Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Betty Broderick will be on the Oprah show today

I can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 14209/18/2013

Well?

by Anonymousreply 110/22/2010

False alarm, it was a few minutes of old footage from a 1992 interview.

by Anonymousreply 310/22/2010

That fat bitch ain't NEVER getting out jail if I have anything to say about it!

by Anonymousreply 410/22/2010

Good lord, OP. I wasted about 3 minutes trying to Google that shit. WTF!?

by Anonymousreply 510/22/2010

She's never going to get out. She won't express remorse for what she's done. She thinks SHE was the victim and that it was "either him or me." She's probably right about that. Dan and Linda Broderick DID seem determined to destroy her. But since she won't express remorse, no parole board is ever going to let her out. It's just as well. Prison is probably the best place for her.

by Anonymousreply 610/22/2010

"The gun just went off, I don't know what happened!" "It all happened so fast!" Yeah RIGHT you predatory fucking psycho hog.

by Anonymousreply 710/22/2010

I won't be [i]ignored[i], Dan.

by Anonymousreply 810/22/2010

"This message is for fuckhead and the cunt! You have a hell of a lotta nerve dumping the kids on me this weekend! Call me asshole, we need to talk!"

by Anonymousreply 910/22/2010

Every time the movie with Meredith Baxter is on Lifetime, I drop whatever I'm doing and watch it. Every single time. I can't help it, it's such a trainwreck.

One time, I tried to find out if it was ever released on dvd.

Yeah, I know.

by Anonymousreply 1110/23/2010

"Every time the movie with Meredith Baxter is on Lifetime, I drop whatever I'm doing and watch it. Every single time. I can't help it, it's such a trainwreck."%0D %0D It is fascinating, but very biased in favor of Dan and Linda. Dan was never that mild and reasonable. Linda was not the sweet innocent she seems to be in the movie. Betty was not the harridan she was portrayed as. You'd think she was always a total bitch from watching that movie, but that wasn't so; she didn't become a foul-mouthed crazy woman until Dan started cheating on her and left her. But it is fun to watch Meredith Baxter hamming it up as Crazy Betty.

by Anonymousreply 1210/23/2010

Of course it's horribly biased against Betty, R12 and not to be taken seriously or believed in the least.

But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the hell out of it because it is still the mother of all trainwrecks.

by Anonymousreply 1310/24/2010

I've still never actually managed to catch the movie, but god, every time American Justice would run the episode on her case, I'd watch just to see her testimony on the stand.

I can't help but have a soft-spot for that crazy old broad. I've seen first hand and up close how crazy infidelity can make someone.

by Anonymousreply 1410/24/2010

R11, you do know that it is available on DVD, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 1510/24/2010

This is one of the few people who murdered who I feel sorry for.%0D %0D Linda new wifey bragged to an old boyfriend about bullying Betty via the legal system. The boyfriend spoke on the record about it. It was repugnant to watch all of those attorney's rally around "poor Dan" just because of Dan's standing in society. Closed door court proceedings? Who does that??%0D %0D Agree with the above poster, Dan was beyond reprehensible, and wifey #2 was a slut. %0D %0D Betty should have just moved a few thousand miles away from them. Oh, but wait, she really didn't get that much money in the divorce to move with. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1610/24/2010

Betty is a fat hag. She got to have slender, lovely Meredith Baxter play her in the movie. She came out of it as well as she could.

If she hadn't let herself go like that and get crazy, she wouldn't have driven her husband away.

by Anonymousreply 1710/24/2010

I'd be pissed too if I got fat and ugly when my smoking hot husband only got HOTTER with age...

by Anonymousreply 1810/24/2010

They all come across as selfish and miserable people. As much as I love the movie, I don't feel sorry at all for Betty. She dumped the kids on his doorstep the minute he was out of the house and wanted nothing to do with them anymore, stating that it was now his job. What kind of loving and attentive parent does such a thing?%0D %0D And wasn't she making a bundle from a cushy real estate job that she had at the time of the murders? %0D %0D The fact that she doesn't express the slightest bit of remorse over what happened speaks volumes. She doesn't give a shit about depriving her children of having a stable childhood. She didn't care about being there for her kids and giving them at least one good parent. Some poster on here said that the kids are pretty fucked up from it. They're the only ones I feel sorry for.

by Anonymousreply 1910/24/2010

Who's Betty Broderick? Is she related to Matthew?

by Anonymousreply 2010/24/2010

My mother recently told me that when my father had the affair, she threatened that if he left her, he'd have to take us kids with him, knowing that would totally put a kink in the other woman's plans. Us kids were the most important thing in the world to her, at times it was probably to her own detriment, so I highly doubt it would've happened. It was all hypothetical though because he never wanted to leave her, and they went into counseling and are still married. But, I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the motivation behind Betty dropping the kids off with Fuckhead and the Cunt, knowing that the last thing second wife wanted was to raise first wife's kids. I'm not excusing it, because it was a shitty thing to do, but obviously Betty wasn't stable and I think this was just another example of that.

[On a side note, when i think how difficult I was as a teenager as it was, I can't even imagine what a terror I would've been if my mother *had* shipped us off to New Mommy.

by Anonymousreply 2110/24/2010

You can get A Woman Scorned and Her Final Fury together at Amazon.com. It's currently $17.99 for both...and well worth it.

by Anonymousreply 2210/24/2010

Betty was not a fat, bedraggled mess when Dan left her. She was an attractive woman. But she was in her late thirties and her body was not what it used to be. She'd been pregnnant nine times in 10 years. She gave birth to four children, had two miscarriages, two abortions and a baby who died three days after he was born. Basically Dan Broderick, having attained the wealth and prestige he always wanted, traded her in for a newer model. Linda Kolkena was the exact type he was looking for: a skinny blonde. She was only 21 years old; her body didn't have the wear and tear of age and a slew of pregnancies and miscarriages. And she was adoring and submissive, in contrast to Betty, who was no shrinking violet. %0D %0D As for Betty dumping the kids...well, she irrationally figured that if she handed them to their father to raise he might see how foolish he and come back to her. And having four kids to raise would surely cause Linda to give up on him. Of course the whole scheme blew up in her face. Instead of crawling back Dan kept the kids and hired housekeepers to take care of them. Linda was bound and determined to marry Dan and his having custody of his four kids wasn't going to stop her. It wasn't that she "didn't want anything to do with them" anymore. It was the desperate act of a woman whose husband had dumped her for a younger woman.%0D %0D Betty never had a "cushy real estate job."%0D %0D The Broderick case is much more complicated than simply the story of "a woman scorned."

by Anonymousreply 2310/24/2010

biased????

Neither Dan nor Linda killed anyone.

by Anonymousreply 2410/24/2010

"Neither Dan nor Linda killed anyone.'%0D %0D No. But they weren't the nice, blameless people they were portrayed as in the movie. They were both supremely selfish, self-absorbed people who wanted what they wanted and were determined to get it no matter how many people got hurt in the process.

by Anonymousreply 2510/24/2010

Lightweight.

by Anonymousreply 2610/24/2010

R25, it happens a million times per day all over the world - a husband leaves a wife for a younger woman.%0D %0D R25, why are you acting like it was so unusual and acting like Dan and Linda were such oddities?%0D %0D Your point of view is bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 2710/24/2010

Regardless of whatever her excuses were, you don't treat your kids like that. She used them as pawns in her quest for revenge, and it was a low and vile thing to do. It was not a desperate act, it was simply an attempt to piss Linda off and get her to leave him. %0D %0D And she doesn't express any remorse for killing them and depriving her kids of a relationship with their father. She still acts as if it she had no choice in the matter, which is ridiculous. Plenty of women have been in similar and far worse situations, and did not have to resort to murder as a solution. %0D %0D Nobody was saying Linda and him were saints. But it doesn't give her the right to kill them.

by Anonymousreply 2810/24/2010

"why are you acting like it was so unusual and acting like Dan and Linda were such oddities?%0D %0D Your point of view is bizarre."%0D %0D Where the fuck did you get THAT idea? I'd say your thinking is what's "bizarre."%0D %0D I never that Dan and Linda were "oddities" or that it's "unusual" for a man to leave his wife for a younger woman. I'm simply calling a spade a spade. It wasn't just Betty who was behaving badly. Dan and Linda were both awful human beings who only gave a damn about themselves and purposely did things to drive Betty crazy. And in the tv movie they were portrayed as being nice, sweet people. They weren't. Far fucking from it!

by Anonymousreply 2910/24/2010

"it happens a million times per day all over the world - a husband leaves a wife for a younger woman."%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D Doesn't happen as much as you think. Most guys could only dream of landing a hot, 21 year old woman. Only the rich ones do.%0D

by Anonymousreply 3010/24/2010

R30, I meant that husbands leave their wives for a younger woman zillions of times all over the world - not that husbands specifically leave the wife for a 21-year old - just for a younger woman in general or for a different woman that may not be that much younger.%0D %0D You are not making sense.%0D %0D Of course, husbands leave wives all the time for different women, wether younger or not, but often younger. (but not as young as 21)%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3110/25/2010

sorry, whether%0D %0D How can anyone not say or refuse to recognize that husbands leave there wives all the time for a different or younger woman.

by Anonymousreply 3210/25/2010

We DO recognize, R32. We also recognize that it's a shitty tihng to do and telling the spouse who was dumped that it's up to her to "get over with it" is not a compassionate or simple solution. %0D %0D Dan and Linda probably would have been perfectly accepting of the situation if Betty had shot and killed herself. Linda was "lucky" enough to get shot in the head and die instantly. Dan got shot in the back and drowned slowly in his own blood. That probably gave him a good ten minutes or so to reflect on the choices he had made.%0D %0D By the way, it is eerie how similar Linda looked to Betty back when Betty was young and child-free and Dan was courting her with promises of how rich and happy he would make her.

by Anonymousreply 3310/25/2010

R33, what would you have the husband tell the woman he is leaving behind?

by Anonymousreply 3410/25/2010

I don't know but I would abolish no-fault divorce, R34, as it is the root cause of the modern mind-set that spouses are disposable and easily replaced.

by Anonymousreply 3510/25/2010

Betty put that piece of shit dan through Medical school and Law school and then he dumped her and he tryed to screw her in the divorce and pulled a bunch of other legal bullshit.%0D %0D %0D None of the lawyers in town wanted to represent her in her divorce because Dan was a lawyer and president of some type of bar association%0D %0D %0D %0D R27, I don't care what happens every day, We're talking about it in the context of this case

by Anonymousreply 3610/25/2010

R36, Betty Broderick being left by her husband is no different than any other wife who has been left.%0D %0D The fact that you think Betty Broderick being left is different is very odd.

by Anonymousreply 3710/25/2010

I knew someone in a very similar type of situation as Betty. The husband cheated on her with someone he worked with. The other woman had known the entire family (wife and kids) and had been to dinner parties at their house. She got pregnant and he wanted to divorce his wife. He was a real bastard about it and tried to cheat her in the divorce and take advantage of her in court.It got very viscious and she was slowly driven insane.

by Anonymousreply 3810/25/2010

[italic]...it's a shitty tihng to do and telling the spouse who was dumped that it's up to her to "get over with it" is not a compassionate or simple solution.[/italic]%0D %0D It's still tough shit. It *is* up to her to get over it. That's life, cupcake. Sometimes we're treated miserably by people close to us; we have no choice but to get over it, horrible necessity that it is, so we don't end up drowning in our own poison.%0D %0D Betty Broderick was an undeservedly scorned wife treated miserably by a callous husband and his bitch of a girlfriend. Now she's a multiple murderer who turned her children's lives into a nightmare.%0D %0D Let her rot. She deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 3910/25/2010

R35, wives are disposable and easily replaced.%0D %0D That is just the way life is.%0D %0D Your husband is not your 'family' - he stays around only as long as he wants to.

by Anonymousreply 4010/25/2010

You're being deliberately dense, R37. You think people are supposed to shrug off being dumped in a no-fault divorce and get on with their lives like nothing happened even if they still wish very much to be married to their faithless former spouse. %0D %0D We're not advocating the murder of ex-partners but it is juvenile to assume that no one will walk away from a divorce they didn't want without deep emotional scars and feelings of animosity which may last a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 4110/25/2010

Yes, and sometimes when you drive someone to the brink of madness they come at you with a gun and pump you full of bullets. You pledged your life to someone "till death do us part" and they end up holding you to it. %0D %0D That's just the way life is.

by Anonymousreply 4210/25/2010

R41, you are not making sense.%0D %0D No, the bereft wive cannot automatically shrug off being left. But what would you have the bereft wive being left do?%0D %0D I was left by my parter after 16 years of marriage.%0D %0D What exactly would you have me do?%0D %0D One has no alternative but to get on with one's life after being left.%0D %0D You are very strange, R41. Would you have the husband imprisoned or sent to jail for leaving?

by Anonymousreply 4310/25/2010

I've known lots of people who've been cheated on. Down to a one, they've fantasized about killing the unfaithful partner. None did it however.

But for whatever reason, Betty wasn't able to keep a clear boundary between fantasy and reality.

Personally, I wonder if the fact that most of the people I know who went through this had people to vent with and share their revenge fantasies (very often other victims of infidelity) helped them to stay grounded and work it out in their daydreams instead.

I seriously empathize with Betty, and Fuckhead and the Cunt *WERE* definitely shitty to her, but yes, she still killed two people while they were sleeping.

by Anonymousreply 4410/25/2010

R33/35/41/42 = nut.%0D %0D [quote]Yes, and sometimes when you drive someone to the brink of madness they come at you with a gun and pump you full of bullets. You pledged your life to someone "till death do us part" and they end up holding you to it. That's just the way life is.%0D %0D You are 100% creepy. Get help, you freak. No wonder he left you.

by Anonymousreply 4510/25/2010

[quote] Would you have the husband imprisoned or sent to jail for leaving?

Heh, I have a vague memory of when I was a teenager, some woman in a New England state I believe, tried to get her cheating husband prosecuted on an old Puritan law against adultery that was still on the books, but hadn't been enforced in centuries. I don't think she was ultimately successful, but I give her props for trying.

by Anonymousreply 4610/25/2010

Damn mhb, you actually made me laugh, you drunken old bag.

That's gonna be my Michfest parody name from now on nonpersian Crone.

by Anonymousreply 4810/25/2010

What made the Broderick case unique is not that Betty was dumped for a younger model, but that her husband used his legal connections to do an unusually good job of screwing her in the divorce. He used methods that were, I believe, underhanded and even illegal, and against which she had no recourse. If he'd handed over the community property the way the law called for, it's likely enough that they both could have gone on with their lives.%0D %0D Or maybe not. She may not have comitted murder if he hadn't used the legal system against her, but who knows. Maybe she's a sociopath who would have eventually murdered someone for taking her parking place.

by Anonymousreply 4910/25/2010

[quote]Your husband is not your 'family' - he stays around only as long as he wants to.%0D %0D When you have four children together you ARE a family because you made yourselves a family. A middle-aged man who walks out on his family and trades in his old wife for a younger model is an immature and selfish creep.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5010/25/2010

Oh, please. Who the hell is here defending that piece of shit? Betty Broderick is a sociopath. No one tried to screw her during the divorce. She was getting huge support payments and her life at only 39 was going to be just fine. Nothing would have satisfied her except their deaths.%0D %0D Dan's friend testified at the trial that Broderick told him at the time that he regretted marrying her right after the wedding so we are not talking about some great marriage. And Betty did not put him through medical school or law school. That's all Betty propanganda. Betty had some fantasy of what she wanted her life to be, like so many women do and Dan was basically the means to an end. %0D %0D Betty's behavior during the divorce was outrageous. She certainly didn't care about her children or the effects her violent and hate filled acts had on them. Those kids were terrorized by her behavior. There was plenty of testimony that she was violent and irrational all through that marriage and in front of the kids.%0D %0D Betty is still a potential danger because she really does feel she was justified. She has zero remorse. That's a dangerous mindset. It's a sociopathic mentality. Two of her children agree that she should remain in jail and one of them even testified to that at her parole hearing. She'd kill him if she got out and she'd play victim all over again. %0D %0D I swear some of the posters here are certainly dealing with their own issues of abandonment by a partner. How else do you explain defending this awful human being?

by Anonymousreply 5110/25/2010

No 27, you're bizarre. You are going after someone who knows the complexities of this case while you clearly do not.%0D %0D Dan & Linda used the legal system to bully Betty, and helped perpetuate the whole mess. As has been stated, Linda bragged about it.%0D %0D Know what you are talking about or shut up.

by Anonymousreply 5210/25/2010

"The fact that you think Betty Broderick being left is different is very odd"%0D %0D No, what Dan Broderick did to Betty in the divorce was VERY ODD, and he got away with it.%0D %0D Know what you are talking about!!

by Anonymousreply 5310/25/2010

Don't worry R43. You are a Vile, nasty frau who no one would want to be married to anyway.%0D %0D By the Way, you are not getting what happened in this case. %0D %0D Go drive away in your soccer van.

by Anonymousreply 5410/25/2010

No 51, you are the one with issues.%0D %0D YOU clearly don't understand that it was DAN who was probably the sociopath.%0D %0D If he regretted marrying her, then why didn't he get out before the four kids came along? Why? Probably because Betty worked and paved the way for his education.%0D %0D You suck, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 5510/25/2010

Dan didn't do anything odd to Betty during the divorce. She was an irrational client incapable of being pleased. She screwed herself and I am sure she drove her lawyers crazy. %0D %0D Why are you defending this woman? Don't confuse normal women with this sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 5610/25/2010

Dan didn't do anything odd to Betty during the divorce? That statement would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic.%0D %0D You really don't understand legalities, do you?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5710/25/2010

"Betty Broderick is a sociopath. No one tried to screw her during the divorce. She was getting huge support payments and her life at only 39 was going to be just fine. Nothing would have satisfied her except their deaths."%0D %0D You obviously don't know anything about the Broderick case except for watching the tv movies. %0D %0D During the trial Betty was said to be a lot of things; histrionic, narcissistic, borderline. But never was she determined to be a "sociopath."%0D %0D Betty wanted her fair share. The money Dan was sending her was a pittance compared to HIS income. She felt she was entitled to more, since it was through the combined efforts of the two of them that he became a filthy rich medical malpractice attorney. And what she got ever month was whittled down by fees and fines levied against her by Dan and the courts.%0D %0D And if you really think that Betty Broderick would kill one of her CHILDREN if she got out then you sure as hell have an ax to grind. You wouldn't happen to be related to the awful Dan and the slutty Linda, would you? That's the only explanation I can see for your uninformed, irrational tirade.

by Anonymousreply 5810/25/2010

[quote]Betty wanted her fair share. The money Dan was sending her was a pittance compared to HIS income. She felt she was entitled to more, since it was through the combined efforts of the two of them that he became a filthy rich medical malpractice attorney. And what she got ever month was whittled down by fees and fines levied against her by Dan and the courts.%0D %0D So?

by Anonymousreply 5910/25/2010

All the lawyers in San Diego loved Dan because he was a prince among lawyers, the sort of shameless attack dog who crushed his opponents in court. The minute he decided to leave Betty he began treating her like an anonymous legal opponent to be steamrollered into submission. It was the lawyers who created "no-fault divorce" so that men could walk out on their wives without having to part with half their fortunes. Of course they all stood by Dan. He was a glowing example of the arrogant, entitled amoral bastard that rises to the top in their profession. %0D %0D This was a woman who had stood with him through all the lean years. He knocked her up nine times then dumped her because she was damaged goods that HE had damaged. He wanted a fresh start with a tight, slim young thing who hadn't been ridden hard for fifteen years.%0D %0D All those years he had been telling Betty to stick it out and stand by him because it would be SO worth it once their ship came in. Then, when the ship did come in, he thought he'd have more fun if he left his family on the shore, so to speak, and set sail without them. %0D %0D He was the co-author of his misfortune. He engineered the circumstances that led to his hapless fate.

by Anonymousreply 6010/25/2010

R60, at this point, nobody thinks you're for real any more. "Hapless fate" sealed the deal. It was stilted and overdramatic.%0D %0D At first you had me. I thought you were a nut working out your abandonment issues. Now it's obviously an attempt at performance art. The attempt has failed.%0D %0D Nice work for a while, though.

by Anonymousreply 6110/25/2010

How overly-dramatized you make it, R60.%0D %0D Women get left all the time and they do not murder their husband and his new wife/girlfriend.%0D %0D Dan did not create his own fate. How absurd. You are condoning murder.%0D %0D People fall out of love. Simple as that. When they fall out of love, they often want to move on.%0D %0D Why are you trying to make Betty Broderick's marriage any different from other marriages. It is not different.%0D %0D Just because Betty Broderick was psychologically unable to accept her circumstances, it doesn't mean she had any right to murder.%0D %0D Women always 'stand by their husband in the lean years' - Betty Broderick is not special because she did this.%0D %0D And she is so crazy that perhaps she made her husband's life a living hell before he even left her.

by Anonymousreply 6210/25/2010

Take a look at the post of R60 in the 'OK, I find this interesting' thread at R103.%0D %0D He/she is quite into creative writing and dramatized narrative today.

by Anonymousreply 6310/25/2010

She looks like Peach from Project Runway.

by Anonymousreply 6410/25/2010

I lived in San Diego when that happened and watched all the trial proceedings. Betty was an unhappy housewife who's husband cheated on her and she did some crazy things (including killing them). She deserves to be in prison, but if that trial was held today, she would be out by now and truly on Oprah as the wife driven crazy by her husband and nasty trophy wife. (BTW, thanks, OP, I stayed home to watch it!)

by Anonymousreply 6510/25/2010

How do you drive someone crazy?

by Anonymousreply 6610/25/2010

You cripple them by going after those things they fear the most; causing them to act irrationally (some would call it crazy). Hope that helps

by Anonymousreply 6710/25/2010

Thanks, derwood, but that shit only works in the movies. Anyone who can be "driven" crazy was mental to start with.

by Anonymousreply 6810/25/2010

Dan should have helped Betty get counseling instead of taunting her and punishing her for not accepting his abandonment of her with easy grace. %0D %0D Failing that, he should have bought her off with a couple million he could have earned back in a year or two. He might be alive today if he weren't so maliciously greedy.

by Anonymousreply 6910/25/2010

And what happed to her kids?%0D %0D Her youngest son Rhett probably suffered the most. He was a small, sensitive child when the shit hit the fan and he told a therapist that he wanted "to run away and kill myself...my heart is broken." After the murders he and his brother Danny were still minors; they were shunted from here to there and treated like shit by the various babysitters who were assigned to them. Their keepers got a bundle of money for having possession of them; nobody gave a damn about them, just the money they'd get from housing them. Rhett Broderick is now an attractive young man. He's been on Oprah Winfrey a few times and he always comes across as well-adjusted, intelligent. He even displays a sense of humor. It's remarkable that he seems so stable, considering his awful childhood.%0D %0D I don't know anything about his older brother, Danny Jr., except that he's one of her children who thinks his mother isn't ready to be released from jail. %0D %0D The two Broderick daughters, Kim and Lee, were two hot messes. Lee was into drugs, so much that Betty and Dan didn't want her to live with them anymore. Kim got knocked up as a teenager, but got an abortion (with Linda's help). Kim seemed like a basket case, always saying one thing and then denying it later. She would run to Betty and complain about how Dan was lavishing money on Linda but only wanted to give her, his daughter, $150 for her junior prom gown, boo hoo hoo. Every time complained to Betty about Dan's stinginess Betty would run out and spend a bundle on her. She was quite the manipulative little bitch. Anyway, Kim eventually got married but is now divorced. Betty has one grandchild; I think it's Kim's. Anyway, I wonder if the Broderick daughters have shaped up, or it they're still as fucked up as they used to be.

by Anonymousreply 7010/25/2010

R 27, 31, 32, 34,37, 40, 43, 62, 63 or should I say "crazed poster" because you are the same person? You're bizarre%0D %0D %0D %0D >>>that husbands leave there wives all the time for a different or younger woman.%0D %0D %0D %0D we know. We're not talking about them. We're talking about the Brodericks.In the space of 36 posts you felt compelled to post that 9 times. You seem psychologically unable to accept that we can have our own viewpoints. we know more about the case than you do.

by Anonymousreply 7110/25/2010

Rhett told Oprah a few years back that Dan's relatives shit on him because he still wanted to have a relationship with his mother. Rhett basically said that Dan/Linda is the only thing that makes Betty crazy and upset but otherwise she is fine.

by Anonymousreply 7210/25/2010

She killed both her ex and his new wife, didn't she? Of course they ask for it. Bastards get killed all the time.

by Anonymousreply 7310/25/2010

It's true...they did everything they could to make her life miserable. I'm glad she killed them.

by Anonymousreply 7410/25/2010

If Betty had, had a really good, really mean attorney...that man and his wife would still be alive. Betty's attorney let her ex get away with torturing her...therefore, he actually caused the murder.

by Anonymousreply 7510/25/2010

I wonder how much sympathy Mr' Broderick actually got?

by Anonymousreply 7610/25/2010

Since it was DAN who had the affair, I'd say HE was the one not thinking about the children.%0D %0D THEN he tried to gaslight Betty, denying the affair when she knew it was true, calling her crazy. But finally, on his birthday, he wanted to get caught, and spent too much time that day with Linda.%0D %0D During the divorce, Dan lined up the entire local legal field on his side and tried to impoverish and "fine" Betty while he lived high on the hog (Betty worked to put him through law school, worked afterwards, no matter what---remember all those pregnancies?---and tried to keep his domicile a place worthy of his rise in the field).%0D %0D She knew he was cheating. She knew he didn't care about her domestic, maternal, and financial contributions to their marriage. She knew he wanted Betty v.2. %0D %0D Her life as she knew it was over. So she snapped. Emotional and monetary cruelty was avenged.

by Anonymousreply 7710/25/2010

[quote]Yes, and sometimes when you drive someone to the brink of madness they come at you with a gun and pump you full of bullets.

This may be a bit over dramatic, but the point remains: If you poke at unstable people too much, you chance becoming a victim of their instability.

I knew a guy on Usenet who poked at a schizophrenic, deliberately riled him up, threatened him, pretended to be a government agent surveilling him. It took intervention to keep the schizophrenic guy from losing it. He was planning to visit the guy tormenting him because he really believed he had surveillance equipment.

Now, imagine a mentally unstable person with a much more intense experience with their own husband, something that would affect children, life, home, and finances. They would lose it, completely. And when you see people like Dan and Linda (and this guy on Usenet) deliberately trying to destroy a weak, mentally ill person for absolutely no reason, you start to lose sympathy for them.

by Anonymousreply 7810/25/2010

[quote]Dan's friend testified at the trial that Broderick told him at the time that he regretted marrying her right after the wedding[/quote]%0D %0D That just makes him look worse because he was stupid to have all those children with her then.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 7910/25/2010

While I can see why people would be upset over what she did, you have to admit that she was treated poorly. I think that most women who have been traded in for a younger model can sympathize with her plight.

by Anonymousreply 8010/25/2010

Since several of you are so sympathetic to murderer Betty Broderick, perhaps you would not mind if any ex-lovers any of you broke up with would come after you with a gun and shoot you dead.

by Anonymousreply 8110/25/2010

I would never treat my ex with such malice. I have an ex and I was always respectful of his feeling as he was to mine. When you are going to treat people like shit...you must know, it may come back on you.

by Anonymousreply 8210/25/2010

R82, I supposed you had tons of money to decide what to do with between the two of you -%0D %0D ah yes, I imagine there are so many parallels and similarities between you and your ex compated to Betty and Dan, especially all the money to be divided among you two.

by Anonymousreply 8310/25/2010

The people sympathizng with her here would be calling for lethal injection and daily prison rape for any man who had done the same.

by Anonymousreply 8410/25/2010

Yes, Betty Broderick is the only woman in the history of divorce who has been treated with disdain, disrespect, and malice by her ex-husband and new wife.

by Anonymousreply 8510/25/2010

"The people sympathizng with her here would be calling for lethal injection and daily prison rape for any man who had done the same."%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D Um, no. And saying you sympathize with someone to a degree isn't the same as saying they don't deserve to be punished for their crimes. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 8610/25/2010

Actually we did have some money.

by Anonymousreply 8710/25/2010

We never had guns in the house.

by Anonymousreply 8810/25/2010

Everyone has 'some' money. How absurd.

by Anonymousreply 8910/25/2010

I just don't feel sorry for a man who went out of his way to rip off his ex wife. So, shoot me.

by Anonymousreply 9010/25/2010

Betty still had the big house and plenty of money.%0D %0D And yes, R90, apparently you are okay with your personal ex-lovers taking a gun and personally shooting you dead. I'm sure you'd be fine with your ex-lover or spouse shooting your dead.

by Anonymousreply 9110/25/2010

Speaking as someone who's had not one but two husbands leave her for a younger woman, yes I can definitely sympathize with Betty's feelings, especially when the kids seem to like the new mom better even tho you're the one who gave birth to them and dropped out of school because your husband said he'd take care of you. That might make you a little bit angry.

by Anonymousreply 9210/25/2010

I was left for a younger woman, but I certainly do not sympathize with Betty Broderick.

by Anonymousreply 9310/25/2010

Betty didn't drop out of school. She graduated from college.%0D %0D Really stop defending this woman with lies and half truths. %0D %0D Her children ended up happier living with their father because they were no longer with a mother who was a selfish, narcissistic shrew. Betty made that family a living hell if she was ever crossed or didn't get her way. And she was violent toward her husband in front of those kids. They even testified to that at the trial. %0D %0D If those audio tapes of her, especially the ones where she is using that language with her own young son, doesn't tell you what an awful and entitled bitch she was then nothing will. Oh, yea, maybe the murders and her insistence to this day that she was justified will convince you. %0D %0D Bitch is where she belongs. Just like her son says.

by Anonymousreply 9410/27/2010

Speaking of half truths, R94, both sons were at home with Betty the morning she drove over to Dan and Linda's and killed them. %0D %0D Betty was crazy and she belongs in prison but Dan was guilty of some really cruel and selfish behavior too.

by Anonymousreply 9510/27/2010

"Her children ended up happier living with their father because they were no longer with a mother who was a selfish, narcissistic shrew."%0D %0D They were NOT happier with their father. In fact, the boys were begging their mother to "stop using bad words" so that they could stay with her more often.%0D %0D Betty's daughter's testified during the trial. Angry that the money source (Dan) was gone, she twisted the truth in order to make her mother look bad. Kim was (is?) really fucked up. Her sister Lee testified also, but tended to stay neutral; despite her drug use Lee always came across as more emotionally stable than Kim. The boys didn't testify.%0D %0D Everyone who knew Betty Broderick said that before Dan left her she was a wonderful, attentive active mother, a vibrant, funny woman who was intelligent and thoughtful and seemed able to do anything. They were shocked as hell to hear the tapes of her spewing obcenities; they were amazed at her increasingly bizarre behavior. What happened to her to make her change into such a lunatic? Well, what happened to her was Dan Broderick and Linda Kolkena and the legal system. That's what turned her into a killer.

by Anonymousreply 9610/27/2010

You done drunk Betty's koolaid, R96.%0D %0D Dan and Linda magically turned her into a raging maniac who thought of no one but herself. Riiiight.%0D %0D Dan was not tough enough on her legally. He would never press charges. That was a mistake. That just enabled her escalating behavior. Maybe she would have thought twice if she had paid for her violence like crashing her car through his front door. She was sure she would walk and that's why she killed them. All she had to do was cry victim. %0D %0D There was no evidence of abuse by Dan at trial. There was, however, evidence of abuse by Betty. %0D %0D For those making such arguments, please enlighten us on how the legal system was used to abuse poor Betty. And besides the fact that Dan finally escaped his hell of a marriage, how did Dan abuse Betty?

by Anonymousreply 9710/27/2010

What's in it for you, R97? If you haven't read any of the books or lengthy articles that provide the answers to your questions about the ways Dan (and to a lesser extent Linda) cheated and harrassed Betty then how and why did you become so pro-Dan?%0D %0D You must have drunk the Kool Aid that turns people (including Betty hersef) into drooling romantic fools over tall, rich, handsome and supremely self-confident Alpha males like Dan.

by Anonymousreply 9810/27/2010

"There was no evidence of abuse by Dan at trial. There was, however, evidence of abuse by Betty. %0D %0D For those making such arguments, please enlighten us on how the legal system was used to abuse poor Betty. And besides the fact that Dan finally escaped his hell of a marriage, how did Dan abuse Betty?"%0D %0D You are truly ignorant or delusional about this case. Really, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. I figure you must related to the SOB Dan or the bimbo Linda. %0D %0D I'd advice you to read "Until the Twelth of Never: the deadly divorce of Dan and Betty Broderick." It explains in detail the legal machinations that Dan used against Betty. In short, Dan Broderick was a powerful attorney and their divorce took place on HIS turf; he did his damndest to make sure that Betty got a pittance from him as a divorce settlement, despite his enormous wealth, despite the fact that through the efforts of BOTH of them he became a medical malpractice attorney. In court, he screwed her.%0D %0D As for abuse; what the hell do you think is fucking your secretary for years and lying to your wife about it? Betty was no fool. Dan hired a completely unqualified 21 year old girl with no college education or work experience as a paralegal as his "legal assistant." He would stay "at work" until the wee hours of the morning. He was photographed with his "legal assistant" at social functions. Betty confronted him time and again, asking if he was having an affair. He kept telling her he wasn't, yet in the meantime he was staying away from home more and behaving more and more coldly towards her. It was emotional torture. Finally he came clean, said he'd been fucking Linda for years, said he was leaving her for Linda, goodbye and good luck. What woman WOULDN'T have had a meltdown after all that?%0D %0D As for the trial, there was plenty of evidence of Dan's reprehensible behavior towards Betty but the senile judge wouldn't let it be shown to the jury. If it HAD been allowed the jury would probably have found Betty Broderick not guilty on all counts and given her a round of applause.

by Anonymousreply 9910/27/2010

R99, from all I've heard about Dan he was a massive asshole who deserved a massive karmic beatdown... but being an asshole isn't enough to convince a jury that shooting killing him is legally "justifiable homicide". %0D %0D As long as we have the rule of law in this country, or any pretense of it, it's still not legal to shoot people just for being assholes, or for using corruption and cronyism. So while some of us may sympathize with Betty's predicament, nobody can say that the law would ever have let her off the hook. %0D

by Anonymousreply 10010/27/2010

One of the male jurors in Betty's first trial, which ended in a hung jury, later admitted that he would not have convicted her under any circumstances. His attitude toward her cold-blooded execution of her asshole husband husband is "what took her so long?"%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 10210/27/2010

Yeah, you know so much 97. Betty never got her share in the divorce proceedings because, wallah, Dan had every proceeding done privately & Betty would be notified AFTER the fact.%0D %0D You're the only who is an ass. And by the way, while your defending Linda Kolkena, for your info., Linda was fired from Delta airlines as a stewardess due to poor behavior. Yeah, trying to blow the pilot during take-off probably is grounds for termination.%0D %0D The one who has drank the kook-aid is YOU.

by Anonymousreply 10310/27/2010

There you go again. %0D %0D Clearly, 104, you are clueless. Betty did earn money. And hick, she probably earned more than you!

by Anonymousreply 10510/27/2010

Just because a woman was married to a man for a certain period of life, it does not mean that she is entitled to an entire future life of leisure and a free ride for the rest of her life.

by Anonymousreply 10610/27/2010

No one ever said she should get a free ride for the rest of her life.%0D %0D You really are clueless and have mental comprehension problems. Your skillsets must be seriously tested on your job.

by Anonymousreply 10710/27/2010

Just Sayin has to be Betty or some frau similarly situated. Yikes! Betty with net privileges. %0D %0D Pray tell us, JS, how the secret court proceedings occurred wherein no one told poor widdle Betty about them. You believe that shit? %0D %0D I suppose she told you that she never got a notice? And you believed her?%0D %0D Betty was and is a liar. She was willing to kill 2 people including the father of her children. You think she wasn't capable of lying?%0D %0D Linda Kolkena needs no defense. Her sins, if they are sins, are like a drop of rain to Betty's ocean of evil.

by Anonymousreply 10810/28/2010

Uh, no, not Betty Broderick. A frau? No, I'm a prosecution man myself. You are clueless. And yes, an idiot, Dan as head of the American Bar Association, pulled some crap to get the hearings held privately. That is what other posters, not me, have posted about on this blog. Your posts scream of frau & ignorance.%0D %0D YOU are the idiot who doesn't get it. And your big, fat widdle ugly ass would be screaming if you had been treated that way by the legal system. So in other words snookums, you couldn't have handled Betty Broderick's problems any better than she did.%0D %0D You are so freaking clueless, you must be a real treat at parties.%0D %0D Now drive off in your van soccer mom.

by Anonymousreply 10910/30/2010

R109, LOL! What's a "prosecution man"?

by Anonymousreply 11010/30/2010

Girls Betty put Dan through medical and law school, had 9 miscarriages, and raised his 4 kids, I'm not a frau but yes she deserved half of their assets.

R104/106=gay man who hates women.

by Anonymousreply 11110/30/2010

Both Betty and Dan were Scorpio's their birthdays at beginning of November.

by Anonymousreply 11210/30/2010

Betty Broderick "All my life I tried so hard to be a good daughter, a good wife, a good neighbor. . . . My husband unzips his fly and screws the bimbo, and I lose all that.%0D

by Anonymousreply 11310/30/2010

Just Sayin is a loud-mouthed cunt.

Ignore this idiot. We do!

by Anonymousreply 11410/30/2010

"Linda Kolkena needs no defense. Her sins, if they are sins, are like a drop of rain to Betty's ocean of evil."%0D %0D "Ocean of evil?" You sound...irrational. %0D %0D As for Linda Kolkena...well, she NEEDS a defense but she doesn't HAVE one. Her "sins" include a lengthy adulterous affair with a married man with four kids, among other things. %0D %0D Even before she starting fucking Dan Broderick she was quite the slut. She attempted a career as a flight attendant, but was fired two months after her probationary status ended for "conduct unbecoming to a Delta employee." Her "conduct" consisted of using vulgar language (shades of Betty!), making out with a drunken male passenger and disappearing into a bathroom with him for such a long time that other passengers joked about she and the guy were "joining the Mile High Club."%0D %0D Her sister and a boyfriend encouraged her to go to college. But she was never interested in doing that; she wanted to get the finer things in life FAST. And so she went the old-fashioned route, snagging a rich, older man as a husband. Linda Kolkena was the very epitome of the gold-digging bimbo. %0D

by Anonymousreply 11510/30/2010

She must be the most famous woman who killed her husband.

by Anonymousreply 11611/07/2010

She sure was the loudest and most narcissistic.

by Anonymousreply 11711/08/2010

if you're being technical, r116.

by Anonymousreply 11811/08/2010

114 is a fat-assed frau. Apparently, 115 is tired of your ignorant diatribe too, because I am not 115.%0D %0D You are an ignorant, infantile idiot 114. %0D %0D Rest home? Idiot, I'm sure I'm WAY younger than you are.

by Anonymousreply 11911/08/2010

From that wikipedia link: Allegedly, Dan's last words were, "Okay, you shot me. I'm dead."

2 Scorpios with their stingers - wow. And Linda was a conniving Cancer. All makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 12011/09/2010

r120, i did not know cancers are conniving...

by Anonymousreply 12111/12/2010

LOL, you are kidding 121, right?%0D %0D Female cancers are the some of the worst connivers..right up there with female pisces.%0D %0D Worked with some female cancers; actually, conniving & manipulation are their strong points. Worked with Scorpio's, too, and they have been great.

by Anonymousreply 12211/12/2010

no, not kidding. Have read both Linda Goodman's books and others and do not recall reading about this point..

by Anonymousreply 12311/12/2010

Okay just stop. I cannot believe that people are seriously judging people by their astrological signs.

by Anonymousreply 12411/12/2010

Astrology predates the numeric system. It is a perfect system of 12 of the four elements:%0D Earth - Water - Air - Fire. Within each element the 3 signs have similarities because they share an element and differences. %0D %0D Ever wonder why a relationship did not work out?

by Anonymousreply 12511/13/2010

Dan and Linda Killed Betty!!!! he deserves to be dead along side his slut wife Linda. Glad they never got to have a kid Linda would have been a awful mother. Betty should have just shot them to rip their legs off so they could not walk or have a normal life. She really should have planned it, it would have been easier to get off.

by Anonymousreply 12607/26/2011

Betty was a baslet case amd probably a philandering husband helped to make her that way. She worked so that he could go to school and have the best of clothers while she wore whatever she could afford . He was always dressed in the finest He was also a handsome philanderer. The movie doesn't explain all this. Linda knew Dan was married before she had the affair. She also knew he was wealthy but she was only 21 which might explains her discretion. However, only God has the right to give or take life.

by Anonymousreply 12703/11/2012

R127 sounds as batshit crazy as Betty.

by Anonymousreply 12803/11/2012

Wby, pray tell, is this thread revived after more than a year?

by Anonymousreply 13003/11/2012

The docudrama was on Lifetime tonight. It's classic.

by Anonymousreply 13103/12/2012

Hey,their all wrong,stupid and mean. No matter what, you should not go killing people. I think Dan was an ass, he treated Betty pretty shity. Afterall she did put him threw school and then he dumped her for a younger version of Betty!! Life sucks. Betty could not see beyond the anger, it destroyed her, her kids and eventually Dan and Linda were dead. They did portray Dan and Linda as sweet and innocent and we all know they were not. They tormented Betty and she flipped.

by Anonymousreply 13203/30/2012

Dan - drop dead gorgeous - always appeared to be a homosexual.

Discuss!

by Anonymousreply 13303/30/2012

Amazing how after 23 years this story is still being discussed. A reporter once wrote that with much gratitude to Betty Broderick, a lot of women since then have been treated much more fairly in court be it divorce or murder as a result of abuse.

Strange that so many here are so ready to crucify Betty without the full story. There are a lot of documentation out there - read them and I believe most of you will lean towards Betty. Sure nobody condone murders but I think in this case, Betty pulled the trigger but the victims were murdered by many hands.

Dan and Linda themselves had a huge partake. Cheating, using Linda's voice in the answering machine. Dan hiding money days before he left - per California Lawyer magazine who exposed this in 1994. Why couldn't he accept that Betty deserve to have half of what they built together - in today's court - Betty would have gotten that, easily. Why did he continue to try to control her life with money? Didn't he want to be free from her - why not settle and be done with - instead dragged out the divorce for years because he had all these legal options he can use against her.

The divorce judge who allowed Dan to screw Betty legally in the settlement. Of course he was then invited to the wedding. How does this man live with himself today knowing he too handed the gun to Betty.

The brother - Larry. 450K loan from the retirement funds. 175K was wired to him days before Dan left plus 80K from the business account. These are only amounts that were traced - who knows how much more that were untraceable. He too handed the gun to Betty.

Linda - well there's no need to say much about her. How can a woman be witness to a will that her boyfriend is rewriting to remove his daughter? Didn't it worry her that he could be doing that to her children someday? No, she was bent on pleasing Dan and egging him on. She was just as greedy.

Everyone including Betty are guilty of the murders. My only thought is: what thoughts went through Dan's mind as he laid there dying? Was it worth $1M he cheated Betty? He could have made it all back in 6 months to a year. Why?

by Anonymousreply 13405/05/2012

Betty was lucky to be divorced.

by Anonymousreply 13505/05/2012

I am with 134. Yes, she should pay for her crimes, but this woman was fucked, fucked, fucked, by her husband..

Read The Twelfth of Never by Bella Stumbo.. I could not put it down.

by Anonymousreply 13605/06/2012

Yes, the Stumbo book had a lot of details and written very fairly without bias. However, there are also a lot of information that came out later - including the article written by California Lawyer. They did an investigation into the money trail and found Dan guilty of not disclosing all the finances. It makes me sick to hear his brother Larry continuing to batter Betty - how come none of the reporters follow up with this question, "Larry, why did your brother wire you so much money just days before he left his wife?"

I don't think Betty will ever get out on parole. There are too many forces against her. I don't think she will be a danger to society, but I think there are few out there who she may have an ax to grind with - bet they are totally afraid. Especially the judge, Larry the ever loving brother, some of Dan's friends who totally stood by while watching this woman get screwed in court.

I also wonder if Betty didn't kill them, that Linda might end up to be the one who would have killed Dan. The way he manipulated everyone - I am sure she was too young and eager that she didn't even realize she was being manipulated. Of course he would love her - she was young and can be moulded. But what would happen after a few babies and she starts complaining about his hours at work and not helping with the kids. Same old same old. Only wish Betty would have just waited out, Linda would have done the deed for her.

by Anonymousreply 13705/06/2012

I ordered "Until the Twelfth Of Never" by Bella Stumbo because of this thread and just finished it. It it she best true-crime book I have ever read and I could not put it down.

I don't want to re-hash what's already been written in this thread - Dan, Betty and Linda were all unsympathetic and acted like children instead of adults throughout everything.

What hasn't been mentioned - and what I really noticed while reading this book - is what a prissy fop Dan Broderick was. He would lock himself in the master bedroom every morning to do what Betty called his "toillette," which was an elaborate grooming, powdering and dressing ritual. Even his own wife was not allowed to enter the bedroom when he did this. Weird, huh? He was obsessed with clothes and would only wear designer stuff once he started making money. He was also obsessed with home decor - his last mansion was meticulously decorated by him.

All of that really made me wonder if he was deeply closeted, due to his upbringing, his time and place, and the profession he was in. That thought really stood out while I read the many passages in the book about what a priss he was. In an interview with a Los Angeles reporter as the divorce trial was underway, Dan actually compared Betty to Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford in "Mommie Dearest." He was clearly a miserable man who had major issues with women, as seen by the way he treated Betty and his two daughters - he was just a complete prick to all of them.

Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

by Anonymousreply 13805/23/2012

I think Dan should have joined the Army (working with Green Berets) and then mentored wrestlers. Then he'd have been a manly man.

by Anonymousreply 13905/28/2012

I sincerely hope "just sayin" has managed to either get help, or move on with his/her life from whatever sparked such bitterness in his/her previous postings. He/she sounds like someone with some serious issues, and someone who really doesn't understand the psychological realities that were clearly involved.

The bottom line is, Betty Broderick murdered two people. There's a reason murdering someone, absent self defense or insanity, is a criminal offense. And no, losing in a divorce is not grounds for an insanity defense--again, for good reason.

Ms. Broderick's on-the-record statements, along with her admitted actions, make clear she thought only of herself and her own pain -- pretty much the definition of a sociopath. And regardless of your own experiences, if you defend that level of mental illness, you need to take some time and think things through.

by Anonymousreply 14006/15/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 14109/18/2013

Betty more than proved herself and equal partner to Dan. He owed everything he had to her support of him during his extended period of professional training. The whole concept of marriage is built on the premise that each partner is the other's equal. She was entitled to half the fortune he'd achieved. She was no greedier or more materialistic than he was. It was extremely short-sighted of Dan, a man who made millions raking doctors over the coals via the letter of the law, to think he could skip out on a contract whose terms included "till death do us part."

Having said that, Betty belongs in prison for the rest of her life. Her right to money didn't trump their right to life.

by Anonymousreply 14209/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.