Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Maura Tierney a lesbian?

So I'm just getting around to looking at a cover story in Parade about her cancer survival and new show on ABC that was from last week or the week before while going through old newspapers.

As I read the profile of her I think it's interesting how they keep mentioning and quoting this "close friend of 15 years" who is a female TV writer apparently. No mention of boyfriends or anything. Just this female friend quoted repeatedly and discussion of special gifts that Maura has got her. And it occurs to me I've never seen her in the tabs or any speculation about her relationships despite the fact she has been in the public eye for like 15 years dating back to her News Radio days and on to her long-term er stint.

She's never pinged for me and I've never seen her name mentioned on DL so has she just been hiding in plain sight this entire time?

by Anonymousreply 7111/24/2013

FWIW, she was married to Billy Morisette for 13 years. She's always pinged IMO, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109/26/2010

When Maura Tierney got the role on ER she declared that she had a lesbian crush on all of the women on the show in Time Out NY magazine. This was before the wrote the Weaver character as gay.

Her glib answer to "who do you want your character to hook up with on the show" was "Laura Innes." And she clarified THAT by explaining that she thought she was especially wonderful because she was a great director - rather than back-track with nervous "oooh I'm straight" stuff.

Even so I believe she only pinged to me because of wishful thinking. She was in a relationship - or married - to a guy at the time.

She was remarkably successful as 'the girl' in a lot of movies at that time without ever becoming tabloid fodder. Her work-day and career revolved around NewsRadio before ER. And that is hardly a set where anyone would have been pressured to stay closeted. I would be more surprised to find out that she felt the need to be closeted than anything else at this point.

If she does end up being gay and coming out - I would imagine that it would be a situation where as a bisexual she eventually settles down with a woman.

by Anonymousreply 209/26/2010

She's always pinged for me.

by Anonymousreply 309/26/2010

Her former husband kinda pinged to me after I read this feature about him in the Times. He seemed rather, oh I don't know..."domestic."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409/26/2010

A few years ago I was listening to "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me" on NPR, a program that frequently phone celebrities to take a quiz. This involves a lot of banter and a light interview, of course. Anyway, I tuned in after they started the celebrity segment and I didn't know who I was listening to, but it was obviously a lesbian. At the end of the segment, Peter Sagal says "Thank you, Maura Tierney!" She totally pings for me.

by Anonymousreply 509/26/2010

Maybe it's a religious thing for her so she doesn't come out? The Parade article really emphasizes the Boston Irish Catholic thing with her background.

BTW, the "TV comedy writer and Tierney's close friend of 15 years" quoted for the article is named Julie Bean.

And it also mentions some painting of a "really calm woman" by an artist named Heather Barron that Tierney has hanging in her house and how Tierney gave one of the paintings to Bean for her birthday.

Never ever heard of the writer or the artist before.

by Anonymousreply 609/26/2010

I hate to be posting twice so early in a thread but am going to anyway.

I wouldn't she shocked or surprised to find out she was gay. I would be shocked to find out that she was closeted. Gay I can believe. Hiding in plain sight would be astonishing.

Did anyone ever ask her? Has she ever said, "I'm straight, bi or not gay"?

(the ex-husband seems cute. I do hope it was one of those rare 'happy' divorces. But for some reason I suspect it was sad. He never got a career. She got cancer. End of relationship.)

by Anonymousreply 709/26/2010

why would you be shocked? 99% of gay Hollywood is closeted

by Anonymousreply 809/26/2010

R5, what sort of things was she saying that made you feel she was obviously a lesbian?

My bet is on Tierney being bi, but this might just be wishful projection. She seems to be smart and fun as well as beautiful, and she's a superb actress. She commented how her doctor wanted her to get a sense for how the latest breast implants feel different from the traditional silicon, so he got two women with these implants to come and meet her. For whatever reason, Tierney seems to enjoy playing with lesbian innuendo, because she spoke about how they all took their shirts off, and she was able to touch these other women's breasts.

by Anonymousreply 909/26/2010

There was a rumor (maybe BI) years ago that she'd been spotted making out with Jorja Fox. Either stellar investigative journalism, or lesbian wet dream. You choose...

by Anonymousreply 1009/26/2010

r9,

It wasn't particularly things that Tierney said that made me suspect something, but just how things came out of her "very close friend." In any event, whatever her orientation, she seemed like a cool, fun woman and good for her for fighting and beating cancer.

From the article: "She's a tough Boston chick," says Julie Bean, a TV comedy writer and Tierney's close friend of 15 years. "They've got a hard veneer, but once you get inside, they have your back for the rest of your life. She's really a love bug --- total 100% ball of goo."

[...]

Back in 2008, while she was still on the show, she signed on to perform off-Broadway in Nicky Silver's black comedy "Three Changes" even though she admits to "crazy" stage fright. "I'd be backstage thinking, 'Okay, if this gets really bad they'll just take me to Bellevue.'"

[...]

Flea market finds and odd gifts from some of her co-stars fill Tierney's much-beloved Venice Beach house. "Did she mention the stuffed squirrels in a glass case that Andy Dick gave her?" her friend Julie Bean asks with a laugh. "It hangs in the powder room."

by Anonymousreply 1109/26/2010

well no one else has an opinion on this?

by Anonymousreply 1210/02/2010

She's always pinged to me.

by Anonymousreply 1310/02/2010

No one else is interested, OP/6/11/12.

by Anonymousreply 1410/02/2010

I have a crush on her, but I had a crush on every woman and man on ER in that era. I don't usually fall for straight women. She has lesbian face. So yeah, there's pinging.

by Anonymousreply 1510/02/2010

she is gene tierney's granddaughter

by Anonymousreply 1610/02/2010

Well her angry lesbo haircut isn't helping matters. And yes, I realize the hairdo is probably a hold over from her recent chemo treatments. Unfortunately though she looks plain beyond words, angry and possibly allergic to a makeup brush. Are we to assume unattractive lawyers are more intelligent?

by Anonymousreply 1710/03/2010

Never pinged for me.

by Anonymousreply 1810/03/2010

I have met a few actors (and actresses) and all of them were quite different from their TV or film personas. So, to say that someone pings based on a radio interview... let's just say, you could be very surprised if you ever met MT in person.

by Anonymousreply 1910/03/2010

R17, I can't decide if you're a misogynistic gay man or a pathetic lipstick lesbian who works overtime to prove she's not really like "them."%0D %0D %0D But really, either way, fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 2010/03/2010

I never liked how ER wrote against character -- by the way the actresses played them, it seemed to me that the MD with the cane was the alcoholic and Abby was the lesbian...

by Anonymousreply 2110/03/2010

Don't know but I j'adore her.

I would almost turn straight for her. Almost.

by Anonymousreply 2210/03/2010

I always thought she had a certain sexiness about her that doesn't come from looks but something that she projects. I always thought she might be gay but I'm willing to concede that just might be wishful thinking.

by Anonymousreply 2310/03/2010

R15, what are the tell-tale signs that indicate she has "lesbian face"? (And please, if any other posters are going to pitch in with answers here, please refrain the usual remarks that her face is shaped like a bread pudding, or her eyebrows are made out of walking canes, or her lips are perfectly crafted for muttering "Michigan Womyn's Fest" thousands of times).

by Anonymousreply 2410/04/2010

No, she's not gay, only her new hair-do is.

by Anonymousreply 2510/04/2010

Lesbian face? I thought the proper DL term was "cane face."

You know I always thought she had really good chemistry with Dave Foley on News Radio. Is he even straight?

by Anonymousreply 2610/04/2010

Is she really Gene Tierney's granddaughter?

by Anonymousreply 2710/05/2010

Not gay, though her ex Billy is. His bf is a friend of my bf.

by Anonymousreply 2810/22/2010

[quote]Is she really Gene Tierney's granddaughter?%0D %0D No, she's not. %0D %0D PS: Maura Tierney and her younger boyfriend broke up, by the way.%0D %0D [i]In a magazine article today (Parade Magazine) she said that her ex boyfriend had helped her when she first found out she had cancer. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2910/24/2010

Her new show "The Whole Truth" is at risk getting cancelled.%0D %0D I kinda like that show. Would be too bad for her.

by Anonymousreply 3010/24/2010

You can see she's still recovering from her cancer treatment (face still slightly swollen, and she looks tired, though some of that may be that they want her to look like an overworked attorney on her new show).

Still hot. And I'd love it if she were family.

by Anonymousreply 3110/24/2010

Her ex has a nice place (R4). Straight men don't have that much taste.

by Anonymousreply 3210/24/2010

I saw her shopping at Whole Foods with a hot, well-built guy. He looked like a trainer but they also appeared to be a couple.

by Anonymousreply 3310/24/2010

A very attractive woman in her best years does not spend 13 years married to a gay man unless she's gay herself R28. Did she spend 13 years doing her nails? I'm guessing, if your story is true, she's just not out to you.

by Anonymousreply 3410/24/2010

[quote]I saw her shopping at Whole Foods with a hot, well-built guy. He looked like a trainer but they also appeared to be a couple.%0D %0D That was obviously her (ex) boyfriend. I read somewhere that he is a trainer and younger. Some people (Maura fans) have found that out.%0D %0D Apparently they broke up.

by Anonymousreply 3510/24/2010

I hope her show is not canceled.

by Anonymousreply 3610/24/2010

FUCK. They canceled The whole truth. Why is it always the good shows? And dreck like Desperate housewives will outlive me.

by Anonymousreply 3710/26/2010

They canceled it?!%0D %0D Damn!!%0D %0D I liked it and I feel sorry for Maura.

by Anonymousreply 3810/26/2010

Love her, love her voice.

Also, if her ex-hub was such a failure, did he get the 1.5 mil in the divorce settlement?

by Anonymousreply 3910/26/2010

Ask Kate Jackson how that works, R39.

by Anonymousreply 4010/26/2010

link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4110/26/2010

by Anonymousreply 4210/26/2010

that's too bad for her show. I guess she can come out now though if she was the blind item.

by Anonymousreply 4310/28/2010

Loved ha on Newsradio

by Anonymousreply 4410/28/2010

While I have no idea about her orientation, what I do know is that she's not the kind of person any network or agent or producer could convince to stifle her truth.

by Anonymousreply 4510/28/2010

I hope she comes back to NYC and does a play. She's good onstage.

by Anonymousreply 4610/28/2010

bump

by Anonymousreply 4711/18/2010

I remember her from News Radio and ER, but didn't see her latest foray into TV.

I've heard she's best on stage and not pretentious at all.

by Anonymousreply 4811/19/2010

I love Maura. Would make my day to find out she's a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 4912/12/2010

no she is not a lesbian. I am from boston, I know her and Ive known her friend JB since I was 14 years old - JB is married - so no, niether of them are lesbians, just good, long time friends who care about each other - and happen to be in the entertainment realm and who come from boston.

by Anonymousreply 5011/11/2011

My stepdad would always comment that she was a lesbian when we watched Newsradio.

by Anonymousreply 5111/11/2011

She should have been the lesbian on ER.

by Anonymousreply 5211/11/2011

I've never met anyone likeable who was from Boston.

by Anonymousreply 5311/11/2011

She had zero chemistry with the guys she was paired up with on ER. On the show she was supposed to be this highly desirable woman, but she was plain as an old shoe and always had a hangdog expression on her face. Both Carter and Luka were in love with her and vying for her attention; what idiocy! She and Luka ended up together, but they never even seemed to really like each other, much less be so in love they had a baby and rode off into the sunset to live happily ever after.

by Anonymousreply 5411/11/2011

have met her. not gay.

by Anonymousreply 5511/11/2011

No offense to R28 and R55 but I never buy Datalounge comments about "I met her and she's not gay".

Gay men have bad gaydar for women.

No idea personally if she's gay but she certainly pings and the drinking problem and being married (possibly) to a gay man are huge red flags.

by Anonymousreply 5611/11/2011

No. Stop asking so many questions

by Anonymousreply 5711/11/2011

[quote]No offense to [R28] and [R55] but I never buy Datalounge comments about "I met her and she's not gay". Gay men have bad gaydar for women.

How do you know R55 is a man?

by Anonymousreply 5811/11/2011

My husband and I were playing craps in Las Vegas and she was with her bestest friend and it was obvious they were more than just best girlfriends. they were very amorous at the tables.

by Anonymousreply 5903/11/2013

She's probably gay, but who is her gfriend?

Another actress?

by Anonymousreply 6003/11/2013

No.

by Anonymousreply 6103/11/2013

Julianna Marguiles

by Anonymousreply 6203/11/2013

Is her ex-husband really gay?

Wow!

by Anonymousreply 6305/27/2013

Good for her if she is, she's lovely.

by Anonymousreply 6405/28/2013

I'm sure you all are wishful thinking, but not all women are lesbians, their are plenty of straight women, maybe you should try it instead of accusing Maura of being like you. Until she says she isn't straight, then I'm going to believe she is, and usually religious people are straight because they read their bible and they know what God says about gays/lesbians. I hope & pray that she will always stay straight!

by Anonymousreply 6511/23/2013

[quote] their are plenty of straight women,

Oh, look, a stupid religious person who can't spell.

by Anonymousreply 6611/23/2013

R65: Homophobic AND illiterate! Two for you, Glen Coco!

by Anonymousreply 6711/23/2013

She has a boyfriend. I live in her hood.

by Anonymousreply 6811/24/2013

How odd that this latest homophobe chose to search the archives and bump a 3-year-old thread.

Hmmmmm....

by Anonymousreply 6911/24/2013

R65,

You do realize you're on a gay site. What are you doing here?

by Anonymousreply 7011/24/2013

maura really aged quickly from when she was on NewsRadio.

by Anonymousreply 7111/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!