Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Vera-Ellen

She was celebrated as having the smallest waistline in Hollywood.However, she also was said to suffer from anorexia, and all the outfits she wore in "White Christmas" (including a nightgown) were high-necked--supposedly because her anorexia made her look like she had an elderly woman's neck. This has been disputed, but what hasn't been is that she looks incredibly different in this film than she does in "On the Town" just a few years before, when she looked gorgeous and vibrant (in "WC," she looks haggard and drawn).

by Anonymousreply 2501/08/2013

Caring, sharing Every single thing that we are wearing! When a certain gentlemen arrived from Rome, I wore the dress... ...and I stayed home!

by Anonymousreply 109/19/2010

OP, it's established that dear Vera-Ellen was anorexic. If some want to called it self-starved but not diagnosed, that's okay. A perfectionist in a career requiring extreme physical conditioning and who apparently responded to pressure by controlling her weight, and who withdrew completely from public life after personal sadness - hmmm. Her condition seems to have fluctuated over time. In some stills in the 1940s she looks fine, and in others she looks scarily thin. Same as in the early 1950s. By "Call Me Madam" and "White Christmas" in 1953-1954 she was way too thin. When she returned to the screen in her last movie in 1957, three years into her second marriage, though, she looked better. She was so small that slight fluctuations in her weight made a big difference in appearance. It's painful to see her vertebrae poking up in "Call Me Madam" like she's a petite little lizard. Poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 209/19/2010

Oh just, you know, taking my cat surfing...same as every summer day!

by Anonymousreply 809/20/2010

It's the "Choreography" number, which is at the link. Unfortunately I can't really play video on this computer, so I can't tell you the specific time stamp when the moment occurs.

by Anonymousreply 1209/20/2010

They're supposed to be beatniks? Oh my.

by Anonymousreply 1409/20/2010

Why are the old movie stars so tiny?.Women just don't have the same type of figure nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 1609/21/2010

My old college professor LOVES Vera-Ellen. This thread would thrill him to no end.

by Anonymousreply 1809/21/2010

That's not the part I remembered, R19. In fact, now that I'm on a computer where I can see the video, it's obvious this isn't the number I was looking for at all. The moment was definitely a very tight closeup of her standing en pointe, white ballet shoes, and the scene cut to someone pointing to her and obviously indicating in a hammy way that she was doing something miraculous. Maybe it wasn't Danny Kaye. Now I'm really embarrassed because I can't remember what film it was in.

by Anonymousreply 2009/21/2010

Vera-Ellen became my favorite actress many years ag0> I don't remember at what moment I decided that. Too bad she had to suffer anorexia, because of the pressure to look thin.It happens to a lot of actresses now-for example Leeann Rimes, Lindsay Lohan,Kate Bosworth.

by Anonymousreply 2101/08/2013

She doesn't look anorexic in any of the photos posted here.

by Anonymousreply 2201/08/2013

She was no Ana Alicia.

by Anonymousreply 2301/08/2013

My mother used to brag about her grandmother's 18 inch waistline.

by Anonymousreply 2401/08/2013

[quote]Rosemary Clooney also had a very small waist in "White Christmas." A few decades later it was like a Mac Truck coming on stage.

I laughed when I read this. But now that I see it's from 2010, I think I may have been R9.

by Anonymousreply 2501/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.