Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What''s Minnesota Like?

My company is opening up an office in Minneapolis and relocation could be possible for me.

by Anonymousreply 16105/17/2013

... aaaaand cue lame Rhoda Morgenstern reference about keeping better in the cold.

by Anonymousreply 212/01/2010

cold and pretty

by Anonymousreply 312/01/2010

I'd recommend experiencing the purifying waters of Lake Minnetonka.

by Anonymousreply 412/01/2010

In fairness, it's also a very pretty area. MPLS - St. Paul is at the confluence of the Minnesota and Mississippi rivers, with the St. Croix very nearby, so the terrain is varied and lovely. The lakes are as advertised. Lots of outdoorsy stuff, even, or maybe especially, in the winter.

No big mountains for skiing. Nice people, once to get to know them, but the Minnesota Nice people hit you with at first is kind of fake.

Lake Woebegone is actually a documentary in some towns, and Fargo is pretty dead on, too (but don't try to convince us we sound like that).

by Anonymousreply 512/01/2010

I lived there for 8 years, and moved to Denver 5 years ago. It is unimagineably cold in the winter. The people are very Midwestern. The 'Minnesota nice' thing is real...the fraus are nice to your face and talk shit about you behind your back. Surprisingly enough, there is great nightlife, nice dining options, and lots of hot gay men. I have lived in six states, and I like the men in MN the best.

by Anonymousreply 612/01/2010

Impossibly cold in the winter - but, everyone is prepared for it, so...

I had a great time there - everyone talks about their house on the lake. I'm like - which lake? Forgetting that they have 11,000 or so.

Swedes / Norwegians and Germans mainly.

It's not the worst place on earth - pretty clean.

by Anonymousreply 712/01/2010

Are the people good looking?

by Anonymousreply 812/01/2010

Great place -beautiful, smart, quick, fair citizens. I'd jump at the chance to move there.

by Anonymousreply 912/01/2010

If I didn't live in Southern CA, I'd live in Minni/St Paul. Besides being very pretty, it is a progressive area with some of the most beautiful people on the planet, provided you like blonds and blue eyes all possessing more than their share of brains.

Absolutely wonderful would be an understatement in describing the place.

Cold in the winter (but I happen to love the cold) and damn nice in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 1012/01/2010

R10/lbbc, Datalounge doesn't seem to like that type. Datalounge seems to have a fug fetish.

by Anonymousreply 1112/01/2010

I'd rather be dead than live in such a cold place.

by Anonymousreply 1212/01/2010

by Anonymousreply 1412/01/2010

There are only two seasons, construction and winter. Not only do you have to endure winter you can get tornados there. Did you get the part about it being cold? Hell it's cold. The snow is so dry that it doesn't stick when it is cold. So when a wind comes up the snow blows around forever. You have to keep cleaning the snow off your property. It re-arranges itself daily. I lived there for about ten years one winter, can you tell?%0D %0D Our neighbor had his car hooked up to electricity so his engine would start. Now that is cold.%0D %0D Oh and there is not a single mosquito in MN. They are all married and have large families. Do not under any condition get a home near a lake. You will be eaten alive. When you leave the city limits large bugs will carry you off. You think I'm joshing but hell to the no.

by Anonymousreply 1512/01/2010

R1, on the other hand, Minnesota has two of the most progressive, left-wing, and intelligent, U.S. Senators in the U.S. Senate....%0D %0D Democrats U.S. Senator Al Franken and U.S. Senator Amy Klobuchar%0D %0D And Minnesota just elected a very progresive, left-wing Democrat as Governor three weeks ago - Governor Mark Dayton

by Anonymousreply 1612/01/2010

Some of the cunts here got spunk.

by Anonymousreply 1712/01/2010

I hate spunk.

And if you're a football fan, the Vikings suck, and may even abandon the state.

by Anonymousreply 1812/01/2010

Minneapolis - St. Paul is a great place.%0D %0D Lots of great neighborhoods and also neighborhood spirit - each neighborhood in Minneapolis has a very active neighborhood association for improvements and decisions and lobbying for improvements/desired features.%0D %0D Minnesota also believes in taking care of its citizens and has a very strong system of social services, especially for the elderly.%0D %0D Minneapolis/St. Paul has a high quality of life, and is always near the top of lists of cities with high quality of life.%0D %0D Minneapolis is always rated in the top FIVE of cities with citizens who buy books, read books, and are literate.%0D %0D Minneasota is rated at near the top of lists of U.S. states with the highest number of citizens with high school degrees and university degrees.

by Anonymousreply 1912/01/2010

[quote] Minnesota has two of the most progressive, left-wing, and intelligent, U.S. Senators in the U.S. Senate

And they also have batshit crazy Michele Bachmann

by Anonymousreply 2012/01/2010

All of the positives people have listed about Mpls-St. Paul I would second.

Beautiful area, smart citizenry, great cultural offerings, nice neighborhoods.

The passive-aggressiveness, Minnesota-niceness of a lot (not all contrary to some reports) of people can be taxing. It can at times be surprisingly provincial for a metro area that large. Diversity is always getting better but still isn't what I'd want for a big city.

by Anonymousreply 2112/01/2010

Cold weather

Cold & fake people.

by Anonymousreply 2212/01/2010

Minnesota and especially Minneapolis/St.Paul have more Hmong immigrants and Somalian immigrants than any other state and city in the U.S....%0D %0D into the 1000's and 1000's%0D %0D And it has a large influx of hispanics and a good number of black people.%0D %0D There are Hmong gangs, black gangs, hispanic gangs, and somalian gangs - the area is lucky that these gangs do not do more damage than they already do.

by Anonymousreply 2312/02/2010

All true, R23. But, it's still not THAT demographically diverse. Certainly better than a lot of smaller cities or small town America, but still lags behind many other large cities.

by Anonymousreply 2412/02/2010

R23, are you counting that as a plus for diversity or a minus for dangerousness?

by Anonymousreply 2512/02/2010

It's like Iceland, but there aren't creatures who live in the rocks because all of the rocks have been stolen by Canada to make stone jewelry with.

by Anonymousreply 2612/02/2010

How did they all up there? One would think it would be the last place they'd like.

by Anonymousreply 2712/02/2010

Tom Hockett country... Diseased dog

by Anonymousreply 2812/02/2010

How is the food scene in Minneapolis/St. Paul?

by Anonymousreply 2912/02/2010

It's a wonderful place to throw your hat!

by Anonymousreply 3012/02/2010

Like Central fucking Park with snow.

by Anonymousreply 3112/02/2010

Its very cold and full of stupid people - most of whom are republicans.

by Anonymousreply 3212/02/2010

[quote]Its very cold and full of stupid people - most of whom are republicans.

Go look up Paul Wellstone, Al Franken & Amy Klobuchar and get back to us, hon.

by Anonymousreply 3312/02/2010

What R19 said.

by Anonymousreply 3412/02/2010

I keep forgetting: is it a state, or a protectorate?

by Anonymousreply 3512/02/2010

They all talk like Lawrence Welk. Can't stand that Minnesota accent. It's as bad (or worse) than the N. Dakota and WisGONsun accents.

by Anonymousreply 3612/02/2010

It's a type of juice from an ancient fruit.

by Anonymousreply 3712/02/2010

I've lived here for 15 years...the weather is cold as fuck and snowy/ice coated in the winter and hot, humid, muggy and thick with bugs/mosquitoes in the summer. "spring" is a fucking muddy joke. (Autumn is lovely, however)%0D %0D Minnesota has a few tribal native Indians (Ojibwa/Lakota) as well as Hmong/Somali in the twin cities. Otherwise it's white WHITE boring Scandinavians. Swedish, Norwegian, Finns, and some Germans. They are a tight cliquey bunch of fucks. Only into doing things with family (*which you will never be a part of) -the farther north you go? The worse it gets. Lots of alcoholism, poverty, meth addiction and backwoods hicks. They are the types with "GIT 'R DONE!" bumper stickers and filthy pickups. They drink Diet Mountain Dew and MGD light instead of water, and the women they marry are hockey moms desperately trying to squeeze into the same sprayed-on Guess jeans that were popular in 8th grade (which is as far as they went in school) -and most work mill jobs.%0D %0D Minneapolis or St. Paul (or one of the suburbs of the twin cities -Eden Prairie, Edina, Eagan, Bloomington, St. Louis Park, Woodbury, and Maplewood etc) is THE ONLY place worth living. Duluth is nice (for a weekend) and Winona is too (but only for a weekend). %0D %0D The State parks are nice. Quite a few bike trails, and places to enjoy the woods. Lots of trees. (Just watch out for deer ticks) and the lakes are pretty too.%0D %0D The gay scene is pretty fucking sad. %0D

by Anonymousreply 3812/02/2010

Lawrence Welk was from North Dakota, R36.

by Anonymousreply 4012/02/2010

[quote]The gay scene is pretty fucking sad.

What's that like?

by Anonymousreply 4112/02/2010

"How is the food scene in Minneapolis/St. Paul?"

Surprisingly good. There are a number of exciting young chefs including Isaac Becker at 112 and Bar La Grassa, Alex Roberts at Alma and Brasa, Tim McKee at La Belle Vie, Landon Schonefeld at HauteDish, Doug Flicker at Piccolo and others. There's a very hot new gastropub in the inner-ring suburb of Robbinsdale that's doing molecular gastronomy at bar-menu prices and is drawing massive crowds. There's a ton of awesome and cheap ethnic restaurants, particularly Vietnamese on University Ave. in St. Paul and on Nicollet Ave. in Minneapolis, and Mexican on Lake Street in Minneapolis. You can also get good Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Indian, French and German. African restaurants are starting to pop up too as the Somalis work more into the fabric of the community.

I've lived here most of my life. I think r38 is a little too hard on it though he makes some good points too. The winters truly can be unbearable, and I tell my partner it's why I won't be able to live here when I'm old. But criticizing spring for being "muddy"? Spring is glorious here, and the summers are wonderful with the lakes and the outdoor recreation. I agree with r38 that you wouldn't really want to live anywhere but Minneapolis, St. Paul or one of the older suburbs - but there's lots of other places great to visit and the people are nice everywhere. And there's endless cultural and recreational opportunities in Minneapolis and St. Paul - anyone who says there's "nothing to do" is just lazy.

Republicans do get elected here, but we can also boast the longest unbroken string of voting for the Democrat for president of all 50 states. And we're responsible for the political careers of Hubert Humphrey, Gene McCarthy, Walter Mondale, Paul Wellstone and Al Franken. Come next year we will have two Democratic senators and a Democratic governor, which is more than most states will be able to say. And Minneapolis in particular is deeply liberal - most precincts vote for Democrats at rates of 70 to 80 percent, and a Republican hasn't held an elected office in the city for decades. I personally predict that the city's next mayor will be openly gay councilman Gary Schiff, whenever Mayor Rybak decides to retire.

The people can be chilly to outsiders, and I have known some middle-aged gay men who have found it hard to meet guys. But the gay men are here and they're not invisible - and honestly, where is it NOT tough for middle-aged people to date?

OP, I'd say the only major factor for you to consider is if you can hack the winters. Beyond that, you can have a life here as good as anywhere in the U.S. Where would you be moving from?

by Anonymousreply 4212/02/2010

One of the dullest places on earth. Seriously dull. I would rather be burned as a witch than ever live there again.

by Anonymousreply 4312/02/2010

What R36 says about the 'accents' is completely untrue.%0D %0D There are NO ACCENTS in Minneapolis/St.Paul.%0D %0D And there are only a very few in the rest of the entire state.%0D %0D And there are NO ACCENTS in Wisconsin either.%0D %0D A couple of Datalounge posters love to make the false claim about accents.%0D %0D If you live in Minneapolis/St Paul, you will never hear an accent whatsoever.%0D %0D You might hear an occasional accent in the very most rural parts of the state.%0D %0D R36 says:%0D %0D They all talk like Lawrence Welk. Can't stand that Minnesota accent. It's as bad (or worse) than the N. Dakota and WisGONsun accents.%0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4412/02/2010

I moved there because I figured I'd keep better.

by Anonymousreply 4512/02/2010

Are they cut or uncut?

by Anonymousreply 4612/02/2010

[quote]If you live in Minneapolis/St Paul, you will never hear an accent whatsoever.

I grew up in the Twin Cities for 18 years. I go back every year to visit my folks. As soon as I de-plane and enter the terminal, it's like I've walked into the movie FARGO.

Not everyone in the Cities has the accent, but it is impossible to go out in public without hearing it constantly.

I think r44 must be so de-sensitized to the accent that he can't distinguish it.

by Anonymousreply 4712/02/2010

r44 must be from MN and unable to pick up on the accents around him. I went to college in WI and knew tons of people from MN, many from Minneapolis-St Paul. The accents are fucking hilarious. People out there really do sound like Fargo.%0D %0D They're also very nice and earnest and almost all blond. Not my type, but lots of people like the look.%0D %0D It depends on where you're moving from. For me it was NYC, so that informed my opinion of Minneapolis-St Paul. It's a nice version of many bland American mall-cities, but with a commitment to being interesting that many cities lack. (It largely fails but at least it tries.) If you're going there from somewhere similarly mall-esque and you can stand the cold, you might really like it.

by Anonymousreply 4812/02/2010

R47, you seem to have a mental problem.%0D %0D I've lived in eight different states, including New York City and Washington DC.%0D %0D I can recognize accents.%0D %0D There are NO ACCENTS in Minneapolis/StPaul.%0D %0D You may hear an accent in the very most rural parts of the state - usually among older farmers. (perhaps these rural farmer people occasionally pick up people at the airport)%0D %0D And there are no accents in Wisconsin, certainly not in the cities.%0D %0D You seem brain dead, R47, with your incredibly strong exagerations and your fictions.

by Anonymousreply 4912/02/2010

It's known as Minnisober, because of all the treatment centers there like Hazeldon. There is some pressure there to join recovery, even if one does not have an addiction, because the 12 step culture is so pervasive in the state.

by Anonymousreply 5012/02/2010

People do NOT sound like Fargo in Minneapolis-St Paul.%0D %0D R47, R48 are moronic.%0D %0D I've lived all over the U.S. and I certainly can recognize accents.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5112/02/2010

Well they sure do talk funny there. I hear the accent when I visit family and it makes me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 5212/02/2010

No way are the people in Minneapolis/St Paul predominantly blond or 'all blond'.%0D %0D Can't believe the weird stereotypes that R47, R48 are stuck in.

by Anonymousreply 5312/02/2010

r44/49 - you're simply wrong. r42 here, as mentioned I've lived here most of my life - and YES, there ARE accents. People in my own family have them for goodness sake! You should hear my sister say the word "awesome" sometime (AHHH-sum!). We're not talking about, like, a Swedish accent or a German accent - but there are DEFINITE regional variations that demonstrate themselves strongly, both among rural residents but also plenty of urban-dwellers. You really don't know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 5412/02/2010

No, you clearly cannot, r51. But keep thinking that if it makes you happy for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 5512/02/2010

I guess they're not "almost all blond," I overstated it. To me, coming from NYC (where blond hair is rare) and moving to WI, it seemed like everyone was blond. Definitely many, many more blonds than I was used to and since I don't like blond guys, I was very aware of it.%0D %0D But that was at UW Madison, which is not Minneapolis-St Paul. Thinking back on my friends from the twin cities, I would say they were about one-third blond. There, I hope I've cleared up this very important matter to your satisfaction, r53.

by Anonymousreply 5612/02/2010

R47, the movie Fargo is about very rural people.%0D %0D The whole movie is about RURAL culture. %0D %0D And it also uses exaggeration for comedy purposes.%0D %0D How can you be entering 'Fargo' at the Minneapols-StPaul airport, when the airport is located in the very urban metro area of about $1.5 million urban residents of Minneapolis-StPaul?

by Anonymousreply 5712/02/2010

YES. THERE IS SUCH a THING as A 'MINN-NEE-SODA' accent. OH YES THERE IS -even in 'the cities.%0D %0D Now, some of the worst are probably from Brainerd, Bemidji, Cloquet, Esko, Hermantown, the Iron Range (or "DuH Rrrange) etc...but YES. Minnesotans really do speak in phrases like "You bet!" "oh SURE, you BETCH'a!" "You're DARN 'tootin!" and "Awe, that's Arrrrate." (For "Oh, that's all right")%0D %0D There's also unwillingness to curse/swear/use profanity. (Not everywhere, but it's there)%0D %0D Also, pronunciations like "PELL-low" for "Pillow" "Waaaaarm" for "Warm" and "Melk" for "Milk" shall I keep going? Okay, there's "Draaaaaaaher" for "Drawer" and people say "POP" for soft drinks, and "SUPPer" for Dinner and "Oh that's just Soooooooper!" to describe something that's ideal.%0D %0D Minnesota home chefs put a lot of mayo, miracle whip, and marshmallows where they don't belong. They put ketchup on their Ketchup and "HOTDISH" varies from clan to clan. (Cream of who-gives-afuck can be found in all)%0D

by Anonymousreply 5812/02/2010

"the movie Fargo is about very rural people."

Well, no. Much of the movie is set in suburban Minneapolis, where William H. Macy's character works and lives with his family.

by Anonymousreply 5912/02/2010

It would be like an ant living in a loaf of wonder bread.

Sure the ant gets fed but he is surrounded by white and bland stuff.

by Anonymousreply 6012/02/2010

%0D from wikipedia for movie 'Fargo"%0D %0D "small-town, Minnesota accent is close to the sound of the Nords and the Swedes", which is "where the musicality comes from".%0D %0D Most rural Minnesotans speak with an accent similar to that found in the film, but the strong accent of Jerry and Marge is less common in the Twin Cities, where over 60% of the state's population lives. %0D %0D Speakers from Minneapolis and St. Paul are more characterized by the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, which is also found in other places in the northern United States such as Chicago, Detroit and Buffalo.%0D %0D NOTE - WHILE RURAL PEOPLE SPEAK IN A SWEDISH-NORWEGIAN ACCENT, MINNEAPOLIS-ST PAUL PEOPLE DO NOT! AND MPS-ST PAUL IS WERE 60 PERCENT OF THE PEOPLE LIVE.%0D %0D R47 comes from a family of rural or small town hicks.

by Anonymousreply 6112/02/2010

There definitely are people in Mpls-St. Paul who sound like "Fargo" though it's certainly not everyone (or even the majority), and for those who do have that particular accent, it usually isn't that exaggerated. Though, for some it actually is.

Why is this poster getting so insanely defensive? You have many people who have lived there who are saying first hand that the accent(s) exist.

Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 6212/02/2010

R62 says:%0D %0D You have many people who have lived there who are saying first hand that the accent(s) exist. %0D %0D R62, ONLY TWO PEOPLE have posted that!!%0D %0D And one admits to exaggerating.%0D %0D And the third one lived in Madison, WI not Mpls-StPaul.%0D %0D PEOPLE ON DATALOUNGE EXAGGERATE ALL THE TIME, AND THEY ALSO GET STUCK IN STEREOTYPES.%0D %0D I'm the 4th person, and I have lived all over the U.S. and have lived in eight states, including New York City and Washington DC.%0D %0D R62, apparently you fall hook, line, and sinker for whatever exaggeration and falsehoods are posted on Datalounge.%0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6312/02/2010

The swede-norwegian accent can be found among SOME RURAL DWELLERS in Minnesota.%0D %0D The swede-norwegian accent is very rare and practically non-existent in Minneapolis-StPaul.

by Anonymousreply 6412/02/2010

Allow me...I have lived there and the accent is obvious to me. Every time I visit I hear it.

by Anonymousreply 6512/02/2010

R65, yes, among rural or small town dwellers, not prevalent at all in Minneapolis-StPaul.

by Anonymousreply 6612/02/2010

r63 says "meer" for "mirror" and starts every sentence with, "So,..."

by Anonymousreply 6712/02/2010

It is like Miracle Whip. White, bland, overly sickly sweet and terrible.

by Anonymousreply 6812/02/2010

r66 would tell you to your face that he likes your pants, but rillee, he theenks they're kinda differnt.

by Anonymousreply 6912/02/2010

I%E2%80%99ve lived in Minnesota for over 30 years. The Fargo accent is not found often in people living in Minneapolis or St. Paul. If you hear it in the Minneapolis or St. Paul, it%E2%80%99s more likely from people working there that are commuting from the suburbs who have recent roots in rural areas. I think the person that claims they always hear it when they%E2%80%99re here is hanging out in the suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 7012/02/2010

I love those big blond boys with their viking sized dicks, blue eyes and creamy skin. They get to beautifully pink during sex, they look like models from another world. So many of them are truly tall, in excess of 6'3". Where I live now, the only males above 6'3" all play for Lakers and couldn't turn pink if their lives depended on it.

Minnesota boys (and Wisconsin) are the most prime on the North American land mass.

by Anonymousreply 7112/02/2010

I rarely see a blonde man in Minneapolis or St.Paul - the vast majority have brown hair.

by Anonymousreply 7212/02/2010

They are like Mormons in their pathetic community pride, although of course not so well organized or obedient. They are made for corporate life with their hypocrisy and ability, and their corporations do well decade in and decade out, without destroying the place. They are boorish and loud. They are most definitely not SMART but they are competent. You waitresses and cashiers and bartenders won't fuck up or throw you attitude. It's sort of like there is no genius there (those people really thought Garrison Keillor was special, and Prince), but there is no idiot infestation either (Michelle Bachmann excepted). They are liberal but it is more the traditional socialism of the midwest preserved by grandchildren who don't really get it, rather than anything radical or libertine. They can be surprisingly conservative (this is also true of Madison, Wis.). Though there are many attractive people and perhaps above average fitness, they are extremely careless with appearances, both personal and their houses, and by March the whole place is looking depressed and slummy. But then nature rescues them and by June all is forgiven with vivid colors and a tendency to go shirtless when the temperature hits 60. One thing you will not get used to is that they are LOUD. VERY VERY LOUD. I don't know why this is.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 7312/02/2010

A lot of them say "melk" for "milk" which drives me nuts.%0D

by Anonymousreply 7412/02/2010

R73, are you talking about college students which seems to be your experience since you reference Madison, Wisconsin?%0D %0D College students are sometime quite loud.%0D %0D After living 20 years in Minneapolis, being loud is not an adjective that would ever enter my mind in describing people who live in Minneapolis or St. Paul.

by Anonymousreply 7512/02/2010

That's because you live there and are used to it.

When I visit I am shocked that no one seems to have an indoor voice. Minnesotans are by and large LOUD with a bit of accent.

by Anonymousreply 7612/02/2010

Or perhaps, R73, you are talking about people in their early or mid-20's?

by Anonymousreply 7712/02/2010

Everyone who disagrees with r78 etc is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 7912/02/2010

R74, funny, since that is what we say here in Norway, melk.. Probably stems from the Norwegian immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 8012/02/2010

[quote]the farther north you go? The worse it gets. Lots of alcoholism, poverty, meth addiction and backwoods hicks. They are the types with "GIT 'R DONE!" bumper stickers and filthy pickups. They drink Diet Mountain Dew and MGD light instead of water, and the women they marry are hockey moms desperately trying to squeeze into the same sprayed-on Guess jeans that were popular in 8th grade (which is as far as they went in school) -and most work mill jobs.

This is true. Northern Minnesota has a strong appalachian feel to it. People live in mobile homes and modular houses, and businesses are in almost identical metal buildings lined up along the highway. Lots of junk scattered around and the biggest stacks of firewood you've ever seen in back of houses.

Actually, now that I think about it, just watch news footage of Wasilla, Alaska and you'll get a pretty good idea.

by Anonymousreply 8112/02/2010

That's true enough. Wasilla is about as bleak as Northern Minnesota. The difference is being ringed by gorgeous mountains, which is not happening in MN.

I grew up in Alaska and I think Minnesota and Wisconsin winters are colder. Too much damn wind.

by Anonymousreply 8212/02/2010

If you like ill fitting jeans, Columbia jackets, grown men wearing baseball caps and hunting camo jackets YEAR 'round? You'll fucking LOVE it here. %0D %0D If your interests include: professional wrestling, ultimate fighting, bowling, softball, indoor volleyball, hunting, poker, drinking beer, and fishing? You'll never want to leave. %0D %0D Oh yeah, start listening to Ozzy, Rob Zombie, Garth Brooks, Tim McGraw, Metallica, Static X, Korn, and 80's METAL. After a long work week, you'll want to hit the townie Bars and "Clubs" and unwind with some Budlight. Who knows? Maybe after a few suds you may have to charm someone with a little karaoke.

by Anonymousreply 8312/02/2010

Northern Minnesota is full of tons of pine trees and dense forests of beautiful pine trees, and 1000's of lakes.%0D %0D I never go there. %0D %0D But lots of people do go there because they have vacation cabins among the 1000's pine trees and 1000's of lakes.%0D %0D Almost any state in the U.S. has areas of the state where poverty and bleakness exists.%0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 8412/02/2010

Here's a good example of the Minnesota accident. Watch this YouTube clip featuring Cyndy Brucato, longtime anchorwoman at the Twin Cities ABC affiliate.

Listen in particular to how she says "Red Wing Framing Gallery in Red Wing" at about :45 in.

No, it's not as pronounced as in "Fargo" which was definitely exaggerated for comic effect (though he do still hear that in small towns and rural areas). But you don't have to look hard to hear it, even in Minneapolis and St. Paul - Brucato is a TV anchorwoman, for heaven's sake!

I've lived here for years, and frankly, I think the people who claim you don't hear it in Minneapolis or St. Paul are provincial twits.

by Anonymousreply 8512/02/2010

R83, you hang around with the wrong people.%0D %0D And you hang around where the wrong people congregate.

by Anonymousreply 8612/02/2010

They have a particularly unattractive domestic architecture, the circa 1920 clapboard or stucco four square with enclosed front porch in white or gray or palest blue, always with a creepy looking gable window in the attic. I swear when you cross the border into Iowa and are confronted with warm brick buildings and buildings painted red or green, you feel like you're in a different country.%0D

by Anonymousreply 8712/02/2010

Hey, I'm just being honest. That's what most Minnesota men are into...and I would know, since I've fucked more than my share. %0D

by Anonymousreply 8812/02/2010

The last time I was up North in Beimidji, there was a conversation going on in a cafe where people were comparing how many times they had hit deer with their cars and how many cars they had wrecked in the process.

One guy who apparently had an unfair advantage because he drove to work before dawn was claiming something like 6 deer in 4 years with 2 totalled vehicles, but he wasn't running away with it by any means.

The other random tidbit I overheard was the fact that when the spring thaw came the lake went from frozen solid enough to drive your pickup across to open water you could take your boat across in less than a week,

by Anonymousreply 8912/02/2010

...and fer' the love of the Savior's name, OP-DON't I repeat...DO NOT go to the mega mall during Halloween (or Christmas-fill in the holiday) it's a TERRORIST TARGET Dontcha' know?!?

by Anonymousreply 9012/02/2010

Oh yes, and I forgot: If you don't 1) HUNT 2)FISH, or 3) go CAMPING or up to "THE CABIN"...there's always snowmobiling', four wheeling', and "THE RACES" -that's dirt track stock car racing' up at CEDAR LAKE. If a Minnesotan says "Oh, jeez. That's DIFF'ernt!" It means they hate it. If they tell you "Gosh you're really somethin%E2%80%99 else" it means they hate you.

by Anonymousreply 9112/02/2010

That'd odd - the men I know in Minneapolis are into the symphony, theater (plays), art, books,%0D travel, life of the mind, and politics.

by Anonymousreply 9212/02/2010

I don't think I've ever seen a man wearing a camoflage jacket in Minneapolis - maybe once.%0D %0D But I don't go to blue collar bars nor bars in the suburbs nor predominantly blue collar neighborhoods.%0D %0D Nor do I go bowling, fishing, or hunting, or to any place where those participants congregate.%0D %0D Nor do I go to small towns and suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 9312/02/2010

For those that have asked, I would be leaving Los Angeles (if I go). I've lived on the Westside all of my life and generally like the city except for the traffic.

by Anonymousreply 9412/02/2010

a cringe-worthy Minnesota saying (brought to you by my sister, Marilyn, a small town minister's wife who lived "up north" by da Canadian border for 30 fuckin' years..... %0D %0D "O fer neat!" (means "ya don't say, now", in lower minnesota speak). %0D %0D ja, youbetcha. she said it. for real.

by Anonymousreply 9512/02/2010

hey r83, ya fergot snOWmobilin', pull-tabs and ice fishin'. otherwise, right on.

by Anonymousreply 9612/02/2010

One time when I was visiting Mpls, they had the first snowmobile fatality of the season. The date? September 1! A guy was cleaning his snowmobile in the driveway when it took off and sent him flying into a tree. Snowmobiles are VERY LOUD.%0D

by Anonymousreply 9712/02/2010

[quote][R47], the movie Fargo is about very rural people.

Not all of them.

Jerry Lundegaard, his wife, and his father-in-law all live in the wealthy suburbs of the Twin Cities.

by Anonymousreply 9812/02/2010

R97, many of us live in the CITY in an urban environment and have absolutely nothing to do with snowmobiles and have nothing to do with people who live and use snowmobiles out in the suburbs and rural areas.

by Anonymousreply 9912/02/2010

Princess at r99: you are deluded. I lived in Minnesota until I was are never far from the suburbs or outstate. Minneapolis is not an urban center, though it desperately wishes to be. You have a few good restaurants, theaters, and museums...and many more delusions of grandeur.

by Anonymousreply 10012/02/2010

by Anonymousreply 10212/02/2010

I edited and co-wrote an autobiography by a Minnesotan whose parents were Northwoods pioneers. His father was a lumberjack and his mother a Swedish immigrant. They homesteaded a tract of logged-out land two hours north of Minneapolis adjoining a Chippewa Indian reservation around 1914. He grew up speaking Chippewa and had a reverence for the varied wildlife of the area, along with a gentle tolerance for all the human misfits who chose to escape to their wilderness neighborhood.

Working on the project I gained a new respect for Northwoods denizens, and Minnesotans generally. Rural people in touch with nature are nowhere near as insular as city folks imagine.

by Anonymousreply 10312/02/2010

The distinction between greater Minnesota and Minneapolis is siginficant only to grasping snobs, r101. I lived in Minneapolis for 8 years, so please lay off the attitude - the Guthrie or Lucia's or the Walker make MSP an interesting place to visit, not to live. I've lived in true cities, and I know the difference.

by Anonymousreply 10412/02/2010

Lots of hunky blond men in the far north like Duluth. One of the hottest swedish baths I've ever been to...and it's straight!

by Anonymousreply 10512/02/2010

R104, I've lived in New York City and Washington DC, along with six other states.%0D %0D So no need to say 'I've lived in true cities, and I know the difference' which makes you the grasping snob and poseur.....%0D %0D as I can also discern differences.%0D %0D And anyone who doesn't think there is a world of difference between Minneapolis and 'outstate' is truly a person severely lacking in discernment and judgment and makes you even more of a buffoon.

by Anonymousreply 10612/03/2010

I'm R101 posting at R106.

by Anonymousreply 10712/03/2010

Minnesober, Land of a Thousand Rehabs. But seriously, where to begin? I've never seen so much heated arguing about one of the most meaningless places on the planet. Yes, there are terrible pockets of poverty in EVERY STATE - no state is without its share of rednecks and cousins marrying cousins - even some of the latter with lots of money! And the accent thing is also silly beyond belief. You are not English, no matter how much you want to be, and accents just don't matter in a country where money and money alone determines a person's social station. Only old people care about shabby gentility - money, money, money doesn't speak, it screams! Leave Minnesota alone - I grew up in one of the best parts of L.A. and I left the noxious air in 1978 -- thirty years of increasing smog, traffic and BAD ACCENTS (everyone from everywhere else in the US who thought they "had something special" came in a constant flood to what used to be a pretty nice place), and I suggest you do the same. If not for your sanity, for your lungs.

by Anonymousreply 10812/03/2010

Wasn't there a thread a few years ago about some really hot steam room/sauna place in Duluth? It had been there forever, and it was full of sailors off the Great Lakes and lumberjacks. The whole town knew about it, but it kind of got a free pass because it had been there forever.

Ring any bells?

by Anonymousreply 10912/03/2010

Most people in Minnesota don't have snowmobiles because they are expensive. Also, I believe second home ownership is lower in Minnesota than in Michigan, which is even more insular in a defensive insecure sort of way.%0D %0D But not everyone in Florida owns a speed boat either, and yet speed boats and snowmobiles are horrible nuisances that hurt the quality of life. %0D %0D One thing I noticed when I went to summer camp in Minnesota is that the mosquitos, indeed all the bugs, were much larger than at home in Illinois...but also much slower. You could slap them, leaving you with bloody arms but fewer bites (I should have said less bites just to piss off the fewer troll).%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 11012/03/2010

It's called "DULUTH FAMILY SAUNA" -I wouldn't say it's hot...full of the same trolls as anyplace else.

by Anonymousreply 11112/03/2010

Hey, you know what "EDINA" stands for? "EVERY. Day. I. NEED. ATTENTION."%0D %0D What do delusional Edina Queens make for dinner? Reservations at a restaurant. ((rimshot))%0D %0D Don%E2%80%99t get me started on the Sven and Olie/Lena jokes.%0D

by Anonymousreply 11212/03/2010

I know people who still have outhouses. These are not poor families either. They have other indoor plumbing...they just-I don't know, enjoy shitting in the freezing cold or something?%0D %0D Lots of people have "campers" parked around the back of the house too, (or even in the front) but for the LOVE of GOD-never call it that. It's an "RV" or a "motor home" the metro area, there are usually rules about storage for these.%0D %0D Minnesotans like novelty mail boxes. You know, like a big mouth bass mail box, a mail box shaped like a Canadian goose, a lighthouse, a country themed cottage-you know, shit like that. "FINGERHUT" (A store that has now closed down was popular with this type)%0D %0D I'm sad to say Terry Redlin and Thomas Kinkade style, Lladro, and vintage Hummel are the only %E2%80%9Cart%E2%80%9D displayed in most Minnesota homes, if there%E2%80%99s any. %0D %0D Even the Uptown Art Fair features Gicl%C3%A9e prints, and not much else. There is little premium on original art. There is little desire to support artists. Not even "local" artists and not even in a town full of cake eaters like Rochester or East Duluth. %0D %0D Pretty hilarious to walk into an extremely wealthy Mayo Clinic heart surgeon's home and eat off paper plates with nothing but "Limited edition" 'prints' on the wall. They also go wild over Longaberger Baskets. Lots of beige wall-to-wall carpeting -even in the kitchens and bathrooms sometimes. You'll need to remove your shoes at most Minnesota homes, for this very reason...that and the salty mud. Some houses have a "mud room" where you can disrobe before entering the house. %0D

by Anonymousreply 11312/03/2010

Minnesota is full of trailor trash

by Anonymousreply 11412/03/2010

[quote] Minnesotans like novelty mail boxes. You know, like a big mouth bass mail box, a mail box shaped like a Canadian goose, a lighthouse, a country themed cottage-you know, shit like that.%0D %0D Oh, jeez. That's DIFF'ernt!%0D %0D [quote] Minnesota is full of trailor trash%0D %0D Gosh you're really somethin' else, R114!

by Anonymousreply 11512/03/2010

R114, I only see novelty mail boxes when in an area with a lot of cabins because people need a reminder which little dirt road leads to their cabin.%0D %0D You hang out with hicks in hick country. Which there's nothing wrong with. I love camping. Accents don't normally bother me. Rural Minnesota accents aren't any worse to me than Boston or New Jersey or Amish accents.%0D %0D Most of the things you describe will not be found in Minneapolis. Outhouses? The Uptown Art Fair is a big party. It's not meant to be The Louvre. It's not my scene but if it makes some people happy, why the hell not let them have it. There are many, many other options to see and purchase art in Minneapolis and St. Paul.%0D %0D Minnesota like most states offers a variety of entertainment, communities, and people. You only need to choose one or two or six that appeal to you.

by Anonymousreply 11612/03/2010

The OP asked "WHAT's MINNESOTA LIKE?" and deserves an honest depiction of the majority of people who are born, raised, will probably die here (and who are we kidding, will never go farther than the Apple fest in Bayfield) in that lifetime.%0D %0D "What's Minnesota Like?" is not the same as "Oh please, tell me...what are the many numerous things that make the Twin Cities so very special and delightful? I'm EVER SO interested in hearing about your Guthrie Theater AND your Walker Art Museum, please don't forget about the MIA or the Faaaaaabulous eateries and fine dining!!?!"%0D %0D Some people are cool. Some people are assholes. Some places are cool. Some places suck ass...THAT's Minnesota for you. That's the Twin Cities. THAT'S LIFE...but why sugar coat it? %0D %0D The whole state is not the metro area. The fact that some of you consider Minneapolis or St. Paul some sort of metropolitan paradise is a laugh riot. (Or that you would never *deign* to explore the rest of the state or associate with the working class plebes. ((EYES rolling around like a Grand Casino Slot Machine)) %0D %0D PS: I live in south Minneapolis. Doesn't get more "URBAN" than that sweetheart. The people I work with and live around ARE Minnesotans. All of them...and yes SOME of them are backwoods hicks and come from that stock. Quite a few Minnesotans are from small towns. You can either deal with it, laugh about it, or run screaming from it...but don't BULLSHIT yourself it doesn't exist.%0D %0D Here's the thing. I love this place just as much as I hate it...and I really do hate it AND LOVE it.

by Anonymousreply 11712/03/2010

[quote]Minnesota is full of trailor trash%0D %0D Oh, the irony!!!

by Anonymousreply 11812/03/2010

To be fair, everone I know who owns a "TRAILOR" calls it a "MANUFACTURED HOME"! They get pissed if you call it a trailor. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 11912/03/2010

Seriously, the question was "what's it like?" not "how irate can queens get when you disagree with them?"

by Anonymousreply 12012/03/2010

LMAO at the carpet in the bathrooms. I lived in Minneapolis years ago, and was shocked when I saw this in several people's homes. I get that it is warm on the feet, but how do you keep it clean? Piss splashes.

by Anonymousreply 12112/03/2010

The carpeted kitchens and bathrooms (the ones with the light or beige color) *looked* clean and well kept...made me wonder if they ever cooked in those kitchens or pissed in jars? The Susie Q Frau types who had them were big fans of oak furniture too%E2%80%A6and brass hardware on everything...and the houses smelled like Progresso soup. (The kind that had 0 weight watchers points and only 60 calories a serving)

by Anonymousreply 12212/03/2010

MN is redneck city!

by Anonymousreply 12512/03/2010

The mailboxes are something you notice, but they're nothing compared to the chainsaw sculptures. Most of them are just your run of the mill bears waving their paws and eagles flying, but here and there you'll see some very interesting pieces that actually show talent.

I still wish I had bought one a few years ago that was two beavers or otters intertwined either wrestling or having sex. Very odd to see alongside the road.

There's also come interesting rustic furniture for sale up there.

by Anonymousreply 12612/03/2010

Minnesota is like Wonder Bread, Miracle Whip, Hostess Vanilla cupcakes, and twinkies.

Totally bland, not very interesting and far to fake sweet.

by Anonymousreply 12712/03/2010

Seriously...why is our country so stupid? Are there any liberal strongholds left in the world?

by Anonymousreply 12812/03/2010

%0D R128, Minnesota has two very progressive, left-wing U.S. Senators....%0D %0D Democrats U.S. Senator Al Franken and U.S. Amy Klobuchar.%0D %0D Three weeks ago, Minnesota elected a very progressive, left-wing Democrat as Governor....%0D %0D Governor Mark Dayton who was a progressive, left-wing U.S. Senator%0D %0D Before that we had the most left-wing U.S. Senator in the U.S. Senate.....%0D %0D U.S. Senator Paul Wellstone

by Anonymousreply 12912/03/2010

A "Blowhard"? Ah, they don't make clever insults like they used to. Great insults SEEM easy but they're not, are they? R123/R124 you are SO entertaining, bless your little heart.

by Anonymousreply 13012/03/2010

Minneapolis is great, but it's no Missoula!

by Anonymousreply 13112/03/2010

It's not as racist as Milwaukee but it's more racist than Montgomery.

by Anonymousreply 13212/03/2010

[quote] To be fair, everone I know who owns a "TRAILOR" calls it a "MANUFACTURED HOME"! They get pissed if you call it a trailor. Seriously.%0D %0D What's that old saying? Oh, yeah. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

by Anonymousreply 13312/03/2010

[quote] It's not as racist as Milwaukee but it's more racist than Montgomery.%0D %0D Is Milwaukee really racist? Why?

by Anonymousreply 13412/03/2010

You can't see a southern racism troll a mile off? Montgomery is not only racist, they made the buildings white to symbolize the power of the white race.%0D

by Anonymousreply 13512/03/2010

I'm not buying the outhouses. I think Mississippi and Alaska are the only places in the USA that go in for them.%0D

by Anonymousreply 13612/03/2010

Can someone explain what R2 is talking about?%0D %0D Anyway OP, my roomate in college kept inviting me to Minneapolis and I went and cut my trip short; missing that recent snowstorm. %0D %0D Nice but kind of lifeless.

by Anonymousreply 13712/03/2010

Those who say Minneapolis-StPaul is very white without diversity are living in the deep PAST and have not kept up to date.%0D %0D Minneapolis-StPaul is full of somalians, hmong, and asian-indians. Not to mention hispanics and blacks. But the influx of somalians, hmong, and asian-indians is dramatic.%0D %0D See below%0D %0D There are nearly 30 Hindu temples or groups in the Twin Cities area and about 40,000 practicing Hindus.%0D %0D Census figures from 2009 show the Asian-Indian population in Minnesota has doubled in the last decade to nearly 30,000. That figure doesn't account for those who may be here on a temporary basis for work or other reasons.%0D %0D There is a 43,000-square-foot Minnesota Hindu Temple in Maple Grove(suburb of St. Paul), considered the largest Hindu temple in North America%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 13812/03/2010

Colder than a witch's tit.

by Anonymousreply 13912/03/2010

Does Prince really live in a big purple house?

by Anonymousreply 14012/03/2010

There is a Minnesota accent, but it is very mild and no where near as pronounced as New Yawk, Boston/New England,or anywhere in the south. The Fargo accent which is somewhat similar to the Cnadian accent is only found in the far Northwest. I've travelled all over the state and that's the only place that I've heard it and it's actually very rare to find at all. %0D %0D The winters can be harsh some years, but we are all prepared for it. %0D %0D Minnesota nice does exist and it isn't fake at all. It doesn't show up in the Twin Cities much since there are so many foreigners (non native Minnesotans)here now, but it is certainly still there in the outstate areas.

by Anonymousreply 14112/03/2010

My dear friend, A Minnesota native now living on the WC says:

[quote] Minnesota girls carry a Coach bag in brown or black, containing a bottle of Prozac and something to wipe their nose with. Their second accessory is almost always a fat ass...

I'm gonna barf here Marge...

by Anonymousreply 14212/03/2010

Picture of a typical Minnesotan:

by Anonymousreply 14312/03/2010

My high school English teacher bought the Mary Tyler Moore house. He once tried to assert that sputter was an intransitive verb.

by Anonymousreply 14412/03/2010

What is the crime rate like in Minneapolis/St. Paul? Is it pretty low?

by Anonymousreply 14512/03/2010

by Anonymousreply 14612/03/2010

I still want to know if Prince lives in a big purple house.

by Anonymousreply 14712/04/2010

Not anymore, R147.

by Anonymousreply 14812/22/2010

Oh, dear god.

by Anonymousreply 14912/22/2010

Hey OP - just wondering, did you move or are you still moving to Minneapolis?

by Anonymousreply 15007/24/2011

you r fat

by Anonymousreply 15105/22/2012

People in the rest of the country don't do the mailbox thing because people will steal their mail and blow up their mailboxes.

Stop hurting on R114.

by Anonymousreply 15205/23/2012

They also have a cluster of some of the biggest people on the planet. I moved there after college...everyone seems to act like they are hording something. The weather and humid in the summer...really cold in the winter. The young gay people are really shallow...worst than Weho if you can believe that. The rich are so fucking cheap. You spend alot of time trying to ignore the obvious. They party with Shasta to save a buck. No flights after 10 pm because airplane make noise and the ugly and poor people of Bloomington needs their beauty sleep. If the mall is you thing...

by Anonymousreply 15305/23/2012

The "NO ACCENTS!" Troll is hilarious! Hit trolldar for any of his posts and watch the thread light up like an insane Christmas tree.

She is hysterically invested in the idea that people in Minnesota are cosmopolitan and sophisticated and multi-cultural. If anyone dares dispute that in ANY way (even people who are natives of the Twin Cities), she goes ballistic!

Plus I love the ridiculously bourgie comment that she's only ever been to Edina of all the suburbs--LOL! Honey, we all KNOW you head out to Fridley to do your bargain shopping!

by Anonymousreply 15405/23/2012

Going from LA to Mnpls...lets put it this this way. I could be making $100,000 in LA and you could offer a million dollars to move to Mnpls. No way.

by Anonymousreply 15505/23/2012

Think of a state decorated by have Minnesota.

by Anonymousreply 15605/23/2012

The straight men and the straight women seem to loathe each other.

by Anonymousreply 15705/24/2012

Milopsus Saint Paul is cold. It isn't anywhere near as cold as really cold places like Fargo and Regina or Edmonton. But it's not for sissies either.

So most 'mos wouldn't like it.

You can't mince around in Daisy Dukes and limp wrist it as it's too cold for shorts and your wrists freeze solid.

Most 'mos try to live there as they can keep their shirts on and no one can see how fat they are and their moobs.

by Anonymousreply 15805/25/2012

Isn't it the capitol of Flyover Gay World?

by Anonymousreply 15905/14/2013

It's hell on earth.

by Anonymousreply 16005/14/2013

Beautiful AND gay friendly.

by Anonymousreply 16105/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!