Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stefan on SNL is disturbingly homophobic.

I've never met a gay man who act like him. I've never met anyone who acts like him.

by Anonymousreply 67May 25, 2011 11:00 PM

He's suppose to be a self-centred clubber who's most likely high when he's being interviewed by Seth. If you think he's suppose to represent all gay people, then yes, he's homophobic. But I just think he's suppose to represent self-centred young people.

by Anonymousreply 1December 21, 2010 5:21 PM

For some reason SNL has been getting a free pass on its juvenile borderline-homophobia for years.

by Anonymousreply 2December 21, 2010 5:24 PM

Fags are funny!

by Anonymousreply 3December 21, 2010 5:26 PM

Oh please, R1. If you don't think Stefan is gay, than you need glasses and a hearing aid.

by Anonymousreply 4December 21, 2010 5:26 PM

I think Stefon is hilarious, but I take him to be a sendup of a very particular sort of myopic young clubkid on drugs, and as such, he's damned close to the real thing. Congrats on never meeting anyone like that, but it's pretty common (and ridiculous) in NYC.%0D %0D I also think that Bill Hader, who usually looks a little like Frankenstein's monster, is absolutely adorable as Stefon.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5December 21, 2010 5:26 PM

R1 wasn't saying he thought the character wasn't gay--he's saying he doesn't think it's supposed to represent all gay people. Learn to read.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6December 21, 2010 5:28 PM

Get over yourselves already.

by Anonymousreply 7December 21, 2010 5:33 PM

I didn't say I didn't think Stefan was suppose to be. I just think that their are enough gay characters on tv at this point that everytime we see one, that character is not suppose to be a representative of the whole community. %0D %0D But then I haven't been tallying SNL's record lately.

by Anonymousreply 8December 21, 2010 5:35 PM

I just hate stereotypers.

by Anonymousreply 9December 21, 2010 5:36 PM

OP must not live in NY. I've met many "Stefans" in my years here. Hader's parody is spot-on.

by Anonymousreply 10December 21, 2010 5:36 PM

Not everyone lives in NY, R10. You'll find that the majority of the world's population actually lives elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 11December 21, 2010 5:40 PM

If true R10, that IS disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 12December 21, 2010 5:40 PM

R9, you are stereotyping stereotypers and hating them for it, and I hate you for it. It has become such a stereotypical behavior here. Grr.

by Anonymousreply 13December 21, 2010 5:41 PM

R1/R8: %0D %0D supposeD to.%0D %0D it is supposeD to.%0D %0D ADD THE FUCKING "D"!

by Anonymousreply 14December 21, 2010 5:49 PM

Oh you can laugh at Tina Fey doing Sarah Palin but get offended by Stefan? Grow a pair sensitive Nancy Boy.

by Anonymousreply 15December 21, 2010 6:02 PM

His sexuality is a minor detail. Chill.

by Anonymousreply 16December 21, 2010 6:08 PM

What's a 'pair sensitive Nancy Boy'?

by Anonymousreply 17December 21, 2010 6:10 PM

R15 = bigoted straight woman

by Anonymousreply 18December 21, 2010 6:13 PM

I can laugh at a stereotype just fine, but are there really still people like him? I don't know any.

by Anonymousreply 19December 21, 2010 6:16 PM

Oh yes, like Stefon was made up in a vacuum.%0D %0D *Looking at you, Manhattanites.*

by Anonymousreply 20December 21, 2010 6:18 PM

Stefan's primary characteristic is that he's a meth head tweaker. All other characteristics are secondary. He's probably the best original SNL character in years. And I agree with R8, about there being enough representation these days that not every gay character need be noble.

And beyond being gay, he's pansexual, more into midgets and smurfs, hell's angels and a 200 pound baby DJ. He's several exits past the gay/straight continuum.is one of the funniest comic actors

Lighten up. Bill Heder is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 21December 21, 2010 6:19 PM

"Congrats on never meeting anyone like that, but it's pretty common (and ridiculous) in NYC."%0D %0D You got that right honey.

by Anonymousreply 22December 21, 2010 6:23 PM

I don't necessarily agree with OP's statement, but do you ever notice how we never fail to have threads on SNL, even though it sucks ripe nasty Cheryl ass? Why does SNL's staff feel the need to post here?

by Anonymousreply 23December 21, 2010 6:23 PM

Yes, I recall at the end of the 90's when "Survivor" started up and they played the UK QAF there was story in the media about how all the sudden gay people weren't nice assistants anymore. Shocking.

by Anonymousreply 24December 21, 2010 6:27 PM

The first few times Stefon was on it was really funny. The joke has kinda gotten old.

by Anonymousreply 25December 21, 2010 6:30 PM

[quote]And beyond being gay, he's pansexual, more into midgets and smurfs, hell's angels and a 200 pound baby DJ.

Aw man, I miss the '90s.

by Anonymousreply 26December 21, 2010 6:31 PM

Hell I thought half the comments he makes about the tourists in NY came directly from DL. That's what makes me laugh about it.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 27December 21, 2010 6:36 PM

Hader is also brilliant in the "Gametime with Dave & Greg" sketches. (He is NOT an alien!)

by Anonymousreply 28December 21, 2010 6:43 PM

OP's knees look like biscuits.

by Anonymousreply 29December 21, 2010 6:46 PM

he's fantastic and hilarious. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 30December 21, 2010 6:53 PM

I like Stefon's not-so-hidden crush on Seth Meyers.

by Anonymousreply 31December 21, 2010 7:00 PM

Someone on DL defending Sarah Palin mockery?

Has to be a straight cunt.

by Anonymousreply 32December 21, 2010 7:00 PM

R11, SNL has been a New York-centric show since its inception. How could you possibly miss that? A good portion of Weekend Update is local tristate area news as opposed to national news, and a good portion of the sketches and characters are specifically for New York audiences. There's plenty of riffing on the crap happening on the national stage too, but the show is geared toward the people sitting in the live audience.

by Anonymousreply 33December 21, 2010 7:27 PM

He comes across as the typical Gay New Yorker to me. He is still funny, but only when you are looking at him from outside NYC. NYers probably wouldn't think he was funny.

by Anonymousreply 34December 22, 2010 3:48 AM

R34, do you ride the short bus, dearie? You seem a wee bit tetched in the head. Not too bright, then?

by Anonymousreply 35December 22, 2010 8:37 PM

Like R10 I have known a few Stefans.

by Anonymousreply 36December 22, 2010 8:41 PM

Ask any member of the NRA or Country Music fan and "Stefon" is exactly what they think all Gays from NYC are like. Truth.

by Anonymousreply 37December 22, 2010 9:25 PM

Look up any old Phil Donahue show with Michael Alig, James St. James and that gaggle of funsters who made the 80s-90s club scene (in between dismembering murders) and Stefan seems normal by comparison.

Those were great days!

by Anonymousreply 38December 22, 2010 9:51 PM

Well, at least Stefon's ramblings are creative. Compare that to what you see in Wichita.

by Anonymousreply 39December 22, 2010 9:57 PM

Ask any Gays from NYC about any member of the NRA or a Country Music fan, and this is exactly what they think all are like. Truth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 22, 2010 10:03 PM

That picture is priceless. A true American hero. I will bet he votes Republican.

by Anonymousreply 41December 22, 2010 10:06 PM

Stefon is a terrific character and Bill Hader is spot-on in the role. Hader is also hot to death and I want to suck him dry.

by Anonymousreply 42December 22, 2010 10:26 PM

What r5 said...

by Anonymousreply 43December 22, 2010 10:28 PM

[quote]Ask any member of the NRA or Country Music fan and "Stefon" is exactly what they think all Gays from NYC are like. Truth.

Not "truth" just because you say so. I don't know about the NRA, but "country music fans" (what is that code for?) are not that idiotic. SOME of them are idiotic, but when you say it's "truth" that "they" all think like it's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 44December 22, 2010 11:38 PM

Hader is one of the few talents SNL has going for it right now - he's like the new-millennium Phil Hartman. I love his Italian talk show host and Vincent Price. Too bad the writing and other cast members can't recapture some of that 80s era magic.

by Anonymousreply 45December 23, 2010 12:02 AM

The opening of SNL is always - "Live from New York." That should give any of you out there questioning a big clue.%0D %0D I don't think Stefan's sexuality has ever been mentioned. So it's interesting that those out there screaming homophobia have pegged him as Gay. I think that says more about your self-loathing than any homophobia on SNL's part. I actually think in the last sketch he mentions a girlfriend. %0D %0D Stefan is a representation of a drugged out club kid who is completely out of touch with what the real world might find interesting our acceptable. He is more a joke on that type of person than on middle america.

by Anonymousreply 46December 23, 2010 12:18 AM

It's an easy target to make fun of someone who is actually different, though, R46. SNL will become edgy when it attacks the people in Nebraska or Ohio.

by Anonymousreply 47December 23, 2010 12:28 AM

Get a sense of humor, OP, he's not mocking gay people, he's mocking the club scene and the club kids that inhabit it.

by Anonymousreply 48December 23, 2010 3:16 AM

[italic]Oh you can laugh at Tina Fey doing Sarah Palin but get offended by Stefan? Grow a pair sensitive Nancy Boy.[/italic]

False equivalency troll alert!

by Anonymousreply 49December 23, 2010 3:22 AM

Hader doing Stefon for the "12 Days of Christmas". Hader cannot even compose himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 23, 2010 3:30 AM

I don't complain about people cracking up on SNL after Jimmy Fallon. I have never seen anyone crack up on a regular basis on that show like he did.

by Anonymousreply 51December 23, 2010 3:37 AM

Seth: How are you Stefon?%0D %0D Stefon: (sigh) The same...

by Anonymousreply 52December 23, 2010 3:45 AM

Stefon says he's a top at the end of that clip.

by Anonymousreply 53December 23, 2010 3:46 AM

I hope they continue the Stefon / Seth flirting.

by Anonymousreply 54December 23, 2010 5:59 AM

It's also incredibly annoying, and unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 55December 23, 2010 6:27 AM

What do you think the Target lady was and making fun of all the cheap shit they sell there, R47, Or Mom Jeans, or any other Kristen Wiig character for that matter?

by Anonymousreply 56December 23, 2010 6:41 AM

He always has a references something real. I picked up on Tranderson Cooper, which probably references his boyfriends new bar / club Bedlum in the east village, alphabet city (is it still called that?)

He mentioned Furkles before - fat urkles and there is this kid at my gym who is THE furkle he was talking about. Funny how both "Tranderson" and "Furkle" work out at David Barton where Seth trains as well.

by Anonymousreply 57December 23, 2010 6:49 AM

Seth Meyers and Jimmy Fallon have nothing to fall back on but pretending to crack up.

by Anonymousreply 58December 23, 2010 7:04 AM

Oh come on, Stefon is not gay. He's just a drugged out club kid. We all know the type in NYC and none of them are gay. Bill Hader captures them perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 59December 23, 2010 9:29 AM

Stefan's one of the few funny things on that show. This season has been particularly bad. It's only watchable with a dvr because you can fast forward when it becomes clear a skit isn't funny. I don't know that I've seen any skits in their entirety, they're that bad.

The problem with SNL is they find something funny and then beat it to death so that you forget that it was funny in the first place. The Adam Sandberg song parodies, for example. Great stuff in the past. But the 'I just had sex' one from this season was so one note and unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 60December 23, 2010 11:32 AM

Hader said on a talk show that Stefon was based on a barista from his local coffee shop who lives in his mom's basement and complains to all of the customers about his life. I swear.

The funniest character they've had in years, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 61December 23, 2010 11:45 AM

See, I have no problem laughing at Stefon, but I know I'm going to hell for laughing at Fred Armisen's Gov. Patterson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 24, 2010 9:48 PM

Get over yourselves and get a sense of humor already.

by Anonymousreply 63December 24, 2010 10:18 PM

Bill Hader's Julian Assange made me laugh out loud.

by Anonymousreply 64December 24, 2010 10:35 PM

Seth Myers should do Stefon a favor.

by Anonymousreply 65May 25, 2011 9:18 PM

You bumped this dead, stupid thread to post that, R65? Get out of my Datalounge NOW!

by Anonymousreply 66May 25, 2011 9:23 PM

Stefon is a sexual dynamo. I want to fuck Bill Hader right in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 67May 25, 2011 11:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!