Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Crimes of Passion

On Encore Drama right now!

Why was Kathleen Turner not nominated for Oscar for this masterpiece?

China Blue has to be one of THE greatest characters ever committed to film. Right up there with Cristal Connors and Helen Lawson!

"I'm healthy as a horse. I'm fit as a fiddle and ready for cock!"

"I'm Cinderella. Cleopatra. Goldie Hawn. Eva Braun. I'm Little Miss Muffet. I'm Pocahontas. I'm whoever you want me to be reverend."

by Anonymousreply 3011/25/2012

Image her being announced as a nominee at the Academy Awards and they air the clip of her sodomizing that cop with his own nightstick!

by Anonymousreply 110/07/2010

1984 best-actress Oscar nominations were a fixation on farm women: Sally Field, winning for [italic]Places in the Heart[/italic], and nominations for Jessica Lange ([italic]Country[/italic]) and Sissy Spacek ([italic]The River[/italic]). Also up for the prize: Judy Davis ([italic]A Passage to India[/italic]) and Vanessa Redgrave ([italic]The Bostonians[/italic]).%0D %0D %0D Anyone care to say which of those actresses should've been replaced by Katheen Turner in [italic]Crimes of Passion[/italic]?

by Anonymousreply 210/07/2010

Jessica Lange

by Anonymousreply 310/07/2010

How terrible should I feel about the fact that I jacked off to that scene (R1) many times?

I was concentrating on the cop, not Turner.

by Anonymousreply 410/07/2010

love Turner, but that movie is far from a masterpiece and it is far from Turner at her most impressive.

Now if you asked why she wasn't nominated for Serial Mom, the answer would be that the Academy doesn't usually embrace broad comedy performances in wild movies. Because she certainly deserved a nomination for that.

by Anonymousreply 510/07/2010

My God, the only explanation for Judy Davis's nomination for Passage is that it was make up for her not being nominated for My Brilliant Career, one of the finest performances of the latter half of the century.

by Anonymousreply 610/07/2010

Dame Peggy Ashcroft should have been in the Lead Actress category, but I guess people thought her chances would have been better in Supporting.

Vanessa Redgrave was not the first choice for the role in The Bostonians. Glenn Close had been cast, but then she got the part in The Natural. She asked if she could do both roles at the same time. Someone said no, and she choose The Natural over The Bostonians.

by Anonymousreply 710/07/2010

Mrs. Moore is a very important role, but Ashcroft's limited screen time put her squarely in the supporting category. There are many more blaring examples of actresses being pushed as supporting who were obviously leads. Rachel Weisz's terrific but clearly lead performance in Constant Gardener is a prime example.

by Anonymousreply 810/07/2010

Of course, the absolute best line of the whole movie:

"If you think you're gonna get back in my panties, forget it. There's one asshole in there already."

by Anonymousreply 910/07/2010

The absolute nadir of Ken Russell's career.

by Anonymousreply 1010/07/2010

A really great film; one of Ken Russell's best.

Kathleen had such big balls to completely give herself to the role and she should have won. And she was never shot better than in that movie. What a face!

by Anonymousreply 1110/07/2010

I remember this movie; Annie Potts played an uber-cold fish wife. She had the hottest husband and didn't appreciate him.%0D %0D I also remember seeing Gerald S. O'Loughlin, who played the chief on The Rookies (Danko! Gillis! Get in here!) as a john; he was kind of sad, he had some line about raising the dead, referring to his character's very old penis.%0D

by Anonymousreply 1210/07/2010

R2, awards shows, I think, should be an accordian; if there are more than 5 great performances each year, then nominate more than 5.%0D %0D If there are less, then nominate less.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1310/07/2010

"The absolute nadir of Ken Russell's career."%0D %0D No, that would be WHORE with the supremely untalented Theresa Russell. It's godawful, and not in a fun way like CRIMES OF PASSION.

by Anonymousreply 1410/07/2010

I loved the dialogue because it was so forced it became hilarious.

[quote]"Although we may run out of Pan Am coffee, we will never run out of TWA tea."

by Anonymousreply 1510/07/2010

"I never forget a face. Especially one that I've sat on."

by Anonymousreply 1610/08/2010

That Laughlin guy was hot. hot.

I loved his impression of "The Old E.P. (Ejaculating Penis)."

by Anonymousreply 1710/09/2010

Ken Russell is so fantastic!!!

by Anonymousreply 1802/06/2011

Every time there's a post or thread mentioning Ken Russell, I read it initially as Keri Russell.

I must have a thing for Felicity.

by Anonymousreply 1902/06/2011

Here is a fun Crimes of Passion montage, looped with Tina Turner's Private Dancer. American Express will do NICELY thank you!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2002/06/2011

Tony Perkins snorting poppers in that film is hot, hot, hot!

by Anonymousreply 2102/06/2011

Probably my favorite movie of all time. Had the unrated VHS copy and have probably seen it more than any other movie.

[italic]"What the'...what're you gonna do, fuck someone to death with it?" "Only the right woman." urg "OK, you need to go now."[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 2202/07/2011

Well, if anything, Kathleen certainly was a brave actress...much more the "actresses" they have today

by Anonymousreply 2302/07/2011

Kathleen was really something when she was young. She always gave a great performance but in this film and Body Heat she oozed sex.

by Anonymousreply 2402/07/2011

The first scene is just... beyond words.

Fabulous trash.

by Anonymousreply 2502/07/2011

Rewatching it now. Such a strange movie. Isn't weird how, from shot to shot, John Laughlin appears either incredibly sexy or incredibly homely?

I'm not surprised this movie didn't receive the attention it deserved in the time it was released. It's shocking to think that an actress as famous as Kathleen Turner was at that time would do a movie like this.

by Anonymousreply 2611/25/2012

John Laughlin is the definition of dorky-hot.

by Anonymousreply 2711/25/2012

I remember his hot full bush from Footloose.

by Anonymousreply 2811/25/2012

I love that scene where she buttfucks the cop with his nightstick. Many happy times rewinding and rewatching that scene on VHS.

by Anonymousreply 2911/25/2012

My mother taught me not to pee on my fingers.

by Anonymousreply 3011/25/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!