Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Six Feet Under Season 5 - Newbie observations

I posted a thread a while back that I'd recently discovered Six Feet Under and was asked by others to post back when I reached the end.

It's been a great series and I'm on the third episode of the final season, but my expectations of how I'd feel about the characters are totally different than they were when I began.

I'm a gay guy and so I thought I would love David Fisher (Michael C. Hall's character). At the same time, I loathed Keith during most of the series.

Well, here I am nearing the end and I can hardly stand Hall's character. He's a gigantic cliche; catty, snarky, taking on a very female characteristic when he's home. He bitches, cries and nags constantly, in nearly every scene. The character is so completely self absorbed that I've found myself fast forwarding through many of the scenes he has with Keith in Season 4. He's also very cowardly. Just my take on it.

I think the two characters I've come to dislike the most are David and Ruth. Perhaps there is a lot to be revealed, but neither of them are likable people at all, especially since they seemed to begin the series as being the most vulnerable and wounded people.

It's a dark series, so much more so than it seems on the surface. I've watched several back to back and would intentionally take as long as a week off before continuing. Something about it, even though it hasn't been particularly violent is just too potent to watch more than 3 or 4 episodes back to back.

I love how the characters have evolved but at the same time, not nearly as much as I would have expected. Nate seems to coast, no job to speak of. He's come back to the funeral home in Season 5 but even then, he's never there. I'm constantly left wondering WHO runs this business. Who's answering the phone and keeping up with trade trends, etc..

Clair's kind of annoying but in this season, they've dialed her back a bit from the previous, constant exasperated sighs and eye rolls and her "What EV'ERs".

Would love to hear some of your thoughts on the series and the final season. I know how it ends basically because of the famous ending but would still appreciate it if you kept spoilers to a minimum.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 5112/07/2012

As is the pattern with most cable series having a great concept, writing, cast and production values, I was completely overtaken by the creativity, insights, surprises, absurdity and plot development in the first season. I couldn't wait for each episode. The second season was really fine. By the third season the strain was obvious, and while everyone and everything was okay on one level, on another things seemed too-familiar, forced, and not convincing. After that I gave up.

Same with "Dexter," "True Blood" and many others. Not "The Sopranos" but I can't think of another that didn't follow the pattern.

So Six Feet Under Season 5 - I rented it and quit halfway through the second episode. Loved the finale's finale, though. But hated the brain blow plot earlier - no need to snuff him that way.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 112/20/2010

Season 3 and 4 were difficult to get through.%0D %0D Season 5 redeemed it all and rewarded the patience and persistence.%0D %0D Leaning up to one of the best series finales ever made.%0D %0D Be prepared to cry.%0D %0D

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 212/20/2010

The finale is heartbreaking.

Keith and his annoying niece were the most insufferable portrayals by one-note actors.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 312/20/2010

"Make better stuff!"

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 412/20/2010

I thought the funeral in the last season was devestating and very moving.

The last episode, of course, is in a class by itself.

Giving evidence of the power of styling and attitude: Michael C Hall is about one hundred time sexier on Dwxter than he ever was on SFU.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 512/20/2010

I posted on OP's other thread, but I'll say it again.

I ended up liking most of the characters despite the fact they were all pretty "unlikeable."

However, I never warmed up to David and Rico. They were both too meatheaded, although in different ways of course.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 612/20/2010

[quote]I'm constantly left wondering WHO runs this business. Who's answering the phone and keeping up with trade trends, etc.

Clearly, David is running the show. David is my favorite character, though he's deeply flawed (as are they all, which is why its such a great show).

I loved that although the story could veer towards maudalin or melodrama and occasionally dipped its toes, it stayed true and weird enough to feel real. Gack, no matter what I say it sounds so stupid mooing fanlike. It was just an excellent show.

I did get a little sick of Nate and Brenda. They were just too wounded and precious for their own good. But even so, not unlikeable. How hard is that to pull off.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 712/20/2010

The best final show of any series ever.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 812/20/2010

[quote]He's a gigantic cliche; catty, snarky, taking on a very female characteristic when he's home. He bitches, cries and nags constantly, in nearly every scene.

Not that I hate women or have a severe and crippling mommy problem or anything!

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 912/20/2010

I loved Rico, particularly by season 5. His exasperation at the Fishers was palpable -- he obviously grew up in very poor circumstances and didn't always have patience for their middle-class existential crises. He also had very idealized ideas of what a husband and father should be, and was constantly castigating himself for falling short of what was probably an impossible ideal.

As far as the funeral home, he knows he should be running it... and if he was running it, he wouldn't hire anyone with the ambivalence of Nate and David. He'd probably be a real prick of a boss, but things would get done and it would be a good funeral home.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 1012/20/2010

I cried at the series finale.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 1112/20/2010

What made it probably the best finale possible is that it was totally consonant with a series that began each episode with someone's death.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 1212/20/2010

R6 here. I meant to write that I never warmed up to Rico and NATE.

I loved David.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 1312/20/2010

I loved Rico. Is season 5 the last season. Does Nate die?

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 1407/16/2011

David and Ruth are the most alike in the family.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 1507/16/2011

I used to love this show, but I quit watching halfway through the 4th season (after David gets kidnapped). By the 4th season, the dark comedy was gone and it was just plain depressing and took itself way too seriously.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 1607/16/2011

R14, everyone dies.

David was whiny during the last season, but he had been through an incredibly traumatic experience. He needed a lot more help than he got.

The finale, especially the last 6 minutes, is amazing.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 1707/16/2011

The final six minutes are amazing, but was quite surprised that the rest of the finale was pretty much paint by number. I am glad I watched through the end though.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 1807/16/2011

I find Brenda's foray into domesticity to be one of the better plot points towards the end. The nice house, husband, baby on the way...it speaks a lot about what people want, or what they think they're supposed to want. Everything she goes through in season 5 is really challenging for her, especially how she and Nate end up. Her scene on her porch when Maggie delivers the quiche is absolutely fantastic.

I've always related to Ruth, even as a 33 year old gay man. I think anyone who suffers through social situations and has a certain awkwardness and confusion can relate to her. The scene where she attends that party thrown by her friend at the knitting store, I related so much. Ruth does what she usually does: brings a dish she made herself, but it's a fancy catered party. Ruth ends up feeling awkward and dumps all her food down the toilet in the end. That's so me.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 1907/16/2011

I loved ghost Nate appearing to Brenda as she struggled with accepting her daughter Willia. Ruth's acceptance that Claire had her own life to live was also really well done.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 2007/16/2011

This show started out great and then went way overboard. There were periods where I just couldn't watch it anymore. The finale was boring as all fuck. I'd rather watch RHONJ on loop.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 2107/16/2011

#19, you are my fucking soulmate. You nailed it.

Brenda's transformation in Season 5, was the most wonderful part. It felt rushed, but utterly believable. Rachel was brilliant in the show's 5th season.

Will always love Ruth's "The Plan" storyline.

Fuck my legless grandmother!

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 2207/16/2011

Uh, Spoilers people? OP is only a few episodes into the season.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 2307/16/2011

Lauren Ambrose's performance of Claire singing You Ride Up My Thighs was epic.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 2407/16/2011

You ride up my CROTCH!

And fill my nights....

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 2507/17/2011

I love Claire's drunk meltdown in the office.

"You all are doing really important work!"

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 2607/17/2011

Claire's musical number and drunken meltdown in the office were two of my favorite scenes. Lauren Ambrose was wonderful in both of them.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 2707/17/2011

>>taking on a very female characteristic when he's home. He bitches, cries and nags constantly%0D %0D You're rather dim, aren't you?

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 2807/17/2011

A while back, someone posted a link to a YouTube video of the last scene i the finale. I had never watched the show nd had no idea who all those people were, but could -- though the magic of the internet -- piece together the story of the whole series by working backwards from You Tube.

From the video itself, we knew from the moment she started waking up that there was something otherworldly about the guy in her dream and in her room who kept hanging around all the good-byes. Also, that there was something up with the fragile guy with the black boyfriend. And the mother seemed so sad, not only about her daughter leaving, but about life itself.

From there, I used Wikipedia and the HBO site, and happily concluded that I missed a lot, but some of it was bad. I think all the beginning montages where the victim of the week gets killed would be plenty of entertainment for me on their own.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 2907/17/2011

Nate had a sweet soul and was the hottest (loved all his shirtless scenes). Rico grew on me, hotness-wise. Detested Brenda and Claire. Great series overall.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 3007/17/2011

This is scary, but I liked Claire's boyfriends... %0D %0D (and the messed up closet-gay clingy tortured artist one was the scariest attraction I had)%0D %0D

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 3107/17/2011

OP, you're not in a place yet to evaluate this show.

Season 5 was - by far - the most intense, gut-wrenching series of episodes ever aired, and what happens to the characters next might completely change your views of them.

Bust out the tissue. You're gonna need it.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 3207/17/2011

SFU was one of the best shows on tv, ever. I was on DL during the run of the entire series, and each episode was discussed here in detail. Most of the weekly SFU threads went on for several pages - it had a big following here.%0D %0D What I can't believe is that SFU ended six years ago! It really does seem like yesterday.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 3307/17/2011

Here's the famous ending. It still makes me well up - one of the best finales ever.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 3407/17/2011

Fuck, R34... it just made me cry like a little bitch all over again.

That clip is the only thing that's been able to make me cry for the last 5 years.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 3507/17/2011

Nate was a narcissistic, self-satisfied, meatheaded piece of shit.

And Rico was a self=righteous little shit.

I adored the rest of the characters, especially David.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 3607/17/2011

I agree with R36 about Nate & Rico. I think most every character had traits or moments that made them very unlikable at times. Some more than others.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 3707/17/2011

[quote]Uh, Spoilers people? OP is only a few episodes into the season.%0D %0D OP started this thread on 12/20/2010. All bets are off.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 3807/17/2011

George put such a damper on the show. I still don't think he was a good addition. What a bore.

I wish that they featured Richard Jenkins more in the later seasons as the ghost of their father, too.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 3907/17/2011

My favorite show ever. Love Brenda, Nate and Claire. I watched Season 5 so fast I barely remember it now. Just couldn't get enough.. my favorite scene is when Nate and David are on a bus, so that David can face his fathers' death and David breaks down. I like to scout the 'net to find SFU quotes. Didn't care for Season 4 either, and hated the episode where David got attacked/gay bashed.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 4007/17/2011

" my favorite scene is when Nate and David are on a bus, so that David can face his fathers' death and David breaks down."

I loved that scene from season 1 too, R40.

Another great exchange from season 5 is during the funeral.

David to Claire: The rest of us dressed up.

Claire: The rest of you win.

I loved Claire and Edi (Mena Suvai)

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 4107/17/2011

That's Claire as the red-head in red on the new Torchwood series, right?%0D

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 4207/17/2011

Joanna Cassidy was fucking hilarious.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 4312/11/2011

I can't believe it's been almost 7(!) years since SFU ended. Still seems like yesterday. I was on Datalounge when SFU was in first-run episodes and every episode got a thread that ran for several pages. DL traffic was much higher back then and many people here had very interesting discussions for every episode.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 4412/11/2011

I wish those threads were still available to read.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 4512/11/2011

Every Monday morning after SFU aired the previous night, I would log into DL to read the SFU thread about that week's episode. The threads often continued throughout the week until the next episode aired. There were some fantastic discussions going on about the show. Like I said earlier, DL had a lot more people on it than it does now. Seems like yesterday.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 4612/11/2011

In Brenda's death scene, was she masturbating while Billy was talking to her?

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 4712/11/2011

Alan Ball had real trouble keeping the series on track. The first season and a half was great, but then he completely lost track of what the series was about (i.e. death) until the last five episodes or so.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 4812/11/2011

R48, the only disappointing season was season 3 - and I think Rachel Griffiths' pregnancy and thus Brenda's absence contributed to that.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 4912/11/2011

"I think the two characters I've come to dislike the most are David and Ruth. "

You're not going to dislike Ruth when you see the final episode. She's finally a source of strength for the family (and David).

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 5012/11/2011

I'm rewatching the entire series now again. It's still best show ever made, in my opinion. Mad Men may be a close second, but SFU is just perfect.

by Claire Fisher''s manual 35mm Nikonreply 5112/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.