Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Whole Foods versus Trader Joes

Do you go to one more than the other? I find Trader Joes kind of disorganized, so I prefer Whole Foods. However, I have friends who swear by Trader Joes, but I just don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 10907/30/2013

Whole Foods carries much better quality items but their CEO is a libertarian moron. Otherwise, there would be no contest.

by Anonymousreply 112/13/2010

Whole Foods is way overpriced compared to TJ's.

by Anonymousreply 312/13/2010

I find Trader Joe's to be much less pretentious and so a more comfortable shopping experience, but I live a two minute walk from a Whole Foods and the closest Trader Joe's is a fifteen minute walk away.

by Anonymousreply 412/13/2010

Whole Foods makes me want to smack people. I think it is the customers, the prices and the lines. If I am cold, I will tour the place to get warm and then leave, but I do not spend my money there.

You have to go to the right Trader Joes. Some are awful (14th street) and some are much better. You just have to learn what to buy (what is good and/or cheap).

Sadly, I have turned into my mother and now shop at several stores because each sells certain things. I guess I cannot make fun of her anymore.

by Anonymousreply 512/13/2010

Whole Foods if too expensive, it's for Whole Fools.

by Anonymousreply 612/13/2010

I call it Whole Paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 712/13/2010

Listen folks. You are what you eat. I love Whole Foods because everything is fresh and usually local. The animals are treated humanely, and the produce is not doused in pesticides.

It costs a shitload of money to shop there, but my husband and I feel that food is too important to skimp on if possible.

The Trader Joes that I have been to simply do not have the same variety of a Whole Foods Market.

by Anonymousreply 812/13/2010

Whole Foods has much better food, especially produce.

Yes, it's too expensive, but it is good.

Trader Joes is only good for things that aren't fresh. And most of their food is loaded with sodium and fat.

by Anonymousreply 912/13/2010

I go to both for different reasons. TJ's has far better prices. Whole Foods has the delicious hot food bar, plus it's across the street from my apartment. TJ's is about a mile down the road. I'll usually go to Von's, Ralph's or Gelson's if I need a commercial brand for some reason, like shaving cream, or just for something that I couldn't get at TJ's or Whole Foods.

For instance, I'm making tiramisu, and Whole Foods didn't have any ladyfingers, so I'll have to go try Von's.

by Anonymousreply 1012/13/2010

Went into a Trader Joe's last week for the very first time. Do not ever intend to return.%0D %0D Whole Foods all the way for me.

by Anonymousreply 1112/13/2010

R7: bingo! There is a reason why Trader Joe's is cheaper. A lot of their stuff (seafood, in particular) is low quality food that comes from places with really bad farming practices.

by Anonymousreply 1212/13/2010

I love R2. %0D %0D The clientele at Whole Foods is totally insufferable but I force myself to brave the toxic levels of pretension and suburban soccer mom entitlement because WF is the only local supplier for my Dr. Hauschka skincare addiction.

by Anonymousreply 1312/13/2010

I do like Asshole Foods' pizzas, both frozen and food-bar, but I do want to slap a bitch every time I go in there.

Of course, I want to slap a bitch at Albertson's and Winn Dixie, too.

by Anonymousreply 1412/13/2010

Trader Joe's saves money by packaging all their produce as "units" in a central location and shipping it on trucks -- hence the ridiculousness of a plastic sleeve of bell peppers, or citrus fruit on a tray wrapped in cello.

I like their Greek yogurt, their flowers, their 99-cent greeting cards, and their inexpensive wine selection (the couple of times I really hated a bottle, I brought it back and they refunded my money, no hassle).

But I think their biggest selling point is how pleasant the staff is. They're highly paid, and it shows... plus the company philosophy seems to be to hire primarily for helpfulness and personality. Overall Whole Foods has a better selection of everything, but most of the employees leave me cold.

by Anonymousreply 1512/13/2010

R5, I agree that the customers at Whole Foods can be off-putting -- also some/most of the staff.

I find much nicer people at the discount grocery stores on the wrong side of the tracks. The staff (none of whom are white or pierced) are always warm & friendly to everyone, & most of the customers are the same. These customers routinely let shoppers with only a couple of items go ahead -- I've never seen that happen at WF unless I was the one doing it.

by Anonymousreply 1612/13/2010

whole foods is a scam. Do not EVER buy their 365 products. Why? Well for one, some of the 365 organic frozen vegetables are from CHINA!!!! How the fuck is that possible? I would rather eat conventional agriculture from the US. %0D %0D I also no longer buy silk soymilk because the soybeans are imported from china. I stick to organic valley.

by Anonymousreply 1712/13/2010

TJ's is for weekday meals(cheap and reasonably good), Whole Foods for weekend (pricey but better quality). Neither one is a shining star of political or ecological virtue.%0D %0D Anyone like Fresh & Easy? I really liked it when I visited L.A. and found it Trader Joes-ish but with more selection. I understand their Parent (Tesco from the UK) is losing a fortune on them and are shutting some down so I doubt it will ever make it to the east coast.

by Anonymousreply 1812/13/2010

People like R8 pretty much sum up the Whole Foods mentality.

by Anonymousreply 1912/13/2010

I don't know why I don't like Whole Foods. Yes, it's expensive but I shop at Bristol Farms and they're not cheap but I don't resent BF the way I do WF.

I guess it's partly their asshole CEO. It's partly their unhelpful employees. The one nearest me -- Fairfax and SM in WeHo -- is IMPOSSIBLE to park at; that lot is always full.

Trader Joe's -- I just have warm fuzzy feelings about. I like their employees better. I like their locations. I have certain TJ's products -- oils, vinegars, cereals, nuts, dried fruits, pasta, frozen dumplings, PB -- that are always in my house.

by Anonymousreply 2012/13/2010

I shop mostly at TJ's. WF and BF are far too expensive and pretentious. For produce, if TJ's does not have what I need, I'll go a local produce market or the weekly Framer Market in my neighborhood. %0D %0D I love the customer service at TJ's. Heads and shoulders above my local Albertson's and Ralph's. Actually, I had forgotten the value of good customer service until I started doing most of my shopping at TJ's. For example, recently I asked the "Captain" if they were out of the Applewood Soked Bacon because the shelf was empty. He checked the back and came out with a box to restock the shelf, handed me a package and gave it to me free. Albertson's would never do anything like that.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2112/13/2010

I love the Bristol Farms experience.

by Anonymousreply 2212/13/2010

[quote]I love the Bristol Farms experience.

Me too.

by Anonymousreply 2312/13/2010

[quote]everything is fresh and usually local. The animals are treated humanely, and the produce is not doused in pesticides.

Whole Foods does sell organic, local and healthy OPTIONS, but much of what's for sale there is exactly what you would get in any supermarket at greatly inflated prices.

They make a lot of money manufacturing the illusion that the food you buy there is healthier, more humane and better than the food from another supermarket, when often they are one and the same.

by Anonymousreply 2412/13/2010

I live in an epicenter of Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Eataly. Yes, I'm a Chelsea queen. I go to all three, depending on my mood, what I'm looking for, how much I want to pay, and where I happen to be in the course of my day.

I usually go to Whole Foods but that's because it's the closest.

Avoid Trader Joe's on 14th Street like the plague. It's the most crowdest place on earth. But the one on 6th is fine and the one in Brooklyn is great.

by Anonymousreply 2512/13/2010

>> I force myself to brave the toxic levels of pretension and suburban soccer mom entitlement because WF is the only local supplier for my Dr. Hauschka skincare addiction%0D %0D %0D %0D I live in Atlanta and my Whole Foods is not so much soccer moms, we have them, it's more the hipster/muslim / Kosher

by Anonymousreply 2612/13/2010

I go to Trader Joe's for basics like dairy, nut products, cheap wine, frozen organic vegetables. It's cheaper than Whole Foods, and the quality of those items is good. Also, I like that so many lesbians work in my local TJ's. %0D %0D Whole Foods is just too expensive. These days I get safflower oil items there because no other stores carry them, and a few types of supplements. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 2712/13/2010

Fairway beats them all.

by Anonymousreply 2812/13/2010

[quote] Anyone like Fresh & Easy?

I don't like that Fresh & Easy employs no cashiers. And their selection is also much smaller than most other supermarkets. As far as fruits & veggies, they only carry bagged or in plastic cartons.

by Anonymousreply 2912/13/2010

[quote]Fresh & Easy

That was my nickname in college.

by Anonymousreply 3012/13/2010

I have a couple of excellent supermarkets and a very good locally owned health food store in my area where I can get all my Whole Foodsy type products.%0D %0D I used to get my hair cut in a strip mall where there was a Trader Joes. I got in the habit of buying almond and cashew butter there because it's really cheap. I wouldn't buy serious groceries there, though.

by Anonymousreply 3112/13/2010

I'm curious why anyone cares about the other shoppers. I look at the food, not the people. Personally, I try and buy organic non-processed foods whenever I can and I don't GAS about the clientele or the staff. I'm going to put the stuff in my body. That's why I am picky about what I eat and ignore the surroundings.

My prediction is that before too long measuring the chemicals in the blood will be part of a regular checkup. I find it scary all the shit that is added to foods these days. If you don't know what it is and what the side effects are, why would you ingest it?

Read up on farmed fish. They are fed chicken shit and sawdust. And then you'd eat it? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 3212/13/2010

um excuse me....Whole Foods sells Organic Frozen Vegetables that are from China???? WTF!!! how the hell can anything there be organic if 90% of their surface water non potable, industrial chemicals fall from the sky, and they have no quality assurance system for product or food safety!!!!%0D %0D Meanwhile Whole Foods is charging me more to buy that shit. Screw the bastards...

by Anonymousreply 3312/13/2010

R33 is that real of urban legend started by some farm co-op?

by Anonymousreply 3412/13/2010

Grocery Outlet!

by Anonymousreply 3512/13/2010

ask them

by Anonymousreply 3612/13/2010

I get my veggies from the local farmer's market. Whole Foods is good for organic chicken. I also like their cheeses. I get my beef from a local ranch that doesn't give the cattle any antibiotics, growth hormones or anything else. He lets the sick ones die off, making for a stronger herd. They eat native grasses and he doesn't finish them off with grain. It took some research at first, but then it is just an easy routine to shop for the fresh local stuff. And, god, and the meat is just delicious. It melts in your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 3712/13/2010

Jesus. I don't know where you all live but in my town the people working @ Whole Foods are some of the nicest and most knowledgeable anywhere.

I wince at the prices of an apple, but I's rather pay more to get an apple that tastes like an apple should rather than one that taste like raw potatoes. I like tomaotes that are juicy and sweet, not hard, white and - again like a raw potatoe inside. I like seafood that is fresh and good. etc.

Half this country is living in food deserts the other half is eating food that only gives them a percentage of nutrients they think they're getting. It's a fucking crime.

I'm willing to pay more because I want to have a working body when I'm in my 60s.

We're getting a Trader Joes soon and I'm eager to compare the prices, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3812/13/2010

I work for Whole Foods.

Yes some of the frozen vegetables are from China. Most are from the States but some are from China. It says so on the packages, just look. I don't buy the China products and the staff doesn't like them and have campaigned to get rid of them.

As for the asshole CEO, John Mackay, last year before his unfortunate mouthing off on health care he was the CEO and the Chairman of the Board. Six months later they kicked him off as Chairman. Six months after that they hired a co-CEO to work with him. This was all tactfully downplayed in the press. He'll be gone before 2011 is over.

These things must be handled delicately!

I'm plenty happy working for WFs. I'm paid decently, I have awesome benefits and I eat very well most of the time for free.

by Anonymousreply 3912/13/2010

Do you get an employee discount r39?

by Anonymousreply 4012/13/2010

Yes, I get a 27% discount because of my good health. Every year they test our blood sugar, blood pressure, body mass index and cholesterol. 30% for the highest rating, then 27, then 25, then 20 for anyone else who opts out or who doesn't qualify for the special good health discount.

I give a lot of food presents at Christmas and on birthdays.

Plus we get the first shot at discontinued products. I once bought a case of very nice expensive Italian marinara sauces for 80 cents a bottle. My store is one of the smallest in the chain so any product that doesn't move fast enough gets discontinued.

When they label change they haul the old stuff up to the break room and we descend on it. For free!

by Anonymousreply 4112/13/2010

[quote]I don't buy the China products and the staff doesn't like them and have campaigned to get rid of them.

That's why I like TJ's -- you don't have to read the packages. It's nice to go into a store and just relax & shop. It's nice to trust your food provider.

I've had so many bad experiences with WF employees. I hate asking them a question. Why are they there if not to help customers?

Have you ever noticed that the lanes aren't numbered at WF? How stupid is that. They can't tell you to look on "aisle six." They have to tell you to look for dried beans on the corner and then turn left between the pancake mix and cereal.

by Anonymousreply 4212/13/2010

Faced with a choice between the two, Whole Foods would always win out: a triumph of hipsters over old hippies, I suppose. %0D %0D Trader Joe's stores are poorly organized, often badly lit and poorly maintained, have a much narrower selection all around, often have sad looking produce, require a lot of experimentation to find a good product from among some odd brands, and never fill the whole bill of a shopping trip. More than anything, it's for me a much inferior selection.

by Anonymousreply 4312/13/2010

For gullible R42:

by Anonymousreply 4412/13/2010

And more:

by Anonymousreply 4512/13/2010

I live around the corner from the very first TJ's and it's ALWAYS filled entitled housecows with their trolls. Of course all the do is block people with their carts or strollers.

by Anonymousreply 4612/13/2010

Where is the very first TJ's, R46? It's not the old Santa Monica location in WeHo, is it?

by Anonymousreply 4712/13/2010

The sales people at Whole Foods are always pleasant and knowledgeable. I just avoid the really busy times. I wasn't impressed the times I've been to Trader Joe's. Got more of an attitude there from the sales help than at Whole Foods, the whole "aren't we special" vibe.%0D %0D Plus the Whole Foods store has the most diverse staff I've ever seen anywhere. It's like a mini-United Nations, plus some of the yoga/yogurt guys are hot. There's also a good diversity of ages.

by Anonymousreply 4812/13/2010

[quote]Grocery Outlet!%0D %0D I loved going to this place when I lived in good old Reno, Nevada. It really was an adventure and you'd never no what you would find. Store brand products from stores on the other side of the country, Pringles cans with Arabic labels, Halloween-themed cereal in the middle of May. Crazy flavors of food that had obviously flopped and were being unloaded for cheap by the manufacturer. And their wine department full of strange vintages for 1.99 a bottle. I got a knock-off six pack of Zima for .99 (OK - It was the 90s and I was poor and desperate). Nothing like that on the east coast.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4912/13/2010

[quote]The animals are treated humanely, and the produce is not doused in pesticides.

Are you gullible or just dumber than dirt?

Seriously...their 'grass fed' beef is grass fed for a very short time before it hits the feed lots and dies like every other cow.

Most of their produce is 'conventional' which means doused in chemicals.

They lie every chance they get and create an illusion of fresh and local, go to a farm market for real fresh and local you deluded fuck.

by Anonymousreply 5012/13/2010

I've heard that if you want organic, by food from California. Their organic has to be certified. Might just be BS.

by Anonymousreply 5112/13/2010

R51 can I buy it instead?

by Anonymousreply 5212/13/2010

You can trust TJ's?

Check their packages. They source from Asia. Their produce is shit. Awesome cheese selection though. And they have a chocolate pudding to die for.

As for bad WF employees. They have problem stores. The one they opened in Santa Barbara is a disaster. The staff, including the Team Leaders didn't get the concept. They grossly over estimated their sales projections and had to dismiss half the staff after several months of opening. They have sent in trouble shooters. They have store team leaders who just move around from store to store retraining and weeding out staff who don't get the customer service concept.

The aisles aren't numbered because the staff member is supposed to walk you over to the item you've asked about.

My store, though very small, is a regional winner. This is because it was one of the original stores, actually the original Wellspring store, that was bought out because WF wanted to go into prepared foods and hot bar and salad bar business and this store became the business model. Each major department was created by buying out a small chain which excelled at something, grocery or meat, seafood etc. By buying the small chain, WF got their vendor info and their staff and then they used that model in all their other stores. Now they just buy out competition.

We have secret shoppers and are rewarded for excellent service with gift card rewards. My store, because it was one of the original stores, really knows how to play this game, we have excellent training and make sure our each of staff knows the layout of our store so we can help the customer more. It really helps that we have a smaller store. That's why we do so well with the secret shoppers. The larger stores really can't keep up with that issue.

by Anonymousreply 5312/13/2010

[quote]The aisles aren't numbered because the staff member is supposed to walk you over to the item you've asked about.

This NEVER happens to me. They always say the item is 'on the other side'.

Which OTHER SIDE...can you get fucking specific you idiot?

by Anonymousreply 5412/13/2010

You have one of the problem stores. Too big for someone to walk you over to the product because they will never get back to their actual duties.

GO TO THE SERVICE DESK!

That's what they are there for, you idiot.

I could regal you with stupid customer stories. People who want to check out at the prepared foods or deli counters. People in their 40's and 50's who seem to have never been in a grocery store before and who can't figure out how to use their credit card at the register. Honestly, 3 or 4 times a day I help someone, not a teenager, a mature adult, who seems absolutely helpless to figure out how to shop for food or pay their tab.

And then there are the customers who ask questions like, "Why don't you have organic local apples?" Because it's April you moron and apples come to harvest in the fall! Failed basic earth science in high school did you?

And then there's the customers who think the service desk is a check out. NOOOOOOO! It's for specific customer service. Returns. Exchanges. Questions. No you can't return an item at the register. In what major store can you return an item at a register. Where have you been shopping all your fucking useless life?

I expect confusion from the foreign customers. Happy to help, but the Americans who wander around confused. Get fucking real.

by Anonymousreply 5512/13/2010

[quote]No you can't return an item at the register. In what major store can you return an item at a register.

Trader Joe's actually...if you return an item they will take it at the register.

by Anonymousreply 5612/13/2010

R55, you're making me glad I shop at TJ's.

by Anonymousreply 5712/13/2010

So am I, R55. We have enough of you.

by Anonymousreply 5812/13/2010

What, you dopes who can't shop without hazard think that the staff doesn't notice what a moron you are?

We laugh at you in the kitchen, we laugh at you in the dairy case, we laugh at you in the cash office. At meetings!

We are mocking you.

Have a nice day, come back soon!!

Bwahhahahahahaha!

by Anonymousreply 5912/13/2010

I like WF365 brand. It's cheaper than other brands they carry and just as good. TJ's is good for cheap fruit and salads, and some vegetables (like organic grape tomatoes).

Still, I buy most of my produce at the local market and the small co-op in my neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 6012/13/2010

The first Trader Joe's store was on Arroyo Parkway in Pasadena; it still stands.

by Anonymousreply 6112/13/2010

TJ is affordable for packaged goods such as cereals, nuts and juices. The produce is more hit or miss but they do have organic pears and apples for much cheaper than non-organic ones at my local Giant.

Grew up with the great TJ customer service and vibe and was dismayed by the TJ's customer service in DC metro area. But that could be that customer service is terrible in DC generally. Happy with my local TJ but they can't get moldy items off the shelves fast enough. Don't know if it's just my location but I never saw this type of stuff when I was in LA (Pasadena, West LA, SilverLake).

by Anonymousreply 6212/13/2010

R55, I have news for you, the staff at TJ's also thinks you're an idiot.

We mock you after you leave. We laugh at you in the dairy case, we laugh at you in the cash office. We tell stories in meetings about you.

Where are you gonna shop now?

by Anonymousreply 6312/13/2010

The WF employee is a nasty piece of work. Figures. Most of their cashiers strike me as humorless, fish-eyed and aloof.

by Anonymousreply 6412/13/2010

r63?

Wegman's. The best supermarket in the US.

Bristol Farms, the best gourmet market in the US.

Any other questions?

by Anonymousreply 6512/13/2010

I'm with r64. Frankly, I'm afraid of the WF employees. They're just so nasty & annoying.

by Anonymousreply 6612/13/2010

[quote] No you can't return an item at the register. In what major store can you return an item at a register.

Vons. In fact at the service desk most times they insist you take it to one of the registers to return/exchange.

by Anonymousreply 6712/13/2010

Trader Joe's hands down. Walked into pretentious Whole Foods, saw the prices and walked right out.

by Anonymousreply 6812/13/2010

Wegman's is a wonderful experience. Giving out gigt certificates.

by Anonymousreply 6912/13/2010

Why are you guys coming down on r55? Each and everyone of you knows that the public is stupid and entitled. C'mon, this is the country where Sarah Palin is taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 7012/13/2010

FRESH N EASY IS THE BEST!

by Anonymousreply 7112/13/2010

There aren't any hipsters working in my Trader Joes. Just regular suburban people wearing regulation Hawaiian shirts.

by Anonymousreply 7212/13/2010

Old Town Alexandria VA...hate the TJs...I find the employees to be complete and total idiots. All the cashiers want to do is yak, not check out the customer quickly and efficiently. Also, they let any amount through the "express" lane...that really pisses me off.%0D The only thing TJs has going for it is the baby arugula.%0D %0D The Whole Foods at the other end of town is a jewel. The employees are helpful and very nice and knowledgeable. Also, the produce department is a thing of beauty. Yes, the prices are higher than Giant, but not that much.

by Anonymousreply 7312/13/2010

The Trader Joe's around here are all staffed by eccentrics who want to tell you their opinions and life stories, and cheerful lesbians. %0D %0D The Whole Foods staff are usually dazed, sullen, and strangely superior acting, (considering they're grocery store workers), and don't know fresh kale from lettuce or daikon from turnips.

by Anonymousreply 7412/13/2010

That's been exactly my experience here r74%0D %0D And heaven forbid you want anything from the Whole Foods prepared foods counter. They're surly and act like you're asking them to donate a kidney instead of merely dish out some damn salad.

by Anonymousreply 7512/13/2010

The only thing that bugs me about TJ's employees is their penchant for offering cheerful commentary on at least one of the items in your cart or basket, typically along the lines of "Oh, I love these!" That irks me, though I'm not sure why. Otherwise, they are on the whole quite lovely and pleasant people. WF staff, on the other hand, are just sullen and seem bitter.

by Anonymousreply 7612/13/2010

I live near both TJ and Wholefoods on Union Square. I cannot abide by TJ's, the lines are ridiculous, there's no way to shop as the lines are always in front of hat you want to look at. So I always suffer Wholefoods instead. Plus I like their 365 line of goods. Very affordable.

by Anonymousreply 7712/13/2010

Whole Foods fan here - its the only place I shop. My Whole Foods is beautiful, staffed with super-friendly and helpful people, has incredible pizza and hot/cold foods bar, gelato, etc. I'm single so its also a social experience for me as I often get something to eat and sit in the cafe after I shop and see friends and neighbors. I love to cook so I think its an inspirational place as well.

by Anonymousreply 7812/13/2010

I liked it better when Whole Foods (in CA) was Mrs. Gooch's!

by Anonymousreply 7912/13/2010

[quote] I liked it better when Whole Foods (in CA) was Mrs. Gooch's!

Me too!

by Anonymousreply 8012/13/2010

Speaking of Trader Joe's I got a bag of Fiberful ends and pieces and was snacking on it yesterday. I ate most of the bag and today when the roto rooter action began I checked it.

One serving has 48% of your daily fiber and I probably had 5 servings.

I gotta say my stomach is flat even though I have not been able to leave the house.

by Anonymousreply 8112/13/2010

Another vote for Wegmans. Not just a great supermarket, with all kinds of the high-end, organic, and healthy stuff WF and TJs trade on, but consistently ranked as one of the best companies to work for in the country.

I never worked for them, but a lot of people I went to high school and college with did--as part time employees they got generous college scholarships if they agreed to work a certain number of hours during school breaks and summers.

I live in an area where they dominate the grocery business, and every store is somewhat different but all of them are excellent at customer service and selection. Plus they keep the other chains on their toes.

by Anonymousreply 8212/13/2010

Some of us have never heard of Wegmans

by Anonymousreply 8312/13/2010

Do none of you have farmer's markets or independent organic food stores? I have never shopped at Whole Foods, because there are so many farmer's markets and organic food stores in the San Francisco area where I can actually buy local produce, local cheeses, locally raised beef and chicken, fish, etc.

by Anonymousreply 8412/13/2010

I'm with R84. If you live a big city and care about the quality of the food you buy, there's absolutely no reason to shop at a large supermarket chain.

by Anonymousreply 8512/13/2010

r84 & r85: why are you on this thread? It's [bold]"Whole Foods v. Trader Joes."[/bold]

Not [bold]"Where do oh-so-sophisticated big city folk purchase provisions?"[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 8612/13/2010

R84. You live in San Francisco. 100 to 250 miles away from the majority of the farms that feed the entire country.

Where in Boston am I going to get fresh farm produce in the dead of fucking winter? Haymarket our year round market is selling food from CALIfuckingfORNIA!

by Anonymousreply 8712/13/2010

Sorry I didn't realize that this question was only posed to those of you on the east coast.

by Anonymousreply 8812/13/2010

Minneapolis isn't on the west coast. Where are they getting their fresh veggies this time of year, the Metrodome?

Maybe not.

by Anonymousreply 8912/13/2010

Trader Joes ------------ Customers: The aisles are a bit small so you have to jocky for position, but most are polite. Crowd seems to be some hipsters mixed with young professionals. Staff: Always friendly and helpful, although I wish they'd calm down stop ringing that damn whatever, and they're often so frantic to restock that they get in your way. Food: I agree their fresh produce is not that great. Everybody seems to have a few favorites they sell. For me, it's currently the mango sticky rice. Their wine and cheese are great values.

Whole Foods: ------------ Customers: the people that shop there are despicable (possibly I fall into this category). Rich and rude. I have to make myself brave the gauntlet of their aisles at the end of a hard day of work. It's so depressing to me as a liberal that every liberal I know shops there, and it's the coldest, nastiest place. Meanwhile at the local Krogers where the nascar set shops I've never been treated with anything but courtesy. Staff: Rude but relatively competent. My whole foods staff is comprised of 2 parts unwashed stoner teenage hipster boys + 3 parts snobby queens + 2 parts sullen chicks with body modifications + that one "special" black kid they ignore. Food: Have to admit it pretty good, especially fruits and vegetables. Overpriced of course.

Both of these stores are pathetic compared to FreshMarket. I feel happy and relaxed after shopping there and nothing they sell is anything short of perfect. And they also avoid my pet peeve, they're never crowded.

by Anonymousreply 9012/13/2010

R76, I've noticed that the TJ checkers often comment (favorably, of course) on the contents of my basket -- I assume they're told to be chatty, & what else can they chat about with total strangers (other than the weather)?

I once commented on an item displayed near the register: chocolate covered edamame.

Me: "That's, um, interesting -- I wonder if it's good."

Checker: "I don't know -- lots of people buying it -- but I never eat any of this stuff!"

I haven't seen her since.

by Anonymousreply 9112/13/2010

Whole Foods = greenwashed not really organic shit. Packaged to make SUV driving trophy wives feel good about themselves.

by Anonymousreply 9212/13/2010

I lean more toward WF.. around here they are reasonably friendly staff. (Boston)

The trick with WF is to avoid the ridiculously expensive stuff. Go for the bulk foods, the 365 brand (China origin excepted) and the fresh produce that's in season. Skip the $16.99 aromatherapy candle and the $23.46 tuna steak.

TJ is a bargain on some items: vitamins, energy bars, dairy/cheese, nuts/chips/snack foods, froz veggies.

by Anonymousreply 9312/13/2010

[quote]I've noticed that the TJ checkers often comment (favorably, of course) on the contents of my basket

That's so true.

It's a common comment about Trader Joe's (see link). It's probably included in their training.

by Anonymousreply 9412/13/2010

Re Whole Foods:

[quote]It's so depressing to me as a liberal that every liberal I know shops there, and it's the coldest, nastiest place. Meanwhile at the local Krogers where the nascar set shops I've never been treated with anything but courtesy.

I've thought the exact same thing.

by Anonymousreply 9512/13/2010

Kroger?? Please. I lived in Nashville for a year and I know first hand how vile the stuff they sell is. No matter how many times they croak "I hope y'all are having a fine day", I wouldn't touch most of that stuff. Do you go to a supermarket for the quality of food or to recreate some phony Mayberry experience from your youth?

by Anonymousreply 9612/13/2010

I've never heard of Fresh Market.

by Anonymousreply 9712/13/2010

Back in the 80s, when Whole Foods was more like an old hippie co-op, I remember reading a notice posted on the bulletin board that a popular brand of all-natural baked goods were no longer being sold since it was discovered that the supplier was just fraudulently repackaging Sara Lee and marking it up.

by Anonymousreply 9812/13/2010

I am addicted to TJ's pizza dough. I buy the whole wheat one, cut it in half and freeze one half. The other I roll out very thinly, then top with homemade marinara sauce, roasted vegetables, parmesan and lite mozzarella. Bake at 400 or so for 15 minutes. %0D %0D GodDAMN it is good--and really filling. And 1/2 pizza isn't too many calories.%0D %0D Addicted. Just roasted my vegetables for tomorrow night's pizza.%0D %0D Whole Foods--meh. Too smug and expensive for me, but their chocolate chip cookies are good.

by Anonymousreply 9912/13/2010

Sorry R97, you may be out of luck in your location.

FreshMarket is scattered over the eastern half of the country.

by Anonymousreply 10012/13/2010

[quote]Do you go to a supermarket for the quality of food or to recreate some phony Mayberry experience from your youth?

No, I don't generally shop at Krogers unless I want a cheap basic item.

I sharpen my battleaxe and brave the pushing and scowling at Whole Foods to get the food I want. I just don't enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 10112/13/2010

You guys oversold Trader Joe's. There were so many raves about on DL, then I went to the one in WeHo when I was in LA on assignment and was totally unimpressed. Then we got a TJ's in my hometown and it was still not even close to the DL raves. So I can't figure out what you guys see in it.

Whole Foods just provides a better shopping experience IMO, even with the cunty staff.

by Anonymousreply 10212/13/2010

[quote]Kroger?? Please. I lived in Nashville for a year and I know first hand how vile the stuff they sell is%0D %0D For Christs sake it is a middle of the road supermarket chain not the dumpster in back of an abortion clinic. Where do you live now? L.A.? Ralphs is the same fucking company.

by Anonymousreply 10312/13/2010

Anyone shop at Costco?

by Anonymousreply 10412/14/2010

Yes, R104. Costco is impractical unless you can put huge quantities to good use, but I've never been dissatisfied with the quality of any of their products -- produce, meat, poultry, fish, cheese, eggs, milk, yogurt, frozen stuff, staples, prepared dishes -- & all the non-food items too. Pretty much everyone I know is pleased with pretty much everything they get at Costco.

Good prices & nice staff. Too crowded, which creates kind of a mob scene mentality, but at least the customers aren't snooty (after all, there's no cachet about shopping at Costco).

by Anonymousreply 10512/14/2010

r87, go to Harvest Coop or City Feed & Supply.

by Anonymousreply 10612/14/2010

I love TJ.

WF is nice, but way too overpriced.

by Anonymousreply 10705/05/2013

tj is the best

by Anonymousreply 10807/30/2013

OP is retarded. Almost as retarded as the "I'm 35 and think I should go to law school because it's my dream" poster.

by Anonymousreply 10907/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.