Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Potatoes now barred for WIC families

I was fine with no soda on food stamps, but potatoes?

This is idiotic... especially since we are talking fresh potatoes here.

[quote]Chris Voigt's diet is partly aimed at publicizing his objection to the fact that potatoes are excluded from the foods that can be purchased by those on the USDA WIC program. Potatoes are the only fresh vegetable, fruit, root, or tuber excluded. Why isn't obvious. It's fresh potatoes we're talking about allowing or not allowing WIC participants, not frozen French fries. And while you can do fattening things with spuds, you can do so with bread also. So why are only the spuds disbarred? When Voigt inquired, he was told that Americans already eat enough potatoes. This reason doesn't work for me. Bread is not excluded just because people already eat plenty of bread. Cereal is not excluded just because people already eat lots of cereal. I think there genuinely is an unfair and inappropriate bias against the potato. In fact, in the popular diet and nutrition press, potatoes often seem to get a bad rap.

by Anonymousreply 7211/20/2013

I agree

by Anonymousreply 112/01/2010

Let them eat corn!

by Anonymousreply 212/01/2010

I think it is probably true that most low-income women with children already have too much potato in their diets, but this will just give ammunition to the right about over-reaching government. They will, of course, not note the irony that they oppose "handouts" such as WIC. A cheap point is still a score in their view.

by Anonymousreply 312/01/2010

Why allow them to eat food at all? Hook them up to feeding tubes and give them cans of powdered formula to mix with tap water.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 512/01/2010

When I was a starving twink student I used to sautee a potato, a zucchini and an onion. With BBQ sauce. When they were on sale / in season. It filled me up for 2 meals and it cost me a dollar.

by Anonymousreply 612/01/2010

I eat potatoes, they are pretty good for you. However with BBQ sauce it sounds like vomit on a plate.

by Anonymousreply 712/01/2010

Right, R4, it's so easy to get a job in this economy, especially if you're already poor and/or unemployed, which is who the majority of WIC users are.%0D %0D Dumbass Republican.

by Anonymousreply 812/01/2010

I don't understand how they came up with this. Not being able to buy junk food is okay with me, so you ban potato chips or frozen french fries. But potatoes are fairly inexpensive and can be added to soups among other non-junkie recipes. Then again, I don't understand a lot of things the govt does so I'll just shake my head and go on.

by Anonymousreply 912/01/2010

I've recently lost forty pounds. And a good deal of it was due to cutting out potatoes. But when you're feeding a family on a bare minimum, you eat what fills you up.

by Anonymousreply 1012/01/2010

Though I agree that potatoes shouldn't be banned from WIC, it has to be noted that this man is executive director of the Washington Potato Commission and half way through his 60 day potato only goal he was regretting it.

by Anonymousreply 1112/01/2010

R10

You cut CALORIES. Read the linked article. Potatoes do not make you fat, total calories do.

by Anonymousreply 1212/01/2010

I think you are all confusing WIC with the SNAP (formerly Food Stamps) program.

WIC is a voucher program for WOMEN, INFANTS and CHILDREN that is given in addition to any SNAP benefits:

[quote] The WIC food packages provide supplemental foods designed to meet the special nutritional needs of low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, non-breastfeeding postpartum women, infants and children up to five years of age who are at nutritional risk.

by Anonymousreply 1312/01/2010

Good point r12. You can make almost any food fattening if you pile butter and sour cream on them, but you can't police people's kitchens to make sure they only cook the way you want them to even if they are getting food on WIC.

by Anonymousreply 1412/01/2010

WTF? Potatoes are a good source of potassium. And nature's Prozac.

by Anonymousreply 1512/01/2010

so are collards and bananas

by Anonymousreply 1612/01/2010

[quote] I was fine with no soda on food stamps,

Yeah, it's a slippery slope, isn't it you controlling, classist fuck? That's what happens when you actually begin dictating what kind of food people can purchase. Eventually, it will affect you too and it will all be the fault of psychos like you who want to regulate things in the name of what you think is healthy and "good for them".

by Anonymousreply 1712/01/2010

Read r13, people. WIC has traditionally been awarded so that mothers can buy formula, milk and baby food type items. This is in addition to food stamps. So they can use their food stamps to buy potatoes and purchase their milk with the WIC.

I used to be a grocery store cashier about 25 years ago. I can't believe it was actually that long ago but even then, WIC was for milk, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1812/01/2010

I'm diabetic and I have low potassium. My doctor told me to eat white potatoes with the skin, bananas and raisins and sweet potatoes with the skin.%0D %0D When I tried bananas and (not at the same time) raisins my sugar went too high%0D %0D When I ate white potatoes with yogurt on them or cut into fries and baked with a touch of olive oil and a little S&P and sweet potatoes plain or cut into sweet potato fries done the same way only with added fresh onion I had no rise in my blood sugar and no weight gain. Of course I'm talking one potato at a meal, but good size ones, not the puny ones. %0D %0D Shame on them whether it's FS or WIC for saying that now the poor aren't even allowed a lousy potato!%0D %0D Why doesn't this government (the Dems as well as the Rethugs) do what they really want to do and just assassinate all poor people that can't work as slaves to the rich. %0D %0D Anyone telling Michelle she and her kids can't eat a damn potato!%0D %0D Fuck them all!%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1912/01/2010

This is one of the most outright elitist moves I've ever seen. Who in the fuck are they to ban potatoes? %0D %0D I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I can't help feeling like something very dangerous is going on.

by Anonymousreply 2012/01/2010

R20, I just wrote essentially the same thing but my post didn't go through. I agree, something is up. Food stockpiling maybe?

by Anonymousreply 2112/01/2010

This is anti-Irish bigotry at its worst! I'll be writin' me alderman about this. You can mark me words! Toi toi toi toi toi.

by Anonymousreply 2212/01/2010

[quote] This is one of the most outright elitist moves I've ever seen.%0D %0D Freep freep freep freep

by Anonymousreply 2312/01/2010

I think I'll troll-dar R23 to find out if he/she is the psycho troll who keeps going from thread to thread calling people "freeps" and "racist".

by Anonymousreply 2412/01/2010

Go ahead r24.

by Anonymousreply 2512/01/2010

I think I'll troll-dar R24 to find out if he/she is a freeper or a racist.

by Anonymousreply 2612/01/2010

It's difficult enough being poor without being obese, too. I simply say "no!" everytime the cook prepares white potatoes. %0D %0D White potatoes are poison, just bursting with toxic starchy carbs and sadness. I'd rather teach poor food stamp recipients how to do some basic hatha yoga and pick wildflowers. %0D %0D Namaste.

by Anonymousreply 2712/01/2010

The intention is to get people to eat other vegetables besides potatoes, like green vegetables. Potatoes already account for something like half the vegetables eaten in the US.

White potatoes are not good for people with diabetes or pre-diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 2812/01/2010

I should amend that to say "fried potatoes" account for half the vegetables eaten in the US.

by Anonymousreply 2912/01/2010

I thought that WIC was for milk, cheese, peanut butter, and fortified cereals only. Basically proteins and fats that nursing women need to pass on to their babies.

My sister's gf's daughter is on WIC. She gets three gallons of whole milk a week for just her and her baby! She can't possibly drink it all or use it all, so she has lots of unused vouchers that she'd like to give back so that larger families can have it. She isn't allowed to do that though, so the vouchers just pile up.

by Anonymousreply 3012/01/2010

[quote]I thought that WIC was for milk, cheese, peanut butter, and fortified cereals only. %0D %0D Me too. I was on WIC about 15 years ago and it only provided the items listed above, plus beans. Apparently it used to include tuna fish and carrots, because they were listed on the folder that contained the vouchers but had been crossed out.

by Anonymousreply 3112/01/2010

Go for it R26. You, of course are notorious for your shit stirring race/sex baiting which is why I'm sure the comment stung a little.

by Anonymousreply 3212/01/2010

Are you intoxicated, R32?

by Anonymousreply 3312/01/2010

[quote]She can't possibly drink it all or use it all, so she has lots of unused vouchers that she'd like to give back so that larger families can have it.

EXCUSE ME! Bread Pudding, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 3412/01/2010

Is WIC behind all the ads on TV promoting women to breastfeed? Because it's free and is a natural birth control?

by Anonymousreply 3512/01/2010

Hi ho, folderol! Folderol, hi ho! The Indians of America discovered the potato.

by Anonymousreply 3712/01/2010

Beggars cannot be choosers. Boo hoo. There are plenty of other healthier alternatives they can buy with their free money.

by Anonymousreply 3812/01/2010

Agree with r20

by Anonymousreply 3912/01/2010

[quote]Yeah, it's a slippery slope, isn't it you controlling, classist fuck? That's what happens when you actually begin dictating what kind of food people can purchase. Eventually, it will affect you too and it will all be the fault of psychos like you who want to regulate things in the name of what you think is healthy and "good for them".

It's not a slippery slope to regulate what people can buy WITH GOVERNMENT MONEY.

by Anonymousreply 4012/01/2010

Once someone in this thread explained that this concerns WIC and not what we used to call food stamps, it made sense.%0D %0D I'm just surprised that agribusiness lobbyists permitted this to happen at all. It will confuse a lot of people who don't understand the difference between the two programs and make potatoes seem like a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 4212/01/2010

[quote]I'm as liberal as they come but enough with the bellyaching over WIC benefits. If you don't like the benefits get a job and buy your own damn food.

You don't really know what "liberal as they come" means, do you?

Reagan's been dead for a long fucking time, people. Stop repeating his tired old shtick about how the poor deserve to be treated like shit because they are just lazy.

by Anonymousreply 4312/01/2010

Yes R43... because prohibiting poor people from using government funds to buy potatoes, despite the healthier options available, is treating the them like shit. They should also be allowed to use the funds to buy soda and alcohol as well, I presume?

by Anonymousreply 4412/01/2010

My guess is that the Potato Farmers' Lobby didn't bribe whomever it was who wanted bribing.

by Anonymousreply 4512/01/2010

R45 Wins for the probable truth.

by Anonymousreply 4612/01/2010

Fuck Idaho and their Mormons!

by Anonymousreply 4712/01/2010

While I am all for fucking Mormons and have in fact fucked my share I still like potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 4812/02/2010

[quote]despite the healthier options available, is treating the them like shit.

no, it isn't

by Anonymousreply 4912/02/2010

Does anyone realize this is some thing that is given to you for free. Just like with food stamps they tell you what you can buy(only food some energy drinks can't buy and deffinatly no beer) it not your money that is being spent and potatoes are not as healthy as one may think personally I don't think corn should be an option either. But hey I don't make the rules I will buy what they say cause I'm getting free. You know they could decide to end the whole program it is not required to have. Be grateful that you can enjoy the foods you can get I know in az fruit was not always given with wic. So I am glad they even supply now.

by Anonymousreply 5008/17/2013

Potatoes, dear r52 are much healthier than YOU think. They are filled with B-vitamins - ALL of them, they fill you up, please read the following on how good whole potatoes are for you. They are considered a SUPERFOOD now. Their phytochemicals rival broccoli.

by Anonymousreply 5108/17/2013

Broccoli doesn't turn into pure sugar like potatoes.

Fuck potatoes!

by Anonymousreply 5208/17/2013

Boycott Russian potatoes!

by Anonymousreply 5308/17/2013

In Vegas you can buy 10 lbs of potatoes for $1. For those to ill or disabled to cook, let alone work, it's a fab addition to whole grain bread. Please remember that many can't regularly get to a market to buy fresh produce either.

by Anonymousreply 5408/17/2013

If those making the decision are worried people are eating too many potatoes, why are they not worried about the massive amounts of corn in most diets?

by Anonymousreply 5508/17/2013

You want to restrict food choices for people on SNAP or WIC - fine.

Just make sure you put the same restrictions on everyone getting government subsidies.

We can start with everyone in the financial sector.

Then we can move onto GM.

Then of course the population of every state that gets more in federal money than it pays to the federal government.

Anybody who gets disaster relief. (That would put Christie on a mandatory diet)

Just think about how healthy the country will become.

by Anonymousreply 5608/17/2013

Cue the HFCS troll in 3..2..1

by Anonymousreply 5708/17/2013

This is ridilculous. Corn is no healthier than potatoes. Juice has a lot of empty calories as well. If people are truly hungry, than they should get the calories and nutrition that they need.

by Anonymousreply 5808/17/2013

Many military families are eligible for WIC. Even single military folks sometimes receive food donations. We don't all make a lot of money, especially gay military couples, who don't collect housing or food allowance when they live off base. Hopefully that will change soon. Not everyone is like the person described at R41.

by Anonymousreply 5908/17/2013

What makes the potato ban so ridiculous, is the powers that be don't realize that not everyone getting aid has a refrigerator or access to a store in extreme weather. Potatoes, especially for the allergic, is one of the most practical answers.

Also for those who can't chew or cook, a few minutes in a microwave, or a neighbor's stove, and someone can eat.

by Anonymousreply 6008/17/2013

What R13 said. WIC is [italic]supplemental[/italic] income, not the sole source. It is a voucher they use at stores that accept the program.

The women who collect WIC benefits already collect other benefits, so they can still buy potatoes from their other subsidies. Just not on their WIC vouchers.

by Anonymousreply 6108/17/2013

R56 Nailed it! All the Republicunts like to rave and foam at the mouth about the welfare Cadillacs and food stamps, but not a peep of outrage when billions go down the rabbit hole to crooked defense contractors like KBR, Halliburton, Martin Marietta, General Dynamics--$9000 wrench anyone? And don't even get me started on Wall Street crooks and hedge funds that were bailed out.

by Anonymousreply 6208/17/2013

Kinda agree with R4 - the whole beggars can't be choosers type of thing.

by Anonymousreply 6308/17/2013

Why are people on SNAP/WIC beggars but the Wall Street CEOs and bankers that came to tax payers with hat in hand and got almost a trillion dollars no questions asked not?

by Anonymousreply 6408/17/2013

At least the money going to poor people goes right back into the economy.

Shame on anyone who defends the wall st. scum who hoard money, privatize their profits and socialize their losses. Do you understand that think they should keep every penny earned and that we should be responsible for every penny they lose?

Why are you angry about someone eating potatoes, but not the unchecked greed on Wall St.? It's not the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 6508/17/2013

Very well said R65, very well and very true indeed.

by Anonymousreply 6608/18/2013

Potatoes are very high on the Glycemic Index scale. You eat 'em, blood sugar spikes. Non-diabetic folks deal with them much better than diabetics, because diabetics have less insulin to bring down their blood sugar. QED. r34 Mmmmmmm........ bread pudding. There's one cooling on my kitchen counter right now. It'll be serveable in about an hour, bring your own spoon. Schlag optional.

by Anonymousreply 6708/18/2013

So the frauen can't make tater tot casserole.

by Anonymousreply 6808/18/2013

This has nothing to do with the poor and nothing to do with the potato.

It has to do with $$. The potato lobby has fewer $$ than the corn lobby. They got banned on that basis.

by Anonymousreply 6908/19/2013

You can babble away about WIC if you want but the truth is, what you can purchase with WIC is very specific and always has been. You are allowed juice, peanut butter and cheese etc. The whole idea of WIC is nutrition for the new mother, not to feed the mother. Food stamps is separate issue.

by Anonymousreply 7008/19/2013

I receive WIC, my family is over income forfood stamps but we barely make enough to pay all our bills let alone buy food. Cutting potatoes is stupid. I use my Wic to buy a bag of potatoes and usually a bag of apples or grapes and bananas. Trust me $6 of produce per child doesn't go far at all even as a "supplement" when a bag of apples or oranges costs $5-6. Wic is basically telling us to eat a million bananas each month or a handful of apples.

by Anonymousreply 7111/20/2013

Many of you don't understand what WIC is. It isn't a program to feed people. It is a nutrition program specifically for pregnant women and new mothers with young children. It has always been very specific about what foods it pays for. WIC is not food stamps.

by Anonymousreply 7211/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.