Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tassimo, Nespresso or Keurig?

Which is best? It's a gift for my Mom, but I may get one too, although I swear by my french press.

by Anonymousreply 5501/08/2013

R1, which one do you have?

by Anonymousreply 211/29/2010

Avoid Tassimo. My partner worked on their ad campaign which was killed since people started reporting problems with it. Apparently, their pods can explode if the machine does not manage to get to the right temperature.

by Anonymousreply 311/29/2010

I have a Nespresso. It was a gift and we barely use it. The coffee is good but quite expensive. The pods, of course, are proprietary and can only be purchased through them. We have a Saeco automatic system that we swear by. Large initial investment, but per cup cost is low.

by Anonymousreply 411/29/2010

R4, you can get empty pods made my NexPod and fill it with whatever coffee you choose.

by Anonymousreply 611/29/2010

This has to be the worst invention of all time. Just make yourself a pot of coffee and enjoy, so much cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 811/29/2010

I'd rather spend money on 100% Kona coffee than on those individual coffee pods, which are not very flavorful, IMHO. And yes, I love my French press too.

by Anonymousreply 911/29/2010

I got a Keurig a few months back for a family reunion. Everybody got a great cup of coffee and tea and got to choose from w die selection. They loved it.%0D %0D I used to drink coffee only rarely and making a pot to get one cup seemed wasteful to me. Now I can get the one cup i want - caf or decaf and even half caf, and I love it.

by Anonymousreply 1111/29/2010

This is a gift for my Mom, who is older and doesn't want to deal with a french press. She has asked about these pod machines, so that's why I am trying to find the best one. She only drinks one or two cups in the morning, so making a whole pot is really wasteful. (as R11 points out) It looks like Nespresso is just espresso, so that's out. She wants coffee.

by Anonymousreply 1211/29/2010

Keurig has a greater variety of coffee (and tea and cocoa) available than Tassimo. It's not espresso, but if you don't mind a cup of *good* drip, the quality is super.

by Anonymousreply 1311/29/2010

I just bought my parents a Keurig for Xmas since they make lousy weak coffee by the pot so this may up the quality since the k-cups are premeasured. We've got a Senseo at the house which my partner likes but the pods are getting harder to find - our Kroger supermarket has dropped them completely.

by Anonymousreply 1411/29/2010

Do any of them take that shit-processed coffee?

I've got money to burn.

by Anonymousreply 1511/29/2010

Kuerig is awesome. You can even use your own coffee. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 1611/29/2010

What is a French Press?

by Anonymousreply 1811/29/2010

I stayed in an executive suite @ The Four Seasons Hotel (it was for work)and there was a NESPRESSO machine in the room. I LOVED it! (Keep in mind I drink espresso every single day, and that's all I ever order at Starbucks or Caribou...) Anyways, the pods I had were 'light blue' and brown, and there was a golden color one that (I think, was decaf) -ALL DELISH.%0D %0D I fell in love with the machine and I'm getting myself one for XMas!%0D %0D (The Pods are only about 55 cents a pod)

by Anonymousreply 1911/29/2010

Keurig BREAKS DOWN ALL THE TIME! Look on any retail site that has customer ratings and you'll see them. Even on Keurig own site they have customers complaining about it breaking. AVOID!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2011/29/2010

I got a Keurig last year and I love it. Mine has had no problems and neither have my siblings who received one. We all got one from Mom. Keurig also gives you the ability to use your own coffee with an accessory you can purchase.

by Anonymousreply 2111/29/2010

Love my Nespresso. If you like the foamed milk for a latte or cappuccino make sure you get the Aeroccino.

by Anonymousreply 2211/29/2010

The Tassimo also makes cappachino and lattes. The Keurig does not. Also when you put Keurig v Tassimo into search - the first two sites, the people pick the Tassimo over the Keurig. I especially pay attention to those who have both. I am getting the Tassimo.

by Anonymousreply 2311/29/2010

Has anyone tried the Cuisinart? It has an adjustable temp, and also uses the K Cups and has the cup accessory where you can use your own coffee. Also, you can make iced beverages.

Maybe if the Keurig is always breaking this is a good alternative?

by Anonymousreply 2411/29/2010

Keuring over a year use twice a day never a problem. Great for seniors but the pod can be pricey for them. About .50 cents a cup. If you use the KCup and use your own coffee it's cheaper but cleaning the mini filter is a bitch sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 2511/29/2010

I bought my partner the Breville Keurig machine two years ago. We love it! It's been very reliable, with not a single issue. We get the k-cups at Costco which brings the per-cup price down to 44 cents. Costco only carries the Tully's French Roast or Kona Blend, so we go with the French Roast. I'd prefer their Italian Roast, but so far Costco hasn't added that one.

I really like the consistency. You get exactly the same cup of coffee each time. I also like that you aren't making more then you need. I don't know if I can say we've saved money with it, but we definitely don't throw out as much coffee as we used to.

by Anonymousreply 2611/29/2010

i have a tassimo and works well for my partner and me. we have had it for about 2 years with no problems. if there is a downside it is the pods are more difficult to find. i have to go to bed bath and beyond while keuring's are stocked in the grocery store. we get up hours apart in the AM so we both get a fresh cup.

by Anonymousreply 2711/30/2010

Tassimo user here. I like it, but agree the discs are harder to find than the k-cups. It seems more are European brands, so perhaps it's more popular over there? We like it and so far haven't had any issues. Just last night I made a hot chocolate (great with a splash of fat free half and half added).

by Anonymousreply 2912/03/2010

Nescafe has a few too. Those are some sexy looking machines.

by Anonymousreply 3012/04/2010

bump

by Anonymousreply 3105/03/2011

Never by a Keurig. We have tried three and after following all manufacturing instructions and suggestions have just thrown out our third. Love the concept but Cuisineart, Mr. Coffee and Keurig are all using the same system. Maybe the new Vue will do better.

by Anonymousreply 3204/07/2012

Senseo for me. In Europe there are many different pad(pod) makers for this machine. In America the pads are a little harder to find.

by Anonymousreply 3306/03/2012

Kuerig is for old people

by Anonymousreply 3406/03/2012

If you're at all serious about coffe, get a supearautomatic by Saeco or, if money is no object, Jura.

They brew fantastic coffee at the push of a button and you can use any type of bean that you want. The initial cost, at $400 upwards, is steep, so it's not for the only-Sunday-breakfast-and-guests-over-type coffee drinker, but if you dring 2-4 cups of coffe a day, it will pay for itself within a couple of years, and like I said, the coffee is great. And it works out far cheaper than any pod system.

We had our last machine for over 10 years and never had any kind of problem with it; we're now on our second one for 2+ years and again, nothing but satisfaction. Like with all coffee makers, you just have to descale it once every month or so.

by Anonymousreply 3506/03/2012

KEURIG!!

by Anonymousreply 3606/03/2012

Sorry about the catastrophic typos in my post above -- I wish you could still preview a post before it goes online.

However, I stand by every word about the benefits of a superautomatic coffee machine.

by Anonymousreply 3706/03/2012

Nespresso coffee costs about $50 per lb.

by Anonymousreply 3806/03/2012

They'll all do the job, with the Tassimo our choice because of its versatility - can make espressos, lattes, teas, hot chocolate, etc. Also have the nespresso, but it sits in storage. Made great espresso (only) and no retail coffee availability. The new Keurig Vue does alot of what the Tassimo does, so there is that option - but it uses different pods than other Keurigs. Tassimo has recovered from a recall and redesigned their units, we're seeing new offerings now as well . . . so I think they're here to stay. Can buy a good selection at Target and Bed Bath and Beyond, or online for greater savings.

by Anonymousreply 3909/21/2012

LOVE my Tassimo for the reasons stated by R39.

by Anonymousreply 4009/21/2012

try the old fashion italian percolator. About 15 dollars. The six cup espresso one makes a great cup of coffee and you buy whatever coffee you like

by Anonymousreply 4109/21/2012

I bought a Keurig as a hostess gift for a friend after staying at her house for a week and drinking shitty Mr. Coffee.

She mentioned that she wanted one of these things and chose the brand herself. I would have gone with something else.

Consumer Reports rates only two pod coffeemakers as CR Recommends:

Krups Nescafe Dolce Gusto Circolo

Smart Cafe My Invento

They're both on Amazon (the Krups is now Delonghi). The Dolce is $109, the DeLonghi is $79.00. There wasn't that much difference between them. The Dolce was faster and had a more consistent temperature. The DeLonghi scored higher on convenience which may count with your mother. It also scored higher on brewing range and size consistency.

Coming in third in the rankings but not one of their "CR Recommends" is the Keurig Platinum B70 at $180. It scored lower than the first two on everything except on size consistency.

by Anonymousreply 4209/21/2012

As long as it's not a Tig Notaro you should be fine.

by Anonymousreply 4309/21/2012

Nespresso all the way..My elderly parents use one I use one all my family in Europe use them...There is a wide variety of coffee available as well as a choice of brewing espresso or luongo (regular cup) the milk can be foams or steamed for cappuccino or latte hot or cold. Taste is amazing..good European quality coffee.

by Anonymousreply 4410/25/2012

I had a Tassimo until it broke after a few years, and I'm not going to replace it. A few people here have commented that the pods are hard to find. And they are. I didn't think it would bother me, but it proved to be a major inconvenience trying to find the pods. They sell them -- or at least used to -- at Target, but I only go there every few months. I would have to go out of my way to these huge stores just to get coffee, which was annoying. Meanwhile, you can get Kuering at any Kroger or supermarket. Tassimo makes better coffee, I believe, but I'd give up the slightly better taste for the convenience of being able to get the coffee pods anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 4510/25/2012

In my experience these all make awful, stale-tasting coffee, even with new pods.

And the amount of plastic waste you generate is just shameful. People worry about climate change, but then drive their SUVs to target to buy bottled water and Keurig pods. There's a connection.

by Anonymousreply 4610/25/2012

We got a Tassimo for xmas, tried it but the coffee tasted stale. PLUS the waste on the packaging of these pods are too much so we're selling it to a friend for cheap. Although the capuccino wasn't bad and I'm told the hot chocolates are good too. If you're in Toronto and want a Tassimom I'm told there are tons at your local goodwill and salvation army retail stores. So we're back to our Bodum vacuum coffee maker.

by Anonymousreply 4701/08/2013

Nespresso Hands Down.

by Anonymousreply 4801/08/2013

I have the Nespresso in every home.

by Anonymousreply 4901/08/2013

I've had my Keurig for 3 years now with no problems. If you purchase it from Bed, Bath and Beyond they will replace it with a new one with no questions. My mom took hers in when it stopped working and they just gave her a new one.

by Anonymousreply 5001/08/2013

CBTL is marketing a machine made by the Italian company Cafitalia. It does both brewed coffee (like Keurig) and espresso (like Nespresso).

by Anonymousreply 5101/08/2013

R41 is right,forget the overpriced junk and get a Bialetti.

by Anonymousreply 5201/08/2013

I have a Senseo and a podmaker, which gets old. It worked well, though you had to make two cups to get a decent sized cup of coffee, or double the pods and add water.

We got a Keurig at home and the big one for the office. No trouble with either so far after a year. It's sort of fun picking which coffee to use.

by Anonymousreply 5301/08/2013

R51, I have one and the espresso is surprisingly delicious. There are 3 kinds. I get the one with the tiger on the orange label.

by Anonymousreply 5401/08/2013

Doesn't Starbucks have a machine, too?

My big concern would be availability of the pods, though K-cups seem to be here to stay.

by Anonymousreply 5501/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.