Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Adults who are really into Disney...

Creep me the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 13406/29/2014

Have you ever met a gay man who was really into Barbie dolls?

by Anonymousreply 112/07/2010

Agreed. I know a guy who married a girl "right out of high school, so nice and fresh" and they go to DLand every year. Creepy. Does DLand have a rule about adults being accompanied by children? If not, I imagine it is rampant with pedophiles.

by Anonymousreply 212/07/2010

They either didn't really get to have much of a childhood or their childhood was unfortunately the highlight of their lives ("My life peaked at age 8! It was all downhill from there... ")

I admit that I get nostalgic from time to time and I'll look up clips from "The Little Mermaid" or "Sleeping Beauty" on Youtube but I don't plan frequent trips to Disney World or have entire rooms of my house dedicated to "Beauty and the Beast" paraphernalia.

by Anonymousreply 312/07/2010

A guy I dated was friends with this lesbian couple (he grew up with one of them). The first time I met them, they wouldnt shut the fuck up about their perfect Christmas holiday the year before ... at Disney World.

Or as one of them called it "CHreeeestmas with Meeeeeeckey" (she was Cuban).

I thought it was weird that they would spend Christmas day at Disney World. But of course I didnt say anything as they showed me the pics they had. Most were of the two of them in baggy Disney-themed sweatshirts, pneumatic smiles plastered on their faces, posing with the different characters.

by Anonymousreply 412/07/2010

I agree is

by Anonymousreply 512/07/2010

Amen. I love our neighbors, but they have a huge display case filled with crystal Disney figurines as you walk in their house. Eww.

by Anonymousreply 612/07/2010

You queens have an opinion on everything. So tedious. Who gives a sh&t if some adults still love Disneyland. It's a momentary escape from the problems and stress in their lives.

Some people drink or do drugs. What's the harm in spending 1 day a year at Disneyland?

by Anonymousreply 712/07/2010

I met a gay male couple who were obsessed only with the Disney princesses. They would take turns and one might be Jasmine all day, the other Ariel or Belle or Snow White. And they collected all the dolls and themed merchandise. %0D %0D I wonder if they extended this role-playing to the bedroom. Ewww.

by Anonymousreply 812/07/2010

But Disneyland is the Happiest Place On Earth!

by Anonymousreply 912/07/2010

I have a cousin who spent her honeymoon there. about white trash.%0D %0D Also, my partner's sister and husband have vacationed there every year for the past 20 years. They have been absolutely no where else. I think that Auschwitz would be more fun. Seriously.%0D %0D Unless you have a 3 year old (and even then it's debatable), Disney definitely targets the unimaginative, over-weight, middle class of this nation.

by Anonymousreply 1012/07/2010

Nobody is concerned with 1 day a year at Disneyland.

Childless adults with Annual Passes, and rooms devoted to Disney collectibles are the horror story here.

by Anonymousreply 1112/07/2010

I used to be friends with a girl from a "Disney Family." They collected the crap, visited the parks multiple times per year, etc. The mother carried a Mickey Mouse stuffed toy around the house and occasioanlly talked to it in a baby voice: "Does Mickey wanna go to store with Mommy?" It's supposed to be cute and quirky but it's annoying and creepy.%0D %0D For all the "joy" Disney supposedly brought them, they seemed to me like a bunch of zombified depressives. Nice people, though. %0D

by Anonymousreply 1212/07/2010

I think it is a comfort zone for a lot of adults.

It's also a great amusement park.

If there were no Disney products to collect then a lot of these people would be collecting something else - beanie babies, movie memorabilia etc.

by Anonymousreply 1412/07/2010

I have about 5 Disney collectibles and have been to Disneyland as an adult 2 times I think. For me, it definitely is an escape. My job is soul-sucking and dark and I need to balance it with something light-hearted and bright.

by Anonymousreply 1512/07/2010

"and rooms devoted to Disney collectibles are the horror story here."%0D %0D Which reminds me of an episode of "House Hunters" on HGTV a couple of years ago. A woman was searching for a place to buy in order to attended Tulane Law School. %0D %0D She ended up buying a two story town house and every, fucking square inch of that place was covered with Mickey Mouse memorabilia, top to bottom. It was truly the bizzaro world. %0D

by Anonymousreply 1612/07/2010

No, it's weird for any adult to want to spend any amount of time there. There are better thrill rides in other parks. There are better things to do and collect then Disney garbage.

I think the people know the Disney thing is odd, too. Notice the freak at R13, Yeah dude, I don't like Disney so therefore my next stop is raw only glory hole in a prison wall. That's totally logical!

by Anonymousreply 1712/07/2010

How is Disney different than being a big fan of your NFL team with season tickets (or your local high school or college team)? Or read the GLEE threads on here and tell me that's any better than Disney.

Seriously, why is Disney creepier than any other obsession?

by Anonymousreply 1812/07/2010

[quote]I met a gay male couple who were obsessed only with the Disney princesses. They would take turns and one might be Jasmine all day, the other Ariel or Belle or Snow White.

Did they don drag to do this?

by Anonymousreply 1912/07/2010

R18, I think NFL obsession is weird too but it makes sense b/c it's a substitute for war. I'd rather a bunch of rednecks get excited over the Steelers game than get excited about bombing Iran.

I think Glee is lame too but there's just something extra creepy about Disney freaks. I've worked with a few and they're were all crazy in a way that wasn't fun or interesting.

by Anonymousreply 2012/07/2010

"Seriously, why is Disney creepier than any other obsession?"%0D %0D I cannot explain but it is, oh it definitely is creepier. I agree 100% with the OP.

by Anonymousreply 2112/07/2010

Shouldn't this be on the thread about cartoon profile pics on Facebook?

by Anonymousreply 2212/07/2010

I went to grad school in Orange Co. and knew some Disney freaks. I worked with a woman who bought many of her clothes from a Mickey Mouse catalog. Mickey cocktail dresses, Mickey bolo ties, Mickey leather jackets... it was incredibly creepy. %0D %0D There was a thread a year ago about this subject and some posters had either worked at Disney or knew someone who did. They told some great stories about the people who belong to the special club (I think you have to spend over $10000 on merchandise or some BS). And the people who go around the park looking for the hidden mice.

by Anonymousreply 2312/07/2010

I think the problem here is the incredible lack of discernment on this site. There is a huge difference between the person who goes to Disneyland or Disney World once a year, the person who collects Disney memorabilia from the '30s and '40s, the person with a 1/4" scale replica of Disneyland in his back yard (Bobbie Sherman), and the person who hoards everything and anything with a Disney licensed character and has their entire non-work life revolve around all things Disney. It is the difference between a person who has a glass of wine at dinner and a raging alcoholic. The problem is the politically correct yutzes that feel that one is just as valid as the other. As I have posted before, I don't care if collect Hummels if you can talk intelligently about "full bee", "Crown" and TMK4 marks, but people who just acquire stuff to have stuff, have a problem.

by Anonymousreply 2412/07/2010

It's really big in the bear community; tons of guys (no pun intended) are crazy with the Disney stuff.

Also, lots of bears tend to be crazy into the Winnie the Poo thing and Looney Tunes characters.

I'm sort of a bear myself and like other beefy to muscular guys so I'm not sure why this is such a prominent trend among my own crowd, but it is.

by Anonymousreply 2512/07/2010

My 50-year-old sister and her husband - a childless couple by choice - go once a year. She loves it and he indulges her in all aspects of their life. She's not childlike, but her favorite time in life was high school - Grease her favorite movie. She use to have a guest bathroom with a Disney decor. Not creepy, just unusual - and she seems "stuck."

by Anonymousreply 2612/07/2010

My sister knows someone like this, who not only takes his family multiple times a year but can recite obscure Disney factoids as if they're gospel. He also has taken to pretending to be handicapped so that he can skip the traditional long wait for Disney attractions.%0D %0D Do I need to tell you that I've always thought he pinged to high heaven? Clearly living through his small daughter (who is routinely treated to a 'do in the Bippity Boppity Boutique, which my young nephew finds hilarious and never fails to tell everyone about). GROSS.

by Anonymousreply 2712/07/2010

My old boss an his wife are obsessed with Disney - the park, the cruises, the memorabilia etc. They hosted a Christmas party at their house and it was like Mickey hurled. Everything, Everything was Disney based - the decor, the cookware/serving ware, the furniture, everything . . .simply horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 2812/07/2010

[quote]He also has taken to pretending to be handicapped so that he can skip the traditional long wait for Disney attractions.

Doesn't he know that there is a special pass for that, or is he too cheap to spring for it.

by Anonymousreply 2912/07/2010

[quote]It's a lot better than certain members of a community who cruises for sex with strangers. Those are the real horrors.%0D %0D You are incorrect about that.

by Anonymousreply 3012/07/2010

[quote]He also has taken to pretending to be handicapped so that he can skip the traditional long wait for Disney attractions.%0D %0D [quote]Doesn't he know that there is a special pass for that, or is he too cheap to spring for it.%0D %0D Maybe that's what he did--I wasn't there, so didn't see, and maybe didn't hear all of the details correctly. There was a fake handicap involved, which those who witnessed it seemed to think was bad enough (rightly so, no?).

by Anonymousreply 3112/07/2010

My ex-SIL decorated her bedroom in Disney. Disney rugs, bedspread, sheets, lamps, pictures. EVERYTHING.%0D %0D I often wondered if her husband was able to achieve erection in that environment. %0D %0D They had been married 30 years at that point, had a couple of kids.%0D %0D On second thought, maybe she decorated that way because she knew it was boner killer.

by Anonymousreply 3212/07/2010

I always thought that Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and all of those old school Disney characters were darling. %0D %0D So, I have a few bits of old school Disney scattered about as well as a few vintage Mickey Mouse watches. %0D %0D A wee bit of something retro from your childhood is now big deal, imho.

by Anonymousreply 3312/07/2010

"It's a lot better than certain members of a community who cruises for sex with strangers. Those are the real horrors."%0D %0D Good lord on a raft...will ya get a load of this cunt?^%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3412/07/2010

Not Disney, but similar: one of my colleagues, a very no-nonsense woman, is strangely and proudly obsessed with Elmo and even got the character tattooed on her back. I can't pretend to get it, but then again, she would not get why I am into certain things.

by Anonymousreply 3512/07/2010

What about those crazy fraus who collect those dolls that look like real babies and they dress them and everything. Weirdorama! Something totally disturbed about them.

by Anonymousreply 3612/07/2010

It's creepy because it's a symptom of severely arrested development.

Many cases of arrested development are caused by a trauma the person suffered at the age where they seem to be "stuck."

People who are severely traumatized but who haven't dealt with it in any way tend to be creepy people. You know it's true.

by Anonymousreply 3712/07/2010

I go to a Disney park once every 10-15 years. It's fun and a laugh to "be a kid" every once in a while.%0D %0D Does this mean I'm creepy?

by Anonymousreply 3812/07/2010

R38, no. I like amusement parks once in awhile. Can't stand the crowds though since I am something of a misanthrope. To me, the adults who obsessively collect Disney crap are weird though.

by Anonymousreply 3912/07/2010

Looney Tunes people are awful too but Disney weirdos are especially odd.

by Anonymousreply 4012/07/2010

Trips to Disney parks are OK. Wearing Mickey Mouse socks when you're 50 is a tad odd.

by Anonymousreply 4112/07/2010

Teen idol Bobby Sherman, who we now know was fucked by actor Sal Mineo(*) built a Disney Main Street that he kept in his backyard. Built to scale.%0D %0D (*) SAL MINEO, a biography by Michael Gregg Michaud

by Anonymousreply 4212/07/2010

Not according to R17

by Anonymousreply 4312/07/2010

I know a gay couple in NJ who collect teddy bears. I'm sure there are some Disney characters in the mix. They are all kept in their guest bedroom, and yes, it's utterly creepy beyond belief to sleep in that room.%0D Oh, they also take several of these teddies on vacations or cruises whenever they travel.

by Anonymousreply 4412/07/2010

by Anonymousreply 4512/07/2010

I worked with a woman who went to Disneyland every chance she got & always wore Micky Mouse sweatshirts, caps, socks, backpacks, etc. 35-ish Chinese-American childless spinster, living with her widowed mom & never dating. Overweight & homely, not interested in traditional female subjects like cooking & fashion, but claimed to have a crush on various macho actors & singers. Very smart (though no advanced education), excellent worker, pleasant, friendly.

I liked her & didn't think the Disney love was any odder than everything else about her. But I really don't understand what adults without kids see in all that.

by Anonymousreply 4712/07/2010

pedophiles, and/or molestation victims.

by Anonymousreply 4812/07/2010

A former co-worker (a single, gay male who was about 35) had an annual pass to Disneyland and would go there every time he had a day off from work.%0D %0D He explained, "Disneyland is the only place in my life where I really feel happy. The rest of the time I'm just surviving."%0D %0D Once I heard that, I made a more concerted effort to include him in after-work plans to to invite him over anytime we were having a party. %0D %0D A sweet guy, but profoundly lonely and bit too vulnerable for this world.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4912/07/2010

I've posted about this before, but I have an annual Disneyland pass, and I go several times per year.

I have to go to Anaheim/Irvine and Orange County in general for work, so I stay on Harbor Blvd. Across from the park. It's very convenient to the 5 or the 405. In the evening I much prefer to wander over to either the Park or Downtown Disney and eat, walk around, catch the fireworks, maybe watch a show (I almost never ride any rides), and kill time rather than sit in my room or in a bar. If that makes me a freak, so be it.

It is a great place to people watch, and I do admire the job they do keeping it fresh and entertaining. I read somewhere that 7 of the top 10 amusement parks in the world are Disney Properties, and that doesn't happen by accident. They know what they're doing.

I really never notice the freaks everyone is talking about in this thread. I'm sure they're there (someone has to be buying all that shit on Main Street), but they aren't very visible. Maybe they come in the daytime? Other than the fact that a staggering number of visitors are just plain HUGE, it's a pretty normal bunch. Amazing well behaved too. I've never seen anything that required Security or the Police.

by Anonymousreply 5012/07/2010

Every single gay man I've ever known has been obsessed with Tigger. Every one of them. I've known quite a few with Tigger tattoos. I wonder what it is about that particular character.

by Anonymousreply 5212/07/2010

I don't know what it is, R52, but I was a huge Tigger fan as a kid, and long before I saw the Disney version. In the book he's a pain in the ass but you feel sorry for him when Rabbit decides he needs to be taught a lesson.

by Anonymousreply 5312/07/2010

I keep secret the fact that my husband and I have annual passes and go to Disneyland 3-4 times per year. We also went there on our honeymoon (we're a gay couple btw).

Let me tell you that I was extremely suspicious of adults who liked Disney before I started visiting the park. I found Disney corny, greedy and politically conservative (the fetishizing of hetero love in all of their movies is so over-the-top). Disney wasn't even a big part of my childhood, so I had no nostalgia for it. I visited the park only as a favor to my (then) boyfriend.

I can only describe Disneyland's effect on me as magical. I reverted back to my childhood in the best sense of that phrase. The park presents a totally immersive experience, and it draws power from the myths and fairy tales that inform it. The old dark rides--Pinnochio, Mr. Toad, Snow White and especially Peter Pan--are masterpieces of design and are beautiful and sweet. The Matterhorn and Big Thunder Mountain coasters are campy fun. Pirates of the Carribean is amazing--you ride down a flume into a humid subterranean landscape with half-buried skeletons and really warped- looking animatronic figures fighting on enormous, detailed sets.

I get why people are creeped out by adult Disney fans; I don't understand the appeal of collecting Disney stuff, or dressing in the clothing, or getting tattoos or what have you. But being contemptuous of the parks makes no sense either. They are grand achievements filled with superb detail, eye-popping visuals and, if you look for it, sly wit. And there are fireworks every night.

by Anonymousreply 5412/07/2010

to add, I think a lot of kids identify with Tigger because he's a bit of a handful, everyone complaining about how bouncy and active he is.

by Anonymousreply 5512/07/2010

Oh, Mary Poppins!

by Anonymousreply 5612/07/2010

ayb is starting to sound like Kirker.

by Anonymousreply 5712/07/2010

Sometimes I get the irresistible urge to dress up as Tinkerbell. Fortunately it only happens once every couple years.

by Anonymousreply 5812/07/2010

I wish Disneyland was still the same as it was back in the 70's when I used to go, with no California Adventure and all that new stuff, but I guess they had to change with the times.

by Anonymousreply 5912/07/2010

I never really have figured out what is so special about Disney and its parks.%0D %0D I much prefer the old WB/Looney Tunes characters and give me Magic Mountain and Knott's over Disneyland anytime.

by Anonymousreply 6012/07/2010

I would like to go to a theme park inspired by Geek Love.

by Anonymousreply 6112/07/2010

Keep seeing ads for those Disney cruises. Anyone know what those like? Do they have alcohol for the adults?

by Anonymousreply 6212/07/2010

I grew up in the shadow of Disneyland. Evil. Pure evil.

by Anonymousreply 6312/07/2010

Last semester I had a lab class with a fat chick with a full-on beard. Not just a few stray hairs. This bitch had pubes on her face and didn't even try to hide it. She always wore this Eeyore jacket, even during the warm months. I used to call her Winnie the Beard.

To be fair, my mom has a Piglet obsession, and she cried when her sister got her a Piglet ornament last year. Creeped me the fuck out too.

by Anonymousreply 6412/07/2010

Fat chicks with beards usually have PCOS.

by Anonymousreply 6512/07/2010

Love the parks for lots of reasons. There may be more exciting faster rides in other parks, but Disney appeals to me. My favorite roller coasters are Space Mountain (In Disneyland) and California Screamin' because of the music. Each car has it's own speaker and the music is the perfect soundtrack for the ride.

I can't believe more DL queens aren't into the musical aspect of Disney.

I have no stuffed animals, collectibles, memorabilia, etc, but I do have all the CD releases of park music since the 50's. I listen to it and it makes me smile.

Maybe it's because I saw Small World in Queens at the '64 World's Fair when I was 4!

by Anonymousreply 6612/07/2010

r66 better be a parody post.

by Anonymousreply 6712/07/2010

My partner and I have annual passes to Disney World. We live in Orlando and it is just 20 minutes away. We are not collectors of the memorabilia but we do wear the occasional Disney t-shirt. It is just a fun place to go as a couple or with friends and if you live in Orlando someone is always coming to visit that wants to go there. We like to go out there after work and have dinner, maybe see a show or some fireworks. There is nothing creepy about it if you live in this town. In fact, much fun can be had by "drinking around the world" at EPCOT.

by Anonymousreply 6812/07/2010

It's totally creepy. It's like a grown man on a tricycle or an adult woman drinking from a baby bottle.

by Anonymousreply 6912/07/2010

Geek Love or Greek Love, r61?

by Anonymousreply 7012/07/2010

Geek Love, the novel about the sideshow people.

by Anonymousreply 7112/07/2010

Thanks- I had a whole different ride in mind.

by Anonymousreply 7212/07/2010

I love r49. Seriously--how sweet are you?

by Anonymousreply 7312/08/2010

My bf and I are taking my sister's kids on a Disney cruise this spring, and we are bringing my bf's Mom too...she's really into the whole Disney thing. She has a "MICKEY" bathroom, and wears Disney sweatshirts. She also collects the "Limited Edition" watches. (Keep in mind she also collects banks, Barbie Dolls, and has various other "collections" of tchochkiez all over her trailor. She's a sweetheart, and seems to enjoy it, so...(meh). (She's never been to Disneyland or world).%0D %0D We don't get into the Disney thing, I just thought it would be a fun time with family and the kids and my Mom-in-Law are looking forward to it. It was either Disney or Royal Carribean, but I figured why not Disney?

by Anonymousreply 7412/08/2010

The secret club at Disneyland is called "Club 33".

[quote]As of 2010, there is a 14 year wait list for membership and it is closed to new additions. It only allows 487 members. Members pay an initiation fee of $27,500 (if they are a corporation) or $10,450 (for individuals). On top of that, they pay annual fees of about $6,100 or $3,275, respectively.

by Anonymousreply 7512/08/2010

If you're taking kids on a cruise, nobody does it better than Disney.

You can ditch the kids all day and they won't even miss you.

by Anonymousreply 7612/08/2010

R57 you take that back!

To be fair, I have heard from adults that Disney World has a lot of cool rides- adults that don't really like Disney characters, that is.

I just don't like the newer films.

by Anonymousreply 7712/08/2010

[quote]Keep seeing ads for those Disney cruises. Anyone know what those like? Do they have alcohol for the adults?%0D %0D I should think ample alcohol is considered non-negotiable by even the most ardent Disneyphiles.

by Anonymousreply 7812/08/2010

I think this is a weirdness that tends to intersect with Furries.%0D

by Anonymousreply 7912/08/2010

any obbsession is bad i guess but at least football is for men. haha

by Anonymousreply 8003/05/2012

I knew someone who had a Psycho themed bathroom. I was a little afraid to ask if he had a fruit cellar.

by Anonymousreply 8103/05/2012

I have a friend who is obsessed with The Simpsons. Watching them is one thing. But any claim to coolness they might have for their satirical edge is somewhat tempered by the fact that there is an absolute shit-ton of Simpsons-related merchandise out there for your purchasing pleasure. You have no idea. I marvel at the amount of satisfaction my friend derives from all that molded yellow plastic.

by Anonymousreply 8203/05/2012

I put this in the same category with people who go overboard for Christmas - 8 Christmas trees decorated with different themes, etc.

Of my close friends:

-1 gay man obsessed with Disney -1 lesbian obsessed with Disney - 2 gay couples obsessed with Christmas - 1 straight guy who collects action figures "to resell"

by Anonymousreply 8303/05/2012

Oh hell yes OP, I co-sign this.

by Anonymousreply 8403/05/2012

Add my name to your petition, please, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8503/05/2012

I am so with you, OP. After reading this thread, I'm a little less judgmental of adults who like the amusement parks, sans the collection mania. It sounds like an equal access gated community, where you don't have to worry about reality or everyday stressors. I'd rather find that on a beach or in the mountains, but I do understand escapism. I find the Disney gestalt unappealing to the point of creepiness, but obviously it has some compelling cultural resonance for a lot of people.

I do remain profoundly grateful that my parents restricted TV time in our household, and surrounded us with books.

by Anonymousreply 8603/05/2012

Point being that supplanting TV with books meant my childhood exposure to the Pooh and Arthurian characters came via Milne and TH White, not the repellant (to me) Disney versions.

by Anonymousreply 8703/05/2012

Somebody needs to 'splain to R15 that Disney is a soul-sucking evil corporation, the same as wherever it is you work.

by Anonymousreply 8803/05/2012

Only effeminate.

by Anonymousreply 8903/07/2012

I just assume they're pedophiles and steer clear.

by Anonymousreply 9003/07/2012

by Anonymousreply 9103/07/2012

by Anonymousreply 9210/08/2013

This thread makes me feel bad. My nephew bought me some 3d nintendo game machine thing with Mario games last Xmas. For about 2 weeks I played the hell out of that machine.

by Anonymousreply 9310/08/2013

I'm a brony. I don't know if this falls into the same category that OP is criticizing.

by Anonymousreply 9410/08/2013

I'm really wanting to go see "Escape from Tomorrow" that indie movie that was secretly filmed at Disneyland.

I heard it's really fu ked up what they got away with filming.

by Anonymousreply 9510/08/2013

I just saw "Tangled" again, and damn it's a good movie!

Fuck the joyless Disney haters, some of their stuff is good!

by Anonymousreply 9610/09/2013

[quote]If not, I imagine it is rampant with pedophiles.

I've always wanted to go to Legoland, but I don't have any kids or nieces/nephews, so I've never gone because I don't want people to think I'm a child molester!

by Anonymousreply 9811/02/2013

I keep seeing middle-aged women in Eeyore shirts.

by Anonymousreply 9911/02/2013

[quote] He also has taken to pretending to be handicapped so that he can skip the traditional long wait for Disney attractions

A lot of people do this. It got to be such a problem that Disney has halted the program that lets disabled people skip the line

by Anonymousreply 10011/02/2013

America's leading Disney nerd remodels his house -- and it actually isn't creepy.

by Anonymousreply 10106/27/2014

[qupte]If you're taking kids on a cruise, nobody does it better than Disney. You can ditch the kids all day and they won't even miss you.

Which is why it totally SUCKS. I got tricked into going with some family members one time. I know first hand what it's like.

They have a day care to drop off the kids if you want staffed with like 30 women. The only thing is, no one drops their kids off when they can just let them run free on the ship like rats.

Basically, the parents figure the kids cant go far on a ship so they cut them loose and do nothing to control them. Its like Chuck-e-Cheese on Tina.

by Anonymousreply 10206/27/2014

My sister and her husband of 30 years as well as their two adult kids are all Disney obsessed. They even drive around with like 20 stuffed animals in the back window of their car.

Family gatherings at their house are quite odd. Especially Christmas when I am expected to know the latest character even though no one in the room is under 25 years old.

Worst of all, one of the kids who just got married did the same thing, met a guy in college and proposed at Disneyland. Oh and they all have annual passes.

Why do they not see this is bizarre?

by Anonymousreply 10306/27/2014

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 10406/27/2014

They are invading my neighborhood with a Florida type apartment house, all fake theme facade on a concrete box.

by Anonymousreply 10506/27/2014

I bet the people R103 described are also furries.

by Anonymousreply 10606/27/2014

Disney couple bits are at the beginning and end. By the way, "thick" means "dumb".

by Anonymousreply 10706/27/2014

Personally, I love the jacked up looking Mickeys, the crackhead Minnies and ratchet Ariel murals you see from time to time on sleazy daycare centers in East LA.

If you think civilians who are into Disney are weird, you should meet the people who work for their studio (and actually "believe" in Disney, as opposed to faking it for a paycheck).

by Anonymousreply 10806/27/2014

Creepier than we even thought.

by Anonymousreply 10906/27/2014

The same with adults that are into Harry Potter.

by Anonymousreply 11006/27/2014

Walt Disney was the bastard son of a Spaniard--hence the latino-looking face.

Disney is the most successful Hispanic-created business in the world.

Disney is not illuminati, but they are strange and really hard-ass to work for.

by Anonymousreply 11106/27/2014

Disney was a Mason, R111, and his early cartoons are full of their beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 11206/27/2014

As a kid I always thought that Walt Disney looked like Caesar Romero crossed with Xavier Cugat.

by Anonymousreply 11306/27/2014

Walt was the son of Irish immigrants, not Spaniards. But yes I agree he had a Latino looking face. Walt's mother Flora looked like black Irish.

by Anonymousreply 11406/27/2014

Many of the Spanish Catholics who came to the southwest early on started Freemasonry Halls.

I don't know what-all is wrong with Freemasonry, but I don't attribute it to Satanism, like with that fuckhead Jimmy Saville.

by Anonymousreply 11506/27/2014

R114, that is the official American story, but many Spaniards know it to be true.

by Anonymousreply 11706/27/2014

[quote]Hence Walt's love of Hitler.

Really, R116?

by Anonymousreply 11806/27/2014

Ah yes, straight guys who dream of fucking the Little Mermaid.

by Anonymousreply 11906/27/2014

I remember his television shows about nature and they were exquisitely dull. I vowed never to go camping, fishing, or hiking after watching those bore-fests.

Mutual of Omaha's something or other, but the Pabst Blue ribbon beer commercials were awesome.

by Anonymousreply 12006/27/2014

Oh and that awful Davy Crockett series, or was it Daniel Boone?

by Anonymousreply 12106/27/2014

Davy Crockett was a homosexual alpha male. Daniel Boone was just an illiterate thug.

by Anonymousreply 12206/28/2014

My parents are adults who love Disney - I can remember years in middle school of which I spent a full month at WDW, in four week+-long trips.

Though I can recognize a love of Disney parks and movies as something one acquires before developing critical faculties, anyone could do a lot worse than to take a relaxing vacation at any of the Disney resorts - Fort Wilderness campground in particular.

by Anonymousreply 12306/28/2014

[quote] I remember his television shows about nature and they were exquisitely dull. I vowed never to go camping, fishing, or hiking after watching those bore-fests.

Oh come on, you loved Charlie the Lonesome Cougar, admit it. And when those crazy raccoons got into the house and spilled all the flour and stuff--well, you know that was a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 12406/28/2014

Those Disney nature movies make me hungry.

by Anonymousreply 12506/28/2014

For the Haters.

by Anonymousreply 12606/29/2014

[quote] I can remember years in middle school of which I spent a full month at WDW, in four week+-long trips.

You should write your memoirs.

I'd buy it. Sounds fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 12706/29/2014

Disney was part of my cultural life as a kid in the 60s.

Saw Mary Poppins a couple of times when it came out(we even went on a class trip to see it,) went on the Disney created rides at the NY World's Fair, would go to see the periodically re-released classics and would watch the Wonderful World of Color in b and w every Sunday night.

I do go to Disney World every few year and enjoy it immensely partly out of nostalgia. But I don't need to collect stuff or go there constantly.

In the 70s there was only The Magic Kingdom. It was very secluded so it had a certain magic that cannot be recaptured and there was no cross merchandising with other brands so it was pure Disney. Starbucks is now on Main Street and to my chagrin was always packed. Also the rides created after Thunder Mountain are pure Palisades Park.

My favorite used to be Space Mountain but they perversely ruined it and I have no idea why.

Still staying at Wilderness Lodge is great, Le Cellier has the best fillet mignon and Ohana has a dessert so delicious it is obscene.

by Anonymousreply 12806/29/2014

which part R127, sexing on a towel in Injun Joe's Cave, swapping with a guy my age (16) at the Contemporary tennis courts at night, or the creepy Saddam lookalike that followed me for the better part of an afternoon at Typhoon Lagoon? he later hit off with some white dude and they headed for the changing/locker room.

by Anonymousreply 12906/29/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!