Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do those who wear them ever feel self-conscious? Especially the young -- your body is constantly changing. Do you really want people seeing your basket on display? Perhaps Speedo peeps are just attention whores.

by Anonymousreply 10807/11/2014

by Anonymousreply 112/03/2010

mmmm like a sack of grapes.

by Anonymousreply 312/03/2010

In Southern Europe 60 year olds wear them.

by Anonymousreply 412/03/2010

useless w/o-

by Anonymousreply 512/03/2010

If you have a hot bod, then only a Speedo will do. Hiding it behind board shorts ought to be illegal.%0D %0D And bring back the formerly short shorts on basketball players. Hiding all that well muscled leg behind the current ugly knee length pants is a terrible thing.

by Anonymousreply 612/03/2010

Not gonna happen, R6. Kobe Bryant and other NBA stars are on record as saying short shorts are too gay.

by Anonymousreply 712/03/2010

what's wrong with showing your basket? Especially if you've got the goods. I love to show my big junk off. It's fun. And it gets me a lot of attention. Does that make me an attention whore? If so, why more than any woman who shows off her cleavage or any queen showing off his wardrobe or his guns or pecs? Cock and balls deserve just as much respect as tits, guns, ass, pecs, bling or Balenciaga!!!!

by Anonymousreply 812/03/2010

"I love to show my big junk off. Does that make me an attention whore?" More likely you're a writer of fiction.

by Anonymousreply 912/03/2010

Men in Europe only wear long shorts if they want to be stared at.

by Anonymousreply 1012/03/2010

[quote]Men in Europe only wear long shorts if they want to be stared at.

It's true! People wonder, "What is he hiding?"

by Anonymousreply 1112/03/2010

[quote]It's true! People wonder, "What is he hiding?"

And the answer, if you have to wear long baggy shorts, is not much.

by Anonymousreply 1212/03/2010

"Perhaps Speedo peeps are just attention whores," says the 380-pound blob writing from the hovel in the basement.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1312/03/2010

Perhaps Americans just have too many body issues. You spend any time on a South American beach, and it's ALL on display. The good, the bad, and the unspeakably ugly.

by Anonymousreply 1412/03/2010

There's a reason why Brazil is the plastic surgery capitol of the world, R14.

by Anonymousreply 1512/03/2010

I can never date an American guy that wears speedos or bikini brief underwear. For Americans, it is just weird and unmasculine.

by Anonymousreply 1612/03/2010

Short basketball shorts were even worse than speedos. Looking back at old footage makes you wonder how people thought that was cool. Today, they would be laughed out of town for wearing short shorts on a court. Not hot.

by Anonymousreply 1712/03/2010

It's socially acceptable to show off biceps, abs, and pecs because that is a man displaying how powerful and strong he is. It is not socially acceptable to show male genitals or the upper thigh in public. that is considerable creepy or gross. ANd that is unreasonable.

by Anonymousreply 1812/03/2010

Let me guess R18...American?

by Anonymousreply 1912/03/2010

[quote]Today, they would be laughed out of town for wearing short shorts on a court.

They'd un a milke from Aussie (No)Rules Football then.

by Anonymousreply 2012/03/2010

[quote]. It is not socially acceptable to show male genitals or the upper thigh in public.

you're a fool of the first order and I hope a truck hits you

by Anonymousreply 2112/03/2010

That should have read 'run a mile'

by Anonymousreply 2212/03/2010

You know you're a lesbian when you have to google that word.

by Anonymousreply 2312/03/2010

to each their own, but speedos are unattractive to me

by Anonymousreply 2412/04/2010

Only Brazilians wit phat asses look good in speedos!

by Anonymousreply 2512/04/2010

Americans are too fat to wear speedos.

by Anonymousreply 2612/04/2010

Nope R25, those guys are unmasculine and ugly.

by Anonymousreply 2712/04/2010

Unmasculine how, r24? And how can you tell they are ugly if you cannot see their faces?

by Anonymousreply 2812/04/2010

My speedo story, a precautionary tale.

I lived in the desert, and had a backyard pool. I'd wear a speedo in private only. This one time a group of friends and I were in Maui and decided to go on one of those snorkeling excursions. I decided to wear my speedo, but it was underneath my gigantic bloomers. When we got to the destination, I doffed the bloomers and quickly got into the water. I thought, who the hell is going to see me? Everyone is looking at the fish and the coral.

When it was time to go back, I got back on the boat and quickly put on the bloomers. Little did I know that the staff filmed the outing for purchase. And there I was, filmed from below, happily paddling around in my little speedo. I didn't realize I'd gained that much weight. I looked like a gigantic manatee.

by Anonymousreply 2912/04/2010

Guys in speedos are hawt!

by Anonymousreply 3012/04/2010

by Anonymousreply 3112/04/2010

Fit fat?

by Anonymousreply 3212/04/2010

Americans who are afraid of their own bodies are pussies.

by Anonymousreply 3312/04/2010

I like Speedos. When I was a kid the hot, muscular (college age) lifeguards at the public pools wore them.

They made me feel funny "down there" when I looked at them.

Especially the way they looked in profile with the nice curve of their bulge and ass.

by Anonymousreply 3412/04/2010

Speedos just look...lame. A guy is dead to me if he wears speedos.

by Anonymousreply 3512/04/2010

No, I don't feel self conscious. I am 46, and in great shape. I have worn a Speedo since I was a boy. If they don't like it, they can fuck off. It's called BATHING. Why are people so goddamned uptight about their bodies?

by Anonymousreply 3612/07/2010

Attention whores!

by Anonymousreply 3712/12/2010

It's amazing today that guys are so afraid of showing off their body in a speedo, or god forbid getting undressed in a locker room. But go online, and they're all whipping their dicks out for a permanent record.

by Anonymousreply 3812/12/2010

I like 'em. I don't have the dick to carry off wearing one myself, but I appreciate guys that do .....

by Anonymousreply 3912/12/2010

So true, R38!

by Anonymousreply 4012/12/2010

I have a lot of body issues, far more than most men do. I'd never wear a speedo. I have a hard enough time taking my shirt off in front of anybody.

Yes, I'm American. I haven't yet sought therapy for this, though I know I should.

by Anonymousreply 4112/12/2010

LOL %0D %0D ww r23!

by Anonymousreply 4212/12/2010

Whenever a dude with speedo pics online tries to contact me online, I BLOCK him. I just don't see American guys who wear speedos as masculine or normal. They come across as effeminate or creepy exhibitionist. I am such an American.

by Anonymousreply 4312/13/2010

I'll take speedos any day over these ridiculous ankle length board shorts guys wear now.

Might was well just wear a burqua.

by Anonymousreply 4412/13/2010

Whenever I'm out and I encounter some on-line whore like R43, I walk away immediately. They come across as needy and desperate all the time.

by Anonymousreply 4512/13/2010

Since I summer in the PInes and am often nude on the beach, why would I feel self-conscious in a speedo?

by Anonymousreply 4612/13/2010

I'd run from a jackass like R43. I would want to be in the same room with anyone like that.

by Anonymousreply 4712/13/2010

Please excuse R43. His therapist is out of town early for the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 4812/13/2010

What is there to feel self-conscious about?

by Anonymousreply 4912/13/2010

by Anonymousreply 5012/21/2010

I'm sorry R30, I always wear a speedo when cleaning my pistol. I don't want to get lint in the barrel.

by Anonymousreply 5112/21/2010

by Anonymousreply 5212/21/2010

I'm 53 and Speedos still look good on me. So there.

by Anonymousreply 5312/21/2010

I like this square-cut style. Speedo makes these, too.

by Anonymousreply 5412/22/2010

Brazilian style

by Anonymousreply 5512/22/2010

"Yes, I'm American. I haven't yet sought therapy for this, though I know I should."

R41 - I initially read this paragraph as standalone, and it made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 5612/22/2010

I've always thought the boxer style and Brazilian style speedos were far sexier than those sissyfied bikini style speedos.

I do really think that someone who will wear a tight speedo has to have a little exhibitionist in him. Either that or no sense of modesty whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 5712/22/2010

So, with your logic, R57, Michael Phelps is an exhibitionist, and so are Greg Louganis and Mark Spitz.

by Anonymousreply 5812/22/2010

I despise Speedos, but I'm all for accentuating as much crotch as possible.

by Anonymousreply 5912/22/2010

Back in the 70s most men wore speedos or cut off jeans. It was never associated with being girly.%0D %0D In places like Italy they wore even briefer ones displaying a sort of butt cleavage. I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 6012/22/2010

Americans are simply too fat for speedos. You need a lean body...

by Anonymousreply 6112/22/2010

r57 if you have a body like the guy at r55, you can wear any cut of speedo you want and still look hot. The people who say they look "sissified" are just not hot enough to pull off a man's bikini or any other swimsuits for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 6212/22/2010

Oh fuck off R62, you pompous know-it-all twat. No one cares what your opinion is. If we need anything further out of you we'll slap it out. Thanks and have a nice day.

by Anonymousreply 6312/22/2010

Used tampons are the breakfast of champions and I love them, especially with a sprinkling of sugar and some sliced banana. Mmm, mmm good.

by Anonymousreply 6412/22/2010

I hate when people insult manatees.

by Anonymousreply 6512/22/2010

Typical Americans.

You go anywhere else and there is no issue about this shit. I lived in Japan where guys went to the bathhouses on a frequent basis--no sex, btw. You go, get naked, hang out. American guys would be laughed out of there in a heartbeat.

It's the young guys, actually--so sissified. They give gay a bad name.

by Anonymousreply 6612/22/2010

R63 needs to spend some time in the Unmedicated Timeout Chair.

by Anonymousreply 6712/22/2010

bumpo for speedos

by Anonymousreply 6801/21/2011

R24, you must be a lesbian. If you are not, get help.

by Anonymousreply 6901/21/2011

This is my thing with speedos other outfits, I only wear them where appropriate. Fire Island? Yes. Brazil? Yes. Jersey shore? No.%0D %0D In my opinion, speedos do not look good on most guys. If you dont have a very low bodyfat and a great muscle tone - you dont look good in them. They dont flatter anything but what already looks great. Different lengths of board shorts can work with different proportions way better. %0D %0D I see SO MANY queens on Fire Island wearing speedos that are "skinny fat" lookin guys. Meaning they are kinda like skinny beanpoles but kinda mushy...and they think they look "fabulous." Just doesnt work.

by Anonymousreply 7001/21/2011

R70, that reply is useless without your photo.

by Anonymousreply 7101/21/2011

Speedos, briefs, the towel dance, guys who do not shower after gym...It is all part of the homophobia that has set into the culture. Just recently, I was with friends of mine and we were talking about the vogue for boxers with young guys. We NEVER saw guys in boxers when we were in high school and college. This friend of mine pointed out that the boxer vogue came along in the 90's, the same time you get gangsta rap and grunge. Nice. Look like white trash or a thug. Of course, the irony is that the same gay men who buy into the fashion also end up endorsing the homophobia behind it.%0D %0D Btw...guys don't wear speedos because they are "gay" and will not wear short shorts for basketball...but will post nude pics online. %0D %0D What. The. Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 7201/21/2011

Do we like Cedric in a speedo?

by Anonymousreply 7301/21/2011

by Anonymousreply 7401/23/2011

Whenever I am in Puerto Vallarta I get my speedos custom made.

by Anonymousreply 7501/23/2011

Time to start Speedo shopping to be ready for the summer season.

by Anonymousreply 7602/25/2011

When I'm swimming for exercise or training, I wear speedos. When I'm surfing I wear board shorts. What's the big deal?

by Anonymousreply 7702/25/2011

A few years ago, I got a pair of speedos that are like really tiny boxer briefs (not as long in the leg though). They definitely didn't leave much to the imagination, but I don't have anything to be ashamed about...

by Anonymousreply 7802/25/2011

speedos should be illegal

by Anonymousreply 7905/02/2011

Dudes in speedos are embarrassing. Not cool.

by Anonymousreply 8012/14/2011

You Americans sure have body issues. In Europe everone wears them. Young, old, no matter what. Guess, we are not as uptight as you. Where does this come from? The American puritanism? I'm not teasing, I really want to know.

by Anonymousreply 8112/14/2011

Speedos are acceptable for competitive swimmers & divers. A big no-no for everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 8212/14/2011

"Where does this come from? The American puritanism?"

The, uh, Puritans.

by Anonymousreply 8312/14/2011

Europeans are not cool, so why would we emulate them?

by Anonymousreply 8412/20/2011

I love speedos on men and I wish they were more accepted in the US. I don't care if old and fat men wear them too - I can always look away. Hot guys hiding their bodies behind over-sized culottes is a bigger fashion crime than fatties wearing speedos.

by Anonymousreply 8512/20/2011

Actually the guy at R30 IS hot. If only he'd shave his head and lose weight.

by Anonymousreply 8612/20/2011

Americans are not cool; why would we want them to emulate us.

by Anonymousreply 8712/20/2011

The thing about boards shorts is they give guys those weird, gradated tans that level off around the knees.

Speedo tan lines are perfectly defined. They make a nice ass look fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 8812/20/2011

Dudes in Speedos can look cool. Very cool, if you've a trim body. Just be sure the side panel is 4-5 inches deep (you're not in a damn thong) and go up one size larger than the size you think you want to be. Even fat guys look better.

by Anonymousreply 8912/20/2011

even if a guy has a hot bod, he still looks better in a more masculine square cut swimsuit, instead of a girly bikini-like speedo.

by Anonymousreply 9012/20/2011

I've been wearing speedos or something like them since I was 21- I am in my late 50s. I did not feel self conscious then and I do not feel self conscious now. I am 6'3" 180 lbs, 42" chest, 32" waist and have been so all my adult life. Perhaps if I had not stayed in shape I would put something else on-

Women with fit bodies wear bikinis as long as they are fit, so why not me?

Where did this neoprudery come from? Did not exist in 1975.

by Anonymousreply 9112/20/2011

Yea r91! You got it goin' on!

by Anonymousreply 9212/20/2011

I have a severe speedo fetish. I'd rather see a hot guy in a speedo than naked any day. There's something SO EXCITING about being able to see the goods w/o actually seeing's like a present from GOD waiting to be unwrapped. Boing!

by Anonymousreply 9312/21/2011

[quote]Where did this neoprudery come from? Did not exist in 1975.

We saw photographs from 1975 and became neoprudes on the spot.

by Anonymousreply 9412/21/2011

[quote]I've always thought the boxer style and Brazilian style speedos were far sexier than those sissyfied bikini style speedos.

I pity you your poverty of cultural references. Men were wearing speedos and short shorts (in my lifetime) when women would not even think of wearing a two-piece bathing suit, and the bottom part of their suits were much lower than mens trunks.

"Sissified"? You have some serious issues.

by Anonymousreply 9512/21/2011

I agree. Speedos are sissified or at least non-manly. Even collegiate swimmers hate them and poke fun at them, often protesting if they have to wear them. I know a lot of swimmers are happy about the longer body suits because they think speedos is one of the reasons for the decline in popularity of swimming. When college swimmers had to wear speedos, they bore a lot of teasing about the swimwear.

by Anonymousreply 9612/21/2011

r8, you are aware that a woman's tits are in the smack dab middle of her chest right? It's not like she can hide them unless she wears a burka that is.

by Anonymousreply 9712/21/2011

[quote]a woman's tits are in the smack dab middle of her chest right?

They look to me like one is a little to the left and the other a little to the right - not right in the middle. But we probably don't live near each other and women may be different where you are.

by Anonymousreply 9812/21/2011

Australia's Leader of the Opposition in Speedos. He's 54 and a half-mad Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 9912/21/2011

It all comes down to the terrible prudishness of Americans and their childish responses to the human body. In the Seventies the Counter Culture managed to roll it back, but it's rolled right back in, worse than ever.

by Anonymousreply 10012/21/2011

Honestly, I don't think it has to do with body shame or prudishness but what is perceived as looking more masculine and cool. I grew up in the '90s and we thought that speedos looked too feminine; swimming trunks and board shorts were cool. Same with underwear: boxer shorts were cool, while briefs (or "tighty whities")were dorky.

I think, and I don't mean any disrespect when I use the term, that the so-called "eldergays" are simply harking back to their glory days. At that time (the '70s and '80s) it was cool for men to wear skin-tight jeans and short shorts and speedos. But tastes and styles change.

Personally, I think a guy looks hotter/sexier in board shorts. Who knows? In a decade or so, the pendulum may swing back and knee-length shorts and trunks will seem passé.

It's been the same with women's hemlines.

by Anonymousreply 10112/22/2011

r81 is lying about being in Europe. Unless he's up after 3 am of course. Such utter bs.

Darlings who say that European men wear speedos are off their fucking rocker. They don't. Not anymore. They are wearing board shorts now. Hell there was just a pic of the monarch of Monaco in almost knee length board shorts with his "people" in the ocean. A few years ago, yes he would have been in fugly speedos. Now, no. Board shorts are in, speedos are for really old fat fugly queens who don't have clues. Like the ones who visit Fire Island for instance. Otherwise, no.

Oh and Asians and South Americans wear them. I'm only talking about the USA & Europe/UK here.

by Anonymousreply 10212/22/2011

If body shame were the reason for predominant anti-speedo sentiment, why do young men love to show off their upper bodies in sleeveless shirts, Under Armour, tank tops? Speedos are cut more like women's bikinis and panties, which is why men don't like them. As pointed out, this is why briefs are also disfavored, and boxer briefs are preferred as masculine. It's all about what is considered mainstream masculine.

by Anonymousreply 10312/22/2011

[quote]speedos are for really old fat fugly queens who don't have clues.

Types the provincial basement dweller.

Behold: Bondi Beach, Sydney...

by Anonymousreply 10412/22/2011

r104 your search said "BONDI SPEEDOS", try the "BONDI BEACH" search - no one is wearing speedos in those pix.

by Anonymousreply 10512/22/2011

Class of 2005: can I help it if you have hangups about human bodies? If you went to the Pines in 1975- the men were hardly fat. In fact they were thinner and fitter than the average guy of the trendiest gay beach in 2011 when you take out the 'roided, puff-pumped, shaved, trimmed, plucked, dip tanned and tatted guys who spend every other $ they make getting as close to waxed fruit as they can (with the top of their swim suit exactly 1.5 mm above their pubis and exactly 3 mm of as crack showing.

When I am in Europe, whether I am in spas in the Alps after skiing or on the beaches, I do not cringe at normal naked and near naked bodies. Why would I? I do cringe at the morbidly obese- but not on beaches or in spas, but anywhere because it is such an unhealthy state of being. And of course it is much more prevalent in the US that in Europe.

Swimmers originally wore speedos or bikini suits because they make sense. That is why I wear them. About 10 time more comfortable at the beach than clothes.

So class of 2005 and others- purse your lips and squirm at those in "speedos" as you position your newest tat just so, and grind away in your baggies- suit yourselves.

I AM 58 and perhaps since I do wear small suits at the beach, I still have a body better than 99.9% of you expressing your disgust at (GASP) a naked gut or a FAT thigh, or GOD forbid, a woman boob on the beach. HORRORS!

Some of us, even if not fit, are comfortable in our own skin pretty much as it is (doesn't have to be dyed, tatted and plucked.) Europeans are by in large much less hung up about their bodies than Americans.

by Anonymousreply 10612/22/2011

[quote] no one is wearing speedos in those pix.

Sweetie, have you ever been to Bondi? It's a tourist mecca. So the Sydneysiders are swamped by poms and others.

by Anonymousreply 10712/22/2011

During a trip to Louisville, gay adult film star Jessie Colter visited the recently re-opened Kentucky Kingdom. Jessie, like myself, tends to opt for the shorter side of men's swimwear. Upon arrival at the park, Colter was allegedly informed that his briefs were acceptable for wear at the park.

However during his stay at the park, Jessie was allegedly approached by a LMPD officer asking that he leave the park or face arrest. According to this article, a "LMPD officer allegedly approached Jessie, called him ‘queer’ and threatened him with arrest, for wearing Speedo swimwear. 'He informed me that several Public Safety Officers from the park had warned [me], which is 100% false,' Colter added."

Colter did decide to leave the park, and no official complaints against the park have been filed. Kentucky Kingdom has been contacted for a statement, but at time of publication I have not received a reply. This story will be updated once I do receive word from their team.

Kentucky Kingdom does outline a dress code on their site, which in summation gives them the right to refuse anyone for a suit the do not deem to be fit their standards.

"Guests must wear shirts and shoes at all times while at Kentucky Kingdom, except when inside the Hurricane Bay water park. Proper swimming attire is required at Hurricane Bay. For their own safety, guests may not swim in cut-offs or other clothing with rivets, zippers, or buckles. Kentucky Kingdom is a family-friendly theme park and reserves the right to determine whether a guest’s attire is appropriate."

While there has been no response from Kentucky Kingdom a local twitter user does seem to corroborate Jessie's story.

by Anonymousreply 10807/11/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!