Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Linda Ronstadt rocking "How Do I Make You" from the MAD LOVE album

She looks serious and her voice as usual is awesome! Wendy Waldman needs a new stylist.

by Anonymousreply 2603/11/2013

Great song, but leave Wendy alone!

by Anonymousreply 112/06/2010

But didn't she get the memo: "Dress: L.A. New Wave."

by Anonymousreply 212/06/2010

Songwriter Billy Steinberg is featured on guitar, he's the skinny guy on Linda's right. This was his first major songwriting success, this song sold to Linda.

by Anonymousreply 312/06/2010

The band sounds great, but Linda just sounds so shrill and unnatural to me. Out of her comfort zone. %0D %0D And speaking of "out of her comfort zone," Waldman isn't even able to clap on the beat!

by Anonymousreply 412/06/2010

Linda Ronstadt was total Mom Music.

by Anonymousreply 512/06/2010

I think she sounds great. Very into it. She's certainly more of a versatile artist than any of the young female singers around today and deserves to be in Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

by Anonymousreply 612/07/2010

Agreed. It is ridiculous that she in not in the Hall of Fame.

by Anonymousreply 712/07/2010

She's talented, but she had absolutely no street cred as a rock singer (and she knew it)

by Anonymousreply 812/07/2010

Linda could sing anything, including rock. Her Tumbling Dice and Livin in the USA, for two examples, work for me.

by Anonymousreply 912/07/2010

She's believable as a rock singer, Mick Jagger told her after her show she should do more rock songs instead of ballads. So he wrote down the words to "Tumblin' Dice" and she recorded it. Even Rolling Stone said her version had more fire than the orig. She has the requisite anger and volume to be a rocker. I know she doesn't like to rock now, however, her voice is still very strong. I've seen her live twice in recent years.

by Anonymousreply 1012/07/2010

If only her career were as big as her.

by Anonymousreply 1112/07/2010

I think she is a good rock singer, but although I like "How Do I Make You", I'm not sure the song was the bast fit for her. I think she seems most at home belting Mexican music. Like her or not, you have to admit she has had a very varied career. I don't think any of her contemporaries can match her range.

by Anonymousreply 1212/07/2010

If only Carly's career were as big as her lips.

by Anonymousreply 1312/07/2010

I wish she'd do a greatest hits show at The Castro. Doesn't she live in Pacific Heights?

by Anonymousreply 1412/10/2010

This must have been right about the time that the fajitas started to take their toll.

by Anonymousreply 1512/10/2010

"It is ridiculous that she in not in the Hall of Fame."

Poor dear can't fit through the doors.

by Anonymousreply 1612/10/2010

She really had it all, a powerful and versatile voice, a likeable image, sold out arena shows. Makes you long for the 70s when people had talent instead of autotune.

by Anonymousreply 1712/10/2010

The best cut from [italic]Mad Love:[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 1803/09/2013

This looks like it was the year she started to chunk out.

by Anonymousreply 1903/09/2013

What year was this?

by Anonymousreply 2003/10/2013

Linda can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned, but if I remember correctly, this album was kind of an attempt to keep up with the edgy 80s fad in music, which was a mistake, but she still produced a good album.

by Anonymousreply 2103/10/2013

"Linda could sing anything, including rock. Her Tumbling Dice and Livin in the USA, for two examples, work for me."

Uh, no she couldn't. She was hopeless singing rock and roll and "new wave." Her version of "Tumbling Dice" is considered atrocious. She did girly, cutesy versions of Elvis Costello songs like "Girls Talk" and "Alison." He said her versions were awful, but hey, it was more money in the bank for him. A critic put it quite simply: her voice is very pretty but she doesn't have the depth or range to do anything really well except ballads and country songs.

by Anonymousreply 2203/10/2013

Of course she was a credible rock singer. Mad Love was a very popular album.

by Anonymousreply 2303/10/2013

Alison was an odd choice.

by Anonymousreply 2403/10/2013

Mad Love is a great album.

by Anonymousreply 2503/10/2013

How Do I Make You is NOT a rock song. It's New Wave, totally different head, totally.

As for Billy SteinJew, he was worthless without CHRISTIAN Tom Kelly.

Together SteinJew and Tom Kelly wrote

Like A Virgin

True Colors

So Emotional

The Eternal Flame

I Touch My Self

And a host of others.

by Anonymousreply 2603/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!