Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Modern Family''s Sofia Vergara on Gay Acceptance in The Latin Community "You''re not going to change things in one day"

The Latin community is a very Catholic community," Sofia Vergara says. "So, it's always a problem for people to accept it, and they live in denial for many years, the parents, and prefer not to address the problem. And that's when tragedies and things happen. And, you know, it's hard. You're not going to change things in one day."

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2010 8:51 PM

OK, Sofs. We get it. You're saying hundred of millions of people are stupid.

Not a new concept. We live in the USA, after all.

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2010 6:22 AM

"Coochie, coochie," added Vergara.

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2010 6:25 AM

Isn't she the Scientologist who dated Gavin Newsome briefly or am I thinking of someone else?

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2010 6:42 AM

Hate this clown-faced cunt.

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2010 6:49 AM

She doesn't do English well. Remember when she made some joke about rape on "The View" and it had to be excised?

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2010 6:51 AM

Didn't see anything negative or wrong in her statement - she seems supportive, but also realistic. On the rape joke, wasn't it supposed to be her trying to reference what happens in overly dramatic soap opera story lines in Colombia, but it didn't translate well at all?

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2010 6:57 AM

She's ugly. Why is she famous and getting so much ink? Uck.

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2010 6:57 AM

Nothing about that statement is offensive. I don't get this thread.

by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2010 7:15 AM

Didn't Vergara consider a deal to beard for La Cruise?

(according to that bio on Cruise)

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2010 7:19 AM

You can't have pointless bitchery without the pointless r8.

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2010 7:19 AM

What is her point?

That we should not try, that we should be patient?

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2010 1:25 PM

The comments were likely made when "Modern Family" received an award from a gay organization. She's not homophobic and she's 100% right. Some of you need to get over your fucking selves and quit playing the victim 24/7. In which parallel universe is Catholicism accepting of homosexuality? If the majority of members of a certain community are Catholic, doesn't it make sense that "things [won't] change in one day?" She didn't say be patient or don't bother trying; all she pointed out is that there's a reason why the Latin community as a whole might be slow to embrace equal rights for gays and lesbians.

You all have no problem believing each and every black person is a virulent homophobe who's incapable of ever changing...why is it so hard to believe that the Latin community might be slow to come around?

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2010 1:48 PM

Latin community is not a homophobic as you would think. Many gay rights are moving forward in very strict Chatholic countries. No, generally, he Latin community tends to be silent and deals with this witin a local community or family. %0D %0D %0D I would say that there is les homophobia in the Latin community and far more in the black community. %0D %0D %0D If the Teabaggrs and Rethugs had played their cards right, the entire black community would move en mass away from Democrats due to the "social" issues. %0D %0D %0D The Black religious community like all christian communities is a do as I say not as I do religion, which makes them perfect to be republicans.

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2010 2:13 PM

[quote]She doesn't do English well.

Bull -- She herself told the story of when her son asked why she used to speak English without an accent and now it's thicker than ever.

"Money," she replied.

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2010 2:25 PM

She is just plainly telling the truth. %0D %0D Why is that wrong, OP? %0D %0D Hell, I am from Barranquilla and I think she hit the nail on the head. %0D %0D Name one Spanih speaking country which is tolerant of gays, OP. Back your shit up if you do, OP.

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2010 2:41 PM

"I would say that there is les homophobia in the Latin community and far more in the black community."%0D %0D So true.

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2010 2:44 PM

What is wrong with what she said? She made a valid and honest point.

by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2010 2:45 PM

[quote] Name one Spanih speaking country which is tolerant of gays

Spain and Argentina have legalized gay marriage, R15.

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2010 2:51 PM

When it's in print, it's harder for some to determine the manner in which it was stated. I don't believe she meant anything by it. If there was video, the ones attacking her would understand what she meant.

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2010 2:56 PM

But he asked for one Spanih-speaking country, R18. Try again.

by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2010 2:57 PM

Also Portugal (though they speak Portuguese), and Mexico City, though the supreme court ruled ALL Mexican states must recognize the marriages.

So, what were you saying again R15?

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2010 2:59 PM

I see R16 just returned from sunrise service at the klan compound.

by Anonymousreply 22October 11, 2010 3:01 PM

"Name one Spanish speaking country which is tolerant of gays."

Gays in Spain, Argentina and Mexico have marriage rights. The Supreme Court in Costa Rica nixed a vote on gay marriage, saying that it's unconstitutional to determine rights by popular vote. Yeesh. Costa Rica. Such rights are being debated vocally and seriously and seemingly at a much higher level of debate than we have here in such countries as Chile, Uraguay, and Brazil (not Spanish speaking, I know, but largely Catholic).

Surprisingly, Catholics in general are more supportive of gay marriage than other religious adherents (It is the church itself which has taken such a hardline position).

by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2010 3:11 PM

Does having gay marriage rights mean the country is tolerant of gays?

by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2010 3:35 PM

Why does everyone assume that OP is somehow attacking Vergara or what she said? He/She just posted a quote about gay acceptance on a gay message board to start a discussion. Does every thread have to start off with an attack in order to clearly point which direction the discussion should take? Maybe that's why discussions on Datalounge so often quickly denigrate into bitchy fights.

by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2010 3:36 PM

[quote]If the Teabaggrs and Rethugs had played their cards right, the entire black community would move en mass away from Democrats due to the "social" issues. %0D %0D Yes, R13, just like all of the gay white males who would go running with arms wide open towards the Rethugs if they'd only embrace gay rights. No matter that they'd also take the food out of every poor person's mouth or strip every woman of her right to choose, so long as you could get married and spend your Sunday afternoons schmoozing with all the straights (who still secretly hate you) at the country club, you'd be a-okay with everything else.

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2010 3:45 PM

R25 Has it right

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2010 3:57 PM

Then the takeaway from her words is to keep at it. It is possible to change things in one decade.

by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2010 4:39 PM

This thread is a microcosm of so many problems this country is having. Automatically assuming someone is attacking you. Automatically reacting to a sound bite. Automatically assuming you're being bashed. Automatically assuming that the only point of view that matters is your own. LISTEN. LEARN. SHE'S RIGHT. Change doesn't happen overnight.

And now that you've taken the time to read my posting I will assume you're going to get on board with my point of view because I am sick of being attacked and clearly mine is the only point of view that needs to be taken into consideration.

by Anonymousreply 29October 11, 2010 4:51 PM

WTF is with this poster, Leopold?

by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2010 8:47 PM

[quote]Isn't she the Scientologist who dated Gavin Newsome briefly or am I thinking of someone else?

I think that was Sofia Milos, who played Yelena on CSI:Miami.

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2010 8:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!