I never watched the reruns and am just catching up with MSCL on Netflix. Random thoughts:
- You can see why this made Claire Danes a star; she's wonderfully naturalistic and completely believable even when some of the dialogue is a little ripe.
- Jared Leto's very good too - I remember those handsome, silent, dumb stoner guys with their sheepskin-lined jackets. It's very funny how they show him using eyedrops between classes.
- Did every school have a Rayanne Graff? Ours had Cindie. Cindie's mom was a hairdresser or something and usually spent the weekends at her boyfriend's house, which meant Cindie's house was party central.
- The kid that played Brian Krakow grew about a foot during the show and went from looking like a high schooler to college age.
- Good for Bess Armstrong for playing such an unlikable, brittle character and giving her some depth. Bill Irwin was also good (and very everyday-handsome) as Graham.
- Wilson Cruz was also good as Ricky, though the conceit that a gay boy could hang out in the girls' bathroom all the time without anyone kicking up a fuss was a bit much.
- This had to be the only high school in the world where no one locked their lockers.
The only episode which was bad so far -- and it was beyond terrible -- was the Christmas episode with Juliana Hatfield as a folk-singing angel in Doc Martens. Terrible dialogue and unbelievably mawkish. I think they were going for a bit of magic realism and instead made a "Touched by an Angel" episode instead.
I know this show has some rabid fans out there...any thoughts?