Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Zombie Physiology

We know that zombies ingest living flesh. But, what about zombie digestion? Is there zombie urine? Zombie feces? Zombie flatulence? %0D %0D Do any of the zombie fictions in film, graphic novels/comics, videogames, or novels answer these questions?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3909/09/2013

This thread will go far beyond 500 replies.

by Anonymousreply 111/09/2010

Since they are dead, they are eating flesh not out of biological necessity. It's a kind of compulsion. Therefore, they do not digest the flesh. They eat until they cannot eat anymore, then they either cut themselves open to remove the accumulated flesh and start over again, or retire.

by Anonymousreply 211/09/2010

OP, was it really necessary to start this disgusting topic? Why can't we just have a nice zombie discussion?%0D %0D Zombies in 28 Days Later did actually die of starvation. But they may not be considered zombies by some so much as people infected by the rage virus.

by Anonymousreply 311/09/2010

R2 is correct. Zombies are re-animated corpses, so their internal organs do not function. Therefore, they cannot digest food and liquids the way a living person would. Once their stomachs are full, they either purge the contents or cut open their abdomens to remove the contents and then they start over.

by Anonymousreply 411/09/2010

I want to know why zombies are in the zeitgeist AT ALL

by Anonymousreply 511/09/2010

Go read Word War Z by Max Brooks. It will answer all your questions and more. Good stuff.

Basically, all that flesh stays in the zombie bellies rotting until they start to decompose and it falls out.

by Anonymousreply 611/09/2010

OK. But what about the zombies in the walking dead? supposedly, they will weaken to the point of immobility if they do not eat. that sugests that they need the sustenance, which begs the question: where does that material go? %0D %0D also, with respect to the fictions in which the zombies are found to eat out of compulsion or reflext, as opposed to necessity, i've never seen a zombie rip open its gut to purge eaten flesh. that flesh has to go somewhere. these movies, novels, etc. never explain that problem. %0D %0D will the walking dead?%0D

by Anonymousreply 711/09/2010

r6 -- i haven't read World War Z. THAT is a satisfying answer.

by Anonymousreply 811/09/2010

So I take it Zombies really don't have any need for cook books.

by Anonymousreply 911/09/2010

So everyone doesn't poop?

by Anonymousreply 1011/09/2010

Well, R10--it's not exactly "poop," but sometimes putrifying flesh does leak out of the rear end as the result of gravity.

by Anonymousreply 1111/09/2010

Butterfish has the same effect, r11.

by Anonymousreply 1211/09/2010

I always figured that since zombies are continuously in a state of decay, they need fresh brains to replenish their decaying flesh-like matter. They don't have the same biology as humans, exactly (duh) but they do require new cells to rejuvenate them according to the laws of zombie-science.

by Anonymousreply 1311/09/2010

I eat Christine O'Donnell's excrement.

by Anonymousreply 1411/09/2010

There are several types of fictional zombies, from the voodoo-type zombie ([italic]White Zombie, Serpent & the Rainbow[/italic]) to chemically reanimated ([italic]Night of the Living Dead[/italic]) to chemically mutated ([italic]Return of the Living Dead[/italic], [italic]Resident Evil[/italic] series, "House of the Dead" video game) to pathogenically mutated ([italic]28 Days Later[/italic], [italic]World War Z[/italic]). Max Brooks, in his book [italic]The Zombie Survival Guide[/italic], defines zombies as pathogenically mutated, that is, the Solanum virus affects a human host, kills it, then takes control of the brain, hence the need for a headshot to kill the zombie.

by Anonymousreply 1511/10/2010

And their pussies stink.

by Anonymousreply 1611/10/2010

It's all here for you OP.

by Anonymousreply 1811/10/2010

I left a monster zombie turd in the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 1911/10/2010

One of the best parts of '28 Days Later' was at the end -- seeing all of the zombies dying on the road in the countryside from starvation, because that's just what would happen if zombies existed.

by Anonymousreply 2011/11/2010

In The Walking Dead the zombies ate a horse. Do they crave any living flesh? I thought it was just humans, and specifically human brains.

by Anonymousreply 2111/11/2010

"28 Days Later" does not have zombies. They are humans infected with the "Rage" virus. They can die like any other human.

by Anonymousreply 2211/11/2010

[bold]All Life on Earth Could Have Come From Alien Zombies[/bold]

Life on Earth could have grown from the broken remains of alien viruses that, although dead, still contained enough information to give rise to new life.

Scientists have speculated that life could have come to Earth from space %E2%80%94 a notion called panspermia %E2%80%94 since the 1870s, when Lord Kelvin suggested microbes could have ridden here on a comet or meteor. Others have suggested tiny organisms could cross the galaxy embedded in dust grains, which could be nudged from one planetary system to another by the slight pressure of stars' radiation.

However, most astrobiologists think that same radiation spells a death sentence for delicate microbes.

"That essentially kills panspermia in the classical sense," said astrobiologist Rocco Mancinelli of the SETI Institute in Mountain View, California.

But maybe not, says astronomer Paul Wesson, a visiting researcher at the Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics in Canada. In an upcoming paper in Space Science Reviews, Wesson argues that even if the actual microbes are dead on arrival, the information they carry could allow life to rise from the charred remains, an idea he calls necropanspermia.

"The vast majority of organisms reach a new home in the Milky Way in a technically dead state," Wesson wrote. "Resurrection may, however, be possible."

[Continued at link.]

by Anonymousreply 2311/11/2010

An episode of Torchwod dealt with this. Can't remember which one. The character of Owen became one of the living dead and had to purge what he had ingested. It was pretty gross.

by Anonymousreply 2411/11/2010

All I know is that to keep ME alive, my followers need to regularly ingest crackers and wine!

by Anonymousreply 2511/11/2010

Personally I think it would have been awesome to have had Owen go through the hub eating people's brains. Although wouldn't Jack be like an all-you-can-eat-forever buffet?

by Anonymousreply 2611/12/2010

I think the flesh and brains dissolve by some strange acidic material that the zombies possess due to their bodies mutating, therefore they are always wanting MORE!

by Anonymousreply 2711/13/2012

The Complete Injection Molding Process The two most popular kinds of IMM are the single-stage and the two-stage; there are also molding units with three or more stages. The single-stage IMM is also known as the reciprocating-screw IMM. The two-stage IMM also has other names, such as the piggyback IMM. It is comparable in some ways to a continuous extruder. The IMM has three basic components: the injection unit, the mold, and the clamping system. The injection unit, also called the plasticator, prepares the proper plastic melt and via the injection unit transfers the melt into the next component that is the mold.    The clamping system closes and opens the mold.

by Anonymousreply 2809/08/2013

I love R25.

by Anonymousreply 2909/08/2013

R25 is correct.

Christianity's most important ceremony involves ritual human sacrifice and cannibalism.

by Anonymousreply 3009/08/2013

As long as they can get an erection, it's all good.

by Anonymousreply 3109/08/2013

R30 Nice try, but Jesus himself, alive, instituted the Eucharist with bread and wine, symbolizing sacrifice. Building on the unleavened bread and blood from the Passover tradition, now sacrificing the self, not others.

But nice try, debasing something noble into schlock.

by Anonymousreply 3209/08/2013

They used to do something similar to incite antisemitism, but the blood libel would be a no-no on an enlightened place like the DL, right?

by Anonymousreply 3309/08/2013

I'm curious about R6's statement, even though it was written three years ago. I haven't read the book, but the movie "World War Z" provides zero explanation about how its zombies manage not only to live after death, but also move many times faster than humans. (Come to think of it, one can say the same thing about "I Am Legend.")

I'd be much more curious to hear how "hepatitis-V" has managed to infect much of the vamp world in "True Blood," even though it's a virus and thus impossible to host inside an undead being (a plot point discussed in "World War Z," actually).

by Anonymousreply 3409/08/2013

r32 has never heard of Transubstantiation.

by Anonymousreply 3509/08/2013

I could never get into Max Brooks' books but I enjoyed "The Zombie Autopsies."

The bottom line is that you can't be both dead and alive, so zombies can't exist.

by Anonymousreply 3609/08/2013

In terms of faster, my guess is it's because they don't tire. They can push through and continue on, where we have to rejuvenate. They might not be faster in the short term, but in the long term they are.

I have to write an essay to get a scholarship, based on what I would do with the zombie apocalypse. My best guess is to barricade myself in a boat in the middle of a deep lake. Zombies can't swim. But then there's ennui, sustenance and warmth to consider.

by Anonymousreply 3709/08/2013

Do they do other things out of "compulsion", too? Like blow jobs?

by Anonymousreply 3809/08/2013

Years ago there was a web series on Youtube where the plot hinged on this question. Had a few recognizable actors and decent production values. Essentially, a post zombie apocalypse think tank wondered - where do they put it all? The zombies NEVER had to take a shit, all that eaten flesh and no excrement. Eventually it was discovered that it was a type of alien possession, like vampirism, and the eaten flesh was being sent elsewhere through some kind of portal located inside the zombies. First episode ended on a fun cliffhanger and I always meant to follow up on it. But trying to find it on Youtube amid a sea of cheap zombie Youtube shorts and series seems impossible.

On the Walking Dead, they essentially suggested that one of the characters was *eaten entirely* by one Walker with an extended stomach. Really silly.

by Anonymousreply 3909/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!