Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

WEHT Daniel Benedict and Andrew Safir - polished poufs

Where's their book?%0D %0D [italic]Four years ago, Gawker wrote:[/italic]%0D %0D [bold]Power Top, Power Bottom: Andrew Saffir and Daniel Benedict[/bold]%0D %0D %0D Today's New York Social Diary exists solely to pay reverence to the set's most polished poufs, Andrew Saffir and Daniel Benedict (you can call them "AND," darling). Together for the past 8 years, AND flit about Manhattan, the Hamptons and Palm Beach, sharing their love of bespoke suits, Greta Garbo, and scented candles with their many friends.%0D %0D The two are very savvy navigators of the upper strata of the New York social scene. They could write a book on how it is done successfully. %0D %0D They are one of the few examples of two people who move comfortably in all environments both singly or as a couple.%0D %0D Over/under on how long until these boys sign with a publisher: 3 weeks.%0D

by Anonymousreply 4001/09/2013

The many shades of Daniel Benedict

by Anonymousreply 109/15/2010

Benedict and Safir

by Anonymousreply 209/15/2010

I was always fascinated by the very orange Daniel Benedict. His facial expression is the same in every one of those photos, too. I bet he practiced that good and long in the mirror for hours at a time!

by Anonymousreply 309/15/2010

shiny, shiny, bad times behind me!

by Anonymousreply 409/15/2010

From FNO last week

by Anonymousreply 509/15/2010

It looks like Daniel got his new teeth and can smile again.

by Anonymousreply 609/16/2010

They are gay in only a secondary or tertiary sense.

They are *homosexuals* in the traditional sense.

They make rich socialites feel good about having gay pals outside of the service and hair/make-up industries.

But they are in way members of the LGBT community.

by Anonymousreply 709/16/2010

[quote]they are in way members of the LGBT community.%0D %0D %0D [italic]in way members[/italic]? Is there a translation available?

by Anonymousreply 809/16/2010

I wonder why they're so successful at getting themselves invited out every night in NYC but are unknown in Palm Beach. Don't they go south for the Winter?

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2010

Did they head to Palm Beach for the winter?

by Anonymousreply 1002/08/2011

I can't imagine a pair I would less like to meet.

by Anonymousreply 1102/08/2011

I'm assuming Safir is the one with the money, because there's no way Benedict would be with a guy who looks like that otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 1202/08/2011

They and Mark Gilbertson are the heir to Jerry Zipkin and other walkers who preceded them. They are somewhat more publicly out then Zip, Bill Blass and other walkers (bachelors) of an earlier time.

by Anonymousreply 1302/08/2011

I thought "walkers" were at the parties with females as their gay dates. These two seem to attend everything as a couple. %0D %0D Martha Stewart's ex-broker, Peter Bacanovic, was a popular walker.

by Anonymousreply 1402/08/2011

Yes they are a bit more out- but they often go to events, each, with a date (female). And my guess is they go to dinner parties matched with females.

by Anonymousreply 1502/08/2011

I love that Cityfile website. All of NY Society is listed there, and the categories are funny.

by Anonymousreply 1602/08/2011

Cityfile description of Mrs. Farkas is a hoot.%0D %0D Somers is the skeletal, overly tanned, on-again/off-again wife of Jonathan Farkas and a regular at black-tie events around town.%0D %0D Backstory%0D %0D A Virginia native (her real name happens to be Virginia Somers White), Somers arrived on the scene when she hooked up with Jonathan Farkas, an heir to the Alexander's department store fortune and a longtime playboy. Somers played hard to get initially%E2%80%94she reportedly turned down his first marriage proposal in 1998%E2%80%94but she eventually gave in and tied the knot with Farkas in 2001. Fifteen years his junior and his third wife, Somers also agreed to an unusual stipulation in a pre-nup%E2%80%94that she bear no children. "I get two wonderful stepchildren, and I have more time to spend on Jonathan. This way, we get to be kids together," she cheerfully told the Times. Unfortunately, while Somers never violated the no-child rule, Farkas decided to divorce her anyway in 2005 to ensure, the tabloids speculated, that she couldn't lay claim to half his fortune after the pre-nup expired. The story got stranger when they remained a couple even after divorce papers had been filed. And things got stranger still when Somers agreed to remarry Farkas in 2006.%0D %0D %0D Charity circuit%0D %0D %0D Farkas is gala chair of the annual Alzheimer's Association Rita Hayworth Gala, and active with the Strang Cancer Prevention Center, Environmental Defense and the New York Botanical Garden. %0D %0D If you have trouble finding Somers and Jonathan in the crowds, just look for the Humpty Dumpty-esque man accompanying a lady who resembles a stick of beef jerky.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1702/08/2011

And here is Somers in all her cryptkeeper glory. She honestly could scare children.

by Anonymousreply 1802/08/2011

"in way members? Is there a translation available?"%0D %0D "In no way members of the gay community."

by Anonymousreply 1902/08/2011

The blonde is a grifter.

by Anonymousreply 2002/08/2011

R20, do you mean the blonde woman with Somer Farkas? She's Chris Cuomo's wife.

by Anonymousreply 2102/08/2011

r21, r20 meant Daniel Benedict. He is/was caught up in a lawsuit that indicated grifting.

by Anonymousreply 2202/08/2011

Maybe they're lovely people, but I always get a creepy vibe from them.

Like I wouldn't be surprised if I one day read a long story in New York magazine about how one killed the other in a rage with a hair straightener. I don't know, maybe I have a weird imagination.

Do they have jobs, other then "putting" together the celebrity filled movie screenings? I imagine they spend a lot of time plotting how to become more famous.

by Anonymousreply 2302/08/2011

A good many of those NY Society types would stab their own grandmothers in the back if it suited them for some kind of personal gain. It's a very fucked-up world they live in.

by Anonymousreply 2402/08/2011

[quote]I just find it hard to believe she would deliberately walk off with the necklace %0D %0D Interesting, r22. They used to be in the NYSD every week and suddenly they were gone for awhile. Maybe that's when he got in trouble. I didn't hear anything about it. Do you have any more details?

by Anonymousreply 2502/08/2011

Oops! Wrong quote. Should be: Daniel Benedict. He is/was caught up in a lawsuit that indicated grifting.%0D

by Anonymousreply 2602/08/2011

by Anonymousreply 2702/09/2011

Here is a link to a story in the New York Post which is a shit rag mag, I know, but it does give you the gist of the lawsuit details. Benedict appears to have pissed off his business partner royally.

by Anonymousreply 2802/09/2011

Thanks R28. A Google search didn't turn that up, however it provided a link back to this thread. %0D %0D Basic info is: The four-year partnership in a scented candle business between socialite Marjorie Gubelmann and interior decorator Daniel Benedict has ended in a bitter legal battle over money. Gubelmann put up all the money to start the company and covered its losses over the years. %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2902/09/2011

White people's problems.

by Anonymousreply 3002/09/2011

I love Marjorie Gubelmann. She's very fat and rich. NCR cash register fortune.

by Anonymousreply 3102/09/2011

Marjorie Gubelmann is the nastiest, back stabbing bitch in Manhattan. Nobody could stay in business with her.

by Anonymousreply 3202/25/2011

Marjorie Gubelmann is so dreadful!

by Anonymousreply 3302/25/2011

Any updates on the infamous Benedict?

by Anonymousreply 3403/13/2011

Who's had them?

by Anonymousreply 3504/11/2011

You would never guess from looking at her that Marjorie Gubelmann was from a wealthy blue-blood society family. She looks like your typical American Wal-Mart shopper.

by Anonymousreply 3604/11/2011

They look creepy.

by Anonymousreply 3704/11/2011

[quote]Daniel Benedict. He is/was caught up in a lawsuit that indicated grifting.

Did he have to keep a low profile for a few seasons?

by Anonymousreply 3801/08/2013

Marjorie Gubelmann, NY Society's "Big Girl" married & divorced a homely Iranian, not before pumping out a kid.

by Anonymousreply 3901/08/2013

[quote]If you have trouble finding Somers and Jonathan in the crowds, just look for the Humpty Dumpty-esque man accompanying a lady who resembles a stick of beef jerky.

Best description of her, ever!

by Anonymousreply 4001/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!