Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Something I''ve noticed about gay men.

They don't work out their legs. They have terrifically muscled upper bodies and toothpick legs. Why the aversion to leg workouts?

by Anonymousreply 7310/13/2014

I don't know, but I've seen the straights with skinny legs too. But, that is true.

by Anonymousreply 111/09/2010

It's not just gay men - I see many guys at the gym who never do anything except upper body work. They only want to lift weights (so much more macho than using the stair machine or the elliptical trainer).

by Anonymousreply 211/09/2010

I see this too, and it's not just gay men. I think it's not so much their workout regimen, but genetics. Long skinny legs, and skinny calf muscles can be worked out until they're hard as rocks, but simply won't get any larger without something like steroids or calf implants.

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2010

Yeah, it's all about the chest and arms--the most visual part of a guys body and what you first notice. So I make sure that I do a fair amount of time on the stairmaster so that my legs get soome exercise even if it's not weigh bearing exercise.

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2010

We all seem to have body issues, but this is one area where i don't. My genetics favored me with legs like those of a football player.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2010

It is not just a gay thing- a lot of gym bunnies have this. I have been conscious of this since an episode of "Wings" I saw as a kid when the crazy old lady made some crack about a hot guy with a huge upper body and skinny legs. Haha.

Since I joined the gym I have worked out my legs religiously. But its hard to get any development because they are already used to a lot of activity. My calves are finally starting to show a little development after a lot of focus.

Any tips on leg exercises?

by Anonymousreply 811/10/2010

It's even easier to wear shorts.

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2010

There's a guy at my gym who has razor sharp abs (which he is constantly displaying by pulling up his shirt) and great upper body development.%0D %0D Today, I saw him in the locker room. He has the ass of a 60 year old, it literally sags. Add in the toothpick legs and it really is a ridiculous look to sport.%0D %0D I really can't have a lot of admiration or respect for someone claiming to be a body builder (in the loosest sense of the word), then turn around and ignore some of the biggest muscle groups in the body. %0D %0D If you're going to do something, why be so half-assed about it?

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2010

Soccer players have amazing legs.

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2010

I also think this explains why so many guys now work out in pants instead of shorts.

by Anonymousreply 1211/10/2010

I blame the board short trend.

Why work out your legs when you're going to cover 3/5 of them up?

by Anonymousreply 1311/10/2010

i HATE THIS! I call it - BGNA - Big guns, no ass, and I DETEST IT!

by Anonymousreply 1411/10/2010

Hopefully enough people have said it that it's understood it's not just gay men, though I have to say the fact that you assume this to be true shows how little time you spend with straight people or how much you assume this look is gay.

Some other things I've noticed:

1. A lot guys at the gym don't wear shorts at all, and if they do it's the baggy basketball shorts, not board shorts, but usually some kind of pants. So I'm not sure how you're making this assessment, but if these guys -- who rarely give off a gay vibe to me, and some I see with their girfriends -- I can't tell (and don't care).

2. A lot of straight guys at the gym also do no cardio, and seem to be on either (a) a lot of supplements, and (b) the steak-potato-beer diet. No part of them is thin, much less their legs.

Do with that what you will.

by Anonymousreply 1511/10/2010

For those of you that want great legs and a rock hard ass, I have one word -- SPINNING!

by Anonymousreply 1611/10/2010

Hugh Jackman owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1911/10/2010

Dunno--Jackman does have some calf development showing in the picture. I don't doubt that genetics are a factor, but you don't need 'roids or implants to get *somethin'* goin' on down there. Work those legs and asses, dudes.

I think str8s call the upper bod bar muscles--you look good trying to pick up chicks at a bar.

Give me the whole package.

by Anonymousreply 2011/10/2010

If you were a fat kid, you'll never have to worry about skinny legs - just the stretch marks on your inner thighs and hips.

by Anonymousreply 2111/10/2010

Yeah, it's even more common in straight gyms. Gay men who are vain and body-conscious usually include, in their workout routines, some effort to have an ass.

Years ago I used to work out at a very straight bodybuilders' gym where a cartoonist posted a goofy pic of this kind of guy (big stacked T-frame above the waist, grasshopper legs down below).

The image came with a little poem:

"Boy, there's something that you have forgotten.

Step up to the bar, and get to squattin'."

by Anonymousreply 2211/10/2010

I was born with naturally large calves and thighs that I inherited from Mother. Not all of us are disproportionate.

by Anonymousreply 2311/10/2010

There's certain perception among the men who are gymgoers that elliptical crosstrainers, stairmasters, and stationary bikes are for people who want to lose the weight. I hardly ever see most guys at my gym do long interval aerobics, it's all free weights, weight machines, push-ups and such. I am fortunate that genetics blessed me with very muscular legs but I don't understand how one can claim to be a fitness buff without incorporating aerobics into their routine.

by Anonymousreply 2411/10/2010

"but I don't understand how one can claim to be a fitness buff without incorporating aerobics into their routine."%0D %0D For a lot of people, going to the gym has absolutely nothing to do with fitness or developing ALL of your body. As someone said upstream, it's just about developing parts of the body that will get you noticed out on the dance floor, and hopefully, get you laid. Doesn't matter of the person is gay or straight.

by Anonymousreply 2511/10/2010

I agree, big thighs and ass MEANS sex to me, pecs are fine, but a skinny ass and thighs is a boner-killer

by Anonymousreply 2611/10/2010

It's because gay men spend most of their time on their backs, with their feet up in the air. This drains blood from the legs and is what causes the toothpick syndrome %0D

by Anonymousreply 2811/10/2010

fucking hilarious

by Anonymousreply 2911/10/2010

Why is it these stick legged buffoons are always the ones preening and flexing in gym mirrors. Don't they realize how stupid they look, or are they not just looking below their belt line?%0D %0D I happened to see one of these guys once naked in the locker room (naturally, he always wore long work out pants on the gym floor). He wasn't a huge guy but he had tremendous definition and was very lean on top. His lower body, though, looked like he was a concentration camp survivor. It really was gross.

by Anonymousreply 3011/10/2010

I work out both. Then again, I've always had muscular legs. My chest is fairly developed too but it's my arms and abs that really need help.

A lot of guys prob. don't care about their legs because they don't have a natural muscularity there. But that doesn't mean that some toning isn't a good thing.

Also, not sure if some of the threads here are based on this, but many hiv positive guys have very worked out upper bodies but the drugs have unfortunately robbed their legs and butts of muscle tone. This is most likely true of guys who were on the old generation of drugs. I understand the new generation is much less likely to cause those kind of fat and muscle distribution issues.

by Anonymousreply 3311/11/2010

The elliptical works wonders for shaping and lifting the ass. It really should be called the Ass-Master.

by Anonymousreply 3511/11/2010

[quote]Hugh Jackman owns this thread.%0D %0D You couldn't be more wrong. If you saw "The Boy From Oz" - where he plays fellow Aussie leg man Peter Allen and changes clothes on stage while showing some serious leg - you wouldn't be saying that. Not only does he have fantastic natural long shapely legs, but also they're developed beyond the call of duty. He must have done some dedicated biking and/or any other sport that develops the lateral quadriceps. In addition, his calves are glorious (but Mommy and Daddy usually give you those).%0D %0D Also to be exempt from this thread - gay dancers, gymnasts and figure skaters. Do we have any of those?? :)

by Anonymousreply 3611/11/2010

I wouldn't call THOSE toothpicks

by Anonymousreply 3711/11/2010

[quote]Men don't care about the lower body as much because the lower body is not associated as much with masculinity

Except for the penis.

Recently saw a Sunny in Phil show where one guy tells the other that he only works the "glamour muscles" - meaning chest, shoulders and arms.

Personally, I think men with great legs are the hottest. Well shaped, muscled, hairy - sends me over the top.

by Anonymousreply 3811/11/2010

As they used to call them years ago: "disco tits on toothpick legs."

The elliptical works wonders, as do squats, lunges, leg press, and calf raises.

by Anonymousreply 3911/11/2010

I AM very muscular in my hips and legs and indeed, I'm not as flexible a bottom as I would like. Frankly, getting it from behind is just better.

by Anonymousreply 4211/11/2010

boys like toys first

by Anonymousreply 4311/11/2010

R44 = man shaped like a flamingo

by Anonymousreply 4511/11/2010

Apple shaped men turn me on

by Anonymousreply 4611/12/2010

I've had several guys at the gym ask me what workout I do to get my big calves. I tell them the truth...ALL the men in my family have them whether they work out or not. Genetics can be a wonderful thing.

by Anonymousreply 4711/12/2010

"Apple shaped men turn me on"

Who are some apple-shaped male celebs other than Apple Martin (you do know she's male, right)?

by Anonymousreply 4811/13/2010

Meanwhile, I've noticed recently that women have amazing asses, even when they get older, like in their 70s, and they don't do anything to have them.

by Anonymousreply 4911/13/2010

I was once asked by a roommate in college what workout routines I did to get the big thighs, ass, and calves I have. "Nothing," I said. And it's the truth. The men in my family are all naturally that way.

When I started working out in college, I was always working on my upper body with my trainer. But he told me that the muscles on the upper body need to rest after days of vigorous workout routines before they can grow. And so he taught me how to do the squads properly. And he was right! It helped my upper body grow faster than I thought. So, for those who have hit the plateau in terms of developing the upper-body muscle groups, working on the lower body can help you get over it.

I don't mind if a man has smaller things or legs than mine - most of them do anway, even the "big" guys. But it's definitely not ok if the guy has a smaller ass than mine. I am already small in build, and so most guys are probably bigger than me stature-wise. It's a boner-killer for me if the guy is bigger than me overall - and most of them are - but has a smaller ass than mine. That, my friend, is definitely a boner killer for me.

by Anonymousreply 5104/14/2011

I think a large lower body (or large body in general) is mostly due to genetics. I've always had huge legs ever since the onset of puberty.

When I still used to go to the gym, I only did high rep squats with fairly light weights and I never bulked or took supplements, but even then my thighs and ass swiftly ballooned to gigantic proportions and I couldn't fit into any normal pair of pants. I haven't worked out in five years and my legs (and upper body as well) are still huge.

I think the reason why the majority of guys don't bother to do legs, is because they find it too straining and, moreover, most straight women (and gay men) think men with big thighs and asses are gross...

by Anonymousreply 5309/08/2013

[quote] Why the aversion to leg workouts?

they're harder and gay men (and straights) are fundamentally lazy

by Anonymousreply 5509/08/2013

Something I've noticed about gay men is how handsy they get with me in the sauna!

by Anonymousreply 5609/08/2013

My legs have ALWAYS been on point.

by Anonymousreply 5709/08/2013

skinny legs are easier to keep in the air longer

by Anonymousreply 5809/08/2013

All gay men? Gay white men? Jews or Christians? Protestants? Catholics? If you're going to generalize, please be more specific.

by Anonymousreply 6009/08/2013

We'll, R61, when they're wrapped around my neck, I like a certain amount of muscularity. And hair. At least, no stubble.

by Anonymousreply 6209/08/2013

you lying stupid fat cunt!

by Anonymousreply 6509/08/2013

I think the opposite is true; gay men do tend to focus on their lower body more, because they know other men will be checking out their ass, their thighs and calves, etc....

by Anonymousreply 6609/08/2013

All men tend to neglect lower bod. It is a dude thing.

by Anonymousreply 6709/27/2013

Are guys with thicker soccer legs more attractive than guys with tooth-pick legs? Or, vice-versa?

Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 6809/27/2013

I've noticed this far more with straight men, OP. Strange that your observation is the exact opposite of mine and everyone else I know.

Gay men pay better attention to their bodies because they understand that attracting men is a visual game. Most gay men I know take pride in their ass and work their glutes out specifically. Straight men are more apt to focus only on the body parts that they see in the bathroom mirror: chest, shoulders and arms. They have zero clue about what makes a man attractive, nor do they care, and anything having to do with their ass is probably too "gay". They only care about "getting big", which is all about upper body.

[quote]I just don't care about legs and was never turned on or off one way or another by another men's legs. Who cares?

Muscular legs are a good indicator of sexual prowess, for obvious reasons. All that thrusting is not happening in your arms or chest. I'm a bottom and even I rate guys on their asses because that's where all the thrust-power lies.

Also, who on earth would favor thin or flabby thighs over muscular ones? Honestly, there is nothing hotter than a guy with a set if thick, muscular legs.

by Anonymousreply 6909/27/2013

Where/how do they encounter this stigma?

by Anonymousreply 7109/27/2013

[quote]A lot of guys are afraid or apprehensive about working out the lower body because other people might wonder why they care so much about their lower body and working on the lower bod is often perceived as feminine or girly. Most guys are okay with doing squats, but if there is some perception that a dude is working on butt exercises, there is a stigma attached.

Is this a good example of a gay man projecting his insecurities?

by Anonymousreply 7209/27/2013

most dudes don't work out their legs.

by Anonymousreply 7310/13/2014
Need more help? Click Here.