Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bakery in Indianapolis Refuses to Make Rainbow Cupcakes for Gay Student Group

Owner says it would be like making a cupcake with an obscenity.

by Anonymousreply 23802/03/2013

Really dumb. They're right in downtown Indianapolis. This is going to offend a big part of their client base.

by Anonymousreply 109/25/2010

Time to boycot.

Time to flood with emails and letters.

Tweet and FB people to avoid this homophobic business.

Write to local news about it.

Letter to the editor.

Organize a big group to protest outside.

We can put the pressure on. We can even make it a national story. We can seriously hurt the business of homophobes. And we should.

by Anonymousreply 209/25/2010

In Canada, a business providing a service isn't allowed to select who they'll do business with [unless those requesting the service are doing so for an illegal purpose]. They can be heavily fined and or go to jail.

When will the U.S. join all of the other civilzed coutries of the world?

hmmmmm?

by Anonymousreply 309/25/2010

R2 must really like cupcakes!

by Anonymousreply 409/25/2010

I've never understood the business wisdom of pissing off a customer base with disposable income and brand loyalty you find nowhere else. Seems like you could just smile and make them and go home and call the money faggot all night long if you really had to.

by Anonymousreply 509/25/2010

Call them up, tell them you had a big order but you're going to give it to their competition. Hang up. And then do so. Call their competition and let them know you're giving them an order because the other baker is a homophobe and you don't want to give THEM your business.

by Anonymousreply 609/25/2010

No, R4, R2 just really hates homophobes, and wants to see them fail due to their homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 709/25/2010

[italic]In Canada, a business providing a service isn't allowed to select who they'll do business with [unless those requesting the service are doing so for an illegal purpose]. They can be heavily fined and or go to jail.[/italic]

Well, the excuse is going to be that they're not denying service, but that they're denying what they want on the product. There's a difference.

by Anonymousreply 809/25/2010

Heteroperverts will stop at nothing to defile even the most family-friendly of symbols. Now they're claiming that rainbows are obscene! Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 909/25/2010

Cupcakes? Indianapolis? Really? This is what I should be up in arms about?

by Anonymousreply 1009/25/2010

One of the comments says that the owners' "impressionable daughters" are 17 and 20 years old. At least one is away at college. It wouldn't have occurred to the Faux reporter to ask the ages as soon as the guy said that, nor to report it if he had told them.

by Anonymousreply 1109/25/2010

Don't waste your time with this little cupcake stand.

Apply pressure on their LESSORS. Indianapolis City Market is a non-profit organization, for heaven's sake (see link below). These homophobes probably get cut rate lease rates, and they are located in an historic building on prime Indy real estate.

by Anonymousreply 1209/25/2010

That whoshing sound you just heard, was R10 completely missing the point and the principle.

by Anonymousreply 1309/25/2010

This smells like a publicity stunt from a failing business.

"Let's get attention from Hoosiers who hate fags!"

by Anonymousreply 1409/25/2010

Shame the bakery took that stand, but really ..... can't people just say 'I want to order four dozen rainbow cupcakes' ? Does it have to be 'I'd like to order 4 dozen rainbow cupcakes and need them by October 11 for the campus Coming Out/Gay Pride event ?' In working with any vendor, I would only bring up what I needed the product for if it was going to be specifically labelled (and even then, I don't need to give you the detail .... If I want the cake to say 'Happy Birthday, Joe' .... I don't need to say it's his 45th birthday, blah, blah, blah. Or if I order t-shirts that say 'Have A Great Retirement, Sue' .... I'm not telling you 'Oh Sue worked for such and such for fifty years....'

by Anonymousreply 1509/25/2010

Here's their telephone number and address:

Phone (317) 634.4456 222 East Market Street

Indianapolis, Indiana

by Anonymousreply 1609/25/2010

Way to miss the point, R15. Are you a closet case, perchance?

by Anonymousreply 1709/25/2010

I'll call and order a large penis shaped cake.

by Anonymousreply 1809/25/2010

Uh .... no, I'm not R17 ...... I'm not missing the point, I'm just making a different point. Order the cupcakes and shut uo already. Better yet, I'm sure there are gay friendly bakeries in the area ... support them .... and shut up.

by Anonymousreply 1909/25/2010

Why should you have to hide the gay thing, though?

And if they had, they might not have found out this bakery WASN'T gay friendly/suppotive... and would have unknowingly been ordering from a homophobe.

You're not thinking this thing through at all.

Being gay is not something to be ashamed of and that needs to be hidden.

by Anonymousreply 2009/25/2010

Yeah, r19.... It's best to keep National Coming Out Day on the down-low.

by Anonymousreply 2109/25/2010

Would the bakery be ok with pink triangles? The Nazis liked them...

by Anonymousreply 2209/25/2010

But you have to love the owner-woman on the video who said: We don't make cupcakes, we're "Just Cookies." Then she said, "We don't have enough colors to make rainbow cupcakes."

by Anonymousreply 2309/25/2010

And, maybe the group was paying for the order with their club funds, so it would be on the check.

Though identifying yourself as a rep for a GLBT group IS a good way of finding out a homophobic vendor and spending your dollars somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 2409/25/2010

R23' she meant to say, "We don't have enough [bold]coloreds[/bold] to make rainbow cupcakes"

by Anonymousreply 2509/25/2010

r15, who said the kids TOLD them what the cupcakes were for? Did you ever stop to think that the homophobe keeps up with the homosexual goings on at the campus near him? Did you ever stop to think that someone went into the store, put in an order, and the homophobe thought he was a fairy or the woman was too manly-looking to be "ordinary?" And then he casually asked "what's this for?"

Or, did you ever think that he, being the self-hater that he probably is, knows what the rainbow flag stands for?

Or, maybe they wanted a message on their cakes that identified them as gay cakes. WTF does it matter? Hmm? What's wrong with you that you think something like that needs to be kept secret? People go into bakeries/businesses all the time and say "My little Suzie is turning 12, or she's going to college, or getting married," etc...That's how people are when they're in a celebratory mood. You need to take a look at your mindset and change it, sister.

by Anonymousreply 2609/25/2010

Indiana's on a roll. Yesterday the Bureau of Motor Vehicles denied a gay youth group the right to be issued specialty license plates.

This in a state where every dumb little group has a specialty plate.

by Anonymousreply 2709/25/2010

The Flying Cupcake Bakery has great flavors. They're better off getting them there anyway! Everyone in Indy be sure to give your business to the Flying Cupcake.

by Anonymousreply 2809/25/2010

Please re-read my post at R15. I'm NOT saying shut up 'about the gay thing' .... I'm saying just SHUT UP (about your friend's retirement, your friend's birthday .... whatever). Order the cupcakes. I don't need to change my mindset, R26.... that's exactly what it is. My response would've been the same if the Indianapolis bakery refused to make cupcakes for an AA meeting or a Sarah Palin event. I agree it's good to know who your friends and enemies are. I think there is probably a gay or lesbian owned bakery nearby that would've loved the business.

by Anonymousreply 2909/25/2010

So, r15, you're saying people should stop acting like humans and more like emotionless automatons.

Humans are naturally social creatures. They want to share. You're one of the unique ones who bottles it all up inside to keep for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 3009/25/2010

Anyone have an e mail address for this business?

by Anonymousreply 3109/25/2010

The people in Indiana...dumb as stumps.

by Anonymousreply 3209/25/2010

Sounds like they chose another bakery; problem solved. The bakers who denied them the particular arrangement are fully within their right; yet they don't have a monopoly on the ever growing cupcake market. It's good that this university organization alerted the media of this, but it's also good that they put money into the pockets of another bakery willing to accommodate their desired arrangements.

by Anonymousreply 3309/25/2010

I couldn't get the link to open, so I don't know the name of the bakery.

by Anonymousreply 3409/25/2010

"I'm saying just SHUT UP (about your friend's retirement, your friend's birthday)"

Hey, that works perfectly if all you ever order are decorative cupcakes. But what about the more common order: a celebation cake, like "Happy Coming Out Day" or "Happy Wedding Anniversary, Tom and Bruce."

Perhaps everyone should just edit thier cakes so as not to offend the bakery owners or to violate your Too Much Personal Information dictum.

by Anonymousreply 3509/25/2010

I'm confused about something here, please let me know if I misunderstood.

Rainbow cupcakes are everywhere for sale in the goofy red-state southern town where I currently live. I've seen them at Walmart and at Publix. They have spray painted rainbows (the frosting is done in a normal sort of whipped-cream swirl pattern, and then someone went over it with spray on food coloring and sprayed them with the rainbow colors.) They're cheapy junk food, but they are everywhere in these grocery store bakeries. They do similar ones in Halloween colors at Halloween, 4th of July red-white-blue, and so on. I am sure they could have gone to one of those kinds of grocery stores (if we can eliminate larger questions about the ethics of shopping at places like Walmart just for the sake of argument.)

by Anonymousreply 3609/25/2010

Their phone just rings and rings - no voicemail.

by Anonymousreply 3709/25/2010

Final comment (and then I'm off to order some cupcakes that say THREAD CLOSED .....ha ha)

I DO agree the bakery is wrong and it is good to know where they stand (and if I was from that area, I wouldn't buy from them) and R35 is exactly right and I would be offended by that as well.

My comment was specifically about the public's general need to overshare or provide too much information, not about the gay group order specifically. I read more into what happened and I apologize.

I recall hearing from my mother about a situation where a famous comic was introduced to a young handicapped girl who he treated cruelly. The story spread and I've never watched anything that comic did again ...... I hope the same thing happens with this bakery.

by Anonymousreply 3809/25/2010

R38, nobody cares if it's your first, last, or only commment. You're "anonymous." Deal.

by Anonymousreply 3909/25/2010

This is a job for 4chan!

by Anonymousreply 4009/25/2010

R36, maybe they wanted to give their money to a small local business instead of WalMart?

by Anonymousreply 4109/25/2010

I definitely think that would be the best thing to do, and I think small bakeries would make them better (better looking and better tasting.) I was just interested in the idea that rainbow cupcakes are somehow controversial in Indianapolis, when they are everywhere in a red state where I live. Everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 4209/25/2010

My sister used to be a professional baker and once time she got an order for a cake that said: "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, YOU WHORES."

My sister just thought it was funny. "I bet it was for some gay guys," she said.

by Anonymousreply 4309/25/2010

Wow, these guys don't seem to be bothered by the bad economy at all when they still pick and choose their costumers based on company's family values.

Flag them as homophobic and move on to a bakery which is willing to take the job.

by Anonymousreply 4409/25/2010

What is this Indianpolis of which you speak?

by Anonymousreply 4509/25/2010

Is that Katy Perry with her penis bachelorette party cake at R45?

by Anonymousreply 4609/25/2010

Find out the name of you local Republican PR director,place a large order from the offending bakery for a fake party at Republican headquarters, and have them delivered.

by Anonymousreply 4709/25/2010

I know what you mean, r3 but there's part of me that thinks that's not right. If I owned a business, I should have every right to say no to you.

by Anonymousreply 4809/25/2010

R48, and you should have ever right to refuse service to all black people too, right?

by Anonymousreply 4909/25/2010

People - focus your energy on the root of all these problems. Vote Democrat in the mid-terms.

by Anonymousreply 5009/25/2010

Don't even go there, r49. Don't try to turn this into a race thread. This is why DL has turn to shit. Stop trying to make this about race you freak.

by Anonymousreply 5109/25/2010

I'm not trying to make it about race. I'm just pointing out with a very clear example why you're absofuckinglutely wrong. The mindset is the same. There is no difference between not wanting to serve gays, and not wanting to serve blacks. No, businesses should NOT be able to discriminate like that. And a big FUCK YOU for thinking they should (or for thinking it's okay to discriminate against gays, but dear god, not blacks, don't even go there!)

(rolling eyes at the ignorant short-sighted bigoted ass that is R48/R51)

by Anonymousreply 5209/25/2010

I'm sympathetic to the Libertarians in this thread who advocate letting store owners sell their goods to whomever they want, and suffer the benefit or harm that may come from such a decision. However, we are such a small minority, and our oppressors are so organized, I'm not sure a free market in a place like Indiana can function the way we'd like it to.

I'd be interested to know what effect this has on the bakery's business in the future. In Indiana I presume a sizable part of the population will feel virtuous in buying their baked goods at Just Cookies.

by Anonymousreply 5309/25/2010

[quote]However, we are such a small minority, and our oppressors are so organized,

...and you don't recognize that this is true of all minorities? You've never grasped the concept of systemic oppression or prejudice?

Libertarians are all so fucking naive and clueless about the real world. It's always stunning to me that they have no concept of what the real-world consequences of their beliefs would be.

Most of these laws that protect minorities from the tyranny of the majority evolved for a reason, dumbasses.

by Anonymousreply 5409/25/2010

Where the fuck do you read in my thread that I said it was ok not to serve gays? Point it out to me. I was replying to r3 post taking about IN GENERAL, of not being forced to serve something you may not agree with.

Example, if someone came at me with an order to supply the KKK with their festive hang-man cupcakes, I think I should have the right to say no. Get it? This is why I said, I am half and half about what r3 posted. If I owned a business, I like to think I can decided who I can serve but at the same time that opens up the doors for more harmful things, ie like what you said.

Can you pass that through your head? Man, some fucking posters....

by Anonymousreply 5509/25/2010

[quote]I'd be interested to know what effect this has on the bakery's business in the future. In Indiana I presume a sizable part of the population will feel virtuous in buying their baked goods at Just Cookies.

This owner is fringe, looney-tunes character, like fringe people in every city. You can go to any other bakery in town and see ready made items with rainbow colors on them.

This is a little operation in a food court on the edge of downtown. No one is going to go out of their way, skipping bigger, better, and more well known bakeries, to go to this little place. Those who buy a cookie there on their lunch hour are not even going to know any of this happened.

As for reviews of the situation, see here:

by Anonymousreply 5609/25/2010

There is a big difference between the KKK and a gay student group. One advocates hate and violence, the other tolerance. This is a no brainer--and libertarians have no brains at all.

Let me share with you a typical libertarian anecdote. My cousin is a "devoted" libertarian who opposes "big government" and "regulation." Of course, she supports DADT (regulation?), and collected unemployment after she arranged to get laid off her job (she got a divorce, and needed time "to adjust"). No, she was not lazy--and hell, she had "paid into unemployment" and deserved every penny.

Get the picture?

Anyway, she is a "libertarian" and smokes copious amounts of pot. Btw, she is all for no smoking in public places--but hey, she's all for individual liberty.

Assholes.

by Anonymousreply 5709/25/2010

parody

by Anonymousreply 5809/25/2010

The business operates in a public space; it is a public accomodation. It is not a private club. The Lessor is an historic building that operates as a tax-free not-for-profit corporate entity.

They most certainly DO NOT have the right to refuse service to gay customers.

by Anonymousreply 5909/25/2010

Maybe the group thought by ordering cupcakes, they would not be perceived as gay.

by Anonymousreply 6009/25/2010

I wonder if they can bake a soapbox for all of you to stand on..... who the fuck cares?

by Anonymousreply 6109/25/2010

I care. Run these fuckers out of business. I'm tired of this discrimination shit, be it the Armed Forces or some bullshit little baker in Indianapolis.

Enough is enough!

by Anonymousreply 6209/25/2010

[quote]advocate letting store owners sell their goods to whomever they want,

Yes, please. This one one time, a man come into my store and he wants to buy the whole chunk of the Red Dragon cheese, and I say no, and he says, what do you mean, and I say because someone else might want some, and he says but I want all of it, and of course I say no again because I don't KNOW HIM. And what a bitch he stormed off.

And then the Red Dragon cheese is very much more asked for. So it all works out.

by Anonymousreply 6309/25/2010

I'm sorry - these are gay kids? And not one of them bakes?

by Anonymousreply 6409/25/2010

They do look like they'd be a chore to make.

by Anonymousreply 6509/25/2010

R65k, that's not as hard as it looks! Divide the batter into how many colors you want and add different food coloring into each bowl and stir. Then pour a little of each color into your cupcake baking pan.

I actually think the spray color frosting cupcakes in the stores look harder to make because I have no idea where I would get a food safe sprayer like that with multiple nozzles for all the colors?

by Anonymousreply 6609/25/2010

R66 is describing a gay existential crisis.

by Anonymousreply 6709/25/2010

I love you, r66

by Anonymousreply 6809/25/2010

Where I worked, we just stuck little paper rainbows on each cupcake.

by Anonymousreply 6909/25/2010

It seems that the place is getting a lot of bad reviews...can't think why?

by Anonymousreply 7009/25/2010

Enough with the drama!

Just take your business elsewhere.

We'd love to make your cupcakes.

by Anonymousreply 7109/25/2010

Gee..... the economy is in the crapper, two wars, Republicans may take over Congress....and to top it off......GAY CUPCAKE REFUSAL!!!!!

End times are near!

by Anonymousreply 7209/25/2010

I went to Billy's on 9th Ave and got a red velvet cupcake (cupcak).... the young black queen was SOOOO offended that I only bought one.....

Point is: Even the gay cupcake stores can be out of line!

I'M OUTRAGED!

by Anonymousreply 7309/25/2010

The bakery is now advertising.

by Anonymousreply 7409/25/2010

Let's fix that:

by Anonymousreply 7509/26/2010

Because until the heteroperverts decided they were obscene, rainbows were just rainbows and not slurs or porn, r76.

by Anonymousreply 7709/26/2010

HOW TO SEND A MESSAGE OF PROTEST TO INDIANAPOLIS CITY MARKET:

by Anonymousreply 7809/26/2010

Oh dear. And if their business fails as the result of the inevitable boycott, will they claim to be victims of "teh ebil gay agenda"?

by Anonymousreply 7909/26/2010

If their business fails as the result of the inevitable boycott, OTHERS WILL TAKE NOTICE.

by Anonymousreply 8009/26/2010

R76 is either a freeper troll or a Log Cabin Repug doormat.

by Anonymousreply 8109/26/2010

r2 and others like him is a fascist! this is what is pissing off straight America is this bullying. stop it fags!

by Anonymousreply 8209/26/2010

r81 I agree with this person. Gays are getting a reputation of being radical fuck them! free speech!

by Anonymousreply 8309/26/2010

OMG - gays are getting - dare I say it? - UPPITY!

by Anonymousreply 8409/26/2010

[bold]THEN FUCKING CHRISTIANS NEED TO FUCKING STOP DOING STUPID SHIT LIKE THIS!!![/bold]

by Anonymousreply 8509/26/2010

That owner is soooo fucked.

by Anonymousreply 8609/26/2010

It's not the crazy Christians buying his overpriced designer cupcakes. It's yuppie downtown living liberals. They are going to fuck his little world.

by Anonymousreply 8709/26/2010

These people are Christian whacko's who have had their mind warped by the pentacostal bullshit that they cling to. With that said, did anyone think the owner of the bakery had both gay voice and gay face. Isn't that the way of the homophobic nut cases?

by Anonymousreply 8809/26/2010

R87 or anyone: if you hear about any of the fallout, please keep us posted. I'd like to know how badly his cookie crumbles. / bad pun

A pic of the "Business for Sale" sign would be the icing on the cupcake. / bad pun v2

by Anonymousreply 8909/26/2010

r89, I don't think the businesspeople who shop there are even going to know this occurred, so it will probably be business as usual. I live in Indianapolis and only heard about this story on DL. I think you would need protests on site to make people aware of what happened.

by Anonymousreply 9109/26/2010

Why hasn't Obama spoken out about the cupcake crisis? Does he hate the gays that much?

by Anonymousreply 9209/26/2010

Let them eat cupcake.

by Anonymousreply 9309/26/2010

Open up a competing bakery. One that is better.

by Anonymousreply 9409/26/2010

KEEP THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF MY BAKED GOODS!!!

by Anonymousreply 9509/26/2010

First they came for the cupcakes, and I did not speak, because I was not a cupcake...

by Anonymousreply 9609/26/2010

"The people in Indiana...dumb as stumps."

Some of them yes, but we have to give the rest of them credit for voting for a Democratic President in 2008 for the first time in 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 9709/26/2010

That # just rings and rings.

by Anonymousreply 9809/26/2010

[quote]Order the cupcakes and shut uo already.

You fill out a form when making large orders at most bakeries, and they ask what the event is, for contact info, etc. No bakery is going to make a huge order without confirming that the order is in fact needed. It's not about oversharing, it's about how orders are placed for most businesses.

I'm not really sure why you just had to judge the student group for telling the bakery what the cupcakes were for, R15 et al. Why go to the trouble of posting multiple times about this when your "point" is tangential at best?

by Anonymousreply 9909/26/2010

They most likely had paperwork that got the student group reimbursed from the Univ that had their name on it.

by Anonymousreply 10009/26/2010

Two things are worth repeating:

(1) His "young impressionable daughters" are 17 and 20!

AND

(2) he has gayvoice galore. Closet-case freaking out.

by Anonymousreply 10109/26/2010

Yeah the father kind of pings, although I would need more information before reaching any conclusions

by Anonymousreply 10209/26/2010

I see where they are coming from. I mean, if their "young impressionable daughters" happened to see those pretty multi-colored pastries in the shop, they would most certainly become lesbians! I remember one time I saw a picture of a wedding cake with a bride and groom on top, and suddenly I had the uncontrollable urge to be in a hetero relationship! We must protect the sanctity of pastry at all costs!

by Anonymousreply 10309/26/2010

If the Civil Righs Act started with Rosa Parks on a city bus, it is only fitting that gay civil rights should start with rainbow colored cupcakes.

by Anonymousreply 10409/26/2010

STOP THE CUPCAKE MADNESS!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10509/26/2010

Now THIS looks difficult.

by Anonymousreply 10609/26/2010

[quote]Now THIS looks difficult.

It's not. Every color is a separate cake. You just bake them, slice them into sections and slap them together.

Fuck him. Rainbows are a pretty standard item what with unicorns, leprechauns, Care Bears, and the like. Any good baker can whip out rainbows all day long.

by Anonymousreply 10709/26/2010

I hope his business drops by half, and he goes bankrupt.

I really do wish the worst on this guy.

by Anonymousreply 10809/26/2010

I love songs about rainbows.

by Anonymousreply 10909/26/2010

[quote]Sounds like they chose another bakery; problem solved. The bakers who denied them the particular arrangement are fully within their right; yet they don't have a monopoly on the ever growing cupcake market. It's good that this university organization alerted the media of this, but it's also good that they put money into the pockets of another bakery willing to accommodate their desired arrangements.

Precisely. This is how the market works.

by Anonymousreply 11009/26/2010

[quote]It's the owner's bakery and he can has the right to make a decision on what he wants to bake in HIS place of business.

I agree completely.

[quote]Gays need to get over their self entitlement ways, the world is NOT your oyster.

Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 11209/26/2010

^^^^^^ ....Says r80 from the 10 terrible things republicans will do thread, who therein, as r81, defends Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh....

by Anonymousreply 11309/26/2010

F&F for the cunt wipe at R111

by Anonymousreply 11409/26/2010

R111, what the fuck are you doing on this board?

Fuck you. Seriously.

Discrimination against gay people is not okay. Period.

Businesses don't have a right to refuse service to black people, and they should not have a right to refuse service to gay people.

Every gay person, friend or family member of a gay person, should protest and boycott this business. The fucker deserves to go out of business.

by Anonymousreply 11509/26/2010

[quote]Shame the bakery took that stand, but really ..... can't people just say 'I want to order four dozen rainbow cupcakes' ? Does it have to be 'I'd like to order 4 dozen rainbow cupcakes and need them by October 11 for the campus Coming Out/Gay Pride event ?'

Perhaps the store clerk said "Gee OK, say what's the occasion?" Ya Dick.

by Anonymousreply 11609/26/2010

R113, either you're blind or troll-dar is broken or unreliable, because I assure you as author of R80 of the 10 terrible things thread, did not post R81 in this thread (and did not and will not ever, defend Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh).

by Anonymousreply 11709/26/2010

When will there be a White House Cupcake Summit?

by Anonymousreply 11809/26/2010

I don't see why there's an "ALERT THE MEDIA" bs thing about this. That bakery didn't want to do it and THEY WENT to another bakery! Problem solved! All that will happen is that the bakery in question WILL get a lot of support from people who support their decision!

Think people!

by Anonymousreply 11909/26/2010

I wasn't clear enough, 117. Sorry.

r111 on THIS thread is also r81 on that thread and is trying to defend rightwing freaks like Limbaugh and Beck.

by Anonymousreply 12009/26/2010

So, R119, you think that anti-gay bigotry should be able to be gotten away with, just slipping under the radar. Right?

Don't be an idiot.

Have you no principles at all?

by Anonymousreply 12109/26/2010

You are right R111, the bakery does have a right not to make cupcakes that they fins offensive.

But it is MY RIGHT to let people know that they are homophobic idiots so that each person can decide for themselves if they want to patronise these right wing nuts.

by Anonymousreply 12209/26/2010

How the fuck are rainbow cupcakes offensive?

by Anonymousreply 12309/26/2010

A couple years ago I went to a local packing/shipping store to mail a package. It was a new locally owned business which I wanted to support. In their front window was a campaign poster for a right wing anti-gay marriage candidate for congress. I went in and told them why I would never do business with them. A year later they were closed. And their candidate lost, too. It is counter-intuitive to broadcast your bigotry and think you will grow your business that way.

by Anonymousreply 12409/26/2010

The bakery is located close to a number of major law firms, banks, hotels, a huge shopping center and Simon Realty Group (which owns practically every shopping mall in America). Not places known for their rampant homophobia. The Indianapolis Central Market is yuppie central. I can't see this as being a boon to their business.

HOWEVER: they are located just a couple of blocks east of the Indiana State House. The Indiana legislature probably has the highest concentration of homophobes per square foot in all of downtown Indy.

by Anonymousreply 12509/26/2010

Why they are JUST the same as slurs or pornographic images, 124.

God Bless You.

by Anonymousreply 12609/26/2010

First they came for the cupcakes, and I did not speak up because I don't like icing and dry cake...

by Anonymousreply 12709/26/2010

Good for you, R124. Seriously, this is precisely how we should handle these things: tell the vendors why you won't do business with them and that you will tell other people to take their business elsewhere. That'll make 'em think twice.

"It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest." Adam Smith

by Anonymousreply 12809/26/2010

They need to change their name to "Unjust Cookies".

by Anonymousreply 12909/26/2010

The backlash has started!

by Anonymousreply 13009/26/2010

W&W for R129.

by Anonymousreply 13109/26/2010

LOL

by Anonymousreply 13209/26/2010

Love it, R130. Thanks for the post.

by Anonymousreply 13309/26/2010

Now the owners are getting nailed on the local news (a Fox affiliate at that!).

Watch to see the store, the owners, City Market and the students who placed the order (who look like normal, everyday Hoosiers, btw).

This sort of backlash MUST BE REPEATED across the nation. The message has to go out: fuck with us and you'll be sorry.

by Anonymousreply 13409/26/2010

Get a load of this customer's comment on that message board:

"Bought 6 cupcakes from this place. One of the employees (female) check me out. Without any gloves on, this employee scratched her %*^%&%$ (yes, Vagina) and then handled my cup cakes as if nothing happened. I was so grossed out, but did not want to embarrassed to ask her to wash her hand. I threw the cup cakes out and WILL NEVER BUY MY BAKERIES GOOD EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!"

YECH!

by Anonymousreply 13509/26/2010

Awesome, R130! Thanks for posting that!

How are they faring on Yelp!?

by Anonymousreply 13609/26/2010

That's hilarious, R132.

by Anonymousreply 13709/26/2010

Well, 136. A Shawn G. from Toledo Ohio has this to say on Yelp (but most of the other reviews are pro-gay):

Hey, guess what, I've never been to this bakery either, but I'm going to go ahead and review this place anyway because some idiot told me to in a blog post! Maybe I'll be really clever and pretend like I'm actually rating the food and not trying to make a political statement instead!!!

Seriously though, props to the bakery for exercising their right to refuse service for any reason that they want. It amazes me how people think that they have the right to force a business to accommodate their choice of lifestyle. If you don't like it, move on.

Yelp, please feel free to delete this review once you've cleaned up all of the other fake reviews on this page.

by Anonymousreply 13809/26/2010

"choice of lifestyle"... ugh. That idiot needs to be smacked. Hard.

by Anonymousreply 13909/26/2010

Forgot the link:

by Anonymousreply 14009/26/2010

hate

by Anonymousreply 14109/26/2010

r50, you are scary!

by Anonymousreply 14209/26/2010

A right to refuse service isn't what some of you idiot libertarians think it is. You CANNOT refuse service based on a customer's "race, color, religion, or national origin." It's not about "how the market works" you fuckwits.

Tell me, gay conservatives who are defending this, why do you think it's okay for the bakery to refuse service based on sexuality when they can't refuse, say, some student Latino group?

by Anonymousreply 14309/26/2010

Why is R50 scary?

by Anonymousreply 14409/26/2010

[quote]they still pick and choose their costumers

Where did you get that info R44? I didn't realize they wanted costumes along with the cupcakes.

by Anonymousreply 14509/26/2010

How is posting bogus and outright libelous reviews helping our cause again?

by Anonymousreply 14609/26/2010

"I'm sympathetic to the Libertarians in this thread who advocate letting store owners sell their goods to whomever they want, and suffer the benefit or harm that may come from such a decision."

So, I guess you would also support denying of service based on color, religion, veteran status, etc. Right?

BTW, after a quick scan of this thread, I see no mention that the state of Indiana has no laws protecting LGBT in public accommodations.

How many forget that laws STILL fail to give us basic protection from discrimination in many states?

by Anonymousreply 14709/26/2010

Their cupcakes are made from a box cake mix.

by Anonymousreply 14809/26/2010

[quote]How is posting bogus and outright libelous reviews helping our cause again?

Enough, Drama Queen. It's called: PAYBACK!

It's merely a fraction of the nastiness that had been heaped upon gays by those hate-mongering homophobes.

Once more, with feeling, it's [bold]PAYBACK![/bold]

by Anonymousreply 14909/26/2010

[quote] they still pick and choose their costumers

Am I supposed to comment on this?

by Anonymousreply 15009/26/2010

Just make them at home boys. They taste better too.

by Anonymousreply 15109/26/2010

Two wrongs don't make a right. :(

by Anonymousreply 15209/26/2010

[quote]BTW, after a quick scan of this thread, I see no mention that the state of Indiana has no laws protecting LGBT in public accommodations.

I was trying to hint at that at R143, actually, but no one is interested anymore. Interest in this died quickly, kind of like how last week's outrage over someone in a senator's office saying "all faggots must die" died out as soon as the weekend hit.

by Anonymousreply 15309/26/2010

[quote]Two wrongs don't make a right

Exactly! But they deserve to find out what it's like to be hated. They're hate-mongers so they need to have a first-hand experience on the receiving end. It may not make it "right" but it opens them to an all new learning experience. That's a plus, so let's keep teaching them.

by Anonymousreply 15409/26/2010

[quote]How is posting bogus and outright libelous reviews helping our cause again?

In what possible way are any of those reviews (I've read them all) "Libelous"?

They're rather factual, actually.

Remember, freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences. This business guy opened his mouth, and now his customers and potential customers are responding. Exactly as they should, imho.

Because anyone who is a big enough ignorant bigot to officially (in the name of the business) go off on a rant and refuse service to a specific minority, deserves to lose the business and earn the contempt of every thinking, feeling, sane, and rational human being there is.

I have zero sympathy for this asshole.

by Anonymousreply 15509/26/2010

I'm totally against the discrimination, but the students may have been better off without cupcakes. We know what gay plus cupcakes leads to:

by Anonymousreply 15609/26/2010

gays are racist

by Anonymousreply 15709/27/2010

Your opinion has been noted, Kanye.

by Anonymousreply 15809/27/2010

What if (one of) his daughters turned out to be gay?

by Anonymousreply 15909/27/2010

Your cupcakes are dry and tasteless.

My cupcakes are moist and delicious.

by Anonymousreply 16009/27/2010

Oh, shut up, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 16109/27/2010

Why the fuck is anyone on this board defending this homophobic bigot?

by Anonymousreply 16209/27/2010

What do their reviews on Yelp look like? Can someone post a link?

by Anonymousreply 16309/27/2010

Scroll up to 140, 163.

by Anonymousreply 16409/27/2010

I don't understand why, on this board, we don't call them cupcaks(?)

by Anonymousreply 16509/27/2010

Here's the City Market's facebook page:

by Anonymousreply 16609/27/2010

This is hardly worth getting ypur panties in a twist for.

If they don't want to make rainbow cupcakes, they have every right not to. If I were a bakery, and I was asked to make some 'tard Glenn Beck or Tea Party cupcakes, I'd refuse.

by Anonymousreply 16709/27/2010

The bad reviews could result in people staying away from that bakery.

I was standing in line to get into the auto show in NYC one year and a new model Chevrolet kept going around and around the block. On each side were painted huge lemons with the words "I bought a lemon at Flatbush Chevrolet." That was decades ago but I've always figured Flatbush Chevrolet must have had lousy customer service so I'd never go there. Google doesn't turn up a listing for that car dealer.

by Anonymousreply 16809/27/2010

r167.

False equivalency.

by Anonymousreply 16909/27/2010

I wonder how business will be for them this morning?

by Anonymousreply 17009/27/2010

R169, I would not agree. The bakery is a private enterprise. It has every right to refuse to do something that offends the owners. If you own a print shop and are asked to print up posters for a Beck fundie rally, you have every right to refuse as well.

by Anonymousreply 17109/27/2010

False equivalency again.

by Anonymousreply 17209/27/2010

R169 It's not that they won't make rainbow cupcakes, it is the statement they make to the general public in their refusal due to "Family Moral Values." It's like they are telling the buying public in Indianopolis that "Being LGBT is IMMORAL." We all know that this is an utter BULLSHIT stereotype and the owners of this bakery are promoting it.

by Anonymousreply 17309/27/2010

[quote]you have every right to refuse as well.

People at DL sure can create a lot of rights that don't exist.

by Anonymousreply 17409/27/2010

Okay, R171, let's take your logic to another privately run, retail business such as a small contractor/home builder. Say for example you and your male partner drive into a subdevelopment and see a lot you want to buy for a new home. The Builder's Agent sees you drive up and he notices that your car has an HRC sticker on the rear windshield. During the sales process, the builder asks if you two will be living in the home. You state that the home is for both of you. He then assumes that you are...GOD FORBID...FUCKING FAGGOTS! The salesman tells you that the development is for CHRISTIAN Families...HETEROSEXUAL ones and gay people aren't welcomed in this subdivision. Same thing, HON. Only difference is that there are U.S. Federal Laws that kick in (Sun City a few years ago got into hot water for advertising one of their Texas Communities as "Over 55." That is illegal. Doesn't matter if it's Cupcakes or Homes...BIGOTRY IS BIGOTRY and if you are in a retail business...you must serve ALL OF YOUR CUSTOMERS or go out of business.

by Anonymousreply 17509/27/2010

Major corporations and law firms have diversity policies BECAUSE IT IS GOOD BUSINESS.

Gays can't put their trust in the legislative process in order to secure their rights. We can't rely on Democrats or Republicans.

Only by using are rather significant economic power (we have huge discretionary income in relation to other groups) can we hope to achieve equal rights.

That's why it is crucial that places like JUST COOKIES feel the full extent of our economic rath and be run out of business.

by Anonymousreply 17609/27/2010

I agree that a developer should not have a right to refuse to sell property to a gay couple R175, but don't you think the developer has a right to, say, refuse to build a S&M dungeon?

by Anonymousreply 17709/27/2010

R169: "The bakery is a private enterprise. It has every right to refuse to do something that offends the owners. If you own a print shop and are asked to print up posters for a Beck fundie rally, you have every right to refuse as well."

What an idiot. You clearly have absolutely no understanding of public accommodations laws.

If you do business WITH THE PUBLIC, then you fall under those laws.

Need more explanation?

by Anonymousreply 17809/27/2010

Of course, as I noted earlier, Indiana has a paucity of those laws that are inclusionary.

Clearly, R177 doesn't quite get it either.

by Anonymousreply 17909/27/2010

"Only by using [bold]are[/bold] rather significant economic power"

This is a triple "Oh, dear!" This is the third time today that someone has posted something similar. Please learn the difference between "are" and "our." Damn, that's second grade English. WTF!

by Anonymousreply 18009/27/2010

As a private business, I think they should be allowed to discriminate.

I think everyone else has the right to run them out of town.

by Anonymousreply 18109/27/2010

"That's why it is crucial that places like JUST COOKIES feel the full extent of our economic rath ..."

WRATH, not rath.

by Anonymousreply 18209/27/2010

I agree with R181 completely.

We have the right to associate and do business with anyone with want to and we have the right to refuse to do business with anyone we don't want to. The government doesn't always recognize those rights, which is a pity. Remember, it's not the government that grants or determines our rights. We have rights merely by being human. New rights are being "discovered" or uncovered all the time as society changes. That's why Edmund Burke and Thomas Jefferson never specified exactly what rights we have. They knew rights were open-ended.

Yes, I hold that a real estate developer can refuse to sell a plot to a gay couple if he intends his development for idiotic fundies. It's his property and his business. Whether or not the government acknowledges that right is something else.

If I ran a print shop and some fundies came in and asked me to print up brochures that said all gays are going to hell for their sins, do you think I should be obligated to do that? How is that different from this bakery? And please don't say "false equivalency" and run off. Explain what you mean.

by Anonymousreply 18309/27/2010

False Equivalency!!

by Anonymousreply 18409/27/2010

dfg

by Anonymousreply 18509/27/2010

"Damn, that's second grade English. WTF!"

Well, some of us post very quickly while we ARE working at OUR jobs and generating the discretionary income with which we can use OUR economic WRATH to advance gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 18609/27/2010

In your hypothetical print shop yes you would. Your business is a public accommodation and cannot discriminate. Why not? It's all about economics. If you can discriminate, then their money is not as good as yours and then the dollar has no value anymore. Legal tender is legal tender. You have to accept it and you can't charge one group more than another for the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 18809/27/2010

Non-discrimination, it turns out, is the main reason why capitalism builds wealth. Without it, we are really in a kind of barter economy.

by Anonymousreply 18909/27/2010

It's good that the City Market stated, "Misty, City Market does not share the views of its individual stand owners. Inasmuch as this may not necessarily be a "legal" issue, we are working with the city's legal department as there absolutely is an ordinance of non-discrimination. This incident is both unfortunate and regrettable, especially when other small businesses in the City Market suffer for the actions of one."

by Anonymousreply 19009/27/2010

[quote]we have the right to refuse to do business with anyone we don't want to

For fuck's sake, this is not true. A place of public accommodation in the U.S. is bound to follow the 1964 Civil Rights Act. While the 1964 act does not include sexuality in its list, many states and municipalities do prohibit discrimination against GLBT patrons based on their sexuality.

We already covered the fact that Just Cookies' city does not prohibit discriminating against gays. That does not mean they have any kind of moral or ethical right to refuse to do business with gays because they think being gay is "profane".

Further, even if the Federal Government or state/local government do not specifically list GLBT on the inclusion list, a court may still find a business that discriminates against gays in violation of anti-discrimination laws.

In short, you and every other libertarian fucktard on this thread can take your homophobic pseudo logic and fuck the hell off.

by Anonymousreply 19109/27/2010

Lovin' 191!

by Anonymousreply 19209/27/2010

Ok I am boycotting! I refuse to buy any cupcakes in Indianapolis for at least two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 19309/27/2010

Update from local Fox news:

by Anonymousreply 19409/27/2010

We need someone with a gigantic cupcake account to make a big show of placing their order with a competitor. Does anyone know how to contact Kirstie Alley?

by Anonymousreply 19509/27/2010

This may or may not backlash against the bakery, but if it becomes a NATIONAL issue, then guess what will happen on November 2, 2010?

I told you before, fucking think. If this guy loses his business to the gay agenda...this will affect MANY elections.

Barbara Boxer & Carly Fiorina for instance - IN CALIFORNIA, HOME OF PROP 8

Boxer is currently up but just think if this catches fire? All those people who voted YES on Prop 8 will for SURE vote for Fiorina.

by Anonymousreply 19609/27/2010

[quote]If I ran a print shop and some fundies came in and asked me to print up brochures that said all gays are going to hell for their sins, do you think I should be obligated to do that? How is that different from this bakery?

Okay, moron, here goes. Short and not so sweet: A rainbow cupcake doesn't broadcast any hate speech. It's just a rainbow cupcake. The only reason the bakery wouldn't make it in that case was because the customers were gay, not because there was anything about a rainbow cupcake, in and of itself, that sent some sort of message.

Dumbshit.

by Anonymousreply 19709/27/2010

Isn't this similar to the time when a Wal-Mart bakery refused to put the name "Adolf" on a kid's birthday cake?

I can't remember the conclusion to that controversy.

by Anonymousreply 19809/27/2010

[quote]Boxer is currently up but just think if this catches fire? All those people who voted YES on Prop 8 will for SURE vote for Fiorina.

What the fuck cow college did you attend? This is the most specious reasoning I've ever seen. Those people are ALREADY GOING TO VOTE FOR FIORINA, MORON.

by Anonymousreply 19909/27/2010

I'm surprised Maggie Gallagher, the white Al Sharpton isn't there defending them.

by Anonymousreply 20009/27/2010

Again, nobody should force you to do decor that you don't want to do. The bakery never said they would not supply cupcakes to the group or for the event. They would not supply cupcakes with that particular decor. If members of the Westboro Baptist Church walked into my bakery, I certainly would not deny them services. What I will not do is supply them with specialty made cakes or cupcakes with "Die Fags" on all of them. I'm not going to supply cakes for the Focus on the Family conversion camp (Love Won Out) with decor saying "You Don't Have To Be Gay". I don't endorse any of these groups, but they are welcome to my bakery anytime! Whether we agree with them or not, everybody should stand on their principles. That may forgo money or potential negative media attention.

by Anonymousreply 20109/27/2010

If the Westboro Baptist Church walked into my bakery and ordered "Die, Fags!" cupcakes, I would take their order enthusiastically, and congratulate them for being so open-minded that they would patronize a gay bakery. Then I'd beg them to pose for a photograph to use on a giant banner to hang in my front window proclaiming "Westboro Baptist Church supports Gay Businesses!!" right next to the portrait of my Blatino husbear and I posing in bondage gear atop a blood-drenched Satanic altar. I would inquire if Reverend Phelps himself would be willing to appear in a multimedia ad campaign with the two of us in bed and me shouting, "Fred Phelps loves to eat my goodies!!" Then I'd put my hands on my hips and ask one of the guys in a lecherous tone how often he worked out.

by Anonymousreply 20209/27/2010

The problem with all of these arguments about not selling cupcakes to the KKK or the Tea Party or Westboro Baptist Church, etc., is that you're equating the offense the KKK would engender in you or me with the offense that rainbow cupcakes engendered in these bakery owners. The false equivalency another poster keeps referring to is exactly this. You're arguing that gay people are not entitled to any more respect than the KKK and that a person's negative reaction to a gay student group deserves the same consideration as another person's negative reaction to the KKK. It doesn't. Substitute "black student group" for "gay student group" or a star of David for a rainbow and you'll see the flaw in your logic. Civilized society does not need to offer any deference to any business owner who chooses not to produce products for black people, Jewish people or gay people. Those are reasonable equivalents. The KKK and gay people are false equivalents.

by Anonymousreply 20309/27/2010

I like R202's style! You go, grrrl.

by Anonymousreply 20409/27/2010

[quote]A rainbow cupcake doesn't broadcast any hate speech. It's just a rainbow cupcake.

Thank you! These comparisons of rainbow cupcakes with cupcakes bearing an obscene phrase or pornographic illustration are ridiculous. Christ, it's a fucking rainbow!

by Anonymousreply 20509/27/2010

That's what the bakery will claim of course, that making a rainbow cupcake offends their religion, but this is a non-starter. The rainbow is not offensive to any religion.

by Anonymousreply 20609/27/2010

Cupcakes??? Indiana gays are so last decade.

by Anonymousreply 20709/27/2010

White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, Gay, Bi, Straight, Swinger, it doesn't matter what group. Nobody can outright tell this bakery what kind of decor they will and will not offer. Just like we're not going to TELL Target what political campaign they can and can not donate to. In response, some of us will simply not shop at Target. As I said, whatever group scenario might not bring favorable attention to the bakery, but they are not required to do whatever decorations everybody wants. This bakery obviously felt that their verbalized "moral value" principle would outweigh any possible drawbacks, so they said what they said and will have to live with whatever the outcome. They could have just refused and not given a reason or just outright lie, but their "moral value" principle would be the same even if it was never verbalized to the student group.

by Anonymousreply 20809/27/2010

If the bakery refused to make ceremonies for a Mormon sealing ceremony, they'd be sued faster than you can say, "Bob's your uncle." Same thing.

by Anonymousreply 20909/27/2010

[quote]A rainbow cupcake doesn't broadcast any hate speech. It's just a rainbow cupcake. The only reason the bakery wouldn't make it in that case was because the customers were gay, not because there was anything about a rainbow cupcake, in and of itself, that sent some sort of message.

A message that gays are going to hell for their sins is not hate speech either.

by Anonymousreply 21009/28/2010

What if I were filthy rich and wanted to build a gay-only apartment building, by the logic of some of you, I would be forced to rent to members of the Westboro Baptist Church if they decided to move in. True?

by Anonymousreply 21109/28/2010

"...I would be forced to rent to members of the Westboro Baptist Church if they decided to move in. True?"

No. You could refuse them on the basis of them creating a nuisance (and maybe violence).

You CANNOT discriminate and keep them out, tho, because of their religious beliefs, color of their skin, veteran status, marital status, etc. And, thankfully, in some states and cities because of whom they sleep with.

Courts or a human rights commission, which is established with most of these laws, would determine whether you were violating the law.

Get it?

by Anonymousreply 21209/28/2010

"A message that gays are going to hell for their sins is not hate speech either."

Say WHAT?!

by Anonymousreply 21309/28/2010

p[

by Anonymousreply 21409/28/2010

[quote]What if I were filthy rich and wanted to build a gay-only apartment building, by the logic of some of you, I would be forced to rent to members of the Westboro Baptist Church if they decided to move in. True?

Yes, fuckwit. There are laws, both state and federal, that prohibit discrimination based on religion. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 21509/28/2010

Leave it to Jesus' General to put it all in perspective.

Damnations's Cupcakes David Stockton Just Cookies Indianapolis City Market

Dear Mr. Stockton,

Cpl Cletis presented your story during the show and tell portion of our monthly militia meeting last night. The men really liked it. We all agreed that it was a heroic act to deny rainbow cupcakes to homosexualists.

Lord knows what kind of depraved pokey-pokey-sit-and-spin games they would have played with them. I can almost picture rainbow crumbs and frosting exploding from between their thighs like some magnificent multi-hued volcanic eruption somewhere deep in that land where the Care Bears live. Tongues, wicked searching tongues would follow, seeking the sweet rainbow goo splattered across all that hairy flesh, and no doubt, topping a few man-thingy helmets like colorful plumes of tasty Grecian iniquity.

Oh, God, Ohhh, Ohhh, Ohhh. Yeah.

Uh, um, yes. Wicked, wicked, wicked, worldly cupcake games.

You prevented that from happening, and the men wanted to do something to honor your courage.

Our annual Fall Old Time Revival and Survival Preparedness Expo is coming up next month, We'd be honored if you'd accept our invitation to serve as our human oatmeal cookie this year. It's a thing we do to celebrate the Lord's blessings at harvest time.

What we'd do is strip you down, rub honey all over your body, roll you in oats and raisins, and release a dozen squirrels to feast upon your treats.

It's perfectly safe. A couple of us will be armed with spatulas to defend your secret parts from any squirrel who gets a little too greedy. We really like that part--it serves as a metaphor for chastity. Ok, sometimes we may miss a potential acorn thief and paddle a little soldier instead, but then that's really just a more concrete form of promoting chastity, isn't it?

Please let us know when you're available during the first week of November, so we can schedule it.

Heterosexually yours,

Gen. JC Christian, patriot

by Anonymousreply 21609/28/2010

Death to people who want to be free to discriminate. First of all, you are already prohibited from discriminating by law. Second, only gays have not historically had the right to claim discrimination. Third, in trying to protect the discriminators in this case by arguing the laws should be overturned, which is not something you have ever campaigned to do, you reveal yourself to be ignorant antigay homophobes. So R211, we have read your beads.

by Anonymousreply 21709/28/2010

No one here is impressed by the Miss Grundy act, R187.

It appears you can spell and punctuate but aren't bright enough to follow the discussion and contribute something relevant, so you have to derail the thread.

by Anonymousreply 21809/28/2010

[quote]First of all, you are already prohibited from discriminating by law.

Bullshit. It all depends on why you're discriminating. The law forbids only a tiny slice of discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 21909/29/2010

[quote]Death to people who want to be free to discriminate. First of all, you are already prohibited from discriminating by law. Second, only gays have not historically had the right to claim discrimination. Third, in trying to protect the discriminators in this case by arguing the laws should be overturned, which is not something you have ever campaigned to do, you reveal yourself to be ignorant antigay homophobes. So [R211], we have read your beads.

What is this queen talking about? Get some therapy, doll.

by Anonymousreply 22009/29/2010

It sounds like some of you are arguing two different things. Some are talking about laws on the books, while others are talking about rights.

A law isn't just simply because it's the law, and, as a previous poster said, rights are simply recognized or not recognized by the government. Governments don't grant or create rights.

So, could I legally deny Westboro Baptist Church members an apartment in my "gay-only" apartment building. The jury is still out in terms of the law. Now, would it be within my RIGHTS to do so? I maintain that, yes, it would be. By the same token, the owners of this bakery have the RIGHT to refuse to do business with anyone. It's their business. It has nothing to do with hate speech and everything to do with ownership of private property. It's my apartment building and their bakery.

by Anonymousreply 22109/29/2010

Sodomites! Order your cupcakes elsewhere!

by Anonymousreply 22209/29/2010

That dude is SO gay.

by Anonymousreply 22309/29/2010

...here.

by Anonymousreply 22410/06/2010

They should place the order again saying that it is for "Noah Day" at Bible School. The cupcakes remind us of the rainbow which is God's Promise not to cause undue flooding again.

by Anonymousreply 22510/06/2010

r226, why not make your own poster that says, "We love taking money from gay people, but our religion forbids us from considering them equal under the law and extending them the same rights and privileges that straight citizens take for granted"? That should clear your stance right up.

by Anonymousreply 22706/06/2011

[quote]The gay proclaimation, and this very aggressive campaingn to identify physically the "gay friendly" stores is going to divide the town, and cause conflict where there was none.

There was no conflict before because people didn't know that you're a bigot.

Now that they do, it's their right to shop or not shop at your store.

You don't support gay marriage? You don't get my hard-earned money.

by Anonymousreply 22806/06/2011

and, more to the point, WHY THE BLOODY FUCK ARE YOU POSTING ON DATALOUNGE, YOU STUPID USELESS CUNT?

by Anonymousreply 22906/07/2011

r226 - John is a closet case looking for hot photos of men. That's how he found DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 23006/07/2011

by Anonymousreply 23106/10/2011

[quote]You don't support gay marriage? You don't get my hard-earned money.%0D %0D Yes and while we're at it, let's make the Jewish shop owners display a yellow Star of David so we can boycott them for circumcising their infant boys.

by Anonymousreply 23206/10/2011

[quote]let's make the Jewish shop owners display a yellow Star of David so we can boycott them for circumcising their infant boys.%0D %0D Heh! Maybe just boycott them for being stupid enough to think God wants their foreskins for a delicious foreskin matzo ball soup. Delish!

by Anonymousreply 23306/10/2011

"In Canada, a business providing a service isn't allowed to select who they'll do business with [unless those requesting the service are doing so for an illegal purpose]. They can be heavily fined and or go to jail."

"Well, the excuse is going to be that they're not denying service, but that they're denying what they want on the product. There's a difference."

There is no difference. Their refusal to provide service was based on homophobic, discriminatory grounds. Their service, I assume, include baking and cake decorating. This would breach discrimination rules in Canada and Europe.

by Anonymousreply 23406/10/2011

This bakery refuses to sell to gays. Get them!

by Anonymousreply 23502/02/2013

Businesses, especially craft businesses, have a right to do whatever they want. I am a chef and had some lesbians ask me to serve up trimmed beef tenderloins butterflied so it would look like a fucking labia. I turned them down, not because they were lesbian but because (1) this is an insult to my trade (2) I don't supply shit cuts of meat and I'm not going to destroy one for novelty and (3) I'd be a fucking laughing stock.

by Anonymousreply 23602/02/2013

What the fuck? The link above is not going to her page. I think she took it down.

Here is a link to the story.

by Anonymousreply 23702/02/2013

I was hoping to hear the bakery went out of business.

by Anonymousreply 23802/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.