Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It''s going to be a bumpy ride!

Earlier this week I was returning to Newark on Contintental. I had been on a flight from Paris and most of the flight was pretty smooth. However, when we were getting closer to Newark (about 45 minutes away I think) as the flight attendants were clearing up from the snack they served us before landing there was a sudden jolt that I have never felt before and it seemed to startle some of us. The flight attendant walking up the aisle almost fell into one of the seats. It was odd as the flight was so smooth until that point and it was just one jolt then it got smooth again. A few minutes later the pilot came on and said that it was going to be a bumpy ride until landing and that he was going to go ahead ask the flight attendants to prepare for landing and then sit down. After that announcement, it was incredibly rough for the rest of the flight and I thought we would never land. I have never experienced such a rough decent. The plane kept making these sounds as if it was making a big lunge and then would calm down. Maybe it is my imagination but, it seemed odd. I assumed that the weather must be rough or something but, when we landed it was quite cloudy but, there was only a light rain and a bit of wind. I am now wondering if something else happened other than turbulence. Anyone industry people care to give an opinion? I hesitate to ask though as I have to fly again later this month and don't want to create even more fear for myself but, I am curious about what happened.

As a side, I am irritated that Continental did a bait and switch on us. They now seem to be flying 757-200s on their transatlantic flights. These are airplanes with 3 seats on each side which you would normally only expect on a domestic flight. I knew when I booked online that going to Paris I would be on such a plane but, had to book that one because of the time. However, I made sure on my return flight that I booked on the bigger plane that has a wider body. Unfortunately, they switched that flight to a 757-200 which I think was a major bait and switch. The only upside to these planes is that they are newer and have a great digital tv/music experience for a long flight but, it is too long of a flight to be on such a narrow plane with very little space in between seats. Not sure I will fly with them again because of this. I think it is the height of greediness to cram people onto these smaller planes for transatlantic flights.

by Anonymousreply 3402/10/2013

It's probably because they are flying at a lower altitude to save on fuel that's why its bumpier.

by Anonymousreply 110/07/2010

You need to learn how to use a comma. It goes before the "but." Perhaps this is why your plane ride was so bumpy.

by Anonymousreply 210/07/2010

CO. has been flying 757's transatlantic for some time. There can certainly be different weather an a higher altitude than there is on the ground. I've had the same experience and been scared shitless during it. Seems like it's okay....

by Anonymousreply 310/07/2010

Well, there could have been a problem with the plane OP. Or it could have been the air. Choppy air can be found at altitude even on a sunny calm day. But if it was choppy air there should have been some side to side movement as well as drops.%0D

by Anonymousreply 410/07/2010

I totally agree about the aircraft. I flew Newark-Amsterdam last week and it was the worst flight ever. I vowed to never fly Continental (coach) again; next time I will try KLM business class. OP, does the website specify the type of aircraft when you book the flight?

by Anonymousreply 510/07/2010

R1 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 610/07/2010

There's always turbulence coming into Newark - grab your tummy and hang on!

by Anonymousreply 710/07/2010

The website absolutely specifies the type of aircraft when you book. Also, the seat configuration is different on all planes so it has to be known what the aircraft type is when they offer the flight for sale.

I doubt it was bait and switch, it was more likely an equipment relocation issue.

American had to reduce its international wide body service out of JFK this year while they re-do the main runway at JFK so they are flying 757's to Europe all day long. Not sure why Continental is doing that from EWR??

by Anonymousreply 810/07/2010

OP I had a similar experience flying on Continental from Manchester to Newark. The last 45 minutes was a bumpy mess.

by Anonymousreply 910/07/2010

Article to help your turbulence anxiety

by Anonymousreply 1010/07/2010

That article is bullshit R10. Turbulence is a definite danger to planes, which is why pilots all avoid it where possible. Severe turbulence has indeed cause planes to break apart in the air. Our current success with turbulence is due to the fact that pilots quickly get everyone to maneuver away from it when they encounter it. But on low traffic routes (such as the one between Brazil and France that saw a crash last month) there is a greater danger.%0D

by Anonymousreply 1110/08/2010

Really, for the occasional horrible turbulence alone, flying is the ninth circle of hell. In fact, my idea of hell is being strapped into a seat of an extremely turbulent airplane ride that never ends being made to watch the same crappy movie over and over while a wailing infant seated behind you shrieks for all eternity. . .

by Anonymousreply 1210/08/2010

turbulance is scary but it's part of flying. Ssometimes those smaller planes can't be avoided and are always bumpy. I fly to and from Boston twice a year and the flight from houston to Boston is so smooth (737-900 or 800), the pilot even apologized for 1 bump of turbulance??? But Houston to deep south TX is a smaller plane (bombardier q400), it can be pretty bad, and they don't apologize, maybe bc its expected.

by Anonymousreply 1308/24/2011

I flew a miserable American flight on a 757 from London in December. Never again!

by Anonymousreply 1408/24/2011

I travel exclusively via hot air balloon.

by Anonymousreply 1508/24/2011

One 5mg valium + 1 Cocktail = Enjoyment of turbulence!

by Anonymousreply 1608/24/2011

Flew from Manchester to Newark last summer and had the same problem. 45 minutes of awful turbulence before we landed.

by Anonymousreply 1708/24/2011

I remember reading on here that the Continental route from Newark to Berlin was the absolute worst transatlantic flight possible because the distance between the two cities is the absolute limit that plane can fly on a tank of fuel. Pilots could not even change altitude to avoid turbulence because that would mean using more fuel and cause the plane to have to refuel and Halifax or Shannon.

by Anonymousreply 1808/24/2011

I've enjoyed the 757's from Newark to Cologne. They don't sell the last few rows because of weight/fuel issues (I've heard that's the maximum range for that model), but once the plane is in the air you can move to one of those empty seats.

I stopped taking their flights because every time I got off the plane in Newark there was a fucking disaster of one flavor or another happening, but that's another issue.

by Anonymousreply 1908/24/2011

The worst turbulence always is ny to vegas. I do that trip three times a years and I always swear I'd never fly again when I get back to jfk....but then I get a comp offer from Wynn and quickly forget....

by Anonymousreply 2008/24/2011

[quote]I remember reading on here that the Continental route from Newark to Berlin was the absolute worst transatlantic flight possible because the distance between the two cities is the absolute limit that plane can fly on a tank of fuel.

Well, if they make it to Rome I am sure Berlin can't be that big of a problem.

by Anonymousreply 2108/24/2011

Before they had widebodies, airlines flew the Boeing 707 and the DC 8 across the oceans. They were just like the 757 - single aisle and 3 seats on each side. We've gotten spoiled by the 747 and other two aisle jets.%0D %0D CO and AA are probably using the 757 because passenger load factors don't justfy the need for larger aircraft.%0D %0D Las Vegas turbulence is because of hot air rising off the desert floor.

by Anonymousreply 2208/24/2011

The worst flight I ever took was a prop-jet from Lake Placid to Laguardia. It was a late-night flight and I swear the pilot was 12 years old. I just had to make a crack, and I asked him if his mother knew he was out so late. %0D %0D There was no door between the cockpit and the cabin and the curtains were left open. I was in the front row so I could see the sweat rolling off of the pilots' heads. There was a huge storm as we flew over the Adirondacks and the radar screen, which I was watching in horror, was solid white. This was worse than any hair-raising ride at Great Adventure. We bumped along, tilting right and left, and dropping so suddenly you would have hit your head if you weren't seatbelted in. You could practically count the pine needles on the trees, we were flying so low. I wouldn't have wanted to fly in that plane until it was hosed down because I bet half the plain pissed their pants before we finally landed.

by Anonymousreply 2308/25/2011

I meant half the passengers pissed their pants. Indulged a bit too much tonight.

by Anonymousreply 2408/25/2011

Just turbulence OP. If there were a problem with the plane in those conditions, you would have crashed. It is not an infrequent occurrence. I remember some flights which were bumpy from end to end, including one from London to Frankfurt in 1977 where the stewardesses couldn't do cabin service and white knuckled it sitting the whole way.

by Anonymousreply 2508/25/2011

I had the flight from hell last week: DC - NYC. It was only 30 minutes but the whole time there were non-stomp bumps, dips and shakes.

Someone actually said out loud: "For chrissakes just crash already."

by Anonymousreply 2608/25/2011

[quote]It was a late-night flight and I swear the pilot was 12 years old.

That's really starting to bother me. Granted, as I get older everyone starts to look young, but some of those commuter pilots look like high school kids. I'm climbing on a plane flown by someone who doesn't look old enough to trust with my car keys.

by Anonymousreply 2708/25/2011

That's pretty funny, r26.

by Anonymousreply 2808/25/2011

Oh Christ, now I have to worry about the jetway collapsing:

Two passengers were in fair condition Wednesday night after falling about 10 feet when a jet way collapsed as they were exiting an aircraft at Los Angeles International Airport, authorities said.

A portion of the floor board next to the aircraft exit door apparently collapsed about 6:50 p.m. shortly after American Airlines flight 557 taxied to Gate 48A, authorities said. The injured passengers were transported to a local hospital.

The flight originated in Boston with a stopover in Chicago before heading to LAX, according to the airline's online flight schedule.

The gate is in Terminal 4. An American Airlines spokesperson was not immediately available for comment.

by Anonymousreply 2908/25/2011

OP only posted this to tell us he was in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 3008/25/2011

I know we all like to show off about our travels but R17, honey, you told us about your bumpy ride from Manchester to Newark back at R9. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3108/25/2011

Haha! Some people think if they fly business class, it will make a difference in how bumpy (or not) a flight is. lol When you fly, money makes NO difference when it comes to turbulence!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3201/24/2013

Flew united/continental into Newark about a week ago, big storm had caused tornados in Georgia...winds were bad all up the east took four attempts to land and about half the plane was pukin including me. Newark check in employees were just plain nasty and offered less than help they offered nasty comments and sarcasm I took the train home to Boston rather than deal with cancelled flights and spending any time whatsoever in Newark NJ From what I'm reading it confirms my opinion that I will not fly in or out of Newark again. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 3302/10/2013

[R2] Would someone please fuck this dizzy bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3402/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!