old age is the shits (both literally and figuratively) for animals AND people.

by Anonymousreply 5612/28/2010

R56, look into a raw diet or at least a home-made diet and also an herb called Rhodiola Rosea. Both are good for cognitive dysfunction.

OP, the belly band is a definite winner for male dogs. Also, there is a remedy called Leaks No More that is definitely effective. I use it for 2 of my elderly dogs. It is sold on Amazon. I agree with those who said have your vet check him out for an infection first.

by Anonymousreply 5712/28/2010

Reading on a phone so I skipped most of the posts. Sorry if this has been mentioned.

Little boy tightie-whities with a kotex are cheaper and better fitting than doggie diapers. Just put the doggie's tail through the fly.

When my then 18 year old border collie mix became incontinent I just bought a carpet cleaner. If your dog spends a lot of time in one room, just line it with rubber backed bath mats and throw thesoiled ones in the washer each night. We did that when house breaking a stubborn puppy once. She peed on bath mats the rest of her life so I would only recommend for older dogs.

by Anonymousreply 5812/28/2010

Can we tie you to the back of a car r49? You are a serious waste of space.

by Anonymousreply 5912/28/2010

[quote]OP, nobody's saying you have to have the dog euthanized.%0D %0D R52 = Joseph Mengele

by Anonymousreply 6012/28/2010

Man dies trying to save dog -

by Anonymousreply 6112/31/2010

My 13 year old dog is laying next to me.%0D God, I love him so much.

by Anonymousreply 6212/31/2010

37, you are the freaking moron.%0D %0D As if, you would know what a dog recognizes or doesn't recognize.%0D %0D You make me sick with your know-it-all attitude, and you have probably never owned a pet.%0D %0D By the way, YOU SUCK.

by Anonymousreply 6303/11/2011

by Anonymousreply 6403/11/2011

Incontinence in a 14 year old small dog is probably not the result of pain, and the dog might be a little dotty at that age, but probably just enough to not be feeling a great deal of "shame" from peeing inside.

Whatever it is, it's probably relatively treatable, OP. But he needs the full workup. And ignore the upthread assholes who are apparently coming off a tina binge and want you to kill your dog.

by Anonymousreply 6503/11/2011

This is to R5 - Excuse me R5, also known, "surprisingly," as 'anonymous,' but just in case someone hasn't told you this already, you are a one-hundred percent bona fide, freaking idiot who has no business being on this website talking to normal, caring human beings!

by Anonymousreply 6601/09/2013

Your vet would probably advise you best.

My dog is almost 15. Terrier. Recently, she has had accidents more often in house (pee and poo). Vet explained, it's not incontinence unless they're "leaking".

I've made an effort to get the dog out more often which has helped.

As I live in NYC, she's always been on a schedule and never indicates when she has to go. Until the last year or so, she could easily go 10 - 12 hours without going out. Especially if she's home and sleeping all day. When she's active, I try to get her out every 6-8 hrs.

The worst thing is when she has a poop in the elevator or the lobby. If I think she really has to go, I usually carry her outside. That way she's less likely to drop a load prematurely. Fortunately I live in a dog friendly building and people don't freak out when there's an accident (I always clean it up immediately).

Good luck OK. Ask vet.

by Anonymousreply 6701/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!