Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BBC America

Why does this station suck? I wish they would put on some good shows (sorry, I'm not into Dr. Who) and stick with them instead of pulling them or rerunning the same garbage over and over again. Remember when Changing Rooms and that garden show played all day, every day? I did like Trini and Suzanne though. I wish they would bring the back.

by Anonymousreply 6710/25/2013

I liked Ed vs. Spencer when it was on, they did censor it for the US audience of course.

by Anonymousreply 110/13/2010

It started well, and I used to have hopes for BBCA, but they continue in a downward spiral of ever worse surprises.%0D %0D It's a vicious cycle: %0D %0D -the programmers and execs claiming they are too poor to secure better, fresher programming;%0D %0D -they make increasingly tragic programming choices that drive away viewers;%0D %0D -the few choice offerings they have are badly placed and have limited showings (ancient episodes of Gordon Ramsey and Top Gear around the clock, but Come Dine with Me -- and how expensive can that be?-- repeats once, at 3AM);%0D %0D -their original and joint productions have dried up;%0D %0D -when they do get their hands on a program, they endeavor "to bring the U.K. stateside" (Cash in the Attic Goes to Yuma);%0D %0D -they make abyssmal prime-time choices in things like Star Trek Next Generation, or film bombs run in back-to-back-to-back repeats, usually with fuck all to do with the U.K. (I'll Do Anything? Mary Reilly? Clash of the Titans? to pick from their current schedule);%0D %0D -instead of securing multiple inexpensive offerings to fill out their programming, their run their about to expire license agreement fare to the ground (years old Graham Norton episodes at 9AM);%0D %0D -oh, and the same programmers and execs (whose expiry dates are akin to a carton of eggs) bristle at the least criticism or suggestion.%0D

by Anonymousreply 210/13/2010

They are owned by the Discovery Channel (no wonder that guy shot the place up). They had the chance to have made this one of the top viewed channels during the writers strike. They could have shown repeats of top rated British programs. Instead they did nothing and kept showing the same shit they have been showing for the previous 3 years %0D %0D %0D %0D For the past 2 years they have been airing 3 of Gordon Ramsey's shitty programs, Star Trek repeats, and some other garbage. It's a constant loop of shit shows repeated and repeated and repeated%0D %0D %0D %0D Finally they are doing something about their channel. They are airing Law and Order UK.%0D and A six part miniseries, Luther starring Idris Elba starts next Sunday

by Anonymousreply 310/13/2010

[quote] They are owned by the Discovery Channel

They are RUN by Discovery for BBC, not owned by Discovery.

by Anonymousreply 410/13/2010

You need to badger them to buy 'Downton Abbey'. An Edwardian house, Maggie Smith, a bitchy maid, some homosex in the first episode - the fussy queens on here are going to go mad for it.

by Anonymousreply 510/13/2010

The BBC made a huge mistake by linking up with Discovery and not making BBC AMERICA a pay premium channel. A lot of people would have happily forked over $19.99 a month for a commercial-free channel of BBC news, documentaries, movies and series.

At least they're rolling out an international version of the iPlayer next year.

by Anonymousreply 610/13/2010

[quote]They are airing Law and Order UK. and A six part miniseries, Luther starring Idris Elba starts next Sunday.

Followed by Nobody Loves An Albatross.

by Anonymousreply 710/13/2010

[quote]At least they're rolling out an international version of the iPlayer next year.%0D %0D R6: What more do you know about this? I have only read various things in the rumor stage, and some less tentative articles mostly in The Telegraph.%0D %0D The article at the links puts forth the idea of a $10 per episode payment for prime shows (Doctor Who, Torchwood), but I'd be more interested in some of the less popular fare, the programs that rarely make it to the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 810/13/2010

It wasn't possible to bring BBC to America in a real way because the BBC is owned by the British public. Here in Austin we don't get it in HD either. I only used to watch the Graham Norton Show anyway.

by Anonymousreply 910/13/2010

I miss "Mary, Queen of Shops." %0D %0D Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 1010/13/2010

Mary was great I miss her as well.

by Anonymousreply 1110/13/2010

More on the Global iPlayer, though with a history of false starts (Project Kangaroo) I'm skeptical of the prospects of it "coming within a year." Few things seem to throw the BBC off-balance so much as rights matters, let alone international rights; it seems a point where the BBC bureaucracy comes really unhinged.%0D %0D Initially, BBC America made an effort at a broad range of programming, but that quickly evolved to putting a few eggs in an increasingly small basket, pinning all of its hopes on prospects of one or two series that would somehow carry the entire network (and on the further assumption that viewers would never tire of seeing those same eight episodes of each series repeated ad nauseum against a background of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.)%0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1210/13/2010

I enjoyed THE CHOIR.

by Anonymousreply 1310/13/2010

They don't have any midget shows yet, do they?

by Anonymousreply 1410/13/2010

I miss The Hotel Inspector. I know Ruth Watson quit after the third series, but there were two more after that, plus Ruth did a similar show about country houses that has never been seen over here. Love her! They never showed the last season of Hotel Babylon either.

I agree with R2 & R3. One thing is for sure: the network's standards for what constitutes 'British' programming keep falling and falling. Star Trek aside, they clog the weekends with tired-ass movies whose sole claim to Britishness is the presence of Michael Caine or Peter Sellers. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 1510/13/2010

I can't believe Gareth from "The Choir" is straight.

by Anonymousreply 1610/13/2010

Trinny and Susannah have a new show, a spoof documentary series. It's quite funny. Started as a web series I believe.

by Anonymousreply 1710/13/2010

I enjoy The Inbetweeners but it rarely comes on.

by Anonymousreply 1810/15/2010

Why can't we get real British TV, like channel 4?

by Anonymousreply 1910/15/2010

I heavily rely on torrents to view shows like Skins, Shameless, Dr. Who (Torchwood and the kiddie spin off the Sarah Jane Adventures), Midsomer Murders and the Poirot and Marple mysteries. After the recommendation of Downstairs Abbey I checked btjunkie and the first three episodes are available to download.

For guys like me who are interested in such programming torrents (like on the British torrent community site The Box) or other file sharing services (like rapidshare or megaload) are sometimes the only resource.

by Anonymousreply 2010/16/2010

I'm too lazy to learn the ways of torrents, though maybe should do. I catch up on some things when in the U.K., and otherwise buy a lot of (very cheap) DVDs through Amazon.co.uk or when visiting.

by Anonymousreply 2110/16/2010

Luther starts on Sunday. It stars Idris Elba (The Wire) as a damaged cop. Indira Varma plays his estranged wife. I downloaded it off torrents when it became a hit in the UK and watched it this summer. It was fabulous. Plus, it looks like the UK is giving it the respect it deserves and isn't cutting it to fit a 45+commercials slot of 1 hour...It's running for 1:15, including commercials and the original eps were about :58 minutes originally. BBCAmerica has been doing this for a while with its scifi shows; it's nice to see that they're now doing it with mystery, too.

by Anonymousreply 2210/16/2010

I sent a letter of complaint the BBCA 2 days ago. I really lit into them and asked them why they had gone out of their way to ruin what used to be a great channel. I asked "with all the wonderful programming on the real BBC and you give us the total junk we have now? What is wrong with you people"?

I got a reply from some mook last night thanking me for my correspondence and he assured me he would forward my email on to the people involved in the programming decisions. YEAH RIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 2310/16/2010

1. It's only the US that sucks. In the rest of the world, there's a channel called BBC Prime which runs EVERYTHING that's good on BBC, including weekend omnibus episodes of Eastenders.

2. Until we get a fix, there is the wonderful, wonderful, wonderful UKNova. I've been watching Eastenders, Corrie and heaps more for five years thanks to this wonderful community.

by Anonymousreply 2410/16/2010

How pathetic is it that the Graham Norton Show has to be dumbed down/censored for Americans on BBCA?

by Anonymousreply 2510/16/2010

I miss "Ground Force" and "Changing Rooms"."Tipping the Velvet" was a great mini series.

by Anonymousreply 2610/16/2010

I love The Choir and also enjoy shows like Being Human and BBC Reveals. But WTF is an American show like Star Trek TNG doing on BBCA???

by Anonymousreply 2710/16/2010

I also rely on torrents for my British Telly just like R20 & R24.

This summer I downgraded my cable to just lifeline, so I get the locals, and kept internet access. By using the RSS feed of UKNova and The Box my favorite shows are usually ready for me when I come in from work AND I can watch them on my regular TV thanks to my hacked 1st gen AppleTV in the bedroom or the TIVO in the den. It's really pretty easy to do and best of all it's CHEAP! My cable & internet is less than $55.

I've given up on commercial US TV completely and only watch my two local PBS channels. In my opinion the networks here can never match the quality of programming available on BBC, ITV and, if you like your TV a little trashy, Channel 4.

Dowton Abbey has been a absolute dream and last week David Tennant's new show Single Father started and it moved me to tears. It was that good. Anyone remember when a program on US TV did that?

by Anonymousreply 2810/16/2010

I download a lot of BBC programming from usenet at alt.binaries.multimedia.comedy.british.. In fact I got the entire 30 year run of Last Of The Summer Wine, the whole Vicar Of Dibley series, and both the Are You Being Served & Grace & Favour (aka Are You Being Served Again).

If it wasn't for Saturday nights on PBS I'd never get my Brit TV fix. I have fallen in love with Doc Martin!

by Anonymousreply 2910/16/2010

Uhhhh, sissybear, any normal episode of MAD MEN beats the UK shows hands down. The British critics often write about how superior our dramas are.

by Anonymousreply 3010/16/2010

Why isn't BBCA showing Sherlock, one of the most successful shows the Beeb has had in years?

PBS is showing it in America.

Oh, and thanks for the UKNova link.

by Anonymousreply 3110/16/2010

R31: Often it seems that PBS, HBO, Sundance, and IFC make better choices in "the best of British" programming as a sideline than does BBCA as its sole purpose.%0D %0D It's too bad BBCA wasn't developed (by competents) as a premium cable channel. While it may have demonstrated some audience for British TV, BBCA is more an impediment than an agent of change. Its horrible programming choices push American audience away, while UK TV executives overestimate BBCA it as some sort of barometer, failing to realize what utter shit it often is. With BBCA in place, there's no urgency to develop alternatives to it, such as the Global iPlayer or a serious network.

by Anonymousreply 3210/17/2010

And so tonight they are running the classic British film, or maybe not, "Silence of the Lambs." Great movie, but why? Oh right, Anthony Hopkins is from the UK...

Scary Brit actor month or some such thing.

But maybe it will be a decent lead-in to "Luther" part one?

by Anonymousreply 3310/17/2010

I don't want to turn into the Downton Abbey troll but episode three was sensational. Glad to hear you're enjoying it as well R28. That Thomas!

by Anonymousreply 3410/19/2010

I remember back in 2002, they played TOTP for about a week.

by Anonymousreply 3510/19/2010

I've been suffering from serious Gareth Malone withdrawal since watching the last episode of The Choir, so BBCA had better put the rest of his shows on their schedule.

by Anonymousreply 3610/19/2010

[quote]I'm too lazy to learn the ways of torrents, though maybe should do.

It's really not necessary to get involved with torrents. There are plenty of direct download links from filehosting sites out there for most anything you need.

by Anonymousreply 3710/20/2010

I am shocked that the new Sherlock series (season or series One) has only three episodes. How do actors make a living in the UK?

I am totally and completely in love with Downton Abbey. The show has some serious eye candy material.

Thomas is such a scrumptious asshole. Robert Crawley is a hot daddy. The guy who played the Turkish guest is hot as hell. The new chauffeur and the blond footman (who's in love with the kitchen help) are cute, too.

Plus Magge Smith (what are weekends????) and her catfights with Penelope Wilton are bloody genius.

Dan Stevens got a bit ... full in the face since "Line of Beauty".

by Anonymousreply 3810/20/2010

[quote]Why can't we get real British TV, like channel 4?

Exactly. I wish they'd stop trying to guess what Americans want to see of mainstream BBC programming-we already have that, it's called PBS.

by Anonymousreply 3910/20/2010

[italic]I am shocked that the new Sherlock series (season or series One) has only three episodes. How do actors make a living in the UK?[/italic]

Mark Gatiss, (League of Gentlemen), who is co-creator, and writer of the new "Sherlock" series, just did an entire piece on the unlivable amount of money British actors get paid. You're onto something.

A typical British series gets an order of 6 half-hour episodes. Each episode of "Sherlock" is 90 minutes. That's equivalent to a 9 episode British television series. You're actually getting more than you normally would with a traditional network order. It's like getting 3 movies.

An order of 3 additional episodes has already been made. They are due to air fall 2011.

BTW, there is an unaired pilot of "Sherlock" that's on the DVD.

by Anonymousreply 4010/20/2010

I guess many here in this thread are unaware that A&E and Bravo used to show Masterpiece Theater type shows? Lots of British mini series and other culturally minded TV.

That all changed when 'reality TV' took hold. Another two stations gone to shit. There was also wonderful channel called TRIO, that's completely gone.

Newer episodes of "Eastenders" were shown on BBC America for about a year, then it was suddenly canceled, with not much of an explanation, something about the channel which produces "Eastenders" wanting too much money from BBCA.

The PBS airings of "Eastenders" are years behind.

I used to enjoy "Changing Rooms", "Location, Location, Location" and "Cash In The Attic." They also seemed to have canceled the original "Antiques Roadshow" which was shown weekend mornings.

If I see one more show with Gordon Ramsey, I'll vomit. Surely there are newer and more interesting shows to air?

I've already watched three episodes of "L&O UK" and one of "Luther" on BBC On Demand.

I guess they're showing repeats of "Star Trek" because the main start is British?!

by Anonymousreply 4110/20/2010

Their version of "Law & Order" is pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 4210/20/2010

Sorry to maybe derail this thread, but has anybody seen the new (HD) show The Misfits? It's a new take on Skins with foulmouthed teenage juveniles getting some strange powers after a thunder storm (and trying to cover up the fact that they killed their counselor in self defense). The guy without any power (yet) is quite obsessed with homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 4310/20/2010

BBC has established a tiny, direct, news and documentary presence on the Roku box, all of it free. Subscription based or paid by the episode, access to the entire entertainment catalog is where I hope they go next. Indeed, they should eliminate the Discovery middleman entirely.

by Anonymousreply 4410/20/2010

Am I the only one who thinks BBC America has sucked the last several years? I miss all of the gardening and home makeover shows they used to have.

I used to like Graham Norton, but for some reason I find him irritating and bitchy these days.

by Anonymousreply 4501/01/2013

It's no different than Logo. They show Bewitched and Rupaul drag shows. It's a fucking gay channel and everything is censored.

by Anonymousreply 4601/01/2013

R43: Despite not sounding at all like something that I would like, I loved 'The Misfits.' It's funny, poignant, and surprising.

Unfortunately I didn't find it on BBC-America. I used to watch that network more than any other (when it was new); now I barely watch it ever.

Trips to the U.K., Amazon.co.uk DVDs, Roku, and lately (thanks to another DL poster) Tunnelbear keep me connected and eliminate most of the need for the Top Gear/Gordon Ramsey channel that is BBC-America.

by Anonymousreply 4701/01/2013

I completely agree. BBC America used to have really good programs, but it's just shit now.

I too would spend $19.95 month premium just for this channel.

And I know it's not BBC, it's Channel4 and ITV, etc. but STILL.

Get it together Discovery.

by Anonymousreply 4801/01/2013

BBC-America is owned and operated by BBC Worldwide, NOT by the Discovery network which for years now has only has a role in distribution.

BBC America and BBC Worldwide are among the more bureaucratic and least efficient units of the bureaucratic, often wildly inefficient BBC. For years BBC-America was a revolving door for idiot programmers and executives. Herb Scannell is the current president of BBC America, and the "genius" behind "Copper"; he's on record as favoring further American-based productions whether remakes of British programming or original ideas -- i.e., he's hell-bent on worsening an already sorry state of things by moving further away from any sense of the network's original promise of "the best of British TV."

by Anonymousreply 4901/01/2013

This channel is total shit now. Everything is endless episodes of Top Gear and Gordon Ramsey now *yawn*.

Remember in the 2000's all of the gardening and home makeover shows they used to have? I used to love those. Now there's nothing on that channel worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 5005/05/2013

Slightly off topic but has anyone been watching Broadchurch? It was beautifully done, a crime drama that centred on one crime only over the whole span of episodes (the murder of a boy in a quiet seaside town). It shows again what a talented and nuanced actor David Tennant is.

by Anonymousreply 5105/05/2013

The BBC is a little bit right wing and uppity.

by Anonymousreply 5205/05/2013

This channel could get so much better ratings if they'd just show something other than Top Gear all day every day. They only show decent content like one day a week.

by Anonymousreply 5305/05/2013

Well I like watching Top Gear but agree, most of the other programming is abysmal... so I watch British series online. Cable TV, your days are numbered. And don't act all surprised when it happens.

by Anonymousreply 5405/05/2013

Cable TV is definitely pricing itself out of the market - fast.

by Anonymousreply 5505/05/2013

Watch the real BBC with TunnelBear, amazing quality TV.

by Anonymousreply 5605/05/2013

I cut off cable some time ago, but it used to exasperate me that PBS edited down the premium UK dramas by 10-15 minutes per episode. You could only see what you had missed when the original, unedited versions came out on DVD or live streaming.

by Anonymousreply 5705/05/2013

It would be nice if they just showed the original BBC programs. I would also love to watch the original version of " The Killing " Not everyone is interested in Housewives, Kardashian etc.....

by Anonymousreply 5805/05/2013

If you have a computer you can watch the real BBC why bother with BBC America?

by Anonymousreply 5905/05/2013

R58 All 3 series of The Killing were shown on BBC4 in the UK in the original Danish with subtitles. We recorded each series as they were broadcast and watched the whole lot in one sitting because it was so riveting we couldn't bear to watch one episode per week, the waiting was just too much. I hope you get to see it soon before Sarah Lund's clothing actually comes back into fashion. That sweater has it's own fan club.

by Anonymousreply 6005/06/2013

I do like Ripper Street. I wish they would rerun old shows like Only Fools and Horses. A British friend turned me onto that show and it's pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 6105/06/2013

BBC News does report on being gay in Vietnam by way of a mother and son.

by Anonymousreply 6210/24/2013

Did anyone see theTaylor and Burton movie on BBC America recently? It was the period when they appeared on Broadway in Private Lives. What a shitfest the movie was.

by Anonymousreply 6310/25/2013

R63 = Lindsay Lohan

by Anonymousreply 6410/25/2013

BBC saves its best programs for PBS.

by Anonymousreply 6510/25/2013

I used to watch the show with Alan Titmarck where they would give homeowners makeovers for their gardens. And like true alcoholic Brits, they ended each show with a champagne toast.

by Anonymousreply 6610/25/2013

[quote] I am shocked that the new Sherlock series (season or series One) has only three episodes. How do actors make a living in the UK?

By coming to the US and doing films and TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 6710/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.