Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Marshalls'' entire inventory comprised of assistant fuck-ups?

How is that a sustainable business model?

by Anonymousreply 2910/25/2010

The inventory or the staff, OP?

by Anonymousreply 110/24/2010

I have no idea, but the Targets and Krogers seem to do just fine with humorless bitch-faces running everything.

by Anonymousreply 210/24/2010

The inventory not the staff. Their inventory is all mistakes of other buyers. Their assistants forgot to put a decimal so they order 10,000 instead of 100. Their assistant forgot to call to cancel an order so they get 5000 extra black leather boots. How could there be so many assistant fuck-ups to sustain this business model? If no one messes up, Marshalls would have no inventory.

by Anonymousreply 310/24/2010

"How could there be so many assistant fuck-ups to sustain this business model? "

I'm guessing you don't know to read retail companies' financial statements.

Additionally, there are major sales disasters & just bits & pieces of leftover seasonal inventory. It's not as though any buyer can hit the sales total on the nose when purchasing stock. Both wind up at Marshalls.

by Anonymousreply 410/24/2010

OP, haughty buyers who lose their cell phones at fashion shows are as much to blame as anyone.

by Anonymousreply 510/24/2010

OP - I got your posting. The first couple of replies obviously don't realize that you are referencing their commercials.

I bet the new one is based on Brad and Taylor from Rachel Zoe's show.

by Anonymousreply 610/24/2010

I guess their fuck-ups becomes our shopportunity.

by Anonymousreply 710/24/2010

It's just an ad campaign. Much like most ad campaigns, it's most likely full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 810/24/2010

I always thought it was stuff that didn't sell at department stores.

by Anonymousreply 910/24/2010

I learned this on Datalounge years ago. Apparently, major brands produce lines just for outlet stores.

by Anonymousreply 1010/24/2010

It may have started out that way OP, but I think by now there are so many Marshall's, Ross's, and TJMaxx's that there is no way that is possible. Besides how could anyone possibly over-order that much crap from the Ralph Lauren CHAPS line.

by Anonymousreply 1110/24/2010

They do, R10. But, still, a lot of the Marshall's, TJ Maxx inventory is actually stuff that isn't specifically made for them and really is extra or incorrect orders from department stores.

Kohl's would be a place where the stuff like Champion athletic gear, and nearly all the athletic shoes are specifically made for Kohls.

by Anonymousreply 1210/25/2010

This is part of the marketing function of any producer. Given a fixed and variable cost per unit, Company A knows It can sell x number of units for premium price with vendors, y number of units for medium price and z number of units to discount houses.

The key to success is that consumers of premium priced goods do not generally shop at discount stores and consumers of discounted goods do not generally shop at premium stores. Premium shoppers are paying to find things in their size without digging through shit.

Now, add in a production cycle that substitutes cheaper variable cost materials - cloth or thread- and you give credence to the myth that manufacturers create lower quality goods for the outlet market.

Remember Geoffrey Beene? That's a label that got dropped by department stores and began dumping clothes on discounters. DKNY is a brand I never see carried by department stores, yet new merchandise shows up at discount premium all the time.

by Anonymousreply 1310/25/2010

damn

by Anonymousreply 1410/25/2010

[quote]If no one messes up, Marshalls would have no inventory.%0D %0D And that would happen in what universe?

by Anonymousreply 1510/25/2010

A company would never lie in their commercials would they? I mean, don't most people consider TV commercials to be a form of Cinema Verite?

by Anonymousreply 1610/25/2010

Can't find the grammar nazi thread so I'll say it here: should be "composed of", not "comprised of".

Is Marshalls' entire inventory composed of assistant fuck-ups?

or

Does Marshall's entire inventory comprise assistant fuck-ups?

by Anonymousreply 1710/25/2010

w

by Anonymousreply 1810/25/2010

I HATE their homophobic commercial where the bright, 'cute' blonde assistant is complaining about her cliche', stereotypical, darkly dressed, prissy, mincing gay counterpart who also ordered the boots.

Could they be anymore obvious? Why wouldn't they have made the female the bitchy, eye rolling one?

by Anonymousreply 1910/25/2010

Love their Home Goods stores.

by Anonymousreply 2010/25/2010

Oh R19, that guy is obviously based on the dude from Rachel Zoe and not meant to be offensive or homophobic. The little guy is cute too!

You could just as easily say she's a blonde stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 2110/25/2010

There are jobbers who circulate among department stores buying up the things that sit on the racks longer than the store wants them there. Has nothing to do with mistakes. Think about all the department stores in your area. There is a shit ton of that stuff all the time. That is the majority of the stock.

by Anonymousreply 2210/25/2010

[quote]Now, add in a production cycle that substitutes cheaper variable cost materials - cloth or thread- and you give credence to the myth that manufacturers create lower quality goods for the outlet market.

That is just a myth. You mean to tell me that Ralph Lauren produces an outlet line with inferior materials?

by Anonymousreply 2310/25/2010

[quote] I have no idea, but the Targets and Krogers seem to do just fine with humorless bitch-faces running everything.

We don't shop at Target anymore. I'm guessing you didn't get the memo.

by Anonymousreply 2410/25/2010

"You mean to tell me that Ralph Lauren produces an outlet line with inferior materials?"

Yes, as does Armani, Calvin Klein, Ann Taylor, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2510/25/2010

Then where do you shop, R24? TJ Maxx? Ross Crossdress for Less?

by Anonymousreply 2610/25/2010

R23 The clothes at outlet malls are nowhere near the quality and style at proper retail shops or advertised in Vogue. The outlets and TJMaxx/Marshalls mostly carry logo wear and basics.

by Anonymousreply 2710/25/2010

The buyers make deals with vendors to buy overstock. Sometime the vendor will cut special merchandise just for the buyer. Some department stores sell soiled or flawed merchandise to buyers or send it back to the vendor. That merchandise is then sold to the "off price" stores.

by Anonymousreply 2810/25/2010

R25, I work at Ralph Lauren and that is NOT true. Stop spreading lies. It does you no good.

by Anonymousreply 2910/25/2010
Need more help? Click Here.