Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Eve Arden and Kaye Ballard

I'm watching the DVD of some show they did in the 70s called The Mothers In Law. Kinda funny, but kind of cheesy and over the top in that sticom way.

Were either Arden or Ballard into the homosex? I'm getting a very strong butch vibe from the both of them.

by Anonymousreply 11111/16/2013

I actually remember when that show first aired when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 209/22/2010

If I'm not mistaken, the show was from Desilu Studios and produced by Desi Arnaz. I loved THE MOTHERS IN LAWS and I thought the show definitely had a little of that I LOVE LUCY comedy vibe going on. I'm glad to hear it's out on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 409/23/2010

Eve comes across as uber-dyke but was very hetero. One of the finest comediennes out of H'wood.

by Anonymousreply 609/23/2010

I used to love that show as a kid, plus I always had a crush on Eve Arden and loved her delivery.

by Anonymousreply 709/23/2010

I've asked this before on DL, and this is off-topic but around the time this was on the air there was a tv series about a plane crash and the survivors were teens. They wound up on an abandoned island. Anyone know what show that was?

BTW, I love The Mothers In Law too.

by Anonymousreply 909/23/2010

damn r9/10, I could've answered that for you. With Tiffany Bolling, right?

by Anonymousreply 1109/23/2010

R11, you must have read that at the link. NO ONE remember Tiffany Bolling.

by Anonymousreply 1209/23/2010

Yes, the Mothers-in-Law was a Desilu production and Desi was actively involved in the show. He appears in at least one or two episodes as a bullfighter, and has a cameo in the episode where Arden and Ballard get locked in a store overnight and phone for help. They dial the wrong number and he answers the phone.

I've seen articles that mention Eve Arden was lesbian icon of the fifties and some even hinted that she might have been gay herself...though in reality she was married once or twice and had some (adopted) kids.

by Anonymousreply 1309/23/2010

Eve Arden always brightened every movie she was in. Check her out in "The Dark at the Top of the Stairs" a rare dramatic role. She is quite good--as are Dorothy McGuire (a beautiful, extremely talented, and largely forgotten actress) and Robert Preston, another largely forgotten actor (he was the original Harold Hill in "The Music Man" on stage he was magnetic--you couldn't take your eyes off him.

by Anonymousreply 1509/23/2010

Is Frank Decaro posting here?

by Anonymousreply 1609/23/2010

I thought Kaye's longtime girlfriend was an actress named Myvanwy Jenn?

by Anonymousreply 1709/23/2010

R15, Robert Preston was in The Music Man film as well, too. Pretty sure we haven't forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 1809/23/2010

Myvanwy Jenn does indeed like with Kaye, and is her official "assistant." They are discreet about whatever else the relationship comprises - never heard anything about a three-way with a couple named "H."

by Anonymousreply 1909/23/2010

Au contraire r12. I even remember what she wore: a white turtleneck sweater and (maybe) a sheepskin coat.

by Anonymousreply 2009/23/2010

R15, don't forget her performance in "Mildred Pierce"

by Anonymousreply 2109/23/2010

r15, surprised you didn't mention another DL favorite who also starred in Dark At The Top Of the Stairs, Angela Lansbury.

by Anonymousreply 2209/23/2010

Eve willowy blonde Kaye Rubinesque brunette

Eve poplar Hollywood Golden Age sidekick comedienne extraordinaire Kaye popular big voiced Broadway musical comedienne

Eve Mildred Pierce Kaye Carnival

Eve dead Kaye alive

Eve straight Kaye gay

by Anonymousreply 2309/23/2010

"I have no idea who these canefaces are. Just how old are you people on this sight?"

Old enough, cupcake, to know the difference between "site" and "sight."

by Anonymousreply 2409/23/2010

Just watched the DVD this weekend. the show was hilarious. Of course t should be on Nick @ Night or TVLand but those days are over.

From the DVD extras I learned Ever Arden adopted three kids, one she gave birth to. Kaye Ballard was 38 and her son on the show Jerry Fogel was 30 at the time. The original daughter was fired after the pilot and replaced by Deborah Walley and they shot her scenes again and inserted them into the pilot. The fired daughter went on to be in the original cast 'Of A Chorus Line" and was featured in the "At the Ballet" sequence. They were guaranteed a $250 a week raise if they went a second season and the sponsor said they would renew if there were no raises because the ratings weren't as expected and all agreed including star Arden because they enjoyed it so much, except Roger C. Carmel who quit and was replaced by Richard Deacon. He was blackballed for a while because it all but killed the show.

by Anonymousreply 2509/23/2010

It was very "I love Lucy-esque". Ballard and Arden had great chemistry, but Arden was over the top in a lot of scenes, but it was still a fun show.

R25, Eve Arden adopted her own kid? Can you clarify? Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 2609/23/2010

WHICH At the Ballet Girl? Wouldn't they all have been too young for a role in The Mothers-In-Law? Well, maybe Kelly Bishop?!

by Anonymousreply 2709/23/2010

Eve Arden gave birth to a son, but also adopted other children... Maybe she was closeted her whole life. She had swag for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 2809/23/2010

And Deacon was much better than Carmel.

by Anonymousreply 2909/23/2010

Fact: Kaye Ballard was the first person to record "Fly Me to the Moon" (under the title "In Other Words").

by Anonymousreply 3009/23/2010

"I'm suprised you know how to use a computer."

r24, you beat me to it. Also, the bitch at r5 can't spell 'surprised', either.

by Anonymousreply 3109/23/2010

[quote] I actually remember when that show first aired when I was a kid.

So do I. I loved it.

But Kaye Ballard married to Roger C. Carmel?

Could it GET any gayer?

by Anonymousreply 3209/23/2010

Kaye does commercials on Palm Springs television for a local hearing aid store. Sad really.

by Anonymousreply 3309/23/2010

Connie acted like she wanted Mr. Boynton, but I always had my doubts.

by Anonymousreply 3409/23/2010

Promos from the DVD extras

by Anonymousreply 3509/23/2010

Did anyone have the (dis)pleasure of seeing Eve Arden in "Moose Murders".

by Anonymousreply 3609/23/2010

It's from the 60s not 70s, OP. There was a series on NBC, "45 Bristol Court" which had 3 different sitcoms set at the same apt. complex in L.A. Deborah Walley or was it Watson starred as teen "Karen."

by Anonymousreply 3809/23/2010

My partner knew Kaye Ballard and her family very well. She was just a normal Jewish mom who happened to be on TV (like Florence Henderson). My partner was close friends with John, Kaye's son. He doesn't think she was a lesbian or involved in any bizarre kinky three way marriages.

by Anonymousreply 3909/23/2010

Florence Henderson is Jewish?

I thought Ballard lived with Polly Bergen.

by Anonymousreply 4009/23/2010

Not every women with a deep voice prefers vagine to peen.

by Anonymousreply 4109/23/2010

I wondered aloud to a friend of Kaye Ballard why she works all the time at anything still. He said "She has to work....Kaye shops."

by Anonymousreply 4209/23/2010

R40- Florence Henderson was raised Catholic. She was married to Bob Bernstein who I believe was Jewish. She might have converted.

by Anonymousreply 4309/23/2010

r38, you're half right, literally. It was "90 Bristol Court," on Monday nights, but "The Mothers-in-Law" was not one of the segments. "Harris Against the World" and "Tom, Dick and Mary" were the other two besides "Karen" (with Debbie Watson).

Only "Karen" lasted a full season. "The Mothers-in-Law" debuted in 1967, two years after "Bristol Court" died.

by Anonymousreply 4409/23/2010

These characters are all well worth revisiting. It would be divine to see how things worked out for all of them forty years on.

by Anonymousreply 4509/23/2010

Sad about Deborah Walley, R37. I had no idea. Cute girl.

by Anonymousreply 4609/23/2010

[quote]My partner knew Kaye Ballard and her family very well. She was just a normal Jewish mom who happened to be on TV (like Florence Henderson). My partner was close friends with John, Kaye's son.

Your partner's loony, r39. She's Italian, not Jewish (real name, Balotta), and she's never been married and doesn't have a son (or any other children).

by Anonymousreply 4709/23/2010

Ain't that the truth!

by Anonymousreply 4809/23/2010

Did anyone else get Eve Arden and Madge the Palm Olive lady mixed up?

by Anonymousreply 4909/23/2010

[quote] My partner knew Kaye Ballard and her family very well. She was just a normal Jewish mom

Kaye Ballard is Italian and does not have children.

by Anonymousreply 5009/23/2010

No, R49. Of course not.

by Anonymousreply 5109/23/2010

"But Kaye Ballard married to Roger C. Carmel? Could it GET any gayer?"

Yep, it could: Kaye Ballard married to Richard Deacon.

by Anonymousreply 5209/23/2010

I always confused Kaye Ballard with Kaye Armen. Lots of similarities except Armen was Armenian.

by Anonymousreply 5309/23/2010

r41, name twenty.

by Anonymousreply 5409/23/2010

[quote] WHICH At the Ballet Girl? Wouldn't they all have been too young for a role in The Mothers-In-Law?

On the DVD, Kaye says it was Kay Cole. She's a lot older than many of the other Chorus Line chorines. The original pilot (with Kay Cole as Eve's daughter) is on the DVD set.

by Anonymousreply 5509/24/2010

[quote]it was Kay Cole. She's a lot older than many of the other Chorus Line chorines.

Not really. She's only 62 - started when she was a teen (in the Liza production of "Best Foot Forward"). Most of the "Chorus Line" ladies are 60-early 60s, except old lady Donna, who turns 70 this year, and Kelly Bishop, who's 66.

by Anonymousreply 5609/24/2010

r15, Robert Preston is not largely forgotten to those of us who love Victor, Victoria.

by Anonymousreply 5709/24/2010

Why did they change the Kaye's husband in the second season. Also why did they change the Hubbard's set in the second season?

by Anonymousreply 5803/10/2011

"I have no idea who these canefaces are. Just how old are you people on this sight? OMG! I'm suprised you know how to use a computer."

I got knews for you, junior, us old-heads invented the computer you're now using. How about a little respect? Someday you'll be our age too...

by Anonymousreply 5910/16/2011

Just watched the I Love Lucy episode with William Holden this morning. Eve makes a cameo appearance in the booth next to Lucy. Lucy and Ethel can't make out who is in the picture above Eve and her dining companions and Ethel taps her on the shoulder to find out who is in the pic: "Is that Judy Holiday or (someone), we can't see the face from here."

"Neither, deadpans Arden, it's Eve Arden!"

Then she walks out of the Brown Derby after giving them all the stink-eye. Funny as hell.

(Then William Holden walks in and I start to drool.)

by Anonymousreply 6010/16/2011

I was friend with a music conductor who worked with Kaye Ballard in the '90s on a one woman Broadway show. She is gay and had her partner with her for the opening of her show. I was delighted to meet her as I was a big fan ever since the "Mother's-in-laws".

by Anonymousreply 6102/09/2012

Great thread. I missed it the first time around. Thanks for bumping it.

by Anonymousreply 6202/11/2012

Eve Arden's film career is fascinating. She only became attached to a studio when she signed with Warner in the early '40s. She did bits in both 'A's and 'B's at every studio except Fox.

She was briefly considered for the Ann Sothern role in A LETTER TO THREE WIVES. I adore Ann and thin she's perfection in the film, but Eve would have been beyond fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 6302/11/2012

Eve plays a little butch, so I can understand why she was a character actress and not a big star.

by Anonymousreply 6402/11/2012

Ballard says she bought her home in Rancho Mirage, from Desi Arnaz. It had a different street name, but then it was changed to Kaye Ballard Dr. Cute. A friend lives around the corner, and says he sees her all the time, when he drives by. She has silver/white hair now, and drives a Chrysler Sebring convertable, always with the top down. Why isnt she on TV, or in movies, as a crazy Italian aunt, or grandmother ? Is she retired ?

by Anonymousreply 6502/11/2012

[quote]Doin' It for Love is a 2012 cabaret show scheduled to premiere in Austin, Texas, on February 24, 2012, at the historic Paramount Theatre. Starring Ballard and Montevecchi, the cast now includes Broadway performer Lee Roy Reams. The Austin performance is a benefit for the Texas Humane Legislation Network.[4] On March 9-10, 2012, the show travels to Los Angeles.

If you want to see Kaye Ballard go to Austin, TX next week or LA in March.

I loved the Mothers-in-Law and both Ballard and Eve Arden were fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 6602/11/2012

I thought Lee Roy Reams died about a dozen years ago.

by Anonymousreply 6702/11/2012

They were totally straight. I should know.

by Anonymousreply 6802/11/2012

Eve made her film debut in 1929 under her real name, Eunice Quedens, before starring on Vroadway and then Hollywood as Eve Arden (she took the "Arden" name from an Elizabeth Arden cold cream jar).

A brilliant, unique, special performer.

Wendie Malick is clearly her modern-day eqivalent.

by Anonymousreply 7002/12/2012

Wendie Malick isn't fit to shine Eve Arden's pumps. Or Kaye Ballard's orthopedic oxfords, either.

by Anonymousreply 7102/12/2012

I just read that Kaye was in her 30s during the Mothers In Law and only a few years older than the guy who played her son. I also discovered that the guy who played her husband was gay also.

by Anonymousreply 7202/12/2012

Okay, I swear I remember Kaye Ballard doing a one-woman show about Gertrude Stein, but it's not listed on her web site.

Anyone? Or an I hallucinating?

by Anonymousreply 7302/12/2012

Okay, I found out it's Pat Caroll, not Kaye Ballard who did the one-woman show about Gertrude. I'm not crazy, just delusional.

(Though Kaye did get hysterical with laughter once when a friend told her he was from Coos Bay).

by Anonymousreply 7402/12/2012

Didn't Kaye Ballard play Gertrude Berg? I think it was a show called "Molly" about the character Gertrude Berg created for radio and TV - Molly Goldberg.

by Anonymousreply 7502/12/2012

This show was so NOT FUNNY. I like Eve Arden, but Kaye and her character are insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 7602/12/2012

But does anyone have Kaye Buell's recipe for Garbanzo Beans ala King?

by Anonymousreply 7702/12/2012

Info about the husband change.

by Anonymousreply 7802/12/2012

Yes, she did a musical based on Gertrude Berg. Also a dreadful musical based on Come Back Little Sheba. Neither made it to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 7902/12/2012

Kaye told a great story once, of being down in Palm Springs, and going for a bike ride, with an (older) Lucy Ball. Kaye said as they were bicycling down a street, a crazy acting dog ran out in front of them, and bared it's teeth. Kaye was frightened, but she said Lucy just looked at the dog, and growled at it (in that cigarette/booze soaked voice, old Lucy had) , and the dog ran off. Kaye finished the story with " And thats why she was Lucy, and I'm not" - to punctuate how tough Lucy was.

by Anonymousreply 8002/14/2012

Eve Arden's husband pinged off the charts.

by Anonymousreply 8102/15/2012

r80's story, unedited

Kay Ballard talks about a trip to Palm Springs to visit Lucy: "Lucy and I were riding bikes when a dog came out of the woods, foaming at the mouth. She just looked at the dog and yelled, "GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!" The dog ran back into the woods. I turned to her and said, "That is why you are queen of the world and I am nothing."

by Anonymousreply 8202/16/2012

[RE 80] here - thanks for posting that- My memory is a bit muddy, but you got the story right. How could I have forgotten the " Get the fuck out of here" - the best part of the story ? Love Kaye Ballard.

by Anonymousreply 8302/17/2012

Why is that sad R37?

by Anonymousreply 8504/23/2012

R84, you imbecile, everyone on a gay gossip site CARES. Now go home.

by Anonymousreply 8604/23/2012

liz Smith was once Kaye Ballard's road manager.

by Anonymousreply 8704/23/2012

eve had a torrid five year affair with danny kaye on whose radio program she was a regular. both eve and danny were married to other people at the time and, while eve divorced, mrs. kaye wouldn't budge so eve finally ripped herself away from danny's spell, brokenhearted.

by Anonymousreply 8804/23/2012

R88 talk about the odd couple.....oy

by Anonymousreply 8904/23/2012

...can't believe I'm doing this, but I have some inside gossip. ...Kaye Ballard is in a relationship with Patty Daily Caruso. I live near Ballard in Rabcho Mirage and Caruso spends several evenings a week at the Ballard home. They walk the dogs together and it's quite clear to all the neighbors that they are indeed a couple.

by Anonymousreply 9004/24/2012

Both Kaye and Eve Arden always seemed so nice. Watching the DVDs, I was surprised to learn they were both great singers too. That's very nice to hear Kaye is in a happy relationship.

Watching the DVDs was interesting. For the most part, I Love Lucy had kind of a quiet charm. When you look at future projects from Desi and Lucy (like Mothers and Here's Lucy), everything seemed so loud and exaggerated. Even the theme from Mothers was kind of manic. Kay and Eve were so talented, they could still create funny moments (in spite of mediocre scripts). But everything else seemed so overacted and overdone.

by Anonymousreply 9104/24/2012

Eve Arden is the lesbos girl. She has known all sorts of female love with girls. Very butch.

by Anonymousreply 9204/24/2012

Quick response to a poster. We have TCM, netflix, retro houses: no one needs to be old to remember film history! Kaye Ballard is funny, but Arden is an icon, see STAGE DOOR and MILDRED PIERCE for heaven's sake. Dorothy McGuire is not my fave, but she was is A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, 'TIL THE END OF TIME, A SUMMER PLACE, and RICH MAN, POOR MAN on TV!

by Anonymousreply 9304/28/2012

THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW is fun but it suffers from having four leads who are all second bananas. Also, the young man is bland and Deborah Walley is a plastic-y "good girl" who calls to mind Luci Baines Johnson and Tricia Nixon.

Eve and Kaye play off each other well. But each is supposed to function as the Ethel to the other's Lucy. Only neither one is allowed to take charge as Lucy did. So they end up being Ethel to each other's Ethel. They're both genuinely funny, though.

It's too bad they didn't replace Roger C. Carmel with Avery Schreiber or someone like him. Cold, dry Richard Deacon was a senseless choice to play Ballard's husband in Season Two.

by Anonymousreply 9404/28/2012

Did Eve ever play the lead in a movie? Can't see anything other than supporting roles in her credits.

by Anonymousreply 9506/18/2013

[quote]I'm watching the DVD of some show they did

Smacks of trying to distance himself from his topic. Fairly disingenuous, and suggests that he's launching a troll posting.

by Anonymousreply 9606/18/2013

I remember seeing Eve Arden on something as a little kid - noticed her and thought she was amusing.

by Anonymousreply 9706/18/2013

[quote]Cold, dry Richard Deacon was a senseless choice to play Ballard's husband in Season Two.

Richard Deacon dragged down anything he was ever in.

by Anonymousreply 9806/21/2013

Whomever it was who rudely commented on "old" people using the site: I'm active & I think young. I'd rather be old & still excited about life than be younger & be a snotty, ignorant little shit like you who can't string a cogent sentence together or spell simple words, i.e., "sight" for "site".My only regret about your posting is I won't be standing next to you when you are 50, 60, 65 or whatever age you deem as "old".

by Anonymousreply 9908/16/2013

Kaye Ballard was in the original version of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella, the original version starring Julie Andrews.

Kaye and Alice Ghostly were the sisters and sing the great Stepsister's Duet. "Why would a fellow like a girl like her, a girl who's merely lovely?"

In the DVD commentary, she talks about working with Oscar Hammerstein who paid her a compliment when it was over, something about how she was such a professional. Kaye says the words are imprinted in her memory.

by Anonymousreply 10008/16/2013

R98=Lumpy Rutherford

by Anonymousreply 10108/16/2013

[quote]Did Eve ever play the lead in a movie? Can't see anything other than supporting roles in her credits.

There was an "Our Miss Brooks" movie; surely she must have been the lead in that, since she played the title role.

by Anonymousreply 10208/16/2013

I can't believe after all this time and all these bumps I'm the first to mention that Eve was sensational as spinster high school English teacher Connie Brooks in Our Miss Brooks, a sit-com from the early 1950s that rivaled I Love Lucy in popularity.

When I was a little kid in the late 50s/early 60s it was in perennial reruns on weekday mornings and I would feign head colds to stay home from school to watch Eve and her colleagues Gale Gordon (who hadn't become TOO insufferable yet) as Principal Chester Conklin, adorable Richard Crenna as high school student Walter Denton and especially gorgeous Robert Rockwell as bachelor biology teacher Mr. Boynton.

Though I have to admit, I've recently youtubed a couple of episodes and it now seems pretty tedious and unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 10308/16/2013

r79 - MOLLY did open on Broadway and played for nearly 80 performances before closing.

by Anonymousreply 10408/17/2013

This was one of the unfunniest shows on TV. I have seen it in syndication several times and my jaw drops as to how strained the repartee was. Especially with Kaye Ballard.

by Anonymousreply 10508/17/2013

Not to go off topic, but R3 makes a great point about three-way marriages.

What's wrong with that? I think it's a great idea. I can see a long-term couple bringing in a single woman as a companion and lover. Why not? It would fulfill the wives' need for female intimacy and give the straight guy a full-time boner. They could also save mush money and in these hard economic times would cushion retirement and caregiving expenses.

by Anonymousreply 10608/17/2013

Even as a kid, the show was unwatchable. The relationship between Arden and Ballard seemed forced. The scripts were endlessly recycled, predictable stuff. That era was the nadir of tv sitcoms--all the writing was done by these old warhorses who'd started in radio and kept recycling the same tired gags and situations.

by Anonymousreply 10711/15/2013

Roger Carmel was into drugs and male hookers.

by Anonymousreply 10811/15/2013

Kaye Ballard is normal, not a weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 10911/15/2013

r103: Too sad and too true: Arden & Ann Sothern were among the brightest, sharpest comediennes in '40s films, but their '50s TV shows (Sothern's being PRIVATE SECRETARY) are unfunny slogs. All their crisp, sophisticated drollery went flat.

by Anonymousreply 11011/15/2013

I thought Kaye Ballard was in Doris Day's sitcom? IMDB has no mention of her. Do she have ANY connection with our Dodo?

by Anonymousreply 11111/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!