Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

British immigration to the United States - Does it need to be tightened up?

Someone else mentioned something about this in another thread and it made me think how easy it is for British people to migrate to the U.S. for work, extended stays and to obtain citizenship.

I live and work in New York and sometimes it seems like they outnumber the locals.

Yet, immigration from Mexico and the Caribbean as well as other countries always seems to be bitched about.

Why are the gates to the U.S. so open to Europeans, especially the British when we made it so difficult for people from other areas to come here? Is it an unfair double standard or is there a justification to it?

by Anonymousreply 13501/11/2013

We love their accents; they abhor ours

by Anonymousreply 210/27/2010

My partner is English and it wasn't all that easy for him to get a visa. He had to go through all the same channels as everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 410/27/2010

There are lots of Germans, French, Spanish, Italians here too it's just that you don't understand what they're saying so, subconsciously, you lump them into a group called "the help" and ignore them.

by Anonymousreply 510/27/2010

R3, Scientists took mentally challenged Brits, Inserted them into the highest positions in American publishing and those publications flourished. A British accent improves company performance, solidifies class stratification, and makes Bostonians cry.

by Anonymousreply 610/27/2010

Thanks R6, now go away.

by Anonymousreply 710/27/2010

[quote]it made me think how easy it is for British people to migrate to the U.S. for work, extended stays and to obtain citizenship.

It isn't easy unless you are sponsored by a US company and have a well paying job. It's probably easier for an American to work in the UK for one of the many US companies based here than it is for a Brit to work in the US.

[quote]British accent

There's no such thing! There are different British accents, hundreds, in fact including many varieties of Scots, Welsh and English.

by Anonymousreply 810/27/2010

Don't look at me!

by Anonymousreply 910/27/2010

But they're all British accents, R8.

by Anonymousreply 1010/27/2010

I thought it was "English accent", no?

by Anonymousreply 1110/27/2010

You moron. There are 14+ million illegal Mexicans/Latin Americans in this country and God only knows how many "legal" ones. How can you even compare this to the hundreds or even thousands of Brits here on legal work visas?!?%0D %0D By the way, these Brits speak perfect English, are usually well educated, and for the most part have some form of employment or sponsorship. These are the type of immigrants that this country needs; not ones that have swum across the Rio Grande to exploit our welfare system.

by Anonymousreply 1210/27/2010

A person from England would have an English accent. A person from Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) would have a British accent.

by Anonymousreply 1310/27/2010

W/e! It's a terrible accent!

by Anonymousreply 1410/27/2010

R3/7 = cunt. Find him on the football thread being a cunt there too.

by Anonymousreply 1510/27/2010

I have never understood where the English get off bitching about our English when they stick an -er sound after words such as "vodka" (vodker) and Celia (Celier). It's called dialect you stuck up little snots.

I've also noticed they really like to get all morally superior over what we did to Native Indians many moons ago. Because, as we all know, the English were little saints all over the globe as they tried to colonize everyone, since everyone else were all barbarians that needed to be civilized and become English. AND they have the nerve to call Australians criminals. The English, who were having difficulty getting their people to go populate new colonies made just about everything a crime, so they could have an excuse to ship them off with their families to places like AUS and Canada.

The US is becoming such a police state, but from what I've heard the UK is really bad. I have no desire to go.

by Anonymousreply 1610/27/2010

It's simple, OP. European immigrants are light skinned, not the evil brown people from godknowswhere.

by Anonymousreply 1810/27/2010

R12 is right.

by Anonymousreply 1910/27/2010

Yes well we all know the US is the centre of the universe don't we? You're all parochial and most of you don't even have passports anyway, so we won't have to worry about you coming to the UK. Have a nice day.

by Anonymousreply 2010/27/2010

R16 -- I thought that was Boston

by Anonymousreply 2110/27/2010

In my experience they have very nice cocks, so they can stay.

by Anonymousreply 2210/27/2010

I know several Brits over here who are illegals. They came on H1 visas and just stayed. They work but I don't know how they can live like they do. Everytime they travel is a risk. One got deported trying to get back into Houston from a trip home. Another one picks heavy tourist areas like Orlando, Miami, and Vegas and once he gets through there he flies on down. I guess the tourist heavy areas have laxer security.

by Anonymousreply 2310/27/2010

If most Brits who enter this country are well-educated then they're a step up on r12 and r19.

by Anonymousreply 2410/27/2010

I have a serious question about the term "British". I was told that I should not use it, as people from Wales want to be referred to as Welsh, and people from Scotland as Scottish. They do not identify as "British". I've heard that only the English are happy to be referred to as "British". Is this correct?

by Anonymousreply 2510/27/2010

[quote]It's called dialect you stuck up little snots. %0D %0D Actually, dialect is about the specific words that are defined by regional use not the pronunciation of those words. Saying "pop" for soda is an example of mid-western US dialect. Pronouncing the word "pop" as "pahhp" is an example of a mid-western accent. %0D %0D By the way, we in northern New England do the same things with our 'r' sounds that some Brits do. We drop them from words that end in 'r' and add them to words that end in 'a.' Again, that's an example of our regional accent, not our dialect.

by Anonymousreply 2610/27/2010

British is just a catch all. We all prefer to be called by our country or even county or city name e.g. English or Mancunian.

by Anonymousreply 2710/27/2010

People in trailer parks voted for Obama, R28? Nah, they're your McCain/Palin pickin' types.

by Anonymousreply 2910/27/2010

[italic]The US is becoming such a police state[/italic]

In what way, dear?

by Anonymousreply 3010/27/2010

r12 is among the Tea Partiers who think Mexican immigrants are exploiting our welfare system. Actually, millions of them are paying into our system and getting nothing back. r12 probably also thinks crime is higher among Mexican immigrants -- it's lower -- and that illegal immigration is increasing, when it has actually fallen because of the economy.

by Anonymousreply 3110/27/2010

It is funny how many people profess sympathy with the poor and the powerless unless they happen to be white and living in trailer parks.%0D %0D Gun-toting rednecks who vote for their own in McCain/Palin are scum while Welfare Baby-Mammas who live in the projects and vote for Obama's skin color get a pass.

by Anonymousreply 3210/27/2010

Mexico sorely needs all the money it's illegal-in America citizens are filling US coffers with. It is your duty as a legal American on the dole or earning minimum wage to tell these interlopers from across the rio grand to go home and support their own government.

Present it in a good natured "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" manner for having successfully dismantling the previously inordinate high wages Americans had been extorting from their poor employers for way too long. Now the employer is rich again and has all the low wage earners needed domestically and thanks, but your services are no longer required. Give each of them a medal in appreciation for their work while being illegal.

by Anonymousreply 3310/27/2010

The US and GB were cool in the 1960s. The Beatles, the Beach Boys, the Stones, Bob Dylan, hippies, the mod scene, swingin' London, Haight-Ashbury, windchimes, zen, antiheroes, great films..%0D %0D Now GB is a nation filled with puking and pissing young alcoholics and the US gives the world George W Bush, Sarah Palin, Dick Cheney, Lindsay Lohan..%0D %0D oy.... as in "oy vey."

by Anonymousreply 3410/27/2010

[R32] It's called being a Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 3510/27/2010

r12 i love you.

by Anonymousreply 3610/27/2010

I've known many British and Irish immigrants over the years, and they are all educated and productive members of society who hold jobs. They'll never ask for a handout.

by Anonymousreply 3710/27/2010

The British in general don't go to the US and break the law. They are usually peaceful, working people. They assimilate. They are fine.

by Anonymousreply 3810/27/2010

It's not that easy, from what I've heard. A UK editor who works on a big name magazine was using a work visa to stay in the US half the year for work, and recently had it revoked because they decided she didn't have any reason to come to the US despite having an important job here for years.%0D %0D I remember this all clearly because she's a selfish, petulant little child emotionally, and at first I assumed she'd pissed off Customs or the State Dept. But when this all went down, several people reported that they too had problems coming to the US from the UK even if they had work and good reason to be here.

by Anonymousreply 3910/27/2010

Technically, yes, but we *do* owe them for taking Gwyneth.

by Anonymousreply 4010/27/2010

I say let them all in.

by Anonymousreply 4110/27/2010

Anything that keeps Tina Brown away is good.

by Anonymousreply 4210/27/2010

I'm English and it took me 3 years to get a visa to live here. That means that I had to have a long distance relationship with my partner because gay marriage was not legal or recognized, so think about that before you spout nonsense about how easy it is to come to the USA. I found it incredibly hard. I had to study for months, take my nursing exam although I was fully qualified in England, and then wait years for the visa which is now not even available anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4310/27/2010

R43, no sympathy for YOU. Sorry. I can understand people coming to America from 3rd world countries, but those who come over from England just don't garner the same sympathy. In most cases they're dilettantes who feel like they're big fish in a small pond, so they bring their pasty asses to the U.S. where the best they can find is a middle management job pulling in $80,000 (meanwhile regaling their trashy American friends with stories of their manors in jolly old England).

by Anonymousreply 4410/27/2010

The United States sets a specific allotment of immigrants from each nation, some for work visas, some for emigration, etc.

The numbers are set in advance and if a nation's emigrant applicants exceed their allotment it is very difficult to get exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 4510/27/2010

I love you OP. I wish we could stop them from coming to Canada too. I fucking hate all the limey bastards here!

by Anonymousreply 4610/27/2010

Bloody poms...

by Anonymousreply 4710/27/2010

Ruby Wax, got married to a Brit specifically to gain citizenship in the 80s, to get away from her crazy father in America.

by Anonymousreply 4810/27/2010

How sad that DL has now been invaded by Fascist typists so well represented by r28. The poor dumb fucker doesn't have a clue that he's clueless, but takes great pride in sharing his monkey wits on DL. Such a shame. What's this world coming to.

by Anonymousreply 5010/27/2010

I'd rather they stay - cheaper lawn maintenance.

by Anonymousreply 5110/27/2010

I prefer them to the Mesicans. At least they speak a type of English.

by Anonymousreply 5210/27/2010

[R50] is a horse's ass. Must be a Democrat!

by Anonymousreply 5410/27/2010

[quote]The United States sets a specific allotment of immigrants from each nation%0D %0D Can we give some of Britain's allotment to, say, Japan? The Japanese display better manners and are more productive.

by Anonymousreply 5510/27/2010

r54 is horse shit. Must be a Tea Fascist Republican.

By the way, I am indeed a horse's ass, but my politics are much too far left of what now passes as Democrat. Next time, get your shit straight, Tea Fascist.

by Anonymousreply 5610/27/2010

The Jerry Springer Opera had one really good song...

by Anonymousreply 5710/28/2010

NO, British immigration to America should not be tightened up. In fact it should be loosened up and encouraged. We should offer a large sum of money to any and all Brits who meet minimum socioeconomic conditions to resettle in the US. Hopefully so many would come that it would drive out as many of the native born scumbags, trash, and thugs we currently have in this country as possible.

The US is a vile place to live now. Bringing in more middle to upper class Brits can only make things better.

And no I'm not British, thank you. But I certainly wish I was.

by Anonymousreply 5810/28/2010

[quote]all Brits who meet minimum socioeconomic conditions

[quote]Bringing in more middle to upper class Brits can only make things better.

You do know that in the UK class has nothing to do with earnings.

by Anonymousreply 5910/28/2010

OP, New York is filled with documented, very well educated immigrants from all over Latin America in high paying jobs as well. You may only know Brits, but I'd suggest you get out more.%0D %0D There are no quotas, OP.%0D %0D However, when it comes to undocumented immigration, there is a much higher percentage of that from Latin America than from the UK. Why? Because there are a lot more people in Latin America, which comprises the majority of nations on two continents, and many offshore islands, and includes hundreds of millions of people, many of whom need work, including many Mexicans who live in a nation actually bordering on the U.S.. Compare the UK, an island nation of less than one hundred million people, off continental Europe.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6110/28/2010

"I think we need to lock the boarders down."%0D %0D Note to all to stay out of r60's boarding house.

by Anonymousreply 6210/28/2010

It would be an exercise in futility, OP. I'm British and non of my countrymen/women have ever expressed to me, a desire to move to the United States. It's usually Spain and France; sometimes Australia and Canada. But never America. I find this puzzling, as I'd move there tomorrow: the United States of America is a nation of such attractive, thin and erudite people. Because of the obvious cultural superiority of your nation, OP, I fear my fellow Brits have an inferiority complex :(

by Anonymousreply 6310/28/2010

None of my fellow countrymen/women have ever expressed a desire to live there either R63 - except perhaps for one, but then she religiously watches Eastenders so we don't take her too seriously. I don't hate America, there are many fascinating things about your culture and it sells well in this country, but much of what we see is an ignorant, insular, bigotted and quite gullible population of uneducated people. There are so many grammar queens on this board, yet when you open your mouths, your diction is appalling. I would find it utterly painful to be surrounded by that all day every day. Tighten up immigration all you like - won't affect me in the least.

by Anonymousreply 6410/28/2010

OP, I mean honestly, good luck with the way the US is going because sooner or later when Palin is running it (and sadly not Michael) and the Tea Party are in charge Brits will be the least of your concerns. %0D %0D I wonder if the UK should shut its borders to the number of US gays trying to get out once all hell breaks loose and Obama gets booted out. Oh right, wait, you'll probably flock to that other other country you hate, Canada.%0D %0D As I say, good luck with it, OP. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6510/29/2010

i have to say i find all this the biggest load of shit i have ever seen. i have never want to come to america with some of your attitudes. you make out that all britsh people are cockney or lords of the manor and frankly it sickens me. you are speaking our laungage english and how we say it is correct. as far as im cocerned your country is a joke. we are called great for a reason you stick your nose in to other countries troubles then drag us in to it if you took more time to look at your self and stopped judging others that is another thing you americans like to do. if you all love your country so much then do something instead of making nasty comments. one last thing fuck you

by Anonymousreply 6611/16/2012

I'm guessing that came from a Google search.

by Anonymousreply 6711/16/2012

We seem to be getting a lot of google search folk just dying to be offended.

by Anonymousreply 6811/16/2012

being a brit in briton all i can say is that i am thrilled we are able to piss off someone as immigrants as every other fucking eastern european country does to us..

i can sleep well tonight..

and before you close the doors please give shelter the following talentless brits which need a new home :

david walliams kelly brook every reality tv contestent keep jeremy kyle! jade goody's ashes jodie marsh and so on

by Anonymousreply 6911/16/2012

Unfortunately, Jeremy Kyle is already on American television, R69!

by Anonymousreply 7011/16/2012

I don't think it needs to be tightened. While some of them may be here illegally the most of the ones I know of are in the States because of specific skill sets. Last I heard the immigration flow from N. Europe to the U.S. is very tight. I don't see N.Y being flooded with British.

by Anonymousreply 7111/16/2012

Brits are most often well educated and that allows them greater egress into the US. Most of the dark skinned people are fleeing their shithole countries with just their tattetred undies and sometimes a shirt on there back. Many of these latin types read poorly so they can't make it through the maze of US regulations.

This is also why there are so many Indians here in the US doing better than your average American.

by Anonymousreply 7211/16/2012

I'm an actor who would love to relocate to the UK to work but it's extremely difficult. It isn't equitable that so many of their actors (I'm not talking "names" or "stars") are allowed to work here.

by Anonymousreply 7311/16/2012

[quote]I have a serious question about the term "British". I was told that I should not use it, as people from Wales want to be referred to as Welsh, and people from Scotland as Scottish. They do not identify as "British". I've heard that only the English are happy to be referred to as "British". Is this correct?

Not really. It depends on the person. Some Scots/Welsh are fiercely pro-devolution and do not identify as British and hate being called British. Some are fiercely pro-unity and strongly identify as British and hate being called non-British. The majority in my experience aren't really that bothered but definitely identify primarily as Scottish/Welsh.

In general referring to someone as Scottish/Welsh rather than British is a safe bet since no Scot/Welsh person would be offended by that, whereas calling them British, there's a risk they might be. But don't say 'oh you're not British' because some do get very upset with that. I mean, we are all British - that's our official nationality, that's the name of the country and what's stamped on our passports, whether people like it or not.

by Anonymousreply 7611/16/2012

The anti-Brit troll's still on a rage bender after the election, then? Good to know.

by Anonymousreply 7711/16/2012

[quote]This is also why there are so many Indians here in the US doing better than your average American. Education.

Education, but more, a willingness to promote anti-US worker payscales and job environments, and to claim infrastructure that Americans built as their own.

by Anonymousreply 7811/16/2012

Meanwhile, we fly under the radar.

by Anonymousreply 7911/16/2012

Asians only please.

by Anonymousreply 8011/16/2012

We want more hot British accents here...

by Anonymousreply 8111/16/2012

[quote]I think we need to lock the boarders down to them myself.

Can I ask, are these boarders needing a good locking down more likely to be found in a rooming house or at the seaside?

by Anonymousreply 8211/16/2012

r69 I will gladly take them all but FUCKING take back the OSBORNES!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8411/16/2012

Let's take the Osbornes and send over the Kardashians...r84

by Anonymousreply 8511/16/2012

Wow every so often you see a thread which is basically an excuse to bash the British.

It is all so boring and predictable and full of crap.

"Oh if only the English stayed in England and we didn't have to deal with them "blah blah blah.

"They have destroyed the world and why are they in our faces like all the time."

Seriously I am glad you have to deal with the English,cause a lot of people have to deal with you.Insipid shows,second rate celebrities who can't act.( Please someone explain to me how Jennifer Aniston is considered an actress!!)

As for imperial power,what the fuck has history been about in the last 70 years but the fucking rise of the US.

Do you want to know the funniest thing ? From an outsiders perspective you are both seen as the same.You speak the same language and have the same ideals.To some people you are interchangeable,so fucking kiss and make up already!!!

by Anonymousreply 8611/17/2012

Yeah, this is not an "issue." You're on the Internet. No one in the United States (outside of the anti-British troll upthread, perhaps) gives a shit about British immigration.

And I think that was the OP's point. That we flip our shit when brown people immigrate, but no one even registers the large concentration of Brits living in large American cities.

by Anonymousreply 8711/17/2012

The problem is one of competence. All the Brits who come here are charlatans who fuck up at home and try to reinvent themselves with an accent we rubes think sounds smart and a complete lack of shame: Piers Morgan, Jeremy Kyle, infomercial salesman, the Osbournes, Beckhams, etc.

by Anonymousreply 8811/17/2012

Lighten up, R86, the brits don't get bashed here excessively and certainly no more than others. Your whole rant is weird.

Also, too many exclamation points.

by Anonymousreply 8911/17/2012

I don't mind them...I live in Boston which is a very international city so I love to hear accents from all over the world. What I DO mind is the overload of British actors in American films. We get it-they're cheaper but I'm sick of it. If they're gonna use foreign, they can use from other countries too not just British.

by Anonymousreply 9011/17/2012

Too many pommie bastards here too,I'm sick of them.

by Anonymousreply 9211/17/2012

Are you kidding, r89? The anti-Brit troll is infamous for constantly starting dozens (probably hundreds, over the years) of threads, ranting about how evil, dumb, chavvy, etc. etc. Brits are and basically frothing at the mouth.

This thread is pretty sedate, by comparison. We haven't had any rants about Brits being 'Muzzie-lovers' who throw anyone who says anything that isn't pro-Islam into prison, or paranoid rants about the British government engaging in widespread book banning (remember those wacky Tom Cruise biography threads?), or mandatory ID cards yet.

by Anonymousreply 9311/17/2012

This is a rather odd thread. My company has had its fair share of Americans (and Aussies, and Kiwis and French and Germans and Canadians) but no one here is running around foaming at the mouth about it. It's a global economy, OP, deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 9511/17/2012

Pedro @ r17 get out there and cut my lawn.

by Anonymousreply 9611/17/2012

Would that the numbers were reversed and there were millions of Brits here and only a few thousand Mexicans r12! Mexico and Canada (or the mother country, Britain)--compare the two then get back before you rant on and on and on like a broken record about "bigotry" "moron" (a way overused word here--try and think of another if you can), etc, etc, etc...*ho-hum*

by Anonymousreply 9711/17/2012

If a million Brits showed up in LA (and there were only a handful of Mexicans) the Mexicans would go back to being invisible and everyone would hate on the Brits for being "snobby" and being here.

by Anonymousreply 9811/17/2012

[quote]Nah. No 'we' don't [R2]. As a matter of fact, 'we' find the British accent dated, affected and increasingly annoying with every syllable they utter.

Ditto. The fascination with British accents is tired and the only Americans who think it's so wonderful are the flyovers who have never traveled anywhere. Go to any big city and you can find plenty of annoying Brits who have come to America with their annoying accent.

French, German, and Italian accents are MUCH more sexier and interesting.

by Anonymousreply 9901/10/2013

r90, you bumped up this thread because....?

by Anonymousreply 10001/10/2013

Couldn't agree with this more. Brits FLOOD into the U.S. while others more deserving must beg and often sneak into the country.

Americans are basically forbidden to work in the U.K., but Brits are allowed to walk in and work and live here as if they're fucking citizens.

Pop culture, media etc. is permeated with them. Time for them to go. The U.S. need to get the same clue the rest of the world has; the British are like human cockroaches and will simply invade a country and society and suck it dry.

by Anonymousreply 10101/10/2013

There was a time years ago that I once wanted to work in the UK, but they practically make it damn near impossible for an American to work there. Yet these fucking Brits can just come over to our country and do whatever the fuck they want and get jobs with no problem! And then they fucking act like they're hot shit and better than everyone else.

I think that if the UK wants to make it so hard for Americans to work there, then we should make it hard for Brits to work in the US. So sick of America letting in all of these foreigners when their countries don't do the same for us.

by Anonymousreply 10201/10/2013

I used to love the British accent but now I find it as annoying and off-putting as a twangy Southern accent. Am I xenophobic?

by Anonymousreply 10301/10/2013

We would like to limit the number of New Yorkers who emigrate here. They are obnoxious and seem to be everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 10401/10/2013

All joking aside, I love the U.K. and, like most Americans feel a deep kinship with the British.

That said however, I do think there are entirely too many of them here for work and filling the airwaves, particularly with so many Americans would enjoy the same opportunity in the U.K. but aren't allowed.

I also find it insulting that the U.S. put near impossible restrictions on people from Latin America, Asia, South America etc. to migrate here to live and work, but an open floodgate to U.K. citizens (as well as Canadians) is acceptable. I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 10501/10/2013

R102, Oh silly Americans! If you want to immigrate to Britain, here's what you do.

Step 1: Move to Pakistan. Step 2: Get Pakistani citizenship Step 3: Enter Britain on a tourist or study visa (it doesn't have to be for a real university) Step 4: Apply for asylum and claim that your human rights will be violated if you're sent back to Karachi Step 5: British passport in no time!

by Anonymousreply 10601/10/2013

All Immigration needs to hear is that lovely accent and they are waved right into the US. We just cant get enough of that. Provided it isn't a British accent from the "Islands."

by Anonymousreply 10701/10/2013

I remember this thread -- it was created in parody of a thread questioning the huge numbers of Latinos, and Asians being allowed in. (The Bay Area is now 40% Asian, up from 10% only 30 years ago.)

by Anonymousreply 10801/10/2013

R108 Someone may have started it as a parody thread, but the truth is a lot of us are sick of British immigration as well.

by Anonymousreply 10901/10/2013

[quote]it was created in parody..

Uhm, no. No, it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 11001/10/2013

My partner's sister lived in NYC with an illegal alien from South Africa for years. He taught ESL. I have a relative (American) who spent years in college getting two master's degrees to teach ESL and this illegal South African guy just waltzed in and got a job. It's the accent. Idiot Americans love those clipped accents. Jewish New Yorkers seem to be even more enthralled than average by British and South African accents, believing the speakers to be extremely high class. Even though the ZA guy was from a very working class background, the people at the Jewish foundation which got him the job treated him as if he he were Bonnie Prince Charlie.

by Anonymousreply 11301/10/2013

[quote] The Bay Area is now 40% Asian, up from 10% only 30 years ago.)

There was a massive influx of Chinese into US and Canadian cities leading up to the 1999 transfer of Hong Kong from Britain back to China. They were given political asylum. And what did I see out my window when Hong Kong was given back to china? A HUGE red and gold fireworks display paid for by the Chinese immigrants, who couldn't have been happier.

Many Chinese immigrants now go back and forth between Hong Kong and US/Canada on a regular basis. The owner of the salon I go to came here in the 1980s. Her son went to school here, got so-so grades and now works for a company in Hong Kong, where he lives with his wife, children and servants.

by Anonymousreply 11401/10/2013

R113 --

I don't know if it is the case now, but back in the 70s and 80s, all the Hollywood Industry Jewish guys wanted British secretaries. They'd pay these gals more than any one else in the office (sort of like how Jennifer was the highest paid employee at WKRP).

by Anonymousreply 11501/10/2013

I think the demand for white guys by hisspanics at every gay bar they go to, will require more Brits. White guys are their trophy husbands. It's a simple case of supply and demand.

by Anonymousreply 11601/10/2013

r112 - irony?

by Anonymousreply 11701/10/2013

Who the hell bumped this ancient thread?

by Anonymousreply 11801/10/2013

R115 That's a Jewish American thing(not only amongst Hollywood executives but other industries as well), hiring English secretaries. They believe that it classes up a place.Much along the lines of the expression: "Dress British, Think Yiddish."

It's funny about Brits(Welsh,Scottish,English and Ulster Presbyterians) ...there are a ton in Hollywood right now. On the other hand,it's difficult for an American to work in their film industry.

by Anonymousreply 11901/10/2013

I noticed watching the remake of Upstairs Downstairs that some of the "American" guests had accents that were very off so I'm assuming they were Brits putting on an American accent. Are there any Americans working in TV over there currently that are hired when they need Americans?

by Anonymousreply 12001/10/2013

Michael Brandon, who has lived there since the 80s. He married the South African actress who played his partner on Dempsey and Makepeace.He's from Brooklyn and Long island and his New York accent is very pronounced!

by Anonymousreply 12101/10/2013

Britain allows people like Gillian Anderson, Kim Cattrall to play Americans. Anderson lived in London and Cattrall was born in the UK. Elizabeth Whatsherface on Uptown Downstairs Abbey is married to a Brit and lives in the UK.

Veronica Cartwright said got the job in Alien because she was born in the UK. There were a number of American actors in the movie and they hired Veronica because she had an American accent but a British passport, so she technically qualified as a British cast member along with John Hurt and Ian Holmes.

American tv now hires a lot of UK actors because they work cheap.

by Anonymousreply 12201/10/2013

Ronnie Cartwright has lived in America for most of her life. remember the Twilight Zone episode "I Sing The Body Electric"? She spoke like an American even back then and she has lived in California all these years not Britain.

Catrall grew up in Canada and was born in Liverpool. Her English accent is quite bad actually,when she does one!

Most British actors want to work here because the money's much better especially for TV work.It's amazing how many Canucks, Aussies and Brits are on US tv right now.

by Anonymousreply 12301/10/2013

I love the English and Irish that come here and find that they are very patient people-more so than most Americans.

But could someone explain the Scots to me? My God, such odd ducks!

by Anonymousreply 12401/10/2013

**glug glug glug glug***

by Anonymousreply 12501/10/2013

Shouldn't that be load of shite, r66?

by Anonymousreply 12601/10/2013

I assume when I encounter Brits living here that they have American spouses.

by Anonymousreply 12701/10/2013

How are their teeth?

by Anonymousreply 12801/10/2013

Yes, Pet, now off you go, back downstairs.

by Anonymousreply 12901/10/2013

Working for a British company can help if you're thinking of working in the UK. I currently work in the NYC office of a British company and travel to the London office often for meetings. Because I'm listed as working for a British company on a number of networking sites, I get calls from recruiters asking if I would be interested in moving to the UK full-time to work (the company would sponsor me in the visa process.)

by Anonymousreply 13001/10/2013

Should have been about 150 years ago.

Thick Micks who couldn't even work out how to plant a potato...

by Anonymousreply 13101/10/2013

[quote] Ronnie Cartwright has lived in America for most of her life. remember the Twilight Zone episode "I Sing The Body Electric"? She spoke like an American even back then and she has lived in California all these years not Britain.

Veronica Cartwright is still British. She has a British passport. She has said so herself in many interviews. I found a recent one on YouTube, where she talks about having an American accent but fulfilling UK working quotas because "I'm still British."

by Anonymousreply 13301/10/2013

Interesting that Veronica Cartwright... aka "Ronnie" ...... still considers herself British.

by Anonymousreply 13501/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!