Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anybody else catch Anne Hathaway being interviewed on NPR?

DAMN! Who knew Hathaway was so insufferably self important? I've generally had not much of an opinion of her other than thinking she came across very sweet and talented. But we were listening to her being interviewed by Terry Gross yesterday and CHRIST she seems like a self important little bitch. Every question was answered with a "Oh yes, yes, well, as an ACT'TOR" or "Ahh. MMM, MMMM yes, well you know, Meryl is brilliant and I just tried to absorb as much as I could from her energy.." She was one big giant Saturday Night Live parody. Of her role in Brokeback Mountain she said "..I just showed up and would ask Ang (Lee), "what color should I be? What color do I need to be in your painting today?" " *VOMMIT*

by Anonymousreply 7904/04/2013

I heard about two minutes and then switched to another station. I'm no longer a fan.

by Anonymousreply 111/30/2010

It's interesting to read this, because I thought Terry Gross came off as a bit hostile, which isn't generally her nature. Every one of her questions sounded skeptical, as though she started out not sure that Hathaway deserved any of her success or fame, and wanted Hathaway to try to justify herself. "I hate it when pretty girls play plain girls. I'm not sure there's a question in there, but I just wanted to say it." (Okay, Terry. Thanks for letting us know your issues). "Well, don't you want to sing instead? Why aren't you singing?" Etc.

The interview was very uncomfortable. But I'll be tuning in to hear her fawn over Natalie Portman, who somehow manages to have a career despite her flat delivery and nasal Valley Girl voice.

by Anonymousreply 211/30/2010

That film, Passengers... she refused to do any promotion for it, because Rachel Getting Married came out at the same time and it was getting Oscar buzz. She didn't want a commercial flick to endanger her chances of winning an Oscar for a role in a 'serious' film. The studio had no choice but to dump Passengers in the theaters and expect a loss. You can imagine how the people who invested time and money in making the film felt. I always thought she's a mediocre actress, but since I heard this (and, trust me, this is true) I pretty much can't stand her.

The way you described her, OP, sounds about right.

by Anonymousreply 311/30/2010

She came off the same on Charlie Rose.

by Anonymousreply 411/30/2010

R3,

I'm not exaggerating when I say my comments at OP was just a little drop. You should go listen to the interview; the name dropping "Oh, my Meryl..." OH, my Stanley (Tucci)" "Well, as I was telling Ang (Lee)... And before answering most of the questions, she would do this "MMMMM," as if she'd just tasted a delicious piece of pie or that the question was just something she intended on savoring via her answer.

I hate to hate her but listening to this interview would make it easy.

by Anonymousreply 511/30/2010

People who have met Anne Hathaway have said that she is a MAJOR BITCH.%0D %0D On the set of BRIDE WARS, she was insufferable to most people. She was rude and condescending. %0D %0D On the other hand, Kate Hudson supposedly was very sweet to the "little people" while filming BRIDE WARS.

by Anonymousreply 611/30/2010

R3 ask Eddie Murphy or Liv Ullman about that. Hathaway was just being smart.%0D %0D I can't think of one other person who could have done "Rachel getting married" as well, especially that scene with Debra Winger. Chris Ricci, perhaps, but no one else.

by Anonymousreply 711/30/2010

Can someone post a link to the interview?

by Anonymousreply 811/30/2010

Can you go to the NPR website and click on the link, lazy self centered ass hole at R8. Do you want me to cut up your meat for you, too?

by Anonymousreply 911/30/2010

Girl does like to take her shirt off.

by Anonymousreply 1011/30/2010

R9, you need help.

R8, it's really easy to find. Just go to NPR's site, find the 'Fresh Air' page or search for Terry Gross interviews. You'll find it there.

by Anonymousreply 1111/30/2010

r7, Christina Ricci? Are you kidding? It was a movie about a guilt ridden drug addict not an autistic, hydrocephalitic dwarf who had escaped from a sideshow.

by Anonymousreply 1211/30/2010

Turn your head back around, R9..and again and again and one more time. There. You keep the crucifix.

by Anonymousreply 1311/30/2010

Are the lesbian rumors designed as a slur or are they separate from her reputation as a twit?

by Anonymousreply 1411/30/2010

Any woman has to deal with so much bullshit in this industry. If they've made it as long as she has , they can be as self important as they like.

Good for her, that flawless bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1511/30/2010

Say what you like about Hathaway, but I'd wager she knows how to spell a simple word like VOMIT.

by Anonymousreply 1611/30/2010

Not that I'm a fan . . . but that gossip monger Lainey observes today that Anne Hathaway has an "earnestness problem" that would rival Anne Shirley of the Green Gables series. I would humbly suggest that Anne Hathaway's breathy namedropping has more to do with her geeky, tin-eared, overearnest self than it does with true snobbery.

by Anonymousreply 1711/30/2010

The lesbian rumors are separate. Supposedly she was with Wiener Dog and Emily Blunt, but I never heard anything to confirm any of that.

by Anonymousreply 1811/30/2010

so another one that DL's hate, won't be anyone left soon.

by Anonymousreply 1911/30/2010

[quote]I thought Terry Gross came off as a bit hostile%0D %0D Anything is better than her innane giggles and star-struck softball questions that she does 90% of the time.

by Anonymousreply 2011/30/2010

Is it name-dropping when you're asked to describe your experiences making a movie and you mention the actors you worked with? If she only spoke of herself, she'd be criticized for being self-centered.

by Anonymousreply 2111/30/2010

Well I gather her reviews for he romcom with Jakey are pretty awful.%0D %0D That should make some of you appalled ladies happy.

by Anonymousreply 2211/30/2010

This "she's a snob" business sounds like tenth grade lunchroom fodder.

by Anonymousreply 2311/30/2010

I suppose so, R20. But it was so unlike her to be so hostile.

I just mean to say that the interview made Terry Gross look bad too. Ridiculous that a woman of Gross' stature and age would come off as threatened or perturbed by a twenty-something. I'm surprised they ran the show.

by Anonymousreply 2411/30/2010

Is she still with the grifter boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 2511/30/2010

I liked the fact that she called Terry Gross on this juvenile preoccupation with the fact that there was nudity in the movie.

I'm sure she is so sick of talking about that issue with people giggling that they saw her boobies. America at her most stupid, outside of the Palin manse.

I was, however, surprised to hear her say that she played the phone conversation with Ennis (telling him about Jack's death) differently in two takes. One, as she knew about the gay bashing. The other, she did not. And that Ang used parts of both takes, but she had no idea whether her character really knew. That was such a big part of her character, you'd think she'd care more about what the character really knew.

I like her and think she is very talented, but she did come off as a bit pretentious.

But when Terry dogged her about not getting more singing roles, I liked how she shot her down by pointing out how stupid and selfish it would be for her to whine about not getting work.

by Anonymousreply 2611/30/2010

And yet - either she's got a great agent or the industry must LOVE her, because she and James Franco were announced yesterday as the hosts for this year's Oscars.

MMMMMM indeed.

by Anonymousreply 2711/30/2010

Somehow, I don't think she would be bothered by criticism from people who can't spell vomit.

Just a hunch.

by Anonymousreply 2811/30/2010

[quote]That film, Passengers... she refused to do any promotion for it, because Rachel Getting Married came out at the same time and it was getting Oscar buzz. She didn't want a commercial flick to endanger her chances of winning an Oscar for a role in a 'serious' film. The studio had no choice but to dump Passengers in the theaters and expect a loss. You can imagine how the people who invested time and money in making the film felt. I always thought she's a mediocre actress, but since I heard this (and, trust me, this is true) I pretty much can't stand her.

Jealous much? The film was a dog. The studio knew this. They know before the final cut. No film is released today blindly. If it were in her contract to promote it, she would have. She was in no position to refuse anything.

by Anonymousreply 2911/30/2010

[quote]I can't think of one other person who could have done "Rachel getting married" as well, especially that scene with Debra Winger.

I didn't think Hathaway was that great in the film. I generally find her really mannered. She was the weakest (among the leads) in both Prada and Brokeback Mountain.

[quote]I would humbly suggest that Anne Hathaway's breathy namedropping has more to do with her geeky, tin-eared, overearnest self than it does with true snobbery.

No humble person would decide to tank a film for her own benefit.

by Anonymousreply 3011/30/2010

[quote] I was, however, surprised to hear her say that she played the phone conversation with Ennis (telling him about Jack's death) differently in two takes.

R26 is obviously a rabid Hathaway fangirl, but what she wasn't listening closely enough. Hathaway said she "played it both ways" obviously meaning mentally/emotionally. Nothing was said about her playing it "in two takes".

Back to iVillage hon.

by Anonymousreply 3111/30/2010

R28, we heard you the first time, just like we saw you drooling over Hathaway @ r26.

Rabid fan much?

by Anonymousreply 3211/30/2010

She was lovely. Some of you are just looking for something to bitch about as usual!

by Anonymousreply 3311/30/2010

We get it R31 and R32, you don't like Hathaway.%0D %0D Stop stinking up the thread.

by Anonymousreply 3411/30/2010

now this was years ago (2004ish) but i was editing a program she was appearing on for Nickelodeon (maybe for the second princess movie), so I got to see her in between takes (so would never be seen on tv, clearly), dealing with the kids in the studio audience and being told she was getting slimed - shit like that.

she was delightful. i can see the whole overly earnest thing being true. but she was gracious to the crew and the kids and was game for anything.

jessica alba, on the other hand, is a whiny bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3511/30/2010

[quote]Hathaway said she "played it both ways" obviously meaning mentally/emotionally. Nothing was said about her playing it "in two takes."

She did say it was done in multiple takes then edited together. Now please apologize.

by Anonymousreply 3611/30/2010

I like Terry Gross's show because she gets mostly interesting guests, but she really needs to edit her questions. Some of them ramble on waaaay too long and often lapse into self-importance.

by Anonymousreply 3711/30/2010

I have no feeling for her either way. She's fine, I find her rather odd looking but someone must really like her. I heard she was bored to tears at an Italian American Foundation dinner in DC. She was with the grifter. Who could blame her. She is still young. Her reviews have been pretty good in Love and Other Drugs. I think Hollywood is just desperate for a beautiful young American star who is actually talented and is not totally fucked up. We have Portman, Johanssen and Hathaway. That's pretty much it. The industry loves them.

by Anonymousreply 3811/30/2010

"Hathaway said she "played it both ways" obviously meaning mentally/emotionally. Nothing was said about her playing it "in two takes"

R31: Before you prance out your tired, sniping, bitchy, old "know it all done it all" queen routine, you should probably check your facts, if not a reasonably clean mirror.

Hathaway did in fact talk about doing two takes, one knowing her husband had been gay and the other where she didn't know. And she said that Ang used bits from both takes.

Now fuck off an bother someone else with your supercilious prattle.

by Anonymousreply 3911/30/2010

*VOMMIT* oh, dear

by Anonymousreply 4011/30/2010

[quote]I didn't think Hathaway was that great in the film. I generally find her really mannered. She was the weakest (among the leads) in both Prada and Brokeback Mountain.

I agree. I don't think she's a great actress or a great beauty.

I don't see why she's constantly pitched as the next big thing.

by Anonymousreply 4111/30/2010

[quote] *VOMMIT* oh, dear

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4211/30/2010

Two takes on it: one she knew, one she didn't know.

Those two takes were probably shot multiple times each.

She wasn't using the word take to refer to each shot the director shot, although the word take can and frequently is used to refer to that.

by Anonymousreply 4311/30/2010

Does she talk about being a rape victim?

by Anonymousreply 4411/30/2010

OP, get a life. I listened to that interview and thought it was a good one. Terry didn't seem hostile to me. Anne struck me as talking seriously about acting.

by Anonymousreply 4511/30/2010

Is the Judy Garland film DOA?

by Anonymousreply 4611/30/2010

She was an adorable Lili in CARNIVAL at Encores! a few years back. But that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 4711/30/2010

Apparently the Judy "I Twitch Throughout My Very Mannered Delivery of Every Song Because I'm a Junkie" Garland movie is still on.

Hathaway was saying that they haven't decided whether they will use her voice or dub it, acknowledging that some elderly queens might object, and possibly fall victim to an alcohol-induced hissy-coma, if they dub.

by Anonymousreply 4811/30/2010

She was also wonderful in "Twelfth Night" at the park R47, with Audra McDonald and DL favorite Raul Esparza.

And I think she was just as good as Michelle Williams in "Brokeback"

by Anonymousreply 4911/30/2010

I heard most of the interview, and I don't understand the hate expressed on this thread either, r49.

She has demonstrable talents, she treats her profession with respect, she has integrity, she has developed excellent working relationships with others in the industry, and she started working with "greats" at a very young age.

Oh, wait a minute. She played the bitch wife to Jake Gyllenhaal's character in "Brokeback Mountain," so she therefore must be a bitch in real life.

by Anonymousreply 5011/30/2010

"Don't get the hate"? She's talented, successful and beautiful, and had lead roles in two of the biggest films of the last ten years. Of course DLers hate her.

by Anonymousreply 5111/30/2010

Her brother, Michael is gay.

by Anonymousreply 5211/30/2010

R52, from Wikipedia:

"However, at the age of 15, she decided not to become a nun after learning that her brother Michael was gay.[8] Despite her Catholic upbringing, she felt she could not be part of a religion that condemned her brother's sexual orientation."

by Anonymousreply 5311/30/2010

Terry Gross is an idiot. I don't know why people don't go running screaming from her.

by Anonymousreply 5411/30/2010

R3 writes this on every Hathaway thread.

R3 is the anti-Anne Hathaway troll.

by Anonymousreply 5511/30/2010

Did she talk about her tit bags?

by Anonymousreply 5611/30/2010

I like Terry Gross, but she does tend to fawn over male celebrities.

It's the typical "ugly girl wanting to be cool" syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 5711/30/2010

OP, there's a little rule about "Fresh Air" that has me inclined to forgive Anne: Terry Gross is a pretentious CU Next Tuesday who somehow encourages her interview subjects to take on a similar personality. The only interview I've heard her do that was 100% entertaining was when she had Tracy Morgan on. He's so out of it that you could tell she was pretty annoyed. Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 5811/30/2010

What about her interview with Gene Simmons? Felt sorry for her in that one

by Anonymousreply 5911/30/2010

Wow, we apparently have a serious shill for Ms. Hathaway in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6011/30/2010

[quote]Jealous much? The film was a dog. The studio knew this. They know before the final cut. No film is released today blindly. If it were in her contract to promote it, she would have. She was in no position to refuse anything.

Uhm, why would I be jealous? Do you think I am the film's director? I do know EXACTLY what happened with the film and Hathaway. Yes, the promotion was in her contract and she said, no. And, yes, the film was problematic. I knew about the problems they had with the film even before you knew that this film existed. So, go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 6111/30/2010

[quote][[R3]] writes this on every Hathaway thread. R3 is the anti-Anne Hathaway troll.

I'll take the title, frankly.

A mediocre actress she is.

by Anonymousreply 6211/30/2010

R61/62 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag. The studio, director, and two stars disowned (Hathaway and Patrick Wilson)the film long before it's 150 or so screen release.

BTW both Sony and Sony Classics had both Rachel and Passengers so your theory that Hathaway abandoned the film all by herself is wrong.

Now begone before a house drops on you!

by Anonymousreply 6311/30/2010

[quote]but she had no idea whether her character really knew

Do you know that the screen writers and ang lee had different takes on this, too? It's not clear cut, either in the movie or the story. Proulx son't say, either way. What we see onscreen is what Ennis BELIEVES. You're seeing what he feels, and because of his history (seeing the men who'd been killed for being gay when he was a boy), he assumed that Ennis had been killed for being gay. But that flash is in his mind, not in reality. It may have actually been an accident.

Okay, all that said, I've always thought he was bashed and I still do.

by Anonymousreply 6411/30/2010

[quote][R61]/62 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag. The studio, director, and two stars disowned (Hathaway and Patrick Wilson)the film long before it's 150 or so screen release.

The director did not disown the film, that much I can tell you. And I stand by what I wrote - Hathaway refused to promote the film. Now, go rub one while you watch Ratchel getting married.

by Anonymousreply 6511/30/2010

I meant, Rachel getting married.

by Anonymousreply 6611/30/2010

I don't get her appeal at all. She looks like a Keane painting come to life, her eyes scare me. She must be really scary without make-up!

As for co-hosting the Oscars, she is going to bomb.

by Anonymousreply 6711/30/2010

I agree, R67. She is grotesque.

by Anonymousreply 6811/30/2010

Hagaway is a hack actor. However, she does look like Judy Garland minus the talent. I haven't finished this thread, but if she's doing a bio-pic of Garland it's great visual casting. Hopefully, the director can coak a real performance out of the christmas duck. If so, I can see and Oscar in her future.

by Anonymousreply 7011/30/2010

r70 been there done that

by Anonymousreply 7111/30/2010

They may have been all smiles for the camera during TDKR press tour, but sources say that down-to-earth Joseph Gordon-Levitt actually can’t stand his costar Anne Hathaway. Joseph says she’s always acted like an insufferable snob toward him and that the awkwardness got so bad between them during filming that whenever she’d walk into a room, he’d have to immediately walk out of it.

“He thinks she’s a good actress, but he just doesn’t understand her ego,” says our source. “Also, Anne was very dismissive of Joseph early in her career. She even turned down a couple of jobs where she was supposed to act opposite him.”

But with this movie, she was actually at a disadvantage when he was cast because Joseph already had a long relationship with director Christopher Nolan. Regardless, Anne was as rude as ever to him – which really ticked him off.

“He wanted to make fun of how seriously Anne was taking herself and the role,” says a source. “He was too polite to point out to her that she was playing a cat in a comic-book movie, not actually saving the world,” the insider says.

From Star Magazine

by Anonymousreply 7208/10/2012

I gave up on Gross after her closet-racist Jay-Z interview.

by Anonymousreply 7308/10/2012

[quote]"what color should I be? What color do I need to be in your painting today?"

WTF? How do you act a color? This is one reason I can't stand actors. The "what's my motivation?" type shit is ridiculous. A paycheck is your motivation. I loved Robert Mitchum's attitude towards acting. So much more down to earth and real.

by Anonymousreply 7408/10/2012

Anne was very rude in a recent interview with a Filipino journalist.The journalist was lambasted for how it turned out but Anne was really brusque.I hope the Filipinos will see this article and comment thread.

by Anonymousreply 7504/04/2013

R72's topic can't be true, as AnnE has a cameo in "Don Jon's Addiction".

by Anonymousreply 7604/04/2013

Wow, so she's been an insufferable cunt since 2010?

by Anonymousreply 7704/04/2013

Yes, R77. But she really upped her game in 2012.

by Anonymousreply 7804/04/2013

AnnE's interview with the Filipino press for Les Miz. She may come off as prickly but the interviewer is a loopy tool. Lea Salonga via Blackberry is the third party.

by Anonymousreply 7904/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.