What is living in San Francisco like?

I want to know.

How is the driving?

by Anonymousreply 16411/10/2013

Currently? Raining...

by Anonymousreply 112/17/2010

Very expensive.

by Anonymousreply 212/17/2010

It's fabulous, really. Lots of chances to make extra money with interesting gigs. Attractive, interesting men. Getting around is easy - I drive all over with no problem. The water is colder than it looks. The missions all around are gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 312/17/2010

More cars than parking spaces. Chew on that.%0D

by Anonymousreply 412/18/2010

lots of the gays

by Anonymousreply 512/18/2010

It's funny you first mention driving. It poured rain again today. When it rains, it seems 1 out of 10 drivers completely lose it; car accidents all over town. They're idiots.

by Anonymousreply 612/18/2010

It's chilly and foggy, but there is always something to do.

The driving is... not worth attempting.

by Anonymousreply 712/18/2010

If I ever hit the Lotto I'm moving there and buying a home in the Sea Cliff area.

by Anonymousreply 812/18/2010

If you have plenty of money living in SF can be wonderful. If you don't have lots of money living in SF is hell on earth.

All the beautiful vistas in the world can't make up for the bad things about SF, and there are loads of bad things in this city.

by Anonymousreply 912/18/2010

Gore Vidal said Sydney is the city San Francisco thinks it is. However, that just showed he didn't know Sydney, and had contempt for San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 1012/18/2010

it's boring but I'd live there in a second.

by Anonymousreply 1112/18/2010

Beautiful, but dull. Driving is needed, public transport is pure hell here.

Weather pretty awful year round.

by Anonymousreply 1212/18/2010

What's the demoraphic? European? Asian? Black?

by Anonymousreply 1312/18/2010

I always think of SanFran (and NYC) as STD central.

by Anonymousreply 1412/18/2010

You are correct R13 all of the above.

by Anonymousreply 1512/18/2010

SF is great if you don't mind feral homeless people everywhere you look.

by Anonymousreply 1612/18/2010

Very nice and upscale, full of foodies, culture, great architecture, beautiful vistas, but not quite warm enough, really small, insular and oddly provincial, with the added irritant of cartoonish lefty politics and feral homeless people shitting on sidewalks. many self important people who think their lifestyles are works of art and have theories about how we should all live. the people who are smart enough to call them on their bullshit eventually move to la or nyc.

by Anonymousreply 1712/18/2010

I've lived in SF for over a decade now. I went from starving student to solidly middle class in that time, and I'm finally ready to move on.

It's a hard city to leave though.

by Anonymousreply 1812/18/2010

It's a cliche, I know, but don't all the smart gay men with any ambitions leave? I've known several who left after saying the same thing: "I've met everyone and anyone who's interesting and I'm bored."

by Anonymousreply 1912/18/2010

R17 nails it for me. I've never met so many people who thought they were just FABULOUS simply because they lived in a particular city.

So self-absorbed, so self-important, so full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 2012/18/2010

"public transport is pure hell here"

R12--I thought I'd read that the Bay Area was pouring money into improving the BART subways/commuter rail/light rail in the metro area. I assumed that San Fran/San Jose and even San Diego and Sacramento had better public transit than the L.A. basin.

by Anonymousreply 2112/18/2010

Don't listen to R12, the public transportation is fine here. It's some of the assholes who use it that make it hellish.

by Anonymousreply 2212/18/2010

I don't know LA well enough to comment on that, but in San Francisco the lack of frequency can drive you batty.

Most areas are not served by rail and have busses, many of which come when and if they feel like it and have routes that wander about.

Idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 2312/18/2010

The town is really what you make of it, isn't for everyone and is oftentimes unfairly subject to people's expectations. Living here provides the ultimate lesson on loving something for what it is and isn't.

by Anonymousreply 2412/18/2010

Beautifully put, R24.

by Anonymousreply 2512/18/2010

Its a make-believe city. Its tiny but acts like it is big.

Its nice like Bloomington Indiana or one of those towns in the Carolinas. But it is NOT a major city like NYC, DC, LA in spite of how much it tries to protest that it is.

But I like the smaller cities so I think it is great.

by Anonymousreply 2612/18/2010

I don't think D.C. is a major city either. Maybe a power city but otherwise completely unimportant.

by Anonymousreply 2712/18/2010

I grew up in NY, left for SF in the mid-nineties, and have spent the last year back in NY. I now see more homeless people in NY than SF- after midnight in winter, NY's subways are basically one big homeless shelter.

From what I can see the recession has benefited SF's creativity, bringing back some of the artists who were priced out during the boom. It's restored some of the humanity that the last decade of development almost drove into obsolescence. The local food movement, street food carts, coffee culture, artists' collaboratives, ubiquitous cycling amenities, etc, all remind me of the SF that made me move there. Contrary to what some posters said, I don't think San Franciscans have delusions of grandeur. It's a densely populated but ultimately small city with many of the resources of a larger one, minus the breakneck pace. It has a natural beauty that has never stopped amazing and surprising me. I'd still choose it over any other place to call home.

by Anonymousreply 2812/18/2010

"Most areas are not served by rail and have busses, many of which come when and if they feel like it and have routes that wander about."%0D %0D Synchronicity! The SF rail and bus service is just like the people who live there.

by Anonymousreply 2912/18/2010

We have rain in winter. So what? It's the Pacific Northern coast. At least we're not snowed in (although I miss snow, for practical travel, it's not missed).

We got bums! Yup. So do other cities. Ours don't die on the streets frozen to death.

We got restaurants! Hundreds and hundreds.

We got arts! Mainstream, odd, unusual and SF Ballet started The Nutcracker tradition (good and bad, depending on your taste).

We got Lefties! Yup, and our wacky politics in favor of people and human rights eventually sifts to moderate cities and states. You need a range of thought. We're way on the left end of the spectrum.

We got gay marriage, er, had it, and will get it back. See above.

Don't like it? Too bad. Thanks for your tourist dollars. Buh-bye.

by Anonymousreply 3012/18/2010

"So self-absorbed, so self-important, so full of shit."

Whereas you and your ilk, and New Yorkers, are beacons of modesty, and never poop?

By the way, enough with the "nails it" clich%C3%A9. It's as tired as you are.

by Anonymousreply 3112/18/2010

Another vote for R17. Was so glad to return to my live and let live LA -- except for those who are new in LA, who don't leave others alone.

by Anonymousreply 3212/19/2010

[quote] Was so glad to return to my live and let live LA -%0D %0D But doesn't the traffic bother you? Having to drive everywhere through that terrible traffic. The great distances. The driving is aggressive as well, which made me tense.%0D %0D I like the atmosphere of LA and feel at home there and find my way around very quickly, but the above & the superficiality of the people really puts me off.%0D %0D I also missed street life, so I spent a lot of time in Venice/ Santa Monica, but it's so small and gets boring very fast.%0D %0D I also agree with R17 about SF. Pretty but small and provincial. A place to visit.

by Anonymousreply 3312/19/2010

R33

The aggressive driving and traffic are recent -- we had a zillion new people arrive in the past few decades that changed the fun of driving. The distances were always great, but getting there was not the hellish experience it is now. Read Joan Didion's description of driving our freeways in the 60s and 70s -- where you could zone out and go -- or listen to The Eagles's Hotel California album cut "Life in the Fast Lane" where people who wanted to go fast did so, and the rest had two or three other lanes in which to putter (albeit at 70 mph).

Most of the bad things date from 1980 or so, and it is very sad, but enough is left to make SF not the trade off it would seem to be.

by Anonymousreply 3412/19/2010

I prefer the East Bay - close enough to SF to visit a lot but then you can go home to the East Bay.

by Anonymousreply 3512/19/2010

What's the best/hottest gay bar in SF right now? I miss The Lion and Alta Vista, both of which closed down.

by Anonymousreply 3612/19/2010

There is no BEST bar, it depends on what you are looking for.

by Anonymousreply 3712/19/2010

I have found living in Sf to be a daily routine of getting up in the mornings and taking a crap to start my day. I have found that one can not eat three meals a day without having to poop a time or two too. I don't recall if this was similar to the way it was in Altoona or if we pooped there too. Most days off in San Francisco are spent shopping for food, paying bills and watching TV and listening to the radio with intermittent visits to a restaurant or drinking hole. Admittedly it takes time to adjust to all these changes, but with diligence, one can make the change and be quite happy. Driving in SF requires a car. Other than that, it is somewhat similar to driving in other major cities with only one freeway. Oh you have to learn to drive on the left as everything is left in our Bagdad by the Bay.

by Anonymousreply 3812/19/2010

San Franciscans can be such snobs. I mentioned to someone at a party that I was from LA. They sniffed and said, Oh, I'm so sorry."

I replied, "Oh, I just adore San Fransicso, it's so...quaint."

You should have seen the look I got.

by Anonymousreply 3912/19/2010

LA sucks. I would take NY and SF anyday.

by Anonymousreply 4012/19/2010

OP, how much do you make? It makes a difference between a HELLISH neighborhood and nice one....although I remember when this nice straight couple who made tons of money were living in the Marina, and the guy in the couple got murdered by a homeless guy. The homeless guy was harassing his fiance. Happened a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4112/19/2010

the bareback bottoms dont know how to douche properly and they get angry when you object to their using your dick as a corncob.

by Anonymousreply 4212/19/2010

R41 $40,000.

by Anonymousreply 4312/19/2010

San Francisco is truly among the great cities of the world, which is quite an achievement considering she's barely 250 years old. Los Angeles is even more amazing because she is even younger than the "Old Lady by the Bay." Arguing about which is greater or even prettier is just another expression of Gay Insanity.

No valid list of fabulous cities would leave either of them off that list.

And, those who don't like one or either of these cities is quite alright. Although I live in one of these cities, I could be just as happy in Des Moines with a sweet boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 4412/19/2010

What does provincial mean?

by Anonymousreply 4512/19/2010

My time in San Francisco was very much like the tv show "Too Close For Comfort". There was an annoying quasi gay guy with a poor sense of boundaries who would walk in unannounced all the time and a white Anglo-Saxon couple with a Venezualan daughter and her enormously breasted Nordic sister. My apartment had crazy multi colored racing stripes adorning the walls.

by Anonymousreply 4612/19/2010

I'd bet all my lube that r44 is in LA.

by Anonymousreply 4712/19/2010

I saw this video

and I'm wondering the same thing!

Gay paradise,right?

by Anonymousreply 4812/19/2010

Here's another video of several people celebrating 420 at a park called Hippie Hill?

Where is the police?

by Anonymousreply 4912/19/2010

The police can't be everywhere all the time.

by Anonymousreply 5012/19/2010

Based on two short visits, SF seems to have a really high percentage gay population, higher than NY. Truth?

by Anonymousreply 5112/19/2010

I've lived here nearly 20 years, after living in LA and NY.

I would KILL to live in LA or NY again. San Francisco is dull, the people are so full of themselves - even more so now, after the World Series - the arts are only middling (unless you're into opera or ballet). The people aren't particularly friendly, either.

It's a beautiful city, but world class? I don't know. It's not in the same class as London, Sydney, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, New York ...

by Anonymousreply 5212/19/2010

Based on two short visits, SF seems to have a really high percentage HIV+ population, higher than NY. Truth?

by Anonymousreply 5312/19/2010

No, I don't think that's true at all, r53.

by Anonymousreply 5412/19/2010

R52 it isn't world class as all of those other cities you've listed, but it stands on its own. It%E2%80%99s unique. The arts and culture are prominent in San Francisco. They have the Asian Arts Museum, Modern Art Museum, De Young Museum, Legion of Honor Museum, and the Opera and the Ballet as well. Also, Broadway shows travel out to San Francisco, and we have our own theater center as well.

The wealthy in San Francisco and Northern California as a whole, are much more conservative and they are kind of the old money type of crowd than Los Angeles . I have been told that Northern California leans more like the East Coast than Southern California.

R53, I have heard by someone who lives in New York that there are a lot of HIV+ people there, and New York is becoming the gay capitol verses San Francisco used to be.

As far as San Francisco being boring? I don't understand that at all. San Francisco has the same recreation as any place else. We live in the 21st century and globally we are becoming a small world as a result of technology. I know this guy who lives in New York and he goes to the movie theater, and the restaurant pubs that are located there constantly. San Francisco has the same.

by Anonymousreply 5512/19/2010

I think everybody here agrees that when you are rich any city can be great to live in.

But what about people who have a certain budget like when they have to work instead of living off their trust fund money?

Is in your opinion San Francisco worth the money you have to spend on rent, food and (public) transportation (= car, fuel) or when given the opportunty would you move (because of a better job offer)?

by Anonymousreply 5612/19/2010

Seriously, NO city is boring, per se. It's all in what you do with it.%0D %0D If you want to view a city like LA or NYC as the benchmark for what is 'not boring'...then that means you are prone to viewing 'constant activity from other people' to be the same as 'exciting'.%0D %0D If you want to view a city like OKC or Chattanooga, or Boston as 'not boring'...then that means you are prone to viewing 'small city comforts' as 'interesting' to you.%0D %0D Think about it. Nothing is as boring as you are yourself.

by Anonymousreply 5712/19/2010

R56 it really depends on your job. I work in agricultural real estate, and due to SF's location, I'm perfectly situated between Sonoma/Napa and also the southern CA desert. I am making bank.%0D %0D If you want to come here and work in a coffee shop/bookstore, and go see a lot of indie bands, then SF can work for you too...if you don't mind living with 3 other hipsters.%0D %0D Otherwise, it's a hard city to live in. A lot of tech people working in Silicon Valley enjoy living in SF too.

by Anonymousreply 5812/19/2010

[quote]A lot of tech people working in Silicon Valley enjoy living in SF too.

That's a hecka long commute.

by Anonymousreply 5912/19/2010

Its not that bad R59. In California, people are used to driving longer than the East Coasters. We get amazed when we hear people in the East making a big deal about driving 30 to 35 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 6012/19/2010

San Francisco says "It Gets Better!"

by Anonymousreply 6112/19/2010

Gross! Watching that video makes me want to move out of SF ASAP!

by Anonymousreply 6212/19/2010

I prefer SF to Sydney, Madrid, and Barcelona. It's definitely prettier than Barcelona and Madrid, and equal to Sydney. The restaurants and culture are just as good. And when you add in the wine country and Carmel area, SF can't be beat.%0D %0D The gay scene is terrible in SF, which is ironic considering SF's gay reputation.

by Anonymousreply 6312/19/2010

Since moving there I eat nothing but Rice-a-Roni.

by Anonymousreply 6412/19/2010

I live in Sydney. Why on earth do you think my city is world class? Our real estate is insanely expensive for somewhere at the end of the world, our restaurants are over hyped and over priced, the theatre is OK and forget our galleries and musuems. People are ruder than ever and the Aussie spirit of the 'fair go' is dead and buried. I mean,look at NYC, Paris, London or even San Francisco and seriously think about the comparison.%0D %0D If I had money, I would live in NYC or San Francisco in a heartbeat. It is hard to be so far away from the rest of the world.

by Anonymousreply 6512/19/2010

No fear, Ned Kelly -- everyone's restaurant's are overpriced, all galleries are mediocre, no place is free of rudeness, and fair go has disappeared from most of the world.

If it's not in your own backyard, it doesn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 6612/19/2010

r41 / op you only make $40,000 a year?

Welcome to the third world part of SF! You'll either live in the WORST SHITHOLE neighborhoods in SF like the Tenderloin, or God forbid Hunter's Point(!!!) - or you'll have 3 or 4 roommates in a "nice" neighborhood. Your roommates will be people you will grow to hate with all your heart and soul. There will be one roommate that will be psychotic too.

Good luck OP, you'll need it!

by Anonymousreply 6712/19/2010

You have to make a lot of money to live decently there, at least $85,000 to live in a decent neighborhood.

And most of the gays there now are aging, it's an aging population in general except for the illegal aliens who make nothing and get free social services, rent, etc handed to them. You won't be that lucky though...

by Anonymousreply 6812/19/2010

San Francisco is the only place I ever saw two homeless men fist fight over a ham sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 6912/19/2010

Living here used to be like this...

by Anonymousreply 7012/20/2010

It's like this.

by Anonymousreply 7112/20/2010

No city can be compared to Paris.

by Anonymousreply 7212/20/2010

Driving. It's really stressful to drive in SF. If you bring a car with you, add an extra $20k in fines, parking tickets, tows, paying for parking to that $85k figure. And your car will get broken into, the windows will be smashed, and your car will probably be stolen.

Oh, wait, you were talking about driving? It's horrible. People walk into the middle of the street - any street anytime. And there's tons of bicyclists you might hit, motorcyclists you might hit, and busses you might hit with your car. Plus the lanes are thinner than in most other areas.

by Anonymousreply 7312/20/2010

It's like this

by Anonymousreply 7412/20/2010

In R70's link, at 1:47 you can see Gretchen from Project Runway sing "sleep till eleven...!"

by Anonymousreply 7512/20/2010

There's a lot of inconvenience and definitely a homeless population, but the crime really isn't that bad. It's no Detroit or Atlanta or Camden - San Francisco still has a high quality of life.

by Anonymousreply 7612/20/2010

Actually we've talked about this before r76 - and found a comparison chart of NYC to SF and SF definitely has a higher crime rate per capita than NYC.

Of course we had this DA...named Kamala Harris who didn't really prosecute criminals...so they would come in from Oakland, Richmond, etc, sell drugs and really, if the DA feels you're one of her "peeps" it's all good, you get right out of jail! Fun, right?

Oh she got a promotion of sorts, now she's the DA of California and she said she is going to let out all the people that are non-violent criminals due to the "budget", which means the burglars, the people who hold people up, meth dealers, crack dealers.

Fun!

by Anonymousreply 7712/20/2010

"People walk into the middle of the street - any street anytime. And there's tons of bicyclists you might hit, motorcyclists you might hit, and busses you might hit with your car."

Yes, wouldn't it be great if you could live in Neville Chute's "On the Beach" and everyone but you and Gregory Peck were dead?!?

Asshole. Learn to drive and stop cutting everyone else off. Otherwise, move back to Solvang or whereever the fuck you came from.

by Anonymousreply 7812/20/2010

[quote]"People walk into the middle of the street - any street anytime. And there's tons of bicyclists you might hit, motorcyclists you might hit, and busses you might hit with your car."%0D %0D Oh yeah, and god forbid a car be seen as one form of transportation among many - fucktards like 73 think that cars should have priority all the time and other users should get out of his way. Idiot.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 7912/20/2010

SF Gay Gayerson at r78 just because YOU don't drive...my dear the OP wanted to know what the DRIVING was like in SF.

We all know you love SF to death dear even though you're as poor as a church mouse and have nothing to show for it, and you're just barely making it. Are you in retail dear, or one of the 11% long term unemployed in the city?

The OP wanted to know what it was like to DRIVE in the city, it's not a question for people like you dear. Drive, not take MUNI...big difference.

by Anonymousreply 8012/20/2010

I'm living here on minimum wage and the extended graces of a friend. If you have money, its a fantastic city. Good pace, great food, night life if you want it, lots of shows/musicians traveling in/through the city, great neighborhood street-fests all through the summer, a holiday season that starts in September (with folsom).

That said, its stressful as hell to cope with not being able to afford the insane markup on cost of living. And the gay population, in particular, is much older. There's still a contingency of young gays moving here 'because its san francisco' but it is a struggle to make it if you don't come in on a job or with hella wealth.

San francisco does not have the density or energy of NYC, maybe some parts of queens or brooklyn (LOTS of students), but nothing is really 'happening' here besides tech/finance related buzz. There is the detritus of the politico/activist past of the city but its really worn down on people (clipboard fatigue, thanks ACLU/greenpeace/etc etc).

I think about leaving for my friends in NYC often, but, I know my economic prospects aren't any better (given my industry). For now I'm doing what many many people do in SF - live a little weirdly, learn about myself, indulge for a bit.

by Anonymousreply 8112/20/2010

R80, stop saying dear, dear.

by Anonymousreply 8212/20/2010

We have an excellent example of typical San Francisco driving in "Foul Play."

by Anonymousreply 8312/20/2010

Fun, exciting and feels like it was a city that never left the 70's.

by Anonymousreply 8412/20/2010

Oh, and it's the best walking city in the U.S. and the most likely place to be killed by a car.

by Anonymousreply 8512/20/2010

How are the museums compared to other cities?

by Anonymousreply 8612/20/2010

R86 They occasionally get a good show coming through but their collections are not very special.

by Anonymousreply 8712/20/2010

I love you, r81 for saying "hella". Brings back memories for me when I lived in Berkeley for 10 years.

If you don't make much money, but want to live there, move to the East Bay: North Oakland, Berkeley, Albany, Emeryville. Driving is much easier there. I used work at Neiman's Union Square, and it would only take me 20 minutes on BART from those locations. It would take my friend at least 30 minutes to get to NM from Central Sunset using Muni.

I live in LA now, and while I do enjoy it (snowboarding, surfing and the weather), I do miss the Bay area for the beauty, less superficial people, and better nightlife.

by Anonymousreply 8812/20/2010

Just a warning BART is expensive. To Commute from Berkeley is more than 7 bucks a day or 140 a month and you would probably still need the SF transit card for 60 bucks.

by Anonymousreply 8912/20/2010

Still cheaper than a car, r89- gas, Bay Bridge tolls, insurance, PARKING, and parking tickets.

by Anonymousreply 9012/20/2010

[quote]. I used work at Neiman's Union Square, and it would only take me 20 minutes on BART from those locations. It would take my friend at least 30 minutes to get to NM from Central Sunset using Muni.

WOW.

I used to live on Nob Hill. Loved it, but had a heckuva time getting anywhere (except Union Square, lol). I guess I'm just not a city person. I had to choose between leaving The City or getting rid of my car (convertible mustang). I kept the car.

by Anonymousreply 9112/20/2010

To chime in on R89 and R90's posts...%0D %0D If you work in SF, you may as well live there too. Many people move to the east bay and the south bay, because it's cheaper, but the commuting costs are so high that you eat up all the money you saved on rent.

by Anonymousreply 9212/20/2010

R61, I am afraid the people in that video would scare gay teens. I love the homeless in SF!

by Anonymousreply 9312/20/2010

Driving: That clip from Foul Play @r83 was taken on familiar streets in Pac Hts, the Marina, maybe North Beach, too. I actually learned to drive on those streets in Driver's Ed in my junior year in High School. J'adore - still - that movie! Very little has changed on those particular streets, except in the movie, parked cars (one of which I hit in real life) and traffic are absent. I think every movie or TV show in the 70's filmed in SF had numerous obligatory car chases. Wish I had a compilation of San Francisco car chases... they still give me and my partner the shits and giggles.

Life in "The City":

If you live here long enough, it feels like a small town with big city problems. I've tried to leave a few times but always return.

by Anonymousreply 9412/21/2010

r94 where did you go to HS in SF?

by Anonymousreply 9512/21/2010

Is it true that rats live in the palm trees in SF?

by Anonymousreply 9612/21/2010

R88, why did you live for 10 years in Berkeley? And why did you leave? I've been living in Berkeley for 10 years also.

by Anonymousreply 9712/21/2010

[quote]Is it true that rats live in the palm trees in SF?

We have that problem all over So Cal

by Anonymousreply 9812/22/2010

@r95 - McAteer '78

Rats live everywhere in the city, not just palm trees. My loyal cats bring them to me frequently.

by Anonymousreply 9912/22/2010

Not R88, but R97: where in Berkeley do you live?

I lived there for a time while in school and for a short period after. Moved further west and now in DC.

Plan to retire in Mendocino. Well, I can dream.

by Anonymousreply 10012/22/2010

Frisco was rough on my brakes and accelerator-the terrain caused a. lot. of car problems. The people weren't very friendly, tons of homeless, many said there was human waste excreted on the sidewalks. There were no hippies at all on Haight-Asbury. The marina district was full of sea lions and insufferable tourists. I mean, get over it, we have sea lions.

by Anonymousreply 10112/22/2010

'Plan to retire in Mendocino'

by Anonymousreply 10212/22/2010

Have any of you encountered those parrots from the PBS documentary?

by Anonymousreply 10312/22/2010

The parrots come down to my backyard in Cole Valley (just south of Haight-Ashbury) in the summer. I marveled at them when I first got here, only to find out the parrots are fairly common in SoCal. Still love having them around, though.

by Anonymousreply 10412/22/2010

Also - that "It Gets Better" video is full of people from the SF Marriage Equality USA crowd, who are a bunch of saddos. It's inevitable that we're going to have eccentrics here who revel in the cheesy rainbow flag-waving side of gay culture. It's like these people are in arrested development, stuck in that stage when you're just coming out and it's all pink triangles and high ideals. Pay them no mind. Most of us are far more low-key than that.

by Anonymousreply 10512/22/2010

A squawking flock of cherry-headed conures flies over my house in Glen Park almost daily. They're often being followed by a hawk or a pair of ravens, but once I watched them get drunk and silly while eating pyracantha berries in my backyard. I read that one flock of wild parrots survives cold nights by hanging out near HVAC units on grocery rooftops like the Whole Foods on 24th St.

by Anonymousreply 10612/22/2010

We have tons of parrots in Richmond Park, in London. I saw a tree full one day.

by Anonymousreply 10712/22/2010

[quote]I read that one flock of wild parrots survives cold nights by hanging out near HVAC units on grocery rooftops like the Whole Foods on 24th St.

I feel much better knowing that being fleeced by Whole Paycheck contributes to our feathered friends' well being.

by Anonymousreply 10812/22/2010

Remember when Lulu would chime in on these threads?

Defending the homeless and their right to defecate on the streets, accusing those who had the temerity to want clean sidewalks of "demonizing the homeless"? and extolling the benefits of multi-roomate living in the Haight because "That's how Harvey did it"!

WHET Lulu?

by Anonymousreply 10912/22/2010

Funny... had the impression that SF is the country's go-to circuit mecca of white gay porn has-beens turned into uber-hot-muscle daddies. I heard from many accounts that SF's gay scene is just as shallow and superficial as LA. Anyone can attest to that?

by Anonymousreply 11004/28/2011

[R110] I don't know your definition of "shallow" and "superficial," but I was one of those who eventually decide that it's a city for fun, but not for a life that I want.

I lived with my ex there, and we were both very financially stable. But eventually all forms of novelty that the city has to offer wore off and now I look at it in the same way I look at some places in Florida (Miami, Fort Lauderdale, etc.) and even NYC - it's a wonderful, wonderful place for vacation, but it's not a great place to build the kind of life I want with a partner of life.

by Anonymousreply 11104/28/2011

For anyone thinking of moving to SF, or even visiting, i highly recommend the book "Stairway Walks In San Francisco."%0D %0D It was written by Adah Bakalinsky, a long-time city resident who has not only catalogued over 700 stairways, but has created more than 25 loop walks around the city - covering many neighborhoods. Taking any of these walks - with book in hand - is an absolutely wonderful way to see & experience the city....not to mention a great way to get some exercise & work up an appetite. %0D %0D I guarantee you will have a greatly-enhanced view of the city, even if you have been there many times.

by Anonymousreply 11204/28/2011

f

by Anonymousreply 11304/30/2011

Stairway Walks is great for people visiting or living in SF.

But it's too expensive to live in SF, you can't move there as a young Gay Person without having tons of dough.

The gay population in SF is mostly older these days.

Young people coming to SF are straights with jobs in tech, with their jobs already lined up.

SF is very transitory. People you knew 2 weeks ago will have moved on in a month.

by Anonymousreply 11405/01/2011

I don't live in San Francisco, but each summer I spend a week there. I get a rental car and drive all over the area while there and I've found it pretty easy.

by Anonymousreply 11505/01/2011

I'm considered 'poor' monetarily, and this is my favorite place on earth. I've lived in New York, Los Angeles and London. It's my third time living in this awesome city.

sure, it's not an Arcadian paradise, and it's not a fit for everybody, but you know what, those who complain about the glass being 1% empty, until you learn to let go of the bitter stick, you'll rattle it against your own cage no matter where you are or what possessions you buy.

by Anonymousreply 11605/02/2011

Is San Francisco a good place to live for a physically attractive gay doctor?

by Anonymousreply 11705/05/2011

It's like "track lihghting" OP!

by Anonymousreply 11805/05/2011

Gore Vidal is wrong. I live in Sydney and would move to SF in a heartbeat. 10% of Sydney is attractive, the rest is hideous. At least in SF, you have great restaurants, galleries, museums etc. We have beaches. That is it.

by Anonymousreply 11905/05/2011

Can you get around the city efficiently without having a car?%0D %0D What is it like to be a gaysian living in SF?

by Anonymousreply 12005/05/2011

[R120] If there were more gay Asian men in San Francisco that looked like Peter Le and hung like Van Darkholme, I'll bet that their invisibility to all those GENUINELY AND insanely gorgeous gay men in San Francisco would CEASE to exist.

by Anonymousreply 12105/05/2011

The thing is, the hot gays in SF are usually poz. Why, oh why? It really puts you in an agony...

by Anonymousreply 12205/05/2011

R38=Herb Caen come to life

by Anonymousreply 12305/05/2011

The fact remains Oakland is a better location for a city. The weather is better, the inland connections are better. If only they had known a little more about dredging in olden times, Oakland would be the Metropolis of the West.

by Anonymousreply 12405/05/2011

How's the gay scene in Oakland compared to SF? Are there as many (obviously gay) hotties as SF in Oakland?

by Anonymousreply 12505/05/2011

Lame, R38.

by Anonymousreply 12605/05/2011

[[R111]], thank you for an interesting response. By "shallow" and "superficial", I meant in general like the Ken Doll- and Muscle Queen Bee types ubiquitous in San Francisco who seem financially secure, or at least seem to "HAVE EVERYTHING" that can afford to revolve their lives around partying. Are there really a lot of these types in San Francisco? %0D %0D What kind of life did you mean by the one you wanted that didn't work out in San Francisco? The white picket fence with 2.5? (I mean no offense!) And which city do you think is perfect for the kind of life you wanted? %0D %0D I find your response especially interesting because I was always under the impression San Francisco is still a favorite spot for well-to-do professionals who enjoy balancing the easy lifestyle with work.

by Anonymousreply 12705/06/2011

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 12805/06/2011

bump

by Anonymousreply 12905/06/2011

I've lived here forever it seems . Finally I see the freak and tweek infestation is going down and after Twitter takes over on Mid Market, that's it.

Departed Mayor Newsom was hated new Police chief is kicking ass and taking numbers already, rousting those bastards who use the sidewalk as their living room.

True they shit on the street saw a guy take a dump on Larkin only blocks from the library, where there are nice clean toilets, when I berated him he said when you gotta go you gotta go. He was white.

Have money or a cheap rent connection. Take a roommate, some things are worth experiencing. SF is a great walking town I've never owned a car but do rent Zipcars. Without some dough your entertainment is limited but there is always something creative and free happening. Main Library has great stuff to check out including classic dvds.

Lots of overly educated folks who fancy themselves writers, yuck. SF CL proves this. Too many hypocritical vegans sneaking carne asda and or ciggy hating cokeheads. Potheads hate tweekers. Red light running Critical Mass bike riders abound, and hit one of my friends, injuring their back.

Very smart cute blacks alas the crooks loiter, giving the impression that most blacks in SF are crooks or crazy and yes the ghetto single moms are very dykey and pissed off.

For some reason there are more closet cases than ever before most on the arms of asian chicks or trying to pass pre op trannies as str8 chicks.

skinny str8 asian girls are the blondes here even the ugly ones think their shit doesn't stink but they are known for giving it up quick and doing 3 ways to please their closet case men

The food is the draw- good and sometimes, cheap, besides the plentiful 420 there are pot clubs on every corner, it seems, in the Mission and the Loin.... barebackers are ready to give you herpes the clap and worse but they're clean, relax stop being paranoid.

by Anonymousreply 13005/07/2011

It's a 365 trench coat/leather jacket town. Hats, scarves, gloves get used all year round. Breezy cool weather I'm finally used to it good for the skin SF'er usually look quite young unless they're tweeking or have facial wasting...

by Anonymousreply 13105/07/2011

But, where do San Francisco's old money and the beautiful and wealthy gays come into that? Is there like a coveted exclusive neighborhood just for them? Or...?

by Anonymousreply 13205/07/2011

They don't mingle much except for Class A events they stay in their Pacific Heights lane ... private parties and scenes in their dungeons. Lots of call boys As Madgelene would tell you, prodoms and sex workers make good bank here.

Harry DeWildt, gimme a break so tired. Wilkes Bashford, yawn. Harry Denton and his gaggle of show queens double yawn. Former Mayor Willie Brown likes free taxi rides so much so that the drivers pretend they don't recognize him, and prefers ass fucking trashy blondes. Course, he made an exception way back when for mixed race Kamala Harris, being his mistress made her career. I refuse to gossip about Armistad Maupin, Tales of the City was very helpful to me.

The Gav and wifey are a united showmance for his eventual White House run... while shopping at Armani they drop the pretense of love. Barbara Boxer runs around Armani in a slip drinking bubbly trying on clothes. Robin Williams guzzled out of bottles there.

Craig of Craigslist is becoming more eccentric as his fortune grows but he's straight. Larry Ellison of Oracle really shouldn't be married as he bangs the asian chick help, while his raw foodie wife looks the other way.

Chip Connley of the Joie de Vivre hotel chain is a true good guy intolerant to racism due to his hot as hell black bf. Returns emails in a flash.

Dennis Peron, the Prince of Pot is still banging twinks his health is improving.

Of course, poor Steve Jacobs is hanging on to life just by sheer willpower and of course the best health care known to man but he won't be seeing the 4th of July.

Thanks for letting me digress!

by Anonymousreply 13305/07/2011

Meant to write Steve JOBS ...is hanging on to life just by sheer willpower...

by Anonymousreply 13405/07/2011

Pee Wee? It's 5:40 AM, and you're full of shit. Go to bed.

by Anonymousreply 13505/07/2011

Thanks for telling me what to do bitch. It's people like you that bring this site, a gay gossip board, down down down. I've been posting here since the Bill Clinton years with proven dish, and what have you brought to this community except lame snark & impotent commands.

Smoke pot, not meth, child.

by Anonymousreply 13605/07/2011

Child? Rich.

by Anonymousreply 13705/07/2011

[quote]Pee Wee? It's 5:40 AM, and you're full of shit. Go to bed.

Oh shush, R135. Pee Wee gives us good dish. You don't. If anyone's going back to bed, it should be you.

by Anonymousreply 13805/07/2011

It wasn't good dish. He made 80% of that up to get a rise out of the likes of you, and you took the bait.

by Anonymousreply 13905/07/2011

After a few close friends personally escorted her around San Francisco's nicest parks, restaurants, and shopping centers, Virginia-native and first-time visitor Lori Timlin reported Sunday that she could envision herself living in the one of the nation's most expensive cities. "I can really see myself in one of those great big houses up on that hill, or maybe in an apartment overlooking the water," said the 28-year-old paralegal, whose friends had strategically steered her away from the city's aggressive homeless population and infuriating public transportation system. "How could you not want to live in a sparklingly clean city with such a perfect warm and sunny climate all year round?" During a four-hour layover at O'Hare Intern%E2%89%A0ational Airport on her trip back home, Timlin concluded she could never, ever live in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 14005/07/2011

r139 go ahead and prove me wrong. Silly child. Claims to live here but has no dish not a damn drop. Don't you take taxis or know show queens or retail queens or anybody at Silly Hall? If not, you're a lying troll.

And my hours are none of your concern.

Unlike you, peon, some of us actually know people, after living here over 20 years. Carry on crying out for attention, you will get it but not from me. Bet you were the same lame ass trying to call me out months ago but got busted as an ignorant newbie.

by Anonymousreply 14105/07/2011

Protest too much, dear?

by Anonymousreply 14205/07/2011

[r97] I lived there because I attended UCB and flunked out in a blaze of glory-I broke up with my long term relationship and didn't attend any of my classes except for ballet...Mary! If I hadn't attended ballet, I could've gone back. Oh well.

I moved to LA to be a makeup artist for film and tv and whatnot. If SF had a solid film community, I would be back in a heartbeat. But I'm not complaining about LA, I'm very spoiled here.

by Anonymousreply 14305/07/2011

FYI there are a lot of gays in tech too

by Anonymousreply 14405/07/2011

How do you explain SF's insanely large concentration of former gay porn stars and muscle circuit queens and muscle bears? Where do they hang out? It also seems like quite a number of them are Canadian... considering how tacky the majority of gay scenes is up in Canada, would you as SF-ers say those Canuck expatriates "made it"?

by Anonymousreply 14505/07/2011

The SF Eagle has closed.

by Anonymousreply 14605/07/2011

0 - 18: GREAT - You have nothing to compare it to.

19 - 35: GREATEST place on earth regardless of interests or gender.

36 - 65: meh - You can be old any place and it cost more to be old in SF

65 - death: Same as above, but you'll be buried in Colma, CA. No active cemetaries in SF except for a few remaining but claimed for plots in the Presidio's Military Grave Yard.

by Anonymousreply 14705/07/2011

Fabulous, wide open streets, little traffic, gloriously warm balmy weather, low cost of living, and best of all, free lube on each street corner.

by Anonymousreply 14805/07/2011

R147 obviously doesn't live here. The Daddy Bears rule in this town.

by Anonymousreply 14905/07/2011

R148: Homeless.

by Anonymousreply 15005/07/2011

Boring beyond belief. Way too expensive and filled with burnt-out druggies and homeless people. It's a waystation for drifters from the Pacific Northwest.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 15105/07/2011

Somebody please answer [[R145]]'s question.

by Anonymousreply 15205/07/2011

But you ARE r145, r152! Stop the pretentious fuckery.

Oh and your question is stupid and you sound tragic...and somewhat overweight.

by Anonymousreply 15305/07/2011

...and please be sure it's in the form of a question!

by Anonymousreply 15405/07/2011

Does anyone know what happened to the Ark House? It is/was a transitional housing program in the Castro for homeless GLBT youth. I was part of the team that opened it up, but none of us staff lasted more than a year. The church that ran it totally mismanaged it, there was rampant nepotism, and our paychecks bounced all the time. I am wondering if somehow it survived and is still running.

by Anonymousreply 15505/07/2011

Of 154 posts on this thread only 3 live in San Francisco including me.

@145 they hang out all over town crying their eyes out now that The Eagle has closed.

by Anonymousreply 15605/07/2011

[[R153]] = Morbidly Obese Bitter Canadian Queen of Tragedy%0D %0D Put that pipe down and start going to gym for change.

by Anonymousreply 15705/07/2011

Six foot and 170, thank you very much. Went to the gym this morning, Miss copycat.

by Anonymousreply 15805/07/2011

R153/Alex Trebek, how about you STFU, you fat pathetic cunt?

by Anonymousreply 15905/07/2011

R153/R158, that's so nice to know that that's your stats in your fantasy. Nice try, Miss Liar-Liar-Pants-on-Fire, but you are still a fat bitter queen standing at 5'3 weighing 350. :)

by Anonymousreply 16005/07/2011

It's way less gay than it used to be. Don't know why rest of country/world think it's mostly gay. What it is is way Asian and now is filled with wonky tech workers. The only young gays who can afford it are those wonky tech workers.

by Anonymousreply 16111/09/2013

Agree with r161 - it's super expensive. I have no idea why people still think it's the "gay capital", it's not. Hasn't been for decades. There's way less gays here, and the gays that are left are very old.

by Anonymousreply 16211/10/2013

Less out gays more closet cases, more boring young people bringing their conformity to town, yawn. I do give Twitter credit for tidying up Mid Market, less freaks, made them scatter all those turquoise blue bikes are purty.

by Anonymousreply 16311/10/2013

When you're driving up a steep hill, keep your feet on both the brake and the gas when you stop so that you won't roll backwards when you take your foot off the brake.

by Anonymousreply 16411/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.