Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Johnny Depp - What happened?

He used to be SO incredibly sexy, dapper, seemingly nice, smiling, happy.

Now, he's just this greasy, grimy mess who may be a good actor but whose personality seems to match his physical appearance. He seems to take himself way, WAY too seriously. Oh, and needs a bathe.

I know he thinks he's super cool, etc.., but how much longer can he play this shtick before everyone tires of it?

by Anonymousreply 17104/16/2014

What are you talking about? Johnny Depp is the most elusive, least famewhoring actor out there. You don't hear about Depp unless he's got a movie coming out and has to do publicity. He safeguards his personal life and family.

by Anonymousreply 112/13/2010

What r1 said. And he doesn't take himself as seriously as he used to.

by Anonymousreply 212/13/2010

Uh oh, our first rabid Depp FanGurl has appeared, at R1 no less!

And here I was thinking it would be at least 20 minutes before they sniffed this thread out.

by Anonymousreply 312/13/2010

The ugliest thing that happened to Johnny Depp is his overblown ego!%0D %0D He takes himself way too seriously in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 412/13/2010

I agree. He looks greasy and gross.

by Anonymousreply 512/13/2010

He just jumped the shark for me by being interviewed by Patti Smith in Rolling Stone. Absolutely insufferable, these two going on and on about French poets and libertines, then giving us their "permission" to like "guilty pleasures" such as the Monkees "I'm a Believer." %0D %0D Bitch, you couldn't write something as straight-up BRILLIANT as "I'm a Believer" if your life depended on it. Now run along and rat your hair, dear. You've got an image to uphold.

by Anonymousreply 612/13/2010

He was NEVER sexy, at his best he was gross.

by Anonymousreply 712/13/2010

r3 I'm not a fangurl. I don't much care for any mainstream celebrities. What I said about Depp is true. He appears in public when his film premieres and the disappears. After the Tourist run, you won't hear or see much from Depp.

by Anonymousreply 812/13/2010

I hate him for effectively ending Vanessa Paradis' recording career.

by Anonymousreply 1012/13/2010

He's been a weird mix of pretentious and too-cool-for-school, showing up to premieres in ugly getups for years. I think the only thing that's changed recently is his face is starting to look older and bloated.

by Anonymousreply 1212/13/2010

He's not a good actor. He's a ham.

by Anonymousreply 1312/13/2010

I could never understand why ANYONE found him sexy. He isn't good looking and he always looked dirty and greasy to me. Bleeechh.

by Anonymousreply 1412/13/2010

Oh please. You bitches would profess that you wanted his load if he had not been exposed to the masses. You will say the same thing about Joseph Levitt in 15 years. Bunch of haters! NEXT!

by Anonymousreply 1512/13/2010

It was Depp's weird hairstyle in The Tourist that did him in. He should have had something more GQ and attractive-looking.

by Anonymousreply 1612/13/2010

"See, I'm unkempt, messy, a little gamey and greasy because I focus on my CRAFT. You know, my ART? Like my muddy shoes I wore to tonight's premier? I couldn't care less. I was touring some property in Appalachia which I might build a home for wayward artistic gay albino teens on, so I didn't have time to change. I'm deep, you know? I love French poets and exploring deeper dimensions of being and life. For one to really be in connection with his art is to be in connection with his being... oh, damn, my throat is dry. WOULD SOMEBODY GET ME A FUCKING PELLEGRINO OVER HERE! NOOWWWW PLEASE! Hey, you didn't get that did you? You'll cut out that last part, right?"

by Anonymousreply 1712/13/2010

I do love him as an actor, but personally he seems to be a bit of a mess. He obviously wants to escpe from his white-trash background, but has failed to develop any visible class or maturity. So he's stuck with the eccentric man-child thing instead, and he's getting a little old for that.%0D %0D He's also developing a serious case of drunkface. He really does need to get a grip on hismelf.

by Anonymousreply 1812/13/2010

OP, Depp has been greasy, grimy, scraggly, and in need of a bath for many, many years.%0D %0D At least 15 years.%0D %0D I remember him no other way. Except I have seen very early photos when he was very young.%0D %0D He's a scraggly slob in his personal life and in his personal appearances.%0D %0D I have no idea why anyone is attracted to him or finds him sexy.

by Anonymousreply 1912/13/2010

I didn't have much of an opinion of him as an actor, but then read the VF article on him a few years ago which took place while he was sailing on his boat.%0D %0D I know these articles are puff pieces, but he came across like such a goofball playing cool. I know it must be difficult cause actors need to be guarded or whatever. Yet, it was a really lame article during which the author just talked about how cool it was to be sailing with JD and his ultra cool friends and rather than dispell that he seemed to relish it.%0D %0D otherwise, I can't recall ever going ot see a movie with him in it - never seemed like much of a draw

by Anonymousreply 2012/13/2010

He always looks like he needs a bath.

by Anonymousreply 2112/13/2010

I agree. Depp should really be like every other Ken doll actor out there. Anyone who dresses differently from approved norms is immediately suspect.%0D %0D I really prefer my creative people to be cookie cutter.

by Anonymousreply 2212/13/2010

Loved him in Secret Window, and look forward to The Rum Diary.

by Anonymousreply 2312/13/2010

R20, I remember that article and it kind of made me sad - you'd think he was one of those effortlessly cool types and I think he's so aware of the public's perception of him now he's trying too hard to live up to that.

by Anonymousreply 2412/13/2010

[quote]Now, he's just this greasy, grimy mess who may be a good actor but whose personality seems to match his physical appearance. He seems to take himself way, WAY too seriously. Oh, and needs a bathe.%0D %0D I know nothing about his peronality, but he's at best an adequate actor who has always looked greasy and sallow and in need of a bathe.%0D %0D Sex symbol? Brilliant actor? That's the crap of the likes of Mary Hart and ET.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2512/13/2010

I think it's become clear that despite all his attempts to be edgy, he is just a dull man who hides behind manufactured quirky behavior, stupid facial hair, silly hats and friendships with outrageous artists to maintain his cred. I never used to feel this way, but something about his recent behavior (including the latest issue of Vanity Fair) hint at the fact that he is a boring guy who is terrified the public will see the pedestrian fraud behind the curtain.

by Anonymousreply 2612/13/2010

I've always had the same feeling about Brad Pitt, R26. Masking his good looks with a disheveled appearance, his obsession with architecture and world causes. Even his choice of AJ felt contrived to me, as though he assumed she would give him some street cred.

by Anonymousreply 2712/13/2010

R26, Depp also often wears bizarre and ugly clothing which looks ridiculous.%0D %0D He wears some of the weirdest, ugliest clothes and outfits ever.

by Anonymousreply 2812/13/2010

He seemed so "normal" in "A Nightmare on Elm Street". I guess that was before he became a real artist. However, I love him in the pirate movies.

by Anonymousreply 2912/13/2010

I've always found him weird looking and hated his aggressively odd, hobo artiste schtick. Relieved to see others feel the same way.

by Anonymousreply 3012/13/2010

Those who think he is hot need their eyes checked.

by Anonymousreply 3112/13/2010

C'mon , he was a quite beautiful in his twink days. I remember. However, he, like many aging twinks, seemed to never fully develop into a man. He really is kind of femme and starting to look a little like a drag-king. I do admire him not going all Hollywood, but alas that has become his narrative and is becoming tiresome all the same. The recent VF article made me gag. I used to want to read Just Kids, but after this insufferable hatchet job of an interview, I no longer care to.

by Anonymousreply 3212/13/2010

on the VF cover he looks to have had plastic surgery: cheek implants, filler and a discrete eye-lift. I used to buy the "above all of the Hollywood bullshit", until I saw that cover. Sad, he's beginning to look like Joan Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 3312/13/2010

Never liked him. On River Phoenix's E True hollywood Story someone there that night said Johnny gave phoenix the drugs that killed him. Also Depp supports Roman Polanski. Hate the way he whines about his good looks when they are the only reason he is famous and he acts all above it all. Full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 3412/13/2010

I think he's had something done to his face. In "The Tourist", his face looks bloated and waxy.

by Anonymousreply 3512/13/2010

What a bunch of conformist twats. He'no "dirtier" than he was when DLers adored him. And however he looks there've never been any complaints about his scent--unlike Keanu who can clear a room.

There's nowhere on his body I wouldn't put my tongue.

by Anonymousreply 3612/13/2010

He was friends with Hunter S. Thompson and reveres him...makes me suspect of anyone who thinks HST was cool%0D %0D fool, tool yes but not cool%0D

by Anonymousreply 3712/13/2010

He was so beautiful when he was younger

by Anonymousreply 3812/13/2010

I want to see this VF interview

by Anonymousreply 3912/13/2010

Until this thread, I never quite realized how overexposed he's become. Ever since he became a supposed box-office draw, he's kept a high media profile, and I see that it's now annoying his fans. Perhaps he'd be happier doing interesting little indies and avoiding the press, but if that's what he really wanted he'd do it.%0D %0D He certainly doesn't need money at this point, but I suspect he likes having first crack at the top scripts, so he's doing what he needs to do to stay on the A-list. Frankly, I wish he'd find a better way to deal with the pressures of fame than by refusing to dress up for the famewhoring.

by Anonymousreply 4012/13/2010

[quote] on the VF cover he looks to have had plastic surgery: cheek implants, filler and a discrete eye-lift. %0D %0D Grandma? It's called PHOTOSHOP. They can digitize pictures nowadays!

by Anonymousreply 4112/13/2010

Yah, making an action romance film with Angelina Jolie is so edgy and arty.

by Anonymousreply 4212/13/2010

I always thought his ideal role would have been Pepito in Madeline and the Bad Hat.

by Anonymousreply 4312/13/2010

Johnny, Brad and Keanu have always thought they were too cool to shower. They are 46 and they are still grunge.

by Anonymousreply 4412/13/2010

r41, aka, "silly little shit", it's also called exactly what it is - PLASTIC SURGERY. What- you think Johnny Boy is too 'authentic' for surgery?

by Anonymousreply 4512/13/2010

I used to love him but making that movie with the skank WHOERELINA has forever ruined him for me!! That whore cunt has sucked all of the life out of him with her pus-filled hemmeroid lips and HE IS DEAD TO ME!!! That fucking bitch ruins everything she touches!!

by Anonymousreply 4612/13/2010

He hasn't had plastic surgery...that's YOU, dumbshit. Depp always been gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 4712/13/2010

You don't honestly thing the cover photos of Vogue and GQ show people as they actually appear, do you?%0D %0D Nobody can be that much of a rube.

by Anonymousreply 4812/13/2010

I forgot which late night talk show he was on recently but I was really distracted by whatever accent he seemed to have. What was up with that?

by Anonymousreply 4912/13/2010

I think he's hot despite the costumes and lack of talent. Tidy men are gross.

by Anonymousreply 5012/13/2010

Johnny has his own accent.

by Anonymousreply 5112/13/2010

R49, he slip slides between at least 4 different accents when on interview shows.%0D %0D I once saw Gillian Anderson do a Brit accent all the way through an interview. I think it was on Graham Norton's show.

by Anonymousreply 5212/13/2010

But didnt' Gillian Anderson at least spend the first 12 years of her life in England and live there now?

by Anonymousreply 5312/13/2010

Ummmm...I think Gillian is British. Actors live in so many places and work with so many Brits, it must be hard to keep your own accent. Besides, Johnny just got finished filming Pirates 4.

by Anonymousreply 5412/13/2010

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Official Trailer

by Anonymousreply 5512/13/2010

Like most men, he's not aging well.

by Anonymousreply 5612/13/2010

Depp is nice to the "little people."%0D %0D He had dinner with some friends of mine while he was in Wisconsin filming "Public Enemies." To a person, they all reported that he could not have been a nicer guy. He asked several questions about Dillinger and they said he was attentive and anxious to put them at ease, with no airs or arrogance.%0D %0D Still, he takes pains to look ridiculous; the Festus get-up on his Letterman apperance is exhibit "A" of that affectation.

by Anonymousreply 5712/13/2010

You said it, R56.

by Anonymousreply 5812/13/2010

[quote] Ummmm...I think Gillian is British%0D %0D Ummm... no she's not. She's from the midwest and attended college in NY and Chicago. She only lived in England for 6 years as a small child.

by Anonymousreply 5912/13/2010

He dresses badly to hide the outstanding beauty he has which has CURSED him his whole life in his pursuit to be taken SERIOUSLY!!

Bitch please. If Depp looked like the fat guy on Jump Street or the Asian guy he would have no career at all. He would be NO-ONE.

by Anonymousreply 6012/13/2010

Actually, the rubes in this thread are the guppies who think that having plastic surgery makes photoshopping unecessary. In fact, bad surgery requires photoshopping. Johnny Boy has had surgery, deal.

by Anonymousreply 6112/13/2010

He's weird and unwashed. I've liked some of his performances but find him completely uninteresting. In interviews he seems totally humorless and affected. %0D %0D Remember back in his teen idol "21 Jump Street" days? He was as fucked up as any other young guy who gets rich and famous quickly; party all the time, fuck lots of women. He was a serial "proposer", engaged to Sherilyn Fenn and Jennifer Grey and Winona Ryder. He took up with Ryder when she was 17; he was 25. They were supposedly the perfect rebel couple and they did have one thing in common; they both wanted everyone to know that they were very, very cool. Why they read "beat" literature like "Naked Lunch" and "On The Road!" Wow, that's so cool! Anyway he and Ryder were portrayed as a forever couple; in a Rolling Stone interview the interviewer said that Depp loved Ryder "profoundly" and he gushed "I love her more than anything in the world." Oh puke! He had "Winona Forever" tattooed on his arm, the idiot. The forever couple eventually ended, as most Hollywood relationships tend to do.%0D %0D Depp was with the cokehead Kate Moss for a while. He said she has a "high-water booty."%0D %0D It's fitting that Patti Smith interviewed him in the Rolling Stone; they're both hilariously pretentious and rub the reader's face in the fact that they're artists, ARTISTS I tell you!%0D %0D Depp has tried for years to make people take him more seriously, but he's just not that bright or interesting. He seems like a very dull, not that likeable person.

by Anonymousreply 6212/13/2010

It's pretty astounding just how dumb the guy comes across in his interviews. Pathetic, really. And then all his fans fall over themselves over-analyzing the banalities that come out of his mouth and misinterpreting them as the edgy commentary of a complex bohemian artiste. %0D %0D As for what's happened to him... Nothing. He's been the same unwashed, pretentious hipster all along. Nowadays he's just got no more looks left to hide behind.%0D %0D NP - I'm a Believer

by Anonymousreply 6312/13/2010

[quote]Yah, making an action romance film with Angelina Jolie is so edgy and arty. Not too mention Pirates of the Caribbean 1,2,3, and now 4...and the just announced 5 and 6.

by Anonymousreply 6412/13/2010

FYI: He's 52, not 47.

by Anonymousreply 6512/13/2010

Please, tell me you're just joking, R64. Please!

by Anonymousreply 6612/13/2010

How do you know, r65?

by Anonymousreply 6712/13/2010

"I hate him for effectively ending Vanessa Paradis' recording career."

Funny, I gave him a pass for the same reason.

by Anonymousreply 6812/13/2010

op, r19 is right.Depp has been greasy and unkempt looking for the full length of his career.You just never noticed before because he had youth and beauty on his side to distract from it.When you're young and gorgeous you can get away with looking like a slob.Once you're in the full swing of middle age you have to put a little effort in.Ethan Hawke is another one who needs to get this memo.

by Anonymousreply 6912/14/2010

HaHa! Make fun of me all you want,Peeps! But this unwashed, unkempt, talentless person is bringing in more bucks than ALL of you put together!%0D %0D Pedestrians!!

by Anonymousreply 7012/14/2010

Whatever, he's gorgeous. Compare Keanu Reeves to Johnny. Reeves is gorgeous but he sports the Ted Kazinski look. Probably because he's nuts.

by Anonymousreply 7112/14/2010

Those guys who like the big muscles, can't see Johnny's sexiness.

by Anonymousreply 7212/14/2010

I really thought he was 47. Why would you think he is older?

by Anonymousreply 7312/14/2010

IMDB says he got 50,000,000 for Alice.

by Anonymousreply 7412/14/2010

He and Tim Burton are going to make a mess of the Dark Shadows movie. If they cast that cow helena bonham carter as angelique it will be a total disaster.

by Anonymousreply 7512/14/2010

I heart R17 ! That was funny !

by Anonymousreply 7612/14/2010

He's getting chunky.

by Anonymousreply 7712/14/2010

What happened with him and Winona? How long did they date for ? He dated Kate Moss for a while too right?

by Anonymousreply 7812/15/2010

Here is a young Johnny Depp interview

He looked clean,normal with no weird accent..

by Anonymousreply 7912/15/2010

He had the kind of good looks that don't age well. See also Leo DiCaprio and, if he had lived, River Phoenix. There is a feminine quality to their bone structure that doesn't work due to the natural aging process. I'd contrast that to someone like Ben Affleck or Matt Dillon who have more "square" features and are aging quite well, IMO. If you'd make a pretty girl at 21, you're going to be a mess at 45. That and massive alcohol and heroin abuse.

by Anonymousreply 8012/15/2010

He looks like The Tree Man, Dede Koswara. And by stating this I'm admitting I find The Tree Man kinda hot.

by Anonymousreply 8112/15/2010

[quote] "I know he thinks he's super cool, etc.., but how much longer can he play this shtick before everyone tires of it?"

Hopefully, not too much longer. He's a C-List actor who essentially hooked up with ONE quirky director and his "look" is SOOOOOO contrived.

by Anonymousreply 8212/15/2010

For many years he's looked like someone who would sneak in from the dark and steal your baby and spirit it away in a gypsy cart, never to be seen again.

by Anonymousreply 8312/15/2010

Actually Johnny is a very talented actor and many people like his looks...so, he is an A list actor. Sorry, jealous dudes.

by Anonymousreply 8412/15/2010

r83. I'm STILL laughing at your descriptive post!

by Anonymousreply 8512/15/2010

21 Jump Street was such a ridiculous show - they went undercover as high school students even though they all looked like they were in their late 20s. How did that shitfest stay on the air for so long?

by Anonymousreply 8612/15/2010

I thought you were exaggerating about Depp. He looks fucking retarded. And is the director a giant or what?

by Anonymousreply 8812/15/2010

I love Johnny but not like I used to, his movies are no longer edgy and he needs to break away from Burton. He was known for "out there" roles, now, not anymore.

Someone said on another thread that Franco was trying to be the next Brando. I think Franco is better suited to be the next Depp. Quirky roles, an unabashed openmindedness, move over Johnny, James has arrived.

by Anonymousreply 8912/15/2010

jezus, franco is a perpetually grinning hyena.

by Anonymousreply 9012/15/2010

Finally!! Johnny Depp finally looking decent, and wearing decent, attractive, stylish clothing.%0D %0D as of today.....

by Anonymousreply 9112/15/2010

btw, "I'm a Believer" was written by Neil Diamond.

I don't need a rocker or actor/actress to 'approve' of what I like to enjoy re pop culture.

I blame fans for ALLOWING these celebrities to form their tastes and/or opinions!

No one is forcing you to enjoy certain things because celebrities are endorsing whatever books or music. Jeez, get a life!

As for Johnny Depp, why all the negativity here, the man can act. Who cares if he stinks, I can not smell him through the movie or TV screen!

by Anonymousreply 9212/15/2010

His age caught up with him. His hair has been transplanted and dyed. He's not a teenager anymore. He tries to look like one, not working his look anymore

by Anonymousreply 9312/15/2010

I'm watching 21 Jump Street on Netflix. Really bad show. Bad acting. Bad dialogue. Bad Johnny.

by Anonymousreply 9412/22/2010

What I don't understand is why Depp has never tried to parlay his box office clout into actually making a decent movie a la George Clooney: "I'll do Oceans 13 if you let me make Syriana"

He's played ever stupid fucking role from the Mad Hatter to Rango - and why? Just to show how stupid acting is and how much money he can rake in and then shun the Hollywood Establishment?

Honestly, does he even have a thought in his head or wish to accomplish something more meaningful with all of his money and fame?

by Anonymousreply 9505/09/2011

When you're young and handsome you can drink a lot and do a lot of drugs and it won;t show as much on your face. But inevitably it takes a terrible toll on your looks, so when you're in your 40s you're not as handsome as you once were.

by Anonymousreply 9605/09/2011

[quote]Now, he's just this greasy, grimy mess %0D %0D Depp has never been anything but a greasy, grimy mess.

by Anonymousreply 9705/09/2011

I have never thought he was attractive or sexy, even though I understand that lots of people do/did. But he looked so awful in "The Tourist," I can't imagine why he wasn't somehow CGI'd to make him look less ugly, like Sarah Jessica Parker in that movie with McBongo.

SPOILER

And to have it be a plot device that he had plastic surgery to look like that was fucking laughable. Who would have cosmetic surgery to make themselves fat and ugly?

by Anonymousreply 9805/09/2011

He's had some bad plastic surgery.%0D %0D I guess the facial hair helps cover up pulled, waxy looking skin. Do tinted glasses do that too? Besides Depp and Rourke, Robert Downey was wearing them.

by Anonymousreply 9905/09/2011

I think he looks pretty good here.

by Anonymousreply 10005/09/2011

He does't have the silly long hair in that pic. But it looks like his toupee is about to slide off his head.

by Anonymousreply 10105/09/2011

All that red wine is catching up to him, and I ought to know how much red wine can bloat your face!%0D %0D I wonder if he's gained a lot of weight as well? Those baggy clothes are meant to hide something.

by Anonymousreply 10205/09/2011

He kinda reminds me of Yoko Ono.

by Anonymousreply 10305/12/2011

He must have gained 20 LBS for the Tourist. Not sure why? I know he was supposed to be kind of shlumpy but it made no sense that Jolie would be attracted to him.

by Anonymousreply 10405/17/2011

OP he moved to France -everybody knows they don't bathe - and then he got married to that horrible-looking Vanessa Paradis. End of story

by Anonymousreply 10505/17/2011

I just had to resurrect this thread (because I'm too cheap to pay the $18). Depp is on Graham Norton right now. He's giving Madonna a run for her money with his accent because it's not even quite British. It's... European? I really don't know how to describe it, but it's so over the top.

by Anonymousreply 10611/12/2011

R106 Ricky Gervais is just trying so hard to not laugh at Johnny Depp's new accent and yet look interested in the crap he is speaking of all at the same time. I think he might have a mini stroke!

Poor Ricky!

Oh my gosh. What accent is it?

by Anonymousreply 10711/12/2011

I was thinking the same thing about Gervais as he was listening to Depp. This is precisely the type of thing Gervais made his living mocking.

by Anonymousreply 10811/12/2011

Depp was always beautiful and sexy. Some of you think the bland body builders with the super white teeth and super groomed bodies are sexy, I beg to disagree.

by Anonymousreply 10911/12/2011

"Nice"? He used to trash hotel rooms and reportedly beat his girlfriend at the time.

by Anonymousreply 11011/13/2011

He needs to stop giving interviews - he's terrible at them - maintain some mystery - he comes across as a tool -

by Anonymousreply 11111/13/2011

What has he done to his face? He's all smooth and waxy, and his expression is missing something. Fatal mistake on his part.

by Anonymousreply 11211/13/2011

He a total sellout. Doing shit movies like pirates of the caribbean 1 thru 126 and the tourist. Rum diary looks bland too. In the 90s he had this rebel fuck you hollywood kind of attitude. Not anymore. Just another cookie cutter stupid actor ruled by money not the craft.

by Anonymousreply 11311/13/2011

Off topic, but reading through this thread, I saw a post by Della. Does she still post here? I can't recall reading anything by her for months.

Della, if you're around, hope all is well!

by Anonymousreply 11411/13/2011

He's always been greasy looking, always been a bad actor, and always been ridiculously overrated.

The one good thing he ever did was Gilbert Grape -- and the same goes for Leonardo diCaprio only diCaprio is not so much greasy as a glutenous mass of boiled potato.

by Anonymousreply 11511/13/2011

The final nail in the coffin of my Depp fandom was the way he referred to that hack Nick Tosches as "my brother" in that tedious Vanity Fair interview. Tosches is the worst tough guy wannabe out there. For a good laugh, check out the Amazon reviews for his Sonny Liston book. Tosches spends as much time talking about himself as he does Liston.

I also find Depp's veneration of Hunter Thompson laughable. HST never wrote anything worthwhile after "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72" and spent the last 30 years of his life a parody of himself. Depp is a sucker for all the stereotypical bad-boy stuff like Thompson and Bukowski. He has no taste; he's just trying to project an image.

Bruce Robinson, on the other hand, is a good writer, if inconsistent. It's just too bad he felt obliged to resurrect the insignificant Rum Diary.

by Anonymousreply 11611/13/2011

"The one good thing he ever did was Gilbert Grape"

"Ed Wood" is also an excellent movie, and Depp is wierdly brilliant in it.

by Anonymousreply 11711/13/2011

For those who haven't seen the Graham Norton show and are curious to hear Depp's accent:

by Anonymousreply 11911/13/2011

No one has to agree with me, R118, though I think my comment is more entertaining and substantial than the hackneyed drivel you menstruated above.

by Anonymousreply 12011/13/2011

His getups and greasy hair is how he deals with aging. He isn't a handsome young guy anymore, so he disguises his looks with distractions like greasy hair and beard, kohl underliner, etc.

by Anonymousreply 12111/13/2011

I will always love him as an actor, but he lost me as a human being when he started about complaining about having to pay taxes. Greedy bastard.

by Anonymousreply 12211/13/2011

France happened OP. France.

by Anonymousreply 12411/13/2011

What happened his that his audience grew older and less easily impressed.

What happened is he aged and losing his looks made people less likely to overlook his mediocre acting skills.

by Anonymousreply 12511/13/2011

For fuck sake, he lives on a different continent...he is now allowed to think for himself and get away from the sheep.

At least the West Memphis Three were finally released.

by Anonymousreply 12611/13/2011

Is it true he's balding?

by Anonymousreply 12711/13/2011

I think he has a bald patch on the crown of his head.

by Anonymousreply 12811/13/2011

Wouldn't shock me at all if he were balding. Take a look at the guys you know from work or family that are in their 30s and 40s. Probably more than half of them are balding or have receding hairlines. Then look at H'wood, where the figure probably drops to about 10%. Gives you some idea of how many H'wood men are wigging out.

by Anonymousreply 12911/13/2011

I was flipping through John Water's "Role Models" today while browsing in a bookstore. The chapter on Leslie Van Houten (Waters supports her and thinks she ought to be let out of prison) mentioned Johnny Depp.

Seems Waters told Depp (Depp starred in the lame "Cry Baby") about Leslie and her plight and Depp wanted to go VISIT HER. Yep, he wanted to go visit a member of the Manson family who gleefully took part in the torture and murder of two innocent people.

I imagine if he had visited her he would have been taken with her "charm" and lobbied to have her released. But alas, the meeting never took place. Depp filled out a visitor's form but was rejected because he had an assault charge against him at the time (Depp was quite the Hollywood Badboy, trashing hotel rooms, getting pissed at photographers, etc.).

Johnny Depp is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 13011/13/2011

That Guardian interview:

[quote]What? Hang on a minute; why did he leave France? He makes a sour noise, part grunt, part hurrumph. "Cos France wanted a piece of me. They wanted me to become a permanent resident. Permanent residency status – which changes everything. They just want," and he mimes peeling off notes in his palm. "Dough. Money."

[quote]If Depp spends more than 183 days in France, he explains indignantly, he'd have to start paying income tax. "I'm certainly not ready to give up my American citizenship. You don't have to give up your American citizenship," he adds sarcastically, but then he'd have to pay tax in both countries, "so you essentially work for free."

He makes it sound like he would be double taxed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since French taxes are higher, wouldn't the IRS credit him whatever he'd pay in France as a full-time resident and he wouldn't owe anything in the US that year? I think the US and France have some sort of tax treaty.

by Anonymousreply 13111/13/2011

[quote]He makes it sound like he would be double taxed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since French taxes are higher, wouldn't the IRS credit him whatever he'd pay in France as a full-time resident and he wouldn't owe anything in the US that year?

A limited amount of income is exempted from double taxation. In 2009, it was $91,400. There's also a foreign tax credit. I have no idea what it really means for someone who makes as much money as he does. I think we need to page the taxtroll.

by Anonymousreply 13211/13/2011

Love Depp but do wonder about his missing partner from the Viper Room.

by Anonymousreply 13311/13/2011

He's also 50ish. A little too old for this charade.

by Anonymousreply 13411/13/2011

Heroin and lots of booze?

by Anonymousreply 13511/13/2011

R133, it does sound like some weird stuff went on there. I wonder if that is why Depp left for France like his ass was on fire.

by Anonymousreply 13611/14/2011

He sure did.

by Anonymousreply 13711/14/2011

I watched that interview too and he seemed absolutely humorless.

He was a good sport about letting the lady get a picture of him even though he implied she was lying about his story.

Most Americans perform poorly on that show. It seems they only know how to plug their recent project and have no personality otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 13811/14/2011

Really? What happened? Depp was contemptuous in the press about Nightmare on Elmstreet and to anyone who would listen about 21 Jump Street. He's always been a pretentious bore.

by Anonymousreply 13911/14/2011

OP was sexy at one time? I don't believe it. OP must prove it.

by Anonymousreply 14011/14/2011

I mean Depp was sexy at one time? Never happened! He was a pizza boy-hustler who got his client Nick Cage to put him in pictures. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 14111/14/2011

Depp will always be sexy. He's still beautiful. Freepers don't like him but that's nothing new.

by Anonymousreply 14211/14/2011

He turned French OP. You know how their hygiene is.

by Anonymousreply 14411/14/2011

I just watched the Norton segment. His accent was jumping all over the place, but I think it was less an affectation than just being influenced by the other people's accents. But he was awkward and weird keeping his mouth so tightly pinched.

by Anonymousreply 14511/19/2011

He's menopausal, is all.

by Anonymousreply 14611/19/2011

Johnny was never really comfortable in the spot light. He isn't glib and suave, like George, Matt and Jake.

by Anonymousreply 14711/19/2011

Gawker today says he was spotted emerging (24 hours after arrival) from Ashley Olsen's apartment (via building next door) in February. Is she his new waif per midlife crisis? Or the convenient new drug buddy since Vanessa put her foot down? For the hopelessly romantic and into pretentious fashion, JD and AO each won the CDFA best dressed awards and are both Geminis.

by Anonymousreply 14803/21/2012

r148 where did ya read that?

by Anonymousreply 14903/21/2012

I agree with R7. I always thought he was greasy, gross and ugly. UGH. And a bad actor too.

by Anonymousreply 15003/21/2012

I didn't understand the hotness of Depp, so I never paid any attention to him. It wasn't until PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN that he actively annoyed me. But I hate that whole cast. Don't get me started on Kiera Knightley...

by Anonymousreply 15103/21/2012

Johnny Depp is being himself,he is the best actor out there hands down.please, You bitches are jealous coz he gets attention without trying to. If he is an attention whore,then why the fuck doesnt he have a twitter or facebook account? He only comes out of the public when he has to make a movie and shit. Just jealous coz he can get all the pussies left and right,and your asses are stuck behind the computer screen. He only looks dirty because of th ebracelets and necklaces that he wears,and his beard...but at least he is being himself.

by Anonymousreply 15202/14/2013

He's vile. He needs to good bath.

by Anonymousreply 15302/14/2013

Immensely overrated, though I almost felt sorry for this sad spectacle.

At The Grammy's...do-rags and bandanas and fandangos and gee-gaws aplenty. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 15402/14/2013

[quote]Uh oh, our first rabid Depp FanGurl has appeared

Uh, oh a Datalounge asshole who can't understand posts & thinks he understands more than he does. You DON'T see much of the guy in his private life like Brad Pitt. Maybe he more public in the 90s?

by Anonymousreply 15502/14/2013

He looks like his pussy stinks!

by Anonymousreply 15602/14/2013

He turns 50 this year - whatever remaining looks he has will decline rapidly soon.

by Anonymousreply 15702/14/2013

Why can't he appear in a movie without black kohl around his eyes?

by Anonymousreply 15802/14/2013

R152 is too fucking stupid to know she's fighting with someone from a year ago, who might not even be on DL anymore.

by Anonymousreply 15902/14/2013

I have to disagree. Might be seeing a photo of him at my cousins house in Tx or knowing that we lived a mile from one another and our parents had retail businesses in the same shopping center or just my attraction to his charming ferrel qualities but I'm partial to him, his look and hope he doesn't change a thing.

by Anonymousreply 16002/22/2013

Will someone tell him he's 50, not 25 and needs to stop with the hipster look? It looks stupid. Same for Brad Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 16102/22/2013

Oh, yeah I am partial to him too and wonder sometimes if he is not playing the biggest joke on everyone.

Johnny Depp is very subversive, not for only his Tim Burton macabres, and his anti-glamour look. He is dead handsome and his trashing of is to be more expected in a younger actor.

When a young girl or guy, dyes their hair green, tattoos and pierces everything it can be viewed as personal expression with some rebellion against the norm. Did some myself.

But I think Johnny Depp is not a hipster at all, more a kind of emotionally diseased and dark guy. Not romantic dark, just dark. I bet that his private actions make his syphilitic screen portrayals pale. I am guessing that he is very bad news. His affected way of speaking, the horrible robin williams meets madonna ennui trash talking with a Lewis Carol twist gives me the creeps. Like he has his own coven somewhere. Just because he looks dirty does not make him down to earth. I think he is hiding in plain sight publicly, though he hides elsewhere most of the time.

Al Pacino is a greater actor and lifelong weirdo too and Brando tops them both. Depp has a history of the darkest things, heroin and women beating.

His is not an attitude of angry anarchy, like Joaquin Phoenix or the petulant rage of Sean Penn. Depp is more a dark force of De Sade, The Ripper, pedophiliac Willy Wonka, Captain Jack with the rock and roll entitlement, and of course all the drugster hipsters and bad guys that he plays with twee and glee avoiding their true ugliness and destruction. I guess I think he might be evil.

The sensitive long haired pretty boy gave way to the insulated and privileged freak. He owns an island, and comes out to act and shows up at award shows like a dark presence. He has no irony. It is more sociopath. He had no chemistry with Angelina Jolie because darkness blots blackness.

I used to love his work and he had a beautiful face, but I think he is a bad deal.

Secrets I would not want to know....

by Anonymousreply 16202/22/2013

Well, r162, I suspect Johnny Depp would be either amused or frightened at all you're reading into his personality!

by Anonymousreply 16302/22/2013

I really thought he was sexy in his early-mid twenties. Beginning in the late 1990's, he began to look smelly and unbathed. Around ten years ago, he started wearing his "Pirates..." make-up in all of his personal appearances. Last night on Letterman he looked ghastly. I wanted to pull a firehose into that studio and douse him with it. I guarantee that the people on the backrow of the audience could smell his B.O. --- I could almost smell it through my TV screen. His hair was filthy. He was wearing more make-up than a French whore. Nasty!

by Anonymousreply 16402/22/2013

Actually, [162] you are spot on!

by Anonymousreply 16502/22/2013

I always thought the guy was grumpy, humorless, boring, try hard and not talented. If this is still considered sexy, the world is in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 16612/08/2013

R162

I never understood the fascination with him. He is humorless, has no wit, doesn't sound very bright and has little talent as an actor.

I bet there are lots of really dark and creepy things happened in his life. He has a disturbing interest in criminals; Polanski, The West Memphis Three, John Wayne Gacy, Charles Manson Gang. He likes to date Lolita women and has a huge alcohol and drug problem, also anger management issues.

The story of Anthony Fox, his former business partner from The Viper Room, who disappeared before he was to testify against Depp in court on charges of fraud is alarming as hell.

by Anonymousreply 16701/27/2014

He hit the wall right after Sweeney Todd, and hard. He's always been pretentious, with the literary taste of a 16 year old with a bad case of fuck you Dad, but he had a certain beauty and rakish charm. I enjoyed him in stuff like The Libertine, bad accent and all. After Sweeney it's like karma came knocking and everything appealing about him got sucked out all at once. I've never seen anyone lose appeal overnight like that.

by Anonymousreply 16801/27/2014

Simple answer is mid-life crisis, it must have hit him hard, he is still a good-looking guy for his age, just not the Adonis of 90s

by Anonymousreply 16901/28/2014

I forgot where I was...

by Anonymousreply 17004/16/2014

OP is right. He always looks like he needs a bath.

by Anonymousreply 17104/16/2014
Need more help? Click Here.