Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Amityville Horror

What are the Lutz family doing today? %0D %0D I went to school with someone who was rumored to be a relative of the DeFeo family (it was never confirmed). Same last name, looked like a spitting image of the departed kids. Nice kid, but he had a lot of issues. I hope he's better now.%0D %0D Margot Kidder said she thought the whole thing was bullshit, which is why she refused to promote the movie alongside the Lutz family. James and Rod Steiger filled in for her.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5503/17/2013

This story never scared me at all. In fact, I never got how it was ever classified as paranormal. It was simply a drugged up shoot out. Nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 110/31/2010

The Lutzes divorced in the '80's and both of them died within the last seven years.

The story terrified me as a kid. Alas, it's been thoroughly discredited since.

by Anonymousreply 210/31/2010

The basis of their hauntings took place in their toilet.

by Anonymousreply 310/31/2010

The stories were debunked and discredited many years ago. Unfortunately, that didn't discourage people from looking for the "horror house"

by Anonymousreply 410/31/2010

Yeah, I remember watching a documentary with them and thinking they were full of shit, r4 (and r3?). I also read some things about it within the last year which really confirmed to me that it just wasn't true.

On a side note (because this has been killing me trying to remember): Does anyone here remember of a case in Pa. which I believe happened in the late 70's or possibly early 80's, where this father attacked his family with a knife? I think he cut his little girl, who was maybe about 3 yrs. old. There was a black and white photo of the father as he was being taken into custody. I think he had his shirt off and had a mustache and beard. It may happened on a farm. There was also a pic of the girl being carried out to an ambulance.

by Anonymousreply 510/31/2010

When Margot Kidder thinks something is bullshit, you can depend on it being bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 610/31/2010

misshelenbedd OWNS theMaitville Horron

by Anonymousreply 710/31/2010

What exactly did she say about it, r6?

by Anonymousreply 810/31/2010

r8. I'm not r6, but I do remember seeing Margot on some show on VH1 or E! or something talking about the movie, and basically she said something along the lines of "There was some mental illness there, and believe me, I know about mental illness."

I had to love her for that.

by Anonymousreply 910/31/2010

The Lutz kids would be in their 40s or 50s now. I don't think any of them have ever made the talk show rounds insisting the house was haunted, which both George & Kathy did for years after anyone cared about the story. I didn't know they had died.

I read the novel when I was a teen and loved it but I believe the haunting story is complete bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1010/31/2010

the house just sold about 4 or 5 months ago for 1.3 million. the address is different than it was in the 70's (they changed it to keep away the nosey bodies) and the house has undergone a great deal of renovations too, so it no longer looks as scary as it did. check the link below.

the fact that the haunting was complete bullshit, I would still never be comfortable living in a house where so many people were murdered. because you KNOW there will come a time when you're alone in that house, and maybe you hear a noise, or the lights flicker or something spooks you a little, and then you're f*cked! :)

by Anonymousreply 1111/01/2010

The infamous picture of the ghost boy.

by Anonymousreply 1211/01/2010

Heh r13, I was just about to post the link to the crime scene photos, but yes, they are really graphic, so fair-warning.

Also, if you blow-up the photo at r12, it's an adult woman sitting in a chair wearing eyeglasses that are reflecting the light.

I think that the most horrific thing that happened there is that Ronnie DeFeo killed his family, which is scary enough if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 1411/01/2010

They still believe that Dawn DeFeo was the one who killed the family, or at least helped, and then Ron shot her.

Quite honestly, I've seen more gruesome crime scene photos than that.

by Anonymousreply 1511/01/2010

Dawn DeFeo was shot in bed. So what did she do shoot everybody and go back to bed and wait for whatshisname shoot her?

by Anonymousreply 1611/01/2010

"The Amityville Horror" was a hoax. The Lutzs were liars, con artists. It's incredible that people actually believed their bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1711/01/2010

Is Ronnie DeFeo still alive or did he die in prison? Did ever say anything after becoming clean?

by Anonymousreply 1811/01/2010

The parents were only in their early 40s. Dad was 43 and Mom was 42.

by Anonymousreply 1911/01/2010

Good rule of thumb: If Lorraine Warren is involved, you know it's a hoax.

by Anonymousreply 2011/01/2010

Kathy Lutz had emphysema, I'm pretty sure—I saw something on TLC, Discovery, or somesuch about Amityville a few years ago, and she was interviewed wearing an oxygen apparatus.

by Anonymousreply 2111/01/2010

She died of emphysema.

by Anonymousreply 2211/01/2010

The most horrifying thing about that house is not the murders, but the victims' wallpaper.

by Anonymousreply 2311/01/2010

Bio ran a show last night hwere some kooky psychic helped Ron (from prison) exorcize the demon (come to find out it was Lucifer himself!) back to hell.

It was so hokey. She believes Ron killed dad and Dawn killed mom and the the rest of the kids. The Devil possessed Ron and then made him kill Dawn.

So ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 2411/01/2010

The Lutzes are dead.%0D %0D I'm the poster who went to HS with Dawn DeFeo. %0D %0D The house is up for sale. My partner knows the current owners. It's a beautiful home, been renovated several times.

by Anonymousreply 2511/01/2010

Jody the pig was actually the fat cat who lived next door. Jody's owners called him a pig because of his weight.

by Anonymousreply 2611/01/2010

R25 is correct. The home is gorgeous on the inside. Very spacious and warm. Hard wood floors that shine.

Murders or no, I'd live there.

by Anonymousreply 2711/01/2010

[quote]I went to school with someone who was rumored to be a relative of the DeFeo family (it was never confirmed). %0D %0D That must have been the most boring school on the planet if that is all the rumormongers could come up with.

by Anonymousreply 2811/01/2010

here is what Frank Defeo is doing

by Anonymousreply 2911/01/2010

Mr DeFeo was in the mafia. I didn't know this until after the murders, because I only knew Dawn from eating lunch with her during my senior year. She was best friends with the little sister of my best friend. She was a nice, quiet girl, unexceptional. She and her best friend had been friends since kindergarten and were going to start secretarial school together in the fall.%0D %0D Many mafioso bought houses along the canals in Amityville, Bay Shore and other South Shore locations on Long Island because the guys who used to rob Kennedy Airport and trucks and warehouses (those "Goodfellas" guys) would put the loot aboard motorboats in southern Queens and Brooklyn and head for the canals, where the loot would be unloaded. The cops weren't looking for boats after a heist. They were looking for cars and trucks carrying loot. That's why it was so successful. Drugs also came in via boats on those canals.%0D %0D If your luggage ever passed through Kennedy Airport and "got lost," it was probably stowed aboard one of those boats and transferred to land in Lawn Guyland.

by Anonymousreply 3011/01/2010

r25, I have lived in Queens and on Long Island my whole life, and I never made that connection about why the mafioso lived on the water. I always just chalked it up to a status symbol thing, but what you said makes perfect sense. It probably didn't happen that much up here on the North Shore because LaGuardia isn't an international airport.

Anyway, my sister-in-law had a friend who babysat at the Amityville house in the early '90s. My sister-in-law was too much of a wuss to go check it out, but I'd be curious.

And yes, the DeFeos' tacky '70s decor was a crime in and of itself.

by Anonymousreply 3111/01/2010

Another thing I learned after the murders: A guy who moved in next door to my sister, who knew the bartender at Ronnie DeFeo's favorite bar, told us that Ronnie DeFeo took a lot of drugs and was into heroin by the time the murders took place. At that time, not a lot of suburban kids did heroin, so Ronnie was a badass drug abuser.%0D %0D He was also crazy and violent and his father kept getting him out of jams by alternately paying people off, threatening people or calling on friends in the political and judicial world. On Long Island, the mafia has lots of political friends and judges and it has been that way since WWII, when the mafia became entrenched on LI by selling black market meat and gasoline.%0D %0D This guy also gave us the background on the Lutzes while the whole nutty "Amityville Horror" nonsense was taking place. He told us the Lutzes had bought the house for about $80,000, but didn't have a pot to piss in. Nobody knows where they got the money from, but assumes it was someone they partnered with to write the book. Keep in mind that at the time the house sold for $80,000, the average home on Long Island was about $30,000. That was a lot of money in those days. Even after the murders, the house was expensive because of the location and because it was a very well-built, well-laid out house.%0D %0D I never knew Ronnie DeFeo or any of the other DeFeos, just Dawn. I knew she had a bunch of brothers, but she never talked about them being anything more than the usual pain in the ass that all kids claim their siblings are. I had no idea her older brother was psycho. I don't know if she knew, either. Maybe she just thought he was troublesome. Lots of kids were doing drugs back then and arguing with their parents a lot. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3211/01/2010

[quote] Murders or no, I'd live there.%0D %0D The current owners of the house were close friend of the house's previous owners, so they'd been there many times over the years and knew the house was fine.

by Anonymousreply 3311/01/2010

How does anyone explain that picture of the little ghost boy?

by Anonymousreply 3411/01/2010

r34, it's already been explained. If you increase the size to 300%, it's pretty obvious an adult woman in glasses, sitting down. Use the magnify function on your browser and check it for yourself.

she was probably there with the news team that day.

by Anonymousreply 3511/01/2010

I observe d%C3%A9cor in the crime scene photos. I didn't know they had an Ikea back then.

by Anonymousreply 3611/01/2010

That house was beyond tacky, WOW! That house looks like the typical stereotypical house you would picture a mafia family living in.

I read the book and the demon posed thing was BS that was made to enhance the Amityville book. The son was nuts, but the father was very mean to the kids, and he was plain evil from what I have read in the book. The father abused his wife, and he also forced his wife to have sex with him in humiliating ways. He was completely sick. That was in the book.

by Anonymousreply 3711/01/2010

if you were relieved that the Lutz children didn't milk that BS story the way their parents did, think again.

by Anonymousreply 3811/01/2010

I always felt sorry for all the neighbors. Living in that neighborhood with all the lookie-loos trampling over their lawns and flowerbeds must have been horrible.

by Anonymousreply 3911/01/2010

R11, the house hasn't just been renovated, it's been moved to a different spot on the same lot of land. It used to be near the road and now it's further away and at a different angle. There's a detached garage in front of it, too. Those eye-shaped windows were removed decades ago, of course.

To confuse the matter, the house used for filming was one in Tom's River, NJ. It's been revamped, too. This site has tons of recent pictures from the murder house in Amityville and from the places uses in the film.

by Anonymousreply 4011/01/2010

I'm confused. The house where the film was shot has been moved on the lot to another location. The DeFeo house in Amityville, as far as I know, has not.

by Anonymousreply 4111/01/2010

that movie was scary.

by Anonymousreply 4211/01/2010

I was about 11 or 12 when the movie came out. I read the book. Stupid thing to do. It just so happened that we lived in a custom-built home that had a similar appearance to the Amityville house. My bedroom was the left "eye" window, if you're facing the house. My brother's was the right. I can tell you, the layout of our house, and the fact that it looked so much like the Amityville house, gave me nightmares.

Of course, I also had all sorts of nightmares because of the weird shit that happened to me while we lived in that house. I'm not saying that the Amityville tale relates at all to my experiences; I just happened to read the book at the time we lived there.

The attic door was also in my room which came with its own level of scary shit. Among the things that happened to me, repeatedly, during the three years we lived there: Attic door opening by itself; my bedroom door opening once while I was sitting there in the den watching the door open and freaking the hell out; my radio in my bedroom coming on and going off by itself; lightbulbs near my room breaking spontaneously in succession; someone stroking my face in the middle of the night, all kinds of weird shit. My family used to laugh at me when I told them the things that were happening to me. Of course I blamed them for trying to scare me; I was no crazy child and thought there had to be an explanation. But they swear to this day they weren't behind anything.

I'm scaring myself now, so I'm going to stop writing about this.

by Anonymousreply 4311/01/2010

Thanks for that link, r38. I guess you go with what you were taught.

I notice Daniel Lutz's forthcoming "documentary" involves Eric Walter, the twink from the A&E special on DeFeo. He's cute but he was making claims that have been debunked for years.

by Anonymousreply 4411/06/2010

R44 that guy from A&E is majorly cute. Has anyone noticed that many, many, psychics are gay? or seem gay? Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 4511/06/2010

I don't know about the Lutz family, but my career recently soared after being cast in a commercial crying wheeeee! wheeeee! all the way home!

by Anonymousreply 4611/06/2010

I wouldn't live there. Those uper windows are really creepy.

by Anonymousreply 4711/06/2010

by Anonymousreply 4811/06/2010

Those upper quarter-round windows have been gone for at least 30 years. I doubt the house has been moved, it's a small lot, and wouldn't even make sense to do so. %0D %0D I finagled a visit to the house when we were visiting relatives close by as a kid. "It's 110 Atlantic Avenue! C'mon, we're right HERE!" My stoic father got out of the car to take a picture of me in front. Let me first say, that we have Shinecock Indian forebearers, so--some of what had been claimed, Shinecock burial grounds and all, facinated me. %0D %0D Dad promptly threw up on the sidewalk, and ran back to the car. "You got my picture though?"%0D Mom ended up driving back home. Sweaty, pasty dad was definitely shaken and wouldn't explain. %0D %0D Years later, I listed a 1700's farmhouse. The woman was divorced and couldn't maintain the property. She told me about her abusive marriage and the Warren's involvement in her home. Several "entities". I remember reading about the house on the Warren's website after I took the listing. I always chalked up the weird feelings I got to the energy of the family. They moved out, and during the winter the house was shown often to prospective buyers. Because the move was a process, I told agents to be courteous of the family---they might or might not be around. Winter storm, an agent tries to show the house. No cars are there. He told me a woman on the second floor waved him away. He tried the lock box, but there was no key.%0D %0D That house took a long time to sell.

by Anonymousreply 4911/07/2010

bump in the night...

by Anonymousreply 5011/17/2010

Just saw the new documentary of the son of the Lutz family last night. It's called, "My Amityville Horror." His stepfather, George Lutz, was a whack job, all into the occult. This son, who's now all grown up, still believes what happened, happened. Even claiming that his stepfather could make shit levitate. He's extremely messed up in the head today.

Those infamous psychics who worked on the case, Ed and Lorraine Warren, were brought into it. Ed's dead, but Lorraine's alive and was interviewed. They just filmed a movie based on Ed and Lorraine called "The Conjuring." Lili Tayler is part of the cast. It's by the same people who did "Insidious." It'll be a big hit this summer, which is something that irritates me. Ed and Lorraine are nothing but con-artists. You should have seen her in this documentary. She takes out what she swears is wood from the cross Jesus Christ died on. She then puts the crew on the spot and demands to know who doesn't believe in god.

Anyway, did anyone see this documentary, and more importantly, what's your opinion of the case, and even Ed and Lorraine?

by Anonymousreply 5103/16/2013

R51, I agree with you about Ed and Lorraine Warren being con artists. I am interested in ghosts/hauntings/the paranormal, etc., but whenever I discover they are involved in a case I immediately discount it. Their nephew John Zaffis has a SyFy show called Haunted Collector or something like that about supposedly haunted objects. The show is total bullshit.

As for the Amityville case, I think that is total bullshit too. I read somewhere that Jay Anson who wrote the first book about it was given total freedom by the publisher to make up as much shit as he wanted. I know that at times George and Kathy Lutz swore it all happened, but I don't believe it. At one time I did, but that was before I read so much about it.

by Anonymousreply 5203/16/2013

"My Amityville Horror" features people who are sympathetic towards him, and say that he seems to be remembering it the way he wants to remember it. He is now really off his rocker. I don't believe he's a con artist, just someone who is now really disturbed. It was incredibly sad. You can tell that his stepfather was abusive towards him. He was allowed to leave home at 15, and became homeless in the desert. No one cared. He said that his stepfather was also abusive towards his mother.

I'd still love to know what the ghost boy photo was really all about.

I can't really put a read on Lorraine. On the one hand, I know she's full of shit. On the other, could she believe somewhat in what she does? She seems to be a big religious nut. Of course all the people involved are Catholics.

That parents got divorced in the 80s, I believe.

The story behind the Lutz case is the disturbing part.

by Anonymousreply 5303/17/2013

That ghost boy photo was debunked a long time ago - it's really a picture of an investigator.

by Anonymousreply 5403/17/2013

As a testament to the power of suggestion, every creak in my house freaked me out last night And I know Amityville is all hooey.

by Anonymousreply 5503/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!