Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is there a book about the Petit family murders in Connecticut?

I am so haunted by it. Today on Snderson Cooper they showed the bank video of the mother withdrawing $15K from the bank, knowing that if she told anyone why she was doing it her daughters would be murdered. (They were anyway.)

by Anonymousreply 10807/24/2013

Yes, a compelling story. Is the doctor working again?

by Anonymousreply 109/16/2010

The police really blew this case, sitting surrounding the house while the Petits were being slaughtered.%0D %0D Pity that Mrs. Petit didn't have the presence of mind to pretend to have a heart attack or feign some other illness in the bank after telling the teller about her family's plight, or stall as long as possible due to some "problem" with the withdrawal.%0D %0D So tragic.

by Anonymousreply 209/16/2010

She was probably scared out of her wits, not able to think rationally and terrified that a mistake would result in her daughters' murder.

by Anonymousreply 409/17/2010

Oh for fuck's sake, r3, are you the same idiot who kept squawking "The husband did it" when it happened?

It adds up perfectly to everyone except you, cookie.

But no, you're just so smart, you know better than the professionals who investigated the case.

You're a douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 509/17/2010

Here, OP.

by Anonymousreply 609/17/2010

This is old news, ladies.

Let's do try to keep up, non?

by Anonymousreply 709/17/2010

You beat me to it R6, LOL. Many people are pissed off at this book because the author is giving sympathy to the murderers. Also, the husband is asking people to boycott that book because he feels it is a disgrace to his family. However, read the reviews and that is your judgment to make.

by Anonymousreply 809/17/2010

This is one of the worst murders I have ever heard of. All of the scum involved should get the death penalty.

by Anonymousreply 909/17/2010

The bank security footage of Mrs. Petit is so chilling. The look of barely suppressed horror. The gravity of the situation etched all over her face.

Human beings are monsters.

by Anonymousreply 1009/17/2010

I don't think they planned to kill all of them until the end, and, perhaps, never planned to. hence, they beat the Dr to unconsciousness (or thought he was dead already).%0D %0D I thought the wife told the teller what was going on? In any event, she was protecting her daughters by not saying anything.%0D %0D In prinicple, I am against the death penalty, but in this case there is no question that these guys committed this aweful, aweful crime.%0D %0D I hope they fry.

by Anonymousreply 1109/17/2010

the douchebag who wrote the book is also reporting the trial for the NY Post.

by Anonymousreply 1209/17/2010

The wife did tell the teller that her family was being held hostage - so why didn't the teller do anything?

And how is the book sympathetic to the killers? What possible position could there be that is sympathetic to them?

by Anonymousreply 1309/17/2010

The teller DID call the police while the woman was in the bank. Please dont contirbute to discussions until you have a working knowledge of what's being discussed.

by Anonymousreply 1409/17/2010

So if the wife told the teller and the teller called the police - why didn't the women get saved? Did the police fuck up somehow?

by Anonymousreply 1509/17/2010

The wife was told if she got the $, and all went smooth, that no one would be killed.

My take is that she was trying to play it as cool as possible to save herself, her husband and daughters. She probably thought that if she stalled or took too long, or if cops showed up there, that her captor in the waiting car would call the other criminal that was at her home and give the signal to kill the daughters and husband.

The teller should have called 911, given the cops the address and told them the family was about to be murdered. Instead the stupid ass teller was talking slow and blathering on about bullshit. "Um, he's outside, um, I will try and see the license plate, um, not sure if he's still there, um,..."

by Anonymousreply 1609/17/2010

r3 thinks the lesbians burned down their own home

by Anonymousreply 1709/17/2010

do more at the bank? she told them what was going on in her home and I am sure she thought the minute she delayed her family would be killed-%0D %0D horrible freaky story of human depravity- really a modern day "In Cold Blood".%0D %0D The husband got away pretty much by dumb luck out of the basement and it was too late when he made it to the neighbor's house-%0D %0D everything that could go wrong did go wrong- the cops were following protocol but were in over their heads in terms of the monstrosity of the killers- of course they should have moved in immediately although even if they had, I doubt they had the experience to know what to do-

by Anonymousreply 1809/17/2010

The teller gave the police a pretty accurate play by play of what was going on. If you listen to the 9-11 call - it's pretty clear that the teller is doing all she can to communicate the situation to the operator. The teller is articulate and not freaking out. You really couldn't ask for anything more. She must feel horrible.

by Anonymousreply 1909/17/2010

Does anyone know if there's a timeline of the incident available? I have more questions than answers.%0D %0D Did the wife and daughters know that the husband was badly beaten and tied up downstairs? %0D %0D Were the girls tied up before Mrs. Petit left for the bank? When were they raped? %0D %0D How long after they returned from the bank was the house lit on fire? Apparently they stopped at a gas station for gas in cans during the trip to the bank so the killers knew they were going to burn the house. Had they somehow killed the girls before leaving for the bank without Mrs. Petit knowing?%0D %0D The girls were stabbed and Mrs. Pettit was shot, right?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2009/17/2010

This case haunts me. It is so depraved, so cruel and horrifying. It's not only the murders, it's the horror that preceded them. %0D %0D My heart breaks for the family. (I don't usually have such strong reactions to news stories.) As some people have said, I don't normally support the death penalty, but they should hang these guys in the town square. %0D %0D May the family rest in peace.

by Anonymousreply 2109/17/2010

watch the news people. The mother DID tell the teller. The teller DID tell the cops. The cops surrounded the house, but didn't barge in until the fucker was in flames!

by Anonymousreply 2209/17/2010

The police fucked up. This is everywhere in the news. They were too slow to react after surrounding the house and the family died as the result.

There will be an astronomical settlement over this.

by Anonymousreply 2309/17/2010

R19, they didn't need a fucking play by play, they needed to get to the house.

by Anonymousreply 2409/17/2010

At least they didn't beat, rape and kill the girls and mother in front of the father. Not a big consolation, but I heard of a case where that happened.

A man's daughter and wife were slowly and disgustingly tortured and raped repeatedly, then killed. He was forced to watch all of it. He begged to be killed but they let him live figuring living with the pain of watching would be worse. I am shocked he didn't commit suicide after that. I can't even imagine living with those images. Sick, sick, sick fucks out there.

by Anonymousreply 2509/17/2010

[quote]This is old news, ladies. Let's do try to keep up, non?

It's not "old news" : the trial is going on right now, and it's very much in the news.

Moreover, we talk about past murder cases all the time on Datalounge. You'd probably know that if you weren't so busy playing your self-appointed role of hall monitor.

by Anonymousreply 2609/17/2010

And wasn't the husband upstairs asleep and they beat him in the bed? He probably got off best of all of them. I agree...I want to see these fuckers killed live on tv. And yes I also am usually against the dp...

by Anonymousreply 2709/17/2010

r24

What the fuck are you talking about? The teller 9/11 made it clear exactly what was happening. You do realize that 9-11 operators can dispatch police and stay on the phone with the caller? It's am amazing this during two things at once thing. You should try it. Next time you are driving - text.

Thanks r19

by Anonymousreply 2809/17/2010

It is truly one of the worst crimes I've ever heard about. The girls were excited that they just got the new Harry Potter book, and were reading it together that night. That part just breaks my heart for some reason, it's so innocent.%0D %0D The cops were following protocol. It's easy to second guess and say the should have stormed the house, but they didn't know what was going on inside or what was going to happen. Keep in mind this is Cheshire, CT a tiny little town where the police have no experience with anything like this.

by Anonymousreply 2909/17/2010

R27, the husband was asleep on a couch on the first floor while the wife and kids were asleep upstairs when the suspects entered the house. Mr. Petit was beaten with a baseball bat.%0D %0D Apparently, the suspects found their victims at the grocery store. Mrs. Petit and the girls shopping for dinner. They followed them home and waited for the family to go to sleep.%0D %0D Chilling.

by Anonymousreply 3009/17/2010

Someone was on The View the other day discussing the trial. He says the husband almost bled to death. He needed 7 pints at the hospital. When he made it out the cops thought all the blood on him meant he was one of the crooks. They didn't enter the building until they saw smoke and then they couldn't enter becaause of the flames. There are two separate trials so the husband has to go thru it twice.

by Anonymousreply 3109/17/2010

This makes me glad I have two mean as fuck (to strangers or intruders) german shepherds

by Anonymousreply 3209/17/2010

R3, your reasoning skills are sorely lacking. Don't you think the two criminals would have maybe, just maybe mentioned to the police that the father was involved? Don't you think the raping murderers lawyer would have mentioned this? The defense lawyer passed on even asking the father any questions%0D %0D %0D Why wasn't the father killed? he was lucky enough to get out. The raping murderers tied him up down in the basement. Before they made their escape they soaked the entire inside of the house with gasoline. They figured he would just burn up with the rest of them.%0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3309/17/2010

agree with r29. as other have pointed out the bank teller did call 911 and relay everything to the 911 operator.

the cops, like r29, didn't have any experience or sense to do anything but follow 'protocol' which is the town's police dept. way of not sounding like a bunch of clueless hicks. which they were. if the police were better prepared or maybe had the chief called a peer in a larger city, the police would have responded differently. in fact, they did absolutely nothing but watch the house which the family inside were being tortured, raped and murdered. very sad.

if you watch the CNN clip they lived in a beautiful upper-middle community with a large gorgeous home. the police probably hand out speeding tickets and that's the extent of their police duties.

oh, and i understand when people think the dad did it. because in many, many cases like this, there usually is a family member involved. think the mcdonald case.

by Anonymousreply 3409/17/2010

r34. It is true that family members are usually suspects. However - if you are going to suspect the father at least have the decency to read an article about the case. It only takes a moment to be informed. Read r33 again.

by Anonymousreply 3509/17/2010

In the CNN tape they say the mother was raped and then strangled to death, the girls were raped and stabbed to death. Then the killers escaped the house in the family's SUV and ran head on into a police cruiser and were instantly arrested.%0D %0D That tape of the mother is sickening chilling. As someone pointed it, you see restrained horror on her face the whole time. I guess some of you have a point about the police department and what their usual experience is in a bedroom community such as this. However, I believe it incumbent on all police departments to be prepared for situations like this in this day and age. %0D %0D The murder in my life time that was the most chilling was in the early 60s when some guy strngled 8 student nurses in their apartment. One additional one survived by sliding under a bed and up against the wall. He either forgot about her or didn't count right. I cannot imagine what she must have gone through the whole night hearing her roommates being killed one by one and just waiting for her turn.%0D %0D Anyway, I've provided the CNN link for those that haven't seen it yet.

by Anonymousreply 3609/17/2010

I suppose the defense attorneys only hope is that their clients don't get the death penalty. They are certainly guilty. Some times defendants wave a jury trial and only have a judge make a verdict. In a death penalty case does it have to be a jury trial?

by Anonymousreply 3709/17/2010

My cousin worked was psychologist for prisoners. He said the murderers said they would kill again. He said they didn't have an ounce of remorse, and they didn't care in the slightest degree. He said they could not be rehabilitated because they were so dangerously mentality ill that they were beyond help.

by Anonymousreply 3809/17/2010

[quote]I want to see these fuckers killed live on tv. And yes I also am usually against the dp

No, apparently, you're not. More than one person on this thread has said they're against the death penalty but they want the criminals to die... it's just not logical. If you're FOR the death penalty and say you want these criminals to die, that's one thing. "No death penalty except when I'm really upset about a crime" is another.

by Anonymousreply 3909/17/2010

this case has certainly made me rethink my position on the death penalty.

by Anonymousreply 4009/17/2010

A long shitty life in jail would be more punishment in my view than a quick execution then oblivion. And we know a court would give them a life sentence and they'll never be free or allowed to be further danger to society.

by Anonymousreply 4209/17/2010

I don't think it was ever definitively stated that both girls were raped - just the 11 year-old. Either the 17 year-old wasn't raped or her body was so badly burned that they couldn't tell.

The 17 year-old's body was actually found at the top of the stairs however, whereas the young girl was tied to the bed, so it may be that she did escape or try to get out of the house.

Regarding the death penalty, the "long, miserable life in prison" argument worked for me until the Richard Speck case. Speck spent a long life in prison for sure, under conditions most of us would define as unbearable, but the human animal is amazingly adaptive, and Speck apparently learned to enjoy the violent, depraved environment in which he lived.

Personally, I think justice would be tying the defendents up in a room, and putting the father in the room with them for about 24 hours and letting him take vengence on them however he pleased with no consequences.

by Anonymousreply 4309/17/2010

Oh please, like it's just SO unusual and shocking to suspect that the husband who happens to be the only survivor of these horrifc situations might somehow be in on it, regardless of how badly he was injured himself? This probably is, in fact, the 1% of the time when he wasn't involved, but the other 99%? The masterminds have their fingerprints all over the crime.

by Anonymousreply 4409/17/2010

r36,

The older daughter was NOT raped. The younger daughter, 11, was raped as was her mother.

How was the coroner able to determine that they had been raped? The mother's body was burned extremely badly. There was barely anything left of her body.

by Anonymousreply 4509/17/2010

Speaking of appalling murders...has anyone here ever heard of Lawrence Bittaker and Roy Norris? They're two sociopaths who abducted young girls in California and raped, tortured and murdered them.

Pliers were used on the nipples of one of the victims. This poor girl also had to endure having her elbow hit with a hammer repeatedly. Two of the victims had icepicks driven into both ears to kill them. That didn't kill them, so they were strangled. That's how the five young victims died; after being raped and tortured they were strangled, that in itself being a slow, agonizing way to die.

The two maniacs made an audio tape of the screams of one of the victims as she's being raped and tortured. When the tape was played in court some of the people in the courtroom ran outside to vomit.

Bittaker was given the death penalty in 1981. He's STILL on death row. Kill the motherfucker, already! Norris cooperated with the police, so he was given life. He was up for parole in 2009. Parole was denied, but he'll be up for parole again in ten years.

by Anonymousreply 4609/17/2010

In put this: "Murders of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom" in to Wikipedia. This is the worst crime I have ever head of.

by Anonymousreply 4709/17/2010

This happened near me. Pure evil. It makes me sick every time I think about the horror and pain those girls and their mother went through.

by Anonymousreply 4809/17/2010

Interesting short video on Richard Speck at link. Shows he got breasts (hormones?), and was sitting there laughing and doing cocaine. On teh video he says "If they only knew how much fun I was having here, they'd turn me loose"

Sick.

by Anonymousreply 4909/17/2010

R47, this made me physically ill.

I know there are shitty people out there, but it still amazes me that these kinds of btutal savages exist.

by Anonymousreply 5009/17/2010

R50 That video was disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 5109/17/2010

The crime mentioned at r47 is one of the worst I've ever heard of, and it hardly seemed to get any publicity at all. In fact, I wouldn't have known about it if it weren't for DL.

by Anonymousreply 5209/17/2010

R51, there is a video at the link at R50? Did I miss it?

by Anonymousreply 5309/17/2010

I hate the human race.

by Anonymousreply 5409/18/2010

[quote]It's am amazing this during two things at once thing.

Shirley Q. Liquor, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 5509/18/2010

R46 that case was similar to the Hillside Strangler murders that occurred in the late 70's. That case was so disturbing and sick. The two pieces of filth took a 10 or an 11-year-old little girl, and tortured her by shocking her with electrical wires as the other raped her. Also, they took turns on the little girl. It is so diabolical sick and so cruel. Folks, these pigs in jail get cable TV, Library access, and other amenities. Is that just delightful. There is no rational reason to keep scum like this alive. They are using up space on earth, they are polluting the earth by existing, and the taxpayers are paying for their perks in jail.

Rather than wasting our tax money on this scum, sending to the death plenty where they need to go and take the taxpayer money and use it to improve society. It’s irrational to keep this trash alive and accommodate them. There are some people who say, the death penalty is so inhuman. Oh really? what about what this sewage did to these young ladies and kids? Using sledge hammers on their heads and elbows? Rape and Torture? People, do the math!

by Anonymousreply 5609/19/2010

the death penalty is better because it is justice and it gets them out of public consciousness - instead of Diane Sawyer running to interview them on some "anniversary" of the murders and the media repeating a detailed discussion of the whole crime again

Prison might be terrible to normal people but thugs and sociopaths don't mind it - they are around their kind and there's tv and drugs

by Anonymousreply 5709/19/2010

Chilling R49. Glad he's dead, but wish he had suffered. No hormones. He had man boobs. The epitome of white trash.

by Anonymousreply 5809/19/2010

Sorry, the moobs so grossed me out, I stopped watching. I didn't hear that he took hormones. How disgusting!

by Anonymousreply 5909/19/2010

I thought somewhere in the video it said he was going through a "process" to make himself look more feminine, thereby making him more attractive to cellmates and keeping him safe.

by Anonymousreply 6009/19/2010

R49, I remember when they interviewed that sick pig. I thought I was going to throw up. Especially with the hormone shots he received by taxpayer money so he could be more like a woman for his cellmate in which they had a lot of sex. They asked him what he thought about the nurses he murdered that day and did he have any remorse? He said, well, they were at the wrong place at the wrong time. That wasn't my fault they were there. What cow dung.

by Anonymousreply 6109/20/2010

Sorry OP I don't mean to divert from the subject, but I thought I should share this with everyone. Back in the 1980's my older sister lived alone in a studio apartment on the ground level in this apartment complex. Her apartment was located at the end of the building, and she had sliding doors that lead out to an adjacent park. The apartment building was also located very near the main freeway. This place was totally unsafe for a single girl to live in. The hallway leading to her apartment was dimly lit, and it was just awful. However, my sister was and is a pretty tough person, and she never got scared very easily. Also, she was always a very independent person.

Anyway, my sister worked two jobs, and went to school. She had a night job and a day job. One evening she came home very late. She drove in where her carport driveway was located with other tenet's carports were located. She noticed a man putting on a ski mask hiding near the outer part of the carport. It was dark, but her car lights shined a slight flash on this guy’s face. She recognized the man from the news. He was the Night Stalker. My sister put her car in reverse, and sped out of there as fast as she possibly could. She rushed to the police department and told them. However, They just brushed it off and ignored her. She waited awhile before going back home. She finally drove back home, and she didn't see the guy anywhere, and she ran into her apartment locking everything up, and barley sleeping. She thought the guy left, but she was wrong. The next day she went to her car to go to work, and all of her car windows were busted. Also, they reported on the news the next day that a couple was murdered not far from where she lived. He would drive on the freeway up and down California scanning for victims at night. Later on they finally caught the guy. Right after my sister encountered that incident, she moved as swiftly as she possibly could to another place.

by Anonymousreply 6209/20/2010

I am 100% FOR the death penalty. It's the only just punishment for crimes like these.

I would like to see someone write a thoughtful, insightful, well-written, well-researched book about this case. But no doubt a quickie job will be out before you know it, written by some hack to make money off this ghastly tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 6309/20/2010

Most police are just bureaucrats with a badge

by Anonymousreply 6409/20/2010

Jeez, R62, that really creeped me out!

by Anonymousreply 6509/20/2010

R62, not exactly the Night Stalker, but 10 or so years ago there was a serial rapist in the area of town where I live.%0D %0D I woke up one morning to find him climbing into my window and pulling himself into my bed, which was by the window. The strange thing is that I recognized him - he lived in a block of apartments behind me and I'd noticed him staring at me before.%0D %0D It's strange, because although I'm not a violent or aggressive person, I was filled with rage and adrenaline at the intrusion and literally kicked his ass. He ended up retreating back out of the window.%0D %0D I called the police and told them everything about the incident, including who he was and where he lived and they did NOTHING. I remember still seeing him lurking around the neighborhood and not understanding why the cops hadn't arrested him. %0D %0D I called 911 a few times because I just couldn't believe this guy who tried to climb in my window was still wandering my neigborhood ogling me. I went weeks without being able to sleep throught the night. I bought a gun thinking I might have to end up killing him.%0D %0D He raped a few other women before he was literally caught red-handed.

by Anonymousreply 6610/03/2010

Because he was most likely in on it. Husbands always are.

by Anonymousreply 6810/03/2010

I believe the house was on fire when the husband escaped. This was why he couldn't save his family. Plus, he was very badly wounded and needed to get help for them.

by Anonymousreply 6910/03/2010

The house was on fire idiots and gasoline fumes were everywhere. He was still tied up and had no way to get to them. He thought the perps might still be there and wanted to get help that could move and wasn't bleeding to death. %0D %0D Why don't people read a little on a subject before they bloviate?

by Anonymousreply 7010/03/2010

Dr. Petit had his skull crushed in by a baseball bat and was in no condition to assist his family. Besides, it seems that the real shit didn't go down until Jennifer and Hayes returned from the bank. While they were gone, Komisarjevsky raped Michaela (the 11 year old) and made her take a shower. He also poured bleach on her shorts to try and eliminate DNA most likely, which had to have been torturous for the little girl. While at the bank, Jennifer told the teller and the manager that the criminals were being "nice" and that she believed that if she got the money, the family would be let go. She probably realized what had happened to her daughter and freaked out when she returned home. At this point she was raped and strangled to death.

Dr. Petit came to during this and figured out that time was running out - he screamed "Hey! Hey! Hey!" from the basement and heard one of the cretins say "Don't worry, it will all be over soon." The tone of voice had turned so sinister that Dr.Petit got a shot of andrenaline and was able to loosen his hand ties and he hopped up the stairs out of the bulkhead. He then started yelling his neighbor's name and hopping/rolling towards the neighbors house. Both the cops and the criminals witnessed this and everything escalated very, very quickly. Hayley and Michaela were tied to their beds and doused with gasoline. The cops outside could hear the girls screaming as the two criminals ran out of the house, laughing. Hayley was probably able to escape from her bed because her restraints were burned through, but there was no hope for her to make it through the flames.

At the link are photos submitted for evidence at Hayes' trial which made my skin crawl. Of course his defense is that Komisarjevsky made him rape and kill Jennifer so he would be doing his part, which is bullshit.

Oh and Komisarjevsky had several photos of Michaela on his cell phone, which he attempted to email to friends.

by Anonymousreply 7110/03/2010

And another link to most of the relevant evidence in the case.

by Anonymousreply 7210/03/2010

The jury in the Hayes trial is now deliberating. A police record of the emergency calls is available - the cops hear Petit calling for his neighbor at 9:54, and a minute later the neighbor is calling 911. Terrifying, this case is haunting me, too.

by Anonymousreply 7310/04/2010

n a relatively swift verdict in a high-profile trial, Steven Hayes was found guilty Tuesday on 16 of 17 charges, including the murder of three members of the Petit family at their home in Cheshire in July 2007.

Hayes, who has been held in custody since the day of the crimes, was found guilty of three each of murder and the kidnapping of Jennifer Hawke-Petit and her two daughters. He was also found guilty of the first-degree sexual assault of Jennifer Hawke-Petit.

Hayes was found not guilty on only one charge - the arson of the Petit family home. Jurors had raised questions about the details of the charge of first-degree arson and had questions of whether Hayes had actually set the fire.

Hayes now faces the death penalty, which could be his sentence after a separate trial by the same jury that found him guilty. That phase of the case is expected to start on October 18 in state Superior Court in New Haven.

The jury deliberated over 17 criminal charges in a case with a large amount of evidence. They started deliberations on Monday afternoon, and they returned to the courthouse on Tuesday morning. Shortly after 12 noon, the foreman sent a note to Superior Court Judge Jon Blue, who is among the most veteran criminal court judges in the state.

The father of Jennifer Hawke-Petit spoke briefly to the press outside the courthouse, saying that the family was "pleased with the verdict' and that "justice is being served.'

Dr. William Petit, the only survivor of the attack, thanked all those who had supported the family through the trial.

"We did our best to keep our faith in God that justice would be served,' he said, adding it was "an appropriate verdict.'

"There is some relief, but my family is still gone. It doesn't bring them back. It doesn't bring back the home we had, but certainly a guilty verdict is a much better sense of relief than a not-guilty verdict.'

Petit's wife, who suffered from multiple sclerosis, had raised money to help fight the disease.

"I thought the evidence was fairly overwhelming,' Petit said, crediting New Haven State's Attorney Michael Dearington for successfully presenting the case to the jury.

Petit remained relatively stoic throughout the proceedings, and he said he has often been asked about how he can endure the trial and the grief from the murders of his family. He turned to the reporters outside the courthouse and told them that they are "good human beings' who would have reacted in a similar fashion under the same circumstances.

"I think you would do the same thing for your families if your family was destroyed by evil,' Petit said to the reporters. "It's the one thing you can do. ... I do it for my family.'

Dr. Petit was the only survivor of the attack, and he attended the trial each day as the jury was shown gruesome photographs.

WFSB-TV, Channel 3, reported at the end of its noon newscast that a verdict was in, and then the station interrupted its regular programming after 12:30 p.m. to broadcast live coverage.

The shocking details of the Hayes case had prompted national media coverage of the trial, including on news programs on CNN and the Fox News Channel.

by Anonymousreply 7410/05/2010

Please don't buy the book. The reporter spoke to one of the criminals before a court-imposed gag order and refused to not publish the book, even though it may have impacted the prosecution's case. Dr. Petit fought and fought and fought to keep it from being published and there was some loophole that allowed it to happen. Please, for the spirit of the family, don't support this wretch by buying the book.%0D %0D I know, I know, freedom of the press. True. Freedom of capitalism also says you don't have to support it and can send a message that way.%0D %0D This happened in the town where I grew up. Never in a million years would any person in that town have thought something of this horror could have ever happened here. Even though I live hundreds of miles away now, I feel like a part of my childhood and the security I grew up with has been shattered. I can't imagine what Dr. Petit goes through every day when he wakes and how he gets through the day.%0D %0D R29, the Harry Potter thing is something that has stuck with me, too. I get a stab in my heart thinking that the girls died never knowing what happened. Sometimes is the smallest, most innocent detail that sends me over the edge and that one is it.%0D %0D Dr. Petit sat through that whole trial and left only when they were describing the injuries to his daughters, he couldn't be in there to hear it. He refused to allow the state to accept a plea bargain in exchange for life in prison. He wants those mother f-ers to fry. I'm certainly not about to judge the righteousness of the death penalty until I walk a day in his shoes, and I pray to God that never happens.

by Anonymousreply 7510/05/2010

Just a grim reminder that there are very evil people in this world.

by Anonymousreply 7610/05/2010

I just listened to the bank managers' 911 call. I have to praise her for being so calm and concise but the idiot on the other end of the phone was fucking breathtakingly incompetent.

Aren't they trained to respond to an URGENT situation in any way? Was he putting her on hold so he could put his order in for pizza? I find that the first in what seems to be a catalogue of inexcusable errors with tragic consequences.

by Anonymousreply 7710/05/2010

White savages.

The problem with the death penalty is that it takes years before they fry.

by Anonymousreply 7810/05/2010

The police really, really fucked this up.%0D %0D First of all, Mrs. Petit was still in the bank when the bank employee called 911. The employee told the guy on the phone this information, as well as the Petit's address right away. When Mrs. Petit left, the employee gave a descrition of the SUV...the house was 3 miles away...where the fuck were the police? They should have stopped that SUV on the road and been at the house immediately. Mrs. Petit and Hayes made back to the house before the police even got there - that is inexcusable. And then, the cops sit outside the house with their thumbs up their asses for 30 fucking minutes while that poor family was being tortured and killed inside. It's sickening.

by Anonymousreply 7910/07/2010

FYI, a Dateline special on the case is scheduled to air Friday, October 8.

by Anonymousreply 8010/08/2010

It's so upsetting to see the security tape of Hawke-Petit. I feel like I'm watching a movie and somehow, she and her family will be rescued. Terrible, haunting stuff.

by Anonymousreply 8110/11/2010

I think the whole family was in on it for cash, but each were eliminated like on Survivor. The naive girls first, then the greedy mother. The father had an alliance with the 2 killers that they'd all three get what they wanted and walk away (their hush money probably wouldn't stop at 15k and a car). He thought. But all along the killers knew they were going to burn him up in the house as they drove away.

by Anonymousreply 8210/14/2010

I saw this same scenario in a lifetime movie once. The lady at the bank was sfraid to say anything. However, unlike the real horrific story, the LTM lady was still able to save her stepdaughter from death.%0D %0D The real lady should have, unfortunately, realized that you can't trust anyone who would go this far for money, that the only possible ending is death.

by Anonymousreply 8310/14/2010

FUCK Komisarjevsky.

With jurors' eyes lowered and fixed on pages and pages of the histrionic writings of his accomplice, triple-murderer Steven Hayes did something he's rarely done since the start of his death penalty trial last month: look at the jury.

A day after defense attorneys tried to portray Hayes as a likeable drug-addicted follower and a bumbling criminal, they quickly turned jurors' attention Tuesday back to Joshua Komisarjevsky, a man the defense claimed in earlier testimony is an evil schemer and longtime burglar who masterminded the deadly Cheshire home-invasion murders.

Hayes, 47, kept his eyes on the jury box as the panel was bombarded with words from a letter that Komisarjevsky wrote to an author and from the contents of four composition-book journals that correction officials confiscated from his prison cell July 23, 2008 %E2%80%94 exactly a year after the slayings of Jennifer Hawke-Petit and her daughters, Hayley, 17 , and Michaela, 11.

Judge Jon C. Blue's clerk, Edjah Jean-Louis, stood next to the judge as she read aloud the words in a hushed courtroom:

"The Petit family passed through their fear and into the calm waters of abject terror, like mesmerized rabbits cornered by a springing predator," Komisarjevsky wrote. "In all, this was yet another illustration of my infatuation with Russian roulette. This time, I took a risk, pulled the trigger and the chamber was loaded."

Hayes told police that he and Komisarjevsky broke into the Petit home in the middle of the night, beating Dr. William Petit Jr. and tying up the family as they ransacked the home for cash and valuables. Testimony showed that at one point in the break-in, Hayes forced Hawke-Petit to go to the bank to withdraw money. During that time, according to testimony, the other defendant in the case, Joshua Komisarjevsky, sexually assaulted Michaela Petit.

When Hawke-Petit and Hayes returned from the bank, Hayes raped and strangled Hawke-Petit. The house was doused with gasoline and set on fire as the intruders fled, testimony showed. Hayley and Michaela died of smoke inhalation.

Hayes was convicted of the killings earlier this month. Tuesday was the second day of a penalty phase in which jurors will decide whether Hayes is executed for the killings or gets a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of release. Komisarjevsky, 30, of Cheshire, will be tried next year. He also faces the death penalty if convicted.

The writings, described by Petit %E2%80%94 the lone survivor of the home invasion %E2%80%94 as "the ravings of a sociopath who appears to be a pathological liar as well," detailed Komisarjevsky's self-proclaimed career as a "nighttime cat" burglar and described his reactions and thoughts to what happened inside the Petit home.

In one passage, Komisarjevsky refers to "merciless abuse" that he suffered at the ages of 5 and 6, saying he resented "the implication that I raped Michaela. She was spared that degree of demoralization before her ultimate death. I know what rape is, no one has need to explain it to me."

Instead, he said "in a vulgar display of power and depravity," he masturbated on the young girl, and "tasted her fear."

He said that "years of pent-up aggression built-up in prison was waiting to be released like a ticking timebomb" and triggered the baseball bat attack on Petit, an attack he committed moments after breaking into the Petit home in the middle of the night.

"Blood gushed upward from the bat's point of impact in a bright and astonishing torrent. Blood splattered across pure white ceramic tiled flooring making scarlet patterns of Chinese ideograms, spelling out my moral digression."

Komisarjevsky said he swung the bat "again and again" on Dr. Petit, who survived the ordeal despite being beaten and bound. Komisarjevsky said he saw a "stunned shock in his eyes."

Komisarjevsky described Hayley as a fighter. "She continually tried time and time again to free herself and reach help for her family." Michaela's "calm strength and poised emotion gave her an aura of fearlessness in the face of adversity," he wrote.

by Anonymousreply 8410/20/2010

(cont'd)

"Mrs. Petit's courage was/is to be respected," he wrote, adding that she left the safety of the bank, where Hayes had forced her to withdraw $15,000, "to protect her children and it cost her her life. She met that end bravely."

Komisarjevsky's writings about Petit seemed especially cruel. He called Petit a "coward" who "left his wife and children to die at the hands of madmen."

These words prompted two jurors to look over at Petit and members of his family and friends seated in the gallery. Their faces looked strained. Outside court, Petit spoke to reporters.

"The system re-victimizes victims at an alarming rate," said an exhausted-looking Petit.

After nearly two hours of reading, a perturbed-looking New Haven State's Attorney Michael Dearington looked over at the defense table several times. When Thomas J. Ullmann, one of Hayes' public defenders, said there was more for the judge's clerk to read after nearly an entire afternoon devoted to Komisarjevsky's writings, Dearington hung his head.

'I Am Damned'

Earlier Tuesday, Dearington unsuccessfully fought to keep the writings out of the penalty phase, saying that Komisarjevsky's words were unreliable.

"Reading these is kind of like reading The World According to Josh," Dearington said. "Clearly this is fiction and fantasy and the question is, how much of this should a jury hear?"

The judge, however, said, "The relative culpability, relative evil of the two participants of the crime is a central matter for the jury to consider."

"Mr. Hayes is fighting for his life at this stage and he is allowed great latitude," Blue said.

Blue said the jury can decide how much relevance to give the evidence.

He said the defense is offering the evidence as "the musings of a crazy dangerous person," evidence that is in keeping with a theme of the trial of "relevant culpability of the two participants."

Whether the musings are accurate, Blue said, they do relate to Komisarjevsky's career as a burglar and give "some insight into the mind of Komisarjevsky and culpability of the two participants."

Komisarjevsky wrote that he took graphic cellphone photographs of Michaela as "blackmail" that he "planned to use against Mr. and Mrs. Petit." Those photos were discussed in the guilt phase of the Hayes trial. Testimony showed that, on the morning of the killings, he took photographs of a young girl's private areas with his cellphone as she lay bound to her bed.

In one excerpt, Komisarjevsky appears to acknowledge his guilt in the Petit slayings by saying, "Michaela, Hayley and Jennifer. Forgive me please. I am damned."

He said his soul is plagued and his execution would be a "state-sanctioned murder of mercy."

In addition to the diaries, the clerk read a letter that correction officials found during a search of Komisarjevsky's prison cell on July 23, 2008, Rafael Medina, a detective with the state police, testified.

The letter, written by Komisarjevsky, was confiscated before it was sent to Brian McDonald, the author of "In the Middle of the Night: The Shocking True Story of a Family Killed in Cold Blood."

The book leans heavily on prison interviews with Komisarjevsky, as well as letters that he wrote to McDonald. A copy of the paperback was on the prosecutor's table in court Tuesday.

Medina checked the visitor logs at the prison that Komisarjevsky was in at the time and learned that McDonald went there once. Medina also looked to see if Komisarjevsky received payment in his prison account to see if McDonald was paying for information.

Three times, Komisarjevsky received $100 payments in the form of money orders from McDonald, Medina said.

He said that 11 letters were exchanged. Medina said the investigation of the communications between McDonald and Komisarjevsky is ongoing. Such communication could violate a court-imposed gag order in the case.

by Anonymousreply 8510/20/2010

Boasts Of Burglary

In the 40-page letter, Komisarjevksy boasts about his career as a "nighttime cat" burglar, carefully detailing how he would case a house, steal alarm codes, don night-vision goggles and keep fellow burglars at bay until he needed them.

He claims to have broken into the homes of judges, police officers, and people of all classes, including the wealthy. In his letter, he claims to know about the "on-site security staff" at the 20,000-square-foot former Greenwich mansion of fashion designer Tommy Hilfiger.

"I'm a burglar, everyone knows I'm a burglar. It's common knowledge that I can get into pretty much any building I put my mind to," he wrote.

He said people would hire him to steal things, sometimes to furnish their "entire houses."

Komisarjevsky's letter is like a "how-to" manual for burglaries. He describes in great detail how he cased homes and neighborhoods before burglaries. He said he would look to see if the neighborhood had a watch program, lots of street lights or storm drains to crawl through. He would study the layout of homes and potential escape routes.

When burglarizing a home, Komisarjevsky wrote, less is more %E2%80%94 less gear, more observation of his target. From 9 p.m. on he would watch homeowners' rituals and peer through windows to find out when people would put codes into burglar alarms. Once he memorized a code, he would leave, go drinking, take a girl to a club, visit a strip club.

He described the tools he used: flashlight, screwdriver, lock-pick set. He strapped a double-edged diving knife to his forearm, he wrote.

He would break in about 12:30 or 1 a.m. and steal a key, then leave, and return the next morning and wait for the family to leave for the day. He would call his "hired help," who were drinking coffee at a local restaurant.

The help would arrive and park the vehicle in the garage of the targeted home. They would then go through the home stealing furniture, electronics, anything of value, and leave before lunchtime.

He detailed how all kinds of people hired him to do break-ins, although did not identify anyone by name.

He said he would enter homes through doors, windows and skylights. People who left their back doors unlocked were "asking for it," he said.

By using night-vision goggles, he wrote, "I have night vision. They have darkness."

Komisarjevsky admitted that break-ins were risky but wrote, "But hey, my life is defined by risk."

He described the sounds he would hear during evening break-ins in which he would enter a house as a family was winding down its day. As he laid in wait in the basement, he listened: The squeak of a floorboard, water rushing down a drain, the moan of the wind against the eaves of the home, the footsteps of the family.

"All the rituals of white folks of suburbia not knowing I am already in the house, waiting, watching their movements with my minds eye," he wrote.

by Anonymousreply 8610/20/2010

Agree with r79. I understand it's easy to critize the police. But fuck they didn't just mess up a little they messed 110%. Did any of the police get fired for this fiasco? Christ 3 people diied a horrible death and the police were fucking aware.

by Anonymousreply 8710/20/2010

The teller should never have told the police that Mrs Petit believed the robbers wouldn't hurt the family if she got the money.

by Anonymousreply 8810/20/2010

[quote] And then, the cops sit outside the house with their thumbs up their asses for 30 fucking minutes while that poor family was being tortured and killed inside%0D %0D According to the transcript at R86, it looks like the fire department wouldn't go near the house while it was on fire because they weren't sure if all the suspects were in custody.

by Anonymousreply 8910/20/2010

Josh's complete rantings at the link.

by Anonymousreply 9010/20/2010

Nobody cares about Josh's rantings. He's a killer and he's caught. End of story. %0D %0D Stop obsessing over these criminals and their crimes.

by Anonymousreply 9110/20/2010

Dr. Petit will be on Oprah today.

by Anonymousreply 9212/09/2010

Thank you, r92

by Anonymousreply 9312/09/2010

Stories like this make me want to have a gun in the house and use it to protect myself and my family.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 9412/09/2010

The teller at the bank did nothing wrong; Mrs Petit probably wanted so badly for the nightmare to be controlled and contained and resolved, that she presented it that way to the teller, and possibly to herself. It was a simple money/hostage situation, or so it was presented. Bring the money home and no one dies.

You'd have to be freakily clairvoyant to be the bank teller (or even the first responding police officers going on the bank teller's info) and see what was coming.

by Anonymousreply 9512/09/2010

I guess R82 is trying to be funny, or something. But it's obvious he's just a retard.

by Anonymousreply 9612/09/2010

Dr Petit, the sole survivor will be on Oprah today.

by Anonymousreply 9712/09/2010

The true crime story I'm interested in right now is the serial killer who fled the US with his girlfriend and moved to Panama. His name is William Dathan Holbert.

by Anonymousreply 9812/09/2010

I just read IN COLD BLOOD for the first time and was totally terrified by it, and then from Googling came across this Petit case being called a modern-day IN COLD BLOOD. I had heard of it, but never really read the details until now. This seems an order of magnitude worse than what the Clutter family endured - the fact that the terror went on for so many more hours... the torture of the mother actually getting to go to the safety of the outside world at the bank (Was she frantically trying in her head to decide what the best course of action was? Were the daughters hoping every minute she was gone that she would be bringing back help?)... the fact that rape and sexual assault and ejaculating onto an 11-year-old-girl was involved (Capote says in IN COLD BLOOD that Hickock wanted to rape teenage Nancy Clutter but Smith stopped him, although then I've read some of the investigators in the case say that was a fictional invention of Capote's)...

and then, worst of all, that the gas-soaked daughters were burned alive.... at least for the Clutters it was one shot and oblivion... but I can't imagine the torture the Petit girls went through (I think they said the older one was on fire when she escaped her restraints and crawled to the top of the stairs where she died)... Horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 9907/23/2013

Actually, the older daughter was able to break free of the bindings to her bed and tried to escape, but smoke inhalation was too much for her . . . her body was found on the floor of an upstairs hallway.

I never understood why she didn't try harder to save herself from the killers, as she was an athlete and large in height and size.

The mother was raped and killed within moments of returning to the house from the bank, by the bald killer.

by Anonymousreply 10007/23/2013

Must-read Esquire article for anyone interested in the case, with lots of details from Petit's point of view

by Anonymousreply 10107/24/2013

"I never understood why she didn't try harder to save herself from the killers, as she was an athlete and large in height and size."

They pointed a gun at her and then tied her to her bed. You sound like Mark Wahlberg, r100.

by Anonymousreply 10207/24/2013

Dr. Petit remarried in August of 2012.

by Anonymousreply 10307/24/2013

She didn't look scared to me in the bank surveillance video.

by Anonymousreply 10407/24/2013

There will never be a book like "In Cold Blood" again. Or even "Small Sacrifices."

48 Hours and Dateline and CNN have killed true crime fiction and the great dedicated authors who spent years following crimes and trials. Putting every participant in human context. They created compelling drama out of horror, tracing the victims and murderers history to their conclusion.

I seldom read the terrible details of horrific crimes anymore. There is no subtext or journalism involved, forget the brilliance of Truman Capote. Not every crime can be a book, but these are not simple media "stories", they are peoples lives.

We get brutal voyeuristic details, and cheap sound bite psychology. It deadens the spirits.

by Anonymousreply 10507/24/2013

It drives me crazy that the killers get TVs in their cells. I can't really explain why that feels so much worse to me than letting them read books, but it just does.

by Anonymousreply 10607/24/2013

To be honest, as a true crime buff, this case doesn't come close to all the gruesome crimes I know about. Don't get me wrong, it's terrible, but it doesn't make the long list of horrifying murders. It's pretty bland.

by Anonymousreply 10707/24/2013

So this thread wasn't bumped because of the HBO documentary? Huh.

by Anonymousreply 10807/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.