Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jack White--musician

He's adorable. Any stories about this guy? Share all.

by Anonymousreply 5402/26/2013

A critics' darling. Not sure if there are that many fans in the real world.

by Anonymousreply 111/29/2010

OP=Straight female

by Anonymousreply 211/29/2010

He's like the musical version of Johnny Depp. Not the actual musical version of Johnny Depp, of course.

He seems incredibly friendly and open and he and his sister-lover-mother all have quite a self-deprecating dark humor. I hope he's around forever.

by Anonymousreply 311/29/2010

R2, have you seen him???? I just watched him perform a duet with Mick Jagger and those glances at Mick from the corner of his eye were very sweet.

by Anonymousreply 411/29/2010

My sister met him about 10 years ago before he was famous. He played at her college. Apparently he was incredibly good-looking and very nice.

by Anonymousreply 511/29/2010

Talented and hasn't sold out, does what he feels like doing. Resurrected Loretta Lynn's career a few years ago (the album Van Lear Rose was awesome, see link).

by Anonymousreply 611/29/2010

Watch Under the Great Northern Lights, about the White Stripes touring through Canada. Great insight into Jack, his music and his relationship with his 'sister' (ex wife), Meg.

by Anonymousreply 711/30/2010

So aside from the band are him & meg still close?

by Anonymousreply 811/30/2010

Was he engaged to Rene Z?

by Anonymousreply 911/30/2010

...not bad in Cold Mountain, either.%0D (love the soundtrack, by the way)

by Anonymousreply 1011/30/2010

I think he's married to a model now. Which is the ultimate fate of most rock musicians.%0D %0D He's the real thing, though.

by Anonymousreply 1111/30/2010

He's a true talent.%0D %0D I met him and the rest of the Raconteurs once. You could tell the other guys in the band worshipped him.

by Anonymousreply 1211/30/2010

OK, I was just hooking up a new TV so I have an excuse. But I saw part of a number Jessica Simpson did on NBC(?) and she was godawful. Unbelievably bad. So why is this culture putting Jessica Simpson on prime time when we have to hunt down Jack White? He's cuter than she is, he sings and plays better. Sometimes I wonder if we secretly haven't been taken over.

by Anonymousreply 1311/30/2010

[quote]I think he's married to a model now. Which is the ultimate fate of most rock musicians.%0D %0D Not just any model, Karen Elson!

by Anonymousreply 1411/30/2010

He Worships Loretta Lynn.

Why couldn't it be Dolly Parton?

by Anonymousreply 1511/30/2010

Meg got married- to Patti Smith's son Jackson- at Jack's place in Nashville in the last year or so. They seem to be on good terms.

He's pretty low-key off-stage. Karen Elson is a sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 1611/30/2010

It's bred.

by Anonymousreply 1711/30/2010

I watched "Its gonna get loud" for Page and ended up falling in love with Jack. He seems so genuine. He just seems to love the music, not interested in main-stream acceptance, yet not a poser indie boy either.

by Anonymousreply 1811/30/2010

in what world is jack white considered cute? he looks like a white version of michael jackson.

by Anonymousreply 1912/01/2010

Well, he's looked better:

by Anonymousreply 2012/01/2010

I don't really care for him--I think he looks like a cross between Marilyn Manson and the Joker. Never cared for the White Stripe's music, either. That said, he redeemed himself with the resurrection of Loretta Lynn's career. Isn't he working on another album with her?

by Anonymousreply 2112/01/2010

Portland, Oregon - his duet with Loretta - is the best pop song of the last decade.

by Anonymousreply 2212/01/2010

He made an appearance at the latest PBS arts at the White House thingy where the celebration was for Paul McCartney and his music. The President and his family were there as was Paul. White played one of Paul's older songs (can't remember which) and he was absolutely outstanding. The entire place erupted in a standing ovation when he finished his set.

by Anonymousreply 2312/01/2010

Defines epicene. A friend of mine met him in a bar in Detroit and shook his hand ("Hey man, I really like your music" "Thanks") right before he got into a fight with another guy in said bar. My friend said it was surreal: this clammy, etiolated, limp-fingered dandy was suddenly tearing the place up with a local kid.

by Anonymousreply 2412/01/2010

He's a great musician. His playing while he sings is incredible. He got the chops. Oh and most important, he loves to show off his bulge! Check it out!

by Anonymousreply 2512/01/2010

He's very talented and a fascinating person. He's the real deal. Very cool guy in real life.

by Anonymousreply 2612/01/2010

What's with the fighting thing? Does anyone know about his family? Were they musicians or performers?

by Anonymousreply 2712/01/2010

[quote] Resurrected Loretta Lynn's career a few years ago

Oh, dear. R6? I don't think Loretta Lynn ever needed a career resurrection and most would agree that the results of their collaboration was likely very much the opposite. It's Lynn who help raise his career up and give him more exposure.

Are you 17?

by Anonymousreply 2812/01/2010

OK, here he is performing with Mick Jagger. Look at that smile, R19.

by Anonymousreply 2912/01/2010

He's fugly and his music sucks.

by Anonymousreply 3012/01/2010

Mainstream country fans weren't even buying her records anymore, r28. Her last hit was in the '80s. People under 40 didn't know who she was, or (ignorantly, yes, but do you make a point of listening to every artist you ever hear the name of?) wrote her off because she was country. So yes, he did get her a lot of exposure among people who never had any reason to be aware of her before. Whether it should have been the other way around has nothing to do what actually happened.

by Anonymousreply 3112/01/2010

R31,

She wasn't selling albums because she wasn't putting anything out. The woman is known as the "Queen of Country" and most anything she'd sell is going to be a success. She's semi-retired, that doesn't mean she is/was dead of fame or success.

So no, Jack White did not "resurrect" her career. He convinced her to record with him; smart move, smart guy. But she lent more cred to his work, by lightyears, than he lent to hers.

That's what actually happened and no amount your fangurl delusion can change that. I'm not even a big LL fan, yet even I know that Black, who has mediocre fame and name recognition at best would somehow "resurrect" a music legend who isn't "dead".

by Anonymousreply 3212/01/2010

Jack is from a big family. His real last name is Gillies. Meg's real last name is White. He's one of 8 or 10 kids. Both are originally from Detroit. He and Karen have two kids and live in Nashville. That's where his recording studio, Third Man, is located. The studio also features a record store--has anyone been there?%0D %0D He is a master furniture upholsterer, a job he had before being a musician full-time. %0D %0D Yes, I'm a fan.

by Anonymousreply 3312/01/2010

Jack White didn't resurrect Loretta - but he did introduce her to a whole new generation of fans: young, hip, indie kids who love anything that is considered eclectic or off the beaten path. However, it may have felt like a resurrection because country music is so insular in its own way.

But Loretta has always been the queen, with millions and millions of fans.

by Anonymousreply 3412/01/2010

[quote]She wasn't selling albums because she wasn't putting anything out. The woman is known as the "Queen of Country" and most anything she'd sell is going to be a success. She's semi-retired, that doesn't mean she is/was dead of fame or success.

No, she stopped putting albums out because they weren't selling anymore. She had all of two top ten hits in the '80s. Johnny Cash was in the same boat at one point. So was Merle. Since the '90s, at least, country music radio has been acting just like pop radio.

I'm certainly not arguing that Jack White is the better artist. But Loretta Lynn's fanbase was losing more people to old age than it was picking up.

by Anonymousreply 3512/01/2010

[quote]He and Karen have two kids and live in Nashville. That's where his recording studio, Third Man, is located. The studio also features a record store--has anyone been there?%0D %0D And Karen has a vintage clothing shop. I know I sound like a fangurl, but what a cool couple.

by Anonymousreply 3612/01/2010

Karen recently released a solo album that got decent reviews. She met Jack when she starred in the (quite awesome) White Stripes video for "Blue Orchid."%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3712/01/2010

it's condescending nit-picking bitches like r32 that I love the most.

by Anonymousreply 3812/01/2010

Loretta wrote all of the songs on Van Lear Rose. She is an incredible songwriter for someone who only has a grade 6 education!

by Anonymousreply 3912/01/2010

Loretta was also featured on Bright Eyes' Wide Awake album, which gave her even more indie cred.

And Jack loves Dolly, too. Check out his version of Jolene. It's fucking awesome.

by Anonymousreply 4012/01/2010

He's the epitome of a thylacine, a marsupial tiger wiped out by the English settlers of Tasmania.

by Anonymousreply 4112/01/2010

OP, he also did a cameo as Elvis in the film WALK HARD - THE DEWEY COX STORY.

I mention it because he was on less than two minutes and was hilarious. For those who missed it:

by Anonymousreply 4212/01/2010

"Loretta wrote all of the songs on Van Lear Rose. She is an incredible songwriter".%0D %0D That's sufficient, R39. No more need be said.%0D %0D %0D " You look like Greta Garbo..

by Anonymousreply 4312/01/2010

I'm one of the few people who actually liked his theme song for Quantum of Solace, the last James Bond movie. I had it as my ring tone.

by Anonymousreply 4412/01/2010

R24 I'm surprised he has a weak handshake. He seems so confident and has a burly quality to him when he's not real skinny with girly hair. There is a journalist from Detroit who claims Jack has been known to be scrappy with quite a few people. He even said Jack is a trained boxer. No doubt having six older brothers who probably bullied him a lot bred a fighting spirit in him.

by Anonymousreply 4512/02/2010

The Quantum of Solace song with Alicia Keys ("Another Way to Die") grew on me. Now I kind of like it.%0D %0D "Elephant" is my favorite release of the 00s. It's been on heavy rotation in my house since I bought it years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4612/02/2010

This thread is infested with a rabid Jack White fan.

by Anonymousreply 4712/02/2010

He needs more love.

by Anonymousreply 4812/08/2010

My friend just saw him and few months ago, and she said up close in person that he is Gorgeous; that he is tall & thin & the dark hair just flows.

by Anonymousreply 4912/09/2010

r40 I think you mean Emmy Lou Harris.. duh

by Anonymousreply 5002/26/2013

He and Conan are buddies. There's a great interview vid at the link.

by Anonymousreply 5102/26/2013

Jack White said in many interviews that he loved Loretta Lynn before he ever met her.

When he produced her album, he made her dig through a bunch of old songs she had written. He picked a lot of them, but they were all written by Loretta, include one she had written for Elvis in the 70s.

The arrangements are simple and honest. If anything, it's UNDER produced.

Won best Country Album of 2005.

She recorded it at age 72, (he was 28) and It's considered the best album of her very long career.

If Loretta ever makes another album, it will be with Jack.

by Anonymousreply 5202/26/2013

Conan loves guitars

by Anonymousreply 5302/26/2013

The opposite of Jack Black.

by Anonymousreply 5402/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.