Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Food ''cures'' that really made a difference

There are always articles about superfood things that will create optimal health if we only eat them. However I can only consume so many blueberries a day and don't feel different when I do. There are however a few things that have helped me. I have arthritis...I refused to take prednisone and asked my doc about natural things I could do. She suggested that I add a lot of turmeric, raw garlic, and fresh ginger to my diet. She had read somewhere about India and less symptoms. I did and we are talking turmeric (fresh when possible) in at least two meals a day. I am typing 80 wpm much less pain. Any food cures that have significantly helped you?

by Anonymousreply 19911/30/2012

Extra Virgin Coconut oil. Internally - I mix it with a fruit smoothie in the morning, for smoother skin and fuller hair.

by Anonymousreply 112/10/2010

Fish oil. Eliminated all joint pain.

by Anonymousreply 212/10/2010

A little while ago, someone posted a thread about his cure for colds - it involved chicken broth and noodles with raw garlic. I've got a cold now, could someone be a doll and go over that again?%0D %0D For myself, my blood pressure went back to normal when I stopped eated processed foods, and started cooking more.

by Anonymousreply 312/10/2010

I ditched my Tums for ginger snaps - works like a a charm and I don't have the residual stomach upset all day.

by Anonymousreply 412/10/2010

You eat a bowl of chicken soup followed by a bowl of pasta with olive oil and lots of raw garlic on it. A glass of red wine and go to bed.

by Anonymousreply 512/10/2010

OP, you do realize that you probably have B-O now.

by Anonymousreply 612/10/2010

Actually no R6. I also take a capsule of chlorophyll 3 times a day to neutralize the garlic odor. You can buy these at vitamin stores and they do an amazing job of de-stinking the body, especially when garlic is involved but it also works with curry. I have a few Indian friends who use them.

by Anonymousreply 712/11/2010

I know some people that cut grains out of their diet, and who feel much much better for having done so.%0D %0D It's not something I could ever do (eliminate all breads?? no thanks!), but it seemed to work for them. Apparently a lot of people experience a low-level of inflamation from proteins or something in grains... causing everything from clogged arteries to depression. Cutting out grains (going on the "paleo diet" or whatever it's called), gave them a lot more energy.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 812/11/2010

Salt really works for curing ham.

by Anonymousreply 912/11/2010

Dried fruit in the morning instead of coffee. You get an energy boost. Fresh fruit does it too, but you need to eat a lot of it. Don't buy the stuff with added sugar.

by Anonymousreply 1012/11/2010

if you suffer from fever blisters/cold sores I found out about this food cure several years ago from a doctor friend of mine. Eating a helping of certain cruciferous vegetables every day will stop or drastically reduce outbreaks of the herpes simplex 2 virus.

There is a compound in these vegetables called indole-3-carbinol. It is found in broccoli, cabbage & Brussels sprouts.

From the age of 16 until I was in my mid 40's I suffered from fever blisters literally every month or two. When I started eating broccoli every day I noticed that after about 3 months my outbreaks were far less severe, usually only tiny pimple on my lip rather than the huge eruptions I'd had most of my life. I'm now in my mid 50's and haven't had an outbreak in over 4 years. The last one I had lasted about 2 days and it was barely even noticeable.

by Anonymousreply 1112/11/2010

R10 that sounds more like a sugar addiction vs. a food cure.

by Anonymousreply 1212/11/2010

Food consumption is a reliable cure for anorexia.

by Anonymousreply 1312/11/2010

When I have a cold, hot and sour soup always makes me feel better.

by Anonymousreply 1412/11/2010

What is it in the chicken soup that makes you feel better? Is it the chicken or the garlic?

by Anonymousreply 1512/11/2010

R7, if health food stores still sell garlic capsules, would that work as well as fresh garlic for your ailments?

by Anonymousreply 1612/11/2010

r11, so you eat broccoli every day?

I just recently got HSV1 and am trying to find ways to prevent cold sores.

When I read the OP's subject, I immediately thought of the curcumin article I read this week...

by Anonymousreply 1712/11/2010

My joints stopped aching after I gave up pork. %0D Omega 3 cures my PMT and takes away my mood swings. %0D Vitamin B makes my skin look better and prevents me from getting cold sores. %0D I used to loose sleep from my restless legs but not after I started taking magnesium.%0D

by Anonymousreply 1812/11/2010

[quote] I used to loose sleep from my restless legs but not after I started taking magnesium.

That's a lot of health problems for a kindergartener.

by Anonymousreply 1912/11/2010

Any suggestions to naturally improve my libido? Am I drinking too much coffee?

Also, any remedy for candida? I think some prescribed antibiotics did something to the balance of bacteria and fungi in my system.

by Anonymousreply 2012/11/2010

I don't know why, but a quarter cup of vinegar in my dinner helps my head feel less congested.

by Anonymousreply 2112/11/2010

Apple Cider Vinegar knocks a cold out of me in one day. It also seems to help my allergies.

by Anonymousreply 2212/11/2010

Heart problems and cardiovascular disease runs rampant in my family and tends to kill the men in their 60's, and I've heard garlic is very very good for you. I put it in everything. If a recipe calls for 2 cloves, I use a whole bulb! I love it, and just passed a physical with flying colors. One problem though...

I can SMELL it on me all. the. time. I can smell it coming out of my pours. I'm thinking other people notice this...

Any way to combat this downside?

by Anonymousreply 2312/11/2010

Ice held to you lip when you feel a fever blister coming on drastically reduces, pain, size,length of outbreak, and symptoms.. hold the ice on as long as tolerable.

vit d liquid and fish oil help the arthritis. How much tumeric is effective? capsule form?

by Anonymousreply 2412/11/2010

I find that Taco Bell is a good cure for constipation.

by Anonymousreply 2512/11/2010

Yes R17, I do have a serving of either broccoli or cabbage almost every day (usually at dinner). Even if I don't cook any broccoli I'll usually pull out a couple florets from the fridge at night and munch on them.

Oh, here's another remedy I found out years ago that works very well. If you have a sore throat drink two large spoonfuls of dill pickle vinegar. Drinking the vinegar actually gets it down onto the area of the throat that is inflamed and kills the bacteria causing all the pain. Gargling with warm salty water is basically useless because the liquid doesn't get anywhere near the infected area.

by Anonymousreply 2612/11/2010

by Anonymousreply 2712/11/2010

I have a miserable cold. Yesterday I tried the chicken soup and noodles with raw garlic, and it didn't work. Perhaps it's because I had to skip the red wine.%0D %0D I just tried the apple cider vinegar, I'll let you know how that went tomorrow morning. %0D %0D Any other ideas?

by Anonymousreply 2812/11/2010

LOL 19%0D %0D Coconut water for headaches. Bananas also help. Anyone know any foods that help with asthma?%0D %0D 11 do you eat the vegetables raw or cooked?

by Anonymousreply 2912/11/2010

[quote]I can smell it coming out of my pours

Oh dear ...

by Anonymousreply 3012/11/2010

HELLO r20 here... can active cultured yogurt help my candida? What about my libido.... I drink coffee everyday, coudl that eb a problem? HELP

by Anonymousreply 3112/11/2010

MSM, methysulfonylmethane, not men having sex with men, is so wonderful. A 1,000 mgs per day has made my joints feel far less achey and stiff. I take it with glucosamine and chondroitin.%0D %0D MSM occurs naturally in food, but not in that quantity.

by Anonymousreply 3212/11/2010

A daily influx of Man juice has done wonders for my social life...and my skin has never looked better.

by Anonymousreply 3312/11/2010

Make sure the chicken soup is full fat, that's the ingredient that matters.

For constipation, one can of white kidney beans has 150% of recommended fiber for the day. Lots of water and raw veggies. In the morning a cup of prune juice followed by coffee/tea/hot water works fast.

It's not food exactly, but a whey protein. Immunopro RX has been one thing in years of trying various vitamins ect that I could tell helps when I'm completely wiped out and it works fast. Other whey proteins are for gym rats but this is used for medical reasons. My doc recommends it for AIDS patents, anything viral, depression, detoxing. And no I'm not shilling for them.

by Anonymousreply 3412/11/2010

Does Immunopro RX come in flavors?

by Anonymousreply 3512/11/2010

The chicken soup should be fatty garlicky and salty. he fat delivers vitamins.

Before you eat it, throw a towel over your head and breathe in the steam, the wonderful garlicky steam. Send that garlic right down into your lungs.

Then eat it.

by Anonymousreply 3612/11/2010

I found apple cidar vinegar (unprocessed and unfiltered) helped me lose weight in a hurry. I mix it with aloe vera and put it on my thighs and butt and it has visible reduced cellulite though it takes weeks.

by Anonymousreply 3712/11/2010

I lost weight by putting it in my hair.

by Anonymousreply 3812/11/2010

Jesus R23, you 'think' other people notice it???????%0D %0D you 'think'?%0D %0D Are you a moron?%0D %0D Of course, you must stink of garlic all the time - you must just reek with the amount you use.%0D %0D Even a little garlic makes a person reek.%0D %0D It is very offensive.%0D

by Anonymousreply 3912/12/2010

A lot of garlic can also irritate the esophagus and stomach and cause flatulence...and can thin the blood out, which is not always the right idea for everybody.

A one-time serving of chicken soup with smashed cloves of garlic is not going to cure a cold overnight. Like anything homeopathic (if you choose to think of it that way), it will take a some time to work.

For constipation, eating a large amount of any dried fruit will work. I had too many dried apricots last week (about 20) and whoa! was I sorry!

I have heard of apple cider vinegar as a miracle cure. I used to know someone who drank lemon juice in water first thing in the morning for a reason I can't remember. Must clean things out.

by Anonymousreply 4012/12/2010

I chew papaya tablets after every meal, and they help digestion overall, and IBS-type symptoms. Fish oil helps with physical aches and mental well being. I feel much better overall when I eat garlic. Getting enough zinc makes me horny.

by Anonymousreply 4112/12/2010

Can anyone recommend a good brand of Fish Oil capsules? I eat salmon once a week but it may not be enough.

by Anonymousreply 4212/12/2010

What a great thread. I became a huge skincare product junkie about a year ago after getting a tca peel. We had a great thread, that was since deleted where we posted products (products we love thread) anyway, after about 6 months of seemingly testing (and thus spending a small fortune) on skin products, I decided to look into natural products because I didn't want to keep putting weird chemicals on my face if I could avoid it, but I wanted to maintain the results of my peel.

For skin: I started using a lemon wedge after washing my face at night. Just slice a lemon (or buy lemon juice) and go to town on your skin. It's actually a great way to get rid of all the dead skin cells on your face. Lemons are filled with Vitamin C. Vitamin C promotes collagen (you need to maintain that in your skin as you age to stay looking young). Products sold in department stores with enough Vitamin C to be effective (20% of the active ingredients) cost over 50 dollars. The cheaper creams only have 5% vitamin C - which isn't effective. Why not just use a lemon that has 25% vitiman C and save a fortune? It makes your skin look young, fresh and even toned. The results have been amazing. Oh, do this at night, because it is vitamin C, so you don't want to go out into the sun right after (wear sunscreen).

Zinc - lol R41. i started using zinc to combat my oily skin. But wow, when I bought it, I didn't realize the other benefits of Zinc until I started to feel.....different :) I no longer have PMS, no mood swings, and damn does it make me horny, I'm also happy all the time. Another strange thing after I started taking it - I would forget to eat. I wasn't hungry at all. So I looked into it, and it turns out that Zinc is a natural appetite suppressant. I had no idea. Now I do have to remind myself to eat, I could probably go a couple days without eating - it's that much of an appetite suppressant. I don't need to lose weight but if I ever did - this would be the wonder drug of choice.

Olive Oil - I use it as a moisturizer at night - just a few drops on the palm of my hand and massage it on my face. It's the best moisturizer ever (And I've spent serious money on moisturizers testing out what works best). I've wasted so much money - nothing is better then Extra Virgin Olive oil. I wake up in the morning and my face just has this clear natural youthful glow.

Sorry for the rambling. It's just this topic really interests me.

Someone posted about using baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to whiten teeth on another dl thread - I haven't tried it, but I think I will when my teeth need to be whitened again.

by Anonymousreply 4312/12/2010

I loved the "products we love thread"!

R43, do you rinse off the lemon right away or how long do you leave it on?

Do you take zinc as coldeeze or in a tablet?

I've used baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to whiten my teeth. It does work.

by Anonymousreply 4412/12/2010

R44, I was the OP of that thread - it was such a great thread. Sad it was deleted, You all had such awesome product suggestions (and I bought many of them).

I leave the lemon on overnight. I wait about 20 minutes for the lemon juice to absorb then dab on my olive oil moisturizer. It seriously works better than anything I've ever bought (And I'm one who has bought many of the high end products that cost a fortune).

I take 1 tablet of Zinc at night. 40mg.

I'm going to try baking soda and hydrogen peroxide in a few months - I had my teeth professionally whitened over the summer, so they are still very white. Do you know if it ruins the enamel on your teeth?

by Anonymousreply 4512/12/2010

If you think you have a yeast / candida problem try either virgin coconut oil or caprylic acid pills. I picked up the pills at wegmans. After a week of those pills I had no itching. I also take acidophilus daily. It really helps with regularity and it also makes the movement smoother. Consider it internal poo lube.

by Anonymousreply 4612/12/2010

R23, take garlic PILLS instead. You'll never reek again.

by Anonymousreply 4712/12/2010

R4, you may not have stomach problems anymore, but I noticed you've gained 10 extra pounds!

by Anonymousreply 4812/12/2010

I also believe in chicken soup for helping fend off colds - I totally agree that the fat needs to be left in the soup and not skimmed off - but I'd love to read other people's recipes. Specifically, how much garlic do you put in, and does it matter which parts of the chicken you use? I usually put a whole chicken plus some chicken wings in. %0D %0D R37, what kind of aloe vera do you use? Just something you bought from a health food store, or did you actually use the leaves of a plant?

by Anonymousreply 4912/12/2010

Hello R42. Get Eye Q fish oil tablets. They've the best I've found. Expensive but worth it.

by Anonymousreply 5012/12/2010

R23, when I started garlic, my co-workers held a little intervention for me to tell me how bad I smelled. I started taking odorless garlic vitamins every day and they work for me, but I use them to prevent infections and keep my cholesterol down. Go ahead and try odorless pills for a while.

by Anonymousreply 5112/12/2010

Garlic in extra virgin olive oil for ear aches. I put a few crushed cloves in 3-4 T of oil, warm it up a little in the microwave, and let it cool until it's a comfortable temperature, then use a few drops. Don't put it in while it's hot.

Magnesium is great for anxiety, and St John's Wort really seems to work for mild depression.

Cranberry for mild UTIs is also good. Just get the juice that isn't sweetened or use the vitamin supplements.

by Anonymousreply 5212/12/2010

Okay, I took some apple cider vinegar for my cold last night... and I feel better this morning! Either the stuff really does make a difference, or I took it at exactly the point I was starting to recover. %0D %0D Either way, I'm buying more. It's not like the stuff is expensive.

by Anonymousreply 5312/12/2010

[quote]Fish oil. Eliminated all joint pain.

I had the same experience. I had been taking two or three fish oil capsules a day, but I quit when I ran out. (I don't remember why.)

Suddenly I started having horrible pains in my right elbow. Sometimes it hurt to even pick up a pen. A colleague suggested fish oil, so I started taking them again. Without exaggeration, two days later the pain had completely vanished.

by Anonymousreply 5412/12/2010

Believe it or not, yogurt really has improved the situation "down there."

by Anonymousreply 5512/12/2010

R23 The answer to your question was already posted on the first page. Try reading the thread.

by Anonymousreply 5612/12/2010

The odorless garlic pills do NOTHING, in fact the process that makes them into pills and odorless kills the compounds you need.

Just eat the raw garlic and take the chlorrophyll capsules.

by Anonymousreply 5712/13/2010

[quote]11 do you eat the vegetables raw or cooked?

I typically will either stir fry my veggies or steam them. But if i have a day where I can't cook any broccoli I'll take out a couple florets from the fridge and just eat them raw or with a little ranch dressing as a dip.

by Anonymousreply 5812/13/2010

Where do you buy ImmunoPro RX?

by Anonymousreply 5912/14/2010

OP, turmeric is a natural blood thinner. People who take blood thinners such as warfarin (also known as coumadin) cannot eat it, or else may have to adjust their dosage as the turmeric does the same thing.%0D %0D If you're eating a large amount of turmeric every day, you may want to pay attention the next time you cut yourself. Large amounts of turmeric may affect your ability to clot.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6012/14/2010

Club soda (not seltzer or sparkling water) for migraines. If taken early it can stave off an attack. If taken when the pain has gotten bad it keeps the nausea/vomiting from starting and shortens the duration.

Magnesium for leg/foot cramps.

Started using a tongue scraper every night and haven't had a sore throat in years.

by Anonymousreply 6112/14/2010

"I can SMELL it on me all. the. time. I can smell it coming out of my pours."%0D %0D You must learn be a responsible bartender and not bring your garlic to work. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6212/14/2010

One half teaspoon of good horseradish immediately clears sinuses and head colds. Immediately. If you have it, hot mustard, one half teaspoon does the trick as well. Asparagus and grapefruit are natural diuretics.%0D %0D Are people serious or joking about the odor of garlic? I mean,I read that garlic really reduces cholesterol and it's like a friggin' miracle cure for all kinds of stuff. I can't eat raw garlic. It gives me stomach cramps and diahrrea. But garlic capsules might be OK. Only I don't want to stink.

by Anonymousreply 6312/14/2010

tumeric is great for gallstones

by Anonymousreply 6412/14/2010

Someone in here please tell me that tequila is good for something.

by Anonymousreply 6512/14/2010

%0D Garlic by itself is not strong-smelling, it only acquires its strong smell when its essential oils make contact with the air. You can prevent that happening by throwing the raw garlic into cold olive oil (or any other oil) immediately it is chopped or crushed. The thin layer of oil insulates the oil from the air.%0D %0D Conversely, the thing not to do if you want to avoid the smell is leaving raw chopped or crushed garlic hanging around on a chopping board.

by Anonymousreply 6612/14/2010

Thanks R66. But will the smell still come out of your pores just as much after eating it?

by Anonymousreply 6712/14/2010

R63, I was serious. My co-workers really did hold an intervention because they hated how I stank when I ate raw garlic.

by Anonymousreply 6812/14/2010

LOL R19! %0D %0D I haven't had a cold since I started adding a teaspoon of organic honey to my herbal tea twice a day and use my nosebuddy to clean my nose every night. I usually have one or two bad colds or even influenza every fall, but not this year!%0D %0D Vitamin D supplements has cured my SAD, wintertime is no longer spent in a long sleepy haze.

by Anonymousreply 6912/14/2010

I am loving this thread!!! Taking notes, too.%0D %0D I've been taking a collagen supplement for years. Collagen I & III and it does wonders for hair, skin, nails, and joints. It also helps build muscle, so if I exercise regularly, I'm trimmer faster.

by Anonymousreply 7012/14/2010

Read the damn thread...the cure for garlic smell has been mentioned more than once.

by Anonymousreply 7112/14/2010

Garlci isn't going to make you smell unless you sweat a lot

by Anonymousreply 7212/14/2010

read the book "the secrets of people who never get sick" -- talks a lot about which foods keep you well. also talks about the cure for garlic smell -- eating fresh parsley.

by Anonymousreply 7312/14/2010

R72, what planet do you live on? Are you that dumb?%0D %0D Garlic makes a person reek, even when not sweating, you moron.%0D %0D Garlic emanates from deep within the lungs.

by Anonymousreply 7412/14/2010

"Garlic makes a person reek, even when not sweating, you moron"%0D %0D %0D %0D No, it doesn't, you moron. What planet do you live on?%0D %0D %0D I know people who eat garlic all the time and they don't smell.

by Anonymousreply 7512/14/2010

The obvious solution to garlic smell is to move to a country along the Mediterranean, where most everyone else around you will be pretty garlicky. I had to cut my garlic consumption drastically when I moved to the States.

by Anonymousreply 7612/14/2010

There is a tale , true or not, that if you rub garlic on the soles of your feet at night, you'll wake up with garlic breath. I heard this years ago, but like Mikey , I'M not gonna try it!

by Anonymousreply 7712/14/2010

Could R72, R75 be any more stupid?

by Anonymousreply 7812/14/2010

I got rid of animal products and now my acne's gone.

by Anonymousreply 7912/14/2010

Ok, so this is my summary so far

Garlic is good for joints and colds.. but take chlorophyll 3 times a day to neutralize the garlic odor.

Omega 3 & 6 Fish Oil is good for joints and mood swings and eyes and lots of good things.

Yogurt for yeast infections? Am I right on this one?

Vinegar to stave off sore throats?

by Anonymousreply 8012/14/2010

OP I highly recommend this book.

by Anonymousreply 8112/14/2010

R69 How much Vitamin D do you take? Are you taking Vitamin D3? Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 8212/14/2010

Oh, fuck. The China Study is a horrible piece of so-called research. Really, it's laughable. Google "china study" and read some of the critiques. Campbell's veganism has affected his brain.

by Anonymousreply 8312/14/2010

My chiropractor recommended bromelain, a pineapple enzyme, for inflammation in my back. I had to take a lot at first but in a couple weeks the nagging pains really died down. I looked it up and saw that it was recommended for arthritis as well. So I guess pineapples are good for that kind of stuff as well .

It wasn't expensive and it sure as hell beat damaging my stomach with Advil every other day.

by Anonymousreply 8412/14/2010

R81 I have read it.

It was an interesting part of the whole equation. I do eat a LOT of vegetables but some meat as well.

by Anonymousreply 8512/14/2010

I take 4,000 mg of D3 a day. Since the time changed last month I haven't felt down like I did last year when I'd want to go to sleep soon after the sun went down at 4:30.

by Anonymousreply 8612/14/2010

I've heard apple cider vinegar talked up as a miracle cure. Personally, I've had people tell me that it cured colds, and made chronic heartburn go away.%0D %0D Okay, so I took some for a cold earlier this week, and it seemed to help.%0D %0D But it gave me horrible heartburn, so there's one recommendation out the window.

by Anonymousreply 8712/14/2010

The vinegar for hearburn thing is burns the hell out of my stomach.

by Anonymousreply 8812/14/2010

The China Study is amazing. Eating animal products makes you fat & slow. A whole foods vegan diet is the key to being healthly, slim & fit.

by Anonymousreply 8912/14/2010

No...and most of China is NOT vegan you idiot.

by Anonymousreply 9012/14/2010

After reading the China Study and learning about the harmful effects of adults drinking cow's milk and the harmful effects of an ingredient in milk called casein, I switched to almond milk which is readily available in all large grocery stores.%0D %0D Silk brand is one of the brands, and there is another major brand. %0D %0D I'm really happy with using almond milk.

by Anonymousreply 9112/14/2010

The China study is one of the biggest pieces of propaganda out there. Complete BS.

Omega III is a natural anti-inflammatory. I learned this from my vet who also has a Ph.D. in clinical nutrition. Boswellia, an ayurvedic medicine, is also an excellent anti-inflammatory. My ancient pets are all very spry thanks to their diet and this vet.

by Anonymousreply 9212/14/2010

by Anonymousreply 9312/14/2010

Can someone suggest a good affordable probiotic? A friend swears by Flora Q, but they're pretty expensive.

by Anonymousreply 9412/14/2010

I usually have blueberries at least twice a day - on oatmeal or dry cereal in the morning and on a 1/2 scoop of frozen yogurt after dinner.

by Anonymousreply 9512/14/2010

>>Garlic emanates from deep within the lungs.%0D %0D Oh, lord.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 9612/14/2010

R94, I have used Acidophilus Pearls by Enzymatic Therapy. They are $15 for 30 pills in the store, but you can get a wee bit better deal online (Amazon, etc). I find them to be high quality and very effective.

by Anonymousreply 9712/14/2010

R96,%0D %0D How to Get Rid of Garlic BreathIn other words, garlic breath comes from your lungs and not your mouth. The odor will not go away until the garlic has passed through your body. ...%0D - %0D %0D - SimilarHow to get rid of garlic smell?2) Rub a little salt or baking soda to remove the garlic smell from your hands, ... because the garlic breath comes from the lungs, not from the mouth. ...%0D -

by Anonymousreply 9812/15/2010

[quote]I have used Acidophilus Pearls by Enzymatic Therapy.

The MARY! of dietary supplements.

by Anonymousreply 9912/15/2010

R99, Wait, I don't get it. Did I make a grammar error or am I just missing the frau joke?

Or am I too stupid to warrant an explanation? (Just trying to be preemptive).

by Anonymousreply 10112/15/2010

R100, that is not my statement.%0D %0D I was presenting you with sources on the internet which state that.%0D %0D If you google it, it is repeated 100's of times from various authoritative sources.%0D %0D It is a well-known medical fact.%0D %0D Apparently you do not know how to google nor do you know the simplest of scientific/medical facts.%0D %0D Also, can you not recognize quotes from google websites?%0D %0D Why you would argue this point is beyond stupidity. Have you never heard of checking facts using google?

by Anonymousreply 10212/15/2010

The probiotic I use is Culterelle. In stores, it's about $19 for 30 capsules; probably cheaper on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 10312/15/2010

[quote]It is a well-known medical fact

Then provide a medical cite. Because, and this might surprise you, not everything you read on the internet is true. Shocking, I know.

by Anonymousreply 10412/15/2010

Oops, I meant Culturelle.

by Anonymousreply 10512/15/2010

Garlic breath comes from your stomach.

by Anonymousreply 10612/15/2010

I found out this year that I'm lactose intolerant, which runs in my family and probably affects many adults. Since drastically decreasing dairy (which I LOVE) I feel much better - no gas, stomach pain, or bloating. I went to a gastroeneterologist and did the milk test - drank a glass of whole milk and had my breath measured an hour or so later - whatever it was, it was off the scale.

I mention this as I'm sure that many people (here) suffer stomach complaints that could be for this reason, but they haven't been checked out.

No yogurt, ice cream, sour cream, soft cheese - hard cheese and some milk in my coffee are all I will have; it's just not worth the discomfort to indulge and has made such a difference. Maybe this will help someone.

by Anonymousreply 10712/15/2010

You should be able to eat yogurt as yogurt comes with a ton of lactic acid.

by Anonymousreply 10812/15/2010

R82: Yes, D3. I take 2000-4000 iu (1-2 capsules) per day. Works like magic. %0D %0D R94: I take a few spoons of organic lacto fermented vegetables every day and it's cheap and easy. %0D %0D Blueberries are packed with vitamin C and antioxidants and are good for the eyes. I add a handful of them to my morning smoothie. %0D %0D Has anybody tried olive oil and lemon juice to detox the liver?

by Anonymousreply 10912/15/2010

[quote]Has anybody tried olive oil and lemon juice to detox the liver?

We have just moved into the loony tunes fruitcake territory when the detox queen shows up.

If the 'cleans' queen comes on this thread, let it die.

by Anonymousreply 11012/15/2010

I don't know what to call it but I have a gurglely stomach. It's genetic. My mom has it too.

This doesn't mean I always have gas, it just means that when I lie on my back at night my stomach makes a lot of noise. It's not particularly uncomfortable but terribly annoying and a little embarrassing.

Is it excess acid?

Is yogurt something good for this, or is that a bad idea because it's lactose.

I don't want this noise to be there my whole life.

by Anonymousreply 11112/15/2010

Thanks R43, I'm going to start trying the lemons at night! I've used olive oil for moisturizer and it's pretty amazing.

Though not a food product, the other thing I like to use for my skin is the crushed aspirin mask (3 aspirin tablets crushed & mixed with a small amount of water). I leave that on until I can't take it anymore (usually makes me sneezy) and after I rinse, my face is super soft. It works great at drying out and reducing the size of blemishes too.

by Anonymousreply 11212/15/2010

Vertical ridges have appeared on the nails of two fingers on one hand - why would this be? Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 11312/17/2010

R113 you need more fiber, seriously.

by Anonymousreply 11412/18/2010

by Anonymousreply 11512/18/2010

Thanks for the response R114. What is it about lackig fibre that's causing the nail ridges?

by Anonymousreply 11612/20/2010

I don't remember the explanation but I had them a long time ago. I went to the doc, she said I needed more fiber in my diet. At the time I was pretty young and had come from a meat and potatoes house.

I did as suggested and they grew out and never came back.

by Anonymousreply 11712/20/2010

For those of you who use apple cider vinegar to help with a cold, how do you use it? (Do you drink it directly? Put X amount in water? Add it to tea?)

Also, do you use a particular brand, or will any kind from the grocery store do?

by Anonymousreply 11812/20/2010

I use BRAGG apple cider vinegar. You can put a a couple of tbsp. into a glass of water.

by Anonymousreply 11912/20/2010

Thanks 119!

by Anonymousreply 12012/20/2010

I have a situation people. After taking antibiotics on two separate occasions (I had a bad case of the flu), I realized that I ended up suffering from Candida-balanitis (male yeast infection). I've tried the probiotic yogurt and staying away from beers and bread for a while, but the symptoms always seem to recur. Can anyone help me and tell me what to do to get this thing under control to the days before I ever took antibiotics?

by Anonymousreply 12103/20/2011

Tea made from senna leaves is a very effective laxative. It doesn't taste very good, but adding honey makes it palatable.

by Anonymousreply 12203/20/2011

Ice cream works for me. I no longer have IBS or reflux. I guess the coldness helps.

I now eat ice cream after every meal.

by Anonymousreply 12303/20/2011

Three tablespoons of vinegar taken directly or on salad cuts the carbs digested in that meal by 30%.

by Anonymousreply 12403/20/2011

Saw a documentary on Netflix the other day where some doctors beefed up their patients daily Vitamin C intake to around 250,000 units and cured their cancer.

While we might not need that much, drink your orange juice every day and take as much vitamin c as you can.

by Anonymousreply 12503/20/2011

r19: Tonic water for restless legs.

by Anonymousreply 12603/20/2011

Orange juice is pure sugar. Eat fruit, take supplements, avoid sugary juices.

by Anonymousreply 12703/20/2011

That is very interesting about tonic water for restless legs.%0D %0D I love this thread. We need to keep learning (yes, even on DL) more about natural cures and be less dependent on the man.

by Anonymousreply 12803/20/2011

by Anonymousreply 12903/20/2011

I%E2%80%99m allergic to cats, but have always loved them. Starting from the age of nine when my family got our first cat, I suffered nearly constant allergy symptoms My main symptoms were a runny nose and itchy eyes. Also, I would periodically experience sudden itching inside of my nostrils which was extremely embarrassing if I were among other people.

Then, when I was in my early twenties I began to read and hear the claim made that many allergic symptoms such as mine could be greatly decreased by eliminating the intake of milk products as a part of one%E2%80%99s diet. Since I%E2%80%99d been a big milk drinker all of my life, I figured I%E2%80%99d try stopping my drinking of milk to see if there were anything to this claim. The result was that it made a [italic]dramatic[/italic] difference in my case. As a result, it%E2%80%99s been nearly thirty years since I last drank a glass of milk. While I still do experience allergy symptoms, the occurrence is [italic]nowhere near[/italic] as frequent. And when they do happen, tend to be much less severe than they were during the years when I would normally drink several glasses of milk every day.

by Anonymousreply 13003/20/2011

by Anonymousreply 13103/20/2011

I can't help you out because I don't know what it is. Jeez, see a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 13203/20/2011

You mean the Tony Orlando song, R131? I just change the station every time it comes on the radio. Works every time.

Hope this helps!

by Anonymousreply 13303/20/2011

Great thread. I've heard that seaweed is great for you, by far one of the most nutritious foods.

by Anonymousreply 13403/20/2011

R94, I'm a little late to the party, but my sister swears by Ultimate 10 Probiotics from The Vitamin Shoppe. Don't have a clue about the price, though. Also don't know if that is a nationwide chain.

by Anonymousreply 13503/20/2011

Dear, R129, You should also try the probiotics. And don't stop taking them just because the symptoms have lessened.

by Anonymousreply 13603/20/2011

R43, do you put the lemon juice around your eyes too? Doesn't it dry your skin out--even with the olive oil? I'm excited to try it!!!Also, re: TCA peel--don't you leave the TCA on your skin for a minute--and then, rinse with a mixture of baking soda and distilled water? (to neutralize the TCA) If so, what's the ratio of water to TCA? Also, is the TCA mixed with anything before applying to the skin?%0D Many thanks!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 13703/20/2011

R113 - ridges in your nails occur as you get old. Surprise!

by Anonymousreply 13903/20/2011

by Anonymousreply 14003/22/2011

Weight lose / metabolism help please.

by Anonymousreply 14103/23/2011

You all should be reading the book The Secrets of People Who Never Get Sick.

by Anonymousreply 14203/23/2011

R121, have you tried NOW brand Candida Clear? I have Candida problems too. I think you have to avoid carbs for some time, possibly months, to kill off the candida, and then repopulate the good bacteria in your intestines (with Acidophilus, kefir etc.) to keep the Candida from returning.

It's staying away from carbs and sugar that is the hard part. You crave them intensely right after cutting them out.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 14303/23/2011

What is the matter with you?

You must take 4 acidophilus pills every day you take antibiotics to counteract and not end up with an infection.

No one has ever told you this?

by Anonymousreply 14403/25/2011

[quote]I find that Taco Bell is a good cure for constipation.%0D %0D LOL, oh really?

by Anonymousreply 14503/25/2011

Has anyone tried Milk Thistle for liver health?

by Anonymousreply 14603/25/2011

Rinse your mouth with salt walter after you brush your teeth to get rid of canker sores overnight.

by Anonymousreply 14703/25/2011

There's a whole website about candida. Watch the video.

by Anonymousreply 14803/27/2011

Take club soda to stop muscle cramps (Charlie horses in the back of your legs)%0D %0D Take 2 large spoonful of baking soda, place in water and drink when you are feeling a cold sore.

by Anonymousreply 14903/28/2011

I stopped eating turnips after 6pm and no longer see the Hatman or Shadow People slide out from under my bed.

by Anonymousreply 15003/28/2011

I hope the hysteric with candida took the time to read this entire thread. Not only did a poster respond after his outbursts, but there was a post before his that had some good recommendations.

I'm assuming his candida has hit his brain.

by Anonymousreply 15103/28/2011

by Anonymousreply 15203/29/2011

[quote]Take 2 large spoonful of baking soda, place in water and drink when you are feeling a cold sore.

I don't get cold sores, so I can't vouch for the efficacy of this solution, but I *strongly* suggest that you simply dab the baking soda paste on the spot.

Drinking water with baking soda will immediately make you vomit, and thus you won't be able to get any sort of nutritional benefit because it'll all be in the toilet bowl (if you're lucky).

[Years ago, my granny told me a glass of baking soda would cure my heartburn. Unfortunately for me, she didn't specify just *how* it would be cured, bleargh!]

by Anonymousreply 15304/02/2011

Candida - take caprylic acid (read the directions or Google it like the rest of world would) and eliminate ALL sugar from your diet for at least 3 months. Yeast feeds off sugar (so does cancer).

by Anonymousreply 15404/02/2011

Eat a banana or drink some orange juice for potassium when you have muscle cramps.

by Anonymousreply 15504/02/2011

Oregano oil capsules for yeast, viruses, infections, asthma and a host of other ailments. Get the NOW vitamins brand, which includes ginger for any possible stomach upset.

by Anonymousreply 15604/02/2011

The vomiting thing after drinking baking soda mixed with water seems to be unique to R153, or maybe limited to a few people.

Umpteen thousands of people, including me, have taken baking soda and water for heartburn and managed not to puke.

It will cause a rapid release of gas in the form of a burp or two.

by Anonymousreply 15704/03/2011

As efficient as it is, try to limit your ingestion of baking soda to "special occasion" use only, because it can increase your chance of kidney stones.%0D %0D For the person upthread who asked about the effects of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide on tooth enamel - baking soda has no detrimental effect. However, with overuse, hydrogen peroxide will soften the enamel.%0D %0D You can hold it in your mouth for 2-3 minutes but only do this about every two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 15804/03/2011

Thanks to everyonw who mentioned zinc - I've been taking it for about 2 months now and have been feeling great. %0D %0D Are there any natural cures for hay fever?

by Anonymousreply 15904/03/2011

Apple Cider vinegar has been extensively studied.

It does fuck all for any ailment, in other words like the fucking neti pot you have to have FAITH for it to work.

by Anonymousreply 16004/03/2011

by Anonymousreply 16104/05/2011

I would also like to thank everyone who recommended zinc, as well as fish oil capsules. I've struggled with depression all my life, and I was amazed that these two things made such a huge difference.

by Anonymousreply 16204/05/2011

Sounds like I could use some of those myself, R162. Can you go into any more details?

by Anonymousreply 16304/05/2011

how about for weight loss, r160?

by Anonymousreply 16404/07/2011

I've heard that eating a daily teaspoon of Local Honey helps with hayfever.

by Anonymousreply 16504/07/2011

R165 it does not. No proof whatsoever.

This thread got looney when the apple cider vinegar folks showed up.

We went from things that work to the looney tunes nutcase honey cures allergy types.

by Anonymousreply 16604/07/2011

Question: I am somewhat sick and have been coughing and hacking for a few days and have a nasty frog in my throat that I can't seem to swallow. It just kind of sits there even when I swallow, and when I try to clear my throat, it feels like it kind of comes up higher again. It causes me to cough as if I want to expel it. It makes my throat feel obstructed a bit(but I can still eat and drink).

Any advice on getting rid of it? Can I dissipate it somehow?

by Anonymousreply 16704/07/2011

About the local honey ...I can attest to it working.

Moved to a new area and about died with hayfever ,which I had never had before.

Two years of the honey and no more symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 16804/07/2011

Local honey does work. It has to be local or there is no point to it.

by Anonymousreply 16904/07/2011

"Candida Albacans" would be a great name for a drag queen.

by Anonymousreply 17004/08/2011

R167-sounds lie strep throat. Go to the dr.

by Anonymousreply 17104/08/2011

I'm desperate for help with hayfever, so I'm trying the honey advice (hokum or not). I bought a tub of locally produced stuff and hopefully it'll work.

by Anonymousreply 17204/08/2011

by Anonymousreply 17304/28/2011

Hey, I was looking for something else and found this old thread. I'm the person with ridges on my fingernails - they're on both hands now.

by Anonymousreply 17411/20/2012

If you believe in local honey you can convince yourself that your symptoms are lessening, even when they are not.

by Anonymousreply 17511/20/2012

What brand of Zinc do y'all take?

by Anonymousreply 17611/20/2012

[quote]My joints stopped aching after I gave up pork.

It's spelled pron, here.

by Anonymousreply 17711/20/2012

I buy from Swanson.

Any other recommends?

by Anonymousreply 17811/20/2012

Potato pessary.

by Anonymousreply 17911/20/2012

I hope someone publishes a study about the beneficial effects of dingleberries

by Anonymousreply 18011/20/2012

Any food cures for hemorrhoids?

by Anonymousreply 18111/20/2012

I'll be getting turmeric for my mom's joint pain.

by Anonymousreply 18211/21/2012

A large meat lovers' pizza is the perfect cure for my broken heart

by Anonymousreply 18311/21/2012

[121] Candida Albicans I had it for about 6 months; yeast overgrowth on/in every crevice in my body (and I'm not fat but do have large boobies) and also random blisters on weird spots like my calves, hands, ear, etc. After being tested from here to Sunday by internist, dermatologist and rhuematologist and taking several prescription RX severe enuf to require liver toxicity lab tests every 4 days, this is what worked: Dry affected area after washing with Dial soap apply thin coat of turbafine cream apply thin coat of 1% cortisone cream apply Zeabsorb powder Try to keep from sweating; if you do, clean the area more often. Wear clothing/pads/whatever that wicks away moisture. Take probiotics daily (like Culturelle)

ALL of this finally made a difference. Or the cooler weather did it; I'm still not sure which but I am ETERNALLY GRATEFUL TO NOT FEEL LIKE A BLISTERED, OOZING PARIAH anymore. That was icky.

by Anonymousreply 18411/21/2012

R184 what the fuck has that to do with food?

by Anonymousreply 18511/22/2012

Stop, R117. Doctors know nothing about nutrition. They know about big pharma.

by Anonymousreply 18611/22/2012

R146, I have seen milk thistle used for liver conditions causing jaundice with very good results.

by Anonymousreply 18711/22/2012

R175, eating local honey, a little bit every day, is like taking allergy shots. The honey is made from the stuff you are allergic to. Over time, it works to desensitize you. That's why it has to be local.

by Anonymousreply 18811/22/2012

r65 tequila is a good cure for sobriety.

by Anonymousreply 18911/22/2012

R188 a claim that has been shown over and over again in real studies to be completely false, but enjoy your tea with honey.

by Anonymousreply 19011/22/2012

For those drinking the cider vinegar try a tablespoon (or two) in a glass of grape juice. That is how I was told to do it.

by Anonymousreply 19111/22/2012

Grape juice is loaded with sugar, 60 grams per serving. It is best avoided.

by Anonymousreply 19211/22/2012

[quote] Weight lose / metabolism help please.

Eat less. Exercise more

by Anonymousreply 19311/22/2012

If you're suffering from restless leg syndrome or cramping at night, add more potassium to your diet like a few bananas or kiwis a week.

by Anonymousreply 19411/22/2012

If you're suffering from restless leg syndrome got to a club and dance, dance, dance

by Anonymousreply 19511/22/2012

What about skin that scars easily? I'm pretty pale, and even small scrapes seem to scar automatically. Is there a supplement I can take to help my skin heal quicker/better?

by Anonymousreply 19611/29/2012

What the heck causes/cures rings under the eyes? Not necessarily bags or darkness. Is this most likely a sinus issue or connected to allergies?

by Anonymousreply 19711/30/2012

I meet my local honey

for a small exchange of money

I know it’s sad

I know it’s bad

but it makes my day all sunny

by Anonymousreply 19811/30/2012

Belladonna is a good cure for a nasty personality

by Anonymousreply 19911/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!