Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I am watching the original Jacques Tourneur "Cat People" with Simone Simon

Jealous, bitches?

by King John of Serbiareply 3102/26/2013

Jealous? Hell no. "Cat People" is ridulously overrated. And whatever happened to Simone Simone?

by King John of Serbiareply 111/03/2010

I watched it the other night. I never get tired of it. For a cheap little movie it is really well made and well acted and pretty creepy and daring in some parts. I love old RKO black and white movies.

by King John of Serbiareply 211/03/2010

Great film. They referenced it in the recent vampire movie "Let Me In"- during the climactic indoor pool scene.

by King John of Serbiareply 311/03/2010

Terrific little film, much better than it had any right to be.%0D %0D

by King John of Serbiareply 411/03/2010

Is it me, or does there seem to be a lesbian subtext to the film?

by King John of Serbiareply 511/03/2010

There is a lesbian subtext, R5 And I'm not a %0D "oh yes, of course there is a lesbian subtext" kind of guy.

by King John of Serbiareply 611/03/2010

This was a great film and I hate scary films normally.

by King John of Serbiareply 711/03/2010

What lesbian subtext? Between Irina and Alice? I'll admit to being stupid about these subtle film themes.%0D %0D Last month TCM was showing some lousy movies, lots of westerns and strange British stuff, but this month is going to be great. They showed The Leopard Man, another Val Lewton movie and I hope they'll show The Seventh Victim another one of my favorites.

by King John of Serbiareply 811/05/2010

I just watched this again on Halloween. It's a fun little movie.

by King John of Serbiareply 911/05/2010

The movie was written by a gay man!%0D %0D %0D %0D There is some stuff about him in William J. Mann's book about gay Hollywood called Behind the Screens.%0D %0D %0D %0D There is definitely some gay/lesbian subtext

by King John of Serbiareply 1011/05/2010

Why would anyone be jealous of this, OP? It's not like you're watching Stroheim's original cut of "Greed"--we can watch "Cat People" whenever we want.

by King John of Serbiareply 1111/05/2010

I Walked With a Zombie is my favorite Lewton/Tourneur picture, but they're all terrific - the atmosphere just drips right off the screen.

by King John of Serbiareply 1211/05/2010

It's a little slow, but it's gorgeously photographed.

by King John of Serbiareply 1311/05/2010

"I Walked with a Zombie" = "Jane Eyre"

by King John of Serbiareply 1411/05/2010

"It's a little slow, but it's gorgeously photographed".........on sets left over from The Magnificent Ambersons (the staircase) and an Astaire Rogers musical (the zoo scene, but I am not sure which musical)

by King John of Serbiareply 1511/05/2010

Love the scene where the cat-like woman comes up to Irina at the restaurant and says "Moia sestra". Quite an impact for such a brief scene. I also love that scene when Dr. Judd kisses Irina and she just stands there blankly and coldly as she transforms into a panther - creepy.

by King John of Serbiareply 1611/05/2010

"the cat-like woman comes up to Irina at the restaurant and says "Moia sestra"%0D %0D Actually the person speaking is Simone Signoret herself; they used her as a voice double for the actress. %0D

by King John of Serbiareply 1711/05/2010

Ah, didn't know that, thanks R17.

by King John of Serbiareply 1811/05/2010

I'm sorry now i discovered this thread so i i sent what i should send now there. However, there's never too late. i put it here too, where it fits so much better.

Alice was played by Jane Randolph. Of course you remember her, right?

by King John of Serbiareply 1902/24/2013

Kent Smith played Oliver.

by King John of Serbiareply 2002/24/2013

Doctor Louis Judd was played by Tom Conway. Did you know that Tom was was the older brother of George Sanders?

He appeared in three Jacques Tourneur films. 'Cat People', 'I Walked with a Zombie', 'The Seventh Victim'

My lovely Dataloungers, i know that many of you know these little details, but what the heck...i wanted to send it for all to know.

:)

by King John of Serbiareply 2102/24/2013

I like Cat People but prefer Curse of the Cat People. The whole movie has a similar magic, fairytale quality as the "ride down the river" scene in Night of the Hunter.

by King John of Serbiareply 2202/24/2013

My favorite scene is where the panicky architect wards off evil by holding up his T-square in front of him & its shadow on the wall forms a cross.

My second favorite scene is where the husband grips the distraught wife's shoulders & tells her that maybe she should consider consulting a [deep breath] psychiatrist!

by King John of Serbiareply 2302/24/2013

R22 and R23 i downloaded the ' The Curse of the Cat People', cause i haven't seen it yet. I'm so excited, i'll watch it tonight!!!!!!!! I really enjoyed 'Cat People' when i first saw it. I feel pleasure!

Kisses!

by King John of Serbiareply 2402/24/2013

Moja sestra=my sister.

by King John of Serbiareply 2502/24/2013

The creepy woman who says "Moja sestra" to her in Cat People has one of the lead roles in Curse of the Cat People. Simon basically has a cameo.

by King John of Serbiareply 2602/24/2013

Well The Curse of the Cat People has some inspiring moments but it has certain flaws too. I liked the movie though.

by King John of Serbiareply 2702/26/2013

Damn the webmaster is a dumb fuck. Who the hell shuts down a gay gossip board during the oscars? What a fucking retard.

by King John of Serbiareply 2802/26/2013

I've never seen the remake with N. Kinski. Nobody ever shows it.

by King John of Serbiareply 2902/26/2013

Ha, R29, that's funny. It played on a nearly constant loop in the early days of HBO ca. late 70s/early 80s. (That and The Boys from Brazil, French Postcards, and Fame.) I watched it repeatedly. What I vividly remember is a zoo worker getting his arm torn off by a lion near the beginning. It was very graphic for the time.

by King John of Serbiareply 3002/26/2013

They've been showing the 80's remake a lot on cable. I'm always disappointed to see it come up on the schedule because I'm always hoping they're going to show the original instead.

by King John of Serbiareply 3102/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.