Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Barefoot Contessa on Food Network - Doesn''t anybody else watch this?

I've been watching the show on and off for a few months. It's oddly soothing to me but Ina Garten (sp?) is a bit too 'precious' for me to relate to. She's constantly entertaining her ancient gay friends and when she HAS made food for groups of people, I get the impression they're all uber entitled Hamptons types. She seems okay but I don't get the impression this little tea kettle of a woman would give me the time of day on the street. She seems to live in a perfect little bubble. UGH! Yet, something draws me to the program when I'm channel surfing and come across it.

by Anonymousreply 24606/08/2015

Not even my husband, R1!

by Anonymousreply 210/04/2010

My fantasy would be a dinner party catered by Ina and hosted by Jean and Lionel Hardcastle in their London townhouse.%0D %0D How soothingly gay is that?

by Anonymousreply 410/04/2010

My bf loves to put her on and zone out. He says it's like those old shows on PBS where the guy would paint pictures of pine trees and speak in a hypnotically low drone. Ina doesn't strike me as a very confident chef -- I hate her chopping techniques and her obsession with measuring salt and pepper -- but some of her recipes that I've prepared have been really good, e.g., chicken piccata and fruit salad with limoncello (big hit at a dinner party). But give me Lidia Bastianich anyday -- there's a chef who knows her way around a stove!

by Anonymousreply 710/04/2010

[quote]But give me Lidia Bastianich anyday -- there's a chef who knows her way around a stove!%0D %0D Marry me, R7. Marry me now!

by Anonymousreply 1110/04/2010

I'm not crazy about Ina's show for two reasons:

Her constant, irritating nervous laugh when the show has her cooking with another person. She end almost every sentence with this unnecessary cackle.

The show inserts these shots of Ina, her husband or one of her gay friends going to a shop for supplies, flowers, bread, whatever. These bits are set up to seem spontaneous but YOU the viewer knows that someone had to get to the store beforehand and set up the camera, lights, etc. Save the money and cut these stale outside shots.

by Anonymousreply 1210/04/2010

Lollipop Giada can't eat around friends, because they actually eat. She picks at teeny-tiny portions and then heads to the john.

by Anonymousreply 1310/04/2010

She has amazing skin for a 60-something.

by Anonymousreply 1510/04/2010

I like her. She comes off as the real thing, although some threads lable her as bitch. I like the way she speaks and her recipes are good. She's a keeper...

by Anonymousreply 1610/04/2010

Ina is like watching on TV on qualudes, in a good way. One annoying thing: when she sets to taste something, she always looks like she's about to lose her dentures. I don;t know if she even has dentures, but she forms her mouth around the spoon or fork as though it will break her teeth. It's really strange.

by Anonymousreply 1710/04/2010

I love Ina, wish she would invite me to dinner.

by Anonymousreply 2110/04/2010

"I don't get the impression this little tea kettle of a woman would give me the time of day on the street. She seems to live in a perfect little bubble." I get the impression you are a very insecure reverse snob of a twit.

by Anonymousreply 2210/04/2010

I like her.

by Anonymousreply 2310/04/2010

I like her. I have heard she is the real deal and very down to earth not at all like the Hamptons set. The old time Hamptons set maybe. Not the new Jewish princess set.

by Anonymousreply 2510/04/2010

Love her! I agree with everyone who said her demeanor is soothing. Watching her show is like watching golf - very relaxing.

by Anonymousreply 2610/04/2010

at one time didn't she work in government as a diplomat or something? she cooks too much seafood for my taste (allergic!), but some of her sides & desserts look wonderful.%0D %0D the neeleys are too lovey-dovey for me. c'mon, they've been married how long? i love their recipes, but it's just too much luuuuv for me. gag me with a wooden spoon. i can't bear to watch it.%0D %0D i like rick bayless on PBS. it's called something like "mexico one plate at a time."%0D %0D btw: someone please slay that grub-eating andrew zimmern.

by Anonymousreply 2710/04/2010

I like Ina, but I'd like her show a lot more if she had two hot sons like Paula Deen's helping her out on the show. The genteel, dowdy queens of Southhampton she hangs out with ain't cuttin' it.

by Anonymousreply 2810/04/2010

Ina has some really good recipes. I've made a couple of them and gotten rave reviews.%0D %0D As for the Neeleys, I live where they have some restaurants and there have been times where their scores have been pretty conserning. There have also been a couple other issues there. While the food was pretty good, I won't be going back.

by Anonymousreply 2910/04/2010

spelling, ugh! *concerning*%0D

by Anonymousreply 3010/04/2010

I miss Sara Moulton-Howe...big glass of red and a few friends watching her cook a nice, simple meal.

by Anonymousreply 3210/04/2010

r29 are you referring to their inspection or sanitation grade?%0D %0D oh dear...

by Anonymousreply 3310/04/2010

I love her because she's rich and fat and doesn't doll up like most Hamptons broads do.

I can't stand that shrewish Giada with her 20" waist and those damn huge teeth of hers. I don't trust a supposed celebrity chef who isn't at least pudgy. Giada probably goes to her dressing room and purges during every commercial break.

by Anonymousreply 3410/04/2010

Ina's Indonesian Ginger Chicken is wonderful. %0D %0D 1 cup honey %0D %0D 3/4 cup soy sauce %0D %0D 1/4 cup minced garlic (8 to 12 cloves)%0D %0D 1/2 cup peeled and grated fresh ginger root %0D %0D 2 (3 1/2 pound) chickens, quartered, with backs removed %0D %0D Cook the honey, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger root in a small saucepan over low heat until the honey is melted. %0D %0D Arrange the chicken in 1 layer in a shallow baking pan, skin side down, and pour on the sauce. %0D %0D Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator. %0D %0D Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. %0D Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. %0D %0D Uncover the pan, turn the chicken skin side up, and raise the temperature to 375 degrees F. Continue baking for 30 minutes or until the juices run clear when you insert a fork. %0D %0D Makes 4 to 6 servings.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3510/04/2010

Her royal plumpness will never be first lady of NY, like me. My tablescapes will adorn the dining room of the Governor's Mansion.

Suck it, Fatty!

by Anonymousreply 3610/04/2010

r36 yum. also sounds very easy.

by Anonymousreply 3710/04/2010

It's soothing to me, too, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3810/04/2010

How easy is that?

by Anonymousreply 3910/04/2010

Liz Lemon and her bf Caroll watch it.

by Anonymousreply 4010/04/2010

I'm watching the "Two Fat Ladies" on the Cooking Channel. I miss them.

by Anonymousreply 4110/04/2010

I had to give up cable. Is there a new season of Ina's show, also are there new Good Eats episodes?%0D %0D Oh and I adore Ina. Her house is my dream house. %0D %0D I can't stand Giada. She is as phony as a 3 dollar bill.%0D %0D When I had cable I could never watch The Neelys. %0D %0D Back when I could afford the ingredients I made many of Ina's recipes and each and every one turned out great, even the first time.%0D %0D I like Lidia's recipes too but I heard that off camera she is a snooty bitch and her son acts like he is God's gift to earth. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4210/04/2010

I love her, she has a sweet kind face and reminds me of my aunt Melanie that just died.

by Anonymousreply 4410/04/2010

Did she die of shame because you don't know to use "who" instead of "that," R44?

by Anonymousreply 4510/04/2010

r45, how eager and tiresome you are.

by Anonymousreply 4610/04/2010

Should we have ended with "are," R46?

by Anonymousreply 4710/04/2010

Yeah, I love Ina's soothing program. Her food really does look great, spending a half-hour in her little Hamptons bubble is soothing indeed, and she's so sweetly gay-positive.%0D %0D Giada's food also looks very good, but her program is not soothing at all. I sit there wondering if she ever eats when the camera is off (I think not), and the scenes with the "friends" are so damned awkward. %0D %0D But my favorite program is still the unintentionally hilarious "Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee". That woman honestly doesn't care about taste, it's all about eye appeal. And she has dreadful taste in clothing and decor, too, it's just mind-boggling to watch.

by Anonymousreply 4810/04/2010

I can't watch Giada because her teeth are so huge, they're distracting.%0D %0D But then I also can't watch Nigella because her breasts are distracting. (And being gay, I don't mean that in a good way.)%0D %0D I actually like that Indian woman who's on Sundays at 12 - the one who won the New FN Star a month or so ago. She's pleasant enough - as opposed to when she was whiny and insecure during the contest - and her recipes look do-able. Although that curried hot dog thing she did a week or two ago was a bit strange.

by Anonymousreply 4910/04/2010

Television academy members watch Ina, OP.

They awarded her this year's Emmy as Outstanding Lifestyle/Culinary Host for her work on "Barefoot Contessa".

She beat Rachael Ray for "30 Minute Meals", Bobby Flay for "Grill It", Peter Ishkhans for "Peter Perfect", and Ming Tsai for "Simply Ming".

by Anonymousreply 5010/04/2010

Contrary to at least one other here, I LOVE Ina's laugh. I love a gal who will let out with a big ol' belly laugh like Ina does. She doesn't try to be all upper crust demure and fake ass hoity toity.

Ina's good people!

by Anonymousreply 5110/05/2010

OP? Why on earth does everything in the US have to be geared toward the lowest common denominator? What the hell is wrong with a show about fabulous living, fabulous food and fabulous parties? Instead of "reverse snobbery", you should look upon this program as a means to better your life.

by Anonymousreply 5210/05/2010

R48, just wait until Sandra is First Lady of NY & has free reign to decorate the Gov's mansion & decide menus for state dinners. Tomato soup lasagna & tablescapes galore!

by Anonymousreply 5310/05/2010

Lidia's son Joe is Mario Battali's business partner. I love Lidia, but I think she's a bitch in RL. I particularly love that she gets sloshed at the end of each show.%0D %0D Giada has a huge head to go with her huge teeth. Her mother is very attractive.I like many of her recipes, but she is very awkward.%0D %0D I adore Ina even tho maybe she isn't always so nice.I think she would be very polite to you, but in your place. You can't over step yourself with Ina. %0D %0D I get tne impression she's a snob in that she collects people of accomlpishement. It doesn't matter what they actually do as long as they are creative interesting and successful. Ordinary investment bankers are nothing to her.%0D %0D Sandra Lee's fun to watch but I'd never eat anything she cooked. The one who grosses me out is Paula Deen. Watching her eat those huge portions, with the whipping cream smeared around her mouth makes me gag. She is clearly a woman who doesn't get enough sex, if any.%0D %0D The Neeleys get on my nerves. I cannot watch them! I have many Black friends who think they are gross, too. They are very offputting. I think they are phoney, and they act like clowns. %0D %0D They try too hard, they're self-conscious, and they are putting on an act because they think that's what the audience expects of them.

by Anonymousreply 5510/05/2010

Lollipop Giada's grandmother was the fabulous, glacially remote Italian film star Silvana Mangina, er, Mangano.

by Anonymousreply 5610/05/2010

Try her fish in a mustard/creme freche sauce. Excellent and done in 15 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 5710/05/2010

I wonder if Lidia's pukey son is a party in the lawsuit against Batali. Batali is accused by several employees of stealing their tips for years. He's one I literally get nauseous when I see him. He's just a big fat pile of sweat and I don't like dirty looking people handling the food I'm about to eat.

As far as Sandra Lee is concerned, I like the woman. She's come a long way from her less than humble beginnings and I hear she's a very nice person in real life. Regarding her set designs I'm quite sure she has little to nothing to do with that. Food Network employs people to do all that stuff. Sandra likes her tables to look pretty. So what's so wrong about that. Her show is the #1 show on the Food Network. And I have tried a few of her recipes when I was in a rush and they were all enjoyed. Not everything has to be 100% from scratch to taste good. If everyone was forced to cook like Martha and Ina do on their shows, everyone would starve to death. And trust me, they may not admit it but Martha and Ina and all the other celeb chefs do things like Sandra Lee does all the time.

by Anonymousreply 5910/05/2010

Batali stole tips from employees? I'm not surprised since Eataly is a complete ripoff. You want quality imported goods from Italy at a reasonable price? Go to Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 6010/05/2010

I love watching Inas show, but I wish she wouldn't do the "my favorite place in PARIS" thing. She doesn't need to do that, it's absolutely unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 6110/05/2010

I'm always surprised to see that Mario Batali is still among the living.

He's cardiac arrest waiting to happen.

by Anonymousreply 6210/05/2010

What is up with the fart story? Is it at all true? Please, etymology of fart story please.

by Anonymousreply 6410/05/2010

If you really want to get shit-faced in the afternoon, turn on Ina and do a shot every time she pulls an Ina-ism.

Every time she says "flavor" drink. (She says it ALL the time. "I like food with great flavor." "Make sure your soup has great flavor." "Parsley adds so much flavor.")

Every time she says "How _____ is THAT?" drink.

Every time she giggles nervously, drink.

Every time she tells you to "use the good kind," drink.

You'll be in the gutter in a half hour.

by Anonymousreply 6510/05/2010

Ha!

Take a drink everytime the Neelys make you nauseous and you'll end up in the hospital for alcohol poisoning.

by Anonymousreply 6610/05/2010

Pat Neely has to be on the down low.

by Anonymousreply 6710/05/2010

*Very* funny, r65

by Anonymousreply 6810/05/2010

"If you really want to get shit-faced in the afternoon, turn on Ina and do a shot every time she pulls an Ina-ism."%0D %0D Yeah, use THE GOOD KIND. Because it gives such GREAT FLAVOR. She uses these the way most people use "you know" and "um".

by Anonymousreply 6910/05/2010

Every single time she uses vanilla extract she exhorts her viewers to use GOOD vanilla extract. As if people hadn't ever thought to use good ingredients, only really shitty ones.

by Anonymousreply 7010/05/2010

Ina and Martha always say to use the expensive Nielsen & Massey vanilla extract, but Cooks Illustrated did a blind taste test and found that most people actually prefer the cheap imitation vanilla in baked goods. It gives a more pronounced vanilla flavor. However, when preparing something that isn't cooked, the real vanilla extract is preferable.

by Anonymousreply 7110/05/2010

No, R40. If you want quality imported Italian foods Brooklyn isn't the best place to get them. YOu gotta go to Jersey. Seriously.%0D %0D The problem with Ina's farts, OP, is that they are a reflection of her diet. You really are what you eat. %0D %0D Since she loves all that heavy cream and butter, whole eggs, dairy, etc. and she's a meat eater, her farts are ripe and pungent and remind you of s distinctive rotten egg-like odor. %0D %0D It doesn't just waft thru a room, It sits there like heavy incense. And God help you if she's eaten garlic. They had to close down one establishment to fumigate after she left. Poor dear.

by Anonymousreply 7210/05/2010

I prefer the Bare Ass Contessa. It's from the same outfit that did The Naked News.

by Anonymousreply 7310/05/2010

I love Ina - but prefered her show when it was in her own kitchen for some reason. The barn just doesn't cut it for me.%0D %0D Her gay posse - T.R., Jack the Realtor, Michael the Florist, Miguel,etc. are all proof positive of who she is and how she feels about gay people. %0D %0D Her brownies are wonderful. Her Asian noodle salad with peanut butter - OMG so good. %0D %0D Ina said she was inspired to do her tv show because she loved Nigella Lawson's show and I had been a Nigella addict before I knew about Ina. And oh yes, miss the Two Fat Ladies!!

by Anonymousreply 7410/05/2010

R60, I'll bet one of the places you're talking about is D. Coluccio & Sons on 60th ST. If so I love that place and they have fair prices.

by Anonymousreply 7510/05/2010

Ina's recipes are great. %0D %0D The Seafood Gratin is to DIE for!!!%0D %0D %0D The one time Lidia's son was a judge on Iron Chef, he seemed like a complete snob, devoid of any personality. He took it all so seriously. %0D %0D Although I do love Lidia's food as well. Her cookbook was the first one I ever bought and actually made stuff from. %0D %0D The Neely's are disgusting. %0D

by Anonymousreply 7610/05/2010

I think both the Neelys probably had their stomachs stapled, if they eat what they cook.%0D

by Anonymousreply 7710/05/2010

Downlow With The Neelys...THAT should be the name of their show if the FCC really cared about fairness and truth.

by Anonymousreply 7810/05/2010

I imagine Ina Garten's farts to smell of Land's End denim, vichyssoise, and the green layer of 100 hardboiled organic mallard eggs. Sandra Lee's farts just smell like Kahlua and the off-gas from a poly-blend Talbots twin set.

by Anonymousreply 7910/06/2010

Speaking of Kahlua, I made Sandra's Kahlua tiramisu, and it was pretty good. She also did some kind of quick curry dish with shrimp once that was okay with very little tweaking.

I don't hate the Neely's, though I did try their muffuletta spread recipe and it was bland.

by Anonymousreply 8010/06/2010

I really like her, but I grew to like her. She's a very pleasant human being. Which is rare for TV.

by Anonymousreply 8110/06/2010

"The Seafood Gratin is to DIE for!!!"%0D %0D %0D It sure as hell is! And if you eat enough of it, you will.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 8210/06/2010

I love Ina's show for the complete phoniness of it. I have known women like Ina and places like the Long Island area in which she lives and can now look upon them with a tolerant amusement. But for real hands on cooking give me Lidia for Italian and Jacque Pepin for everything else. These two have worked in the trenches and researched their dishes. The rest of the so called chefs are hacks who spew out over done meals that were conceived by someone else and have been disgorged upon the public at inflated prices for decades.

by Anonymousreply 8310/06/2010

The Nellies are horrid. Look at her TONGUE! Good lord, there is enough yeast on it to bake five wedding cakes. And, she is ALWAYS sticking that thrush infected monstrosity out of her mouth when she laughs, talks, cooks. Awful.

I think he and his brothers are the real deal. The back story is he with his older brothers had several restaurants and were approached by Food Network to do a show. The other brothers did not want screen time so their youngest bro came up with the idea to make it a wife and husband team. She is not really a cook but has taken over the show because of the money. Supposedly the other brothers absolutely hate her and resent her fake ass.

Also, local gossip is, he is on the downlow, she knows it and married him only after her first husband left her in huge debt.

by Anonymousreply 8410/06/2010

r83 is correct. Lidia, Pepin, and I would add Ming.

by Anonymousreply 8510/06/2010

I doubt there are any DL'ers who live on Staten Island, but if you live in Monmouth County get thee to "Top Tomato" for your imported Italian specialties. And for prepared foods.

But most especially for fresh produce, which is unbelievably inexpensive. I don't know how they do it.

There's one in Freehold and one in Brick.

by Anonymousreply 8610/06/2010

She may be nice and cook nice things, but I get the creeps from her show and it's pretentiousness. Put it on a Hamptons PBS station, but spare the rest of us.%0D %0D There are so many more interesting people who cook for real folks. Not many us get to have garden parties on our personal estate.%0D %0D When she comes on, the channel changes.

by Anonymousreply 8710/06/2010

[quote]The Nellies are horrid.%0D %0D Hey, now. The show was called The Hearty Boys, and it ended a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 8810/06/2010

Oh my goodness, r88! Lidia really is losing her hair!!%0D %0D I've been watching her shows on that PBS CREATE channel and she does not have a lot of hair. %0D %0D %0D Lidia is absolutely real and her way of teaching is great. %0D %0D I've only made the Seafood Gratin once. Way too expensive ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 8910/06/2010

Who farts louder? Ina or Debra Monk?

by Anonymousreply 9010/06/2010

She ate my pussy in 1978.

by Anonymousreply 9110/06/2010

[quote]Ina said she was inspired to do her tv show because she loved Nigella Lawson's show and I had been a Nigella addict before I knew about Ina.%0D %0D The style of the Garten's show has much in common with Lawson's. Though Garten is more ambitious and serious-minded about cooking, it's Lawson who has the superior talent for easy familiarity and seeming effortlessness in all things. She has a great talent for persuasion, to the point that things I know I wouldn't like seem somehow appealing, even mouthwatering. Lawson could just about sell a peace plan in the Arab-Israeli conflict -- and have time left over for running a few light errands and whipping up a quick dinner party for thirty.%0D

by Anonymousreply 9310/06/2010

Nigella is a true Goddess.%0D %0D My god the woman is beautiful.%0D %0D %0D Too bad the kids look like her 1st husband and not like her. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 9410/06/2010

I think Ina's show has the same producers as Nigella's show. Or at least it did at first.

by Anonymousreply 9510/06/2010

I first became aware of Ina Garten from her appearances on the Martha Stewart show. At the time, she was running her very successful food store, Barefoot Contessa. She used the recipes she developed for the store in her appearances on Stewart's show. I always enjoyed her, and every recipe I tried was quite good.

I don't really care how wealthy she is. She has worked very hard for a lot of years and she earned it. I think I would mind the references to her posh lifestyle a bit more if she weren't so hard-working.

Eli Zabar was her mentor, and he taught her that the best ingredients are vital for good cooking. I think that's why she stresses that so often.

by Anonymousreply 9610/06/2010

You don't get Eli Zabar as a mentor or even as a friend or acquaintance unless you're already wealthy and one of the "in" people. So that had to have come before all the hard work.%0D %0D Ina was born to well to do folks and then worked at the White House. It wasn't like she was some poor person that started a business from nothing. Also Barefoot Contessa was already a successful business when she bought it. She did work very hard once she had it. I'm not saying she didn't but it's not like she had no money or connections when she began. She also had a very well to do husband so she had lots of room to fail and that lessens a lot of the pressure of having a business.%0D

by Anonymousreply 9710/06/2010

How bitter is R97?

by Anonymousreply 9810/06/2010

Give me Sandra Lee's drunken rags to riches story over Ina's sanguine Hamptons lifestyle any day.

by Anonymousreply 9910/06/2010

I like Ina but I really like Ann Burrell from Secrets of a Restaurant Chef.

Hate Rachel Ray.

by Anonymousreply 10010/06/2010

Burrell is good and her recipes are tasty. But her show is equally suited to be a drinking game if you drink whenever:

-she says "brown food tastes good" -she deposits something in the "thank you for coming" bowl -she uses her Fat Albert voice (saying, for example, "BIG MEAT") -she calls herself a "happy girl" -she uses salt by the fistful -she says, "that's how we roll" -she mentions "the whole shootin' match" -she's going to "rock _____ out"

by Anonymousreply 10110/06/2010

Ina and her poofter husband are right wing Republicans who worked in the Nixon Administration.

She laughs at the aged twinks in her life doing the gay step-n-fetchit routine.

by Anonymousreply 10210/06/2010

That's bullshit, R102. She's a registered Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 10310/06/2010

Burrel is as gross as the Neely's, especially when she growls.

by Anonymousreply 10410/06/2010

There was some story about her selling the Barefoot store to friends and then proceeding to make sure it when under or they had to sell.

by Anonymousreply 10510/06/2010

Ann Burrel has a great deal of enthusiasm for what she does. %0D %0D Love her for that. It's infectious. %0D %0D Made a couple of her recipes and they have been very good. %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 10610/06/2010

I don't know what Anne Burrell's show is like, because I look at her and all I see is Guy Fieiri in drag.

by Anonymousreply 10710/07/2010

It is a fact that these two right wingers met when they were working for Nixon. She is a fraud

by Anonymousreply 10810/07/2010

R108

You don't know what you are talking about. She was in high school and he was in college when they met.

Try harder.

by Anonymousreply 10910/07/2010

Further to R108's nonsense: %0D %0D She worked in the White House from 1974 to 1978 during the Ford and Carter administrations. Why do people post here that know nothing about what they are talking about?

by Anonymousreply 11010/07/2010

r108 is probably Sandra Lee.

by Anonymousreply 11110/07/2010

It's always Cocktail Time for R108!

by Anonymousreply 11210/07/2010

She worked as the White House accountant in the Carter administration.

Jeffrey started in the Nixon administration when he was fresh out of college, but he also worked for Ford, Carter, and Clinton. He could very well be Republican, given the tone of his articles. He is definitely pro corporate America, as you can tell from reading a few of the things he wrote for Newsweek:

by Anonymousreply 11310/09/2010

Gaseous bump for Turkey Day.

by Anonymousreply 11411/24/2010

To get back to your original point, OP, why should she give you the time of day if she saw you walking down the street? Do you somehow think she's obligated to talk with everyone she passes?

by Anonymousreply 11511/24/2010

She has practical recipes that are well tested before being published, so home cooks can be confident about using them.

But I think the primary appeal of her TV show is her calm personality & the relaxing pace of her easy routine at a charming home in a comfortable environment.

My new favorite on that score is Laura Calder & her lovely life in France, as seen on Cooking Channel's "French Food at Home". A younger, svelter version of Ina Garten, who produces fantastic food in a serene atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 11611/24/2010

I'm going to surprise my friend Jeffrey with a picnic lunch of salmon croquettes, some lovely Brussels sprouts with chestnut butter, and for dessert a bombe flavored with figs and hazelnuts from my garden. And we're going to eat it on the counter of the bookstore he owns in Town! Then I'm going to ride home on my bicycle...farting all the way.

by Anonymousreply 11711/24/2010

Isn't Ina the one who sweats a lot? I could never enjoy her show or the food because I was always grossed out by the sweat that was inevitably dripping into it as she cooked.

by Anonymousreply 11811/24/2010

Ina did today's "Google doodle" (pie crust, eggs, sugar, etc).

by Anonymousreply 11911/24/2010

Oooh, R116, I'm loving Laura Calder too! It's the chic dresses, the expensively cut hair, the ridiculous Canadian accent, and gorgeous food!

She's minorly goofy, too. Which is a huge plus.

by Anonymousreply 12011/24/2010

I don't like the food she cooks but I like to watch her prepare and cook it, anyway. I remember the time she had kids one and made this very adultish pizza with salad on top (and the kids *had* to eat it like that, instead of leaving it off their personal piece) and a cake with old people candy on it. You know, the kind they keep in a glass jar? It was cool that she let them decorate it but she seemed a little, I don't know cold/strict with them.

by Anonymousreply 12111/24/2010

My fantasy is to be one of her gays and get to cook in that fab kitchen of hers and walk the lovely grounds and live that snooty Hamptom life yet have get togethers to support liberal causes. I'll be the lobster bisque.

by Anonymousreply 12211/24/2010

R17, honey, she's a fat girl. That strange thing you notice is her willpower trying to overcome the urge to shove her face into the dish she just prepared. It's like a battle between her hand and mouth; neither wins. The hand is trying to push a small, dainty bit towards her lips and her jaw is unhinging to take in a tray of amuse bouche.

by Anonymousreply 12311/25/2010

You just have to go buy a chicken from my East Hampton neighborhood, dress it with a $90 bottle of olive oil (the flavor) and stuff it with another $40 of herbs. Then pick vegetables from your acres of land on the shore and dress them with truffle oil and saffron. You can chill it over night and heat it up when you come home from the job you don't actually have.

A $300 dinner for two?

How easy is that?

by Anonymousreply 12411/25/2010

[quote]Who farts louder? Ina or Debra Monk?

Ethel Kennedy

by Anonymousreply 12511/25/2010

For your info that house in Malibu on the beach from which you can see the Pacific Ocean rolling in, is NOT where Giada and her family live. The production co. who does her show rents this house for a few weeks every yr. so they can tape her shows. She annoys me by constantly saying..."and," "and now," "and then"... I find her low cut blouses equally annoying as no one wants to see her cat boobies (the size of walnuts). She bugs her eyes like Betty Boop, looks to one side and then speaks. She's not the world's greatest cook as she uses panchetta and lemons in almost every dish she makes. What I do enjoy is when her Aunt Raffy cooks with her as Raffy openly declares Giada always gives her the dirty job of cutting up onions or veggies and then "bosses" her around!

by Anonymousreply 12703/30/2012

R127, I agree with all of your Giada DiLaurentiis criticisms -- but what about her TEETH? I think of her as JAWS -- she's a pretty girl & a nice big smile is a lovely thing, but the TEETH are just too much!

by Anonymousreply 12903/30/2012

Peggy/R128, get another drink. And then take a few pills. Take a nap. Then wake up and forget how many you've taken - then take some more. You'll then overdose and you won't have to be bothered by Ina again.

by Anonymousreply 13003/30/2012

I'll bet when the cameras are off none of these celeb chefs cook or even make a coffee. I'm sure they have staff that does everything from them. Probably the only time Jeffery ever gets to taste anything Ina makes is when the cameras are rolling.

If I really loved to cook I'd still cook even if I were filthy rich. Of course I would like someone else to clean up the mess. I admit that.

Today I made tons of sweet potato fries with onions, roasted garlic and fried peppers and onions for the freezer so now I don't have to make them for a long time. What a fucking mess of pots and pans and having to clean the sink and stovetop and cutting board, etc. I love the cooking part but all that cleanup (when I cook with raw meat or fish I give my kitchen a cleaning like it's been exposed to plutonium) that's the part I'd love to have a staff to do.

by Anonymousreply 13103/30/2012

I really like Ina. She always seems so calm and composed. I have tried many of her recipes and they are all very good. Her show does, however, make me wonder if everyone in "the Hampdens" is an elderly, gay, male!

by Anonymousreply 13205/25/2012

[quote]What disgusted me with this woman was when she refused the wish of a dieing child to "cook with Ina Garten," who said she didn't have time! WOW!..you don't have time to fulfill the wish of a child who is terminally ill from The Make A Wish Foundation? That tops the cake, doesn't it! Bet she would have tme if the child was the son of one of her wealthy Hampton friends!

I think it was discovered that it was the mom who wanted to cook with Ina, not the child. The mom was using her child to get Ina to come and cook with her.

by Anonymousreply 13305/25/2012

Lately she's been doing a lot of shows with hoi poloi "face time" - children at the local high school, local firemen, etc. Watching her interacting with them is a supremely awkward experience. Like, she keeps looking at the camera, concerned how everything is coming off.

by Anonymousreply 13405/25/2012

Her recipes are the most delicious, reliable and fool-proof around. The only thing I've made of hers that I didn't care for were her lemon bars, which were too think and didn't set up properly.

by Anonymousreply 13505/25/2012

She doesn't really cook though, does she? It's mostly assembling things.

by Anonymousreply 13605/25/2012

I think she's lovely.

by Anonymousreply 13705/25/2012

I loved the early seasons of Ina's show - when she was on videotape and it was the old house. Even the hokey stories with her friends had a certain charm. Now her show is so plastic. I hate the 'barn' and Ask Ina is just really pointless. But you cannot fault her for including her gay friends - and their partners - as guests on her show. She's a total class act in that regard.

How bad can that be?

by Anonymousreply 13805/25/2012

Ina is as wonderful in real life as she is on her show! I sent her an email to thank her for the Barefoot Contessa show and how much it meant to so many of us in Joplin, Missouri who lost our homes and many of our friends and family in the EF-5 tornado that devastated our city on May 22, 2011. Ina not only was following the tornado, she responded personally with her love and well wishes. She had nothing to gain from this, but did it out of the kindness of her heart. We love Ina in Joplin and would adopt her in a heartbeat if she came here to visit!

by Anonymousreply 13906/11/2012

I would love, love to see Ina do Iron Chef. Imagine her frantically trying to assemmble her gems and being told 'walk away'. How BAD could that be???

by Anonymousreply 14006/11/2012

Honey, Ina wouldn't step foot in Joplin, Missouri.

by Anonymousreply 14106/11/2012

[quote] Ina not only was following the tornado, she responded personally with her love and well wishes. She had nothing to gain from this, but did it out of the kindness of her heart.

Oh, please. I don't give a rat's ass about Joplin or the tornado victims. I'm just doing my best to pretend I'm kind and sympathetic after I got slammed for snubbing that little Make-A-Wish brat.

by Anonymousreply 14206/11/2012

No R133, it wasn't. That was just a story invented by Ins's crazed fans.

by Anonymousreply 14306/11/2012

I think that whole cancer kid debaucle was blown all out of proportion. Why should she have dropped everything to cook with some kid just because he was sick? Are celebrities automatically obligated to do whatever a sick kid or soldier (thinking of all those celebrities who got asked to be dates to army/marine balls for a while there last year) asks, or else be deemed a monster?

by Anonymousreply 14406/11/2012

SPLORT!

Oh my goodness, I'm sorry! All those fava beans last night!

Hee.

by Anonymousreply 14606/24/2012

Be sure to use really good salt.

by Anonymousreply 14806/24/2012

The Make A Wish thing bugged me so much I stopped watching.

by Anonymousreply 14906/26/2012

i cant put into words how much i loathe ina garten. first of all her pretentious attitude is hard to watch. durring her show she makes it seem like shes the only one on the planet who knows how to cook. for example when she has people on the show especially jeffery she makes it seem like they dont know how to do anything. she even described making something as simple as whipped cream to be a daunting task for most people! it irks me how while she measures she never forgets to say make sure you use really good: "vanilla extract, etc." ive even heard her say be sure to use good salt. really? her show is one of the most obviously scripted ive ever seen. has anyone noticed that when someone is sent to the store they all say about the same lines? oh and dont forget at the end when her payed actors eat her food and pretend that its the most impressive thing they've ever had all the while their faces are telling a different story. even the simple things bug me like how she wears the same exact kind of shirt every episode, and how french school students love radishes on salt. i lived in france for 17 years and know this to be a myth. now that i am back home in the states it really makes me wish she would just go live in france since she likes it so much. that way i wouldnt have to see her on tv.

by Anonymousreply 15009/11/2012

[quote]Ina is as wonderful in real life as she is on her show! I sent her an email to thank her for the Barefoot Contessa show and how much it meant to so many of us in Joplin, Missouri who lost our homes and many of our friends and family in the EF-5 tornado that devastated our city on May 22, 2011.

Really? You were standing in the rubble of your city and the only thing that kept you going was the thought of Ina Garten? REALLY??

by Anonymousreply 15109/11/2012

I hate Ina and I hate her husband Jeffery even more!

Those 2 infuriate me!

by Anonymousreply 15309/11/2012

On the other hand, R150, she knows how to spell & punctuate & use capital letters.

by Anonymousreply 15409/11/2012

OK....I was visiting relatives in my home town this weekend, and the nice theater in town was advertising "An Evening with Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa."

The event is in February. Just out of curiosity (and because my mother loves her) I checked for ticket prices. They start at $62 or something. The only other information is that it is a live. 1.5 hour presentation.

Any idea what she does for that amount of money and for that amount of time?

by Anonymousreply 15509/11/2012

It's like Gallagher, except with wind power instead of a sledgehammer.

by Anonymousreply 15609/11/2012

Why is Ina associated with farts? I've never seen her fart. Where does this come from?

by Anonymousreply 15709/11/2012

[154] ya you're probably right, but then again I bet she knows how to spell simple words like "and"

by Anonymousreply 15809/19/2012

I'm not the greatest fan of Ina, but in fairness she did run a food store and knows all the ends and outs of cooking. As for providing eye candy, why doesn't the Food Network approach romance novel cover model Nathan Kamp? Apparently his real passion, besides modelling, is food and he would be just perfect for fronting a series perhaps about sourcing out the best restaurants and eateries. And he would be eye candy for the audience of both sexes!

by Anonymousreply 15909/19/2012

Ina always says "good" when describing an ingredient. "Make sure it's good vanilla." "Make sure it's good olive oil." "Try to find a really good balsamic vinegar." But, unlike Martha, it sounds like she says it just to be helpful. Martha would say it in such a way that you wouldn't dare attempt the recipe unless the ingredients really WERE "good."

by Anonymousreply 16009/19/2012

And don't forget, R160, "it's gonna taste SO good".

In one episode she paid a scripted visit to one of her artisan type stores to pick up three small meringue cases, the sort you get a dozen for about $2-3 in your local supermarket. Ina paid $12 without a whimper. I am sure we can all relate.

by Anonymousreply 16109/19/2012

I don't understand why people call her pretentious. It seems she goes out of her way to keep things simple. Her show is called "back to basics" for peets sake. Yes, her "good" olive oil is pricey as are some of her ingredients, but she always comes across as helpful, not bossy or snatchy.

I'd like to see her sit on Giada's face and let one rip.

by Anonymousreply 16209/19/2012

R163, don't forget

"I mean, how easy is that?"

"Who wouldn't like that?"

"Fabulous.."

"I love arugula, it has such a nice peppery taste.."

"Mmmh! I can't wait for Jeffrey to try this."

"I thought I'd turn the volume up."

Also, listen to the sounds on her show. She always clinks her measuring spoons on the counter, after she adds "some fresh ground black pepper" she sets the spoons down and you hear a merry "KLINK!!!" sound.

by Anonymousreply 16409/19/2012

Why is she so damn fat? I can't watch her.

by Anonymousreply 16509/19/2012

R163, you are so right. I can't lie; I absolutely love the show, but it's just too affected. Her friends, the Hamptons, the get-togethers. It's all too much.

by Anonymousreply 16609/19/2012

I tried to watch her but her nervous laughter is very annoying. She laughs at everything! Her response to every comment or statement is to nervously laugh. Doesn't she feel comfortable or acceptable around her gays?

by Anonymousreply 16709/20/2012

I like Ina's show, but I can't stand her cackling laugh either. Born and raised in the South, so I love the Neely's. I got to meet them in Memphis.

I also got to spend 9 hours with Paula Deen when I won a contest and got to appear on her show. Now that's one woman that's "what you see is what you get"....true blue, that one!!!

by Anonymousreply 16810/30/2012

You probably find an unfamiliar subculture (WASPy snobs) to be alluring which explains the draw. Same reason white kids from the suburbs listen to gangsta rap.

by Anonymousreply 16910/30/2012

I hate the way she breathes on camera. This sort of wet asthma-y effect. She has this sort of pretentious, holier than thou attitude that I can do without also. I like watching cooking shows but they should be hosted by someone I can relate to. Not some pompous bite in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 17001/09/2013

R170 so you are more of a Sandra Lee fan?

by Anonymousreply 17101/09/2013

No...can't watch. And you're are correct...she's unrelatable...NOT authentic.

by Anonymousreply 17202/16/2013

Well I will say Ina's recipes do turn out. As much as I love Paula Deen, I don't always have good luck with Paula's . I really like Ina and her husband. But don't they have any straight friends? I think Ina's probably really nice. They have just always been wealthy and not outside their bubble in the real world.

by Anonymousreply 17302/21/2013

I will agree the Neely's get overbearing and they have the biggest fattest people as guests on their show. Where do they find these people? Some of their recipes are good, but a little of them goes a long way.

by Anonymousreply 17402/21/2013

R175 I think the reason she has so many gay friends is that there are a lot of gays in the catering/party planning business.

The times she has a straight guy on he is another chef or is a female guest's husband or maybe a butcher or fireman when they do a firehouse ep.

I plan on making her blue cheese slaw soon because so many here have raved about it.

by Anonymousreply 17605/29/2013

[quote]I plan on making her blue cheese slaw soon because so many here have raved about it.

If you like blue cheese, you won't be disappointed. The first time I tried it, I made half the recipe for a test batch & ate the whole thing in one sitting. And it's good for you!

by Anonymousreply 17705/29/2013

Forgive me if this has been answered, but what caused the estrangement between her and T.R.? (Had to laugh at how she pronounced his name, like the first part of tiara.)

Today she was drooling all over Joe Somebody, a local chef, I gather.

by Anonymousreply 17805/29/2013

R178, I think he wanted his own show, or something, and Ina wouldn't help him. Ina is all about Ina.

by Anonymousreply 17905/29/2013

R177 OK I made it and just had some now. It's a good thing I have to meet a friend later or I would finish it too. DAMN YOU ALLLLLLLl!!!!!

(ps I have enough ingredients for a 2nd batch)

DAMN YOU ALLLLLLLl!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 18005/29/2013

I'm must wondering if the OP's obesity has killed her yet, the homophobic cunt.

by Anonymousreply 18105/29/2013

I like Ina. As a lot of other people have already mentioned, she's one of the few TV Chefs who has recipes that actually turn out and taste good. I've gone through several of her recipes and the only one that didn't work out for me was a cupcake recipe.

I don't understand the hate that a lot of people have on here about constantly having her gay friends on. Why is that a bad thing? If she didn't, some of you would be complaining that she's homophobic. Some people can't ever be pleased.

by Anonymousreply 18205/29/2013

Hm, the one recipe of hers that didn't come out right for me was a cupcake recipe too. R182, by chance were you making the German Chocolate Cake cupcakes? The eggs curdled when I was whisking them into the frosting. I tried as hard as I could to try to break them down but the frosting had bits of yellow in it. It tasted delicious and didn't bother me, but my husband doesn't like to see eggs (though he eats them in baked goods) and in truth, the yellow bits made them look a little unappealing.

Other than that, I love her recipes although I have learned that anytime her recipes call for fresh squeezed lemon juice or lemon zest start with 1/3 as much and work your way up if needed. She's a fan of fresh lemon flavor and of course, it does make a difference, but not everyone likes so much of it.

by Anonymousreply 18305/29/2013

R183

[quote]by chance were you making the German Chocolate Cake cupcakes?

No, the ones I made were the ones with her chocolate Ganache frosting. The ones she shows with the violet flower on top. She's recycled them a few times on her show, but the episode that stands out was the one where she had recipes with the "Magic Factor."

I have been meaning to try making the German Chocolate ones though.

by Anonymousreply 18405/29/2013

Oh ok. Well like I said, the German Chocolate Cupcakes were superb except for the egg malfunction. I think maybe when making the frosting, add the coconut last instead of before the eggs. This way, if the eggs do curdle you can break them down with the wisk more thoroughly than if the coconut was in the pot with it. They really did taste good.

by Anonymousreply 18505/29/2013

Glad you liked the coleslaw, R180. There are worse hangups.

It actually is pretty good for you -- after all, the cabbage is roughage (which is politely called "fiber" nowadays). And you can make it a little more healthy by using half low fat mayo & half low fat yogurt, I can't tell the difference. I've also use the bagged slaw mix to save time & that's fine too. The important thing is the blue cheese!

by Anonymousreply 18605/29/2013

And T.R. is all about T.R. R179. He's lucky she let him on her show in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 18705/29/2013

How do we know there's an estrangement? Perhaps he's just too busy to be on her show anymore.

by Anonymousreply 18805/29/2013

Everything i've made of hers has turned out perfectly, including the cupcakes.

I love how simple her recipes are, even if the ingredients are occasionally a little pricey.

*** pfffffttt ***

by Anonymousreply 18905/29/2013

Her boxed mixes are a joke. She charges $100 for her brownie and cupcake mixes.

by Anonymousreply 19005/30/2013

Havent watched this in a while and saw it today. She is fatter and as charmless as ever with her stpid annoying sayings...I can do that, how easy is that?, and her stupid laughing at everything. How does she have a show? This segment she is going down boring memory lane with Jeffrey. 40 years of butter. What a slob.

by Anonymousreply 19109/09/2013

so odd that she doesn't have any fat brats

don't like her

her husband can't even type on a computer

haha

by Anonymousreply 19209/09/2013

T.R. is doing "sleepy penis" commercials now. I just saw him in a Cialis commercial trying to act like he's into post-menopausal pussy.

by Anonymousreply 19309/09/2013

Saw a show this weekend where a guest was making kimchee fried rice and Ina seemed unaware of what kimchee is.

How can a foodie who frequently dines in NYC be unaware of what kimchee is?

by Anonymousreply 19409/09/2013

She has not fat brats because she hates children. That's pretty obvious.

by Anonymousreply 19509/09/2013

The Trisha Yearwood show is actually really good. I think I like it as much as I liked Ina's show, which is a lot.

by Anonymousreply 19609/09/2013

[quote]How can a foodie who frequently dines in NYC be unaware of what kimchee is?

We keep fermented foods away from Ina.

It's best for everyone, trust me.

by Anonymousreply 19709/09/2013

Trisha has the worst recipes on the network. She makes Ree Drummond look like Julia Child.

by Anonymousreply 19809/09/2013

Her mushroom lasagna is awesome. I tried it the first time with the nutmeg. Everyone was like...."what the fuck is in this sauce? The last few times I made it, everyone loves it. I've even added left over roast chicken. Yum!

by Anonymousreply 19909/09/2013

She likes rich Hampton children.

by Anonymousreply 20010/14/2013

Is the Food Network airing any new shows for her, or the same reruns?

by Anonymousreply 20110/14/2013

Ina reminds of my mother so I find her show very relaxing and sweet. We've tried some of her recipes and they've been pretty good.

There was a whole slew of really weird housefrau posts in this thread. Reading them was an odd and unpleasant experience.

by Anonymousreply 20210/14/2013

On any thread related to "The Barefoot Contessa" I feel it is my duty to make the following statement:

Ina Garten is a CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 20310/14/2013

[quote]She likes rich Hampton children.

Does she prefer them roasted or grilled?

by Anonymousreply 20410/14/2013

Someone confirm or deny that Ina smokes cigarettes. Many people told they saw her sneaking puffs outside book signings but my friends don't believe me!

I can totally visualize her counting down the hours until Jeffrey goes back to the city for work and she can light up in peace.

by Anonymousreply 20510/14/2013

I'm watching her as I type. She's the most fascinating of all the FN cooks. Her food and cooking style are so good that it's almost mesmerizing.

by Anonymousreply 20610/14/2013

Her recipes ARE the best.

by Anonymousreply 20710/14/2013

"An Evening With Ina Garten" reviewed:

[quote]I recently attended "An Evening with Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa" at the Hanover Theater in Worcester, MA. Don't be fooled, this show is really a promotional tour for her new book: Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust. On the business side of promoting books, this idea is genius! However, the show left me feeling cheated out of my hard-earned money. ... All she did was sit in a chair and answer questions. I'm not saying that she should have cooked a full course meal on stage but it would have been entertaining to watch her cook something simple and maybe even show us some easy table setting ideas, like she does on her show from time to time. It's just watching a cook sit in a chair for 90 minutes was a tad boring.

It's coming to Pittsburgh Thursday night, and tickets start at $46! Anyone going?

*pfffffffft*

by Anonymousreply 20810/14/2013

R208 I think this is a golden opportunity for DLers to come dressed as Ina, Jeffrey or one of her gays (surely anyone can find a shent that fits) and turn it into a real "Rocky Horror" or "Sing-Along Sound of Music"-type event! Imagine the possibilities! I'm putting together my "really good vanilla" costume right now!

by Anonymousreply 20910/14/2013

I'm going as a box of Beano.

by Anonymousreply 21010/14/2013

Poor T.R. apparently has "lazy penis" as he's doing commercials for Cialis now. He looks really old and worn out in the commercial.

I'm sure Ina laughs every time it comes on TV. I can just see her sitting there with Jeffrey, yelling at the TV: "What's the matter T.R.? Can't get it up?"

by Anonymousreply 21110/14/2013

If anyone plans on attending "An Evening With Ina Garten", do please bring one of these!

by Anonymousreply 21210/14/2013

Ina is very sexy. She's a sexual being. She has very strong masculine energy which really rounds out her other other-wordly, domestic goddess persona.

I wouldn't be surprised if she and TR fucked because "they were drunk" or "they were bored." You know Ina probably BRINGS IT in the bedroom. I can totally see TR just BANGING Ina and it's actually turning me on to think of it.

by Anonymousreply 21310/14/2013

She has a very soothing manner. I can understand why her show is popular. Seems like she would be so fun to be with. Jeffrey and she seem to have a great marriage.

by Anonymousreply 21410/20/2013

Ina is perfection, farts and all. Such a charmer!

Giada is obnoxious. The way they amplify and cooking sounds (I don't need to hear the sauce being stirred into the bow tie pasta at full volume! It makes my skin crawl) those big ass choppers and the way she tastes: 1/4 teaspoon on the tip of the spoon and her OH YUMMMMMMMM and exagerated chewing. Bitch, you don't chew gilatto!

by Anonymousreply 21510/20/2013

[quote]Bitch, you don't chew gilatto!

Mamma MIA!

by Anonymousreply 21610/20/2013

Please, I'd take ANYONE over Paula Deen. I couldn't stand that phony sounding,high pitched "Y'all" she squeals.

by Anonymousreply 21710/20/2013

Why oh why does that woman not wear and apron? I guess it is too common. Why does she not clean as she nervously laughs. All her mess confuses what she is cooking and what is being used in the dish. What is wrong with placing dirty used items in the sink so we don't have to look at them ?

by Anonymousreply 21810/24/2013

i think her receipes are great.. they are very high in calories and fat however.. ina does not seem to mind that.. she never mentions this is the heathier version or this ingredient is just as good and it is half the calories and fat.. i do not know hy she does not change her clothes more often.. she wears the same style shirt all the time, even when going out.. with all her money, can't she have some clothes style to make her look like she cares.. this puzzles me..

by Anonymousreply 21911/09/2013

i think that she really cares about people.. i do not think she really cares about herself.. why doesn't she take better care of the way she looks on t. v.

other hosts wear such lovely clothes, why doesn't someone speak to her about this for her to do..

she is overweight, that is true, but she can look stylish even in the kitchen..

i am not being harsh, just telling the truth..

i hope she can read some of these posts..

by Anonymousreply 22011/09/2013

I like Ina. I think she is a lady. I don't think she is an idle chit-chatter like a lot of the food network people are, and this may be the source of her nervous laughter and/or comments. I think she is precise in all that she does, and I think she lives an enviable life. I like seeing where she shops and what she buys because if my life could be that ideal, these are the places I would shop and what I buy. Fresh flowers all the time and an herb garden! I think she was greatly influenced by her time in France and has done all she can in our American society to live the French way. I fix a lot of her recipes and my friends (gay and straight) love it when I share my food. Shy, precise and enviable life. That sums Ina up for me.

by Anonymousreply 22111/29/2013

I'd take ANYONE over Paula Deen, the Neelys, and that juvenile fratboy Sandwich King guy.

I really detest that idiot. He's just plain embarrassing. He makes my skin crawl.

by Anonymousreply 22211/29/2013

Isn't the Barefoot Contessa like the Queen of all hags? Seriously, does she have any straight friends? Even her husband has that queenish vibe.

by Anonymousreply 22311/29/2013

Still, she looks marvelous for her age. Barely a line. Plus, like Julia Childs (and her hubby), there's something about working as spies in Europe that just rounds out your game in the kitchen!

by Anonymousreply 22411/29/2013

Is Ina shopping for Black Friday deals on shents?

by Anonymousreply 22511/29/2013

I was looking for Ina's recipe for celeriac-apple puree and came across this cuntessa reviewing the contessa:

[quote]"Need an off-white puree that tastes like apple-sauce meets mashed potatoes (we were asked to make for pot-luck)? This will serve. As per Food Network's normal sloppiness, written recipe calls for 2 lbs, of celery root, the "Contessa" specifies 2 cups in video. Written recipe mixes volume, weight and quantity - should be written for proportions of the roots depending on quantity (2 x celery root > 1.75 x potatoes > 1.5 x apples > 1 x fennel bulb.) As noted in other reviews, the cooking order is backwards - celery root clearly needs most time (we blanched first to get them started softening) - the order should be as quantity (celery > potatoes > apples > fennel). Who has a French food mill? (As others, inversion blender instead.) Serves 6 easily. Begs for a mix of white and black pepper. Due to all the errors (inspiring confidence when trying something radically different than what it replaces) can't give this more than one star for FNetwork celebrity chef indifference at it's best."

by Anonymousreply 22711/29/2013

Cervical apple puree? Is that a Food Network typo or Ina's? Grateful for the clarification.

by Anonymousreply 22811/29/2013

Um...I have a French food mill, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 22911/29/2013

Aside from her constant fag-hagging and chuckling, that stupid bongo tripe music and horrible camera juggling keep us from watching it.

It's a cooking show. It's not about you you or how much you love your tard husband...

Be sure to mention where you live and show that damn Mercedes hood ornament.

by Anonymousreply 23001/09/2015

It's Food network formulaic ca-ca that has jumped the shark years ago.

by Anonymousreply 23101/09/2015

I enjoy watching her show. I've seen most of them.

by Anonymousreply 23201/09/2015

Ryan Scott would be a lot more popular if he would cook shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 23301/09/2015

I can't stand her and her pretentious attitude but I have some great recipes from her.

by Anonymousreply 23401/09/2015

I made or bisque. I think it was shrimp but it might have been lobster. It wasn't difficult and it was the best I'd ever had. That was the first of her recipes I'd ever made. Since then everything of hers that I've tried has come out wonderfully. With other chef recipes it's hit or miss. The only other one I have almost as much success with is Martha Stewart.

In general I can't stand the rich but say what you will about these two rich broads, you can count on their recipes. Once I even splurged on some "good" vanilla but with that I honestly couldn't tell the difference between it and McCormick's.

Don't you love how on all the FN shows the guests always show up exactly when the food finishes cooking. Then they immediately start to eat. They don't wash up. They don't talk a little first or have drinks or anything. They just chow down. It's so phony but on some shows it's disgusting, like Pioneer Woman. Her husband and kids are out literally handling shit and they come in and start eating without washing their hands. At least I don't think Jeffery has just had his hands up a cow's ass.

I know, you're all dying to say unless he and Ina were just having sex.

by Anonymousreply 23501/09/2015

Paula Deen is a bitch,on that we can agree...

but Ina Garten

is.

a.

CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 23601/09/2015

You'd rather watch Ina's gays "wash up" than watch her cook, R235? How quaint.

by Anonymousreply 23701/09/2015

Take the business end of an ax to your shins, R236. Do it again and again until you fall in a heap. Bleed to death.

by Anonymousreply 23801/09/2015

No, but I would just like a touch of realism and that not every show have the exact same formula. It's the same with HGTV and shows like Love it or List it. Every single episode is exactly the same. I stopped watching that network but occasionally I do get a decent recipe on FN so I do watch some of their shows. The only fake reality show on FN I enjoy is Chopped but then I really adore Ted Allen. One of the worst formula shows on FN is that one where the English guy swoops in to save a restaurant. OMG, each one is identical.

Now a good reality cooking show is A Chef's Life on PBS. She acknowledges when she fights with her husband things like "I don't want to do this when the cameras are here. Also while it is difficult to watch she shows where are meat and poultry come from by the cameras following the slaughter of the animals, pigs, chickens and such. They cut at the moment when the actual killing takes place but you can hear what's happening and see the look on the Chef, Vivian's, face.

In one episode a hog she had come to know was about to be killed and she had this very real second when she looked horrified and said, "OMG, I just looked into his eyes." You could tell that was something she had not wanted to do. She and the farmers she deals with in South Carolina make the very important points that if you're going to kill the animal and if you're going to cook it and eat it you should witness that this living thing is being killed and also how important it is to not waste anything, not one part of the animal that was just murdered for your food.

It was also made very clear that chickens do continue to move after their heads have been cut off, like the old saying, "running around like a chicken with its head cut off."

She's one of the farm to table chef's and at least all the animals she uses come from small organic type farms where they have led good lives until the end.

This show also give excellent insight into the running of a restaurant. She even admits that her restaurant wasn't doing too well (it's located in a financially depressed area) until the TV show began to air and now people are coming just to eat at the place they've seen on TV and to meet her.

Another honest thing is her saying that her parents are and have always been pig farmers but more like a factory farm, the kind of pork you get at the supermarket and she will not use their pigs. She only uses the ones that had a good life on the pasture and are slaughtered with one quick shot to the head.

Good show. New episodes are usually on PBS, channel 13 here in NYC, Sunday nights at 7:30 pm and reruns are on the PBS Create channel at various times of the week.

by Anonymousreply 23901/09/2015

R238.

Ina?

Is that you?

My, you really ARE a cunt!

by Anonymousreply 24001/09/2015

[quote]Take the business end of an ax to your shins,

You must use a really good ax.

by Anonymousreply 24101/09/2015

You have to have an annual income of $80,000 to cook what Ina eats. Pretty pricey ingredients but I do enjoy her show. She won an Emmy but haven't seen a new show in ages

by Anonymousreply 24205/15/2015

R239, Chef's Life is fine but Vivian is a whiny bitch. When she opened a second restaurant I stopped watching because I wasn't up for yet more whining. The only bigger bitch on that show is her husband - and you know those kids are going to grow up to be monsters. (One good thing about Ina - no kids!)

by Anonymousreply 24305/15/2015

Jeffrey has to work away, oops, I mean "work away", during the week to recover from all the stage-managed weekends and cardiac-inducing food he's expected to eat.

I wonder if Inny and Jezzle still have sex? She always kisses him on the head or cheek, maybe if he's lucky, a light, ever-so-dainty, peck on the mouth in one of those oh-so-natural, not-posed-at-all-for-the-camera scenes where she's standing over him, after he's more-or-less been force-fed one of her concoctions full of sugar/fat/cream/mayo/saturated fat, staring at him intently as if to say, "I can't give you sex, but this is a good substitute right? RIGHT???"

The Barefoot Contessa sure makes me wonder about things when I watch it, the least of which is food or cooking.

Disclaimer - I'm sure she's a lovely person. haha

Anyone ever seen Bitchin Kitchen with Nadia Giosia? Another one, possibly on coke or something, as she's funny, yet so hyper and skinny. I love the scenes where she's trying her just-cooked stuff and always makes it look like she's not just scoffing one mouthful for the cam, (and then spitting it out seconds later for another take or even not another take), and trying to give the impression she's enthusiastically shovelled the whole damn lot off cam. Oh, the wonders of television.

by Anonymousreply 24405/29/2015

I am 72 years old. I cook 5 nights out of 7. Sandra Lee and Semi Homemade is very good. She isn't married and has no children. Giada has some fine Italian recipes but she does have large teeth and head for her body. Ina Barefoot Contessa has recipes that are fairly easy to prepare and are delicious Watching Ina you learn to use standup mixer, food processor, etc. ladies weRing lipstick tend to open mouth and use teeth to pull food off fork. If you don't care for these personalities; don't watch their shows Also it's not necessary to make so many derogatory remarks.

by Anonymousreply 24506/08/2015

[quote] Sandra Lee and Semi Homemade is very good. She isn't married and has no children.

Not married, just shacking up. Eat your Kwanzaa Kake, dear.

by Anonymousreply 24606/08/2015
Need more help? Click Here.