Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"The World Trade Center is an insatiable bottom"

This was the first reply in the WTC thread on DataLounge on 9/11/01. The thread used to be archived; I don't know where it is now.

by Anonymousreply 7001/29/2015

I still remember it. . . . .

by Anonymousreply 109/10/2010

The sky was so blue that day.

by Anonymousreply 209/10/2010

I commented on that thread near the beginning. I made a comment about chalupas being responsible for it. Chalupas were rabid lesbian fans of ER's Elizabeth Mitchell and Laura Innes.

by Anonymousreply 309/10/2010

Them Arabic boys were always so quiet and nice...

by Anonymousreply 409/10/2010

That was during Datalounge's "________ is an insatiable bottom" meme phase. It ended shortly thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 509/10/2010

We've become so much wittier and more sensitive since then.

by Anonymousreply 609/11/2010

Isn't it also where "I'm crying as I type!" started? I think the longer form was something like "OMG! My heart goes out. I'm crying as I type."

The DL historians can confirm or correct.

by Anonymousreply 709/11/2010

Thanks for clarifying. R5

by Anonymousreply 809/11/2010

Crying as I type came later. It's original incarnation was "I'm crying as I type. My heart goes out."

by Anonymousreply 909/11/2010

I remember posters saying they were sick of hearing about the WTC. Little did they know it would go on for the rest of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 1009/11/2010

Its* Sorry. Had a little medical weed when I got home.

by Anonymousreply 1109/11/2010

I really wish I could read that thread. I came to DataLounge a couple of years later and never read it, even though I think it was in the archives that used to be over on the left side. What a stupid thing not to have read it while it was there; what a stupid thing for DL to delete what is probably the most-mentioned and discussed thread in its history. (Its closest competitor being the classic can of frosting thread that also should never have been deleted.)

by Anonymousreply 1209/11/2010

That post pretty much saved me from a nervous breakdown.

I thought my sister (on Vesey Street) had died, since we didn't hear from her all day.

We finally got a call from her. Moments later, I read that line in the thread, and between tears and shock, laughed out loud.

I've since become an even more cynical bitchy queen who can laugh at any tragedy.

Thanks, DataLounge!

by Anonymousreply 1309/11/2010

It was not the first reply, although that would have been amazing. It was on the first page near the bottom (appropriately, as it turns out) but it wasn't r1.

by Anonymousreply 1409/11/2010

Did it include an extraordinary post by some screamer who was trapped in a stalled elevator at the WTC and tap-danced to showtunes to pass the time because he wasn't aware of the drama, and then the power failed and he was able to open the doors and escape? Or did I read it elsewhere?

by Anonymousreply 1509/11/2010

Wasn't the DL 9/11 thread archived in the Library of Congress? (Or was somebody pulling our leg about that?)

by Anonymousreply 1609/11/2010

My sister went to school with a guy who was killed in the WTC, but the fact that he might lived if he hadn't been told to stay put (he was in the second tower) and that he was a complete asshole from a family of assholes gave us a somewhat less sentimental perspective on the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 1709/11/2010

It was, r16. But because DLers hate 9/11 so much, the "insatiable bottom" reply is no longer a part of history in the archive. Now it is just an urban tale started by insane posters.

by Anonymousreply 1809/11/2010

OMG, the website layout was so tacky then!

by Anonymousreply 1909/11/2010

But where's the 9/11 thread on that Library of Congress site? When I select the date. . .there's no thread.

by Anonymousreply 2009/11/2010

the first posts of that thread:%0D %0D World Trade Center%0D by: anonymous 292 09/11/2001 @ 09:09AM This isn't gossip, but since this is a major gathering place, I wanted to tell everyone that 2 airplanes have crashed into the twin towers of the World Trade Center in New York City. It's on TV right now. %0D RE: World Trade Center%0D by: anonymous 09/11/2001 @ 09:12AM what the fuck ?! %0D I can't get into CNN or MSNBC. Please post more when you hear. %0D RE: World Trade Center%0D by: anonymous 09/11/2001 @ 09:12AM I hear the World Trade Center is an insatiable bottom. %0D RE: World Trade Center%0D by: anonymous 09/11/2001 @ 09:14AM It's shocking!!! The first plane was a mid-size plane and the second one appears to be a 727. They say at least one tower is leaning. %0D The communication transmitters for local NYC TV are on top of the World Trade center so viewers there aren't getting the info on local news. %0D RE: World Trade Center%0D by: anonymous 09/11/2001 @ 09:18AM i just heard about it! god, that is awful %0D RE: World Trade Center%0D by: Torta 09/11/2001 @ 09:24AM NBC is now reporting that it was a double hijack-suicide terrorist attack. %0D God... this is terrifying. %0D

by Anonymousreply 2209/11/2010

"Let's Roll" has been immortalized in tattoo form, although sadly without cinnamon or icing. Click the link and scroll to see some astoundingly tacky 9/11 tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 2309/11/2010

I found this, but it seems like it's just there to taunt us. Can anyone work some techno-geekery on this and find something?

by Anonymousreply 2409/11/2010

His back was so blue....

by Anonymousreply 2509/11/2010

Archive bump

by Anonymousreply 2607/16/2011

Watch and learn.

"The Pentacon".

by Anonymousreply 2707/16/2011

I read it couple of years ago when V6 started and the admin didnt know that you could bump ancient threads. And who has the power to remove something like that from the Library of Congress?

Anyway, you could tell from the thread that the hysteria had not started yet. It wasnt hundreds of replies chronicling every second like it would be today, when internet is at everyone's fingertips. People were still in shock and didnt know what to say, I think. Hence the legendary "insatiable bottom" comment. The only sad reply I remember was the "crying as I type" poster who lived in NYC and had finally reached home late that night.

by Anonymousreply 2807/16/2011

I came after 2001, but recall it was in an archive file linked to the front page as late as 2007, maybe?

It was worth reading through. Everyone went from snarky to horrified to attempts at snarky to worrying about people they knew who lived and worked down there.

I was still on USENET back in those days and one of the gals who always sent my jokes to the "funniest jokes on USENET" site was gone that day.

And of course, nothing is the same any more for many of us -- not the terrorism, but all the damage done by those who claim they are fighting terror, and "helping" the economy.

So in a way, i turned out to be true the WTC actually turned out to be an insatiable bottom, sucking into it everything in sight.

by Anonymousreply 2907/17/2011

In classic DL form, I remember a poster giving the original OP a ration of shit for calling DL "a major gathering place."

by Anonymousreply 3007/17/2011

How can we find archived threads again?

by Anonymousreply 3107/17/2011

Any luck finding the archived thread?

by Anonymousreply 3207/19/2011

DataLounge is blocked from via robots.txt.

by Anonymousreply 3307/19/2011

what does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 3407/19/2011

I posted a reply in that thread, and I was at home in Manhattan that very tragic day. I'll never forget that day.

by Anonymousreply 3507/19/2011

Robots.txt is a text file that website owners can use to tell certain robots/crawlers to ignore the site. Ex: DL's site owners allow it to be indexed by Google but not by the Internet Archive.

by Anonymousreply 3607/19/2011

This is a conspiracy to keep the gays out of history.

by Anonymousreply 3707/19/2011

so does that mean that we can't find archived thread anymore?

by Anonymousreply 3807/19/2011

That thread was the ONLY place we could get real-time news (this was back in the days before Twitter and You Tube, children) - the networks just kept showing loops of the planes and the collapsing buildings. DL members were essentially live-blogging events as they happened. %0D %0D I will always be grateful to those people in NYC who kept us all informed, especially since the phone connections to the East Coast had practically imploded.

by Anonymousreply 3907/19/2011

Meme me, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 4007/20/2011

I have a Word document which contains all, or at least most, posts. It is possible that I have ignored some asshole replies.%0D %0D The text "crying as I type" is not in this document.%0D %0D The last reply I coppied is from 01/02/2002.

by Anonymousreply 4107/20/2011

Those of us who are Americans here: we share a great privilege of living in a nation that enables us to argue, bicker, protest for our rights. To gossip with relish the way we do so often on this forum.

This is a time to reach out and link arms with other Americans. Even those who we stridently disagree with on gender/sexual issues. We share a great joy, a great privilege and a great responsibility of being in this nation.

Together, the way we respond as Americans to this tragedy is a chance to show our brothers and sisters that we are far more than sex-first strident protesters.

We are complete, whole beings.

Let us all, share the wholeness of our sorrow, our support, our horror, and our resolve with the rest of our nation.

The people affected are in my prayers.

by: Anonymous treply 421 t09/11/01 @22:24

by Anonymousreply 4207/20/2011

Texas Inmate Set to Die for Post-9/11 Killings

By MICHAEL GRACZYK Associated Press

HUNTSVILLE, Texas July 20, 2011 (AP)

Condemned inmate Mark Stroman looked to the federal courts to block his execution Wednesday evening for killing a Dallas-area convenience store clerk during a shooting he said was in retaliation for the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Stroman, 41, said he went on a shooting spree in the weeks following the 2001 attacks targeting people of Middle East descent, claiming it was a patriotic response to terrorism. Two men were killed and a third was wounded. All were from South Asia, not from the Middle East.

Stroman's lethal injection would be the eighth this year in Texas. At least seven other inmates in the nation's busiest death penalty state have execution dates in the coming weeks.

In an unusual step, the lone shooting survivor, Rais Bhuiyan, a native of Bangladesh and former convenience store worker who lost the sight of his eye when Stroman shot him in the face, asked the courts to halt the execution. In a lawsuit, he argued his religious beliefs as a Muslim told him to forgive Stroman. He also wanted to spend time with the convict to learn more about why the shootings occurred.

"Killing him is not the solution," Bhuiyan said. "He's learning from his mistake. If he's given a chance, he's able to reach out to others and spread that message to others."

Meanwhile, Stroman's lawyer was at the U.S. Supreme Court pointing to Bhuiyan's "significant surprise" and arguing that attorneys during Stroman's trial and in earlier stages of his appeals were deficient for not illustrating "the path that led him to this violent frenzy."

State attorneys disputed those arguments, contending Stroman was "misrepresenting the actual facts." They said lawyers had called witnesses who testified about Stroman's poor and abusive childhood, alcoholic parents, drug use and behavioral problems before and after Sept. 11, 2001. They also contested Bhuiyan's statements about acting on behalf of all the victims, including the widow of Vasudev Patel.

It was the shooting death of Patel, 49, during an attempted convenience store robbery in October 2001 in Mesquite, just east of Dallas, that put Stroman on death row. Patel had moved from India to Texas in 1983, and was a naturalized U.S. citizen.

His wife told the Dallas County district attorney's office no one had permission to speak on her behalf. She was not made available for media questions as the execution date neared.

Stroman was free on bond for a gun possession arrest when his shooting spree started. He had previous convictions for burglary, robbery, theft and credit card abuse, served at least two prison terms and was paroled twice. His juvenile record showed an armed robbery at age 12.

When police arrested him the day Patel was killed, they found the .44-caliber handgun used in the shooting. Stroman confessed, and court documents show he told authorities he belonged to the Aryan Brotherhood, a white supremacist prison gang. Prosecutors also say he told another jail inmate about the shootings and how automatic weapons police found in his car were intended for a planned attack at a Dallas-area shopping mall.

Stroman more recently has denied the white supremacist description. He also has avoided trouble in prison in recent years, said Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokeswoman Michelle Lyons. But in 2008, prison officials found a cell phone, a charger, a piece of metal sharpened to a point and what appeared to be marijuana in his cell. About the same time, he was written up by prison authorities for scratching an obscenity into some fresh paint in a visiting booth.

Stroman blamed the shootings on the loss of a sister in the collapse of one of the World Trade Center towers, although prosecutors said in court documents there's no firm evidence she ever existed.

by Anonymousreply 4307/20/2011

It was America that turned out to the be insatiable bottom. They just can stop letting people acting in the name of 9/11 keep fucking them in the ass, sans lube.

by Anonymousreply 4407/20/2011

To those of you around that day and posting onn DL- were there actually other DL threads that were active that day?

by Anonymousreply 4507/20/2011

We use to bump it every year. I wish we could still read it. It was very chilling to read.

by Anonymousreply 4607/20/2011

Oh, wow, R42, that was me. I didn't remember exactly what I said that day. Thanks for sharing that.

I'm still proud to be an American. And sitting in a 9/11 church service this morning with lots of toddlers climbing around their same-sex parents, I saw progress, and hope.

by Anonymousreply 4709/11/2011

I just read the thread a few months ago, probably from The Library of Congress website. It didn't occur to me to save it because I thought it was archived at LoC. It was an interesting thread in many ways, though not as dramatic as you might think; it was definitely a different time, 2001.

by Anonymousreply 4809/11/2011

You know, years ago I told my mother about OP's quoted comment, and she burst out laughing. I don't even know if she knew exactly what it meant.

by Anonymousreply 4909/11/2011

I wish we could turn 9/11 into a day we can mourn all the freedoms we allowed our government to take from us.

by Anonymousreply 5009/11/2011

World Trade Center

Original Post t

This isn't gossip, but since this is a major gathering place, I wanted to tell everyone that 2 airplanes have crashed into the twin towers of the World Trade Center in New York City. It's on TV right now. by: Anonymous t428 posts t09/11/01 @09:09

what the fuck ?! I can't get into CNN or MSNBC. Please post more when you hear. tby: Anonymous treply 1 t09/11/01 @09:12

I hear the World Trade Center is an insatiable bottom. tby: Anonymous treply 2 t09/11/01 @09:12

It's shocking!!! The first plane was a mid-size plane and the second one appears to be a 727. They say at least one tower is leaning. The communication transmitters for local NYC TV are on top of the World Trade center so viewers there aren't getting the info on local news. tby: Anonymous treply 3 t09/11/01 @09:14

i just heard about it! god, that is awful tby: Anonymous treply 4 t09/11/01 @09:18

NBC is now reporting that it was a double hijack-suicide terrorist attack. God... this is terrifying. tby: Torta treply 5 t09/11/01 @09:24

Now they're calling it a terrorist attack. The second plane is thought to possibly be a United Airlines passenger plane that was hijacked earlier in the morning, but there was no mention on that channel about whether they thought the plane had passengers. tby: Anonymous treply 6 t09/11/01 @09:25

Find out who did it and nuke their fucking country straight to hell. tby: Anonymous treply 7 t09/11/01 @09:25

It's like Pearl Harbor. I can hear F-16's flying overhead. tby: Anonymous treply 8 t09/11/01 @09:27

Hopefully it wasn't an air traffic controller error. tby: Anonymous treply 9 t09/11/01 @09:30

Now they're saying the second plane may have been an American Airlines plane enroute from Boston to LA, although that is just speculation. tby: Anonymous treply 10 t09/11/01 @09:30

Just heard Dubya, who says unequivocally that it was a terrorist attack. tby: Anonymous treply 11 t09/11/01 @09:34

Oh man, now some guy on NBC is saying that they felt an explosion at the Pentagon, which may not have anything to do with anything and it could just be construction going on at the building. tby: Anonymous treply 12 t09/11/01 @09:40

Now they're showing smoke billowing from the Pentagon. This is scary. tby: Anonymous treply 13 t09/11/01 @09:44

there was just a second explosion at the pentatgon. it is being evacuated now per ther radio tby: Anonymous treply 14 t09/11/01 @09:45

Now a Palestinian group has claimed responsibility for the NYC attack and NBC is saying they're evacuating some people from the White House. tby: Anonymous treply 15 t09/11/01 @09:46

It was also a plane that crashed into the Pentagon! tby: Anonymous treply 16 t09/11/01 @09:51

NBC says all US airports have now been told that no airplanes are to be allowed to fly and all flights are cancelled until further notice. tby: Anonymous treply 17 t09/11/01 @09:54

Well all sorts of people are going to claim credit, but it has to be someone with a number of trained pilots. tby: Anonymous treply 18 t09/11/01 @09:57

Exactly how do they put that fire out at the world trade center? tby: Anonymous treply 19 t09/11/01 @09:59

I'd hate to be a towelhead right now. tby: Anonymous treply 20 t09/11/01 @09:59

09:59 - With that attitude, you are one reason why this happened. tby: Anonymous treply 21 t09/11/01 @10:00

According to the BBC, the early reports that a Palestinian group had claimed responsibility are false, and there is little likelihood of this in any case. More probable is Osama Ben-Ladin or his like. tby: Anonymous treply 22 t09/11/01 @10:00

Can't get into any of the news sites tby: Anonymous treply 23 t09/11/01 @10:01

by Anonymousreply 5309/11/2012

They just said that perhaps the world trade center would have to be completely brought down. tby: Anonymous treply 24 t09/11/01 @10:01

The one tower of the Trade center just collapsed tby: Anonymous treply 25 t09/11/01 @10:02

The Pentagon was also hit by a terrorist-suicide plane. White House evacuated. All air traffic shut down nationwide. tby: Torta treply 26 t09/11/01 @10:02

... tby: Anonymous treply 27 t09/11/01 @10:02

One tower is now reported as having collapsed. tby: Anonymous treply 28 t09/11/01 @10:02

It looks like the first tower that was hit is leaning. The pictures on NBC are horrifying. Chicago is evacuating the Sears Tower to be on the safe side. tby: Anonymous treply 29 t09/11/01 @10:03

I'll bet Dubya is wishing Al was president right now. They're saying there was probably a full plane of passengers on that American Airlines plane hijacked after it left Boston. tby: Anonymous treply 30 t09/11/01 @10:07

Probably far too early to ask "who did this"--regardless of what the Palestinians have said. At this time, I think the better question for news folks here is--what planes are currently in the air and how sure are we that they will make it down safe? tby: Anonymous treply 31 t09/11/01 @10:13

Nobodys going to be coming in or going out of this country for a week. tby: Anonymous treply 32 t09/11/01 @10:16

All flights nationwide have been cancelled by the FAA until further notice. Condolences to the victims & their families. tby: Renee treply 33 t09/11/01 @10:17

All of the major government buildings in D.C. are being evacuated. All skyscrapers in L.A. are being evacuated. tby: Anonymous treply 34 t09/11/01 @10:18

The local airport is allowing planes to land but none are allowed to take off. tby: Anonymous treply 35 t09/11/01 @10:19

so i just wake up and hear this news on the radio...and the first thing i do is sign onto the Datalounge. Anyway, the reporter who is on CBS right now sounds absolutely frantic, are there really mass casualties? Any updates on lives lost? tby: Anonymous treply 36 t09/11/01 @10:22

NBC says a car bomb has exploded outside the State Department! tby: Anonymous treply 37 t09/11/01 @10:24

They're also saying another plane was hijacked and it's headed towards DC. tby: Anonymous treply 38 t09/11/01 @10:25

But that has not been confirmed. NBC says the NYC casualties must be a horrific number because of how many people work at the Trade Center. tby: Anonymous treply 39 t09/11/01 @10:26

NPR just had a report on smoke at the White House, which has been evacuated. tby: Anonymous treply 40 t09/11/01 @10:26

Unconfirmed report of another hijacking. All international flights have been diverted to Canada. tby: Anonymous treply 41 t09/11/01 @10:27

Estimates of casualties in NYC by reporters now: thousands. tby: Anonymous treply 42 t09/11/01 @10:28

Looks like Dubya's going to get himself a nice war. Probably just what he needs to help his re-election bid - like what the hostages did for Reagan. Donald Rumsfeld must be giddy with anticipation by now. tby: Anonymous treply 43 t09/11/01 @10:28

Any pedestrians near the Pentagon "TAKE COVER", due to the possible second hijacking. tby: Anonymous treply 44 t09/11/01 @10:28

NOW we'll see what the PUPPET 'President' is made of.

"DADDY!!! WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOO???!!!" tby: Anonymous treply 45 t09/11/01 @10:28

The second tower just collapsed tby: Anonymous treply 46 t09/11/01 @10:29

The other tower just collapsed. This is the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. tby: Anonymous treply 47 t09/11/01 @10:29

Holy shit. The second tower just collapsed. tby: NonDrinking Buddy (authenticated) treply 48 t09/11/01 @10:29

The terrorists attacked because they know we have a WEAKLING in the White house. tby: Anonymous treply 49 t09/11/01 @10:29

Stay on this line, folks. So far you've been minutes ahead of many news services. tby: Anonymous treply 50 t09/11/01 @10:31

Bomb squad has been sent to Union Station in DC. tby: Anonymous treply 51 t09/11/01 @10:37

Large plane crash about 80 miles southeast of Pittsburgh. tby: Anonymous treply 52 t09/11/01 @10:

by Anonymousreply 5409/11/2012

Summerset county airport has confirmed large plane crash 80 miles southeast of Pittsburgh. tby: Anonymous treply 53 t09/11/01 @10:41

What news sites are accessible right now??? tby: NonDrinking Buddy (authenticated) treply 54 t09/11/01 @10:43

George W. Bush is in the air right now headed for DC. He is supposed to have a press conference around 11:30 Eastern time. A low level F-16 just flew air cover over Washington. This is a sign of War. tby: Anonymous treply 55 t09/11/01 @10:44

I'm watching NBC news on Television. tby: Anonymous treply 56 t09/11/01 @10:45

NYC subway system has been shut down. tby: Anonymous treply 57 t09/11/01 @10:45

AP report about Summerset airport report confirmed. Boeing plane, missed which model they said. tby: Anonymous treply 58 t09/11/01 @10:47

MY local news station in Baltimore is saying the FBI is asking that everyone limit their use of cell phones and regular phones. I think we're overloading the lines. As far as I know, most if not all of the online news sites are overloaded and I can't get on to any of them. tby: Anonymous treply 59 t09/11/01 @10:48

Believe it or not, I'm getting the best updates (online) from tby: Anonymous treply 60 t09/11/01 @10:48

Reports of people jumping out of the windows at the WTC shortly after the crash. tby: Anonymous treply 61 t09/11/01 @10:49

CIA and National Security Agency (NSA) have been evacuated now. I'm not very far away from NSA. Is it too late to move to another state? tby: Anonymous treply 62 t09/11/01 @10:50

Manhattan is sealed off, all train and bus service halted. tby: Anonymous treply 63 t09/11/01 @10:55

Roughly 50,000 people work at the WTC. tby: Anonymous treply 64 t09/11/01 @10:57

Federal employees have been given the option of leaving for the day. St. Vincents hospital in NYC hundreds of people have been burned from head to toe. tby: Anonymous treply 65 t09/11/01 @11:00

It was a Boeing 767 that crashed near Pittsburgh. It's unclear if it is connected. This is the worst terrorist attack since Pearl Harbor. tby: Anonymous treply 66 t09/11/01 @11:02

I just heard that there are more hijacked planes still in the air, but not sure this is true. Can anyone confirm/deny? tby: Anonymous treply 67 t09/11/01 @11:03

This is magnitudes worse than Pearl Harbor. tby: Anonymous treply 68 t09/11/01 @11:03

American Airlines says another one on its way to Washington tby: Anonymous treply 69 t09/11/01 @11:04

American airlines flight 11 from Logan airport to Los Angeles is confirmed as one of the planes involved in the WTC. Faa is confirming that several airplanes are unaccounted for. tby: Anonymous treply 71 t09/11/01 @11:05

It's not *worse* than PH, but it's close. tby: Renee treply 72 t09/11/01 @11:05

I just think this she teach us all something instead of laughing and makeing racist jokes about people names and just racism, discrimination against gays, etc should not be tolerated any longer we should start loving one another this should teach us if anything to value life and each other ! tby: Anonymous treply 73 t09/11/01 @11:07

by Anonymousreply 5509/11/2012

[quote]Isn't it also where "I'm crying as I type!" started? I think the longer form was something like "OMG! My heart goes out. I'm crying as I type."

... which later spawned "I'm pre-lubing as I type!"

by Anonymousreply 5609/11/2012

oh MARY!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5709/11/2012

I would call it worse than Pearl Harbor. Say what you will about the morality of a sneak attack on Pearl Harbor, military targets are fair game in wartime. This was a cowardly attack on a massive civilian target. tby: Anonymous treply 74 t09/11/01 @11:07

There are eight planes reportedly hijacked or unaccounted for in the air over the U.S. The Air Force is shooting them out of the sky. I saw the first tower go down. People were sobbing in the streets. We are at War. tby: Anonymous treply 75 t09/11/01 @11:09

It's definitely worse than Pearl Harbor - not in terms of casualties, but in terms of terror. Pearl Harbor was an attack on military personnel at a military base in Hawaii. This was/is an attack on a purely civilian target in the heart of New York City. During peacetime. tby: Anonymous treply 76 t09/11/01 @11:10

My God does it matter if it's worse or not Good God Where's your people heart at people are dead and more will be and all you can do is compare this with Pearl Harbor that was tragedy and this is too !All I can think of is how sad this all is not comparing one tragedy to the other ! tby: Anonymous treply 77 t09/11/01 @11:11

I know this will sound corny, but my thoughts and prayers are with the people of NYC and the families and the passengers on those hijacked planes. I have never felt so sick and heavy at heart as I do now. I'm at work and will probably start crying soon.

I appreciate everybody updating this thread. Can't get on to any news or newspaper sites. tby: JB treply 78 t09/11/01 @11:14

Possibly 10,000 people in each tower plus 5,000 people visiting at the time of this horror. tby: Anonymous treply 79 t09/11/01 @11:15

Unconfirmed report here that NYU hospital has been hit [!!!???] tby: Anonymous treply 80 t09/11/01 @11:15

i'm having trouble getting through too -- would the person who posted about 8 airplanes and air force shooting please give more info!!!!??? tby: Anonymous treply 81 t09/11/01 @11:16

I hope to God they were able to get as many evacuated as possible before the buildings collapsed. I'm hearing reports of stampedes. God help us all. tby: Anonymous treply 82 t09/11/01 @11:16

You're right. Both were tragedies that involved the senseless deaths of innocent people. tby: Renee treply 83 t09/11/01 @11:16

F-16 fighter jets are trying to intercept a jet headed toward the Pentagon according to Dallas MN website. (Not the earlier plane from this mormning) tby: Anonymous treply 84 t09/11/01 @11:16

I'm in my office in NYC no news can't get through on anything. friends keeping me up to date on email pretty good. keep the posts coming. tby: Anonymous treply 85 t09/11/01 @11:17

Correction: I meant *are*, not were. tby: Renee treply 86 t09/11/01 @11:17

Let's not forget it was a cracker who was responsible for the last major terrorist attack in this country. I am praying that every Arab American I know is safely home away from assholes who want to bomb the "towel heads". tby: Anonymous treply 87 t09/11/01 @11:18

I have not heard anything about the air force shooting down planes, and I'm watching television. They had roughly an hour and 15 minutes to evacuate the building before the first tower collapsed. tby: Anonymous treply 88 t09/11/01 @11:18

There saying they don't know what to do President Bush or his camp plus they wanna get all of Congress out of Washington DC. This is what they are saying now. I wonder if that plane that crashed in Somerset PA has anything to do with this. I think more than one terrorist group had something to do with this . Bin Laden blabbed his mouth to London reporters last week saying they would put together an attack against The US within weeks to come this is what Dan Rathers Just said. tby: Anonymous treply 89 t09/11/01 @11:19

50 foot hole on E-ring of Pentagon...still burning badly. tby: Anonymous treply 90 t09/11/01 @11:20

by Anonymousreply 5809/11/2012

From MSNBC.Com for those who can't get through

NEW YORK, Sept. 11 — Americans reeled in horror Tuesday as the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history sent planes crashing into the World Trade Center in New York, toppling the twin 110-story towers. An explosion later rocked the Pentagon in Washington. The White House, the Pentagon and the Capitol building were evacuated. Military jets patrolled the skies above both cities. The FAA grounded all civilian aircraft nationwide, but not before reports of another large aircraft crashing in Western Pennsylvania. President Bush vowed to “hunt down the folks who committed this act.”

September 11 — A plane collides with World Trade Center Tower 1 on Tuesday, some eighteen minutes after a first plane struck the other tower.

THE FATE OF those in the twin skyscrapers was not immediately known. Authorities had been trying to evacuate the thousands of people who work in the twin towers, but many were thought to be trapped. “I swear I’ve never seen anything like this,” said MSNBC’s Ashleigh Banfield. “This whole place is like a complete war zone.” At the Pentagon, eyewitnesses saw an aircraft crash into part of the sprawling complex. Walls were later seen to have collapsed. An earlier report of a car bomb exploding outside the State Department was later denied. In New York, the aircraft struck minutes apart, starting fires and sending smoke billowing out of the skyscrapers. The top of the south tower later collapsed onto the street below. The first crash happened shortly before 9 a.m. ET. reporter Martin Wolk, who was inside one of the towers, said the lights flickered and then a loud bang was heard. People panicked and started to flee the building. When they reached the lobby, smoke started to fill the building and people could see debris falling and many cars outside were damaged. “It was sheer pandemonium, people were screaming and crying, afraid to go outside because of the falling debris,” Wolk said. “We looked up and it looked like the top 20 floors were in flames.” Another bystander described a barrage of debris raining down on the sidewalk below.

Shortly after 9 a.m., a second aircraft was seen crashing into the other tower. Broadcast cameras already watching the scene filmed the second plane as it slammed into the tower and exploded in a huge fireball. A half hour later, President Bush made a brief statement to reporters, calling the disaster a “national tragedy” and attributing it to terrorists. He did not cite any specific terrorist groups but vowed to “hunt down the folks who committed this act.” U.S. military jets reportedly took to the skies to shoot down any unidentified aircraft, and congressional leaders were taken to secure locations. A plane was reported to have been circling the Capitol building before the evacuation. American Airlines later acknowledged that one of its flights had been hijacked Tuesday morning shortly after leaving Boston en route to Los Angeles. In the wake of the crashes, New York airports and the Lincoln Tunnel were closed as precautionary measures. The stock exchanges in New York also did not open. Large holes were visible in sides of the 110-story buildings. The tops of the twin towers were obscured by the smoke. Thousands of pieces of what appeared to be office paper came drifting over Brooklyn, about three miles from the tower, one witness said.

Click on the image for reports of the terrorism attacks. In an earlier terrorist attack, the center was bombed on Feb. 26, 1993, killing six people and injured more than 1,000 others. Terrorist Ramzi Yousef and three others were convicted of orchestrating the attack. Three other indicted co-conspirators remain at large. Traffic entering New York City from New Jersey was at a standstill approaching the Holland Tunnel as motorists stood outside their cars watching the fire. Across the country, highrises like Chicago’s Sears Trade tower were being evacuated as a precaution. Buildings were also being evacuated in London. tby: HappyMail treply 91 t09/11/01 @11:21

by Anonymousreply 5909/11/2012

Please, does anyone know what's happening now. What has been bombed in Washington? tby: Anonymous treply 92 t09/11/01 @11:21

JB, its not corny to feel that way. All of us do. This is unbelievable. Pam (Dallas) tby: Anonymous treply 93 t09/11/01 @11:21

I'm hearing all this on the radio here in Zurich, Switzerland, and I can tell you all our thoughts and prayers are with you here as well. Updates: Rudy Giuliani has ordered the evacuation of Manhattan south. Parts of the Pentagon have definately collapsed and are in flames. A car bomb exploded at the State Department. No further details. All DC government buildings have been evacuated. All flights to the US have either turned back or are attempting to land in Canada. US government buldings here in Switzerland are being protected and/or evacuated. This is an incredibly violent, obviously well-prepared and logistically incredibly sophisticated attack. I think we haven't heard the end of this yet. The shock of this is horrendous. I think if you live near any major city I'd consider leaving. tby: Anonymous treply 94 t09/11/01 @11:22

There is a hijacked 747 on the ground in Cleveland, there are explosives on board, it has been towed away from the airport. It is surrouded by a SWAT team. tby: Anonymous treply 95 t09/11/01 @11:23

Flight 77 from Dulles in Virginia to LA was hijacked. It's an American airlines plane. They believe it was the second plane that slammed into the tower. The first plane was the American airlines plane from Boston to LA with 81 passengers. tby: Anonymous treply 96 t09/11/01 @11:23

Leaving???? In what the subway??? I don't think so! tby: BostonBoy treply 97 t09/11/01 @11:24

Please no racism now I'm Black and I would think calling someone a cracker or any other name should be least on someone's mind please guys lets stick to hoping friends , families, and people in general are ok ! I pray my friend that work in Manhattan are ok I'm still trying to get in touch with my family . I hope you all are ok ! tby: Anonymous treply 98 t09/11/01 @11:24

Oh my God!! tby: Anonymous treply 99 t09/11/01 @11:26

Downtown Dallas is being evacuated. Streets are lined with firetrucks ect. Dont know what is going on. Have now heard two unaccounted planes heading toward Dallas. ???? tby: Anonymous treply 100 t09/11/01 @11:26

I saw the first Trade Tower collapse. People were screaming and sobbing as it came down. When the second one came down, there was a man screaming behind me. Reports from NYC are that the entire southern tip of Manhattan is being evacuated. Authorities fear gas leaks. The significance of the date, September 11 has just been broadcast. It's the anniversary of the signing of the Camp David Peace Accords. tby: Anonymous treply 101 t09/11/01 @11:27

There are FBI people downstairs in my Dallas office bld. They might evacuate my bld next tby: Anonymous treply 102 t09/11/01 @11:29

A plane is heading up the Potomac river in DC at a high rate of speed. They are watching it closely tby: Anonymous treply 103 t09/11/01 @11:30

It's been confirmed that another plane crashed into Camp David, which would make sense if that's the rationale for all this. President Bush is in the air aboard Air Force One - apparently that's the standard procedure in scenarios like this one. It's easier to defend AF1 (with its F-16 escorts) than any ground location. tby: Anonymous treply 104 t09/11/01 @11:31

Most of the bldgs. in downtown Houston are being evacuated. tby: Anonymous treply 105 t09/11/01 @11:31

That report about the plane heading up the Potomac is a police report. They are anxiously watching the southern skies in DC. tby: Anonymous treply 106 t09/11/01 @11:32

Congress has been evacuated to a safe location. tby: Anonymous treply 107 t09/11/01 @11:34

All major airlines closed in all cities, this is awful and horrendous! Just when you thought the U.S. was safe. tby: Anonymous treply 108 t09/11/01 @11:35

Just heard Canada was closing its airspace as well tby: Anonymous treply 109 t09/11/01 @11:36

by Anonymousreply 6009/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 6109/11/2012

Thanks r61! The cut/pasting was getting to be a bore...

by Anonymousreply 6209/11/2012

[quote]My mom heard from a friend who works for CNN that our own military shot down the plane headed for Camp David because it was confirmed hijacked. Any one else hear this? (not convinced it's true) by: anonymous 09/11/2001 @ 19:49

by Anonymousreply 6409/11/2012

I think I was r1 on that thread. I heard the news on NPR just as I was getting out of my car for work. I got on my PC at my desk and was trying to get on to CNN or MSNBC but there was too much traffic.

by Anonymousreply 6509/12/2012

R61, thanks for archiving that. REALLY good postings there, it shows how much more aware most of us were back then.

by Anonymousreply 6609/12/2012

I remember that time.

by Anonymousreply 6701/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 6809/07/2014

This is the worst

by Anonymousreply 6901/29/2015

Thank you R61!

by Anonymousreply 7001/29/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!