Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dentist''s Teeth Whitening

Before I have it done I'm concerned that for 48 hours after the treatment you shouldn't consume anything with color. No coffee, tea, oranges, blueberry muffins. What can you eat or drink that isn't acidic or has color?

by Anonymousreply 4202/20/2014

I don't know about that, but it hurt like a mofo. My teeth got totally dehydrated and it was like a million little shocks. I tried milk of magnesia, water, nothing helped. It lasted about 2 days.

by Anonymousreply 112/10/2010

Use a straw for all the drinks, OP. As far as food goes, ask the dentist, but I would guess pasta with tomato sauce is a no.

by Anonymousreply 212/10/2010

Chicken noodle soup and green tea. Or water.

by Anonymousreply 312/10/2010

If youre doing Zoom be prepared for the WORST pain you've ever felt. It's horrible.I was in so much pain I couldn't even speak or concentrate on anything. Was completely disabled for two days. I tried Advil, Tylenol 3 and weed but nothing helped. It was like being tortured. They should submit the procedure for the next Saw movie sequel. I would never do it again.

by Anonymousreply 412/10/2010

OP here. Thanks. I'll take Dr. Oz's advice and use strawberries.

by Anonymousreply 512/10/2010

Dinner menu: Hazelnut crusted trout sauteed in butter, with white corn, mashed potatoes or turnips, and cucumber salad. Cheesecake for dessert, and your choice of gin-and-tonics, white wine, martinis, or club sodas to drink.%0D %0D If you want to go ahead, of course, WTF is this about pain? My friend Marcy had it done, and she never mentioned any pain! Maybe if you have it spread over a lot of visits the way she did, it doesn't hurt?

by Anonymousreply 612/10/2010

Yep R4, that was me too on Zoom. I honestly thought I might need to go to the ER it was that bad. %0D %0D I was told by the dental assistant a certain percentage of patients get dehydrated by the process. I noticed the first shocks as they were finishing, but by that point it's too late. I got the at home kit for follow-up, but I've been afraid to use it.%0D %0D I don't know if you can drink more and do the milk of magnesia rinse before the process to improve your odds.

by Anonymousreply 712/10/2010

Thanks for the warning. I already tend to get dehydrated so this would probably kill me.

by Anonymousreply 812/10/2010

Mix hydrogen peroxide and baking soda and use to brush your teeth 3 times a week. Better than any product you can buy.

by Anonymousreply 912/10/2010

OMG, the Zoom pain. With you, R4 and R7. I almost lost my mind that evening. It was more excruciating than a broken ankle. Much more temporary, though.

by Anonymousreply 1012/10/2010

Was the pain worthwhile? What was the result?

by Anonymousreply 1112/10/2010

You can use Sensodyne with the whitening substance to ease the pain.

OP: Drink water. Chicken Soup. Beef Stock. Jello.

by Anonymousreply 1212/10/2010

Result was excellent, R10. Handsome white teeth that still looked natural. 3 years later they are still whiter than before, though it's sliding. I might do it again in a few years.

The pain did go away gradually after a few days, but that first 12 hours was insane. Almost literally, I was steps from totally losing my shit.

by Anonymousreply 1312/10/2010

R1 here, I was in the process of getting dental implants for my front teeth and wanted to make sure the color matched. Honestly my teeth weren't that yellow. I get dental cleanings every 3 months. Unless you're on TV or doing a Ross Geller impression, no one in real life needs super white teeth.%0D %0D I don't think I would do it again. As I said, I have the maintanence kit and I've not even used that for fear that stabbing pain would return.

by Anonymousreply 1412/10/2010

Yikes. I have a Zoom appt on Dec 21. I am thinking of ditching it due to the pain you all have described!

by Anonymousreply 1512/10/2010

r10, find a dentist that will do the gel whitening with trays. It is the only one we will do in my office.

by Anonymousreply 1612/10/2010

R10, the pain does go away. And some people don't have much pain at all. But as a precaution you should prepare for the chance it could be debilitating, i.e., no way in hell can you go to work the next day.

Google "zoom teeth pain" and you'll learn that the pain is short-term but VERY bad, and it is not uncommon. Is it worth having whiter teeth for the next several years? Up to you.

I'd still do it again, maybe once every 5-7 years, but next time I am getting a friend to hook me up with some codeine in advance.

by Anonymousreply 1712/10/2010

For OP and everyone else that's done this to themselves.

by Anonymousreply 1812/10/2010

The tough thing is I don't think there's any good way to predict who will have the reaction and who won't. By the time you get the pain it's too late.%0D %0D Yeah if you could be totally drugged for the 2 days after it might not be as bad.

by Anonymousreply 1912/10/2010

Codeine does not work to relieve the pain! Nothing works to take the pain away! Nothing!! I tried Advil Tylenol 3 with codeine weed sensodyne toothpaste fluoride rinse alcohol all with no results. Basically if you're going to do it prepare yourself for the most excruciating pain you will ever experience for at least 18 hours. If someone had offered me heroin to shoot up I would've tried it! I would NEVER do Zoom again although my teeth are now really white.

by Anonymousreply 2012/10/2010

Here's a link to some reviews. Most people accurately describe the "zingers" and sadly a lot said they didn't even get good results.

by Anonymousreply 2112/10/2010

How much does it cost?

by Anonymousreply 2212/10/2010

Wow, I read those reviews and all I can say is that I'm so glad I don't feel the need to whiten my teeth. That procedure sounds absolutely hellish.

by Anonymousreply 2312/10/2010

Can anyone recommend a teeth bleaching kit with the custom made trays you can order via the internet?

by Anonymousreply 2412/10/2010

well wtf makes it hurt so bad?

by Anonymousreply 2512/10/2010

All the moisture is sucked out of your teeth.

by Anonymousreply 2612/10/2010

And then the nerves of various random teeth go absolutely crazy in pain as if a hammer of ice was pounding them. Randomly.

by Anonymousreply 2712/10/2010

The other factor is psych/claustrophobia and feeling of entrapment. I mean there you are held down with your mouth pulled open wide and a mask on your face and this machine is starting to cause you intense pain and you're TRAPPED.

I don't have mental health issues but I can see how someone who did, could get majorly traumatized from the experience. (I'm speaking of Zoom whitening, not sure what the others entail)

by Anonymousreply 2812/10/2010

Dental trays for me.

I've heard that the Zoom treatment can cause nerve or dentin damage anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2912/10/2010

Just got my Zoom Whitening done today. I am 47 years old and don't have the best teeth, however, absolutely No Pain at all. It was done in an hour. My teeth are really white now. They were really yellow due to years of smoking and drinking coffee. The hardest part is giving up smoking and coffee for 2 days. I ate mashed potatoes with pale chicken. Not sure why so many people have experienced so much pain. I guess I'm lucky. I was also told not to drink anything too cold or too hot due to tooth sensitivity....but I have not had that issue either. All around a pleasant experience with GREAT results. I would definitely do it every year if I could.

by Anonymousreply 3002/21/2013

Do try whitening if you're afraid of the Zoom pain.

by Anonymousreply 3102/21/2013

Brown rice and vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 3202/21/2013

Oh my god. Reading this, I am afraid I may cancel my appointment :( It is in two weeks. I had teeth whitening YEARS ago, but can't remember if it was ZOOM or not - is there another kind?? They did the gel and the laser... it hurt, but NOT as bad as you're describing. There were some shooting pains especially in my lower teeth for the next 24 hours, but it was relatively bearable. I took some Advil. I use Sensodyne daily anyway.. I wonder if this will help me?

by Anonymousreply 3302/21/2013

Any experience with Opalescence Boost?

by Anonymousreply 3402/19/2014

My dental hygienist recommended the Crest White Strips every day, along with brushing with a whitening toothpaste/baking soda mixture & hydrogen peroxide (separately) a few times a week.

It works...my teeth are very white, it's a much less expensive way to go, & there's no pain, like the ZOOM procedure.

by Anonymousreply 3502/19/2014

I do the Zoom gel tray for a week about every couple of years. The custom made trays cost around $300. I fill them first with flouride gel and let that soak into my teeth for 5 minutes. It hells with sensitivity.

by Anonymousreply 3602/19/2014

[quote]My dental hygienist recommended the Crest White Strips every day

I get pain from Crest White Strips, which is shy I think I am not a good candidate for teeth whitening. I'll have to consult my dentist.

by Anonymousreply 3702/19/2014

shy = why

by Anonymousreply 3802/19/2014

OP, you can ignore all the silliness here. Do you honestly think that anything a dental office would do for the good of your mouth would leave your teeth so unhealthfully vulnerable and damaged that mere food and drink would hurt you?

I strongly suggest a couple of nice tumblers of tomato juice (Bloody Marys would be nice), followed by a great fruit salad of raspberries, blackberries and such, ending with some double espressos and plenty of good chocolates.

by Anonymousreply 3902/19/2014

Doing zoom trays now and my dentist has filled my dead front tooth (accident years ago and it started to turn dark)

I've gone up easily 5+ shades - tomorrow he refills my front tooth and I'm done.

There has been sensitivity but nothing unbearable.

Cost for trays & front tooth work $495 and I have the trays to reuse and still have 2 tubes of whitener for future touch ups.

I'm 43 and very happy with result so far (former smoker but not a red wine drinker)

by Anonymousreply 4002/19/2014

Buy some Sensodyne or Colgate Sensitive toothpaste.

Use it after the whitening and for a few days after, and he pain will hardly be noticeable. Pain killers won't work for it.

by Anonymousreply 4102/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.