Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I love cats

They are so cute with their soft fur and comforting purr.

by Anonymousreply 31907/19/2013

I equate them with rodents.

by Anonymousreply 112/14/2010

you are nuts, R1

by Anonymousreply 212/14/2010

Cats are such peaceful pets. Our male cat is orange and white and has a lovely fluffy white tummy. He rolls over to show his tummy and makes a chirpy meow. My late mother would say, "He's flirting with you!"

I love dogs, too; we have an English Bulldog who is sleeping next to me right now. But I am primarily a cat person.

by Anonymousreply 312/14/2010

I like kittens, but not big cats. Cats seem so boring compared to dogs, too. You can't do much with them. My parents adopted a cat after our family dog died four years ago. A cat is a better pet for them, because caring for a cat is less work than caring for a dog. I noticed that what they like about the cat are the things a dog would do: oh, he follows us around and he came to be petted and he likes when we comb his fur... basically, they love when our cat behaves like our late dog.

by Anonymousreply 412/14/2010

R4, I've had both, and I can clearly say that I prefer cats. I know they say a dog is a man's best friend, but I feel much closer to my cat than I EVER felt to my dog. My cat comes to me if she sees I'm sad, and tries to comfort me. She also runs towards me when I get home from work to say hello. She also LOVES to cuddle.

Yep, I'm definitely a cat person. I love my cat, and it'll be a sad day when she dies.

by Anonymousreply 512/14/2010

Well, OP, then we're even -- because I love pussy.

by Anonymousreply 612/14/2010

I don't think my cat is a normal cat; more like a cat dog. He plays fetch, runs to greet me when I come home, and likes to go outside on a leash.

by Anonymousreply 712/14/2010

Love my kitties, so soft and warm to cuddle with. My tiny girl loves to play and they both do the funniest and most interesting things. Love to play with them and watch them play together. Dogs are fine but I'll take my cats any day.

by Anonymousreply 812/14/2010

Me too.

by Anonymousreply 912/14/2010

Me too OP! Have two. Darcie and Thomas.%0D Love them to death.%0D %0D %0D I also love Simon, this little guy from youtube.

by Anonymousreply 1012/14/2010

Rapacious serial killers who will kill anything within reach

by Anonymousreply 1112/14/2010

I adore my cats, but I know they would eat me if I was no longer of use to them.

Dogs are wonderful too.

by Anonymousreply 1212/14/2010

[quote]Cats are such peaceful pets.

What an odd statement. They kill birds, mice and other creatures usually for fun and growl and hiss when they're in heat. And you better know the tell-tale signs of your cat that indicates sudden mood swings or you get your fair share of scratches and bites.

But yeah, I'm still a cat person and could not imagine living without a cat.

by Anonymousreply 1312/14/2010

[quote]They...growl and hiss when they're in heat%0D %0D Like most bitter queens, OP. Your point?

by Anonymousreply 1412/14/2010

Cats are ok, but you're just their meal and heat provider. I demand unconditional, irrational love that I don't deserve. So I got a dog instead.

by Anonymousreply 1512/14/2010

I love cats, too. My cat has lymphoma. He's only 8. The poor guy makes me laugh and makes me cry every day.

by Anonymousreply 1612/14/2010

[quote]I demand unconditional, irrational love that I don't deserve. So I got a dog instead.

Someone should put that on a T-shirt.

by Anonymousreply 1712/14/2010

Love mine so much. And they do mourn like humans. Mine went from room to room for months crying and looking for my husband after he died.

by Anonymousreply 1812/14/2010

Dogs teach you how to love, cats teach you how to live.

by Anonymousreply 1912/14/2010

Cats are killers. Their inherent inbred nature is to kill - mice, birds, etc.%0D %0D Cats will also viciously attack humans and babies if provoked.

by Anonymousreply 2012/14/2010

"Their inherent inbred nature is to kill"%0D %0D Whereas, in the wild, dogs are known to stand in line waiting for their Kibbles 'n' Bits.%0D %0D Weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 2112/14/2010

"And you better know the tell-tale signs of your cat that indicates sudden mood swings or you get your fair share of scratches and bites."

Your cat must be a datalounge reader.

I had a cat for ten years. He would scratch the hell out of the neighbor's dog, but was always gentle with humans and never scratched anybody even once. He always patted me with his paws.

I also taught him how to play hide-and-seek. Best ever.

by Anonymousreply 2212/14/2010

For you R22.

I love this video.

I love cats so much. That's all we had growing up. My lovely mother - had a dog from childhood to college age. So, she could never [italic]think[/italic] of getting another dog.

I guess she couldn't figure out that her children might also like to experience that. Kind of sums her up.

Anyway, didn't get to know dogs until I was older and there is much about them that I just love. Soooo different than kitties - but there is always something about cats that melts my heart.

by Anonymousreply 2312/14/2010

I love them too !!! Especially spread on a cracker.

by Anonymousreply 2412/14/2010

Never cared for them. I do not like having a pet that will purr one moment then lash out viciously and bite the next. You can't trust them. My mother grew up with cats and described them as PMSing all the time. Also, cats seem to attract a "certain type" of crazy owners. Frustrated single woman with relationship issues. As a lesbian I am very leery of woman with two or more cats. Its usually a red light indicator that there are major problems ahead.

by Anonymousreply 2512/14/2010

Aaaawwwwww. Thank you R32.

This is how we played hide-and-seek. We would run around the couch (I had a cluster of large couches and took a long time to circle around) and ran away to hide. Willie the cat would try to find me.

Then, when it was his turn to hide, he would not respond when I called out his name (he always meowed otherwise to let me know where he was).

Very last time we played, I pretended I did not see his tail sticking out from the back of the commode ... I miss Willie.

by Anonymousreply 2612/14/2010

So cats are incapable of unconditional, irrational love for their owners?

by Anonymousreply 2712/14/2010

I believe they do love their owners R27 if their owners are kind and do not mistreat them.

by Anonymousreply 2812/14/2010

You came to the right site, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2912/14/2010

[quote]So cats are incapable of unconditional, irrational love for their owners?

Yes, ignore these delusional cat fanciers.

You are just that warm blob that brings them food once a day and provides a place to sit. If you died they'd happily divest your skeleton of flesh and sit at the window licking their paws and wondering what they should do for the day.

Stay catless.

by Anonymousreply 3012/14/2010

Any stories of faithful cats?

by Anonymousreply 3112/14/2010

r30 please. You too. Never get a cat. You don;t know the first thing about them, and you sound like you would treat them horribly.

by Anonymousreply 3212/14/2010

Somebody forgot to tell my cat she was a rapacious serial killer.

I got her out of the DeKalb County (GA) pound in the summer of 1992 in part because I saw a cockroach in my student apartment and wanted a cat who would keep that sort of thing to a minimum. When I was looking at kittens, as soon as I picked her up she settled into my shoulder and started purring. She knew I was hers.

I got her home and she displayed no interest whatsoever in hunting anything. The next year, I had a house that would fill with mayflies. I would lift her up to the mayfly and she would sort of pet it gently and go on about her business.

She liked to play with toys, to sharpen her claws on furniture, crawl into cardboard boxes, eat buttered toast pieces, and sleep curled up in a tight ball next to me.

We've lived in eight different states together and overseas. Her favorite was a tie between Hawaii and New Mexico. She will be 19 on May 1. I think she killed a spider once in 2003. The effusive praise she received did not inspire her to act on her natural instincts. She is now completely deaf, so her days of not hunting continue with total obliviousness. She mostly sleeps on the bed, eats little bits of whatever she's brought, basks in the sun, and begs for coconut oil.

by Anonymousreply 3312/14/2010

Cat-human marriage is legal in zero states, R33.

by Anonymousreply 3412/14/2010

Post 33.

Your cat is clearly retarded.

by Anonymousreply 3512/14/2010

I am a dog lover. I can't see myself owning a cat, I just love the dog brain plus I am allergic.%0D %0D That said, some of my best friends are cat lovers... and we just laugh our asses off at the differences.%0D %0D My fav story is a friend and what she has to go through to get the cat into the carry to go to the vet. My dog thinks we are going on a trip when we go.. it isn't until he gets out of the car and smells around that he goes "oh shit".%0D %0D Love you cat lovers!

by Anonymousreply 3612/14/2010

R26 here. I think my cat grew up with dogs. It came to me as part of a house I got. Since it did not come with a owner's manual, I constantly discovered "new functions" during the ten years. I found out he understood a bunch of words, such as "come here", "no", etc. I found out he liked to be bathed. I found out he did not mind to be on a leash to walk with me. Yes, it was a cat. I and my friends checked over and over.

Cat has much more dignity and gracefulness than dogs. Somewhere I read that the difference between a dog and a cat is, a dog thinks, "he gives me food and shelter, he must be God", while a cat thinks, "he gives me food and shelter, I must be God".

by Anonymousreply 3712/14/2010

We got our cat a couple of years ago at an animal shelter. He'd been abused and he was scared of us at 1st. But eventaully he warmed up to us and now he's the friendliest and most loving cat. He's become attached to me in particular. He sits on my lap and falls asleep while I'm watching TV. It's just a shame I'm allergic to him. But I of course love him anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3812/15/2010

[quote]She will be 19 on May 1.%0D %0D Holy shit. That's really, really old.

by Anonymousreply 3912/15/2010

I love cats. I was especially attached to one we had when I was in my teens. he had been rescued from a swamp and would wake me up at night by gently lifting my face up by putting his paw under my chin and then butting heads with me. If you pet him he'd start purring. he never attacked anyone and once we had a rat in the house. he saw it and just stared at me terrified.I love dogs and ferrets too, but could never see myself with a dog.

by Anonymousreply 4012/15/2010

On average, are there personality differences between male cats and female cats?

by Anonymousreply 4112/15/2010

"I demand unconditional, irrational love that I don't deserve. So I got a dog instead."%0D %0D Good on you for getting a dog, instead of having a baby. Too many people make that mistake.

by Anonymousreply 4212/15/2010

Not really. The biggest difference is that female cats rarely spray.

by Anonymousreply 4312/15/2010

Some people think females are smarter than males but slightly less friendly. Since I'm r33, I haven't found females less friendly. They will probably wander less. My sister had a male blue point Siamese mix who was not smart, but he got along with everyone and was extremely nice. He lived to almost 20. My grandmother's female tabby was indoor outdoor and very good at problem solving but never left the yard. She lived into her 20s.

by Anonymousreply 4412/15/2010

I've always found that male cats are more affectionate and all around less snooty.

by Anonymousreply 4512/15/2010

I have read that generally, males are friendlier, especially in the sense that they will let more people interact with them. And that females are generally less friendly, but when you are a special person to them, the bond is often deeper than the bond is with a friendly male.

Any truth to this?

by Anonymousreply 4612/15/2010

I've found that op, although there are the rare male cats.

by Anonymousreply 4712/15/2010

I wish they were good eatin and I was chowing down on your kitty right now.

by Anonymousreply 4812/15/2010

I have found that male homosexual cats to be alot more fun then female homosexual cats.

by Anonymousreply 4912/15/2010

I had my first cat when I was 24. I didn't know the first thing about raising a cat. I did my research by going online and reading and participating in cat-related forums.

He was and is the perfect companion for me. I regret not owning a cat sooner. They are truly the best pet.

by Anonymousreply 5012/15/2010

Male cats don't knead their claws as much as females ones.

by Anonymousreply 5112/15/2010

What do you think about cats liking/not liking people? Do you think they're really able to read whether someone is good or bad?

by Anonymousreply 5212/15/2010

I'm with you, OP; They are delicious and hilarious creatures I wouldn't live without!

by Anonymousreply 5312/15/2010

I'm the opposite of r25. I'm avoiding most lesbians with dogs lately. I'm going on some internet personals sites and you'd be amazed at the amount of weird looking women who are clutching their doggies in their profiles. Lesbians who own dogs seem to be overly attached to them. At least the ones with cats seem sane. You never see a picture of a lesbian holding a cat on those sites. Never.

I love cats and prefer them to dogs. I like both actually. My mom's last cat lived to be 22.

by Anonymousreply 5412/15/2010

cats can tell when you are depressed? really?

by Anonymousreply 5512/15/2010

cats brought my life partner and i together. when i found out she not only loved cats, but had 9 of them, i knew she was the one - i had 8 cats! we moved in together and now have 17 felines living with us.%0D %0D we're looking for a bigger apartment (two women + 17 cats in a 700 sq ft flat is really crowded), but apartments that will allow us to keep our cats are hard to find. wish us luck!

by Anonymousreply 5612/15/2010

Is it true that calicos seem to be meaner than average?

by Anonymousreply 5712/15/2010

Calicos are bitches. If you want a friendly cat, get a tabby.

by Anonymousreply 5812/15/2010

Yes, R18. My cat has comforted me when I was sad and depressed. My dog never did that, which is probably why I feel a lot closer to my cat.

by Anonymousreply 5912/15/2010

by Anonymousreply 6012/15/2010

not true, r58- my calico was every bit as affectionate as my dog.

by Anonymousreply 6112/15/2010

Cats are loveable, no doubt. But they are also an environmental disaster. We rape our seas to provide fish-based pet food. They destroy million of bird spiecies. Feral cats are especially deadly to local fauna that has not evolved to defend themselves against feline hunters. This is why many nature lovers take the reluctant step of laying poisons for cats. Someone has to root for nature.

by Anonymousreply 6212/15/2010

The nicest, most mellow cats are grey cats. Especially if they have white patches, like a grey tuxedo cat. I've never met one that wasn't extremely sweet.

by Anonymousreply 6312/15/2010

I had the best cat in the world for 13 years. He was amazing: Smart, cuddly, playful, engaging. He went downhill really quickly last year, going deaf and half blind and losing kidney function, then developing intestinal cancer. I miss him daily.

I still have 2 cats, one I inherited from my mom when she died, and he's sweet but aloof. My other cat Simon is just a full-on idiot. I am constantly in awe of his stupidity. It took him about 4 years to recognize his name. He eats anything that isn't nailed down, and half the stuff that is. He forgets how to jump up on things for a few minutes, then remembers. You can see him stop in the middle of playing with a toy because he has completely forgotten what he was doing. He will play with a bug until you kill it, and he will watch you kill it but still search for it for hours afterward because he doesn't understand cause and effect.

I love him a lot, don't get me wrong, but I am confounded by his behavior.

by Anonymousreply 6412/15/2010

Reply 64.

Your cat is obviously retarded.

by Anonymousreply 6512/15/2010

they don't reciprocate love

by Anonymousreply 6612/15/2010

R66 has never had a cat. They certainly do reciprocate love. Mine loves to be around me. If I'm at my desk, she will move to the piece of furniture that is closest to me. If I move to somewhere else in the house, she moves with me. My other cat waits for me to come home and like a dog, will run up to me in the driveway. They are awesome creatures.

by Anonymousreply 6712/15/2010

ok, maybe I will get one someday. They just seemed pretty cold when I saw them at other people's homes%0D %0D can you only get cats from shelter/spca-type places? won't they all be abused and crazed (and incapable of reciprocating love)?

by Anonymousreply 6812/15/2010

It's fun to raise kittens but I really prefer cats. Kittens always look so freaked out, whereas a healthy adult cat exudes self-confidence. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6912/15/2010

[quote]can you only get cats from shelter/spca-type places? won't they all be abused and crazed (and incapable of reciprocating love)?

not at all. my first cat was an older adoptee, and she was as sweet as could be. there are also plenty of cat rescue organizations who have cats they foster while trying to find them permanent homes, so they are very aware of the cats temperament, and can find a good fit for you.

by Anonymousreply 7012/15/2010

r66, cats can seem cold to strangers. They aren't as easily trusting as a dog. But once they trust you, they are very warm and loving. When I get home at night, my one cat meows at me until I lay down on my bed and then she crawls onto my chest, curls up into a ball and purrs loudly. She sometimes licks my face just to say hello.

by Anonymousreply 7112/15/2010

Never a cat lover. Was always allergic to them, and they seemed too aloof. Just couldn't understand the love.

My mother had calicos when she was growing up, but couldn't have cats because of my father and me. Allergies, you know. My dad died last summer, and I found her two rescue kitties, both calicos. And sisters.

I am absolutely in love with the two of them. They are hilarious, affectionate, loving really. And for some reason I'm not allergic to them. (plus you don't have to walk them when it's a minus temp outside. Definitely a plus).

So I'm on the kitty side of the fence these days.

by Anonymousreply 7212/15/2010

Never was a cat lover... Then I visited Korea and tasted Braised Calico Kitten with regional root vegetables. Now I can't get enough of them.

by Anonymousreply 7312/16/2010

I love both cats and dogs. I have 3 cats (I was supposed to have 2) and I would LOVE to get a dog, but they are so much work. And with my erratic long work hours, it's no fair to the dog- they are basically drunk 3 year old toddlers who crave constant attention.

All my kitties are rescues and are extremely loving- even though they get fed by an automatic feeder, they know the sound of my car and are yelling and waiting for me at the door. They follow me around wherever I go, demand to sit on my lap, and if they happen to get locked outside the bedroom (despite their best efforts turn turn the door knob), will scream until they are let in to sleep with me.

My 11 year old Bengal (got him when he was 10) is my most favorite cat ever- I taught him how to do dog tricks- sit, turn in circles in both directions and beg pretty.

And I'm allergic to cats (and dogs) as well.

One day, I'd love to have both cats and dogs living together in sin.

by Anonymousreply 7412/16/2010

I adore cats too. I had them for many years before I decided to stop having pets.

by Anonymousreply 7512/16/2010

My 2 year old cat is a black and white female with some Maine Coon in her. She is one of the most doglike cats you can imagine, in a good way. And I think she's smarter--always figuring out how to open things and get into things. She follows you from room to room. When someone comes into the house, even someone she hasn't met before, she goes right up to them. She has her crazy moments where she darts around and jumps on things, but she's generally very calm and affectionate. I can even play with her using my hands and she'll nip but she seems to know the exact point when it would hurt and has never drawn blood. And she sleeps on my chest and kneads at my neck--annoying but mostly very relaxing.

by Anonymousreply 7612/16/2010

I'm going to turn mine into a pair of slippers if they don't stop breaking Christmas ornaments!

by Anonymousreply 7712/16/2010

I love how the biggest compliment you can give a cat is to describe them as being " dog like". Tells you something.

by Anonymousreply 7812/16/2010

I like dogs, but cats are my fave.%0D %0D Cats don't drool and they also don't eat their own shit and then want to lick you. Also, cats are quite.

by Anonymousreply 7912/16/2010

i love their little meows

by Anonymousreply 8012/18/2010

I LOVE cats!!! They are so expendable!

by Anonymousreply 8112/19/2010

Cats are awesome. I also love dogs but I won't have one while I live in the city.

I have a cat question that I hope someone can answer for me. I give my cat subcutaneous fluids (saline) for kidney disease. I opened a new bag of saline tonight and noticed that my vet gave me a different kind than I usually use. It has 900 mg of sodium chloride per 1000 ml of fluid. The saline I've always used has 600 mg per 1000 ml. It's called "lactated ringer's." Is this a bad thing? Can I use the new stuff? I'm going to call the vet, obviously, but they're closed until Monday and my kitty needs fluids. Anyone have experience with IV / sub-Q bags of saline?

by Anonymousreply 8212/19/2010

I would think you should be able to just reduce the dosage for your cat with the new solution. My ex had to give shots to his roommate's cat while he was out of the country and all I really remember is feeling sad for the cat. I'd think just de-mathing on the syringe should be ok until you can get specifics from the vet. Sorry your cat is sick, but glad you're taking such good care of it.

by Anonymousreply 8312/19/2010

Thanks, r83, but it's not a syringe. It's an IV bag of saline. Like if you got saline in the hospital, for instance. It's not intravenous, though, it's right under the cat's skin. Impossible to adjust the dose, he has to get 1000 ml of fluids.

by Anonymousreply 8412/19/2010

Hmm, is there a way you could add a second bag of just water?

by Anonymousreply 8512/19/2010

R82, I give my cat sub-Q fluids for CKD as well and use Ringer's lactate. It contains more electrolytes than normal saline. I think it's not a problem but if you want to be extra careful you can give her the dose in 2 installments and observe her.

by Anonymousreply 8612/19/2010

holy shit r56, your apartment must reek!

by Anonymousreply 8712/19/2010

r79, my cat drools. She will sit on my lap and I will pet her and drool just drips from her mouth. It's funny.

by Anonymousreply 8812/19/2010

mildly amusing cats:

by Anonymousreply 8912/19/2010

new year's pussy bump

by Anonymousreply 9012/31/2010

Happy New Years, fellow cat owners!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9101/01/2011

I found an xmas kitten on the night of the 26th. Since I have 3 cats, a 4th will not do. Tried finding the owners (he was socialized to humans), but did end up finding someone who wants a kitten. He leaves tomorrow.

It's so hard not to keep him- 10 weeks old, smart and a great little personality.

by Anonymousreply 9201/01/2011

Bless you, R92 :)

by Anonymousreply 9301/01/2011

yay r92!

by Anonymousreply 9401/01/2011

Do you have a photo, R92?

by Anonymousreply 9501/01/2011

I got bored with the kitten and had it put down.

by Anonymousreply 9601/06/2011

R63 funny you said that because my gray and white cat is the sweetest, most gentle little guy. Too much so. My little kitten I adopted bullies the hell out of him. I keep telling him to grow a set and put him in his place but he just lets this kitten beat the shit out of him. At the same time the two will cuddle and my gray and white will groom him like a mama cat. My other a cat, a huge persian, usually drapes himself decoratively over the furniture and regards everything with a stuck up supercilious expression on his face. If the kitten tries something with him he swats at the kitten with one huge paw never changing expression. The only tell tale sign of irritation is his twitching tail.

by Anonymousreply 9701/06/2011

I've been watching Maru for a long time now. I just love that furry pig.

by Anonymousreply 9801/06/2011

Maru is so damn cute. Fat little squab isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 9901/06/2011

Maru will enter ANYTHING!

by Anonymousreply 10001/06/2011

DL need your help. I'm considering adopting a cat for the first time. I'm a dog lover at heart but cats are cool,too. I don't have any pets at the moment. Will most likely get a young/adult cat and not a kitten.%0D %0D What do I need to buy to get started?%0D %0D Do I have to have a cat carrier to take it home?%0D %0D I work nights but home during the day. Can I feed it during the day and put the food up at night until the next morning(I don't want a bug problem)?%0D %0D Can I shut my bedroom door and leave the cat in the other area while sleeping or will it have to sleep in the bed with me? will it cry if I shut it out of my room?%0D %0D If I leave the lights off while at work, will the cat be able to find the litter box in the dark? do they remember where the litter box is all the time?%0D %0D Do those hypoallergenic wipes work? the waterless shampoos are they ok with cats when they bathe themselves or do they make them sick?%0D %0D Lastly, will I love it as much as a dog?

by Anonymousreply 10102/23/2011

please tell me R56 is joking....

by Anonymousreply 10202/23/2011

R101, my two cents:%0D %0D -Get a soft cat carrier. It's not heavy, and you can easily get the cat to the vet, or on a plane later if needed. The heavy plastic carriers are a waste of money for a single cat, and a pain to cart around.%0D %0D -Get your cat used to not sleeping with you by closing the door. I have a fan on the floor outside the door blowing across the front. The cat won't go near the fan, then they won't meow to be let in. Get ear plugs too, just in case. I wish I could enjoy the cat sharing the bed with me, but I just can't. They walk around my legs at night and wake me up every time.%0D %0D -Don't bother with cat shampoo unless it somehow gets fleas (which is easy to do if it's an outdoor cat, or takes even one visit to the vet).%0D %0D -Cats can see in the dark. Don't worry.%0D %0D -Dry cat food, left out all day and night, and replaced as needed, is just fine, unless your vet recommends some different food due to a dietary condition.

by Anonymousreply 10302/23/2011

R103 you bring up a good point.I'm worried that the cat that I adopt will have fleas. Shouldn't they be defleaed before adopting? It will be an indoor cat and I'd hate to have it bring home fleas, unnecessarily.%0D %0D If a cat is neutered will it still spray or do it's business (if male) on the walls and furniture? Is there a clean up product for carpets and such that DL'ers recommend?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 10402/23/2011

It's not that hard for dogs and humans to figure each other out and communicate on a basic level, since their social instincts are so similar. But cats and humans just don't connect in the same way, so even when you and your cats really get along it's more of a parallel relationship than an interactive one. I think the reason that lolcats have caught on is because cat owners really do spend hours wondering what their cats must be thinking, imagining what they would say if they could talk, etc.

by Anonymousreply 10502/23/2011

R104, when adopting a shelter cat, be prepared for ticks, fleas, and ear mites. All are easily combatted with over the counter stuff.%0D %0D No, the shelter is under no obligation to fix those issues for you prior to adoption.%0D %0D Feel the cat's skin thoroughly. If you feel bumps in the skin, those are flea bites. If you see missing fur, that's from the cat scratching itself to death due to fleas.%0D %0D If you see it scratching itself at all, those are fleas or ticks. If it's constantly scratching at its ear, it could be earmites.%0D %0D Most importantly, adopt a cat you feel a connection to. Fix the problems when you get him home. They're all resolvable.%0D %0D A simple flea collar, and a well vacuumed carpet takes care of fleas with some time and patience.%0D %0D "Ear Mite Remedy for Cats" works amazingly with TWO applications to the ear skin. Their earhair will fall out, and you need to wash your hands thoroughly afterward, but it works fast.%0D %0D Ask the shelter if the cat has been fixed/neutered, and if they've been up to date on their shots, and when was the most recent test for stool parasites, FIV or feline leukemia. Those will be annual tests for you.

by Anonymousreply 10602/23/2011

My two cents--%0D %0D A soft carrier is the way to go. A dry food only diet is not healthy: vary it with wet food (cats don't have much of a thirst drive and get easily dehydrated--also protein must be the mainstay of their diet). Before you go to work, you should always leave food, clean water and clean litter. The shelters by me are thorough about selling healthy cats (and you pay for it, a good deal), but get your cat checked out by a vet nonetheless. When choosing, in my experience it's always been love at first sight--I lock eyes with the cat, pick it up and the loving begins immediately. (I like affectionate cats, though.) Will you love the cat as much as a dog? Probably, perhaps in a different way but no less ardently. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 10702/23/2011

The 'dry food only' diet is a point of controversy. I advocate it, but clearly R107 does not.%0D %0D No definitive statement has ever been made to back up either of our claims. It's pure preference.

by Anonymousreply 10802/23/2011

So I'm getting ready to adopt this cat. It will be a girl cat.

Which type domestic shorthair is the most lovable/affectionate. I'm talking color not breed. Orange,Calico,Tuxedo,Black,Grey,White or Torti?

by Anonymousreply 10902/28/2011

Bump for Franco's cats Sammy and Zelda.

by Anonymousreply 11002/28/2011

After being unemployed for awhile, I've realized that my three cats are far more aware than I thought. Two of them are absolutely devoted to us and come whenever we speak to them in a certain voice (Cartman from South Park. Not kidding). Two prefer to stay inside, cuddling up or playing with me and their other daddy. They love to fetch toys, play hide and seek, and they are extremely affectionate, not aloof. The third one is a big, butch, serious old man who frequently brings home rats, mice, and gophers and then commands his due worship, respect, and belly massages. He follows us for long walks like a dog. The five of us sleep together every night - hot or cold - and vacations are traumatic for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 11102/28/2011

Don't Torties have "tortitude"?

by Anonymousreply 11202/28/2011

Torties are stunning.

by Anonymousreply 11302/28/2011

My cat does fine by himself at home, even for days, though I like to have my sister come by and play with him if it is going to be more than a day or two.

Mine would never eat anything but dry food and does drink plenty of water. He is 8 and I do wonder if kidney trouble is around the corner.

The amount they want to be around you has to do with their personality, but also how much you keep them with you when they are small.

There is no way to figure out their motivations and they do really weird, inconsistent things some times. Part of what makes them fun pets.

by Anonymousreply 11402/28/2011

Hi, it's r92, just saw this thread bumped. Pip the xmas kitten is very happy at his new home and his owners absolutely adore him.

I suspect that he's 1/2 Bengal (I have 2), because of his markings (he has some "leopard" spots, a spotted tummy, the chest and skull shape) and his high energy stalking skills and berserker modes.

For those who asked, here is a link for a pic of him below- it's weird, he's only 10 weeks here and 2 pounds, but he photographs like a full grown cat:

by Anonymousreply 11502/28/2011

Here is one of Pip where he looks like a proper kitten with a wee face:

by Anonymousreply 11602/28/2011

He's adorable!

by Anonymousreply 11702/28/2011

R109 any comments?

by Anonymousreply 11803/01/2011

I have a pair of tuxedos that rule the roost. They are skilled at corralling their owners into positions as to feed them quickly.

by Anonymousreply 11903/01/2011

But which color (of a female) is more loving?

by Anonymousreply 12003/01/2011

Calicos are very affectionate.

by Anonymousreply 12103/01/2011

I had a calico that was a total bitch.

by Anonymousreply 12203/01/2011

[quote]I think the reason that lolcats have caught on is because cat owners really do spend hours wondering what their cats must be thinking, imagining what they would say if they could talk, etc.%0D %0D I can tell you exactly what they are thinking. "Inferior being, you may bring my food and I will allow you to stroke me afterwards".

by Anonymousreply 12303/01/2011

"Inferior being, you may bring my food and I will allow you to stroke me afterwards".

...until I decide I am tired of it and claw you or run away.

by Anonymousreply 12403/01/2011

DL, I adopted my kitty. She drools and wants to climb on my chest. She purrs and meows like crazy. She also stares at me constantly.%0D %0D Is that normal?

by Anonymousreply 12503/05/2011

She loves you r125.

by Anonymousreply 12603/05/2011

It's normal for an affectionate, sociable cat. You picked a winner.

by Anonymousreply 12703/05/2011

Cats are awesome.

by Anonymousreply 12803/05/2011

That's great to hear. She even wants to help me brush my teeth.

I'm curious. When they clean themselves, besides licking do the sometimes nip at their skin? She's not supposed to have fleas.

by Anonymousreply 12903/05/2011

Cats do kind of gnaw a bit when they are grooming- that is normal. They do kind of a chewing thing on their fur when they bathe.

If you see her scratching her ears it could be mites or fleas. Even if she is clear of fleas now you may have to treat her in the future- I would suggest advantage multi for that.

It sounds like you have yourself a kitty who loves her person. Lucky you!

by Anonymousreply 13003/06/2011

My cat trained me to dig around in her ears. %0D %0D She pushes her ear onto my finger, and wants it deep!%0D %0D She doesn't have ear mites, she just loves having her ears penetrated. Her eyes roll back like she's in a swoon.

by Anonymousreply 13103/06/2011

Yes, kitty is fascinated with me..very sweet. Poor thing has been following me all nite. I know she's exhausted. I'm grateful that she's not a prima donna. You guys have been great help.

I'm still a little paranoid about the litter box. I keep thinking she will forget about it. She likes sneaking under the bed and I keep checking if she's had an accident.

by Anonymousreply 13203/06/2011

Keep her box clean and tidy and kitty will use it.

Another thing, cats like your home clean and tidy- no laundry on the floor as it might encourage her to mistake it for a place to do her business.

Truly though- if a cats litter box is kept clean and kitty is happy and content they will use a box faithfully- Cats are very clean creatures. When a cat goes somewhere it shouldn't it means something is wrong- either they may be sick or upset or anxious about something. If they go where they shouldn't they are trying to tell you something.

by Anonymousreply 13303/06/2011

My Pit Bull loves Kitty.

by Anonymousreply 13403/06/2011

Update on kitty

She's still very sweet and loving .

But she keeps trying to eat the carpet at the seams where the strings come up. Is she just bored?

by Anonymousreply 13503/10/2011

Sleeping Sphinx kitten.

by Anonymousreply 13603/10/2011

Is she a kitten or young cat (1 year)? If so, she may be teething. Get her something else to chew on, STAT, something stuffed with catnip. or she'll make it a habit.

Everytime she starts chewing the rug, distract her with the toy.

by Anonymousreply 13703/10/2011

She's 7 months. I put her in the bathroom while I'm away. I can't afford to have her tear up my carpet. I tried the catnip board and she tries to eat the cardboard. She's very needy. She hates me using the iPad(she's nudging me as I type). I'm going to try the bitter apple if i can find it.

by Anonymousreply 13803/10/2011

Try to find her something else she likes to chew on, to lure her away from the carpet. If she was separated from her mother too soon, she may always be somewhat oral. If you're going to keep shutting her in the bathroom, make sure there's something soft and warm for her to curl up on, like a fuzzy bathmat.

And don't worry about her peeing under the bed. Cat's are naturally clean and don't like messing outside of their litter box. They just like to crawl into dark places, like under the bed and in the back of the closet. Have fun with her- it sounds like you've got a sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 13903/10/2011

Here, my two unrelated cats have melded into one.%0D %0D Preeeesenting Pushme-Pullyu Cat!

by Anonymousreply 14003/10/2011

I wanna Pushme-Pullyu Cat! Adorable.

by Anonymousreply 14103/10/2011

I love my kitten but he is driving me nuts climbing my drapes. He gets his first nail trimming tonight. Should be fun as he hates being held down. Last time he was at the vet's office he caterwauled like he was dying and put up one hell of a fight.

by Anonymousreply 14203/10/2011

R138-- I agree it is probably separation anxiety- I recommend a wooly rug or blanket that can be just hers so she can chew or work her paws on it until her heart is content- cats love cardboard boxes, maybe get her a shallow cardboard box with an open top that she can play, lay in, put her blanket in there. Get an old sock, put some catnip in it ( you can buy dried at the pet store) and tie off the sock and give it to her. Hours of entertainment for her to chew, gnaw and sniff her new toy. Also playtime will help her expend anxious energy- try playing with her for a while before you have to leave her for the day- for this i recommend highly a feather toy- cats adore them.

by Anonymousreply 14303/10/2011

I love them roasted and smothered in shallots sauteed in brown butter.

by Anonymousreply 14403/10/2011

adorable, 140!

by Anonymousreply 14503/10/2011

As I try to type this, one tuxedo has placed his paws on my wrist so I will stop and feed him...

by Anonymousreply 14603/10/2011

Lovely cat(s), R140. Also lovely pics of California! I want to go hiking with you.

by Anonymousreply 14703/10/2011

Kitty likes to lick the bathroom faucet after I use it. How can I stop her?

by Anonymousreply 14803/11/2011

R148, why do you want to stop her? its harmless.

by Anonymousreply 14903/11/2011

I didn't know if it's sanitary.

She eats a bowl of food a day( a little metal bowl) is that too much?

by Anonymousreply 15003/12/2011

Also Kitty wants to get up on the table when I eat. I can't eat in peace anymore. What don you guys do?

by Anonymousreply 15103/12/2011

You could let the faucet run a bit so she can get a drink- that is why she is licking it- probably getting the condensation. Cats love running water. Sanitary? Well, Kitty licks her ass, but your faucet I assume is near your toilet which sends fecal matter into the air and all over the place each time you flush. I wouldn't sweat a cat licking the taps in the first place but if I did I would probably just clean them more often.

The cat food bag will have directions for feeding but honestly I ignore them. I keep a cat dish filled with food and one with water so Kitty can graze at will. Yes it could lead to over eating- but if you offer more interaction and play with your kitty to keep her from being bored it will burn those calories. I don't like the idea of my cat being hungry because I decide a certain size serving is enough to get her through a day.

by Anonymousreply 15203/12/2011

About Kitty wanting to share your meals- you either have to be persistent in insisting she stay on the floor and let you eat or if you don't want to discipline her that way or don't want to bother arguing- just sit her in a room with a closed door while you eat and let her our when you are done. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 15303/12/2011

Jimmy Franco posed a picture of his cat Sammy on his Twitter page.

by Anonymousreply 15403/12/2011

by Anonymousreply 15503/12/2011

I go through a mini-version of this whenever Max Cat comes in from the great outdoors.

by Anonymousreply 15603/14/2011

I love Maru, too. This had me ROTFLMAO

by Anonymousreply 15703/14/2011

Update on Kitty.%0D %0D I had to put her in the cat carrier for her booster and she almost scratched the hay out of me. What is the proper procedure? help DL.%0D %0D She is still a sweet little nugget. She puts her little paw on my forhead sometimes when sleeping.

by Anonymousreply 15803/19/2011

"A dog is prose, a cat is a poem." - Jean Burden

by Anonymousreply 15903/19/2011

Well r158- a number of things.

Did she know- and some cats WILL know just from what they see and hear from you- that she was going to the vet? As soon as my cats hear me say the word, even in whisper- they disappear. If they see the cage before I am want them to, its over, they go into hiding. They know what the carrier means.

Many cats (most!) are afraid of the vet- obvious reasons- its a new scary thing and they can smell and sense the same from some of the other animals there. Over time and with repeated visits this may ease- once she learns nothing horrific will happen and that you will always come for her and take her back home. Some kitties, just like people, are more high strung and anxious than others- they may take a while to get used to other people, car rides, etc. Some cats are okay with the cat carrier, some will never ever like it. Cats are truly individuals.

All I can say is be kind, be patient. You might reward her with a treat like a few Greenies or something to lure her in or maybe once you have her in there- give her something positive to associate. I wouldn't give a meal because her tummy might already be upset.

I have a cat carrier that opens from the front and the top.. I find its easier to get them in there from the top. Put something she loves in there to ease her.. something she likes to lay on and maybe a little toy. Vet visits are stressful for kitty.

by Anonymousreply 16003/19/2011

It's just getting her in there. Guess I'll try the luring into it. I didn't try lifting her by the nape cause I was afraid she would bite. I was as stressed as her maybe she picked up on it.

by Anonymousreply 16103/20/2011

I miss my cat. I had her my entire childhood and beyond. A blue-point Siamese, she died at 15 this weekend in 1984, and I still think of her all the time. She was the friendliest cat I ever saw. She followed me around from room to room, walked me halfway to school in the mornings, slept next to me every night. I never got another one; I'm too allergic, I hate to clean up, and I'm afraid of what she'll do to my apartment.

by Anonymousreply 16203/20/2011

My cat has been acting weird all day. She thought I was taking her to the vet for some reason this morning and started hiding under the furniture. And she started yelling noises that I haven't heard her make before. I hope it's not an earthquake coming.

by Anonymousreply 16303/20/2011

R163, if that continues, it may be a health issue. Keep an eye on her and if it continues, I'd take her to the vet.

by Anonymousreply 16403/20/2011

Three of our local shelters have socialization rooms where volunteers come and just sit, pet, and play with the cats - they don't clean cages or anything else.

Like a piano bar, most of the cats have done you or someone like you so they're not that interested.

by Anonymousreply 16503/20/2011

My little nugget kitty is still pulling at the carpet. I think she is doing it for attention. I'm not sure which is worse scolding her or ignoring her? I just don't want her intestines full of carpet.

by Anonymousreply 16603/23/2011

R166, you may want to spray something like bitter apple (or cat equivalent) on the carpet to discourage the carpet chewing.

by Anonymousreply 16703/23/2011

Confession: I've never taken my 8 year old to the vet. I honestly think that he'd have a heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 16803/23/2011

r168 I think you can get away with it since he (was) is still young. When they turn 10+ plus, that's when health issues arise.

I think some vets offer home service (they come to you).

My cat is turning 10 this year and it makes me so said. His birthday is in June and I'm bringing him to the vet for a senior blood panel and everything else the vet recommends. Cats are strange creature. One day they're healthy, eating and playing; then they stop eating or start throwing up after each meal and you find out they have CRF or diabetes and it just goes down the hill quickly.

by Anonymousreply 16903/23/2011

[quote]Also Kitty wants to get up on the table when I eat. I can't eat in peace anymore. What don you guys do? [quote]%0D %0D I have a counter-height chair that I put next to the table for the cat. She's not interested in what I am eating, she just wants to be near me, whether I am eating or reading the paper at the table.

by Anonymousreply 17003/24/2011

[quote]So cats are incapable of unconditional, irrational love for their owners?

[quote]Any stories of faithful cats?

Yes, and yes--and not just for their owners. One story:

My old girl (petite black and white kitty) was about 1 at the time--we'd had her about 6 months. My older sister, a RN who never got sick, got the flu from a patient. She was feverish and delirious for three days. My cat disappeared, and I found her in my sister's room, curled up next to Sis, her cool paw on my sister's cheek. Kitty looked up at me, then returned to nursing her nurse auntie. She did not leave my sister's side for three days, except to use her litter box and drink water. Every day when I came home from work, the cat was in the same spot. (And this was a cat who LOVED roaming outdoors) She didn't even eat until my sister's fever broke for good (how she knew when that happened, I'll never know). That cat lived to 21, died in 2007, and I still miss her every day. My sister calls her the best nurse she's ever known, even mentioned her in her dissertation acknowledgments.

Whenever I was depressed or cried or any reason, she'd jump up on my chest, look me in the eyes, and lay her little paw on my cheek. When I had a stomach ulcer and couldn't keep anything down, she sacrificed her outdoor roaming to stay curled up at my knee.

I also had a gray tabby who didn't put up with shit. When I was a college freshman, I had a long blue spell, and wouldn't get up for days. Eufus (that was her name) would come and whack me with her paw and glare at me. She made me laugh at my foolishness.

by Anonymousreply 17103/24/2011

My kitty nugget's breath smells a little rough sometimes. Help DL what do you do to make your kitty's breath smell good?

by Anonymousreply 17203/28/2011

r172 you need to brush your kitty's teeth regularly. You need a cat toothpaste that has an enzyme. The best one on the market (you can get it at the vet) is Virbac C.E.T.

by Anonymousreply 17303/28/2011

Awww...I had a Siamese, too. They really are unique. I miss him.

Mine was friendly to me--not a real talker though; typical one-person meezer.

He tolerated my other cat, but barely. The tabby was the one everyone else liked, so he wasn't upset that Roshi didn't like him.

by Anonymousreply 17403/28/2011

I have been feeding a neighborhood cat. This weirdo woman gets cars and then doesn't let them into her house. She's an asshole. Anyway, I found the cat eating the 92 cent suet I buy for the birds at Walmart. I felt sorry for it, so I started buying cat food for it. I also bought a little tent with a heated bottom and put it on my porch since it was 10 degrees outside and the carcass sleeping under my porch

I've befriended and tamed cats before, but this one is hardcore. It is young, but does not trust me. It demands food with loud, pitiful howling. I've been feeding it all winter but if I make a move to pet it or just move my hand in a way it doesn't like, it lashes out at me and rips my hand to shreds, drawing much blood. You'd think the cat would trust me by now, since I feed it twice a day and gave it a warm bed. I thought it was a male, but it's stomach is getting round and now I'm afraid I have a feral cat on my hands which is about to dump a litter of kittens on my porch. This is not a good thing, since my other asshole neighbors let their dogs and cats roam at will. I can't afford to fence my property. We also have raccoons, possums, squirrels, hawks, great horned owls, fox and god knows what else. If that cat has kittens on my porch, there is no way I can protect them from any wildlife or any of the huge dogs that lope onto my porch every day.

I fucking hate my neighbors. Such assholes!

by Anonymousreply 17603/28/2011

[quote] and the carcass sleeping under my porch I thought I'd typed "the cat was sleeping under my porch," but I must've neglected to properly space between "cat" and "was" and my iPhone's spellcheck converted it to "carcass."

by Anonymousreply 17703/28/2011

Could be worms (roundworm usually). How old is the cat?

BTW, R176/R177 don't worry about the typos.

I usually post in the wee hours, so I'm used to deciphering drunk posts. I automatically dry-translated it.

by Anonymousreply 17803/28/2011

It's ridiculous to me that anyone tries to cram/shove/dump an unwilling cat into a carrier, particularly face first.%0D %0D Plastic hard-side carriers (the only type that should be used for transport in a vehicle) have a top half and a bottom half and the entire top half can be easily removed by hand-removal of the screws or plastic tabs. %0D %0D Remove top half of carrier. Set cat in bottom half of carrier on comfy bedding that smells like them or like you that they've preferably stood on repeatedly to eat treats. Reattach top half of carrier. Done. Reverse process at vet office.

by Anonymousreply 17903/28/2011

If you aren't a troll,%0D r129,r132,r135,r138,r148,r150,r151,r161,r172, you need to read a few cat books before something goes horribly awry. Start with "Think Like a Cat" and follow up with several other well-rated books focused on the behavior of domestic cats.

by Anonymousreply 18003/28/2011

R156, that's amazing. Wow.%0D

by Anonymousreply 18103/28/2011

How do you brush a cats teeth without It pulling away and scratching?

by Anonymousreply 18203/28/2011

R182 it helps if you start them young. It also depends a lot on each cat. Finally, you have to gradually and slowly get them into the routine. Shoving a toothbrush in their mouth one day isn't going to work.

Google will turn up lots of step by step instructions. Having said all that, my cats hate the brushing part but I manage to get the toothbrush around the teeth a few times because they love the chicken flavored toothpaste. I found the top front teeth the hardest to brush because they're so tiny and it's almost impossible to get cats to lift the upper lip.

by Anonymousreply 18303/28/2011

R182: there's no need to brush your cat's teeth, just like there's no use to shower them either. They wash themselves, and as long as you give them the right food, then their teeth will be ok. My cat is 5 years old and has NEVER had a problem with her teeth, but we have never brushed her teeth. We have never showered her either. She takes care of her fur herself, and it's actually very soft and shiney, because we give her the right food I guess. She also licks herself a lot to keep the fur nice.

by Anonymousreply 18404/05/2011

I think Persain cats are the coolest cats to own.

by Anonymousreply 18504/05/2011

My cat is pretending to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 18604/05/2011

Is any of your cats trying to get your attention by laying on your lap when you're on the computer/laptop? lol.. my cat does this all the time. It's kinda cute, but kinda annoying too.

by Anonymousreply 18704/05/2011

This cracks me up every time I see it:

by Anonymousreply 18804/05/2011

All the time R187.

by Anonymousreply 18904/05/2011

Wait! Is that really the cat's voice, or is it a joke?

by Anonymousreply 19004/05/2011

[quote]there's no need to brush your cat's teeth, just like there's no use to shower them either. They wash themselves, and as long as you give them the right food, then their teeth will be ok. My cat is 5 years old and has NEVER had a problem with her teeth, but we have never brushed her teeth

r184 that is such bullshit. Cats and dogs need their teeth brushed. Their mouth is no different than ours. They are such to peridontal disease. Your cat is 5, wait until she's a little older and then you'll see how ignorant you are about the dental care of cats. It is a myth that eat dry food is sufficient for dental care.

For people who don't want to brush their cat's teeth, at least rub their teeth with an enzyme toothpaste.

by Anonymousreply 19104/05/2011

let me correct myself -- "They can get periodontal disease."

by Anonymousreply 19204/05/2011

I love that clip, R188.%0D %0D Here's one of my favorites:

by Anonymousreply 19304/05/2011

That guy who hosted 'Must Love Cats' on Animal Planet is gay. He's terrifyingly talented.

by Anonymousreply 19404/05/2011

No he's not, r194. He may have had a cat when he was younger, but he didn't own one prior to the show. It was just dumb luck that he appeared in a video that a friend (or bandmate) sent to Animal Planet as an audition. They didn't want the friend, but decided to hire him instead. Only recently did he adopt 2 cats from the shelter and when he's on the road, his girlfriend takes care of them.

by Anonymousreply 19504/05/2011

R191, funny.. the vet said my cat has perfect teeth and even he said there's no need to brush her teeth.

by Anonymousreply 19604/05/2011

[quote]funny.. the vet said my cat has perfect teeth and even he said there's no need to brush her teeth.

Then your vet is an idiot or you're just making that up. Your cat is 5, come back when he's 9+ and tell us about his "perfect teeth." He probably doesn't want you to brush the cat's teeth because he knows how much money he'll be able to charge you and arm and a leg when your senior cat comes in for a tooth extraction.

by Anonymousreply 19704/05/2011

Update on kitty nugget.%0D %0D Now she likes to stalk my feet and legs under the covers when I go to sleep. I put her off but she keeps it up for at least 40 minutes. I don't want to lock her out of my room because she will scratch the door up. I tried putting her toys in the room but then she just plays with them for 40 minutes making a racket or chewing the carpet. She finally winds down. I do work the night shift but I come and play with her. I'll watch some tv and she'll sleep next to me on her table but then when I go to bed she wants to create havoc.%0D %0D DL please help.

by Anonymousreply 19804/05/2011

Eventually she'll grow out of it r198. Have you tried a vigorous play session before you go to bed? Or how about brushing her after about ten or so minutes. She might come to see your bedtime as grooming time.

by Anonymousreply 19904/05/2011

Why don't you marry them?

by Anonymousreply 20004/05/2011

Why don't you marry Norma Shearer?

by Anonymousreply 20104/05/2011

Where do I get kitty toothpaste for kitty nugget. Help DL.

by Anonymousreply 20204/09/2011

I order it from amazon. Pet stores have it as well.

by Anonymousreply 20304/09/2011

by Anonymousreply 20404/09/2011

What temperature should I keep my apartment at when I'm at work? I come home before midnight and live in the south. I do have fans. I want kitty nugget comfortable but also don't want a high light bill. Are the fans enough? Help DL.

by Anonymousreply 20504/11/2011

I'm in DC where the summer's can get pretty steamy too. I keep the AC at about 73-4. It's not very cool but hey I'm not printing money so the cats can like it or lump it. I also put ice cubes in the water bowls.

by Anonymousreply 20604/11/2011

I figure kitty nugget hides under the bed when I'm gone sometimes. She also likes the tower fan blowing on her.

by Anonymousreply 20704/11/2011

I bought two chicken breasts at the store today. Can I feed some of it to my cat? Should I cook it before I give it to her?

by Anonymousreply 20804/11/2011

My cat, Bee, passed away yesterday. She was 16 years old and had kidney failure. Putting her to sleep was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. She was an amazing cat who loved to talk and she got me through a lot of tough times. I'm trying to remember the good times, but it has been hard for me to bury the image of her laying there lifeless. I'm hoping I don't cry all day again.

by Anonymousreply 20904/13/2011

I'm so sorry, r209. I can't even imagine how hard that must be to go through. My cat is 3 years old and I hope he lives as long as your cat did. I know it's hard, but just try to focus on the good times you had with her. I'm sure you have lots of great memories.

by Anonymousreply 21004/13/2011

R209 my heart goes out to you. I will give kitty nugget an extra hug for you. I hope that one day you can open up to another little one.

by Anonymousreply 21104/14/2011

R209, I'm stroking my 17 year old kitty as I type this. My heart goes out to you. May you love again.

by Anonymousreply 21204/14/2011

The fact that cats often makes better companions than some men got me thinking....perhaps all I need is a cat...

by Anonymousreply 21304/14/2011

209 here. Thanks for the kind words. Today has been better than the last two and I dug out all of her old pictures of when she was a tiny baby. I used to bottle feed her because she had no mother and she was only 3 weeks old when I picked her out at the shelter.

I'm sure once I have had time to grieve, I will adopt another black kitty and give him/her a great home.

Cherish the time you have with your pets! It was unexpected and happened so quickly. I was glad I had no regrets. Just before she took a turn for the worse, we had taken her outside to sunbathe (her favorite thing to do) and got a lot of wonderful pictures of her.

by Anonymousreply 21404/14/2011

{{{ HUGS, 209 }}}

by Anonymousreply 21504/14/2011

Big, big hugs, R209. Black kitties are so special, aren't they?

by Anonymousreply 21604/14/2011

I'm getting weepy again. Kitty nugget is fast asleep. She's a handful but I know R209 is right enjoy the time we have.

by Anonymousreply 21704/14/2011

Is kitty nugget the new Miss Sissy Boodles?

by Anonymousreply 21804/15/2011

Kitty nugget is still stalking my feet at night under the covers. Is she just playing or actually hunting? Does anyone have a solution. Help DL.

by Anonymousreply 21904/16/2011

Middle Cat? You in danger, girl!

by Anonymousreply 22004/16/2011

Question for DL. Help.%0D %0D Should I leave the tv on for Kitty Nugget at night (I work the night shift)? I'm not sure what she does when I'm away. She might just hide under the bed all night. Also, if she's not going to watch it, it would be a waste of electricity.%0D %0D The thing is she does enjoy watching it when I'm home (that I know). I came in from work last night and she was loving "Dancing with the Stars". I think it was all the bright lights and movement. She also likes the Animal Planet network. She enjoys watching dogs (not that much the cats).%0D %0D If I do leave it on , should I just leave it on the Animal Planet?%0D %0D Do you guys leave the tv on for your kitties when away?

by Anonymousreply 22104/19/2011

I got a new playmate foe Kitty nugget. It's a Mini nugget. A little kitten whereas Kitty nugget is about 8 months old. Kitty nugget doesn't seem to like her.Kitty nugget hisses, growls, and bats at Mini nugget.

How long does the integration take? I hate that Kitty nugget is unhappy. I want them to love each other and be friends.

I've heard two weeks. The rescue lady said to try to give it a month.

Help DL what has your experience been in this situation.

by Anonymousreply 22204/25/2011

I was pleased to see the 'Must Love Cats' host as an expert on the Cats 101 tv program on Animal Planet. They don't let him sing though.

by Anonymousreply 22304/25/2011

"I bought two chicken breasts at the store today. Can I feed some of it to my cat?"%0D %0D I am slowly switching to rawfeeding for my two. I know a number of dog and cat owners who are doing this--usually starting with chicken, and eventually expanding (depending on their pet) to quail, beef, duck, rabbit, pork, raw whole fish, raw whole rodents, etc. The focus should be on transitioning your pet's diet to raw meaty bones, which is what obligate carnivores are meant to eat. %0D

by Anonymousreply 22404/25/2011

When I had to put my cat to sleep unexpectedly (he had lymphoma at 13) 3 Easters ago, I bawled my eyes out. I took all my photos of him and made a hardback Shutterfly book out of them. It's a nice memento.

I now have a kitty (got him used at 9 years old) who is My Favortie Cat Ever. I tell him all the time that he's going to live til he's 20.

by Anonymousreply 22504/25/2011

Calling all kitty experts...

How do I get my recently adopted shelter cat to enjoy getting brushed? I've had her for about 6 months and we've come a long way with her trust issues, but she still doesn't like being touched much on her back.

She's a short to medium haired tortie-brown tabby mix with a very dense coat and is shedding her winter coat like mad.

Any suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 22604/25/2011

maybe the brush is the problem

by Anonymousreply 22704/25/2011

If she allows you to pet her, R226, try petting her wearing rubber gloves - the heavy duty playtex-type gloves used to wash dishes. The hair comes off in clumps. Gloves also work for clearing hair from clothes and furniture.

by Anonymousreply 22804/25/2011

r226, do you let your cat outside? I let my cat out for supervised play time, and make brushing part of that. She likes going out so much that she's accepted the brushing part. %0D %0D She also had a real sensitive spot on her back where I couldn't even pet her, she'd bite me. Eventually she got over that. You have to make brushing a good experience for your cat.%0D %0D Maybe start with a comb, and hold her in your lap and comb her face, neck and top of head. When she gets used to that, switch to the brush. After she accepts being lightly brushed around her face, work a little more of it at a time until she will let you brush most of her. It could take years for her to get over the back vulnerability thing, so be patient.%0D %0D Here's a video on grooming

by Anonymousreply 22904/25/2011

My 17 y/o kitty is in the earliest stages of kidney disease. Her BUN/Creatinine level is OK, but her BUN is 42. She still eats and plays like always. Only the lab results indicate a problem.%0D %0D How long will she live?%0D %0D Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm aching inside.

by Anonymousreply 23004/25/2011

DL still need help. How long is the integration period between two kitties when a new one is brought in?

by Anonymousreply 23104/25/2011

Thanks for the replies, Ciaran and r229. I'll continue to be patient and try your suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 23204/25/2011

I meant to say her BUN/Creatinine ratio is OK.

by Anonymousreply 23304/25/2011

R22, I honestly wouldn't worry about it. All cats are different so there is no predicting exactly when they will start getting along. But even if they never get along the way you want them to, they will most likely settle down into ignoring each other (up to a certain point).

They are both so young yet that I think chances are good that they will eventually get along and be company for each other.

At one time, I had three cats who weren't crazy about each other, but when something frightened them (like when I moved them to a new house) they would all huddle together.

by Anonymousreply 23404/25/2011

Ciaran, wow, great tip, I've never heard that one before. My cats have no problem with me touching them but they just hate being brushed. It's very annoying especially since it's shedding season and they leave hair everywhere.

I'll try the glove treatment tonight.

by Anonymousreply 23504/25/2011

[225] - thank you for your story. I did the same thing with Bee's pictures, I had them printed into a book through iPhoto. I look at it sometimes to spend some time thinking about her. I'm still not used to her absence. I always come home thinking she's there to greet me at the door and she never is. I hope that part will get easier with time. I'm also thinking of adopting again because I really miss having a cat around. This is the first time in 16 years that I haven't had one.

[230] - I can't tell you how long you have, though I wish I could. Bee had kidney failure and so I only had a couple days to decide to put her to sleep. All I can say is spend as much time as you can with your kitty and take lots of pictures and videos. The videos I had saved on my camera are the most precious things I have of her. She was a big talker so I am glad I'll always have her meows on video to listen to every now and then. Hang in there. *hugs*

by Anonymousreply 23604/25/2011

Any suggestions on how to get a 7 week old kitten to stop biting my hands? I tried putting sour apple spray on my hands as my vet suggested, but it doesn't stop her.

by Anonymousreply 23704/25/2011

A spray bottle of water, R237. But kittens are WILD and they usually outgrow things like this anyway. Yes, some cats are biters, but the biters I've known weren't biters as kittens.

by Anonymousreply 23804/26/2011

Thanks for your kind words, r236.%0D %0D Sorry for your loss of dear Bee.

by Anonymousreply 23904/26/2011

Ignore her. If she bites you during play, stop play and walk away. Come back, play with her, if she bites, stop and walk away again. She'll eventually understand that biting leads to no fun.

Of course, you're NOT playing with her with your hands right? When kittens think your hands are toys, they will scratch and bite them. That's why you always use toys when playing with kittens and not your hands.

I use my hands to pat and caress my cats and never for play. The only time they bite me is when they want me to stop touching them and the bites are little nips or love taps. Well adjusted cats learn the difference between biting as a tip to the wise and biting to hurt.

by Anonymousreply 24004/26/2011

r240 - About an hour ago, I was lying on the bed next to her and not using my hands to play with her. She ran right up to my face and bit me on my cheek. Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 24104/26/2011

[r226] I use a little rubber curry brush, and anchor the wire one with my foot so they can rub their cheeks on it.

I start off with one or two brushes and give a treat. Always around the same time of day. I show the brush, brush, then give a treat. Rinse, lather, repeat. All of the cats that I've had have succumbed to this treatment.

I've tried the gloves, but they don't get hair like the rubber curry brush does. But do reward them even if you use the gloves.

Regarding My Favorite Cat Ever, I've taught him dog tricks this year (he's 11!). He sits, turns in circles in both directions, and begs upright.

by Anonymousreply 24204/26/2011

When do you think I can leave Kitty nugget and Mini Nugget alone together? Kitty nugget swipes her paw at her and I'm afraid there will be an all out fight.

by Anonymousreply 24304/26/2011

R241, when she bit you, you picked her up, placed aside and ignored her? Try this for awhile. She's very young, she's learning boundaries. No rewards or attention for biting.

by Anonymousreply 24404/26/2011

I've been successful with a similar method as R242. One to three brush strokes to start along with a favorite treat and whatever other positive reinforcement works with that pet - certain type of petting or scratching or rubbing or crooning to them. Start very slowly and work on it every day, you'll meet with success sooner than you think. %0D

by Anonymousreply 24504/26/2011

R241 - you've gotten some good advice and I sincerely wish you the best with your rambunctious kitten.%0D %0D Also have to comment, for perusers: this is another example of why kittens are supposed to be raised and trained by mama cat at 7 weeks of age and not adopted (unless orphaned) until 12+ weeks. And even better, adopted with a sibling, both at 12+ weeks.

by Anonymousreply 24604/26/2011

I got a cat for my dog. They are great friends. The cat grooms the dog, who loves it. But I really have no feelings for the cat. He's there to keep the dog company, and as long as my precious pug is happy, I'll keep feeding the cat and changing his litter.

by Anonymousreply 24704/26/2011

R230 Kidney disease, I'm sorry to hear that.%0D %0D My experience is positive however I know it's not always this way, but your situation sounds like mine. My cat has had BUN at that level with other numbers good, and BUN varying higher and a bit lower at times, for at least 6 years. He's 20 now.%0D %0D Has urine concentration been checked? If not, I'd get that done too.%0D %0D The more water the better. Multiple water dishes in various locations, changed frequently, a fountain if appropriate. Always more canned food, less dry food. Water water water! Learn multiple ways to check for dehydration, have the vet check if you're not sure. %0D %0D Don't be afraid to do subq fluids at home as soon as needed, you can practice with the vet tech. Some folks maintain a CRF cat comfortably, happily on fluids for several years. I just started fluids recently but wish I'd started last fall. %0D %0D Also check weight frequently. And prescription kidney foods work well for many also.%0D %0D Good luck to both of you! %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 24804/26/2011

How about using a syringe to hydrate the cat? It may be a good step before doing sub liquids. When my cats are sick and refuse food/water, I hydrate them with water and watery canned food with a large syringe. This ties them over until they start eating again. They don't like it but I'm able to get a few squirts in before they take off.

Google how to use a syringe to feed/hydrate cats properly. If you do it wrong, it's equivalent of us having food/water go down the "wrong pipe". Best tip is to aim from the side of the mouth, not the front. Also do it gently and slowly.

by Anonymousreply 24904/26/2011

My 15YO 20 pounder has taken to singing at night. I love him but why the hell is he doing this? When I ask him to be quiet he goes to the basement and sings his heart out, WTF? This is fairly new behavior, could he be in pain?

by Anonymousreply 25004/26/2011

Singing--does he sound in pain? Does he want something? Usually if my cats talk, it's because they're nagging me for something--to go out, play with plastic bags, etc. I understand them now because it took me a few times to figure what made them stop talking, like opening the drawer door so they can nuzzle plastic bags collection. Or they would constantly bug me while I was cooking. I figured out they just wanted to check out what was on the stove. As soon as I picked them up and let them sniff out their curiosity, they were content to go off on their way. That's nagging talk.

If the talk sound more serious, he could be telling you something. Try offering him things until he shuts up. If that doesn't work, it's a trip to the vet. Cats are pretty predictable in their own fickle way. If they start doing something out of the ordinary, they're giving you a big hint.

by Anonymousreply 25104/26/2011

I wouldn't feed an animal raw meat for the same reason I wouldn't eat it myself. There's just too many pathogens in it. Chicken especially is prone to have salmonella in it and that's just as bad for Kitty Nugget as it is for us.

by Anonymousreply 25204/26/2011

R251, he sings Judy Garland; all of a sudden from the basement "I got the surprise, the surprise of my life..."

by Anonymousreply 25304/26/2011

"I wouldn't feed an animal raw meat for the same reason I wouldn't eat it myself. There's just too many pathogens in it. Chicken especially is prone to have salmonella in it and that's just as bad for Kitty Nugget as it is for us."%0D %0D First of all, stop referring to the cat as "Kitty Nugget." Two, cats have a much shorter intestinal tract than humans, which means bacteria spend less time multiplying in their guts reducing their susceptibility to intestinal upset from the aforementioned pathogens. Your cat was meant to eat raw meat. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 25404/26/2011

Mini nugget is sneezing. She does love to play in her litter box. Is this the cause?

by Anonymousreply 25504/27/2011

Heh, I just heard a story on NPR about Toxoplasmosis and Crazy Cat people. Sounds very plausable:

by Anonymousreply 25604/27/2011

Mini nugget went to the vet and checked out fine. Just have to watch the sneezes may have an allergy. She also has a hernia which the doc says just to keep an eye on it.

by Anonymousreply 25705/03/2011

How's Kitty nugget doing these days?

by Anonymousreply 25805/11/2011

Thanks, R248. My cat still has a great appetite and energy level, so I am hopeful she'll make it to age 20. Her urine concentration is good.%0D %0D About the subq hydration: how long does the procedure take and how often do you do it? Is your kitty tolerating it well?

by Anonymousreply 25905/12/2011

I love Chicken Fried Rice

by Anonymousreply 26005/12/2011

Cats are known to lower people's blood pressure, and the purring is very comforting. I had a beautiful persian cat for many years, and I would give anything to have her back...she died the same week as Princess Diana.

by Anonymousreply 26105/12/2011

R258.Kitty Nugget is doing great. She loves playing with Mini Nugget( although she doesn't play with me as much).

question. Mini Nugget keeps trying to run out the front door( she did get out once). How do I get in the door at night without her getting out?

by Anonymousreply 26205/13/2011

Even worse than baby shit at work...

by Anonymousreply 26305/15/2011

[r262] We've resorted to leaving a spray bottle outside the door and spraying them as we walk in.

It works.

by Anonymousreply 26405/15/2011

Thanks 264.

Right now Miini and Kitty are doing their sweet

by Anonymousreply 26505/15/2011

Mini Nugget has taken to climbing the screened porch in my apt. I trim her nails but she still is spider kitty. She knows she is wrong because shell turn around, look at me and meow and wag her tail. Kitty nugget is a good girl and doesnt climb the screens. She loves the fresh air. How do I control spidey? I don't want to punish Kitty Nugget for Minis indescretion.

by Anonymousreply 26610/01/2011

I love kitties but I'm about to kill my youngest one. He uses my furniture as a scratching post instead of the real scratching post. He alternates between being a total hellion I hate to being a sweet little thing so I put up with his shit.

by Anonymousreply 26710/01/2011

I also love cats, my cat likes to cuddle, be held, and purrs a lot but you have to do it when he wants it.

by Anonymousreply 26810/01/2011

Update, Now that it has turned cold, Kitty Nugget likes to lay on me at night. Mini Nugget sleeps inside the box springs of my bed.

by Anonymousreply 26912/11/2011

My cat passed away yesterday and I am heart broken. He was a great friend.

by Anonymousreply 27001/01/2012

Kitty Nugget and Mini Nugget have gotten very frisky with the onset of cold weather. Are all cats the same way?

by Anonymousreply 27101/08/2012

It is very possible, R71 that, if they were in the wild, it would be breeding time. The gestation period for a cat is 60-70 days and, considering the fact that most animals breed to have young in the spring, this would mean that offspring would be born mid- to late- March.

This can be a holdover from earlier times, even if your kitties are fixed.

by Anonymousreply 27201/08/2012

Of course, I meant R271.

by Anonymousreply 27301/08/2012

Condolences R270, I've got one cat napping on my lap and the other likewise next to me on the sofa. I'm glad they are in my life.

by Anonymousreply 27401/08/2012

Thanks for the info. Kitty Nugget has become quite the snuggle bunny sleeping on me at night.

R270 so sorry.

by Anonymousreply 27501/08/2012

My big brat of a cat is antagonising one of my dogs and when the dog chases her, she runs under a chair where the dog can't reach her. My stoopid dog keeps rising to the bait, though. It is a real power trip between the two of them.

by Anonymousreply 27601/08/2012

Glad to hear the Nuggets are doing so well!

by Anonymousreply 27701/08/2012

Not this one.

by Anonymousreply 27801/08/2012

Of course you do, you are queer right?

by Anonymousreply 27901/08/2012

The worlds laziest cats

by Anonymousreply 28001/14/2012

The world's tallest cat

by Anonymousreply 28101/14/2012

That is not a normal cat. That's some crazy hybrid with an African cat.

by Anonymousreply 28201/14/2012

very creepy looking cat.

by Anonymousreply 28301/14/2012

I'd sleep with one eye open with that cat.

by Anonymousreply 28401/14/2012

We got our cat at a local shelter. At first he seemed afraid of us and didn't even want to play or anything. But he slowly warmed up to us and now he's the most loving cat ever. He sits on my lap when I watch TV and he loves to play. He's so full of energy. He'll be 4 years old this summer. We're so glad we could give a shelter cat a loving home.

by Anonymousreply 28501/14/2012

Yeesh, I feel like dinner.

by Anonymousreply 28601/14/2012

Goddammit, my Most Favorite Cat in the World has small cell diffuse gastrointestinal lymphoma. However, it's the best one to have as it can be treated into remission and the cat can live another 2-7 years.

He's going to be 13 this year. I guess 2 more years is good? Poop. Why can't dogs and cats have a longer lifespan? I've only had 3 years with him (I got him when he was 9). I guess he's not going to live until he's 20. Pooooop.

by Anonymousreply 28701/14/2012

My cat is never mean and sometimes she seems to get her feelings hurt. She's very loving and playful and thankful and I love spending time with her.

by Anonymousreply 28801/15/2012

Radiolab has an explanation.

by Anonymousreply 28901/15/2012

What should I keep the air on during the day for my cats? It's Florida and already hot but I can't afford an extreme electric bill?

by Anonymousreply 29004/04/2012

Then, R290, you should move. Cats rule!

by Anonymousreply 29104/05/2012

a most underrated animal.

by Anonymousreply 29204/05/2012

R290, we have hot humid summers here too and I also have to be mindful of the electrical bill. I leave the temp at in the lower-mid 70's (I have the old fashioned analog device). Cats actually are okay with warmer temperatures. I just make sure to leave lots of fresh water out. I even put ice cubes in the water. Sometimes they'll hang out in the bathtub where it's cooler. This summer, I'm going to put ice in a thermal bag and leave it in the tub. That should give the cats a cool place to lie down and I can scrimp on the AC.

by Anonymousreply 29304/05/2012

My first cat was a shelter cat. I named him Bootsie Gum Drops.

by Anonymousreply 29404/05/2012

Bootsie Gumdrop

by Anonymousreply 29504/05/2012

Bootsie Gum Drop

by Anonymousreply 29604/05/2012

My first cat was a wonderful shelter cat I named Bootsie Gum Drop. My husband now is allergic to cats.

by Anonymousreply 29704/05/2012

Bootsie Gum Drop was my first shelter cat.

by Anonymousreply 29804/05/2012

r290, if your AC doesn't have a timer, you can buy one for under $20 that will turn it on automatically. I have thermal backed shades that I keep closed in the summer to keep the sun out and keep the cool in. I set the A/c to go on at 2 pm. I run it at 70 degrees.

I never brushed my cat's teeth and she lived to be 19. Never had any dental problems, never even had tartar on her teeth. I fed her very high quality food and treats.

I am going to meet a shelter cat today. Not sure it will be a good match but if it is, I am taking the rest of the week off to get to know my new cat over the weekend.

If I get her, I think I have to name her Bootsie Gumdrop.

by Anonymousreply 29904/05/2012

OK, so the cat I went to see is not the one for me, and no one particularly grabbed my heart...except for a tiny little 15 year old ginger who sought me out and started rubbing and weaving around my legs. She was purring up a storm.

They offered her to me with free lifetime veterinary care as part of a foster program for the eldercats. I know there can be significant medical costs associated with geriatric felines but if I was to do this, I'd rather see that money going back into the shelter to help more cats.

Question for all you experienced cat adopters, is an elderly cat who has lived most of her life in a shelter able to make the transition to living in a house or would it be too overwhelming? Am I nuts for even considering this? I just lost my cat of 19 years but she was pretty healthy right up to the very end.

PS, it's weird that I was posting on this thread while my cat was still alive. I miss her so.

by Anonymousreply 30004/05/2012

Wow, I have hot flashes summer, winter, spring and fall and I am perfectly comfortable with the AC at 75/76 degrees. Are you people who put the AC at 70 degrees grossly obese? Even my obese mother doesn't put her AC that low.

by Anonymousreply 30104/05/2012

R299, do it. I volunteer with a shelter who send their cats out to Petsmart/Petco and it breaks my heart when I see an older/elderly cat there. You know the chances of it getting adopted are pretty low. There are cats who spend years in a tiny cage at no kill shelters. Right now we have a couple of older girls who aren't well socialized and they have been at the Petsmart for over 3 months. Even that makes me sad. I try to go in and do as much as I can to make them comfortable but it's still 23 hours or more a day in the cage for them.

The cat should have no problems transitioning to your home. Anything would be a step up from their cage. Just take your time and slowly transition her to your home. Initially you should keep her in a small room. Even a bathroom would work. And then open up your home over a few weeks. You'll be doing a great favor to the cat. And the shelter will pick up the vet bills. It's a win-win for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 30204/05/2012

[quote]You are just that warm blob that brings them food once a day and provides a place to sit. If you died they'd happily divest your skeleton of flesh and sit at the window licking their paws and wondering what they should do for the day.

Uhm.. no. I know my cat loves me. When she gets home (she's an outdoor cat), she doesn't even eat.. she comes looking for me first. She wants to cuddle and look if I'm there. And when I'm traveling or whatever.. she doesn't even eat.

by Anonymousreply 30304/05/2012

While I am glad that so many of u get such satisfaction out of your cats and are giving them such good and loving homes, I have always favored dogs.

One of my favorite homer simpson lines was during an ep where santa's little helper was missing for some reason-homer was down about it and lisa asked if he would like to pet the cat-homer looks at the cat and says matter of factly, "eh, what's the point?" that sort of sums up my feelings about them.

by Anonymousreply 30404/05/2012

It's true some cats are very standoff and many are indifferent. But I've also come across very affectionate ones. There are cats who curl up on your chest or shoulder and cling to you. There are others who can't get enough head scratches and their reaction resembles a drug high or climax. Having spent lots of time with shelter cats--you come across all kinds.

by Anonymousreply 30504/05/2012

[quote]You are just that warm blob that brings them food once a day and provides a place to sit. If you died they'd happily divest your skeleton of flesh and sit at the window licking their paws and wondering what they should do for the day.

I used to think that way too until my sister left her partner of ten years. Their cat was so distressed by the breakup it got so ill it threw up blood and died.

by Anonymousreply 30604/05/2012

You are just that warm blob that brings them food once a day and provides a place to sit. If you died they'd happily divest your skeleton of flesh and sit at the window licking their paws and wondering what they should do for the day.

This is the must stupidest statement I've ever heard. My cat loves me just as much as I love him.

by Anonymousreply 30704/05/2012

[quote] This is the must stupidest statement I've ever heard.

Pot ---- kettle

by Anonymousreply 30804/05/2012

[R82] Ringer's lactate is fine. When my cat was 8, he was diagnosed with kidney disease and the vet gave him about two years. Two years later, the vet said the cat had hardly any kidney left. He lived three more years. I gave him the fluids the entire time - 5-1/2 years. Totally worth it. He was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 30904/05/2012

Goodness. I keep my temp on 87 or 88.

by Anonymousreply 31004/06/2012

Forgot to add, I have plenty of tower fans and ceiling fans for my bootsies.

by Anonymousreply 31104/06/2012

I don't like the Pussies. And no one on this site should either.

by Anonymousreply 31204/07/2012

There are lesbians on DL, you fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 31304/07/2012

I heart this cat story. It brought a tear to my eye.

by Anonymousreply 31401/12/2013

I love my kitty, my kitty loves me

If I won't hurt her, she won't hurt me

I sit by the fire and give her some fud

And kitty will love me because I am good

by Anonymousreply 31501/13/2013

I've always flavored dogs. Cats are too messy.

by Anonymousreply 31601/13/2013

You favor dogs because cats are too messy? Dogs are the definition of messy.

Most cats are OCD about cleanliness. They spend most of their waking hours cleaning themselves. I get that some people don't like cats, but them being messy is not usually one of the reasons used.

by Anonymousreply 31701/13/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 31807/19/2013

My cat isn't indifferent at all. She's a total lap kitty. She would spend all day cuddling if you'd let her. When I had a horrible respiratory infection last year that turned into severe bronchitis, she didn't leave my side for 3 weeks and would lay against my side like a little purring hot water bottle, giving me kitty kisses the whole time. She's very sweet to my two little nephews, too. Very patient and gentle with them.

by Anonymousreply 31907/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!