Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Russel Stover chocolates

Ewwwww! So gross. Do people actually like these as opposed to Hershey's, Lindts, Ghiradelli, etc... I always see aisles stacked with Stovers yet no one ever seems to buy them.

by Anonymousreply 19601/01/2014

Love it. I used to buy the fudge all the damn time but they stopped making it or my area stopped selling it.

by Anonymousreply 111/24/2010

Honestly? Love it. Almost never have any, because I know it's junk and I've got better things to spend my money on, but Russel Stover is a guilty pleasure I'll partake in if any happens to be onhand.%0D %0D I think the passing of my grandmother's generation largely put an end to Russel Stover gift boxes in my family. But yum--I remember them fondly, even if, now, I know they're hardly top drawer.

by Anonymousreply 311/24/2010

Cadbury is still fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 411/24/2010

Wow--I misspelled Russell more than once. That should teach me to take an OP's word on something like that.

by Anonymousreply 511/24/2010

My Grandma always bought them when she came over for the holidays, and we kept up the tradition after she died. Because of that, I am sure I have a bias towards them that affects how I think they taste, but I like them. I will say quality can vary though, sometime a box will seem a bit stale - sometimes fresh.

by Anonymousreply 611/24/2010

They're much better than Hershey's. Now THOSE are inferior chocolates. I'm talking about the boxed chocolates; Hershey bars aren't that bad.

by Anonymousreply 711/24/2010

Hershey bars smell like vomit.

by Anonymousreply 811/24/2010

Their chocholate covered nuts are good

by Anonymousreply 911/24/2010

R6, I love them because my grandma always had them at her house.

by Anonymousreply 1011/24/2010

Sorry to sound like a Eurotrash Nazi, but if it isn't European, it isn't good chocolate. American chocolate if full of wax, corn syrup and preservatives -- it's disgusting!

by Anonymousreply 1111/24/2010

[quote]Hershey bars smell like vomit.

And seem to be made from some sort of wax derivative.

by Anonymousreply 1211/24/2010

I purchase several small gift boxes after Valentine's day at half price. They are good quality, so not sure why the hate.

Hershey's is horrible. In fact, most chocolate is inferior due to the change in ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 1311/24/2010

I like them. They remind me of a bygone era where chocolates were the perfect hostess gift.

by Anonymousreply 1411/24/2010

Just saw an interesting video about the Almond Roca craze in China:

by Anonymousreply 1511/24/2010

Do we prefer the Stover chocolate-covered cherries with whipped cherry "cream" inside, or the clear cherry mucus?

by Anonymousreply 1611/24/2010

I don't think Russel Stove chocolates contain even 10% chocolate.%0D %0D Not all American chocolate is shit. Just the mass produced stuff.%0D %0D I love Burdicks in Harvard Square, now in NYC also!%0D

by Anonymousreply 1711/24/2010

I grew up in the Midwest and they were considered a hot commodity back then (they even sold at Hallmark Cards!).

by Anonymousreply 1811/24/2010

That's because they are out of Kansas City. %0D Like many posters have stated, they are your granny's chocolates. But on the whole, they are not nearly as bad as Hersheys. Lindts are basically balls of fat that you might as well just stuff directly into your major arteries.

by Anonymousreply 1911/24/2010

They are real chocolate and not terrible.

by Anonymousreply 2011/24/2010

Fresh, locally made chocolates from a company that really knows how to make them are always the best. %0D %0D I think that as with a lot of American products the quality of Russel Stovers has gone down. Their cream centered chocolates are HEINOUS.

by Anonymousreply 2111/24/2010

But what percentage of cocoa mass R20?

by Anonymousreply 2211/24/2010

Soy lecithin is garbage. Lindt bars are better.

Chocolate, Cocoa Powder, Cocoa Butter, Sugar, Natural Bourbon Vanilla Beans.

by Anonymousreply 2311/24/2010

It does not give percentages but based on the listing of ingredients probably the same amount as Godiva.

by Anonymousreply 2411/24/2010

Which one of the many different Godiva products - all with different cocoa masses

by Anonymousreply 2511/24/2010

Since cocoa mass is your fetish I suggest you call every company that interests you and find out the specific cocoa mass for every chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 2611/24/2010

Don't need to anywhere else in the world,R26. It's on the packaging. You lot really can't be trusted with chocolate if you don't know the important facts abut it.

by Anonymousreply 2711/24/2010

Godiva sold out long ago. If you want high quality chocolate, you go with Valrhona, Scharffen Berger or Michel Cluizel.

by Anonymousreply 2811/24/2010

[quote]Since cocoa mass is your fetish I suggest you call every company that interests you and find out the specific cocoa mass for every chocolate.

And then blog it. Seriously, there are enough chocolate fanatics to sustain a decent blog.

by Anonymousreply 2911/24/2010

r22 = Cookoo for Cocoa Mass

by Anonymousreply 3011/24/2010

LOL, R30

by Anonymousreply 3111/24/2010

I've boycotted Russel Stover ever since 2006 when George Bush came to Kansas City to attend a fundraiser at the home of the Russel Stover family and they locked down the highways. Every exit for miles and miles was blocked by police playing soldier. I was trapped north of the river for two hours.

by Anonymousreply 3211/24/2010

The next big thing in chocolate out of K.C. is Christopher Elbow. These chocolates are exceptional.

by Anonymousreply 3311/24/2010

What about Whitmans ?

by Anonymousreply 3411/24/2010

Anybody like Seees?

by Anonymousreply 3511/24/2010

See's had a small store in the Houston Galleria. They had some candy with dark chocolate and pecans that I would treat myself to when I went shopping, for an energy boost only, of course.

by Anonymousreply 3611/24/2010

I'd eat that over Herhey's shit chocolate any time... Lindt is the bestest.

by Anonymousreply 3711/24/2010

I agree that one should buy from your local candy store; I always do this for gifts.%0D %0D I cannot, however, resist Russell Stover chocolates when they go on sale for as low as 4.00 a box.

by Anonymousreply 3811/24/2010

But their mansion in Kansas City is fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 3911/24/2010

[quote]The next big thing in chocolate out of K.C. is Christopher Elbow. These chocolates are exceptional%0D %0D Agree! Have you tried his ice cream? There is a new store on Main near the Plaza library.

by Anonymousreply 4011/24/2010

They used to be delish, I haven't had them in years. I do see them at all the drugstores.

When they had stores in Manhattan, I used to buy them for the Holidays at the store across from the Fifth Avenue library, I doubt it's still there.

I think candy store's went the way of Loft's and Schrafft's, ALL GONE!

Anyone remember Loft's? I loved their candy.

by Anonymousreply 4111/24/2010

Scharffen Berger is now owned by Hershey's who also bought famed San Francisco chocolatier Joseph Schmidt, which they promptly killed.

by Anonymousreply 4211/24/2010

Not all Hershey's chocolates suck. Let a Bliss melt in your mouth; you'll see what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 4311/24/2010

When Russell Stover bought Fanny Farmer it was the end for a decades-old brand.

by Anonymousreply 4411/24/2010

There was a taste test done on some tv show a couple of years ago and believe it or not - Russell Stover was the winner. Second runner up was Sees. Godiva and Dove did not rate so well.

by Anonymousreply 4511/24/2010

I've had to nibble practically every chocolate in a box of See's before I found one I could eat in its entirety. They're gross.

by Anonymousreply 4611/24/2010

It's the official white trash chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 4711/24/2010

"It's the official white trash chocolate."

by Anonymousreply 4811/24/2010

They're not that bad. Of course I'm vulnerable around a box of chocolates. These and an occasional Whitman Sampler box are great for a treat. It seems there used to be many more varieties available but Russell Stover and Whitman seem to dominate the drug store chains.%0D

by Anonymousreply 4911/24/2010

We have Fannie May. Their mints suck, but you'd suck a clit for the dark chocolate covered orange peel.

by Anonymousreply 5011/24/2010

"Hershey's is now made in Mexico."

It's probably a good thing. 3 mile island wasn't too far from their dairies.

by Anonymousreply 5111/24/2010

The Russell Stover factory store in Corsicana, Texas is indeed white trash central for anyone on I-45 trekking between Dallas and Houston. (And I stop there every trip.)

by Anonymousreply 5211/24/2010

R42, I didn't know that about SB. Oy.

by Anonymousreply 5311/24/2010

Has anyone in New York ever gone to Li-Lac? It's been around forever, first on Christopher St. and now elsewhere in the West Village. The treats there are all homemade and all scrumptious -- perhaps the best in the city.

by Anonymousreply 5411/24/2010

I loved Fannie May trinidads. Dark chocolate cream inside, white chocolate with coconut toasties outside. They would usually be in a freezer case, they were especially good still cold, on the thaw.

by Anonymousreply 5511/24/2010

The Chocolate Tree in Beaufort, SC - bliss! When filming "Forest Gump" Tom Hanks picked out his faves for the 'life is like a box of chocolates' scene to eat.

by Anonymousreply 5611/24/2010

See's are great for regular ol' chocolate but for a tastier (and pricier) treat, try Neuhaus chocolates. They have actual flavors not just different flavors of sweet.

by Anonymousreply 5711/24/2010

I remember seeing a billboard for a Russell Stover Factory store on the interstate (I think this was Florida). Of course I got off the exit, anticipating a nearby large showroom of a wide variety of confections, all at a discount.%0D Instead, the store was a good distance from the interstate, and it was a disappointing little drab store in a strip shopping center.To add insult to injury, the prices were not really discounted.

by Anonymousreply 5811/25/2010

I love Russell Stover's Caramel and Chewy Box.%0D %0D Is it high brow choclate ? No, but I still like it.%0D %0D RS's Roman Nougut is my favorite. If I could buy a box of just that variety I would.

by Anonymousreply 5911/25/2010

[quote]And seem to be made from some sort of wax derivative.

My mom used to call that 'summer chocolate'.

by Anonymousreply 6111/25/2010

[quote]So Russel Stover is yet another marker by which the elite define their boundaries.

[quote]Fuck your overcompensated asses.

Wow. Palin's little troll is a tad obsessed with "elites."

by Anonymousreply 6211/25/2010

[bold]FREEPER TROLL, beginning at R60.[/bold] %0D %0D %0D [italic]Also posting at...[/italic]%0D %0D %0D "Black Voters Will Help Re-Elect Obama" | R 15, R 26, R 33, R 35, R 39, R 45 (so far)%0D %0D %0D "If There's A Democratic Challenger To Obama For 2012" | R 45, R 48, R 50, R 57, R 64, R 68, R 71, R 76, R 78, R 83, R 91, R 94, R 96, R 98, R 121 (so far)%0D %0D %0D "Our National Palin Obsession" | R 18, R 22, R 25, R 28 (so far)%0D %0D "Two Of The Most Essential, Abhorrent, Intolerable Lies In George W. Bush's Memoir" | R 12, R 14, R 16, R 19 (so far)

by Anonymousreply 6311/25/2010

Lindt Milk Chocolate bars are so delicious. I never wanted to try Stover or Whitman's. They seemed like they'd taste like cardboard or fake.

by Anonymousreply 6411/25/2010

Green and Black is pretty good. As are Jacques Torres choc covered corn flakes.

by Anonymousreply 6511/25/2010

It's not just cocoa mass that's important. Most of the world's chocolate is made with the high producing Forastero cocoa bean, which is chocolately, but with no depth to its flavour.

Even some of the so-called best American chocolates can be dreadful -- even when good European couverture is used. Fillings are mostly overly sweetened to appeal to the American prole-palate, and almost never are their flavours fresh or 'top of the tongue'. My local chocolatier makes his stuff right in front of you, so you can sit with a hot chocolate watching him work with fresh cream and fruit, etc. Bliss.

Although I had to spit out Hershey's heavily salted brown wax when I tasted it, there's actually a chocolate that's worse. Has anyone here ever tasted Swedish mass produced chocolate? They must just wave a cocoa bean over it. It tastes like brown LARD. Horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 6611/25/2010

The best soup comes out of a can too!

by Anonymousreply 6711/25/2010

R21, if you live in the Kansas City area, they are local.

by Anonymousreply 6811/25/2010

I haven't had them in years but they used to be excellent, one of the best out there short of real Belgium chocolates.%0D %0D Although to this day I crave the taste of plain a plain old Hershey bar even though I know these days it's pure crap.%0D

by Anonymousreply 6911/25/2010

You can eat Almond Roca if you've ever cleaned out a litter box.

by Anonymousreply 7011/25/2010

Are they like Starbursts, the candy that tastes the same whether it's a week old or 10 years old?

Melt 'em or freeze 'em...Russell Stover chocolates retain their shapes and waxy tastes.

Except for that cherry thing, that gets all crystallized and icky inside.

by Anonymousreply 7111/25/2010

R65, where did you buy the chocolate-covered cornflakes? That sounds really good.

by Anonymousreply 7211/25/2010

Totally agree with r64. The best of the best!

by Anonymousreply 7311/27/2010

[quote]There was a taste test done on some tv show a couple of years ago and believe it or not - Russell Stover was the winner. Second runner up was Sees. Godiva and Dove did not rate so well.

I would not give much credence to the tastes of TV show audiences. Most people have nursery tastes, have not progressed beyond that and don't have any desire to do so.

America's Test Kitchens taste-tested hot cocoa last week on their show. The audience chose Swiss Miss. It was kind of sad. Kimball seemed surprised the adults in the audience voted for Swiss Miss. He thought that only children liked it.

Kimball and the people who work in the ATK kitchens chose Godiva. I wasn't aware Godiva made cocoa, and they said it wasn't readily available.

As for Hershey's, I think they overroast their beans because their chocolate always has a slightly burnt taste. If they've moved to Mexico, it means their standards will be even lower than they are now. Lack of sanitation is a major problem there, along with lower standards all the way around. The FDA is a total failure, but even it is better than Mexican quality control, which is non-existent.

by Anonymousreply 7411/27/2010

I grew up on Russel Stovers and still love the cherry cordials and the maple nut cremes.

Nowadays Moonstruck are my favorite chocolatiers. They have a Mayan truffle which is out of this world

by Anonymousreply 7511/27/2010

When I take a road trip across the country next summer, I am going to visit this place:

by Anonymousreply 7611/28/2010

I think they suck its nasty crap chocolates and working for the company is a joke i was a full time lead and they wouldn't do a simple switch i wanted to take a step down from being lead so i could go to school and they took 5 months and no reimbursement for gas for taking the deposit to the bank everyday and having 2 people working shifts by them self's for months with the economy being so bad and trying to get a job these days is not easy i just could not work there any more to much stress for little pay very disappointed with the company i will never buy there candy after the way i was treated :(

by Anonymousreply 7707/25/2011

Hershey's is gross by my standards. I recall years ago my grandmother used to present our family with a large box of Brach;s chocolates at the holidays. Those chocolate covered caramels will pull every last filling out of your mouth! I like Lindt. And I kind of got addicted to other Swiss chocolate while in Geneva last year.

by Anonymousreply 7807/25/2011

Who here on this site had an older family member who re-used the boxes?

by Anonymousreply 7907/25/2011

Whitman's Samplers are better.

by Anonymousreply 8007/25/2011

I love the Russell Stover Raspberry Whip Eggs. Every year, I buy tonnes of them so that I'll have them for a while; and every year, they are gone a week or two after Easter. Same with Passover Coke.

by Anonymousreply 8107/25/2011

They used to be amazing. These days plastic tastig shit.

by Anonymousreply 8207/25/2011

Me too, R81. I buy all of the flavors. Love them.

by Anonymousreply 8307/25/2011

American chocolate is as awful as American coffee. It's amazing the palate of the majority of the country is still so unsophisticated. I laughed at the person who typed that Cadburys was still good. Cadburys chocolate varies from country to country. New Zealand Cadburys is the only variety that's still edible. American Cadburys is made by Hersheys. But honestly, why would you touch the stuff when you can have good European chocolate?

by Anonymousreply 8407/26/2011

Russell Stover chocolates are the official chocolates of the blue hairs. I've never encountered these in a home with residents under 50.

by Anonymousreply 8507/26/2011

As far as mainstream, mass-produced chocolate candies, Stover isn't that bad.

Though, like a lot of people, I'm probably just fondly remembering Stover from family events and the holidays. And, when I was a kid, chocolate was chocolate, candy was candy. I didn't care if it was "good" or "bad" chocolate or anywhere in between. I still basically don't, but then again I eat very little chocolate.

Gays will be snobs about anything, won't we? Chocolate snobs, seriously?

by Anonymousreply 8607/26/2011

It's not about being a snob. It's about living well.

by Anonymousreply 8707/26/2011

I was so excited to find out that Russell Stover makes those orange jelly sticks dipped in dark chocolate. You used to be able to get them at department stores that had candy counters, like Sears. (Yes, I'm a prole.) It will be a nice nostalgic treat.

by Anonymousreply 8807/26/2011

[quote]It's not about being a snob. It's about living well. Oh puh-leez. Gay men love trying to be aristocratic and snobs about everything. It stems from the insecurity that was instilled in us as we grew up. Almost all of us who live in major cities now moved here from bumfuck middle America. Being a snob about things allows us to put on airs and act better than what we came from. Hausfraus, fly-over states, bitchy comments about liking anything that is popular, etc. These are all veiled attempts to sound better than the dirty we perceive ourselves as having come from. The funny thing is you don't realize how bourgeois it actually makes you sound. Really? Trying to make yourself better than someone because of the damned chocolate you eat?

by Anonymousreply 8907/26/2011

This brand of Chocolate is not gross. They are actually better than average, but too high in price. They are not anywhere near Lindt quality, but Hersey? That is made is Mexico toxic waste compared to Russel Stover.%0D %0D OP has an agenda, I wonder if he lost his job at a chocolate company recently?

by Anonymousreply 9007/26/2011

I just got 2 boxes as hostess gift for Thanksgiving and I think they taste like chlorine or maybe cardboard. Gross. See's used to be a favorite, but now they use vanillin and I hate the flavor of it.

by Anonymousreply 9111/25/2012

Can anyone comment on the chocolate sold at Aldi?

by Anonymousreply 9211/25/2012

The Bourgeois Troll (R89) made one of the best posts I've ever read on DL.

by Anonymousreply 9311/25/2012

Russell Stover (however they're actually spelled) are for the unsophisticated tastebuds who figure chocolates out of a box means they're a step above coming from the wrappers.

by Anonymousreply 9411/25/2012

I like the Aldi chocolate bars with almonds. Decent quality German chocolate and much better than Hershey's. I haven't been to the store in a while but they used to be really cheap, about $1.50 or so for a 5 oz. bar. I haven't tried their other chocolates but they get good blog reviews.

Their $9 knockoff of Bailey's is really good, too and is the only booze I've bought there that I enjoyed.

by Anonymousreply 9511/25/2012

I used to love Russell Stover French Chocolate Mints, but haven't had them in years. Off to CVS to see if they have any.

by Anonymousreply 9611/25/2012

When I was a kid, Whitman's sampler was the holiday gift old ladies gave to their daughters-in-law. I don't think I saw Russell Stover in shops until I was a teen.

I am old. I remember Loft's and Schrafts (sp?) and I remember when Brach's sold a lot of chocolates (bridge mix, chocolate stars, etc). The only time I see Brach's now is at Halloween. They make most of the candy corn.

I buy those onesies-- Lindt balls they sell separately at some store counters. I like the white chocolate truffle. A lot of places used to sell Ghirardelli squares separately at their checkout counter -- Target used to. They don't anymore. It seems now Ghirardhelli wants everyone to pay for their overpriced bags of squares.

Does any other old person out there remember the homemade chocolate craze of the early 80s? It was a frau thing. They would make chocolate lollipops at home and try to sell them in the workplace. They had "adult" lollipops shaped like penises, breasts and vaginas. The chocolate was awful. It tasted stale.

by Anonymousreply 9711/25/2012

In some families, fruitcakes are the Christmas regift. In my family, it was boxes of chocolate-covered cherries and chocolate-covered orange jelly rings. It was discovered that my aunt's insane, brain-damaged-and-partially-paralyzed-from-a-car-accident white trash husband liked these things, so she would get something like 10 boxes from everyone who was getting rid of their "gifts."

My family was trash, but my aunt's husband's family was trashier. They were trashiest, in fact. Front yards filled with broken down cars, boats, truck parts. Everyone had false teeth by age 18 and none of them wore their bottom plate. Beer for breakfast. The ladies, that is. The men had hard liquor in their instant coffee.

by Anonymousreply 9811/25/2012

[quote]Sorry to sound like a Eurotrash Nazi, but if it isn't European, it isn't good chocolate. American chocolate if full of wax, corn syrup and preservatives -- it's disgusting!

Only mass produced chocolate is. There are several individually owned small chocolate shops in my area that have excellent chocolate. I have one near me that has a dark chocolate truffle with a hint of cayenne. Heavenly.

by Anonymousreply 9911/25/2012

The filled Godiva chocolates, all dark please.

by Anonymousreply 10011/25/2012

R35 For me, it's See's or nothing. If it's good enough for Warren Buffett, it's good enough for me.

Do the Whitman's Samplers (now made by RS) still come in those heavy yellow boxes?

by Anonymousreply 10111/25/2012

Mmmmm ... Whitman's Sampler from Woolworth's that has taken on the mothball smell of the rest of the store.

by Anonymousreply 10211/25/2012

I saw someone this Black Friday at the mall carrying a gigantic box of Russell Stover chocolates. The box was 4 feet tall by 3 feet. It had a Sears sticker on it. I guess Sears put the sticker on it as proof of payment since they didn't have a bag big enough for it.

by Anonymousreply 10311/25/2012

My dog loves Russell Rovers.

by Anonymousreply 10411/25/2012

R103 They should've included a gift certificate for insulin.

by Anonymousreply 10511/25/2012

I like the Lindt Intense Pear bar and think the name is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 10611/25/2012

Godiva is now made by Hersey. Will never spend a penny on that over-hyped shit

by Anonymousreply 10711/25/2012

Nothing worse than Pot of Gold. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 10811/25/2012

The company’s three brands – Russell Stover, Whitman's and Pangburn's – account for more than 60 percent of all boxed chocolate sales in the United States. The company manufacturers nearly 100 million pounds of chocolate annually.

They are a good size company.

by Anonymousreply 10911/25/2012

Our Black and Latino help always enjoy a box for Christmas

by Anonymousreply 11011/25/2012

Russel Stover is cheap chocolate for Americans, marketed as better than average. It is not better. It is a garbage product.

Quality Euro chocolate is readily available and just as affordable, no need to buy garbage. Ikea has a brand of European Dark and Milk chocolate that is significantly better than any American commercial brand and at the same price. Lindt is a bit more, but significantly better than all American commercial bands.

If you buy Hersey, Russel Stover, Black Magic, Turtles etc. you are a typical TV brainwashed American. Just go to McDonalds and call it fine cuisine too.

by Anonymousreply 11111/25/2012

If it's got caramel in it, I want it.

coconut, NO.

jelly center, GROSS!

nuts, don't have to have it.

caramel, GIVE IT TO ME!!

by Anonymousreply 11211/25/2012

I used to love Russell Stover when I was a kid (along with I think it was called Loft's), but when I started eating otehr chocolates, it became inedible. Somebody earlier mentioned Cadbury, but that has to be the sweetest tasting chocolate ever. Even thinking of it makes me shudder.

For chocolates with soft centers (especially the dark chocolate ones), a good inexpensive brand is Sees.

by Anonymousreply 11311/25/2012

My uncles brought me raspberry cremes and orange cremes from Ye Goodie Shoppe in Keene, NH. They are lovely.

by Anonymousreply 11411/25/2012

I don't like russel stover. what about dove chocolates? are they shit too?

and ritter sport? i like the dark choc w/ hazelnut.

by Anonymousreply 11511/25/2012

There used to be a shop in my neighborhood that sold marzipan in all kinds of shapes. It was empty of customers most of the year. But at Christmas time, there were lines out the door and halfway up the block. I knew someone from DC who would fly up to NY after Thanksgiving to buy their marzipan as Christmas gifts.

When the street got gentrified, the shop moved. But the rent was too high and it closed.m

by Anonymousreply 11611/25/2012

As a child, I was completely disgusted by a household hints newspaper column that suggested taking a bobby pin to dig out a tiny sample from the underside of boxed chocolates and smoothing over the hole and returning it to the box if the flavor was not appealing.

by Anonymousreply 11711/26/2012

One of the top five I Love Lucy episodes was inspired by the See's Candy factory.

See's is available everywhere now online.

by Anonymousreply 11811/26/2012

What's wrong with that R117? I do that all the time to the boxes of chocolates people send to our office as gifts.

by Anonymousreply 11911/26/2012

I've never tried Russell Stover but I LOVE Lindt, especially their milk chocolate bars and milk chocolate Lindor truffles, SO good.

by Anonymousreply 12011/26/2012

Anyone who can't appreciate Stover's chocolate covered coconut nests is someone I do not wish to know. Oh, and pretentious sow at R111---suck it!

by Anonymousreply 12111/26/2012

Russell Stover is good enough chocolate as is Whitman's but I tend to think that more local candymakers are better since Russell Stover and Whitman's are more like mass produced drug store candy. The thing is, chocolates are expensive and fattening so I almost never buy them myself, I will take samples of other people's if they offer though. If you are in the Erie, Pennsylvania area, Pulakos candies are very good and made originally by a Greek candy maker. Also in that area there was Stefanelli's candies, but don't know if they re still in business. Not sure if See's is nationwide, but here in southern California it is definitely a step up from Whitman's or Russell Stover. Godiva is over-rated and overpriced.

by Anonymousreply 12211/26/2012

Russell Stover is colored wax.

Wow.....Americans have been dumbed down!

by Anonymousreply 12311/26/2012

Russell Stover is something that old people liked in the 70s...I remember getting some for my grandmother all the times and it being sold in Walgreens. Chocolate like Godiva was considered "too fancy" and Rusell Stovers was the "go-to" candy back then,,, didn't know people still ate it...

by Anonymousreply 12411/26/2012

I miss Brach's chocolate stars.

by Anonymousreply 12511/26/2012

Ha, r125!

I remember those.

by Anonymousreply 12611/26/2012

How dare anyone say Hershey's chocolate is on the same level as Lindor truffles.

by Anonymousreply 12711/26/2012

R117 What's even more disgusting is that you were wearing bobby pins.

by Anonymousreply 12811/26/2012

There was a guy at our company, he worked there 45 years and retried last September and on his last day this is what he got for a "parting gift."

by Anonymousreply 12911/27/2012

Why have so many posters spelled Russell Stover with only one L?

by Anonymousreply 13011/27/2012

Pangburn's pecan turtles were great. I did not know Whitmans had purchased the company.

by Anonymousreply 13111/27/2012

I love Turtles

by Anonymousreply 13211/27/2012

Try the chocolates at aldi - especially around Christmas. Amazing quality for the price!!

by Anonymousreply 13311/27/2012

No Aldis in California. Care to share?

by Anonymousreply 13411/27/2012

Godiva is neiher owned nor made by Hershey.

by Anonymousreply 13511/27/2012

The RS nutty, chewy, crispy mix is pretty darn tasty.

by Anonymousreply 13611/27/2012

I picked up a couple 5.5 oz boxes of the RS dark chocolate covered orange jellies for $3 to save for Christmas. Walgreen's has the RS small Christmas goodies on sale for 29 cents this week so now is a good time to stock up on the things they do well, like the coconut wreaths and the pecan delights that are better IMO than Turtles.

Sure, boutique chocolate is better, but some of us are on a budget here. Cheap thrills.

by Anonymousreply 13711/28/2012

I may be wrong, but it makes perfect sense to me that Mexico would be a great place to make chocolate. They gave the world chocolate in the first place, didn't they?!

by Anonymousreply 13811/28/2012

People certainly are opinionated about chocolates. Really. Ignoring the snob quotient, it's all in what you like. European choc. is superb, Hershey is superb, Russell Stover is superb ... You who have such vile opinions should stop puffing yourselves up. My, don't we think well of ourselves! You show that you don't really know anything at all. Do you have a special analysis machine that tells you how much wax is in a given chocolate? Pity your poor palate, waxing opinionated and getting worse.

by Anonymousreply 13912/21/2012

It is not about the Mexicans giving the world chocolate, it is the American corporations cutting corners and wages by paying lower wages to desperately poor Mexican (and other Nations) citizens, to make even more profit for Wall Street. Using weak local environmental laws to dump toxic byproducts in the Mexican environment, weak labor laws to abuse workers more and questionable quality controls on suspiciously collected raw materials.

Mexican owned and operated Chocolate companies, likely make exceptional Chocolate. But don't confuse these Companies with ruthless American Corporations like Herseys and Russel Stover.

by Anonymousreply 14012/21/2012

Does anyone remember those huge chocolate covered cherries with white cream inside? and who made them? My mother used to buy those around the holidays, disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 14112/21/2012

No American chocolate is good. It wouldn't even qualify as chocolate legally in Europe.

The best chocolates come from Belgium and Switzerland. If you want good chocolate I'd stick with chocolate from those countries, though there is SOME good chocolate from other countries, too. If you haven't tried Leonidas Belgian chocolates, they have some shops in the US and La Maison du Chocolat in Manhattan is terrific, too.

by Anonymousreply 14212/21/2012

Yes darling! Pierre Marcolini from Belgium is one of the best that I have ever had. Leonidas is actually considered (in Belgium) to be on the low end if you can believe it . But compared to The American stuf...

by Anonymousreply 14312/21/2012

Someone reacted to my gift of handpicked Godiva chocolates with "I like Russel Stover". She was the cheapest old biddy and used to buy everyone (including her granddaughter) scads of presents but all from the dollar store. She's back to being alone during the Holidays.

by Anonymousreply 14412/21/2012

See's now puts high fructose corn syrup in their candy. I think they were the last hold out amongst the big candy makers.

The Aztecs were the first consumers of chocolate but they liked it super bitter as a test of manhood for their warriors.

For us to sweeten chocolate is an insult to the Goddess Teoquatolatan.

We are cursing ourselves and our lives when we eat chocolate candy.

by Anonymousreply 14512/21/2012

Hook me up with a Whitman's Sampler.

by Anonymousreply 14612/21/2012

American Chocolate is like Polish Fashion or Chinese Engineering.

by Anonymousreply 14712/21/2012

[quote] She's back to being alone during the Holidays.

This poster will be bitching when she dies and finds she wrote him out of her will

by Anonymousreply 14812/21/2012

I've never tasted Russell Stover's but as far as mass market brands go, Dove is pretty good. It's a hell of a lot better than Hershey's, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 14912/21/2012

We France we ave ow you say zee choco-lat-a? no?

Oh i thinks you make with the spam? No?

by Anonymousreply 15012/21/2012

Mexico produces MUCH better chocolates than the US does.

by Anonymousreply 15112/22/2012

DL = Fatso Central

by Anonymousreply 15212/22/2012

Herseys Chocolate has become inedible since they moved manufacturing to Mexico. It is not the same product at all.

by Anonymousreply 15312/22/2012

These are awful. They are even worse than the Brach Stars

by Anonymousreply 15412/22/2012

Americans are used to eating brown wax and thinking it is chocolate.

Rumor has it they also like frozen beef parts, pureed into patties with cheese flavored toppings, covered in sugary dressing, served on a yellow bun in a plastic box.

by Anonymousreply 15512/22/2012

The 12oz boxes of RS are on sale at Walgreen's for $3.99. I bought two for me and one for my ex's mum. I know she loves them.

by Anonymousreply 15612/22/2012

The Whitman Sampler was my favorite before I became diabetic. They had a chart to solve Forrest Gump's problem. Now that they have been taken over by Russell Stover, they are probably not the same.

Most products in America have gone way down hill in quality during my lifetime. Everything is made with high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar, restructured meat protein or pink slime instead of meat, slightly cheese flavored gunk instead of real cheese. And you can't expect to get real sour cream for your baked potato, or real cream for your coffee in even expensive restaurants.

I am happy to be old, and glad that I had the chance to enjoy good food, comfortable well-made shoes and clothes, dining at non-sticky tables covered by a tablecloth, and eating good non-artificial food served by a clean waitress who spoke English.

by Anonymousreply 15712/22/2012

Now I want chocolate. Thanks, op.

by Anonymousreply 15812/22/2012

I knew a girl named

Velveta Chocolate (pronounced, Chock-o-lot-ta")

by Anonymousreply 15912/23/2012

I also grew up in KC and Russel Stovers were very popular. But, I have to say, once you've tried Moonstruck, you'll be hooked forever.

by Anonymousreply 16012/23/2012

It's true R157. It's increasingly a challenge to find pure quality anywhere. Money doesn't guarantee it. I just paid a small fortune for expensive leather reupolstering and it all has to be trashed because the dye was toxic. There's a lack of care and quality everywhere.

Not so long ago stuff like cotton sheets were the bog standard. Now pure cotton is labelled as some kind of luxury.

Carpets are made with toxic glues and wood furniture is toxic chipboards. I'd rather have less of everything as long as it was of good quality. Same goes with food.

by Anonymousreply 16112/23/2012

Russell Stover was one of the first mass-marketed boxes of chocolates, so they will always represent a bit of nostalgia. According to wiki, they've been selling boxed chocolates since the 1920s.

Stover is also American-made (I've been to one of their factories in rural Virginia) as well as family-owned. The family that owns them also makes Whitman Chocolates (for which nostalgia is part of their brand).

Yes, there are better chocolates. But they are affordable and bring back memories of grandma.

by Anonymousreply 16212/23/2012

So you're saying your grandma was a cheap ass, who ate chocolate flavoured wax?

I feel bad for you, my grandmother loved me.

by Anonymousreply 16312/23/2012

Russell Stover candies are much better than Hershey's. And they are delicious. They are hand-made in small batches.

by Anonymousreply 16401/18/2013

I just ate two RS caramel hearts. They were pretty good. I can't wait until the raspberry eggs come out though. I could eat them by the caseful.

by Anonymousreply 16501/18/2013

I just tasted a piece in Whitman's chocolate samplers. Very chemically taste to it, like frieken windex! I looked it up to complain and found that Russell Stover owns them, figures. Disgusting taste, the whole box is a waste. We got it for Christmas too. This sucks. I will never buy Russell Stover's or their brands.

by Anonymousreply 16612/29/2013

Because I am a sad alone, I eat two or three boxes of the Russell Stover strawberry cream hearts around Valentine's Day, they are my secret shame.

by Anonymousreply 16712/29/2013

Got a box of Stovers for Christmas. They all tasted exactly the same (the orange creme ones tasted like the coconut creme ones, etc) and had no chocolate flavor. The person who gave it to me will get his own box of Stovers as a thank you, I promise.

by Anonymousreply 16812/29/2013

Throwing Chuao chocolates into the mix- really nice.

Empathizing w R157 - America really used to be the real deal, but standards have plummeted in many areas.

by Anonymousreply 16912/29/2013

Russel Stover chocolates = Meemaw candy.

Seriously--BOTH of my grandmothers ALWAYS had RS candy or a Whitman's sampler in the house. And at Christmas, my maternal grandma would have that nasty ribbon candy--that red & green candy that tasted like cloves. BLEEEEECH!

by Anonymousreply 17012/29/2013

I agree with r93.

by Anonymousreply 17112/31/2013

Brits love American chocolate because it's sweeter than their shit.

by Anonymousreply 17212/31/2013

Godiva is NOT owned by Hershey. It is owned by a Turkish conglomerate.

by Anonymousreply 17312/31/2013

Dis 'n' dat about candy and chocolate

I remember the Hershey's tag line from the 1970s: "Hershey's ... the Great American Chocolate Bar."

Hershey bars got more GIs laid in post WWII Europe than anything else.

Americans and Europeans have different tastes when it come to chocolate. Americans prefer milk chocolate (which made Milton Hershey very rich), while Europeans prefer dark ("semi-sweet") chocolate. Europeans like hazelnuts with their chocolate, while Americans like peanut butter.

The head of the family that owns Stover's once said something along the lines of "There is only so much you can do with chocolate, caramel, nuts and nougat. The rest comes from the packaging."

by Anonymousreply 17412/31/2013

Always receive a box from a good friend. Chocolates that do not sell at Christmas are probably under go new wrapping for Valentine's Day, if still not sold, new wrapping for Easter, if still not sold, new wrapping for Mother/Father's Day, full circle just like the (in)famous fruitcake.

by Anonymousreply 17512/31/2013

RS chocolates make for some of the best passive aggressive Xmas gifts.

by Anonymousreply 17612/31/2013

R11 is right. I've never liked Hershey, always got that smell of vomit that R8 mentioned, but I didn't realise how bad the general quality was until I left the US to work in Europe. The worst mass-produced chocolate in Europe is better than any of the premium US brands. We've accepted shit as the standard for so long that people actually believe that it's good. Advertising works!

by Anonymousreply 17712/31/2013

Stovers was good quality way back when, I loved the chocolate covered orange slices.

I interviewed for a job with Stovers in Kansas City in 1978, the building was so cool all wood paneled and brass elevators. They were cheap bastards so I didn't take the job.

My grandmother would bring a 5lb box of their candy at Christmas, no one else in my family liked candy so my grandmother and I ate all of the caramels first and then stuck our thumbs in the bottom of the other candies to see what they were. Yeah, granny and I were rude little pigs.

by Anonymousreply 17812/31/2013

While in Switzerland I consumed an entire box of chocolates with various liquor centers.

by Anonymousreply 17912/31/2013

The French Chocolate Mints are still pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 18012/31/2013

My brother works at a warehouse and gave me a box of the English Cadbury's fruit and nut bars. I haven't tried them yet, because I recoil at the words "vegetable fats added". Why do so many European companies use those fats? I used to shop at a Polish market but rarely bought the chocolates because they all had nasty hydrogenated oil in them!

by Anonymousreply 18112/31/2013

Oh, come off the Russell Stover's bashing! The chocolate is delicious and I've enjoyed it for years. It's always a special treat to have in the house and for company. They make the finest chocolate covered cherry cordials, as well.

by Anonymousreply 18201/01/2014

Chocolate is very expensive these days, and the price will continue to increase. The reason Russell Stover's chocolate sits on the shelves is because MOST quality chocolate sits there, as well. Besides, many people can't afford to buy chocolate these days.

by Anonymousreply 18301/01/2014

Whatever happened to Fanny Farmer candies? They were wonderful and I adored the packaging. It was so simple and elegant.

by Anonymousreply 18401/01/2014

I'm Swiss. We take chocolate seriously. It is estimated that we eat approx. 20 lbs of chocolate per year - per person. No, we're not fat and our life expectancy is longer than USA.

For those we have not yet visited Geneva this is a good enough reason to plan a trip - a chocolate walking tour of the city.

Typically chocolate is made on site.. unbelievable variety. My favorites, Chocolates called "iced" in French feel cool in the mouth at first then melt delectably. And chocolate here is not so sweet as in the USA and other places. I've tried RS in the States. I had to remove it from my mouth. Just awful.

by Anonymousreply 18501/01/2014

[R-185] Well, Swiss Miss, tearfully, as a member of the American proletariat, I am unable fly first class to the hallowed mecca of Geneva at this time. It is with supreme regret that I cannot partake of your seriously crafted and highly superior Swiss chocolate at $200.00 a box. A pity. Furthermore, it is one of the deepest of sadnesses of my economically humble life that I am forced to indulge Russell Stover chocolate.

I am deeply mortified that your mouth was violated by a Russell Stover chocolate. What a tragedy! I am so pleased, however, that you survived your traumatic, heart wrenching and injurious ordeal. It is with utter relief that you took refuge within the sacred walls of your richly appointed chalet. Being beautifully ensconced in the Swiss Alps assured your return to full health and happiness. Lastly, I pray that the sight of a Russell Stover box does not induce Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 18601/01/2014

R186 Thank you for your concern.

We don't have Walgreens here so no worries about running into RS.

Here's wishing all the best for 2014.

by Anonymousreply 18701/01/2014

[R-185] - I'll smuggle a box of RS over the border. So, meet me at the Matterhorn on New Years Eve, 2014 and we'll declare a truce. Besides, I have the hots for continental men.

Happy New Year and thanks for your delightful response.

by Anonymousreply 18801/01/2014

How uplifting, [R-189].

by Anonymousreply 19001/01/2014

I would eat Russell Stover before I would eat his chocolates.

by Anonymousreply 19101/01/2014

They are an improvement over Whitman's.

by Anonymousreply 19201/01/2014

I remember Brach's and Loft's chocolates and they always tasted stale.

by Anonymousreply 19301/01/2014

Chocolate should be so rich that only a small amount of it will completely satisfy you.

by Anonymousreply 19401/01/2014

Like men, R-194?

by Anonymousreply 19501/01/2014

Geez guys I don't know if I'll ever be able to enjoy my Hershey Bar again. Thanks a lot. On a positive note I'm living the class warfare that has erupted on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 19601/01/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!