Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jackie Beat''s House in the LA Times

What do we think of the drag queen's digs?

by Anonymousreply 5702/16/2013

It's not for me, but I like it in that it's an actual idiosyncratic individual style and it looks like someone actually lives there and enjoys the space. I think that's what's missing in a lot of these interior design things that get linked here: they look anonymously tasteful, staged, designed. ZZzzzz.

by Anonymousreply 110/31/2010

I like it a lot for the same reasons r1 does. And I'm jealous that a guy can buy a house and hire decorators on a drag queen's salary.

by Anonymousreply 210/31/2010

I wouldn't live there, but there is something very "Frida Kahlo meets Hollywood Regency" about the place that is intriguing. The brash centerpiece echoes Rauschenberg's Monogram, and the little boxes in the built-in and the green glass objects in the window sill are charming.

by Anonymousreply 310/31/2010

my favorite quote:

Personalized coffee mugs are put to use as planters for cactuses. They're placed on candleholders at different heights to make the arrangement more visually dynamic.

by Anonymousreply 410/31/2010

I love the vivid wall colors and fabrics, except for the rust bucket bedroom with its hideous 1972 wallpaper. The only good thing about the cluttered dining room is the wall color.

The green glass collection on the kitchen windowsill is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 510/31/2010

It's all too much and all too Jackie, but isn't that the whole point? No surprise there. %0D %0D I wonder if Jackie is perpetually single. It seems like there isn't any room there for another diva to share the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 610/31/2010

So far, the vote is as split as the 2000 election.

by Anonymousreply 710/31/2010

I think it's cool, it has a hip jive. I agree the green glass collection in the kitchen is notable. Looks to me like Jackie's fabulous personal style is reflected in her home. You go girl!

by Anonymousreply 810/31/2010

Beautiful and very warm looking

by Anonymousreply 910/31/2010

Fun place.%0D %0D Still reminds me of the NYSD photo shoots, though. Instead of expensive tchotchkes being carefully arranged on every available surface, there are cheap tchotchkes carefully arranged on every available surface. The effect is very similar.

by Anonymousreply 1010/31/2010

I have attended three Jackie Beat shows over the years, including one of her infamous Christmas shows, and she had me laughing so hard I could barely breathe. Absolutely hilarious performer.

by Anonymousreply 1110/31/2010

I'm surprised the DL contingent approves, more or less.

by Anonymousreply 1210/31/2010

Why [R12]?

by Anonymousreply 1310/31/2010

This is totally my style. I put up psychedelic wallpaper in my bedroom too. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 1410/31/2010

I approve of it overall. The unicorn mirror is my favorite piece of whimsy. But she must not have any Filipino friends. They are deathly afraid of owls.

by Anonymousreply 1510/31/2010

In addition to stylin', Miss jackie keeps a clean house, I approve.

by Anonymousreply 1610/31/2010

That girl is a p-i-g, PIG!

by Anonymousreply 1710/31/2010

think of the hairspray build-up in the bathroom, like fly paper.

by Anonymousreply 1810/31/2010

I like it. it has a clean and bright look despite the knickknacks.

by Anonymousreply 1910/31/2010

Highland Park is a vibrant neighborhood -- that is why she made her front yard scary.

by Anonymousreply 2011/01/2010

Filed with shit that ought never to have been manufactured, let alone pulled from the dumpster for a revival of some 1981 junkstore queen's digs.%0D

by Anonymousreply 2111/01/2010

how can she afford it?

by Anonymousreply 2211/01/2010

Yep, looks like a drag queen's W. Village apartment, circa 1984.

I really don't understand the existence of drag queens in the year 2010.

by Anonymousreply 2311/01/2010

Jackie Beat needs money to cover his upcoming double hip surgery.

by Anonymousreply 2402/13/2013

What... no picture of the crapper?

by Anonymousreply 2502/13/2013

I'm an antique collector and I have worked in an antique store for 15 years and it was super because you would be constantly learn and see beautiful old items for sale. Sorry, but her stuff isn't cute really cool retro, but just depressing looking crap from horrible periods, the late 60s to 70s! YUCK! However, I like her homage to the film Carrie,and I think she made an interesting point about the character Carrie, which she stated these bullies in school underestimated this girl who they considered to be a major school target to be picked on.

by Anonymousreply 2602/13/2013

Not for me. Ever. Just too over the top. But it seems fun and cool and perfect for a drag queen, I guess.

I love Highland Park. It will be the new Los Feliz, er Silverlake, er Echo Park...

by Anonymousreply 2702/13/2013

[quote]I'm an antique collector and I have worked in an antique store for 15 years

Boy, did YOU get a wrong number!

by Anonymousreply 2802/13/2013

R28, I'm sorry, what do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 2902/13/2013

I like it, I'd love to visit. And I think that every formal dining table should have a large goat on it.

And R26, I like the decor precisely because you disapprove of it. It isn't "really cool retro" stuff meant to impress hipsters and antique dealers, it seems to be stuff that Jackie actually likes. That makes any place charming, even the plates with sticky pictures of kittens. They look like they're from Delores Umbridge's office.

by Anonymousreply 3002/13/2013

Love me some Jackie B. Saw her years ago in WeHo production of "Valley Of The Dolls", as Helen Lawson. Brilliant production- JB was fabulous. However her house is not . It's not even well done tacky. If she was 18, and it was her first apt., maybe. But thought she'd have a better sense of style. I like a bit of whimsy - but this place is OD'ing on it. Get it together girl.

by Anonymousreply 3102/13/2013

Small and mundane camp.

by Anonymousreply 3202/13/2013

It's exactly what I imagined a drag queen's house would look like. I like it.

by Anonymousreply 3302/13/2013

I have no idea who "Jackie Beat" is, but drag queens are NEVER stylish.

How embarrassing that the L.A. Times would print such fecal matter.

by Anonymousreply 3402/13/2013

Well said R34, and the it begs for money for new hips.

by Anonymousreply 3502/13/2013

Everything r31 said. I don't hate it. It's fine. But despite all the funky stuff, it's kind of bland. Very all-purpose-60s-70s. I was hoping for more distinctively interesting and stylish.

by Anonymousreply 3602/13/2013

[quote]I have no idea who "Jackie Beat" is

by Anonymousreply 3702/13/2013

Looks like it would smell. How can she afford it, she's never been in anything major?

by Anonymousreply 3802/13/2013

R38? Uhm? 99.9% her stuff is garage sale, thrift shop junk. I'm not knocking garage sale buys and thrift shops because you can find terrific stuff. The problem is her stuff is not really good garage sale, thrift shop finds from the 60s and 70s which are very cheap. BTW, her finds are what hipsters want, 60s and 70s junk.

by Anonymousreply 3902/14/2013

R37 thanks for showing us it is just another typical talent free drag queen.

by Anonymousreply 4002/14/2013

The Jason Mecier portrait is gorgeous. I really love his work. And I love the apartment, too. I'm glad its not too refined or precious, just full of cool junk that JB appreciates.

by Anonymousreply 4102/14/2013

"thanks for showing us it is just another typical talent free drag queen. "

I don't think drag is now, or ever was, about being the most talented. It's all about image and being "fierce," as Ru Paul would say.

by Anonymousreply 4202/14/2013

I really liked the green glass too. I wonder why that's the favorite element here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 4302/14/2013

Two words

Hid eous.

by Anonymousreply 4402/14/2013

A wretched human being. Mean, bitter and cruel.

by Anonymousreply 4502/14/2013

Jesus, a ton of people are donating money for her hips!

by Anonymousreply 4602/14/2013

I donated. Saw Jackie's Xmas show this past year in Silverlake and loved it.

And she's a drag queen that actually attempts to sing. I have respect for that. Jackie is part of the band Dirty Sanchez.

by Anonymousreply 4702/14/2013

Every bit as tasteful as I imagined a drag queen's home to be . . .

by Anonymousreply 4802/14/2013

I do hope some rich bitch helps her out. There, that's out of the way.

The picket fenced yard inside a fenced yard rocks.

Those bottles were once used as theft deterrents in antique shops. If you loaded up your windows with cheap glassware, thieves would move on to other, more predictable points of entry.

While most of the decorations look like they were purchased while stoned, they do capture the whole point of drag queens - turning cheap cast-offs into ephemeral delights.

It's West Hollywood. The raw land is worth much more than any improvements. Throwing disposable jokes against the walls will do no harm.

Oh, and bitch needs to lose weight if she's getting new hips. A paid endorsement for the local gay gym might do her and her pocketbook a world of good.

by Anonymousreply 4902/14/2013

[quote] Margaret Cho gave $1,000.00 February 6th, 2013

LOL good for Margaret!

by Anonymousreply 5002/14/2013

There's nothing personal, just an immature narcissist screaming for attention. To spend every day of your life like some grotesque combo of: college emo girl/ pampered '60's suburban wife would be nightmarish.

by Anonymousreply 5102/14/2013

R47 I can't believe I watched that entire video... and then watched it again! Something hypnotic about it and the lyrics aren't bad even if the music is a little bit repetitive.

There's something about it, though... a mystique.

by Anonymousreply 5202/14/2013

I've seen a couple of Jackie's shows, and she is laugh-out-loud funny. She's not your typical drag queen who just comes on stage and lip-synchs, she tells hilariously inappropriate jokes and stories, and sings her own songs. At one of her shows that I attended, she did this parody of Tina Turner's 'Private Dancer' and had the audience in hysterics.

by Anonymousreply 5302/14/2013

I love the Golden Girls portrait

by Anonymousreply 5402/14/2013

Better link to Jackie's "Private Dancer" parody.

by Anonymousreply 5502/14/2013

Thanks, r37!

Saw her perform this number at The Castro a few years ago.

She's a fun person, and he's a nice guy who is a friend of a friend. Wish I could donate.

by Anonymousreply 5602/14/2013

Jackie is obviously a Datalounger:

she worships "Carrie" and "The Golden Girls"!

by Anonymousreply 5702/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!