Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The most important cities in the world

I tried a search and couldn't find the threads on this to add it to them, but for the ongoing discussion of what are the most important global cities in the world on Datalounge, I found this information on wikipedia. In the ranking of what are called Alpha ++ cities, the top category, there are only two worldwide: New York and London. In the next category, Alpha + category, there are eight worldwide: Hong Kong, Paris, Singapore, Tokyo, Sydney, Milan, Shanghai, Beijing And in the next category, the plain old Alpha category, there are nine: Madrid, Moscow, Seoul, Toronto, Brussels, Buenos Aires, Mumbai, Kuala Lumpur, Chicago Finbally, in the next category down, Alpha minus, we find Los Angeles, along with: Warsaw, S%C3%A3o Paulo, Z%C3%BCrich, Amsterdam, Mexico City, Jakarta, Dublin, Bangkok, Taipei, Istanbul, Rome, Lisbon, Frankfurt am Main, Stockholm, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Athens, Caracas, Auckland, Santiago The criteria are listed at the link.

by Anonymousreply 7911/11/2013

Interesting that Chicago should be in the third tier, and Los Angeles in the fourth.

by Anonymousreply 110/15/2010

I'm also surprised that Milan is Alpha plus and not just Alpha.

by Anonymousreply 210/15/2010

I don't see Vancouver, WA on the list.

GAVEL. DOWN.

by Anonymousreply 310/15/2010

r1, I was going to post the same thing -- I would have flipped them (not due to personal preference, but to global influence...in fact, I'd probably move Los Angeles to the second tier with Tokyo and the rest). L.A. is definitely more influential than Toronto, for better or for worse.

Odd that Berlin isn't on the list.

by Anonymousreply 410/15/2010

Strange that there are only 3 American cities on that entire list. And only 5 in North America. Contrast that to 19 European cities and 11 Asian cities. Plus 4 cities in South America and 2 in Australia (continent of Australia). Also find it bizarre that Los Angeles and Dublin would be in the same category. In fact, how did Dublin even rank? And as r4 said, how did Berlin not make the list?

by Anonymousreply 510/15/2010

These are supposedly the most important cities in terms of the world financial system, not in terms of quality of life or anything like that. Frankfurt, which gets an Alpha, is Germany's finance centre and also the home of the European Central Bank. As such it should certainly be ahead of Madrid, Moscow, Toronto and even Brussels (Alpha cities), on that list and not in the same group as Warsaw.

by Anonymousreply 610/15/2010

You conveniently left out the "Global Cities" list, OP.

by Anonymousreply 710/15/2010

Yeah, the methodology of this list is off. I live in LA. I HATE LA. But LA is an Alpha + or Alpha city. Easily. It just is. That said, can I please, please move back to NYC?

by Anonymousreply 810/15/2010

by Anonymousreply 910/15/2010

%0D Los Angeles is of no global significance apart from the film industry, and that is reflected in the rating it got. Chicago is far more significant as a commercial centre and transport hub.%0D %0D The fact that the US only has 3 cities on the A list is a reflection of New York's dominance - it has swallowed up the competition. Similarly with London. The UK's next most important cities - Edinburgh, Manchester and Birmingham - are Gamma minus; in with Porto, Riga and Port Louis (wherever that is).

by Anonymousreply 1010/15/2010

suck it Alpha MINUS LA!

by Anonymousreply 1310/15/2010

London boring? Are you insane. Its the New York of Europe only more beautiful and with an incredible history added to the mix.

by Anonymousreply 1410/15/2010

Interesting that Sydney ranked so high, on par with Paris and Tokyo (which I though would be up there with New York).

by Anonymousreply 1510/15/2010

@12

"London is so boring, I wouldn't but it on the same list as the top US cities or even Paris"

And which "top US city" pray would you rank ahead of Paris - the centre of Western civilization for centuries before the US was even thought of, and surely the most beautiful large-scale urban settlement in the world. Let us not mention its role as a centre of politics, finance, education, transport, culture, education, fashion, commerce, tourism .....

by Anonymousreply 1610/15/2010

seems like there are many arbitrary rankings here.

As much as I personally love and respect Madrid, I'm not sure why it qualifies from any perspective as being more important than the cities listed in the category below, or for that matter, Barcelona which is not even in that lower category

But, let's face it, we are dealing with a very subjective thing here.

by Anonymousreply 1710/15/2010

"Interesting that Sydney ranked so high, on par with Paris and Tokyo (which I though would be up there with New York)."

It's not interesting, it's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 1810/15/2010

Up until very recently Paris was the capital of the world, now it's New York.

by Anonymousreply 1910/15/2010

Hong Kong, baby. We know Shanghai and Beijing are snapping at our heels. For now, we rule.

by Anonymousreply 2010/15/2010

Stockholm. Not that populous but an example of how we all should live. They're great at producing hotties too.%0D

by Anonymousreply 2110/15/2010

All right-thinking people know in their hearts Pyongyang of the Glorious Democratic People's Republic of Korea (%EC%A1%B0%EC%84%A0%EB%AF%BC%EC%A3%BC%EC%A3%BC%EC%9D%98%EC%9D%B8%EB%AF%BC%EA%B3%B5%ED%99%94%EA%B5%AD) is most important, modern city in world.

Suck on that, imperialist nancy boys!

by Anonymousreply 2210/15/2010

Sounds about right in all honesty. Especially that LA is in the same class as Warsaw and Mexico City! LOL

by Anonymousreply 2310/15/2010

[quote]Strange that there are only 3 American cities on that entire list. And only 5 in North America.

I don't think it's strange at all. It's hard for one country to support more than one world class city. It requires too great a concentration of capital, power and talent. Only China also has three, and one of them was a separate country until recently.

Europe has only recently been at all centralized and the different cultures, languages, currencies and political authority means each major country has a major city.

The US also has more Beta cities (seven) than any other country.

The reason Chicago outranks LA on this list is probably the futures exchanges.

It was not so long ago that Tokyo was probably at the top with London and New York.

by Anonymousreply 2410/15/2010

Paris is the world capital of cheese and disdain, but that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 2510/15/2010

I'm surprised that Milan is so high up, and that Berlin is so low down.

by Anonymousreply 2610/15/2010

Seems like an ideologically motivated list. Buenos Aires? Mexico City?

by Anonymousreply 2710/15/2010

Berlin will probably rise in time, r26. Until recently, it was mostly communist and not the political capital. Finance is in Frankfurt. Germany and Italy are the most decentralized countries in Europe because they were not single nations until quite late in history.

by Anonymousreply 2810/15/2010

More comments from people who have never been anywhere, please.

by Anonymousreply 2910/15/2010

The study is essentially based on the location of headquarters of transnational corporations that provide business services.

Don't read in to it more than it really is.

The skew towards European cities might reflect the fact that in the federated European economy, the need for companies to be transnational is stronger.

by Anonymousreply 3010/15/2010

You question Sydney being in that tier but not Singapore or Hong Kong? After all the best ever Olympic games was held in Sydney. Singapore or Hong Kong will never ever be able to stage the Olympic games.

by Anonymousreply 3110/15/2010

We have no interest in staging a doping-fest. We just are.

by Anonymousreply 3210/15/2010

My city is better than your city. Neener, neener, neener.

by Anonymousreply 3310/15/2010

R2, we are not taking about your interest but the ability to stage it. Look up at the list of major cities that contest for it every 4 years.

by Anonymousreply 3410/15/2010

Sydney, Australia is way too high. Australia has very little impact on the world. It is not a fashion, technology, banking, military, industrial, entertainment or population leader.

Berlin, particularly when history is included, should be listed as should Munich. Germany, under Angela Merkel, basically runs the EU zone today.

Hong Kong is not the business center anymore. Beijing now rules Chinese business.

Chicago is Oprah Winfrey city. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 3510/15/2010

Paris was never the capital of the world. The world does not speak French.

by Anonymousreply 3610/15/2010

This is so bogus. %0D %0D Chicago is hog butcher for the WORLD - definitely first tier.

by Anonymousreply 3710/15/2010

[quote]Germany, under Angela Merkel, basically runs the EU zone today.

But they do it from Frankfurt and Brussels.

by Anonymousreply 3810/15/2010

If we're talking financial centres there's no way Toronto would rank below Sydney. It's at least in the second tier.

by Anonymousreply 3910/15/2010

I'm a Sydneysider and love the place, but no way does Sydney deserve that ranking. Probably the reason it's been skewed to rank so high is a lot of multinational firms have their Asia/Pacific office here. And let's face it, that's a lifestyle choice more than a business decision. You're more likely to get budding young execs to relocate here, because they know the language and the weather is nice.

by Anonymousreply 4010/15/2010

R39 of course Toronto is rank behind Sydney financially speaking, their bourse is not even covered by CNBC or Bloomberg.

by Anonymousreply 4110/15/2010

Even though, it is "Gamma -" and pretty much the last city on the list, I can help but be secretly thrilled that Columbus, Ohio is listed.

by Anonymousreply 4210/15/2010

hrmph...CLeveland has the World's Largest Bath House*. I don't see Cleveland anywhere on that made up list.%0D %0D *and the world's largest crabs and bed bugs.%0D %0D Even the HIV virus was too large for the sauna.

by Anonymousreply 4310/15/2010

Sydney as an alpha city is ridiculous. economically, culturally etc.

It's a great city but not even in the league of an Osaka.

by Anonymousreply 4410/15/2010

Athens certainly isn't an Alpha city. It's disgusting, hideous, and broke.

by Anonymousreply 4510/15/2010

Chicago ranks above L.A. because of the Chicago Board of Trade, which makes it a world center of commodities and futures trading, and because dozens of fortune 500 companies are headquartered there. Are there any Fortune 500 companies headquartered in L.A.?

by Anonymousreply 4610/16/2010

Toronto, like Canada, is seen internationally and economically as an extension of the USA. Much like Scotland/England. Many of the stocks traded on the TSE are also traded in New York.

If you have ever visited Canada, outside of Toronto, you would realize how much different Toronto is from the rest of the country. Think of Toronto as New York city minor, but no longer run by the Swiss, as Peter Ustinov said in 1987.

by Anonymousreply 4710/16/2010

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

by Anonymousreply 4810/16/2010

What happened to San Francisco? Surely its residents' evaluation of their city's importance is not validated by this list!

by Anonymousreply 4910/16/2010

Sydney is a beautiful city but it's deathly boring once you get tired of the beach and 2 or 3 clubs. Its high ranking no doubt owes to Australia's recent mining boom: coal, gold, iron ore, uranium - boring shit like that.

by Anonymousreply 5010/16/2010

I keep reading "NY" and laughing because they mean Manhattan, and not the outer boroughs. We are pretty Gamma out here.

by Anonymousreply 5110/16/2010

R47 is pretty spot on except that Toronto thinks of itself as New York Minor when it really is Chicago Minor. And it is true that most of the big offices in TO/Mississauga are subsidiaries of US businesses.

by Anonymousreply 5210/16/2010

Phoenix!

by Anonymousreply 5310/19/2010

Philadelphia!

by Anonymousreply 5410/19/2010

Phnom Pen!

by Anonymousreply 5510/19/2010

Will New York ever get over itself? Basically, you have a small number of movers and shakers and 8 million hangers-on.

I'm a New Yorker. Born and raised in Brooklyn. Now on the UWS. Still, nothing irritates me more then some queen moving here from Oklahoma with some horrible accent, and five minutes later declaring themselves a proud New Yorker. "Let's go Yankees!" Good Lawd!

Dear people who live in New York: merely living here says nothing about you; it doesn't even make you a New Yorker. In lots of cases, it makes you a pathetic wannabe.

by Anonymousreply 5610/19/2010

The city with the most gay residents in constant need of affirmation that their city (and, by some magical process of association, they themselves) are important:

New York

by Anonymousreply 5710/19/2010

Sydney should be down one category, and Auckland and Dublin not in the rankings at all.

by Anonymousreply 5810/19/2010

[R57] Spoken like a proud resident of Bumblef*ck, USA!

by Anonymousreply 5910/20/2010

R52 = Montrealer living under a collapsed overpass.

by Anonymousreply 6010/20/2010

los angeles is not a alpha minus. it is alpha but not listed as aplha minus.

by Anonymousreply 6105/10/2012

List has been changed since the thread was written.

Chicago and LA both upgraded.

SF, WDC, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Boston, Dallas and Miami now Alphas

WTF?

by Anonymousreply 6205/10/2012

London has been over taken by chavs, there is no cool scene there anymore, just a legion of chavs listening to retarded hip-hop.

by Anonymousreply 6305/10/2012

OMG...

This AGAIN?!!?!

The city-ranking thing is so very old-school DL-NYer eldergay.

Let's face some difficult facts: 1. New York is not what it was. 2. It's a great city, but living in New York does not automatically make YOU important or alpha or anything.

Pick up the pieces and MOVE ON.

by Anonymousreply 6405/10/2012

I'm not sure why Toronto is even an alpha city. It's nothing going for it compared to many other cities.

by Anonymousreply 6505/10/2012

"Important" - who cares about "important"?

Rome, astoundingly beautiful, interesting, vibrant, richly layered, sophisticated, evocative, its tendrils of history and art history extending in all directions for millennia, barely makes the list while Milan, a city that captures no one's imagination, lands on the 2nd tier as a serviceable center for Italian finance, furniture, and the rag trade?

That's a very important looking watch you have. What an important baby! You look so much more important with your hair longer. The most important book I ever read is...

Power and commercial influence may be interesting to some people, and might be criteria for siting a corporate branch operation, but they don't always make for places people want to visit or live.

by Anonymousreply 6605/10/2012

Oh ok, Dublin, Caracas and Auckland are more important than Berlin?

NOT.

And yes, Rome should be up there with Paris and Tokyo.

Where are Copenhagen, Munich and Vancouver, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 6705/10/2012

It's kind of ridiculous that Rome is not there considering the power of the Vatican. There are a billion people sort of following the Pope.

by Anonymousreply 6805/10/2012

Toronto is a city filled with passive-aggressive, sullen and insecure posers who pretend they are living in an important city, but their boredom and 'looking over their shoulder - are we doing this right?' urban attitude exposes the truth. They act like extras in the background of a tv show shot in Toronto but identified as NYC or any other city of note (although NYC is culturally dead), which is more or less the reality of life in Toronto. Everybody is pretending they' are somewhere else. Torontonians cut off all ties to the quirky, gawky side of Canadian culture in an effort to be 'international' and it totally failed. Next they'll try acting as though 'Toronto' is 'better' than 'GTA', not just the rest of the country. But it isn't. Alpha fail.

by Anonymousreply 6905/10/2012

Splendid post, R66. Thank you.

The rest of you can go back to your provincial squabbling.

by Anonymousreply 7005/10/2012

OP a word to the wise about financial data. First of all, it is always a lie. Real wealth likes to hide, and it doesn't advertise where it is. Second, financial data are not systematically collected outside the banking system, so public sources will be uneven and misleading. Third, whatever you THINK you see now, the fact is that money always tracks demography and not vice versa. You may think Frankfurt is an elite city and Berlin a prole city, but the power relationship actually runs the other way and every year Berlin gets richer and Frankfurt relatively poorer.

by Anonymousreply 7105/10/2012

In the same way you can't call New York the most important city in the world when Albany calls its shots and Washington sets its parameters.

by Anonymousreply 7205/10/2012

Toronto? Imporant for what exactly? It is nothing more than a city made up of American franchizes and immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 7305/10/2012

I don't think any of you have actually traveled anywhere but down a beaten path to your local tubs...sad.

L.A.? God, what a dump.

by Anonymousreply 7405/10/2012

[quote]In the same way you can't call New York the most important city in the world when Albany calls its shots and Washington sets its parameters.

How much time do you suppose the power players actually spend in Albany?

by Anonymousreply 7505/10/2012

Dublin - best city in Europe for start ups, seat of govt, global air connections, EMEA HQ of lots of the worlds leading tech companies -Dublin recognised as the#1 EU hub for tech innovation where companies will start up,scale faster, live longer and go further. Great sports facilities Home of European Rugby Champions 3 of last 4 years only city in world to produce 3 Nobel literature prizewinners,best city in the world for human capital (Mercer) the list goes on - small but punching way above our weight!

by Anonymousreply 7610/18/2013

Why did you bump a year old thread just to add that?

DIAF.

by Anonymousreply 7710/18/2013

I love that L.A. is ranked on par with Warsaw. Now that says it all!!

by Anonymousreply 7810/18/2013

WHY is Dublin in the Alpha Minus group? It is Ireland's financial and business hub and gets a lot of money fro tourism every year, especially around the Temple Bar area.

by Anonymousreply 7911/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.