Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why did The Golden Girls do so many "clip" shows?

They did one in seasons three, four, five, six and seven!

Who does a clip show in season 3? What the hell was wrong with their writers?

by Anonymousreply 4208/23/2014

How many times was the heat is off,everybody in one bed clip shown as part of these shows? Seems like just about every one.

by Anonymousreply 109/13/2010

"Clip" shows allow for a vacation for the cast and crew. God,do you have linguini for brains?

by Anonymousreply 209/13/2010

But didn't their clip shows have a lot of original footage besides the set-up. It seems like the memories/clips were new, too.%0D %0D I know, R3, I have shit for brains, but that's how I remembered it.

by Anonymousreply 309/13/2010

In related news. Spanish television is doing The Golden Girls (las Chicas Doradas) with an all star cast that includes Carmen Maura, from Women at the Verge..., as Dorothy. I think it premiers tonight, for all of you who have TVE on satellite.

by Anonymousreply 509/13/2010

Star Trek: The Next Generation did one in Season TWO.

by Anonymousreply 609/13/2010

Well Three's Company got away with doing the same plot for several seasons.

by Anonymousreply 709/14/2010

Some of the clip shows were "new" mememories, but most were just clips from previous seasons. Not to mention 2 of the clip shows were actually 2-part episodes.

by Anonymousreply 809/14/2010

Actually, the real answer is that Susan Harris, the show's creative spark, came down with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, as it was called at the time, and often wasn't able to complete a full script. Harris never fully recovered.

by Anonymousreply 909/14/2010

'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century' did one mid first season.

by Anonymousreply 1009/14/2010

Las chicas de oro, to be exact, tonight at 8:30/7:30 Central on TVEI.

by Anonymousreply 1109/14/2010

About the heat going off - they lived in fucking Miami, how cold does it get there?

by Anonymousreply 1209/14/2010

They do this on Desperate Housewives as well, but I think it's more to catch up viewers on the endless plot lines.

Was Golden Girls popular from the get-go or did they do this also to reuse clips that no one saw when it first started?

by Anonymousreply 1309/14/2010

I love these Golden Girls fan rationalizing the clip shows. It was done because it was cheap to do.

I knew a Golden Girls writer. He said they were always stealing bits from old movies and TV shows. So basically the entire series was a clip job.

Now go eat some cheesecake.

by Anonymousreply 1409/14/2010

I had thought at least one of the clip shows was due to a writer's strike going on at the time.

by Anonymousreply 1509/14/2010

Your main cast are four old women, every one of them a show biz vet - I'm surprised they ever got through a scene with the bitching, the rewriting, and the suggestions and ad-libbing - wouldn't you do a clip show just to get home on time for once?

by Anonymousreply 1609/14/2010

There are two different types of shows being confused here. The "Flashback" episodes started in Season 1 -- those were all original material, and were NOT just ideas that didn't make for complete episodes, though it later felt like it.

The first set up how they met and was extremely funny. Later seasons had well-constructed episodes (the bed-sharing episode, the birthdays episode, a mother's day episode). Later they became very weak (a valentine's day episode, a "rites of spring" episode, one about bad dates was pretty bad).

The "clip" episodes did start early because of writing problems, some related to Susan Harris, but not all. The network ordered full seasons of episodes in those days (26!) whether or not the writers had 26 episodes in them for a year.

There were plenty of great episodes through the seasons, but many that were flat, and when scripts didn't come together, it was an easy solution. It goes to show the imagination Hollywood often lacks.

by Anonymousreply 1709/14/2010

I think "WKRP" did one at the end of season one, or at the least in season two. The plot (such as it was) was Mama Carlson showing up to review the station ratings with Arthur and Andy. It lead to flashbacks with clips, not new material.%0D %0D The first "Simpsons" clip show I remember was titled "So It's Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show."

by Anonymousreply 1809/14/2010

That's too bad that Susan Harris never recovered from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Because when Dorothy Zbornak got it, she bounced right back the next week and it never affected her again!!

by Anonymousreply 1909/14/2010

Unrelated, but today is the 25th anniversary of the premiere of "The Golden Girls."

by Anonymousreply 2009/14/2010

Thanks r20. I have that on DVD. I'm going to watch it and drink a toast.

by Anonymousreply 2109/14/2010

Harold Gould, who played Rose's boyfriend, Miles, passed away today. He was 86.

by Anonymousreply 2209/14/2010

As well, in the 1988 strike-shortened season, they did a clip show because they didn't have writers. I don't remember the particular episode, but from what I read, the lines of the 4 girls were ad-libbed.

by Anonymousreply 2309/15/2010

God I feel old. %0D %0D I just googled. It started in 1985 and ended in 1992. %0D %0D It is like me watching the Brady Bunch in re-runs in the late 70/early 80s.%0D %0D It's official. I am old

by Anonymousreply 2409/15/2010

r16: how would you like your rear-end kicked across the street???

by Anonymousreply 2502/18/2013

R12, I live in Sarasota, and it's 35f right now. It doesn't get cold often in southern Florida, or stay cold long, but it does happen.

by Anonymousreply 2602/18/2013

They did clit shows because they're girls.

by Anonymousreply 2701/06/2014

[quote]Later they became very weak (a valentine's day episode, a "rites of spring" episode, one about bad dates was pretty bad).

The Valentine's Day episode gave us "Condoms, Rose! Condoms!" and wasn't the workout class skit from "Rites of Spring"? And the matching perms? I thought they were pretty great episodes.

by Anonymousreply 2801/06/2014

Yes, r28, the "CONDOMS! CONDOMS! CONDOMS!" moment alone is enough to justify the Valentine's Day episode, but the rest of it is funny enough, too.

The "Rites of Spring" episode, on the other hand, is really flat. Except for those two great visual moments of Dorothy and Blanche entering in their "Solid Gold"-esque workout clothes, and all the girls with Sophia-like perms, the episode is pretty strained, unfunny, and low-energy. The second, post-commercial act in particular, with Stan trying to pitch the girls on a self-help course, sucks.

by Anonymousreply 2901/06/2014

There was one show- maybe "Alf"? - that had a clip show in the middle of its first season.

And "Golden Girls" wasn't as bad as "Family Ties" which seemed to have at least two clip shows a season.

by Anonymousreply 3001/06/2014

Even though they lived in Miami, there are times when it can get really cold. I went to school in Fort Lauderdale. If the temp. was below 38 at 7:30am, there was no school that day. We usually got two or three "cold days" off from school every winter - like "snow days" in northern schools. Homes didn't have insulation and heaters for extreme cold. You just stayed in bed for most of the day. The clothes people wore when it was in the 40s and 50s was often very strange. People in South Florida usually don't have heavy winter coats so they end up wearing strange layers to keep warm and look as if they got dressed in a Salvation Army store.

by Anonymousreply 3101/06/2014

I love clip shows. Classic '80s.

by Anonymousreply 3201/06/2014

Clip shows are for when the writers have writers block.

by Anonymousreply 3301/06/2014

NBC ordered more than the 22 episodes per year. Instead of recycling story ideas, they just did a clip show to fill the order by the network.

It saved money and was cheap.

Meredith Baxter (Family Ties) wrote that she loved clip shows. These were NOT done in front of an audience, but usually after the audience left.

There were hardly any lines to memorize, no blocking to be done with cameras (as everyone was usually sitting down), and she could hide a glass of wine and take sips every now and then.

She said they were pure heaven, being paid a full week's episode for just one hour of work!

by Anonymousreply 3401/06/2014

by Anonymousreply 3501/06/2014

It seems like every time I flip the channel to Hallmark, they are sitting at the table eating a cheesecake and then the reminiscing starts, the screen starts to get fuzzy, and you KNOW what happens next. Idc how old someone is, no one has THAT many flashbacks that often!

by Anonymousreply 3708/23/2014

Even Mary Tyler Moore clip show at the end. It was the one where they showed Rhoda dying but in the next scene she was still alive.

by Anonymousreply 3808/23/2014

I know I'm talking to a ghost from March but, R36 go fuck yourself you bigoted piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 3908/23/2014

They loved those Clip-on earrings!!

by Anonymousreply 4008/23/2014

R33 try ten days without a bowl movement sometime.

by Anonymousreply 4108/23/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!