Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Merle Oberon

God, that woman was gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 2910/20/2013

Not really. She was actually maimed in an automobile accident requiring the creation of a special light called the Obie to conceal the deformity. Further aggravating her condition was a pioneer experiment in dermabrasion that caused her pores to collapse like sinkholes.

by Anonymousreply 110/08/2010

Was she part Indian?

by Anonymousreply 210/08/2010

half Irish, half Indian, all gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 310/08/2010

Merle Oberon reads by the pool

Cooool!

by Anonymousreply 402/20/2013

Oberon. Oberoff.

by Anonymousreply 502/20/2013

She was hideous to her mother, who was Indian. When she was with Merle in California the star would tell people the old woman was her maid, because she didn't want anyone to know she wasn't a pristinely white lady.

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 602/20/2013

Well, her mother played along, didn't she.

by Anonymousreply 702/20/2013

R7 even if her mother played around if Oberon did what R6 says that she did then she was probably an absolute cunt. How vulgar of her, if it's true!

by Anonymousreply 802/21/2013

Try being half Indian in Hollywood or Britain in the 30's / 40's. You would probably do the same. Try being being that even today and see how loved you are by the general public!

by Anonymousreply 902/21/2013

She looks 100% Indian to me. How could people not tell? And her nosejob was hideous. Had to have a nosejob to look whiter? That was terrible!

by Anonymousreply 1002/21/2013

"Try being half Indian in Hollywood or Britain in the 30's / 40's. You would probably do the same"

Boris Karloff (nee Henry Pratt) was also part Indian, and kept it quiet. Actors did that in those days, because Hollywood reserved all the major roles for white actors.

by Anonymousreply 1102/21/2013

It is one thing to be Boris Karloff and quite another to be Merle Oberon.

by Anonymousreply 1202/21/2013

Merle always was a fucking bore.

by Anonymousreply 1302/21/2013

She once married one of the Korda brothers, too. I remember Michael Korda wrote a book about her. They called her Queenie I think.

I thought Merle was a beauty, but I preferred Hedy Lamarr. later Ava Gardner. But yes, Merle was one of the top beauties of her day.

by Anonymousreply 1402/21/2013

To hide the Indian heritage angle, they/she claimed to come from Tasmania! Just her and Errol. Imagine her surprise 40 years later, when visiting Australia, they whisked her down to Tassie and asked her about her " memories ". Her face was a picture!!

by Anonymousreply 1502/21/2013

In the 1930s, when she was at the top of her game, Merle had an affair with David Niven. Niven was sharing a house with Errol Flynn, who really WAS from Tasmania!

I wonder if the two met then, and if so, I wonder how awkward the conversation was.

by Anonymousreply 1602/21/2013

I loved her dearly. We were very close. Like sisters.

by Anonymousreply 1702/21/2013

Rob Wolders was really an A-List COCKsman. He married Merle (who it's said she left her fortune to),jumped over to Audrey Hepburn, after Merle's death, and then dated Leslie Caron. He was a big piece-o-handsome when he was young.

by Anonymousreply 1802/21/2013

She was also one of the last to get ahold of Steve COCHran, or Stevie's big cock, which has been much mentioned here on DL - one of Hollywood's biggest. Merle had him /it just before he went on a boat trip, scouting locations in South America. Got sick,on board, and died. Merle spent thousands of $$$ to investigate his death. Big weiners linger in the mind (and elsewhere).

by Anonymousreply 1902/22/2013

Mamie Van D. however what she did to her mother (if she did that) was monstrous. You believe she did that? Then...she was a fake bitch. Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 2002/23/2013

Dorothy Lamour was another mixed-race star who hid it.

Her Wiki states she was "Born Mary Leta Dorothy Slaton in New Orleans, the daughter of Carmen Louise (née LaPorte) and John Watson Slaton, both of whom were waiters. Lamour was of French Louisianan, Spanish, and Irish descent."

In other words, Creole.

by Anonymousreply 2210/20/2013

Lamour? Really? Looking at her facial features, I can believe it. But celebs went thru great lengths to hide that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 2310/20/2013

That version of Wuthering Heights with her and Olivier is supposed to be a classic, but it's really pretty lame. It only covers something like a third of the story.

The director hated the sappy tacked on ending with the lovers walking through the clouds, together forever. In the book, it's implied that the lovers are forever doomed to walk the earth together as restless ghosts.

I read the book, and I've seen several versions of Wuthering Heights. It's considered by most to be a love story but in actuality it's more of a HATE story, hate and mental illness. Most of the characters are truly fucked up, especially Cathy and Heathcliff. Cathy wants to have her cake and eat it too; she wants her both dark gypsy Heathcliff and her rich husband Edgar, and expects them both to be ok with that arrangement. Heathcliff is a sociopath; a vengeful, violent, crazy malignancy. Only Cathy really loves him, because they are truly cut out of the same piece of cloth: "I AM Heathcliff." Cathy and Heathcliff are both truly awful. A "love story", my ass!

by Anonymousreply 2410/20/2013

William Wyler couldn't stand her, yet she showed up at his AFI Life Achievement Award ceremony and sat at the head table, but he pretty much ignored her.

by Anonymousreply 2510/20/2013

Robert Wolders, Maurice Templesman and Claus von Bulow sure could sniff $$$.

by Anonymousreply 2610/20/2013

Merle Oberon was the poor man's Dolores Del Rio.

by Anonymousreply 2710/20/2013

Merle made an anti-war film called "First Comes Courage" with Brian Aherne. It was directed by lesbian director Dorothy Arzner. Supposedly there is a picture of the cast on the set of the film, and Dorothy is standing near Merle, staring at her soulfully, and Merle is looking uncomfortable. I'd love to see it. Merle was a sexual adventuress, but she definitely liked bones in her fish.

by Anonymousreply 2810/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.