Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Celebrites who hate their fans

I'm not talking about occasionally refusing to sign an autograph or getting nasty about being disturbed in a restaurant. Everyone is entitled to a bad day. I mean those celebrities who seem to have utter contempt for their fans and who want nothing to do with them.%0D %0D People like Madonna, Streisand, Whitney Houston, I've heard countless stories of them just being mean to average, everyday fans. Even in concert, it's like a wall is constructed between them and the audience. They never really go out of their way for them. %0D %0D Why? Not saying they should bend over backwards, but those fans helped get them to where they are today. Is it too much to ask to be a little gracious. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 41602/16/2015

That's funny r1. Considering his field of comedy. That should be no surprise.

by Anonymousreply 212/04/2010

So tired of people saying that Streisand hates her fans or doesn't go out of her way for them.%0D %0D It's just not true. Stuff like this takes on a life of its own and keeps getting repeated. DLers are as bad as anyone else for repeating non-substantiated crap.

by Anonymousreply 312/04/2010

Back when Justin Timberlake was a hot singer, there were numerous stories about him being nasty to his fangirls.%0D %0D He's suck a little prick.

by Anonymousreply 412/04/2010

Didn't Sharon Stone once offer a small boy who asked for her autograph a five dollar bill instead?

by Anonymousreply 512/04/2010

Not that Halle Berry has crowds of fans following her, but she can be down right cunty if you look at her too long.

by Anonymousreply 912/04/2010

I once heard many years ago that someone asked Tony Danza for his autograph, and he said, you want my autograph? here, sign it with this, and he gave the person the middle finger. He is a looser no talent who thinks he is hot stuff in his tiny mindset.

by Anonymousreply 1012/04/2010

Jane Fonda was bitchy to me once.

by Anonymousreply 1112/04/2010

In defense to Will Ferrell he explained that he is choosy when giving out autographs, because of the professional autograph seekers who turn around and sell his autograph on eBay. If he knows it isn't going to be flipped and sold on-line, he is happy to sign as many autographs as possible.

by Anonymousreply 1412/04/2010

So is Streisand getting away with not having to do a book-signing tour for her $60 design book?

by Anonymousreply 1812/04/2010

I call making eye contact with me intrusive.

by Anonymousreply 2012/04/2010

Boy George was nasty to his American fans. Now his life sucks.

by Anonymousreply 2112/04/2010

Patrick Stewart hates his Star Trek fans, without realizing of course, without them, no one would know who the fuck he was.

by Anonymousreply 2212/04/2010

They probably all their hate their fans. You would, too.

by Anonymousreply 2312/04/2010

"They probably all their hate their fans. You would, too."%0D %0D %0D %0D I wouldn't hate the people who made me into a millionaire.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2412/04/2010

Had a fabulous run-in (literally) with Jane Fonda, when she was here doing that Variations show a few years ago. Didn't ask for an autograph, of course, since that's for flyover people.

by Anonymousreply 2512/04/2010

Can you tell us more, r25?

by Anonymousreply 2612/04/2010

In all honesty, I don't expect performers to be too chatty and in the socializing mood after a play or a concert which can be very emotionally and physically draining. The last thing they want after that is to sign autographs. Many will oblige but I don't hold it against them if they are not in the mood to. Their obligation to fans is to give 100% when performing and anything above that is a bonus.

by Anonymousreply 2712/04/2010

r26, it was nothing too special. She'd been in a meeting in the same building I worked in. I literally bumped into her as I was walking in (she was chatting with three other elderly ladies). I was very conciliatory (if annoyed they were in my way), and she was effusively apologetic and charming about their being in the way, and moved her party along, but not before putting her arm on my shoulder and saying "Thank you for being so polite" as she swept by me. I was utterly impressed by the lack of celeb to her.

by Anonymousreply 2812/04/2010

who cares

by Anonymousreply 2912/04/2010

I never got the whole autograph thing. Unless it's on a check, what good is it, other than to give a fan an opportunity to speak with a star? What do people do with them? Use them as bookmarks? Display them in decorative frames?

by Anonymousreply 3012/05/2010

"What do people do with them? Use them as bookmarks? Display them in decorative frames?"%0D %0D %0D %0D They use it as a memento. "Hey, remember when I met so-and-so!"%0D %0D %0D %0D But some people do sell them on ebay (as mentioned above) %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3112/05/2010

I don't ask for autographs because what are they for? To prove you met someone. I have one autograph someone else got for me but that is it. I have a friend who works in LA and meets a lot of celebs. When I go visit I get a chance to meet/see some too. I just smile and thank them for what they have done. I try to be nice and pleasant and not get in their faces. Many of them seem to be almost shy when confronted with real people. Or as if they have a nice little shell they wear. I loved Soupy Sales. Met him a few times and he was a funny guy. Always had a joke to share.

by Anonymousreply 3212/05/2010

"Celebrities" sh@t too and have to wipe the muck from their arse. They make a career out of pretending and appeasing their ego. No way would I treat them any different than any other Joe on the street. Those that do have simple minds and hark from a pitifully small world. If "celebrities" someday discover a cure for cancer or did anything truly meaningful to help mankind, I would treat them as special. But they have not and are not.

by Anonymousreply 3412/05/2010

Considering that he has one of the most ardent groups of fans on the planet, Clay Aiken treats his "Claymates" very poorly. Unlike many celebs who twitter or blog seasonal greetings, Aiken can't be bothered to even write a cursory two word note like "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Thanksgiving." In fact, the only time he blogs is when he wants his fans to spend more money on a recording or tour. He's been known to make rude personal remarks right to their faces and they laugh it off as if it's funny.

by Anonymousreply 3512/05/2010

I can't blame anybody for hating the loss of privacy brought on by fame. I'm sure I would hate being interrupted when I was trying to eat, shop or visit with friends by people wanting to spend a moment with me or asking for my autograph. It's one thing when to talk to people at a book signing or even after a performance because those are staged public appearances, but when a person is relaxing and going on with daily life, those would be an unwelcome intrusions. Having people stare would be downright creepy. Total strangers working at making eye contact would probably feel very intrusive. I don't believe celebrities owe it to the public to make themselves constantly available. I don't blame them for being rude when members of the public are so rude as to intrude on their lives. If I felt an overwhelming need to tell a celebrity how much I appreciate his or her performance, I would send a note.

by Anonymousreply 3612/05/2010

R34, I totally agree.%0D %0D I know it will never happen but we as a society really need to get over this notion that celebrities are somehow above the rest of mankind just because they made it in show business. They're just regular people who got extremely lucky in life, a description that applies just as much to the talented as the untalented -- i.e., all they needed to get was a break and they got one (because I'm sure there are many gifted wannabes stuck in flyover land who are there simply because they never could, not because they didn't have the talent).%0D %0D Don't get me wrong -- I don't like psycho fans either and think they give the really sane fans a bad name (and like many of you, I will never get the whole autograph thing; I live in NYC, have met many celebrities, and never asked a one of them for an autograph because it's all pretty silly if you ask me); however, I don't think it would kill some of these so-called "stars," if approached in a proper and respectful manner, to acknowledge the people most responsible for the wonderful life they're living in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 3812/05/2010

Sorry, but they wanted to be famous, and the price of fame is that people recognize you in public. If they didn't want to be famous they should never have been entertainers in the first place. The end.

by Anonymousreply 3912/05/2010

Well i'm pretty sure that Kristen Stewart and Rob Pattinson do, but can you blame them. I mean have you seen the twihards. Psychotically obsessed and delusional tween girls and middle aged women who probably stalk premieres to try and steal strands of their hair or used kleenex. Their probable hatred is justified, imo.

by Anonymousreply 4112/05/2010

R39 and R40 both hit the nail on the head.

by Anonymousreply 4212/05/2010

[quote]Considering that he has one of the most ardent groups of fans on the planet, Clay Aiken treats his "Claymates" very poorly. Unlike many celebs who twitter or blog seasonal greetings, Aiken can't be bothered to even write a cursory two word note like "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Thanksgiving."

What is the sound of a former Claymate's heart breaking?

by Anonymousreply 4312/05/2010

Nom nom nom.

by Anonymousreply 4412/05/2010

[quote]I don't really get obsessive fandom, but it's a stretch to call asking for an autograph intrusive Yes but, when it happens a dozen times a day when you're eating or shopping with your kids it must get very annoying.

by Anonymousreply 4512/05/2010

[quote]If they didn't want to be famous they should never have been entertainers in the first place. I'm sorry but i know a number of actors, musicians and artists. None of them joined their professions because they wanted to be famous. They did it because they love what they do and wanted a job which used their particular skills.

by Anonymousreply 4612/05/2010

Time to slop the hogs!

by Anonymousreply 4712/05/2010

OMG R16, you may have a dreaded malady called - being normal.

by Anonymousreply 4812/05/2010

The problem is if they sign one autograph (or take one picture or have one conversation) then they might end up having to sign dozens. They really can't accommodate all their fans so to be fair some celebs may just say no to everyone. But that's not to say you should never approach a celeb. You just need to gauge the situation. Never interrupt someone's meal but if you're all waiting at the valet together you could say something. And you can usually tell who is receptive to being approached and who is doing everything they can to appear standoffish.

by Anonymousreply 5012/05/2010

There is a show on a Dutch trash TV channel called "FANS." They always feature a mentally challenged adult who's obsessed with some celebrity. In this clip, a 50-something, obese frau and her teenage daughter are shown at the concert of twinky teen pop idol Thomas Berge. It's cringe-inducing - the woman is infatuated with the singer and he is obviously freaked out by her.

by Anonymousreply 5112/05/2010

I totally agree with R39 and R40 as well. Also, who cares about these average slobs in Hollywood today? They are like an average person that you would see shopping at your local supermarket, Bor-ing!

by Anonymousreply 5212/05/2010

[quote]I'm sorry but i know a number of actors, musicians and artists. None of them joined their professions because they wanted to be famous. They did it because they love what they do and wanted a job which used their particular skills.%0D %0D That's excuse Whitney Houston used. She told an interviewer that all she wanted to do was sing, even if it was in a choir or the subway, and didn't sign up for the celebrity or to become a tabloid target.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5512/05/2010

[quote]I'm sorry but i know a number of actors, musicians and artists. None of them joined their professions because they wanted to be famous. They did it because they love what they do and wanted a job which used their particular skills.

Oh please, Mary. 99% of celebs are textbook narcissists. All that 'I just want to practice my craft' stuff is bunk. They want attention, money, and the high life. Period.

by Anonymousreply 5612/05/2010

[quote]I loved Soupy Sales. Met him a few times and he was a funny guy. Always had a joke to share.%0D %0D How fucking old are you?

by Anonymousreply 5712/05/2010

Notice, R56, I didn't say celebrities. I said actors, musicians and artists. Celebrities are a different kettle of fish.

by Anonymousreply 5812/05/2010

'Looser' than what, r10?

by Anonymousreply 5912/05/2010

Yes, that is true R56, but in their fantasies of fame most celebs probably imagined their fans would be young, thin, gorgeous and hip. They probably also assumed they would be psycologically balanced and not cross certain boudaries. They never signed up for all the stalking, obsessed, 50 year old obese fruas and their sweaty, bald husbands. It must be a shock when they learn these are their most ardent fans.

by Anonymousreply 6012/05/2010

I don't blame Streisand for hating her fans. Read some of this shit from those losers:

by Anonymousreply 6212/05/2010

You expect me to ignore my fans? They're life and death to me, baby!

by Anonymousreply 6312/05/2010

"I'm sorry but i know a number of actors, musicians and artists. None of them joined their professions because they wanted to be famous. They did it because they love what they do and wanted a job which used their particular skills."

I find it hard to believe that people who become famous for any reason....actors/actresses. musicians, authors, basically any area of entertainment....really can not comprehend that fans are a large part of their fame and are the reason they're wealthy.

Of course, that doesn't give the fans the right to stalk them or try to become a celebs friend, on the other hand what does it take to be gracious, especially if a fan is not aggressive or bothering them while they're having dinner etc?

When I read that so and so has been extremely rude to a child fan, it really infuriates me. Without these fans most of these people would be very living ordinary lives back in the hick states they came from. They must realize this?

I live in NYC, I see celebs on the streets all the time, I never approach them, let alone ask for autographs. Who cares.

I love the way they go out of their way to look so messy! It screams: "LOOK AT ME!" They wear their super large dark sunglasses, why not wear regular size sunglasses if you don't want people to try to figure out 'who' you are!? Some celebs crave attention!

Due to the business I work in, I actually deal with many celebs. Some are kind of shocked that many of the people in my field aren't fawning over them more. Why should we? I'm there to work, not kiss their asses.

I don't put these people on a pedestal, as someone else pointed out here....they are just like you and me, just very lucky. Just because someone is a great actor or great author, it doesn't mean they should be treated as if they're curing AIDS or cancer! They are not.

To be honest I'm so sick of the celebrity driven culture we are now entrenched in...who gives a flying fuck about these so called non-entities on 'reality' shows. WHO are these people and WHY do we care?

Are our own lives so dull, we need to watch the mundane overly shallow lives of bunch of overindulged 'housewives' and 'celebutants' from wherever? Count me out. I have my own life to live.

I was channel surfing the other day, I saw a brief clip of a woman named Jill Zarin, is she a 'housewife'? She had a super grating New Yawk accent, she wasn't particularly pretty. She didn't seem too special to me, she sounded like any typical spoiled NY Jappy woman you'd find shopping at a mall filled with designer shops.

Yet there she was barking orders to people in her apartment and having her dog lick her nostrils! THIS is entertainment? WHY does anyone watch this shit?

by Anonymousreply 6512/05/2010

Thanks, R25. She sounds gracious.

by Anonymousreply 6612/05/2010

R65, nothing you've said in that diatribe was new or interesting. Seems that you crave attention too, dear.

by Anonymousreply 6712/05/2010

I don't understand how todays so-called "stars" can treat their fans with such disdain. They are what me.

by Anonymousreply 6812/05/2010

"[R65], nothing you've said in that diatribe was new or interesting. Seems that you crave attention too, dear."

WOW, great comeback asshole....what's the problem, why not add something constructive to this thread instead of putting down my opinions?

As a native New Yorker, I can SEE the culture of instant fame is now entrenched in PURE TRASH.

Who cares about a bunch of nouveau riche trashy women who call themselves socialites or 'housewives'. None of them are interesting enough to warrant this attention, they're simply a bunch of women with too much time and someone else's money on their hands!

I'd rather see a show about actual housewives. Cameras should follow some hardworking REAL women around, women who try to balance a crappy tedious unglamorous job with raising their kids, taking care of a home and trying to be sexy for their husbands after an exhausting day of office bullshit, now that would be actual REALITY. And no dear, I'm NOT a frau.

I always laugh when the cover of PEOPLE presents some female celebrity with a nanny, maid and stylist as a hardworking mom who looks fabulous at 40, give me a break! We'd ALL look fabulous at 40 if we had all that help let alone all that money!

Reality TV has nothing to do with most people's reality and YOU know it, 'dear'.

As for these NY housewives, new money always reeks of utter desperation to belong to something they know deep down inside they will NEVER belong to.

by Anonymousreply 6912/05/2010

[R69] MARY!

by Anonymousreply 7012/05/2010

[quote]They wear their super large dark sunglasses, why not wear regular size sunglasses if you don't want people to try to figure out 'who' you are!? Some celebs crave attention!

Celeste Talbert?! Is that you?

by Anonymousreply 7312/05/2010

Let me guess, 67 and 72 is the same nasty expected troll.

Deep, insightful, intelligent and well written responses don't seem to be your forte, huh doll?

by Anonymousreply 7512/05/2010

Whadddya mean? I am thankful for all the millions of little people who are my fans...just as long as they stay far away from me.

by Anonymousreply 7612/05/2010

What does it even mean to be a "celebrity" at this day and age? Being on some bottom of the barrel reality show on E!, Logo, or Lifetime? An interchangeable cast member on one of those shitty CW series for teens and young adults? Unless you're a shut in who obsessively watches TV the entire day the chances are you wouldn't know 70% of the people covered by TMZ, gossip sites, and such.

by Anonymousreply 7712/05/2010

Oh please, R 74. I'm no Madonna fan and love to dish on her myself, but even I can't buy that stupid story. No one would ever say "you mean nothing to me" to two children. Your so called "biographer" apparently never learned that less is more. If you want to slander someone, subtlety is key.

by Anonymousreply 7812/05/2010

I work peripherally with actors, and fans are very intrusive, constantly. Not only fans, but lookly-loos who are not fans, but want to get in on the action (because humans are lemmings). Then add paparazzi. It looks like dogs chasing prey. To have these people around wherever you go is mentally tiring- I can see why celebs are rude. But when I do see one that is kind (Travolta, pre trial OJ Simpson, Rihanna), it always amazes me.

by Anonymousreply 7912/05/2010

I'm not going to put you down R74, because a close friend used to hang with the insane bitch known as 'Madonna".

He said she's one of the most self absorbed, self involved insecure people he's ever known. My friend is no starry eyed club kid or hanger-on, he's in his 50s, is from money and has dealt with rich people, as well as celebrities, for many years due to working in real estate.

Two close friends of his were very close to Madonna for many years, that's how he became friendly with her. I can't mention the friend's names because they are famous. Madonna is no longer close to any of these people, including my friend. She is actually incapable of deep friendships.

My friend attended her infamous New Years Eve party, the one where she walked around topless after midnight. He was shocked at how cheap she was, there was hardly any food and crappy liquor. She was walking around telling people not to damage her furniture or expensive sound system. The atmosphere was hardly festive.

A heavy female guest accidently bumped into the stereo cabinet, Madonna went ballistic. She embarrassed the woman, calling her vile names relating to her weight. What a lovely caring woman.

Nothing about Madonna shocks me, because I've heard all these tales many years ago. People like her, do not change. She must be a complete horror to be around. People who put up with her shit are mostly on her payroll. My friend has photos of her without makeup etc, he could have made a ton off this photos at the time, but he chose not to.

She must realize she can never have a true friendship at this point in her life. especially with ordinary people because these people want to use her to get their own fame.

Her last Boy Toy, the Brazilian stud Jesus Luz was a perfect example of people using her. He has already moved on, he got all he wanted from her, connections.

by Anonymousreply 8112/05/2010

r77, I think "celebrity" means the same thing it always has: to be celebrated, even if it's for 15 minutes. With the internet and reality TV, we have more avenues for celebrities. They can extend their 15 minutes. "Star" still has a different connotation, and all those people you mentioned are not stars. Most people know the difference.

by Anonymousreply 8212/05/2010

My friend and I had a very pleasant experience with Alanis Morissette around '96-'97 when she was arguably one of the biggest pop stars around. We went into a store in Toronto and she was there looking at some tchotchkes. My friend, who was a fan, approached her and started telling her how much he loved her album, etc, and she was very sweet, saying "Thank you, it's so nice to hear something like that", chatted with him fora minute or so and, in the end, shook hands with him before we left.

by Anonymousreply 8312/05/2010

Agree with R80. Celebs go where they will be seen--certain restaurants, etc. They know the paps will be there. %0D %0D The stars that truly value their privacy (and want their kids to grow up normal) don't live in Hollywood or NYC. Meryl Streep (Connecticut) and Sissy Spacek (Virginia) come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 8412/05/2010

[quote]This myth of celebrities not being able to live a normal life is a bunch of crap.

It does depend on the circumstances though. My neighbour is an actor, not good, not bad, just the sort of middle aged man who plays judges and senior policemen on UK television. When he's not 'working' he has an ordinary job to make money. However he has a friend who is a well known soap actress who occasionally stays with him and his wife - they were at drama school together. There have been times when the paps have followed her down from London, camped out on the pavement in front of my house and had to be forceably ejected from my garden simply because they were trying to 'prove' she was having an affair. As far as I can see, even when she is visiting friends she is not able to live a normal life, and nor are those who are her friends and neighbours at certain times.

She's a lovely woman, not having an affair and she genuinely gets upset by the attention she gets from the paps and 'fans' while she isn't working. She once had an autograph hunter approach her at a funeral and another time when she was taking her daughter to hospital. She'd be happy if people just approached her after shows for autographs but neither 'fans' nor the paps are content with this.

by Anonymousreply 8512/05/2010

[quote]Buying tickets to a actor's movies does not entitle a person to violate the celebrity's privacy.%0D %0D R53, I don't think anyone is saying this, just that it doesn't kill a celebrity to be gracious to a fan who approaches them in a kind and respectful manner (i.e., not interrupting their dinner or jumping up and down screaming like a maniac upon recognizing them).%0D %0D [quote]The argument that celebrities sought their fame is quite likely to be untrue.%0D %0D Every story I've ever heard about Madonna since I've lived in NYC, from people who were there back in the day when she was a struggling singer and dancer in the club scene here, was that all she cared about more than anything was being rich and famous (too bad that never worked out for her, poor thing). And though there's certainly nothing wrong with that, this notion that stars who claim to hate the attention never wanted to be famous is just somewhat naive to me (and I mean that in general, R53, not as an insult directed at you personally). R80 and R84 each really made excellent points in this regard.%0D %0D I think about that great scholar Henry Winkler who said a million years ago on the Carson show (back when he was the hottest thing on TV as the Fonz) that even though being stopped everywhere you go can get tiresome, "anybody in our business who says they never like being recognized is lying through their teeth."

by Anonymousreply 8612/05/2010

Yeah, Robert Pattinson seems to be cracking under the pressure of fan adoration. The "Twilight" franchise attracts nutballs like chocolate-flavored flypaper, and they don't just bother him in person. From what I've seen of the "fauxmance" threads, every move he makes is noted and broadcast to the entire fandom.%0D %0D And now he's made the situation worse by pretending to be dating the babydyke, and it's made the crazy women more intrusive than ever. What's going to become of him?

by Anonymousreply 8712/05/2010

I'm NOT ashamed to admit I ask for autographs on my Playbill after a play. Cate Blanchett was perhaps the nicest celebrity I ever met, and I'm sorry, I'll never see her again most likely, so I wasn't going to pass up the chance and I waited outside for her last year after she did Streetcar in Brooklyn. Cherry Jones is a doll too. That said, if I saw either one of them eating in restaurant, I wouldn't bother them. If I rode up in an elevator, I'd chat, but the Playbill thing - yes, I'll get an autograph. I'm fascinated by handwriting and signatures as it is - And don't tell me that you kids wouldn't have waited outside for Helen Lawson in her heyday.

by Anonymousreply 8812/05/2010

[quote]And now he's made the situation worse by pretending to be dating the babydyke, and it's made the crazy women more intrusive than ever. What's going to become of him?

Then he can blame nobody but himself. The Twilight fandom was crazy from the word go, adding all this Robsten crap is like adding water to a grease fire. I can't feel sorry for either Pattinson or Kristen Stewart, since they moan and groan about fame and then go along with this fauxmance horseshit and rile their fans up on purpose. Plus, making $40 million for mumbling and blinking your way through a movie is a pretty cush job, even if you have to contend with 50 year old obese housewives on your ass. People have worse lives...

by Anonymousreply 8912/05/2010

Part of the million dollar paychecks that the big (and not so big) stars get is compensation for loss of some privacy. If they decide the money and perqs are not worth it, they can get out anytime.

by Anonymousreply 9012/05/2010

Michelle Williams owns this thread.

She went after a fan site that never posted pappy photos or photos of Mathilda, preferring instead to respect her dislike of candid pics, and choosing instead to focus on photos taken on the red carpet, during publicity events.

But obviously not fair for Michelle. Her lawyers bombarded the website with requests to take down the images, to the point where the administrators decided to give up the maintenance, leaving open only the discussion forums where fans could exchange praise about Michelle and her work %E2%80%93 to my knowledge, the sentiments were strictly positive, and I%E2%80%99m told anything less than glowing was immediately removed.

Unfortunately for the fans, Michelle Williams didn%E2%80%99t even want their love, instructing her people to have the forums terminated immediately, giving 2 days notice and threatening legal action.

by Anonymousreply 9112/05/2010

Gee whiz, I sound like a real cunt.

by Anonymousreply 9212/05/2010

It's a matter of having class and respect. If a fan is being respectful then why shouldn't the actor be as well? It should be a two way streak.

by Anonymousreply 9312/05/2010

[quote]Sorry, but they wanted to be famous, and the price of fame is that people recognize you in public. If they didn't want to be famous they should never have been entertainers in the first place. The end. I don't get the recognition thing at all. The two times I've been around a celeb I didn't have a clue until someone said "that was so and so." They looked like ordinary slobs to me, very different than onscreen, and only once did I think the person reminded me of someone but I didn't analyze it too much. Just a vague thought in the back of my mind. I guess I just don't go around thinking about celebs much and when I am in public I'm wrapped up in my own world.

by Anonymousreply 9412/05/2010

Signing autographs seems like a carryover from the studio era, when stars were contractually required to act as their own PR agents at all times. Unless the star is at a convention or something where they're there with the stated purpose of meeting and greeting fans and signing things, it really does seem like an imposition to approach them and demand that they acknowledge you and give you something. Unless you have real business with them you should leave them the fuck alone.

by Anonymousreply 9512/05/2010

Lucy was always outstanding with her fans, the same can not be said for Angela Lansbury or Angie Dickinson!

by Anonymousreply 9612/05/2010

I don't blame celebs for getting bitchy with autograph hounds. Imagine going about your daily business - shopping, lunch at a restaurant, etc. and every two minutes you have someone in your face demanding you sign a piece of paper and they won't leave you alone until you do. I would go nuts if I had to deal with that shit every day of my life. I live in NY and see celebs all the time, and just seeing them in person is enough for me. I would never approach them and ask for an autograph. It's just tacky and rude.%0D %0D I also don't understand autographs in general. I mean anyone could sign anything and claim they met some celeb and got an autograph. Who would know it wasn't real? It just seems so stupid to me.

by Anonymousreply 9812/05/2010

[quote]It should be a two way streak.%0D %0D %0D %0D Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 9912/05/2010

Fans are the ones who make stars well-known names. They are the ones who buy the tickets, who buy the products, who pester the radio stations to play their songs.

Without the fans, actors would not have a career.

They should at least be gracious and be appreciative of their fans.

Without fans, they wouldn't have a career.

by Anonymousreply 10012/05/2010

I honestly don't get the "fan" thing. I like some actors work but I really don't have any desire to get to know them personally. I don't understand the people who line up just to get a glimpse of them like outside the Oscar ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 10112/05/2010

But is it true that without the fans the actor wouldn't have a career? The people who give him a career are the large number of casual fans, not the small number of obsessive ones. The people who ask for an autograph or follow him in the street taking photos aren't necessarily the ones who go and see his performances.

by Anonymousreply 10212/05/2010

Agree with R102. Celebs are not dependent on stalkers and star fuckers. Those kooks are a very tiny minority. They are dependent on having broad appeal with average, normal people who don't obsess over them. That demographic is huge.

by Anonymousreply 10312/05/2010

Well I sure hope Streisand treats her fans better than the contractors that worked on her damned houses.

by Anonymousreply 10412/05/2010

[quote]In defense to Will Ferrell he explained that he is choosy when giving out autographs, because of the professional autograph seekers who turn around and sell his autograph on eBay.

I read some posts on a website talking about how the professional autograph seekers were using kids, inventing fake charity auctions, and even using fake sick people to try to get celebrities to give them autographs.

I think they're as obnoxious in their own way as the paparazzi are in theirs.

by Anonymousreply 10512/05/2010

I've heard a lot of old time stars say they feel sorry for the stars coming up today. With the advent of TMZ, camera phones, twitter ect. There's nowhere to hide. Cher just mentioned how the paparazzi in recent years have become much nastier. Even Leonardo D, a relatively you star says how grateful he is that he became famous before it got so bad.

Can you imagine twitter and camera phones in Studio 54? "OMG I just saw so and so getting a blow job from so and so! here's a pic."

Nice star encounters:

Jo Strummer very down to earth and funny.

Most of the Neville Brothers gave me and my friends a few cases of beer because they couldn't take it across the border for some reason, very funny guys.

I read an article that Willie Nelson who is always on the road will meet every last person who wants to meet him after the show even if it takes hours, he was 77 at the time. I've seen him a number of times in concert and he is one of my favorites but I never would have tried to get an autograph just because I want him to be able to rest after a show-he's old!

by Anonymousreply 10612/05/2010

A famous video of Christina A. throwing her gum at fans while they are telling her how much they love her.

by Anonymousreply 10712/05/2010

1. If you don't want the fans, don't become a celebrity. It comes with the job.

2. There are profiteering celebrity hounds, selling autographs online. Everybody knows who they are and there is nothing wrong with denying them an autograph as long as you explain why, to the surrounding people who may see it.

3. You can avoid so much of the chaos by not living in NYC or LA. Move to a red state, stay out of the cities. Nobody has the right to privacy in public spaces.

4. Most people in this world are not the best looking or slim types. Don't be confused by your celebrity co-workers, you are the 1 %. Also, realize the most of your fans are sitting at home, or too nervous to ask for your autograph, so the few aggressive ones, are the only ones you often see.

Clay Aiken was rude to his female fans because he was forced to stay in the closet. Imagine being a gay man, forced by contract, to lie to women and pretend you think they are sexy. It must really be tough to keep the plastic smile going from behind the closet door.

by Anonymousreply 10812/05/2010

Taylor Swift spent 18 Hours (no I'm not kidding) at Fan Fair to make sure every single person who lined up for her autograph got one, and even a picture too if they so wished.

by Anonymousreply 10912/05/2010

>>>I honestly don't get the "fan" thing. I like some actors work but I really don't have any desire to get to know them personally

Pathetic as it seems, many people's lives are ONLY their celebrity. They project everything they have on to the celebrity and live through them. They consider the celebrity their best friend because they have no one/nothing else.

I knew teenagers like this when I was 15, but it's absolutely incredible to see the 40 year olds.

by Anonymousreply 11012/05/2010

I agree with 110. Annie Wilkes in Misery was not too far off the mark - there are a lot of unbalanced people out there with an unhealthy fixation on celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 11112/05/2010

Aren't autographs sort of last century at this point? The few celebrities I've seen over the last few years seem to be swarmed by people wanting to get their photo taken with them. You still see people wanting autographs back at the stage door, but other than that it's a photo they want. I was at an event Seinfeld attended a few months ago, and I bet he posed for 25 photos in an hour. To his credit he was very gracious and agreed to every request, even when most of them took forever fumbling around getting their cellphones out.

by Anonymousreply 11212/05/2010

"But is it true that without the fans the actor wouldn't have a career? The people who give him a career are the large number of casual fans, not the small number of obsessive ones. "%0D %0D In my experience, serious fans are a source of serious profits. They're the ones who see the same film fifty times and drag any friends they have along, buy the special-edition DVD and all the "collector's items" released by the studio, attend fan conventions and autograph shows, etc. %0D %0D Of course, these are the ones who are functional to leave their mother's basement and go to the conventions; the worst ones are devoting all their time to stalking the celeb online, or via threatening letter. So it's important for the celebrity to encourage the free-spending serious fans, while keeping the worst nutballs at bay. This is why publicists get the big bucks.

by Anonymousreply 11312/05/2010

R85 reminds me of what US actor Jim Beaver once said. He's not famous, really, and not someone who you would think would be hounded. But he has been, several times. The worst example I can remember was when his wife Cecily Adams, writer for "Deep Space 9" and daughter of actor Don Adams, died of cancer a few years ago. At the same time Don was very ill, plus there was a rumor that Cecily's brother was in rehab, so the National Enquirer wanted to do a story on the family. They told Jim Beaver they were running the story and it was his choice to be interviewed or not -- noting that the story might have "inaccuracies" unless he cooperated.

It just shows that you get any kind of public notoriety and someone wants to bother you. It's silly to judge someone as being a narcissist just because they suddenly got a lot of attention, because it may be for things that were way out of their control.

by Anonymousreply 11412/05/2010

Yeah, but R114, Jim was in USENET writing all about what was going on as his wife and father-in-law were dying.

Then he collected the posts and addition e-mails that he had written together and published them in a book, but that was after the NE thing.

by Anonymousreply 11512/05/2010

Usenet didn't have a large readership, and Jim had been a regular for so many years that it is doubtful he was posting just to get attention. So you can't really say "but he posted publicly" as though it was the same as tweeting or blogging nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 11612/05/2010

I wonder if Meryl still lurks here and what she thinks about this topic...

by Anonymousreply 11812/05/2010

True R116, but the USENET group to which he posted had a lot of journalists. No doubt one of them tipped off the NE.

by Anonymousreply 11912/06/2010

[quote]Unfortunately for the fans, Michelle Williams didn't even want their love, instructing her people to have the forums terminated immediately, giving 2 days notice and threatening legal action. I remember this. It was just before Brokeback Mountain was released, and the fansite in question had been around since her Dawson's Creek days. Another fansite also disappeared shortly afterward, if I recall correctly. What a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 12112/10/2010

[quote]Notice, [R56], I didn't say celebrities. I said actors, musicians and artists. Celebrities are a different kettle of fish. Whatever, Mary. If it bolsters your sense of self to compartmentalize 'your' celebrities as artistes, separate from the famewhoring, narcissistic rabble, rock on.

by Anonymousreply 12212/10/2010

Courtney Love; she certainly has punched enough of them.

by Anonymousreply 12312/10/2010

j

by Anonymousreply 12412/10/2010

R123, she's done far worse than punching people.

by Anonymousreply 12512/10/2010

What about brad and angelina?

by Anonymousreply 12612/10/2010

LOL r125.%0D %0D You are so right.

by Anonymousreply 12712/10/2010

I don't think she killed him. It's too convenient.

by Anonymousreply 12812/10/2010

I think she killed him, and it was pretty convenient. The hole walked off with all of his money, reflected fame, and people like 128, made it sooo EASY because they wouldn't know the truth if it hit them in the face.%0D %0D Don't worry, dolt. She got away with it.

by Anonymousreply 12912/11/2010

Not sure if it was mentioned, but Prince is notoriously nasty about fan sites. He has them shut down regularly. No reproduction of his image or his music, ever. No exceptions. You will be silenced.

by Anonymousreply 13012/11/2010

bump

by Anonymousreply 13112/11/2010

"Clay Aiken was rude to his female fans because he was forced to stay in the closet. Imagine being a gay man, forced by contract, to lie to women and pretend you think they are sexy. It must really be tough to keep the plastic smile going from behind the closet door." With all due respect, no one forced Miss Aiken to audition for "American Idol." She knew her closet door was bound to be knocked upon eventually.

by Anonymousreply 13212/11/2010

Prince is a religious wacko. (Witness)

by Anonymousreply 13312/13/2010

Julianne Moore

by Anonymousreply 13412/14/2010

and I know the anecdote I posted was not about a fan reaction, but it's very telling that if a celeb is nice in a non-fan setting, he/she will likely be nice to fans as well.

by Anonymousreply 13608/26/2012

Steve Martin. Don't know if he's been mentioned yet, but he's worth mentioning again. Oh, and the banjos blow.

by Anonymousreply 13808/26/2012

Cher is one of the first celebs that come to my mind as not hating their fans, she seems to appreciate them immensely, and that's rare. She can be a bitchy diva with coworkers, Giorgio Moroder said she showed up 5 hours late for their recording session and had a bad attitude. But she's quite generous with her fans.

by Anonymousreply 13908/26/2012

Nicole Richie is a total CUNT

by Anonymousreply 14008/26/2012

my fans mean everything to me

by Anonymousreply 14108/26/2012

I've always heard great stories about Mariah Carey's treatment towards fans.

She's always enthusiastic, smiling, and will oblige to every photo and autograph.

by Anonymousreply 14408/26/2012

I've heard Whoopi Goldberg on The View going on about how she doesn't like to be bothered by fans. Which I find astounding considering that at this point she should be grateful for the three she has left.

by Anonymousreply 14508/26/2012

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 14608/26/2012

Jesus was snotty about autographs, since he couldn't write.

by Anonymousreply 14708/26/2012

I've never understood how people recognize celebrities off screen. I can pass by my own mother in the street and be in my own world and not even notice and it has happened. I'm an introvert and not really interested in people in public unless it's a store clerk or waiter.

by Anonymousreply 14808/26/2012

Belinda "Go-Gos" Carlisle was a cunt.

When asked about all the men who chased her, she said all her male fans were creepy and ugly.

by Anonymousreply 14908/26/2012

Natalie Portman is a stuck up cunt. Julia stiles is a sweetie, Clive Owen is a cheap cunt who doesn't tip.

by Anonymousreply 15008/26/2012

If I was a celeb, I would hate my fans. I would never leave the house, thus magnifying the mystique a la Marlena Dietrich. That's the problem with todays "stars." There is nothing left to the imagination anymore and we hate them for their humanity. We want them to be perfect.

by Anonymousreply 15108/26/2012

Learn how to play the game. If you want to impress a celebrity, treat them like shit. These people have fragile, huge egos, so if you pretend like they're inconveniencing you or not worth your time, they'll try to be your best friend. Try it next time you run into a "celebrity."

by Anonymousreply 15208/26/2012

I met Kurt and Courtney at the end of 1993 and Kurt looked like he was already dead. He was a shrunken, shrivelled, scabby, shivering junkie. I was not in the least surprised when he died three months later. It would not have taken Courtney to kill him.

by Anonymousreply 15308/26/2012

My understanding of basic celebrity etiquette is, support them, cheer them and make them feel loved when they're "on," leave them the hell alone when they're on their own time. Coming up to an entertainer when they're at a restaurant or a show and demanding they give you an autograph or put on a show of being delighted to meet you is similar to going up to a doctor at a party and asking them to analyze your symptoms. Just be considerate.

All this, of course, to be distinguished from celebrities actively engaging in hostile behaviors like harassing online fan forums, throwing gum at them, etc.

by Anonymousreply 15408/26/2012

I wish I spoke Dutch. I would love to understand the whole clip R51 posted.

I know Timberlake gets a lot of flack, but I was once on an elevator with my niece, who was about 11 at the time. She was staring at the big nosed kid like she wanted to burn holes in his face, and I gave her a little nudge, like, "sweetie, stop it; that's rude."

He noticed and asked her if she'd been swimming,(she was in her swimsuit) and if the pool water was cold. He carried on a whole conversation with her for 16 floors.

When we got out on our floor, he wished her a great vacation. After the door closed, she practically hyperventilated telling me it was Timberlake.

by Anonymousreply 15508/26/2012

Jessie Wallace, R85?

by Anonymousreply 15608/26/2012

[quote]One of Madonna's biographers wrote that two little girls once approached her for autographs, and Madonna snapped at them: "I'm not signing anything for you. You mean NOTHING to me!" and stormed off.

What makes the story REALLY horrifying is that the two little girls in question were Lourdes and Mercy!

by Anonymousreply 15708/26/2012

My bookstore once did an event for a star's book signing - I was really proud of how nobody who worked there really cared about her, meeting her, or even looking at her, and at the end of the day when we were asked if we wanted our picture taken with her we all said no thanks, we were good. You could tell she as furious and sure enough our manager got a message from higher up that she'd felt "disrespected" during her visit, when what she really meant was that we didn't kiss her ass. We parked her in the break room that we closed off so she and her stupid entourage could hang out and make the customers wait for hours to meet her, got out of her way, brought her drinks if she asked, cleaned up after her dog - but mostly nobody cared that she was there. I remember at one point two friends of mine were talking to each other about some party they had been at and said celebrity tried to get in on the conversation because she was so starved for attention. It was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 15808/26/2012

What do people do with autographs of the famous? Do they frame them? Show them at parties? Seriously? What is the personal value?

by Anonymousreply 15908/26/2012

Here in NY approaching a celebrity in public for an autograph is considered very gauche and 'touristy.' Just seeing the celebrity in person should be enough, but a lot of people just don't get it and intrude on their personal space, which is very rude.

I have never understood autographs, because anyone can sign a celebrity's name on something and claim it's real. Who would ever know?

by Anonymousreply 16008/26/2012

Okay R158, I'll play. Must have been someone old because you said no one working at the bookstore cared about her (usually young staff). Hmmmm. The 'star' wrote an autobiography, owns a dog, has a bitchy attitude and an "entourage."

I'm gonna guess: One of the Judds, Eliz Edwards, Rosie or a "Housewife"

Am I close?

by Anonymousreply 16108/26/2012

Aly Raisman. I heard she only responds to celebs who tweet her, never any of us "little" people. Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 16208/26/2012

r161, I'm gonna say Raquel Welch.

by Anonymousreply 16308/26/2012

[quote]I read some posts on a website talking about how the professional autograph seekers were using kids, inventing fake charity auctions, and even using fake sick people to try to get celebrities to give them autographs.

I don't get it. If the goal is to sell them on eBay, why not just fake the autographs?? It's not like it'd be hard...and there's really no way to prove a real vs fake autograph anyway.

by Anonymousreply 16408/26/2012

Gwyneth Paltrow, that is if she had any fans.

by Anonymousreply 16508/26/2012

R65/69, not to be rude but you are a bit long-winded.

by Anonymousreply 16608/26/2012

I don't believe in autographs, and I would never ask for a pic but I don't see why either should be a big deal for a celeb as long as the fan asking is nice and polite. These stars can't have it both ways-they want attention at "work" but want to remain anonymous otherwise...As long as a fan doesn't harrass them or totally interrupt something, the stars should be nice. They're just people, not gods. They should feel flattered someone wants to meet them.

by Anonymousreply 16708/26/2012

[quote]Just seeing the celebrity in person should be enough,

"should be enough"??? Seeing a celebrity in person is some sort of thrill for you? How sad your life must be.

by Anonymousreply 16808/26/2012

Exactly R160. What do people want?

I have seen Natalie Portman around Manhattan numerous times, most recently at the NYC Ballet several times as late as this Spring, but I would never intrude upon her privacy. She seemed lovely so why would I bother her?

by Anonymousreply 16908/26/2012

I go on a Doctor Who fanforum sometimes, and the David Tennant fans post pics of their collections. Entire walls covered in framed autographs and signed photos.

by Anonymousreply 17008/26/2012

Nathan Lane could not be more rude. But this is not a surprise to most people.

by Anonymousreply 17108/26/2012

I may live in a "fly over" state but I have some sort of weird thing that happens when I'm in NYC or LA...I have tons of celebrity encounters, but I usually don't speak to them and would certainly never ask for an autograph. I don't need to "prove" that I met anyone. I have a huge list of stars I've been in close proximity to, but of the few I've actually spoken to, Nina Garcia was surprisingly one of the nicest. It wasn't in a situation where she had to be nice, either. From her demeanor on Project Runway, I was surprised how friendly she was.

The only asshole was Liev Schrieber. I could give two shits about him, but it was a situation where it was just natural to speak to him, and he was a complete tool.

And as far as the above poster saying Belinda Carlisle was a cunt..when I met her, she couldn't have been nicer. I was wary from what I'd heard before, but she was great.

by Anonymousreply 17208/26/2012

It's my opinion that if the more fan-powered celebs are overtly rude to POLITE fans, they have no business doing what they're doing. It's possible to turn someone down and still be polite.

Tween and teen stars, and those with younger audience, probably have it the worst in terms of difficult fans. But I've had hundreds of celebrity sightings, and have witnessed maybe 4 occasions where the person was actually approached. I feel like many of them aren't annoyed CONSTANTLY.

by Anonymousreply 17308/26/2012

Alex Pettyfer.

by Anonymousreply 17408/26/2012

R158, you guys just sound like a bunch of douchebags. If the woman had something to contribute to a conversation, why be a dick?

by Anonymousreply 17508/26/2012

The only acceptable place to ask a celebrity for an autograph or pic is if they are in a Broadway show and you speak to them at stage door where you have just spent a good amount of $ to see them. Anywhere else, it is their time and they should not be bothered. It puts them on the spot and it's a no win. If they agree, they will be asked another 100 times by others. If they say no, they will forever be branded as rude by "fans" on twitter or elsewhere. Leave them the fuck alone. They are just actors playing a part. It's not really the character you see in the movie/tv/etc.

by Anonymousreply 17608/26/2012

Since a performer is dependent on the goodwill of fans to make a living, performers are in fact obligated to always be nice to fans. To be rude to a fan is to bite the hand that's made you rich and famous.

Which isn't to say that fans shouldn't be polite and thoughtful, but if they aren't a wise performer is still nice to them.

by Anonymousreply 17708/26/2012

I don't understand performers who are not kind to their fans. It comes with the territory of being famous. If you don't like fans, you should get out of the business of being famous (I mean you, endlessly whining Jodie Foster--you could retire or work solely in France and you'd be mostly left alone).

Unsurprisingly the ones who on this thread have come across as being notoriously the least friendly to fans are the ones who are the most personally insecure: Bette Midler, Whitney Houston, Streisand, and above all, Madonna.

I am sympathetic, however, to them not wanting to sign autographs. Once it was part of the territory that came with being famous: but now that so many celebrities' signatures are sold for money, I would not want to give away my signature myself were I famous. But that does not excuse them from being nice to their fans (particularly children).

by Anonymousreply 17808/26/2012

I've only heard good things about Mariah with her fans. She is a royal pain in the ass for anyone working with her, or for employees of hotels and restaurants, but she's sweet as can be with fans.

by Anonymousreply 17908/26/2012

Has anyone met or know of what the following stars are like with their fans:

Jennifer Lopez, Kylie Minogue, P!nk, Janet Jackson and Avril Lavigne? I never heard anything good or bad about their fan encounters.

by Anonymousreply 18008/26/2012

I live in Nashville, and while not a fan of country music, most of these singers are very kind to fans. Johnny Cash used to come in the store that I worked in and was the sweetest thing. Loretta Lynn had someone call ahead and asked that none of the employees speak to her and try to keep customers away. Bitchy. But Mooney was very friendly and talked to everyone. More rock stars like Robert Plant are recording here, and have no problem talking to people, or give autographs. KISS is also one of the nicest bunch I've come across, and Morrissey, for all his bitchiness, is a gem with fans, a true gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 18108/26/2012

R158 if she was bitchy I could understand, but it seems like you went out of your way to be an asshole to her. Granted you shouldn't fawn over her, but what's wrong with having a picture taken if she asked?

And NY has been gauche and touristy since the 90's. It's cute that the people who live there love to pretend it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 18208/26/2012

Bette Midler was a cunt to my friend inside a Honolulu Starbucks one time. He can't stand her now.

by Anonymousreply 18308/26/2012

I have never heard anything good about Bette Midler, ever. And it's not about crazy, intrusive fans either. Just regular, everyday interactions where nobody is rude to her and she's still a total cunt.

by Anonymousreply 18408/26/2012

Wendy Williams loves to chat with fans, but she doesn't take pics.

by Anonymousreply 18508/26/2012

[quote]...and Morrissey, for all his bitchiness, is a gem with fans, a true gentleman.

I've read just the opposite: that he's dismissive of fans at his best and hostile at his worst.

by Anonymousreply 18608/26/2012

Grace Kelly was like that. But it worked out well for her.

She was being all stuck up and one fan said, "Well look at the royal princess, too good to talk to her fans."

And Grace took the idea and ran with it

by Anonymousreply 18708/26/2012

Isn't Van Morrison a total dick?

by Anonymousreply 18808/26/2012

r186, in all my experiences with Moz, and my friends around the world that have met him, he was almost bashful,very kind, and would pose for photos and give autographs.He even remembered names. He's one celebrity that gets it, that we're the ones allowing him his good fortune. He can be a dick in the press, but he appreciates his fans.

r181

by Anonymousreply 19008/26/2012

R138 I didn't have a nasty encounter with Steve Martin, but I did have an eye rolling one. At an event with many celebs bigger than he (Meryl was there for crying out loud), we passed each other in a stairwell and he put his hands in front of his face as if merely seeing his royal visage would cause me to go into spasms of fan gushing. Bitch, please. I was busy trying to find the bathroom!

by Anonymousreply 19108/27/2012

I heard Simon Cowell caught two IDOL finalists refusing to give a fan an autograph.

Heard he then REAMED them, saying THOSE are the people who buy your records.

I liked Simon even more after hearing that story.

by Anonymousreply 19208/27/2012

I never have quite understood why Steve Martin got where he did unless he met someone who could do things for him in return for screwing his ass but both he and Chevy Chase, another puzzling figure, never had much sex appeal to begin with so.....?? Anyway, re the stuff about Madonna, is it true that when she was touring in Italy the pope wanted her to come and see him presumably so that he could remonstrate with her on her choice of her stage name as "Madonna" is a reference to the BVM (Blessed Virgin Mary) and that her reply to him was that "if the holy father wants to see me he'll have to come to one of my shows"? And I seem to recall a quote from the late Erma Bombeck which goes, "learn the difference between success and fame, success is Mother Theresa, fame is Madonna". One more thing, that crazy gay icon bitch Joan Crawford supposedly was always appreciative of her fans and understood that if they didn't come to see her movies she would be shit out of luck.

by Anonymousreply 19308/27/2012

The time when Barbra Streisand shoved Lillian Gish through a plate glass window was when the elder actress asked Barbra for an autograph.

by Anonymousreply 19408/27/2012

Joan Crawford is the ultimate example of a celebrity being gracious to fans. She did more than anyone else, before or since. She may have been a bitch to her kids, but she went out of her way to accomodate fans no matter what she was doing at the time. Of course, in those days there weren't as many crazies and stalkers as there are now and celebrities in general were more accessible to the public.

by Anonymousreply 19508/27/2012

Alas, I was not one of her fans.

by Anonymousreply 19608/27/2012

Sheryl Crow kept walking up to people and refusing to sign autographs.

The thing was no one was asking her, yet she was just walking over to them.

It was more sad than hate

by Anonymousreply 19708/27/2012

[quote]Deep, insightful, intelligent and well written responses don't seem to be your forte, huh doll?

Even years later, I find it hilarious that R65/R69/R75 thought what he/she wrote was in any way a contribution, let alone an insightful one.

Pathetic. I guess this place has been going downhill for even longer than I thought.

When it was funny and fun here, there would've been some great replies mocking the "insights"... something a little wittier than 'boring Mary'. But no one would have called that intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 19808/27/2012

R194, LOL!

by Anonymousreply 19908/27/2012

I read an interview with Madonna years ago where she mentioned being conflicted about her fans and fandom in general. She was grateful to them for supporting her all these years, and for buying her records and attending her concerts; but she was also creeped out that many of them knew every detail about her, knew what schools her kids attended, knew the name's of her staff and her nannies, knew her routines, etc. And then there were the fans who would run up to her driveway and buzz her gate, or hide in her bushes, or would pick through her trash. It clearly unnerved her, especially now that she had kids. She's also had issues with stalkers and breaches of security, including that one guy who scaled the wall of her LA compound and threatened to slash her throat if she didn't marry him (see link).

If I had to deal with this shit on a daily basis, I would hatin' my fans too. But then she craved fame and got it. If she doesn't like her fans, she can always retire.

by Anonymousreply 20008/27/2012

If you are kind, you are kind. Rich, poor, famous or not. There are no conditions that change who you are, only amplify it.

by Anonymousreply 20108/27/2012

Madonna is an overrated complete jerk!I remember in an interview she said that she disliked people walking by saying hello to her. She said, these strangers act like they know me! I don't know who theses strangers are! I think they are nuts! Really bitch? these strangers are the reason why are worth 1 billion dollars!Assholes like Madonna complain about the public once they gain enormous wealth ,and made their mark in the world of fame. When these users were struggling climbing up the rich and famous ladder, they were desperate to be at least mentioned somewhere! One of these phonies is George Clooney. When he was a struggling nobody, he would call the Enquirer begging them to mention him somewhere in their tabloid. Later, when he got very rich and famous, he scolded the very tabloid for covering Lady Diana's death. These people are losers!

The movie stars of the pas were gracious to the public and they were class acts! They understood that their career and fame came with the territory. They were people who fought to become a star which means they gained public attention and they embraced the attention.

by Anonymousreply 20208/27/2012

This is why I hate all those dumbass gays who flock to Madonna's concerts year after year and buy her music. WHY DO THEY KEEP SUPPORTING this ungrateful bitch? I don't get it. When I was younger I thought she was cool but then I learned about how she stole everyone's ideas throughout her career and on top of that is a big fucking cunt to her fans. All those fags still supporting her should be shot.

by Anonymousreply 20308/27/2012

It is kind of unfortunate that some celebrities become so paranoid as to assume that everyone is gawking at them.

It's happened to me before where the celebrities are the ones who coldly stare at me before I even notice them, or they catch me in that split second where I double take because I'm like, "Wait...do I know that person, or..." and glare me into undeserved shame.

by Anonymousreply 20408/27/2012

Some celebrities (secretly) resent their fans for falling for that fake image they are selling to said fans.

by Anonymousreply 20508/27/2012

Kim Kardashian hates her fans. Someone ratted her out recently for calling them mindless idiots or some shit like that. She was right though.

by Anonymousreply 20608/27/2012

I totally get why celebs hate to be gawked at. It sucks. This isn't even 1% of what famous people go through, but I got a lot of unwanted attention from trollish men when I was young and hot (I'm female). They would be very aggressive about it, doing odd things to get you to look at them expecting a reaction. It's hard to describe how obnoxious it is. If you ignore them, they just up the ante and become more aggressive. Some would even become angry ("snotty bitch") if they didn't get the attention from you (a complete stranger) they thought they deserved. They tried to force acknowledgement whether you liked it or not.

I see a lot of that same entitlement expressed here on this thread toward celebs. "I bought your CD so you damn well BETTER look me in the eye and sign my autograph book."

by Anonymousreply 20708/27/2012

The ones you all adore for being gracious are just better actors and less honest, that's all. They ALL hate their fans.

by Anonymousreply 20808/27/2012

It's different in the rapid technology era. If marketers and their clients want to make money and maintain the influx for as long as possible, they need to get lots of people sufficiently psyched, obsessed, and corralled into a celebrity's persona, to the point where NEEDING to meet them is almost always a given.

by Anonymousreply 20908/27/2012

As others have said, most reasonable fans just want an autograph, a pic or maybe a couple minutes of chatting. That is NOT too much to ask. Sure, the fans who stalk, and harrass and think they're besties with a star are annoying but I doubt most people are so crazy.

by Anonymousreply 21008/27/2012

The funny thing is, most of these stars who are cunts to their fans and complain would be pissed if 1 day people stopped caring about them. 1 day if Madonna could go through her day without bodyguards and all that she would be furious. I once read a piece by an actor who knew her in the mid 80s when she was coming up. He said Madonna was the type who walked into a room hoping people would notice her.

by Anonymousreply 21108/27/2012

[quote]As others have said, most reasonable fans just want an autograph, a pic or maybe a couple minutes of chatting. That is NOT too much to ask.

Yes it IS too much to ask when the famous person is just going about their everyday business and not working. If you wait outside the stage door for a pic and an autograph that's one thing. If the celeb is having lunch or dinner in a restaurant with other people it is rude to approach them in that kind of a setting. I've seen plenty of celebrities in public places and on the street. I would never stop one on the sidewalk when they're obviously trying to get somewhere and demand a chat and a picture. It's crass and tacky.

by Anonymousreply 21208/27/2012

[quote]As others have said, most reasonable fans just want an autograph, a pic or maybe a couple minutes of chatting. That is NOT too much to ask.

Imagine how many things can be done when every other minute someone stops you and wants to chat, a hug, a picture, a signiture, etc. Imagine how much longer it will take you to go from A to B because of that. Imagine this to take place every friggin' time (not just on public events where you are PAID to show up, smile, and act all nice but also when you are off work).

For some celebrities this doesn't happen ONE time only. It happens several times an hour when they are out and about. I can totally get that it can be frustrating and disruptive for the celebs who might by then regret that they agreed to that kind of career (if only the money wasn't so great).

by Anonymousreply 21308/27/2012

[quote]most reasonable fans just want an autograph, a pic or maybe a couple minutes of chatting. That is NOT too much to ask

Uh, yes, it most definitely is if you are star who is recognized everywhere you go. That would be hundreds (thousands?) of people daily. There wouldn't be enough hours in the day to stop for every stupid yahoo who wants to "chat, take a pic and get an autograph." You have to shut it down somewhere or risk being torn apart by the teaming masses who all think they're entitled to a piece of you.

by Anonymousreply 21408/27/2012

But if 25 people want a little "chat" everytime a celebrity goes out to eat, where does that leave the celebrity, R210? Besides, having to endure mindless chit chat with stranger after stranger while fake smiling would make drive even the sweetest person up the wall.

by Anonymousreply 21508/27/2012

It comes with the business. As long as a fan isn't rude, aggressive or threatening, the celeb should be cordial, if not friendly. These people get A LOT OF PERKS in their career, so I don't feel bad for them 1 bit if they give up their privacy while in public. Don't like it? Then give up the money and praise and take a regular fucking job. It's that simple. They can't have it both ways. These people die for attention on their way up, then when they finally get famous, some of them don't want to give back.

by Anonymousreply 21708/27/2012

I was at this function with Olivia Newton-John and that poor woman was as polite as could be and talked to EVERYONE who wanted to talk to her for LENGTH. This acquaintance of mine talked to her for a good 20-30 minutes. There was literally a line of people wanting to talk to her, and this was a pretty informal after party at some hotel. I couldn't do that...I'd just run away to my hotel room.

by Anonymousreply 21808/27/2012

I really hate the idea some people think of stars as victims of the crazy public lmao. Do I approach celebs? no. I don't think asking for an autograph, pic or even just a brief is chat is unreasonable if the celeb is not busy and just out and about. The celeb can stay home or go to a private place inhabited by other annoying rich people if he/she doesn't want to be disturbed by these lesser beings I mean fans.

by Anonymousreply 21908/27/2012

r219. And I find it laughable that some fans actually think that they OWN someone by spending money on that person and DEMAND proper attention from their slave ... sorry, celeb they paid good money for!

It's like guys being shocked (shocked!) when their date doesn't put out after they paid for a meal and drinks while they were their true unpleasant selves.

Usually respect gives you respect back. If not, move on and move away from that unpleasant jerk or cunt.

Jerks and cunts attract jerkish and cuntish responses. You want to get involved? Be. My. Guest.

by Anonymousreply 22008/27/2012

I realize I'm not famous, R207, but I'm also female. I grew up in a big city. Since age 14, I've had to fend off strange and agressive men who try to stop me, only to be called the likes of a "snotty bitch." Virtually every single time I go out. I think no matter what your profession or place in life, people are going to have unrealistic expectations of you and think less of you when you fail to meet their specifications. Whether they say that out loud or not.

by Anonymousreply 22108/27/2012

No, I think if it's a fan who actually uses good judgement as to whether the celebrity is in a good mood and not in a rush, there's nothing wrong with attempting a brief conversation.

by Anonymousreply 22208/27/2012

R207 and R221 you 2 are different. You're not famous and therefore never asked for the unwanted attention. You are ordinary citizens going out. These stars make their money by becoming popular aka famous. If they don't want attention in public, either don't go out to regular public places or quit the business.

by Anonymousreply 22308/27/2012

"Usually respect gives you respect back."

LOL. Where do you live? Because in most parts of the world, that is hardly ever true. Especially in Hollywood.

But that was very cute!

by Anonymousreply 22408/27/2012

Unlike in other countries, Americans have a love-hate relationship with those they deem famous. They want to follow them around and interact with them, and they also want them to die.

by Anonymousreply 22508/27/2012

Madonna actually complains about being famous? Give me a break. The woman lives for publicity and getting everyone's attention. The day everyone turns away is the day she has a full on breakdown. The woman can't take not being the center of attention.

There are many celebrities who manage to live normal lives. There are also many celebrities who can deal with their fans like human beings.

The ones who are the most vocal in whining about it are often the ones who are shoved in the public eye all the time. Perhaps if they dropped the PR agents, they could have a semblance of a life.

by Anonymousreply 22608/27/2012

Jerry Seinfeld refuses to ever read any of his fan mail, because he thinks that anyone who takes the time to write to a complete stranger is nuts.

by Anonymousreply 22708/27/2012

If I were famous I'd probably crack up. I already dislike most of the general public, but if they came up to me all the time and wanted to chat me up while I was busy running errands or something I'd probably be a huge asshole.

by Anonymousreply 22808/27/2012

I think celebs, before they are famous, have an idealistic view of what it will be like to be adored by the public. They imagine the applause, but not the intrusion on their privacy. I'll bet they even dream about being asked for their autograph, but their fantasy probably involves young, attractive fans who are polite, not a bunch of obnoxious 300 lb flyover fraus and basement dwelling mouth breathers. The realization of who the die hard fans actually are must come as a shock.

by Anonymousreply 22908/27/2012

I agree, r229. When a person finally becomes famous to the point of people bothering them in public, the proles who are their #1 fans probably come as a shock. I don't care for any of the Twilight actors, but I do feel some sympathy for them. The biggest part of that fan base are scary, no-life weirdos who follow them everywhere and have an obsessive interest in their private lives. Kind of like Annie Wilkes from Misery. That has to unnerve them.

by Anonymousreply 23008/27/2012

I love the "Celebrity Fan Out" segment of the Wendy Williams Show because it gives us a glimpse into peoples' experiences crossing paths with a celebrity, and how the celebrity treated them.

by Anonymousreply 23108/27/2012

No star reads their fan mail and they do not accept gifts.

by Anonymousreply 23208/27/2012

Sarah McLachlan's response to her most stalkative fans wasn't exactly tasteful...as well as kind of a risky move for her personal safety.

by Anonymousreply 23308/27/2012

What r229 says.

I went to a figure skating comp, and I felt so sorry for some of the popular skaters. Poor guys, especially Todd Eldredge, whose female fans seemed comprised of 300 pound women who snuck in boxes of Entemann's for the comp. They kept calling him "the thinking womans sex symbol" and other embarrassing shit like that.

by Anonymousreply 23408/27/2012

I'm a celebrity actor, Here's the deal. I have two credits on IMDB that no one could've seen. One is a movie that was never released. Another is a TV episode I worked on but was cut out of. Nonetheless, I am famous for other stuff. And yet I get fan mail from people who claim to have seen me in everything I've done including the movie that was never released and Tv episode I was cut from. These are just professional autograph hounds who claim to be a parent of a sick child, etc and then just list many of my credits right off of IMDB. They're not real fans and I don't respond to them. Also, at red carpet events, there will be throngs of people wanting my autograph, some on pictures and some on blank white index cards. I'd feel like a dick if I ignored them but I feel like a chump when I indulge them. I don't think they're real fans. They just want to sell my autograph. This is what Will Ferrell was talking about.

by Anonymousreply 23508/28/2012

R69- this thread is about celebrities who hate their fans and not about celebrities you hate. Stay on point.

by Anonymousreply 23608/28/2012

Nathan Lane-- unless he's drunk.

by Anonymousreply 23708/28/2012

Don't most actors hate their fans? I mean really...why wouldn't they?

by Anonymousreply 23808/28/2012

R152- I hate that. When a fan tries to get close to me by being mean to me, is just that- mean. That trick doesn't work on me.

by Anonymousreply 23908/28/2012

Went to Orso's one night and Liza was standing outside smoking a cigarette. She opened the door for us! One of the good ones.

by Anonymousreply 24008/28/2012

Why is merely opening a door for someone make you "one of the good ones"? People have such low expectations of celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 24108/28/2012

R235, I think I might know you. Your writing style is very similar to someone I'm acquainted with. You write like you talk. I'm trying to figure out how to discern if you are who I think you are. (A) Do you have a Twitter? (B) Are you straight, gay, or bi?

by Anonymousreply 24208/28/2012

Magic Johnson

My nephew encountered him at some event in FL. When my nephew got home and told me about it, all he said was that Magic was a very mean to them (him and the other boys).

My nephew was 10.

What a sad, sad man.

by Anonymousreply 24308/28/2012

I understand the argument for annoying and insincere fans, but some celebrities would be calling the kettle black if they concluded that their fans were acting "entitled."

Many a polite "below-the-line" employee or (non-sexual) event escort will tell you that if many celebrities aren't straight-up mean, they carry an asinine sense of entitlement with them wherever they go. Preventing a toxic level of self-centeredness isn't easy. Once it's there, it's difficult to see how it happened or that there's anything screwed up about it.

by Anonymousreply 24408/28/2012

I worked in the music industry for far too long where those celebrities were churned out and saw too many 'one hit wonders'. Unfortunately more often than not some so called celebrities would ridicule their fans.

One particular, shall we say...rockstar, had nasty things to say about her fans especially the larger groupies. She was a yoyo dieter and cursed anyone who ate in front of her and lectured anyone who would listen about food they should be eating. Obviously with major food issues herself Karma came full circle in her later life as she is now one ugly chunky old hag.

Not as popular as she use to be but she has cornered a niche loyal crowd of fans who spend every dime they have to support her and her brood with a very comfortable lifestyle. If only they knew how bitchy she is about them behind their backs.

by Anonymousreply 24508/28/2012

R245 - Melissa Etheridge???

by Anonymousreply 24608/28/2012

The fat bitch is Linda Ronstadt, isn't she?

by Anonymousreply 24708/28/2012

R242-

A) Yes

B) gay, I guess

by Anonymousreply 24808/28/2012

When I was a kid, I was an obsessive fan. Joni Mitchell. I flared up during a couple concerts and she put me in my place. Good for her.

Celebrities have a precarious position with their fans. There are fans who dream up a relationship that, at best, would be considered "unstable."

How does a celeb balance the relationship with their fans? The problem is that the fans don't understand their roles.

It's sad because celebs need their fans, but, on the other hand, having fans did not work out so well fo Rebecca Schaeffer or Selena.

by Anonymousreply 24908/28/2012

R245, I have heard of other celebrities and famous personalities who do that very same food lecturing as well. Fascinating.

An immediate family member of mine works with estates of the very wealthy, and has had numerous high-profile clients that he's dealt with directly. He says he's been told exactly what to eat and drink (and how much). And, as one example, he was told that he should be wearing a different coat than the one he arrived in...even though his original one was designer, and there was no one else in sight who could care. But he did get to keep the coat, in that instance.

by Anonymousreply 25008/28/2012

what was Sarah McLachlan's response, R233?

by Anonymousreply 25108/28/2012

If supportive fans truly understood their roles, they wouldn't continue to be fans unless they truly hated themselves.

by Anonymousreply 25208/28/2012

Hi. If you really are an actor, I do NOT give a shit and hope you fall in a ditch. If you're not an actor - same.

by Anonymousreply 25308/29/2012

R235 Are you in show business?

by Anonymousreply 25408/29/2012

I heard Paul Newman stopped signing autographs after a fan approached him while he was taking a pee.

by Anonymousreply 25508/29/2012

R235, can we have your autograph. We loved you in DAWSON'S DEMISE - REVENGE OF THE FLUFFER. Don't say we didn't see it because the bootlegs have been out since before your lipo accident.

Love you in everything! Make it out to "A GREAT GIRL WITH LOVE."

by Anonymousreply 25608/29/2012

R256, hahahahahahahahahaha!

by Anonymousreply 25708/29/2012

So true R252. The role of a true fan is to spend lots of money on tickets and merchandise that support the star and then die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 25808/29/2012

All these rich and famous people can go screw off! They have multimillion dollar lifestyles and all they do is bitch while most average people have to deal with valid stresses like bills, paying the rent, food, dealing with transportation issues to get around ,and as a whole, getting by hanging on a thread living from paycheck to paycheck!

BTW, these so called celebrities today are a bunch of losers ,and it's astounding to me that there are people who waste their time trying to hound these very bland famous nothings to sign their blank pieces of paper. Give me the real stars of old Hollywood anytime than these jokers! No! I'm not old! I'm just a guy who adores old movies ,and who loves old Hollywood when they were real stars!Not only were they truly electrifying,but they handled their fame with grace and class.They appreciated their success in every way.

by Anonymousreply 25908/29/2012

vanna white refused to give an autograph. then hit on my sister.

by Anonymousreply 26008/29/2012

What I love (being sarcastic) are the stars who hate to be recognized by fans, but who get pissed if they're not recognized at say a restaurant or something so they can get cut the line or get a free meal lol.

by Anonymousreply 26108/29/2012

Anyone met Mario Lopez? I wonder how he reacts to gay fans lol

by Anonymousreply 26208/29/2012

You don't know of anyone who does that R261.

by Anonymousreply 26308/29/2012

how does mario react when he looks in the mirror?

by Anonymousreply 26408/29/2012

Bitter queen at r259. How do you know the "old stars" handled their fame with class? Did you ever meet and spend time with them?

by Anonymousreply 26508/29/2012

I hate my fans.

You have no idea what a pain in the ass they all are, millions, even billions of them trying to contact me every day. Even more than once a day, some of them! And they all want something, even if it's just daily bread. Bunch of crazy stalkers, all of them.

That's why I'm always raining destruction down on them in the form of tornadoes, hurricanes, flooding, wildfires... I've even tried repressive religious dictatorships. Tornadoes in Missouri, wildfires in Texas, Isaac at the Republican convention, earthquakes in Iran -- there's nothing I haven't tried. And don't even get me started on the Jews.

Jesus Christ, you'd think they'd get the message eventually and leave me in eternal peace, but nooooooooo. What's it going to take, Armageddon?

by Anonymousreply 26608/29/2012

They all hate fans. As opposed to the "audience". They all hate them, from the most wannabe soap actor to a big movie star. Some behave professionally and even generously because it's good business, it's what you do, or they're just really nice people, but they all hate fans. If they don't have any, then they want fans but it's one of those things, with fans as with everything. They'd prefer the perks and none of the obligations, whatever those are considered to be (being nice, acting interested, etc.) If they could all have fans without dealing with them in any way, but still have the fans demonstrate their box office or ratings value, that's what they'd all do.

by Anonymousreply 26708/29/2012

Morrissey owns this, hands down.

by Anonymousreply 26809/02/2012

R249, what do you mean 'flared up' and Joni Mitchell? Intrigued…please 'splain.

by Anonymousreply 26909/02/2012

[quote] Buying tickets to a actor's movies does not entitle a person to violate the celebrity's privacy. The argument that celebrities sought their fame is quite likely to be untrue. I doubt that anybody ever truly comprehends the downside to fame at the beginning of their careers.

No, they all sought fame. They can quit anytime they want. And if the downside was so bad, a lot of them would get out of the business. Once these people found fame, 99% of them CHOOSE to stay in it for the money and/or the fame. If they really only cared about acting or music they would do it on a local level and be happy. But they all want to get to and stay on a national or world wide level. They only leave the business/public eye when they have to (when they stop getting work because of age or decreased popularity). There is no law that says actors/musicians/ famous people have to keep working. It's completely voluntary. And as much money as most celebs/ famous people earn or have the potential to earn (product endorsements/books, appearances etc), they could all quit tomorrow and never have to work another day in their lives. They all make more money than ever (40 times over what celebs did 40 yrs ago)

And of course if they want to stay out of the public eye they could live in small towns. But most celebs who bitch about fame CHOOSE to live in NYC, Los Angeles or other big cities - where they are exposed to lots of fans and other people. I don't feel sorry for any celeb who chooses to live near Los Angeles. It's the #1 place for paparazzi/ fans. It's like someone living in Florida and being surprised/ complaining that the weather is always hot and sunny.

And after saying all this, I really do side with the celebs and think people that want autographs, pictures with celebs are ridiculous. Fans that approach celebs to tell them their opinion are really doing it for their own gratification. They could just say, "you did a great job on such and such a project" and keep going about their business. But most don't. They really want to talk about themselves in relation to the celeb. They always say, "I thought this about you" or "I thought that about you". Or they want a picture with the fan (so they can show everyone who they met). It really isn't about the celeb at all. It's about the fan. They are all hoping the celeb will like them. That's sad and pathetic

by Anonymousreply 27009/02/2012

I agree r267, if famous person could have their fans all screaming their name in concert or at a movie premiere but never had to interact with them, they'd love it. They want "all the perks and none of the obligation" is exactly right. But when the fans lose interest and their movies bombs it's not like they take their billions and retire with dignity. Oh no, they go on dancing with the stars or some other sad show and hope they can regain some of those pesky fans.

by Anonymousreply 27109/02/2012

[quote]And of course if they want to stay out of the public eye they could live in small towns. But most celebs who bitch about fame CHOOSE to live in NYC, Los Angeles or other big cities - where they are exposed to lots of fans and other people. I don't feel sorry for any celeb who chooses to live near Los Angeles.

They have to live in LA or NY (If they're in theater) because that's where the industry is. Networking, meetings and other neccessities of the working actor. You can't hole up in Montana for the entire year and expect to still be part of the game in Hollywood. You have to keep yourself front and center where the Industry is. It's all part of the job.

by Anonymousreply 27209/02/2012

R270, you make a point; for the fan, it IS all about the fan.

But, of course, for the actor, it's all about the actor.

"I met another fan today who wanted a picture with ME."

by Anonymousreply 27309/02/2012

The only time I've ever approached a celeb was David Tennant, after he'd done a show, because a friend of mine who's a model was due to work with him and wanted to ask him something beforehand. He was very kind and gracious to everyone, even the ones who tried to physically grab him or follow him after he left, but the fans were mainly either men with big folders of Doctor Who photos (obviously eBayers) or scary middle aged women. We got chatting to his security guy who pointed out one little group of women and said they followed him everywhere, to every appearance and turned up at stage door every night when he did a play. There were a lot of kids there and he obviously loved signing for the kids and spent a lot more time with the kids than with anyone else. He did spent a lot more time with my friend than with the other women fans too. Maybe it's because she was a legit actress/model and not a scary 'fangirl' but I bet actors prefer hot fans coming up to them/

by Anonymousreply 27409/02/2012

There are two kinds OP.

1) People who hate their fans because they hate themselves;

and

2) People who think that celebrity requires DISTANCE, that people only worship those they can't get too close to.

by Anonymousreply 27509/02/2012

The writer Janet Flanner every so often used to see Picasso in a restaurant but always left him alone with his dinner and his friends. Years later, they met when she was to do a New Yorker profile on him and he demanded, hurt, to know why she never came over to say hello during those dinners.

by Anonymousreply 27609/02/2012

R269--As I said, I was an obsessive fan. Add to that, every time I bought tickets to her concerts, I landed the best tickets in the house. I was living in the fantasy that I was, officially her #1 fan.

During her Court & Spark tour, though, she had become really popular, (at a time where I, her #1 fan, had decided her best work was behind her), and here I found myself in the back balcony of Constitution Hall. In my row and the row behind were a couple dozen of my friends; among them, I was _the_ official Joni Mitchell fan.

She did a set with the LA Express, took a break, and then did an acoustic set by herself. I think the song she was about to start was "The Arrangement." the audience was appropriately silent, which I think really dates this story.

I screamed out, at the top of my lungs, "You don't need a band." she responded, "Yeah,but they're great and a lot of fun."

In my immature teenaged asshole mind, Joni had just spoken to me. This time, not in her music, but in response to something I had said to her.

The one thing I learned that night is that I have an extraordinarily loud voice when I scream. If I had screamed at 1/4 the volume, she would have had no problem hearing me.

The review of her concert the next day in The Washington Post revolved around the strangeness of the idea the Joni Mitchell was trying to rock out. It mentioned that one fellow in the audience screamed out, "You don't need no band."

I want to slap myself thinking about that. The poor woman was just doing her job, and some asshole teenager did what he could to throw her off her game.

This was my second-most embarrassing Joni Mitchell moment.

by Anonymousreply 27709/02/2012

R149/R277 Thanks for sharing.

Were you the one that screamed "You have more class than Richard Nixon, Mick Jagger and Gomer Pyle combined!" on Miles of Aisles? LOL

by Anonymousreply 27809/02/2012

Bruce Willis told Kevin Smith when they were working on Cop Out that he hated his fans,saying he hated the ones that screamed the most.Bruce Willis must be a truely miserable person to be around.

by Anonymousreply 27909/02/2012

r279, he didn't say he hated the ones that screamed. He said he hated the ones who liked Die Hard the most. This was said to Smith after some fans in a passing car screamed out his character's name from Die Hard.

Sad that an actor would especially hate the fans of the thing that made him a movie star, rather than just a TV actor.

by Anonymousreply 28009/02/2012

I have my own criteria. I wouldn't want or care about someone who's famous for being famous. But given the opportunity to see a gifted artist in a play, or a film, or a musical performance, or lecture, or book signing, I'm talking about someone with a special gift, who gives me pleasure, who moves me, then, yes.

I'll want to commemorate the experience by getting an autograph or even a photo. I see nothing wrong with that. I'd never intrude on a celebrity I saw at a restaurant or bar, or a store. I'd never intrude on someone who is on their personal time, period. I might smile and say hello, but that is all.

For me the autograph is just a little souvenir or a rememberance of a wonderful experience.

by Anonymousreply 28109/02/2012

I asked Mr Roper for his autograph and he wanted to charge me a dollar for it. Don Knotts signed my book for free

by Anonymousreply 28209/03/2012

In case no one mentioned don't think Barbra hates her fans. Maybe when she was younger but not now.

by Anonymousreply 28309/03/2012

The only bad experience I've had with a celebrity was utterly random. I was waiting on the street for my dentist's office to open and one of the Oasis guys was walking in front of me. I didn't even recognize who he was until he had passed by, and I guess I looked at him too long or something because he gave me the nastiest look. Just looked me directly in the eyes with this awful scowl on his face.

by Anonymousreply 28409/03/2012

I have seen even boho/Williamsburgh-ish hipster musicians head for the hills when fans recognize them on the street. It's not just the silver screen usual suspects who don't want to be bothered

by Anonymousreply 28609/03/2012

r247, David Tennant is always great to all his fans, even the scary ones, when he is alone. When his wife is around, I don't mean out with his family in private but things like stage door after a play, he acts real grumpy and won't even say hi. Some people think it's because his wife hates his fans, others think it's because he's obsessed with keeping his relationship hidden and private.

by Anonymousreply 28709/03/2012

Well fortunately for Justin r285, little girls are notoriously fickle so in a few years he won't have any to hate.

by Anonymousreply 28809/03/2012

Which stars are known to be miserable people in general,even to their costars?

by Anonymousreply 28909/05/2012

When I was a baby gay, I met an old drag queen who was a Joan Crawford Fan. They corresponded from when he was a baby gay in the 40s until close to her death. They met sometime time in the 50s. He had several pictures of them together. He had many autographed pictures of Joan, and many many letters she wrote to him over the years. He had this small shadowbox table with a crystal ashtray filled with JC's lipstick stained cigarette butts.

And he died believing Christina Crawford's book was totally fabricated.

by Anonymousreply 29009/06/2012

fuck the pussy celebrtities they are a bunch of ego fucker nut sacks!

by Anonymousreply 29209/16/2012

Seth Macfarlane. He has been condenscending to his followers on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 29309/16/2012

Who really cares. They are all just human.

by Anonymousreply 29411/02/2012

[quote]Justin Bieber owns this thread.

Well, he'd better start trying to act real nice real asap. I believe this was in the Timberlake-Biel marriage thread. Someone who is familiar with some on his management team said that they openly discuss what they're going to do with him next because he has no real marketable talent or personality to take him beyond his soon-to-expire teeny bopper appeal. They're getting him into photo ops with rappers, at basketball games, etc. to keep him in the press. Might explain the new hideous tattoos

by Anonymousreply 29611/03/2012

Tom Cruise is super nice to his fans and I once met him at a coffee shop when he was filming War of the Worlds in New Jersey. He was very chaming and classy when I greeted him and asked for an autograph.

by Anonymousreply 29703/31/2013

R297 I agree about Tom Cruise. I saw him at a concert once, and he was waving, smiling, and shaking hands with fans as he walked towards his seat. He may be strange, but I have to give him credit for being really nice to his fans. Some celebs could learn a thing or two from him regarding how to treat fans.

by Anonymousreply 29803/31/2013

I once askd Cameron Diaz for a photo and she quickly got in her car almost driving me over.

by Anonymousreply 29903/31/2013

Prince clearly owns this thread.

Between his hysterical shrieks of "I get PAID for photo shoots!" if a fan dares take a picture of him, his dead-culture insistence that no one be allowed to sing a song he's released without his permission, and suing people over online use of his (ripped-off) Symbol, he's easily the Lion King of biting the hand that feeds his vegan ass.

by Anonymousreply 30003/31/2013

r293 macfarlane has been condescending to the world since he got a gig airing his opinions through the medium of animation...

find any clip of him at comicon and see his reaction when someone asks a question that he does not like or if they are a teen, he fucking rude and patronising to say the least.

that's why he keeps getting older and keeps tapping the same sub 25yo ass... He's not good looking, not witty, not buff, just rich. Anyone his age would tell him to fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 30103/31/2013

I was a fan of a singer once upon a time. He was so awful to his fans it turned me off forever to any celebrity. I would never ask anyone for a picture or autograph again. I won't even say his name - he's not worth the acknowledgement.

by Anonymousreply 30203/31/2013

Babs is a talentless cunt.

by Anonymousreply 30403/31/2013

During the time she lived in Pittsburgh when married to Andre Previn, the then conductor of the Pittsburgh Symphony, Mia Farrow developed a great amount of goodwill among the clerks and cashiers at local department stores.

She never pulled rank or demanded VIP treatment. She patiently waited her turn in line. Said please and thank you. She was gracious and answered questions about Hollywood, Peyton Place, Rosemary's Baby, etc.

When the Woody Allen/Soon-yi affair came to light, the women who worked in the local department stores came to Farrow's defense ... it was as if their sister, their daughter, their best friend was the injured party.

by Anonymousreply 30503/31/2013

Joanie from Three's Company. She was living in a trailer in Indiana and told her fans, all three of them, that unless they gave her drug money she wouldn't sleep with them.

Or maybe they weren't fans exactly, but she still said it.

by Anonymousreply 30603/31/2013

So many celebs think they are royalty. They have totally forgotten what it's like being a normal human being. One person who is NOT like that is comedian Rip Taylor. He is friendly towards his fans and very respectful. Same with Debbie Reynolds. On the other hand, I've heard that Dionne Warwick is a complete C*N*

by Anonymousreply 30704/04/2013

Ben Affleck. You can tell he makes movies for the accolades from his peers- not the unwashed public. The site of him practically biting his knuckles at the Oscars, begging for the praise only the Academy could give him, was gross.

Check out this bizarre Q&A event. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I will not be in the same room with peasants.

by Anonymousreply 30804/04/2013

I don't know much about Will Ferrell, but perhaps he just doesn't bother with all the celebrity BS like other famous people. All that "I love my fans" stuff is so obnoxious and fake. I don't believe celebrities like Gaga gives a a single thought to her "little monsters" when she's away from the camera. I have more respect for the celebrities who don't pretend, than those who go on and on about how much they just love their fans, which in reality is just pandering to the masses.

by Anonymousreply 31006/03/2013

r306, Joanie was on "Happy Days."

by Anonymousreply 31106/03/2013

celebrities should really be thanking their fans. because if it wasn't for their fans they wouldn't have a pot to piss in or window to throw it from. because everyone would stop watching movies listening to their music or buy their books or whatever. just because you made a few bad CDs and a few bad movies and people love you for it doesn't mean you have the right to ignore people that's the price you pay when you become a celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 31206/21/2013

I understand both sides of the argument. True, celebrities should understand what they're getting into when they break into show business. And true, they shouldn't be total pricks to the people that got them where they are today. But, fans should also understand that when celebs aren't working or are at a restaurant they shouldn't approach them. And the obsessed fans need to get a handle on it. If you go up to ANY person, celeb or a random person on the street, and start fawning/begging/terrorizing them, chances are they're going to be rude. I've written to two wonderful women in the biz. One answers her own fan mail and sent me an autographed picture (which I didn't ask for). I simply wrote telling her that I admired her and her work. The other also sent me an autographed pic, personalized, although I'm not sure if she answers her own fan mail. Both are extremely kind and gracious to their fans.

by Anonymousreply 31307/17/2013

[quote]People like Madonna, Streisand, Whitney Houston, I've heard countless stories of them just being mean to average, everyday fans.

Madonna and Streisand absolutely treat their fans like shit, but Whitney Houston does not belong on that list at all.

Even when she was going through obvious problems, she still took the time to sign autographs for fans outside her hotels, as shown in this video. And notice she doesn't just do a quick scribble, she give a real autograph.

by Anonymousreply 31407/18/2013

R300 And that his shitty attitude certainly isn't helping the state of his career these days.

by Anonymousreply 31507/18/2013

[266], see, this is why people should follow me.

I'm not going to toss them all in a pit of death for not being obedient on a book of falsified truths.

Seriously humans, come to my side instead of rooting for this idiot over here.

by Anonymousreply 31607/26/2013

Rick Springfield said it best when he said he hates how some celebs treat their fans as if they are a bothersome burden. If not for fans in the audience screaming for you, your material would just sit on the shelf and collect dust.

by Anonymousreply 31707/26/2013

Janet LUVS her fans

by Anonymousreply 31807/26/2013

R158 Well don't leave us hanging, tell us who the star is!

by Anonymousreply 31907/26/2013

Prince! Treats his fans like absolute dirt.

by Anonymousreply 32007/26/2013

I'm sure he's already been mentioned, but Shatner

by Anonymousreply 32107/26/2013

I blame the fans. If the fans would stop supporting celebs who treat them like shit, the celebs would be forced to either be nicer or they wouldn't have careers. I never understand people who go ballistic when meeting their favorite star. I understand even less the fans who continue to support celebs after having a rude encounter.

by Anonymousreply 32207/26/2013

If I were approached by people every two seconds everywhere I went, every fucking day of my life, I wouldn't always be in the greatest mood. I can understand celebrities who just want some alone time if they're having a shitty day or are running late for something.

by Anonymousreply 32307/26/2013

I once worked at a casino where Witney Houston & Bobby Brown were appearing. We (department managers) were told by Mr. Brown 's staff that we were to instruct our staff that they were to turn and face the wall if Ms. Houston walked by them on her way to or from the stage. I was a new manager to this company and just laughed and told the meeting that I had worked at Buckngham Palace and we didn't have to do that for the Queen, so I sure as hell wasn't going to tell my staff to do it for some drug-fucked bitch. The staff did NOT end up turning to the wall. Oh, yes, also, Mr. Brown complained that the casino was situated on a street called "Whiteman street", change it !!!! Moronic trash.

by Anonymousreply 32407/26/2013

I think that's why celebrities like to come down here to New Zealand. Being such a small country, all our local celebrities/tv stars etc just go about their daily business like everyone else. They use the supermarket, go to the shops, go out for lunch and coffee just like everyday people in everyday places. So, for city dwellers it is no big deal to see a celebrity.

So, aside from pre-teens getting all excited about 1D or Bieber, people can usually come here and just get left alone. The press will take pictures, but they are not encouraged to do so by the general public or officials.

I remember reading in the paper that Tom Cruise likes being here because he can just go to the fish and chip shop and pick up takeaways like a normal person. Although "normal person" is not applicable in his case.

Perhaps they should lace the snapper with arsenic and do everyone a favour.

by Anonymousreply 32502/19/2014

That could also be why crap like Kim Kardashian handbags never sell here.

by Anonymousreply 32602/19/2014

To be fair, New Zealand is the size of Nebraska - if there were any famous people there how could you NOT run into them? When they're not on set of whatever LOTR property is currently running the economy.

by Anonymousreply 32702/19/2014

There's a few celebrities who really, really seem to hate their fans. It seems to be worst in the celebs who really wish they were famous in a different way. Bieber, for one, is so ashamed that he's not a tough, hood black guys (like his "crew"). This leads to behavior like the spitting on his idiot fans, because they remind him what he really is famous for (being a feminine, nonthreatening teen idol for 12 year old suburban girls).

by Anonymousreply 32802/19/2014

[quote] Didn't Sharon Stone once offer a small boy who asked for her autograph a five dollar bill instead?

This made me lol

by Anonymousreply 32902/19/2014

Waiting in line to see "Variations" I spotted Charlie Gibson the news Anchor.

I walked over and thanked him for his "I can see Russia from my house" Sarah Palin interview. I expressed my appreciation for saving the Western Hemisphere. He looked at his shoes and tried not to laugh. I made another comment or two - realized he was a newsman and couldnt "have an opinion." Apologized and he liked that. He asked me abou my job and travels. It was a nice chat.

I bet he told that stupid story for years. He is a nice guy. AND he really did save the world.

by Anonymousreply 33002/20/2014

I have a theory that celebrities who refuse to sign autographs are homosexual or bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 33102/22/2014

I haven't read thru this entire thread (battery running low) but I wouldn't say that Rhianna was nice to fans. Didn't she whack some poor girl in the face, for getting too close at a gig? I wish to name and shame Iva Davies from Icehouse. I attended a charity gig, tickets were AU$220 and included a pass to the after party, to "party with the entire cast." The gig was disappointment enough. I had been falsely lead to believe that my favorite singer (for whom I have crossed land and sea and would pay almost any price) would be "headlining." He was 1st cab off the rank,but sang only two songs, just like everyone else. This included an autistic 17YO, who had made remarkable progress thru the chosen charity (a music therapy center.) No doubt I'll get clobbered for being elitist, but the kid sang flat and his voice was harsh and ugly. Still, he got more applause than anyone, good for him. I was pissed that so much time was taken up by the compare's monologue and auctions. Good causes are all very well, but that was not what I played $220 for. The after party was a total non-event. Only 2 of the stars even showed, one of whom was Iva Davies. He sat in a corner booth of the darkened bar, with the shades on (dickhead!) chatting happily with an older-looking woman. I have always enjoyed his music and had a huge crush on him in my preteens. I thought I'd meet him and have a laugh about the magazine pic of him that I kissed so many times that the page wore out. As I shifted thru the crowd, I was greeted by a woman, who had been hired by Davies to keep fans away. "I'm going to have to ask you not to approach Mr Davies and his partner.", she said in a very posh voice. Who the bloody hell does he think he is? He hasn't had a hit since the turn of the century! I gave him the finger and a filthy look on my way out and abused the fuck out him on FB the following day. Comments on his FB photos are private, so I suspect he'd already copped some abuse. I had already been somewhat badly treated by my aforementioned favourite singer. I won't go into details, other than to say I've been a fool more than once, more than twice. I allowed his cruelty to destroy my self-image and consequently, my income. He has a song that ends with repeatedly belting out the words, "YOU CAN'T DO WHAT YOU'VE DONE!" Sometimes I'll listen think, "Yeah, ya bastard!", though I wouldn't openly abuse him with a gun to my head. I'm afraid "Mr Davies might have copped it for 2 -BAD LUCK, SCHMUCK!

by Anonymousreply 33203/03/2014

Bette Midler is horrible. She claims she is nice now, but shes not, would even sign her new book after a show recently, and the book just came out, and rather costly too. It would'nt of been so bad if she atleast waved or smiled, she gave the look that looks like she was thinking "these pathetic fans".

by Anonymousreply 33305/01/2014

patrick stewart and halle i can't act berrie

from personal exp and others have said the same

by Anonymousreply 33405/01/2014

R533, if she would sign her book, can she be that bad?

by Anonymousreply 33505/01/2014

Jodi Foster

by Anonymousreply 33605/01/2014

I saw John Lydon spit on a pre-teenaged girl in Upper Darby, PA - and the girl's mother, the obsessed Pistols/Lydon fan was thrilled. It was like a blessing to her, she was over the moon.

by Anonymousreply 33705/01/2014

I usually think real artists, whether they are singers, actors, painters or writers, are grounded and appreciate when somebody complements them on their work.

Celebrities are not necessary artists though! Just as fans are not necessary normal people enjoying what somebody talented does. I am sure some fans are crayyzze and scarry.

by Anonymousreply 33805/01/2014

[quote]Bette Midler is horrible. She claims she is nice now, but shes not, would even sign her new book after a show recently, and the book just came out, and rather costly too. It would'nt of been so bad if she atleast waved or smiled, she gave the look that looks like she was thinking "these pathetic fans".

Her fans ARE pathetic if they continue to be fans after being treated like that. Why give money to an asshole?

by Anonymousreply 33905/01/2014

This is off-topic, but I met Cynthia Nixon with wife and kids in Paris in a "gay" bakery a couple of years ago and she was as gracious as it gets when I whispered on her passage that I was a big fan of hers. She said "thank you so much!" with a big smile and "we are all having a blast here in Paris, aren't we" while looking at her children and then just proceeded out of the bakery with her folk.

by Anonymousreply 34005/01/2014

I like to grab and spread my fans by the head and ribs, then rapidly shake and wave them. It really cools me down.

by Anonymousreply 34105/01/2014

Celebs are more paranoid now then years ago. They should be! Lots and lots of stalker freaks out there. You can't realize how scary it would be unless you were in their shoes.

by Anonymousreply 34205/01/2014

"Just seeing the celebrity in person should be enough..."

Oh, puleeeeze...

by Anonymousreply 34305/01/2014

"I don't expect performers to be too chatty and in the socializing mood after a play or a concert which can be very emotionally and physically draining"

And again, oh puleeeeze....

by Anonymousreply 34405/01/2014

I wonder what Benedictinemonk Cucumberpatchdoll thinks about his obsessive fans. Supposedly he's very nice to them but they seem unhinged and most of them, quite frankly, are quite ugly.

by Anonymousreply 34505/01/2014

I have a Bette Midler story. I've probably told this before since I've posted here for 13 years. Who knows, I might have even posted it on this thread. I'm getting old.

Anyway, I used to usher at an off-broadway theatre. Bette came to see the show, but arrived a few minutes after the curtain went up. I told her that I couldn't seat her right away, that I had to wait for the next scene change (for all productions, the stage manager would set a seating cue to seat late comers, to cause the least distraction to the audience). She didn't like that, threw the whole "don't you know who I am?" thing...I told her it didn't matter, she still had to wait like everyone else.

I will say this-she apologized to me after the show and told me to have a good evening.

by Anonymousreply 34605/01/2014

Come to think of it, that's probably the one negative (well, mostly negative) experience I had with a celebrity at that theatre, and I worked there for years and met everyone from Jean Stapleton to Britney Spears. I vaguely remember Tony Randall being an asshole, though I can't remember the exact exchange. I think his wife was nice though.

Probably the nicest was Paul Newman. He got one of those assisted hearing devices, left a credit card to hold it (most theatres require either a credit card or driver's license to hold) Then he came back a few minutes later and said "my wife yelled at me and said I shouldn't leave my credit card" and he swapped it for his driver's license. He struck up a really nice conversation with me about theatre, the weather, etc. I gave him a free cup of coffee while we chatted. You know I didn't even realize until he walked away that that was PAUL NEWMAN!

by Anonymousreply 34705/01/2014

R336 If anyone deserves a pass for not being friendly to fans, it is Jodi Foster. She tried being nice to John Hinckley and that did not turn out so well.

by Anonymousreply 34905/01/2014

Justin Bieber owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 35005/01/2014

[quote]I think that's why celebrities like to come down here to New Zealand. Being such a small country, all our local celebrities/tv stars etc just go about their daily business like everyone else. They use the supermarket, go to the shops, go out for lunch and coffee just like everyday people in everyday places. So, for city dwellers it is no big deal to see a celebrity.

But wasn't Lorde mobbed by the paparazzi and she got rather annoyed when she got home from the Grammys?

by Anonymousreply 35105/01/2014

I have to say, I'd be a little cautious if I were a celebrity, too.

I love to follow celebrities/fandoms on twitter, instagram, etc. I notice some patterns. Mariska Hargitay, for example, has a ton of fans who go to watch SVU being filmed in the streets of NYC. She seems to be extraordinarily gracious to them, moreso than some other celebs. But I think it would make me a little nervous if I were in her shoes. Her address is easily found on google, and she shares a lot of her life on social media. I'd be afraid that someone who is unbalanced/mentally ill would mistake kindness/sharing info on twitter, etc for actual friendship and stalk me. A lot of crazy people out there...

by Anonymousreply 35205/01/2014

R235, thanks for sharing. It must suck having to deal with that part of the business. Like any business, it's work.

Again, thanks for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 35305/01/2014

I met Rachel Mcadams once. Lovely Girl!

by Anonymousreply 35405/01/2014

R207, I totally feel what you are getting at. While no show-stopper by any means, I often get unwanted attention (relatively young, and female), and cannot wait for the day when it is over.

And, yes, there is an entitlement coming from, I guess, men who nobody would give the time of day to, along the lines of "you should be grateful for the attention!" - No. It is annoying to get so much unwanted attention. It is undesired, uninteresting, and a waste of time.

Most likely this aggressive behaviour is coming from people no-one is ever interested in.

Once or twice (well, at least twice) I've had famous writers make eye contact with me at events. But, either they were talking to someone or I was too shy to come up to them.

It must suck being a celebrity, unless you meet interesting people professionally, through your work. Meeting intersting people among your audience must be especially difficult, especially if you are viewed as desirable, then it must be a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 35505/01/2014

I heard one about Bea Arthur in which a gay male fan was awed when he saw he and gushed about how much he liked her and on & on. Then he made the fateful mistake of saying how much her portrayal of Dorothy Zbornak reminded him of his grandmother. Arthur allegedly told him, "Kid, I am NOT your fucking grandmother" and walked off.

by Anonymousreply 35605/01/2014

R158, clues please! I'm thinking pop starlet. Possibly English.

by Anonymousreply 35705/01/2014

R356, I read that once in a newspaper interview Rufus Wainwright gave. I wonder if that is the fan you are referrint to.

by Anonymousreply 35805/01/2014

[quote]R358

Could be. I think that they're better off to say nothing. Many of them just repeat a few times, "how sweet" until they can get away. It's not worth ticking off a fan.

by Anonymousreply 35905/01/2014

Justin Bieber genuinely seems to hate his fans because he wants to be Kanye West and as it is he just makes a commercial product to sell to teenage girls, he is like a Barbie or something only less iconic.

by Anonymousreply 36005/01/2014

I guess it's nice to make money from what you like to do. Most people who are in the artistic fields have years and years before they actually make money from their profession.

But it would completely freak me out to be followed by obsessive fans who show up at every event, hang around celebs private homes.

Some celebs have to hire bodyguards to be with them whenever they walk around, because some nutcase is stalking them.

by Anonymousreply 36105/01/2014

[quote][R336] If anyone deserves a pass for not being friendly to fans, it is Jodi Foster. She tried being nice to John Hinckley and that did not turn out so well.

Foster being a cold person has nothing to do with Hinckley.

by Anonymousreply 36205/01/2014

When I was a little kid, we saw Bill Crosby filming his first series at the beach. My mom gushed over him, and he was lovely and very patient with her. I remember being impressed with how nice he was. He gave her his autograph, which she claimed was for my brother...just a nice memory.

by Anonymousreply 36305/01/2014

r363, knowing what we know about Dr. Cosby (yes, we must refer to him as "Doctor" with that Ed.D. he bought), he was probably trying to land your mother in the sack.

You didn't have a slightly darker brother or sister born 9 months after your meeting with the good doctor?

by Anonymousreply 36405/01/2014

the lead singer of radiohead. kanye west.

by Anonymousreply 36505/01/2014

Joe Mankiewicz, Linda Darnell & Sidney Poitier on the set of NO WAY OUT (1950).

by Anonymousreply 36605/01/2014

Why do celebrities owe fans anything?

Just because you watch somebody in a TV show it should automatically obligate an actor to give you an autograph.

The same for buying an musician's CD.

by Anonymousreply 36705/01/2014

R362 Jodi Foster having issues when it comes to fans has everything to do with being the victim of a crazy stalker.

by Anonymousreply 36805/02/2014

R277, so what was your #1 most embarrassing moment with Joni?

by Anonymousreply 36905/02/2014

R368, people forget that there was another man, Edward Richardson, who was obsessed with Jodie around the same time and stalked her at Yale and was planning to shoot her but decided against it because "she was too pretty." I'm surprised she didn't flee the country.

by Anonymousreply 37005/02/2014

April Lavigne doesn't want icky fans anywhere near her - even those who pay $400 for the privilege.

Isn't she a has-been?

by Anonymousreply 37105/04/2014

R371 I wouldn't pay $4 to meet this has-been, let alone $400. Who are these idiots?

by Anonymousreply 37205/04/2014

They took the idols and smashed them, the Fairbankses, the Gilberts, the Valentinos! And who've we got now? Some nobodies!

There once was a time in this business when I had the eyes of the whole world! But that wasn't good enough for them, oh no! They had to have the ears of the whole world too. So they opened their big mouths and out came talk. Talk! TALK!

by Anonymousreply 37305/04/2014

[quote] Why do celebrities owe fans anything?

They don't. But it's part of being a celeb. It's 2014. Not 1972. We the internet, we have 24 hour tv. We have 24 news shows about celebs.

It's part of being a celeb. See how I didn't say it's part of being an actor? These people are not interested in acting. They are interested in being rich and famous. If they only cared about acting they could do plays. They could act to their hearts delight at the local playhouse. But they aren't doing that. They want to earn millions and millions of dollars for hardly any work. Many of them also happy to shill or put their name on a line of crappy, overpriced products that they want their fans to buy. And that's fine, but there are conditions on that all of that.

Most celebs who hate their fans have enough money that they never, ever have to work again. So why don't they go away and live in peace?

by Anonymousreply 37405/04/2014

Johnny Weir talks about his overweight female fans behind their backs - he hates fat girls.

by Anonymousreply 37505/04/2014

Colin Kaepernick hates kids.

by Anonymousreply 37605/04/2014

A friend told me Mary Tyler Moore refused to sign the bootleg LP of her flop musical BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S that was out there. Probably not because she was mean but because the show was such a painful experience for her.

by Anonymousreply 37705/04/2014

Diahann Carroll was horrible to her fans. And this was before the dementia set in.

by Anonymousreply 37805/04/2014

Gee whiz guys, I've gotten nicer since I am now making my BROADWAY debut in CABARET, the classic Tony nominated musical! I love my fans who stand outside Studio 54 eight performances a week!!!

by Anonymousreply 37905/04/2014

[R362] Jodi Foster having issues when it comes to fans has everything to do with being the victim of a crazy stalker.

Did you actually read what I said? I commented on her cold personality in general, not her stand-offish behavior towards fans.

Her name is Jodie, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 38005/04/2014

"Just seeing the celebrity in person should be enough..."

Yes, Gwyneth.

by Anonymousreply 38105/04/2014

The only "celebrite" I know about is this one. And she's clearly gay, too!

by Anonymousreply 38205/04/2014

Oops! Sorry about the bad link. Try this one.

by Anonymousreply 38305/04/2014

One thing I will never understand is why people care about celeb baby photos. I think all babies look the same. Yet, some tabloid will pay large sums to feature such a photo on its cover.

by Anonymousreply 38405/04/2014

I have met tons of celebrities. My friends joke that I have some sort of weird power because when I'm in NYC or LA, I'm constantly running into them. I've never even thought about asking for an autograph. I don't get that concept.

They have all been nice (Selma Blair, Seann William Scott, Nina Garcia were the nicest) and some I've spoken to, others I've just nodded to or smiled.

The only one who was ever an asshole was Liev Schreiber.

by Anonymousreply 38505/05/2014

R385, you are my twin from another planet! I do the same in Paris and London.

by Anonymousreply 38605/05/2014

[quote]I have met tons of celebrities. My friends joke that I have some sort of weird power because when I'm in NYC or LA, I'm constantly running into them. I've never even thought about asking for an autograph. I don't get that concept.

Same here. But when you're in NYC or LA, if you take time to look at people, instead of just rushing past everyone in a daze, you'll end up seeing celebs on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 38711/20/2014

Alec Guinness famously didn't care much for Star Wars. In his diary he wrote:

I shrivel inside each time it is mentioned. Twenty years ago, when the film was first shown, it had a freshness, also a sense of moral good and fun. Then I began to be uneasy at the influence it might be having. The first bad penny dropped in San Francisco when a sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times. His elegant mother nodded with approval. Looking into the boy's eyes I thought I detected little star-shells of madness beginning to form and I guessed that one day they would explode.

'I would love you to do something for me,' I said.

'Anything! Anything!' the boy said rapturously.

'You won't like what I'm going to ask you to do,' I said.

'Anything, sir, anything!'

'Well,' I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?'

He burst into tears. His mother drew herself up to an immense height. 'What a dreadful thing to say to a child!' she barked, and dragged the poor kid away. Maybe she was right but I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities.”

by Anonymousreply 38811/21/2014

Richard Dean Anderson has a lot of disdain for his MacGyver role and I think he resents fans who have followed him from that era.

by Anonymousreply 38911/21/2014

R389 If Patty and Selma ever read that, they'd have to be talked down from a ledge.

What does he think of those MacGyver references in The Simpsons?

by Anonymousreply 39011/21/2014

I love Alec Guiness for that.

I think leave celebrities alone. You've no idea how small you make yourself look when you bother a perfect stranger.

by Anonymousreply 39111/21/2014

I don't talk to strangers myself, but I always believed that the reason they get paid such ridiculous sums is to put up with the inconvenience of being recognized and sometimes bothered.

by Anonymousreply 39211/21/2014

Well R392, I'm sure CEOs make more money yet it's doubtful that you bother them. I don't think you should assume you have rights over other people's lives for any reason.

by Anonymousreply 39311/21/2014

CEOs don't depend on anyone's viewing support or adoration for their continuing careers. Actors and singers do

Don't want to be nice to your fans? Fine. But don't complain if the public hates you or if former fans talk about what a shit you were to them--you asked for it.

by Anonymousreply 39411/21/2014

I think it also depends on how you approach the celebrity too. If you see they are on a date with their significant other, or out to eat with their families, or anything else important - obviously, don't go barging in and interrupting them.

There was a video that surfaced a few years ago of some lady and her little daughter trying to get Mary J. Blige's autograph as she walked by a crowd of people. Mary wasn't signing autographs, she was just shuffling into some other engagement, and the lady actually called her a "bitch" as she walked by. Fortunately the camera crew followed Mary into her dressing room, and you could see her going off on that lady for calling her a "bitch". It was a hoot, and that "fan" was definitely acting like they were entitled to an autograph or something.

by Anonymousreply 39511/21/2014

@R365 My friends and I were seated next to Bea Arthur for breakfast one morning at a diner when we were visiting New York. She was having breakfast by herself, and there was a small glass divider between our booth and hers.

I kept joking to my friends that she looked like "that old lady from Golden Girls, the tall one" and I could see out of the corner of my eye she was clearly getting annoyed.

As we were leaving I asked the hostess if that was in fact her, and she said yes, then it hit me how much we were joking about her right to her face. I'm surprised she didn't tell us all off, lol.

This was back in 1999.

by Anonymousreply 39611/21/2014

R396, you realize that would have been obnoxious even if she wasn't actually Bea Arthur, right?

I hope you were 12 at the time.

by Anonymousreply 39711/21/2014

R397 I know, it is rather rude to talk about someone when they can easily hear you.

by Anonymousreply 39811/21/2014

From reading fan encounter horror stories on various sites: Diana Ross Lady Gaga Justin Bieber Jennifer Aniston Justin Timberlake Avril Lavigne Raven Symone Jennifer Garner

by Anonymousreply 39911/21/2014

Regarding autographs and bothering celebrities:

Yes, it's rude to bother people, but it's also incredibly unwise for celebrities to blow off fans who try this shit. Celebrities rely on fan support to earn their disproportionately large incomes, and pissing off fans is bad business. Any fan who gets blown off is going to become an ex-fan, and may very well go to some fan forum (or the tabs) and convince other people to become ex-fans. If a celebrity wants to stay a celebrity, they'd damn well learn to grin and bear it.

by Anonymousreply 40011/21/2014

This thread is interesting to read. On the photo requests, I'm told that if you take a photo with a fan, it is common that other people quickly join and ask "can I take one with you, too?". Requests may come from people who do not actually recognize the celebrity, but want the photo anyhow. An acquaintance of mine did that with Gerard Depardieu in France. She saw a French family taking a photo, and just nudged her kid up against his motorcycle for the photo, then showed it to friends to figure out who Depardieu is. In the photo, the kid looks so mystified.

by Anonymousreply 40111/22/2014

I look a bit like two actors, and on New Years Eve here in NYC I usually get a few tipsy people stumbling toward me to say "Yo, man! It'sh sho-and-sho!.". And it's a little awkward when they realize I am not. It's also a little gross because they sometimes get really close to you, and spit and slur. Sober people, too, can get disinhibited around celebrities. You can see this because often an accompanying friend or partner tries to intervene and plead "oh...please don't bother her...she's with her family..."

by Anonymousreply 40211/22/2014

i have two ceiling fans that keep shorting out on me.

I hate them.

by Anonymousreply 40311/22/2014

I've met a lot of celebrities, moving back and forth between California & NY.

So, I'll just share my experiences.

Joaquin Phoenix; he was really nice & he talked to me for a while, but he seemed really shy and nervous. He also said he never really left his house much.

Cameron Diaz; told me to get away before she got "her people" on me. Seriously just an asshole.

Misha Collins; He was seriously the sweetest person. He hugged me and I didn't even ask. He's the best guy ever.

Mark Ruffalo; He was friendly, but he seemed irritated.

Miley Cyrus; surprisingly, she was really nice..

Gerard Way; He was nice, smiled a lot, but didn't talk much.

Frank Iero; He was an absolute sweetheart, but refused to let me hug him due to him wanting 'personal space'.

Billy Corgan was a serious asshole, wouldn't do much, called his fans annoying, refused a hug & wouldn't sign my poster. :( The first time I met him in 94', he was actually a very sweet guy who would hug you tight. I was crying because it was my first concert, and he hugged me and laughed and said "don't cry, you're happy" and he was super lovable. No idea why he changed so drastically.

Lou Gramm; was a complete asshole. No other word. Just rude. Grumpy old man problems, I suppose.

I've saw Justin Bieber yell at his young fans & it was ridiculous. He needs to get over him self.

My mom once met Jim Morrison & claimed he let her give him a kiss & that he was really nice.

Also, I'm apparently related to Johnny Cash, (don't know how true it is) but my mamaw said he was a cousin of hers, but she said he was always nice.

by Anonymousreply 40401/11/2015

[quote]I've met a lot of celebrities, moving back and forth between California & NY.

So, like, when they're not working on a gig they'll come and pack up your stuff?

Who drives the truck?

by Anonymousreply 40501/11/2015

Off topic, but anybody know where the paparazzi post their photos, i.e. the ones they sell to the Daily Mail etc.? I know the websites that have all the official celeb photos taken at events (newzcard, etc.) Where are the more interesting pap shots?

by Anonymousreply 40602/15/2015

Why would you be surprised Miley was nice? I've never heard otherwise. Stories?

by Anonymousreply 40702/15/2015

R407 Because she doesn't have the classiest image.

by Anonymousreply 40802/15/2015

Classy image is no indicator of niceness. Believe me.

by Anonymousreply 40902/15/2015

Well, classy people tend to have good manners and trashy people tend not to.

by Anonymousreply 41002/15/2015

[quote]You've no idea how small you make yourself look when you bother a perfect stranger.

MARY!

We all fear your terrible judgement!

by Anonymousreply 41102/15/2015

[quote]You can't hole up in Montana for the entire year and expect to still be part of the game in Hollywood

Jessica Lange lived at the absolute height of her career for years in Stillwater, MN; she's lived for years now in Charlottesville, VA. Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan live in Montana (and did when their careerswere bigger).

by Anonymousreply 41202/15/2015

I collected autographs as a kid. I framed them and put them on my bedroom wall. Sad as it now sounds these people were incredibly inspirational. My family were factory workers and negative nancies. They honestly thought going on vacation was a bad idea because you'd still have to come home, have a nice home? Harder to leave behind when you die, take a picture? It will be awful to look at when your looks are gone. Forget having any aspirations of leaving my town and make a better life. I was a smart kid so they wanted me to get a government job for life and stay home.

These actors on my wall were the only people I 'knew' who had done something with the odds stacked against them and succeeded. I always thought they had a life I would want with glamor and travel and making money from your passion. I devoured autobiographies too.

i was sending fan letters and had a very good response rate but my best was Joan Rivers who wrote me a 2 page letter and a included a signed copy of her book. I still have the book! About 3 years ago I was wandering around JFK to pass time when I saw Joan coming towards me. I couldn't resist and approached her. She spent a couple minutes chatting and for old times sake I got her to sign my boarding card.

Looking back now I feel sorry for the lonely, shy kid full of dreams with nobody to share them with. I'm also really thankful I had some outlet though. whatever gets you through life I guess

by Anonymousreply 41302/15/2015

And they are all limousine liberals too. Gross people.

by Anonymousreply 41402/16/2015

Sia. We're not allowed to look at her.

by Anonymousreply 41502/16/2015

Another vote for Cameron Diaz. Fucking talentless cunt bitch from hell.

by Anonymousreply 41602/16/2015
Need more help? Click Here.