Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It''s time for the Bronx.

As another thread points out, you can't even escape the Strollerfrauen in Williamsburg, as though the Hipsters weren't bad enough.%0D %0D Manhattan and Brooklyn are not safe for us any more. It's time for some brave LGBT's to pick a neighborhood in the Bronx and start over. There is enough cheap, solid housing stock and public transport to make it work, and the Bronx's reputation will keep it safe from Hipsters and Strollerfrauen for decades.%0D %0D Ladies and Gentlemen, it's time for the Bronx.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 9210/06/2012

What is the deal with hipsters? What is their motivation for looking and acting like they do? I'm not really even sure I know what one is though I have seen some folks in coffee shops and even on HGTV shows that I thought might be hipsters. Does their wardrobe include neckscarves, fedoras or other chapeaus, big hornrimmed glasses, etc? Are they trying to be beatniks?

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 111/12/2010

R1 is old.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 211/12/2010

Yes, R2, I am. Not elderly but definitely on the downhill towards that. I just see young skinny guys now with goofy caps or hats perched on their heads wearing neckscarves, no matter the weather, and hornrimmed glasses. Looks pretentiously artsy to me so I just wondered if those were hipsters.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 311/12/2010

Hipster are basically the oughties version of Prepsters.

There's a bit of inversion but it all comes down to looking down on those who don't adopt their lifestyle or at poseurs who try too hard to be like hipsters.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 411/12/2010

It's hip to be square.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 511/12/2010

I like hipsters - they make me feel comfortable - it's okay to wear old running shoes with chinos and a t-shirt with a little lamb on it and the quote 'WHAT KIND OF ASSHOLE EATS A LAMB?' (me today).

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 611/12/2010

Why not Queens, OP?

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 711/12/2010

The Bronx is too far away and is also boring.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 811/12/2010

It's not worth it.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 911/12/2010

?

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 1011/13/2010

I live in Mott Haven. There are some simply amazing, breathtaking apartments and lofts in this area that are dying for a homo's touch. Plus just one stop out of Manhattan, so not as severe a train/cab ride as say...Pelham Bay Parkway.

The area's still a bit crimey-grimey, though... but so was Chelsea when its gentrification began.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 1111/13/2010

The Bronx is not a part of New York

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 1211/13/2010

Treacle tarts! Come and get'em!

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 1311/14/2010

Williamsburg is 99% White. That's why people go there, even if they won't admit it.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 1411/14/2010

Fuck los Bronx! Move to Queens instead.

Astoria, here we come!

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 1511/15/2010

The next generation of hipsters is a little late. Astoria was "discovered" at least a decade ago.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 1611/15/2010

75,000 welfare scum live in the Soundview projects in the Bronx. Bloomberg should tear them down and build condos and apartments for people who work for a living and throw these people out.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 1711/15/2010

R17 wants to turn New York into Chicago. You can smell the weight coming off those words.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 1811/15/2010

Soundview is like a third-world country. One of the worst neighborhoods in the US.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 1911/15/2010

R14 is correct about the all white aspect. Da Bronx ain't gonna cut it. Or Queens for that matter.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 2011/15/2010

Ridiculous, r20.

The gays are known for being fearless pioneers of gentrification. Chelsea, the East Village and the Lower East Side were all poor, minority dominated areas before the gay glitterati moved in and spruced them up.

Gentrification has slowly been taking hold in Washington Heights and the Central Park North area of Harlem.

And PS...Brooklyn is NOT "Whiteland". It might be turning into that more and more each day but it wasn't like that 20 years ago.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 2111/15/2010

The dude who helped quash same sex marriage rights in NY in the state senate was from the Bronx, correct?

He was the only one to speak against the bill and then it failed. I'd avoid it, personally, but I guess turning it into a gayboorhood would help change things in the long run.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 2211/15/2010

But... but... that's where my MAID comes from.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 2311/15/2010

If gays and some other types (artsy, bohemian, etc) actually moved to the Bronx en masse and gentrified neighborhoods, it wouldn't keep the stroller set out for "decades". We'd have a decade tops, and only about three years from when the neighborhood officially turned the corner according to real estate professionals and real estate writers.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 2411/15/2010

r21 is correct. Gay people are gentrification's front guards. We're not as obsessed about schools and race. I know some poster is going to shriek that all gays are racist... the point is gay people are LESS racist than straights, at least when it comes to housing and neighborhoods and where they'll live.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 2511/15/2010

ugh, just move to Detroit.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 2611/15/2010

It's okay if the stroller brigade marches in after a couple of decades. By then the inexpensive condos that we bought and renovated will have appreciated to double or triple the value and we'll sell them to dumb ass stroller mamas who want to be hip.

Then we'll just relocate to the next "diamond in the rough".

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 2711/15/2010

Detroit needs the gays too. SuperGay Detroit has a cute blog about Detroit.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 2811/15/2010

Can someone tell me the evolution of Williamsburg - how did it become the "great hipster capital"?

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 2911/15/2010

The country is running out of "diamonds in the rough".

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 3011/15/2010

What's there to tell, r29? In the late 90s young, white trendy "artists" were being priced out of the gentrified East Village and they all needed somewhere new to go.

Also, the burden of being hip means that you can never be too satisfied with one place, fashion or idea for too long. Once the masses discover what you know then you must shed it and move on for greener, cooler pastures. You must always try to maintain the sense of "underground". Always the desperate search for "newness".

So these former East Villagers looked across the East River to a vast expanse of cheap, dilapidated warehouse buildings that made up Williamsburg at the time and started converting them into artist lofts, cafes and quirky boutiques.

The rest is history.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 3111/15/2010

Mygod. By the time you are seriously contemplating uprooting to inconvenient, marginal neighborhoods way out on the periphery, your New York ship has sailed. You haven't made it here. You've categorically failed. It's time to move on.

There are perfectly lovely places in this country where people of modest means can still live in or near and be part of the action. Far from being a knock on flyover country, it's a genuine compliment.

Just go. You're only a New Yorker in your own mind.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 3211/15/2010

Weren't there "the docks" out there or something? I don't live in NY, so I don't know, but weren't "the docks" notorious? And did gays move the W'burg first?

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 3311/15/2010

R32 you obviously don't know many people in NY. Moving to a periphery neighborhood may mean you want a really big place. People who value the home often want large spaces to cultivate. Living in a 1700 dollar studio in midtown is not quality of life for people of this ilk.

And I know many people who live in midtown, upper west, chelsea, union square who live beyond their means, have not "made it" at all, and who spend most of their income on rent for an overpriced, tiny shoebox.

You're way off base r32.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 3411/15/2010

No, I'm not "way off base", I'm just practical. And in 30 years of living in NYC you'd be amazed at how many people I know in NY. The vast majority of whom never have nor ever will set foot in the Grand Concourse, Bushwick, or fucking Tottenville.

If you're looking for more space, go to Ohio. Coming to NYC and ending up in the Bronx just screams loser. You can protest all you want, but Manhattanites will never take you seriously if you're in these horrible outer borough places.

If you can't afford to be in NYC, then don't be in NYC. That is totally fine. But don't delude yourself by trying to convince yourself that you can experience NYC from the far reaches of the G train. You're not fooling anyone.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 3511/15/2010

[quote] The country is running out of "diamonds in the rough".

Not once we tear down the projects and build high-priced luxury condos and apartments.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 3611/15/2010

Detroit lost its diamond in the rough, art deco Palmer Park.%0D

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 3711/15/2010

I want to know what the bitchy queen r32 does for a living living in Manhattan proper....& how big her place is.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 3811/15/2010

r32 makes me want to move to move as far away from r32 as possible.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 3911/15/2010

Sure. I'm a junior partner at a Big Four consulting firm. I have a 1300 sq foot, fully rehabbed, two bed - two bath on 87th and Amsterdam.

If you're thinking of moving to the Grand Concourse, that might as well be Siberia.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 4011/15/2010

I don't know. It's a borough - not Manhattan. It will never be Manhattan. And my great grandparents (paternal side) were Bedford Park natives. Maternal side grand parents Woodlawn.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 4111/15/2010

I've no particular desire to decamp to the Bronx either, R32, but you do realize that the only people who can afford to live like you do are middle aged corporate types and people who live off of trust funds, right?

If it wasn't for the creative class who make New York interesting ( and who now largely live in the outer boroughs out of necessity, whatever they may tell themselves) and the working class who keep New York functioning (and who have always lived in the outer boroughs, and have also always been real New Yorkers -- truer ones in fact than you, whatever you may tell yourself) Manhattan would just be Charlotte, North Carolina with bed bugs.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 4211/15/2010

Junior Partner, huh?

I'm so looking forward to the day he starts a thread about how he's been laid off and can't get a job because of all the new whippersnapper lawyers flooding the market. Hee!

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 4311/15/2010

R32 is LYING.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 4411/15/2010

No, not lying.

And if the creative class are interested in commuting two hours each way and making two bus connections before linking to the R train, all to earn meager pay and make life more interesting for Manhattanites, I won't complain. That's up to them. But it seems really, really foolish.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 4511/15/2010

Hmmm. Some of the working class have always lived in the boroughs, but large swaths of Manhattan have been a haven to working class also. Stuyvesant Town/Peter Cooper Village historically has been a home to NYC teachers, NYPD, NYFD and all sorts of city workers. There's lots of Manhattan residents who are normal working class stiffs who know how to lead the Manhattan life on a municipal salary.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 4611/15/2010

r31, you're about ten years off on your Wmsbg hipsterization. It became a destination for hipsters displaced from the East Village in the '80s. It turned into a college dorm in the late 90s.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 4711/15/2010

r32 gives faggotry a bad name.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 4811/15/2010

"Junior partner" my ass. You're an underpaid cubicle farm slave living in a shared one bedroom in Washington Heights, clasping to the idea of being a Manhattanite.

Washington Heights is not the "Upper Upper Westside", honey.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 4911/15/2010

Nice work r49. First you claim I'm lying, then you disparage me based on your fabrications.

This really is a sorrier bunch then I'd realized.

Believe me, I feel the same way about Washington Heights.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 5011/15/2010

R21, the previous posters didn't say "Brooklyn" is all White, they said that "Williamsburg" is all White. And it is. The rest of Brooklyn is far from being all White.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 5111/15/2010

Am I the only one who remembers the Prole Cap Troll?

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 5211/15/2010

r32, I believe you but then again, I don't live in Manhattan, NY, or a city anymore. I'm living in 2285 square feet, 2 stories, and a private pool. I realize you're living in the heart of it for money.....but you don't sound like you're really living the high life. 1300 square feet? I guess that's fine for one person alone ....but...I'd rather have more. Frankly, I'd like 3,000 square feet and a solar roof but maybe I'll we'll be able to afford that in an upgrade.

r32, as a Jr. Partner, your salary must be millions or tens of millions or more, am I right?

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 5311/15/2010

R32 is LY-ING

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 5411/15/2010

I believe R 32 has a rent stabilized apartment or bought the apt. years ago. Thirty year/fifteen years ago Amsterdam and 87th St. was a drug infested no man's land. No one in their right mind would live there, unless poor or a misguided bohemian. And honestly it's still not a bed of roses.%0D %0D So Mr. Junior partner toughed it out a while ago for whatever reason and smugly still lives there.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 5511/15/2010

Also, right where r32 lives, at 87 and Amsterdam, there is a huge PROJECT building. Not the nicest of blocks.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 5611/15/2010

r17, you are disgusting.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 5711/15/2010

r32 can't even lie right. Lazy liar trolls are the worst. You could have at least researched before creating your lie because 87th and Amsterdam Ave is slumsville! Any respectable law partner would not have such a declasse address, darling.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 5811/15/2010

r34 just supports r 32 's hypothesis.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 5911/15/2010

Re "junior partner": The Big Four means PWC, KPMG, E&Y and Deloitte. There's no such title as "junior partner" at these firms. Someone might refer to a newly minted partner as that, but no one would ever refer to themselves as that. They would just say %0D "partner". I know, I work there.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 6011/15/2010

87th and Amsterdam is definitely NOT slumsville. r32 is an asshole but let's not lie.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 6111/15/2010

R58, you do realize that the overwhelming majority of the people who work at management consulting firms are not lawyers, right?

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 6211/15/2010

It's not slumsville at all but where r32 is claiming to live is either right next door or directly across the street from a project building with people sitting outside in lawn chairs for most of the summer.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 6311/15/2010

I agree, the commutes in NYC to get from Inwood to Downtown Brooklyn from Woodside to Riverside is just for the birds. I want coffee with an old HS buddy, not hours on the train. I've done it and I'm through. NYC you're gone for me.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 6411/15/2010

LOL, hate me all you want girls, but um... no, 87th and Amsterdam is really, really not the slums. But how would you know? You're forgiven.

I would love it if you all moved here to gentrify this scary neighborhood. You know, when you're done with the Grand Concourse.

Your insults are dumber than your initial posts.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 6511/15/2010

Actually, NYC just needs to dump Bloomberg. The man has no understanding of this city, or of what it is that made it the best city in the world. He's a fucking clueless out-of-towner and always will be. His vision for NYC is basically making it into "Dubai West."

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 6611/15/2010

Please, PLEASE do not invade here....

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 6711/15/2010

87th and Amsterdam is indeed a grim little stretch of town.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 6811/15/2010

It's not the slums, no. But you live next to a project. Admit it.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 6911/15/2010

I've been looking at the Bronx for a long time. I'm tempted. I helped pioneer a neighborhood in Brooklyn and my investment has quintupled. I could sell my Brooklyn row house, buy a place in da Bronx out right and have half a million left over. %0D %0D And you all know that's better than having a Starbucks in your building. But, to each his own!

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 7011/15/2010

Could someone post the address of the alleged slum so I can see it on Google maps?

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 7111/16/2010

It's near Barney Greengrass; I have a hard time believing it's a slum. I'm not sure I understand the idea that every gay has to live in Manhattan or is a loser, though. Seems a little short-sighted, though. And the truth is that you can get a lot more space and other amenities if you widen your view. And some of those Grand Concourse apartments could be amazing if they were redone.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 7211/16/2010

Here's a complete set of Detroit photos....

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 7311/16/2010

The Bronx? No thonx.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 7411/16/2010

I was born in the Bronx when there were still a lot of working class Jewish families living there. My parents whisked me out to the NJ suburbs in the mid-50s just as I was about to begin kindergarten.%0D %0D I remember we lived in an apartment building on Jessup Ave. near Featherbed Lane. Do these streets still exist and if so, what are they like now? That was such a long time ago!

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 7511/16/2010

Many of the grand concourse apartments are grand inside. Huge, sunken living rooms. Sweeping terrace views. Walk in closets and oversized bathrooms. Not to mention the fabulously designed building facades.

The Grand Concourse was originally built up to be similar to the great avenues like Park and Fifth. Rich Jews were the ones who lived there.

But then the 60s happened, along with white flight and the neighborhood deteriorated into it's present state.

Most of those grand apartments are still intact and just begging for a rejuvenation...

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 7611/16/2010

They really need to tear down all the projects and then move the residents onto Roosevelt Island.

Then discontinue all tram, bus and train service to and from there.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 7711/16/2010

Sorry, R77, Roosevelt Island is being reserved for the relocation of fags.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 7811/16/2010

Any queen living in the Bronx will immediately be known as Mary From The Block %0D

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 7911/16/2010

There is a low-income housing project at the NE corner of 87th & Amsterdam, but most of those families are stable and long-term, and actually rather politically active. The NW corner is (I think?) a modest apartment building with a bodega on the ground floor, but I think it's a co-op. The SW and SE corners are substantial coops (the SW is the legendary Belnord.)

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 8011/16/2010

Well, I do know that The Indian Wants the Bronx.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 8111/16/2010

There is no area of Manhattan that is slummy or grim. Not anymore anyway.%0D %0D Most of us learn to deal with living near the so-called Projects. But if you treat them with respect they will treat you with respect. If you act like r77 and be a faggot ass racist then yes you deserve to have your ass beaten until you're dead.%0D %0D

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 8211/16/2010

I dunno about the Bronx. Sorry, OP.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 8311/16/2010

it's all about Buffalo next.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 8411/16/2010

Where do the artists, musicians, and new writers live? Is NYC still the fount of creativity in American culture?

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 8511/17/2010

That's night true, r82. There were numerous incidences of people from the projects that are between 0th and 10th Aves attacking/robbing gay men as they left the bars at night.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 8611/17/2010

[quote] Why not Queens, OP?

There are tons of LGBT people (many young) in Astoria, Sunnyside, LIC, Forest Hills, Jackson Heights, Kew Gardens.

What are you talking about?

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 8711/17/2010

[quote] Where do the artists, musicians, and new writers live? Is NYC still the fount of creativity in American culture?

In Astoria or less trendy parts of Brooklyn.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 8811/17/2010

Many live just across the water in Jersey, too. Jersey City and Hoboken are practically boroughs of Manhattan now.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 8911/17/2010

[quote] There is no area of Manhattan that is slummy or grim.

R82 has clearly never been above 110th Street.

Have you been to Hamilton Heights or East Harlem?

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 9011/17/2010

R82 I assume you live in the projects. Asshole.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 9111/17/2010

I'm gay and moving to the Bronx. I've been looking for a 1 bedroom in an art deco building and I found it one block from the Botanical Gardens 20 minutes to midtown on metro north with sunken living room and lots of charm. Price was half of a similar apt in Harlem and neighborhood is better. Girls, you need to expand your horizons. The Bronx is the next best secret.

by The Grand Concourse Is Your Runwayreply 9210/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.