Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Got in a fight with new boyfriend last night about room temp....

We've been dating for 6 weeks, and he slept over for the first time last night. This is silly, but I'm curious. I keep my room at 66 degrees when I sleep. Is that really as cold as he says it is?

by Anonymousreply 11912/10/2013

That's pretty cold.

by Anonymousreply 109/23/2010

That's awful. I'd want an electric blanket turned all the way to Hi, if the room were that cold.

by Anonymousreply 209/23/2010

That is ridiculous. My ac is is on 77-78 during the day, 75 at night and it still seems cold to me.

by Anonymousreply 309/23/2010

I hate sleeping in a house that's air conditioned to a temperature like that. But love to sleep when it's cold outside and you keep the furnace off.

by Anonymousreply 409/23/2010

Have him wear socks to bed. I know it sounds weird, but it makes a huge difference. Try it once, and see what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 509/23/2010

Although the idea isn't widely accepted here, everyone's perceptions are different. He is cold; you are not. Neither one of you is in a position to say how the room feels.

by Anonymousreply 609/23/2010

It depends. If you had the air conditioning set to 66 degrees, that's terrible. If you had the heater set to 66 degrees, that's fine (for this time of year).

by Anonymousreply 809/23/2010

I like to sleep in a lower temperature. However, it would be a dealbreaker for me if six weeks into a relationship and on the first sleepover, and this caused a fight.

by Anonymousreply 909/23/2010

I live in Florida and my ac is set at 77, day and nite. I would freeze at 66 and I'm usually the hottest on the house.

by Anonymousreply 1009/23/2010

I love it, and that's how I keep my house as well. We have no A/C, and I won't turn on the heat until it's in the 40s during the day. Of course, everyone who comes over says the house is freezing....

by Anonymousreply 1109/23/2010

What a bunch of FREAKS.

First of all, cold? On what planet? L.A.? (yes, it's another planet.)

OP, most experts say that you should turn the thermostat down at night. Temperatures above 70 are considered uncomfortable for sleeping.

Conventional wisdow is that it should be set into the mid to high 60s, and energy advocates now say it should be set into the fifties.

by Anonymousreply 1209/23/2010

R12, that's the recommendation for winter. It depends on the season. From your link:

[quote]For summer operation, set the temperature to 78 degrees when you're home and at 85 degrees or higher when the house is unoccupied. In the summer season, you might need to program your thermostat to cool only for one period of the day, such as the late afternoon and evening hours, when the family returns home.

by Anonymousreply 1309/23/2010

Of course that's supposed to be "wisdom." Without an unconventional typo.

I still can't believe people think 66 is cold.

by Anonymousreply 1409/23/2010

That's 18C which is about what I'd heat my house to in the winter in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 1509/23/2010

OP Queen has severe issues.

Get a blog.

by Anonymousreply 1609/23/2010

Is anyone else having trouble posting a new thread? I'm a member in good standing but I keep getting a message saying "could not post".

Anyone know what's going on?

Mr. Webmaster, if you're listening, I want to post a new thread.

by Anonymousreply 1709/23/2010

If I left my room at 78 fucking degrees overnight, I would wake up sweating like a fucking pig.

by Anonymousreply 1809/23/2010

OP, why do you have your thermostat set at anything at all at this time of year?

All furnace and all AC should be completely turned off at this time of year.

You do NOT neet the heat turned on and you do not heed the AC turned on.

TURN EVERYTHING OFF.

Americans are so ridiculous with their use of energy - they waste to the endth degree.

by Anonymousreply 1909/23/2010

meant to type:

You do NOT need the heat turned on and you do not need the AC turned on at this time of the year.

by Anonymousreply 2009/23/2010

We keep the A/C on at 78 or 79 when it's hot out. We use a space heater in the shoulder season before the heat comes up. We hate being cold.

by Anonymousreply 2109/23/2010

You're from the South, aren't you?

And how many of "we" are in that alleged studio in NY?

by Anonymousreply 2209/23/2010

[quote]All furnace and all AC should be completely turned off at this time of year.

It's 87 here this afternoon. Where I used to live, the predicted low for tonight is 38. DL usage may be down from previous years, but not everyone lives on your block, numbnuts.

by Anonymousreply 2309/23/2010

Have you who are cold ever heard of wearing thermal shirts, socks, and using blankets if you are so friggin cold and prissy?

I hate people who waste energy all the time.

No furnace and no AC needs to be turned on at this time of year.

by Anonymousreply 2409/23/2010

R21, there are 2 of us, and I'm from the mountains of PA. I have had more than enough of the cold. My partner is from VA, so you're half right about the South bit.

by Anonymousreply 2509/23/2010

R24, do you own a car? Do you live in a sizeable house or apartment? Do you travel by plane frequently?

I can answer "none of the above", so I am fine with my energy use.

by Anonymousreply 2609/23/2010

Open the window OP. 66 is not cold.

by Anonymousreply 2709/23/2010

Then something's not right, R26. That is not good sleeping temperature.

Medical professionals and sleep experts CONSISTENTLY recommend that anything above 70 is not good for sleep. The recommended room temperature is 60 to 70 at the highest, usually below 70.

Links to follow ... 60 to 68 first from the NYT.

by Anonymousreply 2809/23/2010

Here's one saying 60 to 70, with the majority of medical professionals saying 60 to 65

by Anonymousreply 2909/23/2010

From the midwest... Kansas State... recommending 60 or so

by Anonymousreply 3009/23/2010

R26,

I do not own a car and have never owned a car.

I live in a very small studio apartment.

I rarely travel by plane - the last time was 3 or 4 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3109/23/2010

Arizona, surveying studies ... again 60 to 68

by Anonymousreply 3209/23/2010

R24/31, I guess the lack of travel explains why you think the temperature is the same everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 3309/23/2010

I turn my AC down to 68 at night during the summer and use a light blanket. In the winter, I set my heat at 60 for the night and sleep under a heavy blanket.

I hate waking up sweating.

by Anonymousreply 3409/23/2010

Why do you immediately think you have to turn on heat the minute there is a chill in the air?

Just wear proper clothing during the day and during the night. And use blankets and a down comforter.

Buy thermal shirts from LLBean.com or eddiebauer.com and wear it to bed. Buy gray wool socks.

Americans are completely idiotic in their wastefulness of energy.

by Anonymousreply 3509/23/2010

I'm going to go home and turn my heater on just for you R35.

by Anonymousreply 3609/23/2010

I sleep better when it's very cold in my room. If your boyfriend is complaining tell him to go home.

by Anonymousreply 3709/23/2010

R33, I do not think the temp is the same everywhere!

And I have traveled extensively thruout my life.

I am responding to the OP, and to everywhere in the U.S. right now.

by Anonymousreply 3809/23/2010

It's 90 degrees at 9PM where I live in the Deep South these days. The humidity is unbearable this week and worse at night.

You are DAFT if you think I'm not using my AC while I sleep, Simple Tool @ 38.

75 degrees with a ceiling fan and a sheet and I sleep fine.

In winter, no heat at all night, just blankets.

by Anonymousreply 3909/23/2010

"I live in Florida and my ac is set at 77, day and nite. I would freeze at 66 and I'm usually the hottest on the house."

Maybe you're hot because your ac is SET AT 77, YOU FREAK.

by Anonymousreply 4009/23/2010

Yeah, but you seem a little cranky, R39.

Turn it down a little more. Try 68.

With your two cooling systems.

Seriously, I don't envy you with the heat. Hope it passes for you. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 4109/23/2010

r19, it's 90 right now outside. Hell yes my A/C is going to run.

by Anonymousreply 4209/23/2010

My bedroom is on the second floor of my house on the southwest corner and it bakes in the sun all afternoon. And it doesn't help that the master bedroom is three walls of windows and a skylight. I have a window unit in the bedroom and have to have it on most of the night, along with the ceiling fan to be comfortable. The temp is set at 68 on the a/c unit.

It is still pretty hot in Kansas City. I'm looking forward to not having to run the a/c or furnace.

by Anonymousreply 4309/23/2010

If I sleep fine with the AC taking the temperature down to 75 degrees and dehumidifying the air, and a ceiling fan blowing on me for a little breeze in my bedroom, then WHY IN THE WORLD would I want to pay for the extra air conditioning to take the room temperature down to to 66 degrees, R41?

I am not rich and even if I was, I am not an energy hog.

In the summer in the South, most folks put up their blankets and just use a sheet to sleep under, if that.

I bet you use the same bed linens winter and summer.

You must have hellatious electricity bills.

I bet you are brain damaged, too.

by Anonymousreply 4409/23/2010

Love you r36 lol

by Anonymousreply 4509/23/2010

Well, R44, after that little rant and off-the-hook accusations, now I know you're sleep deprived.

I sympathize you with the affordability issues. If that's the reason, it's understandable.

But the science is clear. Read the studies. You sleep better when the temperature is below 70.

So you're probably not sleeping as well as you think, particularly given the instability in your posts.

P.S. I wash my sheets and rotate them, and my brain is fine thanks. Just so you know.

by Anonymousreply 4609/23/2010

R19 Don't assume you live at the same latitude as OP. Where I live, it's still in the 90s during the day, and the mid to upper 70s at night. My air conditioning is still on.

I also like a chilly room to sleep in. I usually set mine at 68 degrees, but I could live with 66.

by Anonymousreply 4709/23/2010

[quote]My bedroom is on the second floor of my house on the southwest corner and it bakes in the sun all afternoon. And it doesn't help that the master bedroom is three walls of windows and a skylight. I have a window unit in the bedroom and have to have it on most of the night, along with the ceiling fan to be comfortable. The temp is set at 68 on the a/c unit.

r43, get some of those light blocking curtains and keep them closed during summer days. It makes a difference in room temperature.

by Anonymousreply 4809/23/2010

It's 93 degrees in freaking Northern Ohio, you better believe that AC is on.

by Anonymousreply 4909/23/2010

Hey asshat at R19 you wrote "All furnace and all AC should be completely turned off at this time of year"

I'm in Las Vegas, it was 102 yesterday. Do you really think I shouldn't have the AC in this heat just because it's September?

OP, 66 is a comfortable temp for you, nothing wrong with that. You friend likes it warmer, again nothing wrong with that. Next time give him an extra blanket and a pair of socks.

by Anonymousreply 5009/23/2010

Yes, R17, I'm having that problem too. The site also seems to keep forgetting when I've entered my subscription number and will ask me to re-enter it after only a few hours.

by Anonymousreply 5109/23/2010

I compromise with my partner and keep our ac and heat on 68 year round, but in hotels alone I have the thermostat on 60 - I seek out hotels that go the extra five degrees down and don't just stop at 65.

by Anonymousreply 5209/23/2010

I don't know if this has been mentioned as I haven't read through all these replies, but you should know OP that the average air conditioning system (or window unit) only has the capability to bring the inside temp down to a maximum of 20 degrees below the outside temperature.

But yes, 66 is WAY too low. I keep my air on 76 at night and I wake up freezing.

by Anonymousreply 5309/23/2010

R52, why would you need your AC and heat on ALL YEAR ROUND and never turning it off?

You are a prime example of wasteful energy use.

UNPLUG from your extreme dependence and wastefulness.

by Anonymousreply 5409/23/2010

Well, there's a rich, know-it-all, dipshit all through this thread telling everyone that they'll be less less cranky and sleep better if they chill their sleeping chamber down to 66-68 degrees.

Must be nice to be rich, wasteful and blase about profligate electricity use.

by Anonymousreply 5509/23/2010

My boyfriend can't sleep when it's cold, I can't sleep when it's hot, he can't stand fans, I love them.

He's a blanket hog, I only need a sheet most of the time.

We live in separate houses and are going on 8 years.

by Anonymousreply 5609/23/2010

Not rich, R55.

I live in the North. I've made less than $35K this year, working for a non-profit.

And let's face it, you are cranky. And a hothead.

Cool down, get some sleep. See the connection?

by Anonymousreply 5709/23/2010

Op, I wish you were my boyfriend. I love the bedroom to be nice and chilly at night. Sadly mine likes to be nice and warm. It's a tough balance.

by Anonymousreply 5809/23/2010

A) OP, your boyfriend is a puss B) Nobody in the U.S. should have their heat or their A/C on because of the transitions of the seasons. C) I like a cool house, therefore I have the A/C on 65. Thank goodness for those sooty coal fired power plants!

by Anonymousreply 5909/23/2010

I've met people like you before.

Please stay up North.

by Anonymousreply 6009/23/2010

P.S. R55, I told you saving energy was a good reason not to lower the temp.

In your hothead rage imagining things about other people, you didn't see that, I guess.

I'm just pointing out the science. And trying to lighten you up.

by Anonymousreply 6109/23/2010

And you stay down South, R60, where you love the heat.

Oh wait, you don't love it.

Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 6209/23/2010

[quote]In the summer in the South, most folks put up their blankets and just use a sheet to sleep under, if that.

No, they don't, unless they are poor as church mice. Most people turn on their A/C, even if they only have a window unit, so they can sleep at night.

And historically southerners have put in A/C as soon as they could afford to buy one.

I once worked for a summer in the federal building in New Orleans. They used to turn the AC off over the weekend while all leaving their computers on and running. The temperatures on upper floors went well over 100 degrees. They couldn't figure out why those computers kept melting down. I kept pointing out that they were melting down because they were LITERALLY melting down, but they just shrugged and bought new ones.

by Anonymousreply 6309/23/2010

I don't like to sleep with the AC or the furnace on. Whatever the temperature is, that's how I sleep. But I sleep best when it's cold.

by Anonymousreply 6409/23/2010

R40, I get hot sometimes at 77, others in the house find 77 to be either just right or even too cold at times. Since I'm not a prick like you, I keep the temp. at what the majority is comfortable with.

by Anonymousreply 6509/23/2010

So, OP, has this helped with your argument with the boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 6609/23/2010

I live in Vegas and I keep the house at 65 at night and 73 during the day. I don't use heat in the winter so I feel it balances it out.

by Anonymousreply 6709/23/2010

I like to fall asleep at 77 and wake up to a warm room. I set an alarm just to get up to turn up the thermostat. I have the tendency to stay mummified in the bed if it's lower than 77, so winter is hard on me sometimes.

More power to you all (literally) who fall asleep in rooms that are below 75 degrees. But I'd rather spend that money on something else.

by Anonymousreply 6809/23/2010

I keep my heater at 90. Seriously; Even in the summer if outside temp drops below 80. Cannot STAND the cold.

by Anonymousreply 6909/23/2010

Nightly temperatures here are 50-60 except during the winter, when they're usually in the 40s.

Other than wintertime, I sleep with the window wide open & no heating or air conditioning -- if there's no breeze for circulation I turn on a fan -- no blankets, sometimes a sheet.

In the winter, the window is open just a crack for fresh air & the bedroom door is closed -- the heater is set to come on at 60 but there's no vent in the bedroom, so it gets chilly there.

I'm surprised to see the medical info at these links, about there being optimum temperatures for healthy sleep. I didn't know that made a difference, but their temperatures are too high for my comfort, & I sleep fine.

by Anonymousreply 7009/23/2010

Your new (hopefully ex) boyfriend is right: 66 degrees is way too cold. I wouldn't be able to sleep if the room was that cold.

by Anonymousreply 7109/23/2010

r44, I do the same.

The person may be right about the temp because with 75 and direct air from the fan on your skin, I think it takes the temp down to around 70.

I can't wait for it to cool off. Forecast says it will be a high of 80 and low of 61 on Sunday.

I would like an elect bill under 100.

by Anonymousreply 7209/23/2010

R71, another freak at the trough.

On no scale, by no scientific or meterological expert is 66 degrees COLD.

On the science, it is the APPROPRIATE sleeping temperature.

If it does mean you wouldn't be OP's boyfriend (or any other sane person's because of it), that's another virtue for sleeping at 66 degrees.

Run the freaks the fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 7309/23/2010

I know it's a bit late to say this, but wouldn't it be great if R12 fell into a ditch?

by Anonymousreply 7409/23/2010

"And historically southerners have put in A/C as soon as they could afford to buy one."

Uh -- "historically" southerners didn't HAVE air conditioning. Unless your idea of history starts somewhere around the middle of the last century.

by Anonymousreply 7509/23/2010

66 is rediculous unless it is winter and you are trying to save energy.

by Anonymousreply 7609/23/2010

r43, adding to r48's post. Do you have tree coverage on that part of the house? It makes a huge difference. Ya can't grow one overnight, but it would be a good investment.

by Anonymousreply 7709/23/2010

I truly honestly believe that the world is really divided into two worlds, not the rich and poor, the white and the black, the male and female, but those who prefer it cold and those who prefer it warm.

I'm always warm, even in the winter and prefer it cold. if a lover doesn't like that then tough.

by Anonymousreply 7809/23/2010

R43, can't you make a downstairs room your bedroom, at least during hot weather? Think outside the hot box.

by Anonymousreply 7909/23/2010

Won't happen, R74.

And why? Because I'm alert. Because I get quality sleep. Because I sleep under 70 degrees. And because my partner, who also likes to sleep at that temp, would never let it happen. Because we are normal.

Next.

by Anonymousreply 8009/23/2010

Does the op get hot flashes? That I could understand.

by Anonymousreply 8209/23/2010

I think that the "alert" Eskimo who has commandeered this thread is unhinged.

It believes you're cranky if you do not sleep in a room below 70 degrees at all times of the year ... and apparently hang the cost.

If Nanook lived down South, no doubt it's behavior would be different in the face of huge electricity bills.

It has posted at 12,14,22,28,30,32,41,46,57,61,62,73,&80.

Who's with me?

by Anonymousreply 8309/23/2010

Well, it's not as if you can store electricity to use the next day. OP isn't exactly wasting electricity, if he didn't use it, it would just dissipate.

by Anonymousreply 8409/23/2010

The point really isn't about the temps, it's that they have been dating six weeks and already had a spat about something trivial.

Not. A. Match.

Best way to avoid bad relationships is not get into them in the first place.

Next- is the salt organic? Is the butter salt free is the body wash unscented .... punch delete.

by Anonymousreply 8509/23/2010

[quote]That's awful. I'd want an electric blanket turned all the way to Hi, if the room were that cold.

I have mine set two notches above Hello, but 1 notch below Aloha!

by Anonymousreply 8609/23/2010

Anything below 75 is Arctic to me.

by Anonymousreply 8709/23/2010

I was staying with someone who set it at 69 every night. I felt like I was being tortured...during the day it was at 73. I was freezing and I hadn't brought a longsleeved shirt, because it was August.

by Anonymousreply 8809/23/2010

[quote]Anything below 75 is Arctic to me.

anything above 68 is warm for me.

by Anonymousreply 8909/23/2010

I like to sleep in a cold room regardless of the time of year. Cold air but warm under the covers.

I can't sleep well without the weight of a blanket or quilt. Are any of you like that, too?

by Anonymousreply 9009/23/2010

Hmmmm, could it be that we all have different internal temps and what one finds comfortable another does not?

by Anonymousreply 9109/23/2010

r90, I am but I am one of the posters above from the south (TX). It just isn't possible in the summer. I sleep with a sheet and an afghan (my gran made- RIP GRAN), temp at 75 and a fan.

I have had a $270 bill the last 3 months and then high for months previous to that... harsh summer here.

I can't wait until we cool off... money-wise and just comfortable. I will pull out my comforter then.

by Anonymousreply 9209/23/2010

OP, please try having my wear socks to bed. He'll be amazed. They'll not just keep his feet warm, but they'll make the rest of him feel warmer too. I don't know why it works, but it does.

by Anonymousreply 9309/23/2010

Oops, please try having [italic]him[/italic] wear socks to bed ...

by Anonymousreply 9409/24/2010

say, Good Night, Gracie.

by Anonymousreply 9509/24/2010

r70 I'm exactly like you. Windows opened all year long and it's not rare in the winter to wake up in a 59ish°F/15°C temperature. Heaters start automatically at 6:00 half an hour later it's warm, no big deal.

Whoever said they wake up "freezing" at 77F/25C must be either joking or crazy. 25C? that's summer temperatures at night when there's a HEATWAVE.

by Anonymousreply 9609/24/2010

Like, OP, I am in a hot-cold relationship. I am so used to my sleeping temp being pretty cold. May parents used to turn the temp down at night in the winter, yet kept the AC on in the summer.

So, I would love to shack up with OP at 66 degrees.

But, my BF likes it much warmer. When it's very hot and humid during the summer, he has no problem with AC around 70. But, more modest warm temps (80s), he won't want the AC on, and in the winter he always wants the heat pretty high.

But, I've indulged him. I think it's MUCH easier for the cold-sleep person to adapt. I just sleep with one sheet on top of me, sometimes my legs out. I know people have a thing about wanting to be buried under covers, but you have to make sacrifices. And, if it's hot enough, you'll find out that you can pretty easily sleep with minimal covers.

by Anonymousreply 9709/24/2010

Do you own just the one towel, OP?

by Anonymousreply 9809/24/2010

R78 is on to something, although I could never be his partner.

by Anonymousreply 9909/24/2010

You're right, R83. I tried the troll-dar. But you missed one: he's also R29.

by Anonymousreply 10009/24/2010

That's not cold! I have live from Florida to chicago and I like my AC on 70 during day and 60-65 at night or I can't sleep

by Anonymousreply 10105/23/2013

I get cold easily but 66 is fine with two people or more in a bed warming each other up and a light blanket.

by Anonymousreply 10205/23/2013

What's an air conditioner?

by Anonymousreply 10305/23/2013

That is not cold at all! I agree with you..Its better for your synus, skin and breathing to sleep at that temperature

by Anonymousreply 10412/09/2013

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 10512/09/2013

Can't believe this has created such an argument. Oh yeah on DL. A comfortable temp is different for everyone. Whatever works for you is correct.

by Anonymousreply 10612/09/2013

[quote]Although the idea isn't widely accepted here, everyone's perceptions are different.

NO! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10712/09/2013

Guess I'm really a freak cuz I turn the temp down to 62 at night.

by Anonymousreply 10812/09/2013

I keep the AC at 73 degrees in Palm Springs during the summer. The heat is set at 68. Tonight it's getting into the 30s.

by Anonymousreply 10912/10/2013

OP, I would have to fucking kill you. Unless your body is a furnace and you have three heavy quilts, then that might be acceptable.

I keep my place at 72, and feel that's cool enough (and have two blankets).

Lower than 68 is insane.

by Anonymousreply 11012/10/2013

White boys love their cold air.

by Anonymousreply 11112/10/2013

OP, why did it take 6 weeks for your bf to sleep over? you do know how to wipe, right?

by Anonymousreply 11212/10/2013

Not everyone is a slut R112

by Anonymousreply 11312/10/2013

I turn the heat off entirely at night in my home. If the guy I'm sleeping with is cold he can just snuggle up more

by Anonymousreply 11412/10/2013

OP, the most important cultivated skill in life is problem resolution.

Its your house, keep the temp as you wish. I, too, sleep with the furnace set at about 65,

There's an easy solution for this pressing problem. Pound him til your heart's content, then as you make the sign of the cross on his forehead and whisper "sweet dreams Mary" give him this

by Anonymousreply 11512/10/2013

The OP posted over two years ago. Which of you morons think he's even still dating that guy?

by Anonymousreply 11612/10/2013

Damn, that's a cold ass cracker

by Anonymousreply 11712/10/2013

Lol, I can relate to OP. I'm the "cold" person, my boyfriend is the "warm/hot person". But, for some reason I see his side of the story. I generally agree with him that the misery from being too too warm indoors isn't as serious as the misery of being too cold.

Maybe it's the years living in Chicago without AC, but as much as I want to be under the covers like anyone else, if it's too hot, I can strip down and sleep under a sheet (feet out the bottom) or no covers at all. No, it's not what I want, but it's much easier for me than it is for him to be chilled to the bone.

And, I know from the few times that I get too cold, too cold is worse and more difficult to deal with than too warm. But, that's just me. 66 doesn't seem crazy cold to me.

by Anonymousreply 11812/10/2013

It's so cooold in the D... How da fuq we suppos'd to keep peace?

by Anonymousreply 11912/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.