Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do TV producers purposely prevent male bulge?

Looking at a variety of shows over the weekend and this week, it struck me how rarely you see a prominent bulge in a male actor's pants. Yes, occasionally, but not that much. Granted, plenty of actors don't have the meat to produce a big bulge, but I still would think it would be more common. In situations where the actor is big-dicked and bulging, do the studios purposely hide it by having them tuck or simply having them wear baggy pants and/or pants with a low crotch.

by Anonymousreply 13803/12/2015

In the past, they worked hard to do it. Adam West on Batman complained that the producers spent more time trying to hide his bulge than they did on scripts. On the Wild Wild West, Bob Conrad had to wear what almost amounted to a girdle to keep his bulge from showing through those super-tight pants. And on Tarzan, the undergarment in Ron Ely's loincloth had to be stretched over his groin to make sure that no sign of a male organ ever appeared.

by Anonymousreply 1111/18/2010

Bulge was to men what tits/cleavage were to women, back in the day (the 1970s). The pic at r12 is the sort of sight we used to see everyday. It was great.

by Anonymousreply 1311/18/2010

I see bulges all the time on TV but they're not the type that could be considered disgusting. I mean, men have penises. Some men have huge penises that can't be wadded up or constrained to the point that they're not visible. It's a fact of life that you're going to see crotch bulges at some point in your life so I think the producers realize this. However, I think there's a limit to how far they'll go with it. If some guy comes in to go on camera and he looks like he's got a grapefruit in his britches I imagine someone in production would say "uh, I think we're either gonna have to shoot this guy from the waist up, or get him a long tunic to wear". When a bulge crosses over from normal to offensive action has to be taken.

by Anonymousreply 1911/18/2010

[quote]In situations where the actor is big-dicked and bulging, do the studios purposely hide it by having them tuck or simply having them wear baggy pants and/or pants with a low crotch. Today, broadcasters have voluntarily banded together to eliminate the heinous display of male bulges. Many Hollywood stars are offered lucrative contracts if they agree to castration and penile-ectomy to assure a smooth and inoffensive crotch.

by Anonymousreply 2011/18/2010

Disgusting? Offensive?

by Anonymousreply 2111/18/2010

Back in the 70s though we all wore tight jeans - showing off a bulge and a nice ass. But with rap and ghetto the style for baggy pants and trousers falling down became the new look, so unsexy! %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2211/18/2010

It's like TV has been invaded by Ken Dolls!

by Anonymousreply 2311/18/2010

Yes R21, some men walk around with such humongous bulges (obviously meant to entice and/or alarm others) that they are offensive and disgusting.

I saw a guy at the market a few weeks back getting out of a brand new BMW. He had on those skin tight spandex shorts and a spandex top. It literally looked as if he has stuffed a cantaloupe in his crotch. He was prancing around the store making sure everyone could see it. I'm sorry but that is disgusting and offensive even to me, a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 2511/18/2010

Hide ya kids, hide ya wife!

by Anonymousreply 2611/18/2010

Interesting, R24 as they forgot to blur one of the pics and the guy in the gray shorts isn't even hung. %0D %0D For those here who work in TV and movies: if a guy shows up on set showing a bulge does the director speak to the actor and/or costume people and get it "fixed?" That guy on Mad Men is always showing bulge off-set -- even in loose suit pants.

by Anonymousreply 2711/18/2010

They do what they think they can get away with, and the network censors take it from there.

by Anonymousreply 2811/18/2010

[quote]I'm sorry but that is disgusting and offensive even to me, a gay man.

You're not a same-sex attracted guy. You're obviously an effeminate - a gender disordered person.

by Anonymousreply 2911/18/2010

I agree with you, R25. It is not classy.

by Anonymousreply 3011/18/2010

r10, Barbara is into dinge.

by Anonymousreply 3111/18/2010

WEHT "Broadcast Standards" departments at the networks?

by Anonymousreply 3211/18/2010

[quote]Michael Keaton was a guest, wearing tight jeans and sporting a huge bulge. He also slouched back in the chair and spread his legs as wide as he could, completely flaunting it. Thank the Lord.%0D %0D %0D %0D Yea, but it was Michael Keaton...

by Anonymousreply 3411/18/2010

This is why I despise US football TV broadcasts. It's a blatant conspiracy to avoid crotch and ass shots.. in football!

ALL cameramen are told to pan up to avoid crotch and ass shots, and the players are all wearing tights!

Fuck that. I watch rugby.

by Anonymousreply 3511/18/2010

OP, because producers don't like to share their boyfriends' bounty with the world.

by Anonymousreply 3611/18/2010

Didn't Burt Ward discuss this extensively in his book about playing Robin?

by Anonymousreply 3711/18/2010

Uh since when do the networks avoid shooting football players below the waist? ARE YOU NUTS! Watch any football game and that's all you see is asses and crotches. He'll you can tell what brand jockstrap most of the players are wearing.

Don't you feel foolish for saying such a stupid thing? No, well you should.

by Anonymousreply 3911/18/2010

I dunno, OP. My late Mother called "The Big Valley, "The Big Crotch".

by Anonymousreply 4111/18/2010

Will the DVD version of 'Survivor' have the unedited male bulges?

by Anonymousreply 4211/18/2010

Just looked at the Reubens clip from earlier in the thread.... my god! what's going on there? You'd think the director would have picked up on it - it is a children's show after all.

by Anonymousreply 4311/18/2010

This is the new America - post Reagan, Moral Majority, Christian Coalition America. What OP, you think it's 1975 or something? Those great tight pant bulge days are long gone. We have hope, though. Jon Hamm.

by Anonymousreply 4511/18/2010

I blame Janet's nipple for this!

by Anonymousreply 4711/18/2010

Could you provide some scientific evidence to support that theory, R46?

by Anonymousreply 4811/18/2010

In my time, I would have proved this thread wrong

by Anonymousreply 4911/18/2010

Catch a rerun of Bonanza, Little Joe wasn't little at all. Medical Center When Dr Gannon was in his surgical scrubs. Now that was must see tv.

by Anonymousreply 5011/18/2010

I knew a guy who would dress up his cock with a larger latex version.

His cock was fine, "normal" in size, but he was a professional photographer and image was very important to him. He said that he liked the way people treated him when they thought he had a big cock. He went around with a virtual Hollywood loaf all the livelong day.

I guess it was realistic enough in his trousers - sure it looked real, and if you brushed up against it you wouldn't know the difference.

So just because you see something on television, or even in person, doesn't make it real. Unless you can hold it in your hand, or, if you aren't worried about being a star, both hands, it could just be an illusion.

by Anonymousreply 5111/18/2010

r51: i have stuffed a couple of times just for kicks. and it's totally true: people (men, women, gay, straight) notice and they do treat you just that much better.

by Anonymousreply 5211/18/2010

Loads of bulge fun to be had here!

by Anonymousreply 5311/18/2010

Who the fuck is in R12's link?

by Anonymousreply 5411/18/2010

R54, that looks like A. Martinez to me. He usually sported a magnificent mound of love in his jeans back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 5611/18/2010

Fred Dryer%0D %0D John Schneider

by Anonymousreply 5711/18/2010

@ 0:48

by Anonymousreply 5811/18/2010

by Anonymousreply 5911/18/2010

So will there be an uncensored version of Survivor?

by Anonymousreply 6111/19/2010

I think the Survivor blurs are a response to HD. Someone with their finger on the button and penis shame issues realized that the television image is MUCH clearer than what he's been getting on the old Magnavox.

I am impressed, nonetheless, with modern blurring technology.

by Anonymousreply 6211/19/2010

How many accidental pop-outs have there been on Survivor throughout its run?

by Anonymousreply 6311/19/2010

Wow, r48, that's not a bulge, that's a full on hard on!!

by Anonymousreply 6411/19/2010

Westerns can be a good source of bulge, R65. See the Kirk Douglas/Burt Lancaster version of Gunfight at the OK Corral. John Ireland's swinging dick dominates a big scene in the saloon.

by Anonymousreply 6611/19/2010

"Back in the 30s and 40s they really worked to hide any bulges." %0D %0D Maybe becuase Walter Pidgeon was considered more of a patrician actor than a sex symbol, but Walter, who was reputedly well-hung, shows enormous bulges in the early scenes of the film MRS. PARKINGTON.

by Anonymousreply 6711/19/2010

R4 reminded of another fairy tale theater that i remember from childhood. it's the frog prince and there are several scenes where it's obvious the Frog is all man. Especially at 2:30 in this clip - those sparkly tights leave nothing to the imagination.

by Anonymousreply 6811/19/2010

because people today are more body conscious and aware than they were in the past, male bulges are discouraged, taboo in public. in fact, guys who display are branded as pervs, creepy, gross, in the same way the dudes who wear speedos are viewed.

by Anonymousreply 6911/19/2010

Well, it ain't a TV clip, but it's still fun to watch while we're discussing the topic.

by Anonymousreply 7011/19/2010

r68, the guy that plays the Frog Prince is the same guy who played Jambi the Genie on Peewee's Playhouse (John Paragon). I could be wrong but I think there was a thread on here a couple of years ago where someone who worked on Pee-wee's show claimed Jambi and Peewee were ex-boyfriends in real life. Any former Groundlings on here that can back that story up?

by Anonymousreply 7111/19/2010

Still another reason to love John Legend, despite his unhealthy interest in women.

by Anonymousreply 7211/19/2010

After the Landon clip there was nothing left to say.

by Anonymousreply 7411/19/2010

by Anonymousreply 7511/19/2010

The Frog Prince in r68's clip is so swishy! Frog Princess is more like it. Nice bulge though.

by Anonymousreply 7611/19/2010

[quote]creepy, gross, in the same way the dudes who wear speedos are viewed.%0D %0D ?%0D %0D so swimmers are creepy and gross?

by Anonymousreply 7711/20/2010

The twin gay brothers on Amazing Race did a mud based challenge in their boxers or boxer briefs and their considerable packages were blurred throughout. Which of course drew more attention to them.

by Anonymousreply 7811/20/2010

Don't think they were twins, R78, but yep, they were a bulgin'.

by Anonymousreply 7911/20/2010

r77, it's not like competitive swimming is exactly a huge sport in Middle America today, and with the advent of body suits, speedos are not necessary to the sport.

by Anonymousreply 8011/23/2010

i was watching the doctors the other day and travis was on the floor exercising. NO BULDGE AT ALL! he had to have had that thing tucked.

by Anonymousreply 8211/23/2010

Just checking in...

by Anonymousreply 8311/24/2010

If they were smart, they would promote male bulge along with shirtless hunks.

by Anonymousreply 8412/01/2010

r81, it even casts a shadow!

by Anonymousreply 8512/01/2010

Kelsey Grammer filmed his show wearing Armani suits with no underwear at all. The first season they'd have to stop shooting if he got excited and wait for him to calm down. After that the Armani people put some sort of panel in his slacks to keep him from showing.

by Anonymousreply 8612/01/2010

we live in anti-bulge society. get over it.

by Anonymousreply 8712/01/2010

TV underpants are always black now. No visible bulge unless the guy is shot sideways.

by Anonymousreply 8812/01/2010

I've been watching "Wagon Train" lately on Encore Western. Damn if I can sight a bulge on any of them.%0D %0D I had such a crush on Robert Horton ("Flint McCullough")%0D %0D Anybody know how they kept the goodies hidden?

by Anonymousreply 8903/25/2011

On some reality shows, you may occasionally see a bulge. On both Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures, there have a couple of times when some if the guys were showing something good.

by Anonymousreply 9104/24/2012

You'd never see TV stars in speedos like this today. Check out Michal J. Fox at 0:40.

by Anonymousreply 9204/24/2012

Holy shit @ Michael J. Fox!

by Anonymousreply 9304/24/2012

America is so Puritanical when it comes to anything sexual. Bulges, nudity, etc..

by Anonymousreply 9404/24/2012

Steve Gutenberg in the movie 'Cocoon' first appeared in tight denim cutoffs with a hugely obvious bulge. Minutes later in mid-scene the bulge vanished.

I guess after the first day of shooting was reviewed somebody in wardrobe was ordered to keep that python under wraps.

by Anonymousreply 9504/24/2012

All I can say is that the people who run HGTV and DIY Network are suspiciously careful of keeping those steady cams above the crotch whenever there is a tight shot of one of their hunky carpenter hosts. I mean, they do know that their audience is haus fraus and gay men, right?

by Anonymousreply 9604/24/2012

First let me say, hello to all, and second: this is not a bragging moment for me. third: I have been searching for the right fitting "Underwear/Draws" for more than 10 years,you see I'm Black, 6ft-5in tall, Chest/Shoulders 50in, waist 34in, Neck 19in, and down below: I measure(soft)7.5x5(Hard)11x7.5(it was measured by the ex-wife!)a year and a half ago I had to have a Hernia operation on the block and Tackle, after the proceedure, in a room full of other surgeons my doctor Says:.."do people really let you put, all that inside of them i was shocked for only a moment, then replied " well yeah as long as I hold'em down tight!! everybody got a laugh from my reply while the doctor continued stearing at it and shaking the heads trying to stifle laughter, then my doc warned me not to go Commando anymore, say I would be back for more surgeries if I don't get proper support because I'm too heavy to "Free Willy all the time, suggested in investing in Jockstraps, normally Women or men, look sometimes openly at my Junk then at my face(not sure if that entirely because I'm really tall or people really can't help themselves, Boxers are too loose, boxer briefs, briefs, Trunks and anything else I have looked are way too restrictive and way too much support, all of my family and friends tease me on a regular basis always making comments about the size of my Dick and Balls, I don't get embarrassed about anymore because short of duct-taping it between my legs.....there is no hiding it...not even in baggy pants, babes with Huge Tits, just put the girls out there without any worry and now I do the same....I'm A Man with Huge Junk, I'm over it!!!...P.S I still need some proper Draws

by Anonymousreply 9703/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 9803/13/2013

Freddie Prinze in any episode of Chico and the Man owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 9903/13/2013

Hello, R97. Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 10003/13/2013

in the 60's,american populsr culture threw off the chains of the conservative fifties and claimed the rights to self expression, free love, and sexual liberation. with the 70's, after the turmoil of the civil rights movement, the country finally had the chance to jump in and find out what all this new freedom was about. it seemed as though we were on the verge of - if not yet loving each other- at least learning how to tolerate our differences. we were moving forward. THAT could not be denied. But then suddenly it seemed as though while no one was paying any attention - the conservative establishment and their moral majority had gathered their forces of fear and repression, descended upon the casualties and victims of a decimating epidemic, and launched accusations of depravity and sin. Shell shocked from years of death, and re-examining life's direction, the creative culture and community repackaged itself as a mirror. No more exotic bohemia, now it would be not unlike the very intstitutions and ideas that were being used to demonize them. The fight for free love forgotten - the road forward was now paved with a request for equality, conformity, and the institutions of marriage and the nuclear family. Any actual identity was denied in order to emulate the oppressor and dissolve into a 'pedestrian' existence. Now, horrifically, we find our country consumed by arguments over abortion and condoms, and the advancements achieved 40 years ago seem inconceivable.

by Anonymousreply 10103/21/2013

I think it has more to do with boxer briefs opposed to the boxers that most used to wear and the tight pants that aren't as popular today.

You can't really see bulges through cargo or most suit pants.

by Anonymousreply 10203/21/2013

Scroll down to see what they made Robert Conrad wear beneath his pants, visible only when they ripped wide open.

by Anonymousreply 10403/21/2013

If you're a gay man, you definitely notice the camera hovering just above the male crotchal area. Or the sense that they zoomed in to obliterate bulge.

Of course the eyes are faster than the editing, and you will catch a millisecond of what they wre trying to dart away from. Or if you're sharp you'll catch a frame they forgot.

by Anonymousreply 10503/21/2013

[quote]One of the great things about WWII films was the amount of bulge visible. Boxers predominated and guys were on the march...making it much easier to see their bulges.

Boxers are standard military issue.

Post WWII all those "dads" continued to wear boxers. Most of their sons wore tighty-whitey's until they were old enough to demand boxers "like dad".

The 80's saw a whole generation of boys who never served in the military, ripe for exploitation by Calvin Klein and other designers.

Underwear is now "fashion" and the designers are laughing all the way to the bank.

by Anonymousreply 10603/21/2013

I will always remember Freddie Prinz.

by Anonymousreply 10707/05/2013

Wardrobe guy here on a show that you all know. Well endowed actors and/or quest stars are given briefs. Then they wear regular boxers or boxer briefs over them.

by Anonymousreply 10807/05/2013

R108, what is a "quest star"?

by Anonymousreply 10907/05/2013

r109- it's a should be "guest star".

by Anonymousreply 11007/05/2013

Presenting the rugged, erudite bulge of Elias Koteas in ZODIAC.

by Anonymousreply 11107/05/2013

R97, perhaps the most annoying part of your illiterate posting was your repeated reference to "draws". They're drawers, you racist troll.

by Anonymousreply 11207/05/2013

OP - you really need to get laid, dude.

by Anonymousreply 11307/05/2013

yes, they do. I worked a commercial and shooting was literally halted for an hour while the ad agency went cuckoo because the outline of the actor's dick (black guy) could be seen through his pants! No one knew how to deal with this without offending him or making him uncomfortable.

When I finally realized what was causing the delay, I simply walked up to the guy and said, "Dude, we can see your dick. Do have anything other than boxers in your car?" He laughed and went to his car, got his gym bag, changed into some other undergarment and shooting resumed.

commercial aired, and the way its shot, you can't even see his crotch! All that drama for nothing!

(They strap down the boobs of Disney girls, too! I've seen that.)

by Anonymousreply 11407/05/2013

Watch The Dukes of Hazzard on CMT. John Schneider is sporting a big buldge in nearly every scene and sometimes you can see it bounce around under those blue jeans of his. They also showed his ass off in those tight jeans from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 11501/29/2014

Yes they do. In the case of jerry seinfled the first season of the show he worn blue jeans, This really showed how big he was So from then on he wore black jeans as these black jeans tended to show his package.....there are other examples as well.

by Anonymousreply 11602/15/2014

Some men are just naturally hung nothing wrong with that. Women have big breasts and no one complains. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 11702/22/2014

[quote]I dunno, OP. My late Mother called "The Big Valley, "The Big Crotch".

Tell your mother I'm so embarrassed, and I'm sorry.

by Anonymousreply 11802/22/2014

[quote]Some men are just naturally hung nothing wrong with that.

True, but sometimes it attracts too much attention.

by Anonymousreply 11912/05/2014

Men should not hide their big packages. I'm hung, and I'm offended that someone might think it's distasteful for me to freeball in sweatpants or wear my fashionable Levi's 511s with no underwear, my dick outline visible against my right thigh. If you're looking there, then you deserve to be "offended" by whatever you see. It's your own fault for looking!

Same thing goes if I'm jerking off in front of my big living room window and I happen to press my 8" boner up against the glass. If you're offended by that sort of thing, then don't look! Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 12012/06/2014

I love R 120.

I'm above average too and used to having people gawk at it, going way back to gym locker rooms.

I also have a very large head, which used to cause a lot of comments back in the day.

Settled down now so it's not shared with multiple partners anymore. Still, it does bounce around and you know what, that makes me smile and feel pretty damn good!

by Anonymousreply 12112/06/2014

Anyone remember the 80's t.v. series "Matt Houston" starring Lee Horsley? The opening credits began (2nd?) season with a medium close-up shot with Lee's VERY PROMINENT COCK BULGE in tight jeans framed by cowboy chaps. The dude has quite the package and though I was very young, I do recall some strident controversy over that shot. Even as a little kid I just knew I like that big Bulge very much. Indeed!! šŸ˜

by Anonymousreply 12203/11/2015

R120/r121, you wouldn't mind posting a photo would you?

by Anonymousreply 12303/11/2015

i suspect it's simply the looseness of pants (jeans and dress pants) of today's world add in the confines of today's underwear. i'm guessing back in the day of bulges, underwear not only consisted of the tighty whities but bikini underwear plus some men back then wore NO underwear at all..combined with the fashion of the day tight pants and there you have it...

i was just watching my recently purchased season 4 of the six million dollar man dvd box set and i was absolutely stunned (and turned on big time!) seeing lee major's in every episode his shirt unbuttoned down to like the 4 button showing hairy chest big time! i remember watching this show when i was a kid and being turned on by him but seeing this as a adult now, i'm absolutely amazed and stunned that this was "normal?" it's so over the top it's homoerotic campy and erotic! too bad this "look" and spray painted on polyester/nylon pants is gone forever!

by Anonymousreply 12403/11/2015

I'm so glad Elias Koteas' tumescence has made this thread!

(happy 54th birthday, Elias!)

by Anonymousreply 12503/11/2015

On one of Dick Clark shows, Where the action is,they had to stop the taping while the director had to tell Lou Christie to adjust his cock some how so it didn't show so much. My uncle was a camera man on the show. They had to put a table in front of him and continue shooting,while trying not to let the rest of the people in the studio know what was going on.

by Anonymousreply 12603/11/2015

It ain't the 1970's.

by Anonymousreply 12703/11/2015

It ain't the 1970's what, R127?

by Anonymousreply 12803/11/2015

I miss the 1970s and 1980s TV, especially the latter, when it seemed like every guy sported a hefty bulge.

by Anonymousreply 12903/11/2015

Watch the original Hawaii Five-0, especially the later seasons. Holy shit, Danno! It looks like he's got a pipe down there . . .

by Anonymousreply 13003/11/2015

heck, ever since the so called homoerotic debacle of schumacher's batman movies, even the superheroes who are SUPPOSED to be the most heroic, bravest, best looking, built, ultimate males are bulgeless and their suits "functional"...

never thought i would say bring back joel schumacher and his cough cough "ideas" in superhero suit designs!.

by Anonymousreply 13103/11/2015

I don't know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 13203/11/2015

Chuck Conners sported VPL on a regular basis on The Rifleman. I caught an episode the other day where his cock and huge sack outline were so visible going down his right pant leg that he might as well not have been wearing pants. Of course, the pants were hiked up to his chest.

by Anonymousreply 13303/12/2015

I loved the old Star Trek episodes from the '60s. You could always see Shatner's (and quite a few guest stars') bulges.

I remember the episode "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", where Frank Gorshin's monster bulge was prominently on display through those grey tights. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 13403/12/2015

R134, William Shatner did have an awesome bulge... a great ass too.

by Anonymousreply 13503/12/2015

Gary Sandy on WKRP had a gigantic one.

They even joked often about his "tight pants" but never actually mentioned the bulge.

by Anonymousreply 13703/12/2015

tight pants! I can see your PUSSY from behind!

by Anonymousreply 13803/12/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!