Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Movies so bad or controversial that they largely ended genuinely thriving acting careers

From the Jill Clayburgh RIP thread--it was widely considered there that "Luna" ended her career.

Some others that fit the criteria:

Mommie Dearest: Faye Dunaway (probably the most famous example)

Two Faced Woman: Greta Garbo

Batman and Robin: Alicia Silverstone

Xanadu: Michael Beck

by Anonymousreply 23705/22/2013

"Perfect" ended Travolta's movie career and consigned him to the hell of "Look Who's Talking" and its sequels, until "Pulp Fiction" performed a career-resurrection for him.

by Anonymousreply 111/06/2010

Lucky Lady: Liza Minnelli

by Anonymousreply 211/06/2010

Actually, "Look Who's Talking" was considered a career resurrection for Travolta at the time. It may have been crap but it was POPULAR crap and he hadn't been in anything with mainstream success in years.

And I think it was the one-two punch of "Two Of A Kind" and "Staying Alive" in 1983 that really killed his career the first time around. "Perfect" and "The Experts" just cemented his status as an a fallen former A-lister.

by Anonymousreply 311/06/2010

by Anonymousreply 411/06/2010

Faye was on a downward trajectory almost from the moment she won the Oscar for "Network". It started with "The Eyes of Laura Mars" then "The Wicked Lady". "Mommie Dearest" is a masterpiece compared to most of the crap she made around this period. That movie didn't end her career; it was a combination of age, bad choices, limited roles and the fact that she was a nightmare to work with that caused her career to go into decline. In fact, "Mommie Dearest" stands out as the best thing she did until "Barfly".

by Anonymousreply 511/06/2010

Ally Sheedy, "Maid To Order"; Cher, "Mermaids"; Bridget Fonda, "Point Of No Return"; Melanie Griffith, "Bonfire of the Vanities"; Debra Winger, "Leap Of Faith"; Sean Young, "Fatal Instinct"; Patricia Arquette, "Stigmata"; David Bowie, "The Linguini Incident"; Carol Burnett, "Annie"; Charlie Sheen, "Terminal Velocity"; Rosie O'Donnell, "The Flintstones"; Madonna, "The Next Best Thing"...

by Anonymousreply 611/06/2010

"just cemented his status as an a fallen former A-lister."

True, r3... And also at that same time, the culture itself seemed to take a reactionary turn against disco and the 70s... and Travolta--because of Saturday Night Fever--was synonymous with both.

by Anonymousreply 711/06/2010

R6--Madge didn't exactly have a thriving acting career for The Next Best Thing to derail.

by Anonymousreply 811/06/2010

Re Ms. Clayburgh and the damage Luna did to her career.

This isn't precisely on topic, but what does an actor do after a peak project? Extremely hard to follow up something like An Unmarried Woman, I would think.

Could it be a combo of a strong project eventually followed by a destructive one? The momentum following a career defining role could keep one going through lesser roles, as long as you don't get that bomb?

by Anonymousreply 911/06/2010

I hardly think "Mermaids" derailed Cher's career, R6. I remember it being a fairly big hit.

I think all those infomercials she did as being more hurtful to her movie career. Also, bad plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 1011/06/2010

If Two-Faced Woman had been released sooner, it would not have been the end. It was the war.

by Anonymousreply 1111/06/2010

Elizabeth Ashley was done in by "Windows." It was an artsy HBO psycho-lesbo-explotaition flick. %0D She stayed employed mostly by doing television guest roles. %0D

by Anonymousreply 1211/06/2010

Somebody Killed her Husband starring Farrah Fawcett. She was at the apex of it all at that point.

by Anonymousreply 1311/06/2010

Was it "Luna" that killed Jill's career? I don't think so. Her next film after "Luna" was "Starting Over", for which she got her second Oscar nomination and great reviews, and that was followed by "It's My Turn", "First Monday in October" and "I'm Dancing As Fast As I Can", all three of which were vehicles for her and for which she got top billing. "Luna" may have been a detour, but it was an "art" film, so even if it was a box office failure, she wasn't to blame was much as Bertolucci, who didn't make another film for 7 years after that...

I think "I'm Dancing...", which had been a best-selling book and was highly anticipated, was the film that ended things - it really wasn't very good at all. Also, Jill hit the big 4-0 right around the time it was released, and there were younger actresses waiting to take her place as a leading lady (Meryl Streep, for example, became a leading lady around the time Jill's film career foundered).

by Anonymousreply 1411/06/2010

A Different Story -- Meg Foster

by Anonymousreply 1511/06/2010

"Striptease" pretty much ended Demi Moore's career, "G.I. Jane" was the final nail.

She went from "highest paid actress in Hollywood" to "who?"

by Anonymousreply 1611/06/2010

[quote] Faye was on a downward trajectory almost from the moment she won the Oscar for "Network". It started with "The Eyes of Laura Mars" then "The Wicked Lady". "Mommie Dearest" is a masterpiece compared to most of the crap she made around this period.%0D %0D The fall of any illustrious career is never on account of just one movie. A-list stars are given a few chances to fail, sometimes in multiple media. %0D %0D I think what OP is looking for is that one movie or project (an infommercial, for instance) that seals the fate. Hence "Perfect" and "Mommie Dearest" are actually excellent examples.%0D %0D Don't pick on someone's answer just because it was not the star's first flop.%0D %0D I think Al Pacino is nearing that point, if it didn't already become a done deal with that football movie he did with a bunch of stars

by Anonymousreply 1711/06/2010

It seems much more common with women than with male stars, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 1811/06/2010

Actually when I gave up on DeNiro was during that long-running one joke franchise called Analyze This and Analyze That.%0D %0D I know they were hits. I don't understand how or why.

by Anonymousreply 1911/06/2010

Alexander almost killed Colin Farrell's carrer

by Anonymousreply 2011/06/2010

I thought "YOU'RE OUT OF ORDER! YOU'RE OUT OF ORDER! THIS WHOLE COURT IS OUT OF ORDER!" would be the end for Pacino.

by Anonymousreply 2111/06/2010

[quote]Somebody Killed her Husband starring Farrah Fawcett. She was at the apex of it all at that point. was nicknamed "Somebody Killed Her Career" at the time it came out.

by Anonymousreply 2211/06/2010

Who in Showgirls had a genuinely thriving acting career?

by Anonymousreply 2311/06/2010

[quote]I think Al Pacino is nearing that point, if it didn't already become a done deal with that football movie he did with a bunch of stars

I think it was that film Simone, or however it is spelled. But I think Al realized he was becoming a joke and started choosing better projects. He got great reviews for Angels in America and You don't know Jack. Also, he's getting great reviews for his theater work.

by Anonymousreply 2411/06/2010

"Gigli" ended Jennifer Lopez, and it practically ended Ben Affleck until "The Town."

by Anonymousreply 2511/06/2010

Though a bit off topic, Billy Squire had that music video that even he admits killed his career....

by Anonymousreply 2611/06/2010

With all that shouting Pacino did (and he was shouting as early as [italic]Serpico[/italic]), I started wondering whether he had a hearing problem and was too vain to seek treatment.

by Anonymousreply 2711/06/2010

BritBrit "Crossroads".

by Anonymousreply 2811/06/2010

Crossroads only proved that Britney couldn't act.

Much like "Fair Game" with Cindy Crawford.

It didn't end a "thriving" acting career.

by Anonymousreply 2911/06/2010

I think it was "Rhinestone" or "Best Little Whorehouse In Texas" for the world's friendliest country star. Whichever came last (it was the two in a row thing that did it).%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3011/06/2010

I agree with r14, it wasn't La Luna that destroyed Clayburgh's career, because she continued to appear in major projects after that.%0D %0D Nobody has mentioned Hanna K. (1983), which SHOULD have been a major film, as it starred Clayburgh and was directed by Costa-Gravas, who was just coming off the Oscar-nominated Missing (1982), but it bombed big time. She then didn't appear in another movie for 3 years after that.

by Anonymousreply 3111/06/2010

"Ishtar" made funeral arrangements, "Dick Tracy" provided IV support, and "Bugsy" came up with a meds cocktail. But then "Love Affair" flatlined at the ER, "Bulworth" dug the grave, "Town & Country" nailed the coffin, and the aging leading man thing poured on the dirt - on Warren Beatty's acting career.

by Anonymousreply 3211/06/2010

Dennis Christopher.%0D %0D "Breaking Away" to, next, "Fade to Black" are appropriate film titles to describe his career.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3411/06/2010

If there's a God, "Country Strong" will do the trick.

by Anonymousreply 3611/06/2010

"'The Warriors' opened every door in Hollywood for me, and 'Xanadu' closed them again." -- Michael Beck

by Anonymousreply 3711/06/2010

"Fur" for Nicole Kidman. She's never really bounced back from that flop.

by Anonymousreply 3811/06/2010

"Shanghai Surprise" for Madonna

by Anonymousreply 3911/06/2010

"Land Of The Lost" (after several disappointments like "Bewitched" and "Step Brothers") may be it for Will Ferrell

by Anonymousreply 4011/06/2010

This thread is owned by Jim Caviezel.

"Passion Of The Christ", anyone?

by Anonymousreply 4111/06/2010

[quote]This thread is owned by Jim Caviezel.%0D "Passion Of The Christ", anyone?%0D %0D No, thanks, I'll pass, since I have no idea who or what movie you are talking about.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4211/06/2010

"Town and Country" is an excellent example. It ended Beatty's career, because it was a massive flop that grossed like 5% of his budget, and actor-producer Beatty was blamed. %0D %0D Found this after 10 seconds of googling:%0D %0D [quote]The costly comedy, which co-starred former flame Diane Keaton and Garry Shandling, quickly ran into production troubles, most notably from producer Beatty himself, who insisted on countless retakes. Shooting ran on into 1999, and several cast members (including Keaton and Shandling) had to take leave of the film to work on other projects. [/quote]%0D %0D Sounds like no one wanted to work with him after that, or trust him with a budget.

by Anonymousreply 4311/06/2010

"It seems much more common with women than with male stars, doesn't it?"%0D %0D Female stars are not valued as much in Hollywood as male stars are; therefore, a male star can make bomb after bomb after bomb and still get work whereas if a female star appears in one or two bombs, her career is considered over and is rarely given a chance to rebound.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4411/06/2010

Beatty was be no means still a major star when "Town & Country" was released. He'd already been relegated to that unfortunate category of "veteran actor."

by Anonymousreply 4511/06/2010

THE GENERAL is a classic today but it was critically-panned and a costly flop when it came out in the 1920s. Its failure ended Buster Keaton's career as an independent filmmaker.

by Anonymousreply 4611/06/2010

Luna is actually a terrible example for this thread. %0D %0D However, while Luna certainly didn't end Jill's film career, what it may have done was prove that she was only acceptable to audiences as a loveable comedic loser.

by Anonymousreply 4711/06/2010

Glennie in "The Big Chill", but then you can't really kill something that never thrived in the first place, can you?

by Anonymousreply 4811/06/2010

[quote]"Fur" for Nicole Kidman. She's never really bounced back from that flop.

Was that really the first one? The Human Stain, Cold Mountain, The Stepford Wives, Bewitched... all these were made before Fur. I think Kidman holds the record for the longest string of flops... and she's still in demand!!!

Meg Ryan never recovered from Proof of Life and In the Cut didn't exactly help (thought I love Jane and will watch anything she does).

by Anonymousreply 4911/06/2010

r41, are you serious? The film was a success, and Jim was great in it.

by Anonymousreply 5011/06/2010

[quote]Was that really the first one?%0D %0D No, but we're not looking for a first flop now, are we? Otherwise the answer for Elizabeth Taylor would be "Cleopatra", which makes no sense at all, since she went on to do "Who's Afraid Of Virginia Wolf?" afterwards, which earned her a second Oscar (and the only one she truly deserved).%0D %0D We're looking for fate-sealers, nails on coffins.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5111/06/2010

John Travolta and Lily Tomlin in "Moment by Moment"

by Anonymousreply 5211/06/2010

"John Travolta and Lily Tomlin in "Moment by Moment" "%0D %0D John survived that crash, but Lily was DOA.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5311/06/2010

Travolta has had more nails in coffins than Elizabeth Taylor, and that's saying something.

Love him or hate him, he's had a pretty unusual run in movies.

by Anonymousreply 5411/06/2010

I don't know if Jim Cazivil (sp?) belongs on this thread, because "Passion of the Anti-Semites" did make big bucks.%0D %0D But it hurt his career anyway, because that film probably never made a cent from mainstream viewers - the wingnuts deliberately made it a hit. But to Hollywood and sensible viewers, Caziviel (sp?) became contaminated with Mel Gibson's brand of anti-semitic crazy, because he wouldn't have taken the role if he objected to the politics Mel put in the script, would he?

by Anonymousreply 5511/06/2010

Julie Andrews: Star%0D %0D Diana Ross: The Wiz %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5611/06/2010

Two Faced Women technically ended Garbo's career because of WWII, and the loss of the foreign market. Garbo turned down many scripts after the war. She would have been terrific in "I Remember Mama," but her vanity wouldn't allow her to play a mother.

by Anonymousreply 5711/06/2010

R41 He is actually a rather religious man who has done wholesome (B) movies and even produced an audio Bible with a rather fair cast. So, he is doing what he wishes. And I know far to much about that, btw:)

I cannot remember. But whatever movie Brendon (SP?) Frasier did which killed his career would be something, eh? I mean, that guy was doing well until he did the movie whose title I cannot recall.

by Anonymousreply 5811/06/2010

You would think that "Ishtar" would have killed a few careers...%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5911/06/2010

Did Ishtar kill Elaine May's career as a director?

by Anonymousreply 6011/06/2010

Which flop killed Ryan O'Neal's career? I'm guessing "Oliver's Story" was pretty much the final nail with "The Main Event" a desperate last ditch bid for popularity that failed. Crap like "So Fine" and "Partners" was the work of someone with no other career options.

by Anonymousreply 6111/06/2010

Bette Midler - For The Boys

by Anonymousreply 6211/06/2010

Rules of Attraction killed James Van Der Beek's movie career.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6311/06/2010

Geena Davis - That Pirate Movie%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6411/06/2010

Catwoman brought Halle Berry's big budget lead actress career to a halt.

by Anonymousreply 6511/06/2010

Kevin Costner in Water World. Oh and Rula Lenska in all those fucking hairspray commercials.

by Anonymousreply 6611/06/2010

[quote] Bette Midler - For The Boys.

Bette got an Oscar nomination for that one, so I don't think that's the one that torpedoed her film career as a leading lady. The NEXT film, however, was the insufferable "Scenes from A Mall" with Woody Allen, which was pretty dire. THAT'S probably the picture that ended it for her, not to mention Paul Mazursky's career as a writer and director.

by Anonymousreply 6711/06/2010

You're right Holly. For The Boys was actually a critical success, but one of those Hollywood anomalies where the audiences stayed away en masse. It brought in a measly 7 million dollars. I guess I was thinking in profit terms only, but your choice of "Scenes From A Mall" nails it right on the head.%0D %0D She's a perfect example of someone whose career did not die with the first flop ("Jinxed"), which is strangely the way some posters want to play this thread out.

by Anonymousreply 6811/06/2010

My home video

by Anonymousreply 6911/06/2010

{quote]I don't know if Jim Cazivil (sp?) belongs on this thread, because "Passion of the Anti-Semites" did make big bucks... but it hurt his career anyway, because that film probably never made a cent from mainstream viewers.

"The Passion Of The Christ" made $600 million world wide and could have made James Caviezel a superstar but he is a Holy Roller who only chooses roles that he feels will not defer from his faith. He turns down roles if they have love scenes etc. He does not belong on this list.

by Anonymousreply 7011/06/2010

Let's try to pinpoint Nicholas Cage.

by Anonymousreply 7111/06/2010

"Swept Away" mercifully ended a movie career that should have been stopped sixteen years prior with "Shanghai Surprise"%0D %0D And now she's directing.

by Anonymousreply 7211/06/2010

I think Garbo made a very wise choice in turning down I Remember Mama. Swedish or not, she was very ill-suited to the sentimental role of the warm-hearted and dowdy immigrant matriarch. The only aspect she would have nailed was the thick accent.

by Anonymousreply 7311/06/2010

For Nicholas Cage, I would like to say "Knowing." However, truth be told, with 5 films in the can or post-production, he still has a career.

by Anonymousreply 7411/06/2010

I'll say it again--Lady Madge never had a "thriving" acting career to ruin.

by Anonymousreply 7511/06/2010

Prince of Persia - Jake Gyllenhaal.%0D %0D No explanation necessary.

by Anonymousreply 7611/06/2010

Slightly OT, but Ann Reinking had a nice little movie career going until she sang "Against All Odds" at the Oscars. Movie career over.

by Anonymousreply 7711/06/2010

Did anyone mention ONJ in "Twist Of Fate" yet? I guess when you're not singing and dancing, your wooden acting style thrown into sharp relief. Of course, it paired her with a gay man so it was doomed from the start.

by Anonymousreply 7811/06/2010

Um, 'Grease' paired her with a gay man and it was a huge hit.

by Anonymousreply 7911/06/2010

Al Pacino's career WAS killed once already, in the late '70s-early '80s.

What did it? Take your pick: "Bobby Deerfield" (Sydney Pollack Euro-art race car movie with Marthe Keller), "Cruising," the execrable "Author, Author!" and certainly the absolutely unbelievable "Revolution," a Revolutionary War epic in which Pacino plays an immigrant of truly indeterminate accent alongside son Dexter Fletcher and very unlikely love interest Natassjia Kinski. Donald Sutherland also played the villain, a redcoat general of equally bizarre accent choice. And Annie Lennox at the height of Eurythmics fame cameoed as a barmaid who tries to lynch Pacino in the opening mins, leading to Pacino howling at the crowd "noooo!! git auf my boat!"

He recovered with "Sea Of Love" and has been back since. He does a lot of shit these days amidst a few good films, but he has never stopped working and being very much in demand. So no, Al does not currently qualify for the list.

by Anonymousreply 8011/06/2010

Burlesque - Cher

by Anonymousreply 8111/06/2010

It was the infomercials that killed Cher but to honest, I really don't think she cared.%0D %0D Mermaids was a good film.

by Anonymousreply 8211/06/2010

I loved Mermaids!

by Anonymousreply 8311/06/2010

What happened to the guy in Mermaids. He was going to be a big star. Was it Matt Dillon?

by Anonymousreply 8411/06/2010

r73, don't get confused with your personal opinion.

by Anonymousreply 8611/06/2010

Brendan Fraser's career feel apart with "Looney Tunes."

by Anonymousreply 8711/06/2010

Klinton Spilsbury--The Legend of the Lone Ranger%0D %0D Bo Derek--Tarzan%0D %0D Carroll Baker--Harlow%0D %0D Patty Duke-Valley of the Dolls%0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 8811/06/2010

Speaking of Mermaids, what killed Christina Ricci's career?

by Anonymousreply 8911/06/2010

Luna was provocative but hardly controversial in the sense it would damage a career, and has been said Clayburgh's career was fine after Luna.

Clayburgh's career went south for the same reason the careers of most of her contemporaries did. There was little enough quality work for women during their brief periods of success. Roles became even more rare as they got a bit older.

by Anonymousreply 9011/06/2010

Superman killed any hope Brandon Routh ever had of being a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 9111/06/2010

I remember Gene Shalit's review of Ishtar: Ishtar, ish tarrible.

by Anonymousreply 9211/06/2010

Brandon Routh had no hope of being a movie star BEFORE Superman Returns, so it doesn't count.

by Anonymousreply 9311/06/2010

And didn't Ms. Clayburgh decide to focus more on family?

by Anonymousreply 9411/06/2010

Since male actors have more power than female ones, couldn't any of the male stars wield their power to get women over 40 hired and at least attempt to make Hollywood slightly more equitable towards women? I never hear any of them speak up about this inequity.

by Anonymousreply 9511/06/2010

What killed William Hurt's career? He was THE leading-man-type-guy for a year or so - not just perfectly blandly handsome, but also allegedly a "great actor" - though I always found him kind of twitchy. He was sort of the Sean Penn of his moment. Then he disappeared after his girlfriend Marlee Matlin got an Oscar, didn't he? And he didn't come back until recently, looking puffy and bloated and balding, doing character parts, and being - in my opinion - a better actor.

What derailed him the first time?

by Anonymousreply 9611/06/2010

Drugs and jealousy?

by Anonymousreply 9711/06/2010

Kevin Spacey - Beyond The Sea or whatever the name was of that Bobby Darin thing who should have starred someone more charismatic, like John Cusack or Hugh Jackman

by Anonymousreply 9811/06/2010

William Hurt didn't have the bomb that destroyed his career. He got the build-up, he got the Oscar, he may have had the follow through issue, but also I don't believe the public ever bought into him and made him a star. Plus I always thought he was overrated--not a bad actor, but not special. And I think the fact he has a rep for being difficult has hurt him, since he didn't have corresponding box office clout.

by Anonymousreply 9911/06/2010

Woody Harrelson and "Kingpin", maybe. He was a hot property for a while in the 1990s then he did "Kingpin" and everyone laughed at him. But maybe they just realized he didn't have any range. His roles dwindled to B movies until "No Country For Old Men" semi-resurrected his career.

by Anonymousreply 10011/06/2010

[quote]The NEXT film, however, was the insufferable "Scenes from A Mall" with Woody Allen, which was pretty dire.

That's the only movie where I cared more about a prop (the sushi) than I did about any human being in the film.

by Anonymousreply 10111/06/2010

Actually, though it is correct to say that The General was a disappointment at the box office, Buster Keaton's The Cameraman was a hit. Keaton didn't have a sort of mega-bomb that killed his career, like those being discussed here. He remained a star and made pictures long after he went to MGM and lost creative control. It was only when his drinking made him so impossible to work with that MGM cut him loose, which had nothing to do with any decline in audience appreciation for him.

by Anonymousreply 10211/06/2010

Kathleen Turner - V.I. Warshawski

by Anonymousreply 10311/06/2010

Halle Berry - Catwoman

by Anonymousreply 10411/06/2010

Are you really, R102? Eleanor was a nice lady but a bit cranky when I met her.

by Anonymousreply 10511/06/2010

R84, that guy was Michael Schoeffling. Perhaps better known as Jake Ryan from "Sixteen Candles".

He was very hot. OK as an actor, but he tired of H'wood, and ended up retiring and moving to a small town in PA. I've heard his daughter Scarlett was kind of a bitch in high school, but she graduated a couple of years ago, so maybe she's grown up a little.

by Anonymousreply 10611/07/2010

so many stars have survived so many bad and controversial movies, that your premise doesn't cut water, OP.

Look no further than Tom Hanks after Bonfire, Burt Reynolds after At Long Last Love, or Kevin Costner after Water World.

by Anonymousreply 10711/07/2010

Kevin Costner after "Water World" survived, but Kevin Costner did not survive after "the Postman."

It's not primarily a question of a film wrecking your career with the studios, r107--that rarely happens. You have to have a bunch of flops if you've been a moneymaker for them to consider you over (and even then they'll keep trying--look at the careers of Sylvester Stallone and Russell Crowe, and neither has had a hit in years).

it's more of a matter when the public decides they don't really want to see you anymore. Sometimes it's a question of a public relations disaster (such as the phone throwing incident that Crowe has as of yet been unable to bounce back from), and sometimes it's a movie, such as MOMMIE DEAREST for Faye Dunaway or THE CABLE GUY for Jim Carrey. The public just decides they're fed up with you and don;t want to see you anymore: the studios will often still try to put you in leading roles (like they've done with Crowe and Carrey), but even so you can;t get a hit if your life depends upon it.

by Anonymousreply 10811/07/2010

I'm available! Seriously, I'm TOTALLY available!

by Anonymousreply 10911/07/2010

Is there a link to Anne Reinking performing "Against All Odds" at the Oscars? I didn't know she could sing.

by Anonymousreply 11011/07/2010

Uh-oh, r110, you fed us the line so it has to be said.%0D %0D [quote]I didn't know she could sing.%0D %0D She can't

by Anonymousreply 11111/07/2010

[quote]Julie Andrews: Star

No. "S.O.B.", "Victor/Victoria", "Princess Diaries" 1 and 2, "Shrek" 2 and 3 and Forever After, and "Despicible Me" prove you wrong.

by Anonymousreply 11211/07/2010

Besides those interrupted by death, have any stars gone out on top? You know, they sat down one day and said, "I'm getting too old for this shit, and I'll look ridiculous soon." %0D %0D I understand that was Cary Grant's and Jane Fonda's spin (Goldie Hawn?). But were those just fronts for declining careers or were they really still bankable, perhaps as supporting actors...?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 11311/07/2010

I remember the controversy about "American Psycho".They wanted Leo for it,and he ran from it. Too controversial, a career destroyer. Bad for his image, etc.%0D Christian Bale couldn't get arrested,and went after the part. The rest is history.%0D %0D People like Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro, etc. are immune from bad decisions. But I have to wonder when I see someone like Denzel playing in "Book of Eli". I mean WTF is that all about.%0D Now he's doing this runaway train crap with Chris Pine, and he had Pelham 123 out less than three years ago. %0D %0D Russell Crowe works because he has relationships with certain director/producers like Ron Howard and Ridley Scott. They know what he's like, and they work with him. They are also credible enough to get financing. %0D %0D Actually, as long as he's on his meds, and doesn't drink he's OK. I saw a clip of him singing and dancing on stage when he appeared in the Rocky Horror Picture Show in Australia, as a young man.

by Anonymousreply 11411/07/2010

[quote]Besides those interrupted by death, have any stars gone out on top?

How about Deanna Durbin or Ruby Keeler?

by Anonymousreply 11511/07/2010

Stars that went out on top?

Charlie Chaplin, Garbo, Gene Kelly (except for Xanadu), Princess Grace, Doris Day, Robert Redford it is starting to look like, Katherine and Audrey Hepburn, Al Jolson, and Clay Aiken.

by Anonymousreply 11611/07/2010

"Clay Aiken"? Check your PBS stations!

by Anonymousreply 11711/07/2010

That was impressive r116.%0D %0D Though I think you'll get some flack about Redford and, especially, Day. According to that hottie on TMC, her last few movies bombed because her audience thinned out with the new young generation of the late sixties that considered her square and old-fashioned. She was smart enough to realize this, principled enough to not relent, and gracious enough to bow out.

by Anonymousreply 11811/07/2010

Oh, for crying out loud, Reinking is fine.

She's not the world's best vocalist, but she's not Roseanne Barr singing the national anthem, either.

by Anonymousreply 11911/07/2010

[quote]Brendan Fraser's career feel apart with "Looney Tunes."

I thought it fell apart when he started looking like Rodney Dangerfield.

by Anonymousreply 12011/07/2010

Ah yes, Joachin Phoenix's "I'm Still Here". First he convinced the world he was insane and on drugs, then he came out and said that he was just a massive douchebag who despised his fans instead. I can't imagine that his career will ever recover. %0D %0D As for going out on top... Cary Grant pretty much did. He was still popular and doing leading roles when he called it quits - maybe not #1 at the box-office, but nowhere near a has-been. But he knew he was getting too old to get the girl, and didn't want to transition to character roles. So, he retired of his own free will and never regretted it. %0D %0D James Cagney did the same, voluntarily retired to his farm after doing well during the fifties and finishing with a big hit - Billy Wilder's "One Two Three".

by Anonymousreply 12111/07/2010

But don't you think, r119, that one should be better than just able to carry a tune (which she really can't even do at least in the clip you provided) to get to SING - not dance, speak through, or act out - a nominated song at the Oscars?%0D %0D Who was she fucking?%0D %0D Oh yes, that's right.

by Anonymousreply 12211/07/2010

Twilight Zone: The Movie - Vic Morrow

by Anonymousreply 12311/07/2010

R121, Cagney was coaxed out of retirement for a supporting role in RAGTIME in the 80s to a worldwide collective yawn. Worst decision he ever made. Tarnished his legend a bit, frankly.%0D He died shortly afte,r partly from the disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 12411/07/2010

That awful thing she directed with Bette midler as her mother killed Helen Hunt's movie career. GOOD!

by Anonymousreply 12511/07/2010

"Love, Valour, Compassiom" killed Jason Alexander's.

by Anonymousreply 12611/07/2010

I remember Reinking even came onstage as a presenter after her atrocious performance. She became a laughingstock. Phil Collins introduced the song at concerts by saying that Ann Reinking won't be here to perform it.

by Anonymousreply 12711/07/2010

r116 you'd have to list the final few films of some of those stars who "went out on top" to see you couldn't be more mistaken.%0D %0D Gene Kelly (pre-Xanadu), Doris Day, both Hepburns and even Garbo all finished their film careers with absolute stinkers. But I'll give you this....they all had long runs.%0D %0D Princess Grace was lucky. She had a comparatively short career though even The Swan (her swan song) was a dud.

by Anonymousreply 12811/07/2010

Uma Thurman- She squandered any Kill Bill momentum with My Super Ex Girlfriend.

Supposedly there is going to be a Kill Bill 3. She needs it.

by Anonymousreply 12911/07/2010

"No. "S.O.B.", "Victor/Victoria", "Princess Diaries" 1 and 2, "Shrek" 2 and 3 and Forever After, and "Despicible Me" prove you wrong."%0D %0D There is a big difference in being the top draw in the world and parts in flops directed by your husband, grandmother parts, voice overs, etc.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 13011/07/2010

There was a time in the 30s and 40s when Al Jolson was considered a has-been; it was only at the dawn of the Sound Era that he was considered a big star (and that's because of "The Jazz Singer"). By the mid-30s he was considered old fashioned, and played supporting parts in Alice Faye movies, and stopped getting film roles by 1940.

It was only "The Jolson Story" that brought him back into the limelight, and even then he didn't appear on-screen, only dubbed Larry Parks' singing. The film did give Jolson the comeback he so desired, but it didn't last long and he still never made another film appearance, only his voice again in the Jolson Story sequel.

So he really doesn't belong on that list of those who went out "on top"...

by Anonymousreply 13111/07/2010

"Two-Faced Woman" didn't end Garbo's career. She just retired after that. She'd been making movies since she was a teenager and just didn't want to do it anymore.%0D %0D "Beloved" put an end to Oprah Winfrey's acting career. She was bound and determined to be a "great actress" who would surely win an Oscar and was totally convinced she could do it. "Beloved" was an ill-advised, bloated vanity project that revealed Winfrey was a mediocre actress, at best.

by Anonymousreply 13211/07/2010

I guess Norma Shearer was one who went out voluntarily and relatively on top. %0D %0D Though her last couple of films after The Women and Idiot's Delight were not box office hits, they were still considered MGM A-list products (Her Cardboard Lover and...something else?) and she turned down Mrs. Miniver as she waved goodbye to the studio with Irving's stock holdings firmly stuffed in her purse.%0D %0D Did Marlene Dietrich have any clinkers at the end of her long film career? She continued to work in Vegas and concerts for so long after her movie retirement, I can't remember. Was Judgment at Nuremberg her final film?

by Anonymousreply 13311/07/2010

Hmmm... Dietrich... Her film appearances got rarer in the fities and sixties, but were fairly well recieved when they happened. I suspect she left film more or less voluntarily, when she realized it was easier to look young on stage than on film. She couldn't accept the aging process at all.%0D %0D I'm rather glad she lived then, and not now. In an age of common and easy plastic surgery, she'd look more frightening than Joyce Wildenstein.

by Anonymousreply 13411/07/2010

Carole Lombard's exit was pretty high, too.

by Anonymousreply 13511/07/2010

Most big careers don't end with a bang but with a whimper.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 13611/07/2010

Oh yeah, ask Gloria Stuart.

by Anonymousreply 13711/07/2010

Al Pacino in Crusing

by Anonymousreply 13811/07/2010

r135, I hope Clark haunts you for the rest of your life.

by Anonymousreply 13911/07/2010

"Yes, Georgio" killed any hope that Luciano Pavarotti had of transitioning to a film career.

Halle Berry, "Catwoman"

Not an actor, but "Heaven's Gate" completely destroyed director Michael Cimino's career.

by Anonymousreply 14011/07/2010

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Catwoman for Halle Berry, at all.

by Anonymousreply 14111/07/2010

Look one post behind you.

by Anonymousreply 14211/07/2010

Has anyone suggested Halle Berry for "Catwoman" yet?

by Anonymousreply 14311/07/2010

Really, r140, r142?!%0D %0D How about you look 140 posts behind you :)

by Anonymousreply 14411/07/2010

Let me be the first one to remember Berry's career killer - Catwoman.

by Anonymousreply 14511/07/2010

Oh I got one! Hal E. Barry in Feline Female.

by Anonymousreply 14611/07/2010

Catwoman killed my career!!

by Anonymousreply 14711/07/2010

Psycho fucked up Anthony Perkins career...ruined it entirely.%0D %0D Bill & Ted ruined Alex Winter's career.

by Anonymousreply 14811/07/2010

Catwoman was about as bad as it could get....then their was Showgirls...God help us.

by Anonymousreply 14911/07/2010

I like you r135, r145. You're succint and funny. :)

by Anonymousreply 15011/07/2010

Uma has been in some terrible films but My Super Ex Girlfriend was the worst. Dangerous Liasons, was her best.

by Anonymousreply 15111/07/2010

One thing is for sure, no film ever managed to kill Michael Caine's career. And he was in so many stinkers.

by Anonymousreply 15211/07/2010

He wasn't in Catwoman, R152.

by Anonymousreply 15311/07/2010

"Psycho fucked up Anthony Perkins career...ruined it entirely."%0D %0D It didn't ruin his career. It did typecast him, which was unfortunate.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 15411/07/2010

Ken Berry's daughter Halle was in a stinker, I think it was called Pussy Girl, or Kitty Lady or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 15511/07/2010

I wouldn't say their careers were thriving, but Julian Sands and Sherilyn Fenn could at least get work before Boxing Helena.

by Anonymousreply 15611/07/2010

Didn't Brown Bunny kill Vincent Gallo and Chlo%C3%AB Sevigny's careers?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 15711/07/2010

Orlando Bloom - Elizabethtown

by Anonymousreply 15811/07/2010

I didn't think Farrah Fawcett had a movie career other than on TV. And that girl on "Showgirls", well, how far can you fall after "Saved By the Bell"?%0D %0D As for Travolta, what was the name of that stupid-ass science fiction movie he did because it was a Scientology thing?

by Anonymousreply 15911/07/2010

Tobey McGuire killed Spiderman.

by Anonymousreply 16011/07/2010

Superman the television series killed George Reeves' film career.

by Anonymousreply 16111/07/2010

"I Dismember Mama" surely killed the great Zooey Hall's career.

by Anonymousreply 16211/07/2010

How about John Gilbert's career being killed by gayvoice in "His Glorious Night"?

by Anonymousreply 16311/07/2010

I think a 22 year battle with leukemia is what killed Jill's career. Think about it, the time at which most people are saying she started going down hill matches the time at which she was first diagnosed. What person, given a major production is going to hire Jill for a big role with all it would cost to insure her, and not knowing if the leukemia would interrupt filming. It's too risky, like hiring Lindsey Lohan, the only people willing to do it are people with projects not worth seeing on their own merit.

by Anonymousreply 16411/07/2010

LOL at "S.O.B." being proof of a thriving acting career.%0D %0D Although your point is taken, r112, that Julie Andrews has continued to work for decades and has certainly carved out a niche for herself in her golden years, still, it is amazing how quickly she went from being the #1 box office draw to a 10-year dry spell when she was only in two movies, THE TAMARIND SEED and a supporting part in 10. Granted, I'm sure she was offered some bad movies during that time that she turned down, but still, it was a preciptious drop.

by Anonymousreply 16511/07/2010

What is this, that I'm hearing?%0D %0D I killed someone's career?

by Anonymousreply 16611/07/2010

What really killed Julie Andrews career momentum was the one-two punch of STAR! followed by DARLING LILI. %0D %0D STAR! lost a whopping ten million 1968 dollars but DARLING LILI ran disastrously over budget and lost twice that much. As the star of two ruinous flops that nearly sunk two major studios it was clear that whatever hit-making powers Julie had ever possessed were gone.

by Anonymousreply 16711/07/2010

It was a weird sort of table-turning... STAR! and DARLING LILI were as bad as MARY POPPINS and THE SOUND OF MUSIC were good - and Julie was as wrongly suited to them and badly used in them as she had been perfectly suited to, and therefore brilliant in, MARY POPPINS and SOUND OF MUSIC

by Anonymousreply 16811/08/2010

[quote]How about John Gilbert's career being killed by gayvoice in "His Glorious Night"?

Death by gay voice!

by Anonymousreply 16911/08/2010

R116...Gay Aikens ended his career as a bottom.

by Anonymousreply 17011/08/2010

I don't think a bad movie ends someone's acting career. There are certain people that no one wants to see in a movie for starters. (I was forced to take a child to Baby Genuises II and choked when I saw Scott Baio in the opening credits).%0D There are "Q" ratings for products but years ago I read an article about Q ratings for actors and how certain ones no one likes.

by Anonymousreply 17111/08/2010

I could swear back when his sex messaging scandal hit, that it was determined he was actually all top.

by Anonymousreply 17211/08/2010

by Anonymousreply 17311/08/2010

John Gilbert's voice was messed with. Wow, I thought people knew that by now. Gilbert's career ended because of his emotional issues. My goodness, GARBO tried to help him make a comeback. Now you know if Garbo helped you out like that and you still can't get your shit together, you're at a loss. She wasn't trying to help anybody in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 17411/08/2010

It's not true that "The Brown Bunny" killed my career. I just thought that being on a cable TV show is artistically more challenging than carrying the burden of being the indie scene darling.

by Anonymousreply 17511/08/2010

Sofia Coppola's performa...wait, Sofia Coppola standing awkwardly and ugly in front of a camera and parroting lines from a script like a second grader in Godfather III effectively started and ruinously ended whatever kind of acting career she may have fantasized about. Notwithstanding her denials today about only ever wanting to be a mediocre, over-praised director, her acting in the film was so atrocious and amateurish that I know some people who saw it who still haven't completely recovered.

by Anonymousreply 17611/08/2010

176 needs to take a shit!

by Anonymousreply 17711/08/2010

Gigli pretty much killed Jennifer Lopez's movie career and almost killed Ben Affleck's one.

by Anonymousreply 17811/08/2010

r178, are you r25 who likes to hear themselves rerun, or is that just a cute coincidence

by Anonymousreply 17911/08/2010

A coincidence. I didn't have the patience to sift through 150+ posts.

by Anonymousreply 18011/08/2010

Leonard Goldberg (Charlie's Angel's co producer) got Farrah the lead in Foul Play as long as she stayed on Charlie's Angels and agreed to work around the filming of the the movie. She said no and it was a smash hit for Goldie Hawn.

by Anonymousreply 18111/08/2010

Pinocchio - Roberto Benigni

by Anonymousreply 18211/08/2010

NINE - Kate Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 18311/08/2010

I love how Hudson's terrible song and dance number was supposed to break new ground for her as a singer-dancer/triple threat performer.

Didn't work out so well, did it?

by Anonymousreply 18411/08/2010

WEHT 70s rage Lina Wertmueller? What killed her career?

by Anonymousreply 18511/08/2010

Lucky Number Slevin - Lucy Lui and Josh Hartnett

by Anonymousreply 18611/08/2010

I'm really not sure what killed Josh Hartnett...probably friends of Tom Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 18711/08/2010

What about Jennifer Jason Leigh? Her career was hot around 1994-95 ("Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Cirle" - "Dolores Claiborne" - "Hudsucker Proxy" and "Georgia") and then she was basically nowhere after 1996 and "Washington Square". Any theories?%0D

by Anonymousreply 18811/08/2010

I think MRS PARKER et al. was pretty much her point of no return, R188.

Her loyalists loved her as Dorothy Parker. Everyone else found her and the movie insufferable.

I did enjoy her in THE ANNIVERSARY PARTY playing her batshit crazy self.

by Anonymousreply 18911/09/2010

The Passion of The Christ basically killed Jim Caviezel's career.

by Anonymousreply 19011/09/2010

Oh, please. The Passion of the Christ didn't ruin his career. That's what fundies say to attack "liberal Hollywood"%0D %0D %0D %0D He was never a big star

by Anonymousreply 19111/09/2010

We already did Jim Caviezel. He recently did that awful Prisoner remake, so he's still going. %0D %0D Which movie killed Cuba Gooding's career? There are so many to choose from, but Boat Trip is my pick.

by Anonymousreply 19211/09/2010

R188, I remember Movieline doing a cover story on her in 1992 calling her "Future Oscar Winner" and I remember thinking "Talk about a kiss of death". She's lucky she can watch the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 19311/09/2010

George Clooney and a bathroom killed Josh Hartnett.

by Anonymousreply 19411/09/2010

Nice one r192. I would say either Boat Trip or Snow Dogs definitively killed Cuba's career. He blames Will Smith though.

Radio didn't help ...

by Anonymousreply 19511/10/2010

Watching "The Good Wife" tonight prompted me to wonder as to what happened to Lili Taylor's movie career. 11-12 years ago she was touted as this indie darling who was about to have a major mainstream breakthrough. It seems that something went terribly wrong with her career (at least when it comes to movies) after that awful remake of "The Haunting".

by Anonymousreply 19611/10/2010

Lili Taylor had a pretty good run on on Six Feet Under until her character was killed off.

She's talented, but difficult to cast: short, unconventional looking, and over 35. I like her, but there are legions of actresses just like her.

You simply cannot build a career based on independent films. Not anymore. Ask Parker Posey about that one.

by Anonymousreply 19711/10/2010

David Niven writes that he got the chance to ask Garbo why she retired from films and she allegedly said: "I had made enough faces!"%0D %0D She almost made a comeback in some movie, but the whole thing fell apart for some reason. I think she didn't like the fact that the makers of the film were touting her big comeback and it got out of hand and scared her off of the project. She never made another film.

by Anonymousreply 19811/10/2010

I don't understand R194. Can anyone elaborate?

by Anonymousreply 19911/10/2010

Diana Ross - The Wiz

by Anonymousreply 20011/10/2010

I think every actor and actress that appear in "The Stepford Wives" (remake)

by Anonymousreply 20111/10/2010

What killed Susan Seidelman's directing carrer? %0D %0D What was the flop that put the brakes on Alicia Silverstone's career? After CLUELESS, she got a multi-million dollar, multi-picture deal with Columbia (???)...that soon was cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 20211/10/2010

[quote]Diana Ross - The Wiz She was much better in "The Whiz".

by Anonymousreply 20311/10/2010

R202 - It was in 1997 with the one-two punch of being dubbed "Fat Girl" for her portrayal of Batgirl in the execrable Batman & Robin followed shortly thereafter by the flop-tastic Excess Baggage. It was essentially Clueless II: Cher's even more unlikable twin gets kidnapped. Alicia was not only the lead, she was the "executive producer".

by Anonymousreply 20411/11/2010

[quote]James Cagney did the same, voluntarily retired to his farm after doing well during the fifties and finishing with a big hit - Billy Wilder's "One Two Three".

Horst Buchholz was a big part of that decision. The guy was a huge asshole and Cagney decided he didn't want to keep working in a field with so many prone to "artistic temperament".

by Anonymousreply 20511/11/2010

[quote]How about John Gilbert's career being killed by gayvoice in "His Glorious Night"?

It was more complicated than that. Gilbert had already pissed off Louis B. Mayer, so when his voice was kind of off in "His Glorious Night," the studio used it as a way to edge him out. All studios did that with a LOT of stars, though, mainly because they had invested a ton of money in sound systems. Remember, they owned the theaters back then, too, so they were ponying up for sound to make the films AND to show them. Many actors were victims of the deliberate PR push to move to talkies so the studios could protect their investment.

Studios also wanted to blame the actors' voices to deflect blame away from their own technical issues. The sound in early talkies was absolute shit.

You'll notice the actors that did survive the transition were either not famous during silents or, if they had been famous, were heavily promoted by the studios. Occasionally someone like Ricardo Cortez or Monte Blue would be able to move into starring in B films and A-list character parts, but that was pretty rare.

Long story short: Gilbert was boned, alleged gayvoice or not.

by Anonymousreply 20611/11/2010

R205, unfortunately, that is because nobody has ever questioned Cagney's version. The truth is this was a very sensitive time for Germany. The Berlin Wall went up literally during the filming of the movie. At that time Horst Buchholz was the lover of a friend of mine. His version was that Cagney went out of his way to make humiliating remarks about Germans and Germany any chance he got. Cagney treated Horst as if he Stepp'n Fetchet and got angry that he did not know his place. This was Horst Buchholz's fourth or fifth English language film. If he had been that unprofessional, he never would have got the job. And, he continued to work in English language films long afterwords. The fact is that the American cast and crew really did not get just how inappropriate the movie was given what was happening around them.

by Anonymousreply 20711/11/2010

What happened top Kevin Bacon's career? Is he just content to let Kyra be the family's breadwinner? I don't think I've seen him in anything since that pedophile movie from several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 20811/11/2010

[quote](Garbo) almost made a comeback in some movie, but the whole thing fell apart for some reason. I think she didn't like the fact that the makers of the film were touting her big comeback and it got out of hand and scared her off of the project. She never made another film.

At the link, 1949 Garbo test for the scrapped Max Ophuls film. There is a longer version of this that pops up on youtube from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 20911/11/2010

You think "One Two Three" was inappropriate? As in should not have been made? Wow.

I think the cast and crew knew what was going on, what with their studio being right on the dividing line between East and West. They had to travel to Munich to finish the film because of the Berlin Wall construction. Only the dimmest of people wouldn't realize how serious that was.

Plenty of difficult actors find work, so claiming that Buchholz was a nice guy and that's why he was in several English language films is just silly. You might want to check out his IMDb listing sometime. "One Two Three" was his last big English language film until the UK's "The Great Waltz" over a decade later. He was in 3 big US productions, and then suddenly after "One Two Three" that all dried up and he didn't work for 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 21011/11/2010

"Who Gives A Flying Fuck?" lost a lot of money for Paramount and was the death knell for Helen Lawson's film career.

by Anonymousreply 21111/11/2010

An Officer and a Gentleman, Debra Winger

by Anonymousreply 21211/11/2010

Debra Winger recieved her first Oscar nomination for An Officer and a Gentleman followed by two more nominations for Terms of Endearment and Shadowlands. %0D %0D She voluntarily left the business at the peak of her career to raise her children and take care of her sick mother.

by Anonymousreply 21311/11/2010

Sure, Debra Winger voluntarily left the business. %0D %0D What actually killed her career was the flop "Mike's Murder". She'd had several monster hits and won the respect of the critics, but she was a pain in the ass to work with and at the time there were drug rumors. Hollywood can be very unforgiving to women who are pains in the ass, and after one notorious flop she was no longer in demand.

by Anonymousreply 21411/11/2010

I guess someone already said Brown Bunny ruined Gallo?

by Anonymousreply 21511/11/2010

Bacon was in some well recieved HBO film...Delivering Chance or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 21611/11/2010

I really liked Mike's Murder. I heard Winger was such a bitch, no one would work with her. She's always good. She's on In Treatment this season.

by Anonymousreply 21711/11/2010

"Mike's Murder" would have been great if it had a darker ending.

by Anonymousreply 21811/11/2010

I love the critics on here who post about certain actors being has beens or their husbands/wives careers are better than theirs, etc. At least we are still talking about them which in my eyes, still makes them successful or memorable. I don't see anyone in my business talking about a sales person from 10-20 years ago. NO one in the entertainment business stays hot for their entire career.

by Anonymousreply 21911/13/2010

Update: I'm happy to see Lili Taylor on THE GOOD WIFE. Looking and sounding terrific. I think she'll be fab guesting there. THE GOOD WIFE gets some of the best guest talent on TV.

by Anonymousreply 22011/13/2010

TCM is showing "Star!" in February for their Oscar month, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 22111/14/2010

Not a movie, but Tom Cruise's couch jumping not only killed his acting career but any career in anything he could ever come to think of, ever again. %0D %0D The final nail in the coffin was the crazy scientology video in which he claims that he's the only one who can help SPs.

by Anonymousreply 22211/16/2010

Lily Taylor is a terrible actress. She seems to have this indie cred and I don't know why, she's beyond mediocre. I liked her in two things: Mystic Pizza {though Julia was better} and that flick she made with River Somebody.

by Anonymousreply 22311/16/2010

I love that video, R222. I especially enjoyed the part when he says something like, "The gift and responsibility of being a Scientologist is that when you're driving down the road and you see a horrible accident, you know that you are the only person who can help in that situation." Yes, police officers, fire fighters, EMTs, doctors, and nurses are beyond useless in assisting accident victims. Don't call 911; call Leah Remini.

by Anonymousreply 22411/18/2010

Brokeback Mountain - Jake Gyllenhaal

by Anonymousreply 22712/14/2010

geena davis in cutthroat island lol

by Anonymousreply 22805/22/2013

I think "Mermaids" might have been more of a negative for Winona Ryder than Cher....I actually loved that movie..

by Anonymousreply 22905/22/2013

Bo Derek in "Ghosts Do It" and "Bolero"

Rene Russo in "The Thomas Crown Affair"; which didn't do any good for Pierce Brosnan

by Anonymousreply 23005/22/2013

^^ Don't thing so (regarding Rene)--there's been talk of a sequel to Thomas Crown and she and Pierce had exceptional chemistry together.

by Anonymousreply 23105/22/2013

Do you want to dance or DO YOU WANT TO DANCE!?

by Anonymousreply 23205/22/2013

"Two-Faced Woman" was a flop, but it didn't end Garbo's career. GARBO ended her career. The movie was a bad experience for her; she just didn't want to do it anymore. She got film offers for the rest of her life, some of them offering enormous sums of money for very little work, but she never returned to the screen. She really was one of a kind.

by Anonymousreply 23305/22/2013

[quote]Speaking of Mermaids, what killed Christina Ricci's career?

"Anything Else", considered by many the worst film Woody Allen ever made. The film did no favors for Jason Biggs (in the "Woody" role), either.

by Anonymousreply 23405/22/2013

[quote]Rene Russo in "The Thomas Crown Affair"; which didn't do any good for Pierce Brosnan

Wonderful movie--I like it better than the McQueen-Dunaway original.

by Anonymousreply 23505/22/2013

I think Newman went out on top, maybe no longer a box office sure thing but still very much respected, good roles, good acting, and freaking good-looking for an eighty year old man. On the female side, Olivia deH quit probably at the perfect time-still considered an all-time great that didn't have to settle for shitty roles.

by Anonymousreply 23605/22/2013

Really - some people seem to confuse career ending roles with being a working actor.

Sally Fields on Inside the Actors Studio had a great reply about some of the roles she had taken - in this industry she wasn't about to apologize for being a working actor.

If LUNA killed Jill Clayburgh's career - well I bet there are plenty of people who would kill for Clayburgh's so called dead career career after LUNA.

by Anonymousreply 23705/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!