Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I just watched "Proof" with Gwyneth Paltrow....

and I thought she was really good....I feel an overwhelming guilt about this

by Anonymousreply 5208/22/2013

She originated the lead role in the London Edition of "Proof" on the West End. Got great reviews as well.

by Anonymousreply 110/12/2010

Proof, OP?

by Anonymousreply 210/12/2010

I loved the movie.

by Anonymousreply 310/12/2010

Jake G. was a little how shall we say...light

by Anonymousreply 410/12/2010

I feel you, OP. I watched "Sylvia" because I love Plath and was embarrassingly charmed by Paltrow's performance. Paltrow does have talent. Too bad her personality cancels that out.

by Anonymousreply 510/12/2010

How I adore my gay, obese, shut-in fans. No audience so loyal as the homosexuals! Mummy was right. %0D %0D Namaste.

by Anonymousreply 610/12/2010

I saw it with MLP. She was great casting choice because she seems a little unstable. When people doubt her claims, it seems credible that she might have fabricated everything.

I don't remember Paltro having that same quality.

by Anonymousreply 710/12/2010

OK technical actress, no depth.

by Anonymousreply 810/12/2010

Whatever you think of her personally, she's not a bad actress at all. She was also great in The Talented Mr Ripley. %0D

by Anonymousreply 910/12/2010

I couldn't stand her in Proof! She was SO annoying. Her grating voice and lack of nuance, her monotonous characterization. Horrible! There wasn't a single thing about her character that was likeable. I felt sorry for Jake's character. I think he did the best he could playing opposite her. She stunk. Like a big rotten egg that you crack open and it oozes out and stank fills the air!

by Anonymousreply 1010/12/2010

Don't feel bad, OP. She's a perfectly adequate actress (although sometimes I wonder what magic Winona Ryder would've worked in Gwyneth's role--now THAT'S an actress).

by Anonymousreply 1110/12/2010

I think she's a pretentious twat, but I did enjoy her performances in Sliding Doors, A Perfect Murder, and Seven.

by Anonymousreply 1210/12/2010

She played a prostitute in 'Hard Eight'

by Anonymousreply 1310/12/2010

I enjoyed A Perfect Murder and Seven, too. I liked it that Michael wanted her dead! And Kevin Spacey chopped off her head!

by Anonymousreply 1410/14/2010

With her performances, there is good technique but not subtext.

Jake is is total Community Theater ham in this. Very amateurish. It was watching this film that made me realize he really couldn't act well.

by Anonymousreply 1510/14/2010

OP, I can relate. I am extremely ashamed of the fact that I actually like GP in general in spite of her many, many faults.

by Anonymousreply 1610/14/2010

R15, Jake was a lot better than the guy who did it on stage. I didn't mind him at all. I saw both. (Tho, not with Gwyneth.)Frankly, the guy's part was very secondary. He was an instrument to get her thru the door to the future and toward healing, so to speak. %0D %0D Katherine was the center of the narrative. It was all about her, period. All the other actors were like pieces of time. Her father, her sister, and Harold Dobbs. %0D %0D I have to say, I cringed when they had sex in the movie. Talk about a mercy fuck! Gwyneth was very unlikeable, and the awkward scenes on the front porch the morning after confirmed her complete lack of range. GIving him the key was totaly inconsistent with the behavior of her character.

by Anonymousreply 1710/14/2010

R14 are you saying Gwyneth inspires poetry?

by Anonymousreply 1810/14/2010

OP, I can't stand Paltrow in Brit roles. She's done a bunch and she's never convincing and always overwrought.%0D %0D But I have always found her very compelling in American roles, especially Proof and Sylvia.

by Anonymousreply 1910/14/2010

Everyone was good in "Ripley." Anthony Minghella was a very talented director.

by Anonymousreply 2010/14/2010

I loved Ripley!!! I agree, R20!

by Anonymousreply 2110/14/2010

r12, I loved Sliding Doors too.

by Anonymousreply 2210/14/2010

I thought she did well in Proof too.

by Anonymousreply 2310/06/2012

I assume the way to get her goat is to ask her why she was never nominated for another Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 2410/06/2012

She used to be a good actress before she opted to do the sanctimonious bitch thing full time.

by Anonymousreply 2510/06/2012

She's really not a bad actress. Great, no. An insufferable cunt, usually. But, for the most part average to very good in most roles.

by Anonymousreply 2610/06/2012

Moonlight & Valentino -! epic.

by Anonymousreply 2710/07/2012

In another era, with her looks, acting talent and ability to project glamour the public would have never learned what an insufferable twat she was and would have continued to admire her.

by Anonymousreply 2810/07/2012

Threads like this are why none of you bitches were invited to my 40th birthday gala tonight in NY.

by Anonymousreply 2910/07/2012

ooops goop @r29!!

by Anonymousreply 3010/07/2012

You have to separate the art fr0m the artist. Good movie, good acting.

by Anonymousreply 3110/07/2012

The London production of Proof, if I recall, was produced Off-West End for a limited run at the Donmar Warrhouse about four years after Kidman created a sensation there in The Blue Room. If I recall, Paltrow drew mixed reviews, as did the play.

I saw it on B'way with JJL. It's not a very challenging play, more Lifetime movie of the week than Tom Stoppard.

I still think Paltrow's best performance is in Emma. And, of course, she makes a terrific Juliet in Shakespeare In Love, in an otherwise listless, uninspired performance.

by Anonymousreply 3210/07/2012

Correction: Paltrow drew raves for her performance at the Donmar. The play, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 3310/07/2012

I couldn't stand her in Proof. I thought Jake was very good and Hope Davis was excellent. In Gwyneth's interpretation of her character, she's so unlikeable there's no way the attraction between her and Jake's Grad student could have happened.

by Anonymousreply 3410/07/2012

I think I've posted this before, but late one night channel surfing I saw Paltrow in a cheesy tv movie in which her dad killed his son-in-laws (I know), made before she was famous, and she was terrific in it. Real star quality, in really crappy material. Bot that she's good in everything - nothing could make that piece of shit kareoke movie she did with her dad worth watching - but it surprises me that people often forget that she's talented. Her role in Seven is totally marginal on the page, but she makes it memorable.

by Anonymousreply 3510/07/2012

I actually thought Jake gave the weakest performance in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 3608/18/2013

I hate Gwyneth's personality, but she's not completely talentless.

by Anonymousreply 3708/18/2013

R36 - I agree.

by Anonymousreply 3808/18/2013

She was cast against type as a hooker in the film Hard Eight.

by Anonymousreply 3908/18/2013

Very strange that Hard Eight is the least known PTA movie. It's one of my favourites, and Goopy was amazing in it, as was Philip Baker Hall, John C Reily, Sam L. Jackson and Philip Seymour Hoffman. Well worth checking out.

by Anonymousreply 4008/18/2013

she was decent, she was fine, her presence didn't ruin it... thats faint praise. one of her better movie. bet she loved playing a daddies girl, the fuckin cuntess

by Anonymousreply 4108/18/2013

She WAS a decent actress. In the 90s. I had the misfortune of having to sit through Country Strong. Whatever talent she had is gone. That is why she barely works outside of Avengers.

by Anonymousreply 4208/18/2013

Yes, she's a more than decent actress, capable of quite good performances, possibly even a great performance or two if given the right role.

I'm not sure that I've ever seen in her anything that was especially memorable, where some aspect of her performance stuck long in mind, but mostly she's good or better, never the weak point as I recall.

On a more personal level, she suffers a lack of discretion, like someone who has undergone a medical trauma and whose brain loses some of its discretionary powers in the process. I don't much disagree with much that she has to say, it's simply that she takes it too far, unaware/unwilling/un-whatever to stop in her adulation, self-adulation, or bitchery at the point that other people will bear as amusing. She has to push past to that point at which she comes off not as fun bitchy but as mean bitchy, as daddy's mean little cunt all growed-up with no lessons learned along the way, just a sharper tongue and a bigger bank account behind her.

by Anonymousreply 4308/18/2013

Country Strong was poorly structured, but Goop was good in it.

by Anonymousreply 4408/18/2013

Gwyneth is a good actress. period.

by Anonymousreply 4508/18/2013

She's not untalented, just insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 4608/18/2013

She was amazing in Proof and Hard Eight. Two roles that could not have been any more different. She nailed them both.

by Anonymousreply 4708/22/2013

I predict that one day Goop will win the hearts of Dataloungers.

by Anonymousreply 4808/22/2013

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Margo Tenenbaum yet. She's brilliant there

by Anonymousreply 4908/22/2013

I think she's done some great work in the past but it's true that her annoying personality had overshadowed everything I see now.

by Anonymousreply 5008/22/2013

I thought she was really good in Emma.

by Anonymousreply 5108/22/2013

Everybody here needs to watch Hard Eight.

by Anonymousreply 5208/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.