Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Stephen King''s "It"

Did anyone find this to be scary? I didn't. It just made me laugh.

They're remaking it for 2011.

by Anonymousreply 3210/30/2013

The book was really frightening. There were scary bits in the miniseries but nothing approaching the book.

The ending of both the book and the miniseries was a bit ridiculous, to say the least. But typical of King.

by Anonymousreply 111/03/2010

The book started out being very scary but then it turned into a bloated, over-inflated Macy's balloon of kitchen-sink crap that exploded like a popped pimple. After all the intermediate scares, when I got to the big scene and found out what the "real monster" was, I thought WTF??? I read a thousand pages and this is IT?!%0D %0D The movie was shit, can't imagine that a remake will be an improvement.

by Anonymousreply 211/04/2010

Tim Curry was great as Pennywise, but the rest of it was TV movie crap. The ending is stupid as hell. How is a spider scarier than an evil clown who pulls you into the sewer?

by Anonymousreply 311/04/2010

I somewhat agree on the film - the book spent a lot of time in its opening chapters concentrating on gay-bashing, and smalltown attitudes to gays, for some reason. %0D %0D The film, well the first half was great, really scary and weird. Those kids played the part perfectly, and Pennywise was excellent. The second half (when they reunited as adults) was a bit too unrealistic for me. And it had some very lame moments, badly thought out and executed. %0D %0D Overall I did like it though but the childhood parts were much stronger. I cannnot fault Tim Curry, he was superb throughout. %0D %0D So sad that the lead kid committed suicide some years later. There was some talk he might have been gay but couldn't cope with life and felt lonely.

by Anonymousreply 411/04/2010

Did they do the orgy in the miniseries? I can't remember. Do you think King deliberately writes things that cannot be filmed?

by Anonymousreply 511/04/2010

No, there is no sixth-grade orgy in the miniseries. Jesus.

They are supposedly trying to adapt it for film again now. I assume said orgy is again the first thing to go.

by Anonymousreply 611/04/2010

They are playing the miniseries on Spike TV this week.

In the book what was the orgy? Was it the boys and the one girl they hung around with?

by Anonymousreply 710/29/2013

I loved the book, and liked the miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 810/29/2013

Great movie, horrible ending.

A remake might actually work in this case. The ending can only get better? Right?

by Anonymousreply 910/29/2013

Well not if they keep King's space turtle idea it can't.

by Anonymousreply 1010/29/2013

[quote]Did they do the orgy in the miniseries?

There's an orgy in the book?

by Anonymousreply 1110/29/2013

Space turtle? I saw a spider

by Anonymousreply 1210/29/2013

The spider was the devil. The space-turtle was god. And god was dead.

Or something.

The lead guy "won" by biting the spider's tongue. In his dreams. Seriously.

What the fuck.

by Anonymousreply 1310/29/2013

Jonathin Brandi's, one of the actors, killed himself at 27. Was rather charming young actor.

by Anonymousreply 1410/29/2013

[quote]There's an orgy in the book?

It wasn't an orgy, it was more like a train.

The whole gang of kids were trapped in the sewers and had begun squabbling amongst themselves, so the girl decided that the best way to get them all friends again and on the same page would be to fuck each of the boys, one after the other.

Of course, the "hero" boy who was her favourite went last, had the biggest cock, and actually made her orgasm.

And yes, they were all around 12 years old, and only the girl and her fave boy had actually begun puberty, so yeah, sick stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1510/29/2013

The gay scenes in the book were hot stuff when I was 14 though.

by Anonymousreply 1610/29/2013

I like the miniseries. I think it's very well done. I wouldn't say that it's so much scary as it's a story about what it's like to live with unbearable things that happened to you as a child, and the kind of courage it takes to go back and face it.

I think they came up with a very elegant alternative to the gang bang scene, which is each kid in turn takes a whiff from little Eddie's asthma inhaler, which we know is just a placebo, but it's a sweet sort of symbolic bonding between them.

by Anonymousreply 1710/29/2013

The clown pulling kids into the pipe was pretty messed up when i was 10 years old.

by Anonymousreply 1810/29/2013

A lot of things King writes makes me wonder if he was sexually abused as a child.

by Anonymousreply 1910/29/2013

WHAT? Turtle god? The girl screws all the boys and the "hero" (which one was the hero? who played him as an adult in the miniseries?) makes her orgasm? WHAT THE FUCKITY FUCK? I watched the miniseries as a kid, I guess I missed out not reading the book. YIKES!

by Anonymousreply 2010/29/2013

Except for the somewhat weak ending (seriously? a giant spider?), I very much enjoyed the miniseries and thought it was very well-done.

Thinking about it also reminds me of why I wish ABC had done "Under the Dome" instead of CBS. ABC always did a pretty good job with King's books.

by Anonymousreply 2110/29/2013

The scene where the little girl screws all the boys is really awful. She's in pain and just, yuck.

by Anonymousreply 2210/29/2013

The clown was scary.

by Anonymousreply 2310/29/2013

to r23 - 'Beep Beep!'

by Anonymousreply 2410/29/2013

We all float down here...

by Anonymousreply 2510/29/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2610/30/2013

Odd you should mention this. I just saw IT on youtube and thought it was crap. This was just after I saw Tommyknockers and thought it was beyond crap venturing into permashit.

And then I thought, so many Steven King books have not translated well to film, with Misery and Carrie being the prime exceptions.

I think this topic warrants its own subject line.

by Anonymousreply 2710/30/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2810/30/2013

It was fine, you have to remember the times, compared to what else was on, it rocked. Tim Curry was so great, no way they could've found anyone better to play Pennywise. But I do agree with those who say that part 2, with the adult, has-been, tv actors, is not as good as part 1.

by Anonymousreply 2910/30/2013

r19, King is also suspected of having molested his daughter. He is a big fat drunk (Jack Torrance in "The Shining" is an acknowledged self-portrait.)

by Anonymousreply 3010/30/2013

I read it when I was 15 and was a huge King fan to that point. But the gay guys were made to looks like freaks. But a gangbang among prepubescent kids was okay.

And not to mention we never even really got to see what IT looked like.

I didn't read King again for 13 years.

by Anonymousreply 3110/30/2013

I just saw "Children of the Corn" on youtube, what a piece of crap.

by Anonymousreply 3210/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!